Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Atlantic Crossing" on PBS

I watched all of the episodes online.

I thought it was very well done. Interesting story -- about how the Crown Princess of Norway used FDR's desire for her pussy to score some battleships -- and the effects that manipulation had on her marriage.

I could only wish that my bussy were worth a few battleships.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2021 8:43 PM

Where online did you watch all the episodes?

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2021 1:18 AM

I received an e-mail from PBS with a discussion of the program, basically what was true, and what was fiction. I had no idea the King of Sweden would write to Hitler, to ease the passage of the Princess, perhaps that was fiction. When I visited Denmark, Norway did visit the WWII memorials and wanted to get more information on the soprano Kirsten Flagstad's husband dealings with the traitor Vidkum Quisling during the war.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2021 1:19 AM

I like it so far, have watched the first two episodes. Want to know where to watch the rest online because I've checked all of my usual sites and they don't have it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2021 1:47 AM

My maternal grandparents lived in Norway during the Nazi occupation, so I'm enjoying the series so far. I'm not big on subtitles stuff but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

R3 You can watch the whole series on Amazon Prime if you have the PBS subscription (I'm using the free 30 day trial they offer).

R2 King Gustav of Sweden was sympathetic to the Nazis prior to the war but his motivations were more motivated by keeping Sweden unoccupied and the survival of the Norwegian monarchy. BTW Gustav was gay and had numerous affairs with men over his life time, and later in his life was blackmailed by a young footman who worked in the palace...this was alluded to in episode 2 when the young butler gives the King a very long and suggestive look which the King takes as his signal that it's time for bed.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 3:50 AM

Great series, I am loving Harriet Sansom Harris as Eleanor.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote] I could only wish that my bussy were worth a few battleships

The day has just begun. Get to work

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2021 4:31 AM

"his motivations were more motivated"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 4:39 AM

Song for R7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2021 5:31 AM

Kyle M. is doing a much better job of playing FDR than I ever thought he would.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2021 5:37 AM

This is a part of history that for some reason most people don't know about. You would think the Crown Princess of Norway being so close to the President during the entire war would be much more well-known than it is.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2021 5:38 AM

R5 This is actually her third time playing Eleanor Roosevelt. She played her on stage, then in Ryan Murphy's Hollywood, and now Atlantic Crossing.

I have to admit, I think the guy playing Crown Prince Olav is damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 6:16 AM

Watching this it's kind of shocking how little the "America First" mentality hasn't changed in 80 years. It truly is an embarrassment that it took Pearl Harbour for us to enter the war. Britain would have fallen eventually and with it, the whole empire which included Canada. We would have been surrounded.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 6:19 AM

I continue watching and each episode I find as boring as the last. The Crown Prince is the reason I continue watching.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2021 7:52 PM

interesting because The Crown Princess was no raving beauty. She was very tall, and had a hawk-like nose. She must have had a lot of charm to compensate.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2021 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!