Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays: Tell Me About Shonen Knife

A Japanese all-girl punk band who played Ramones songs, Japanese punk songs and songs with cutesy lyrics about ice cream and candy?

Kurt Cobain loved them and had them open for Nirvana.

And their most famous song is their cover of DL face Carpenters "Top Of The World"

Were they supposed to be camp? Cool? A little of both?

Were they well known outside of music nerds? Did they ever get radio play beyond the "alternative" stations of the 80s and 90s?

Were Madonna and Cher-loving eldergays even aware of their existence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 8:23 PM

Love them!

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2021 12:26 AM

They have a song called Redd Kross about the band Redd Kross that's pretty good. The band Redd Kross is good too

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2021 12:28 AM

They were great - saw them live once. They were pretty damn niche however - most people just wouldn’t get them.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2021 12:34 AM

Loved them, as well as the 5-6-7-8s.

I've never heard either of them played at a gay bar. Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2021 1:47 AM

They aren’t a band that would attract a lot of gay fans, and I wouldn’t expect many “eldergays” (eye roll) on DL to know about them.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2021 1:48 AM

OP, the answer to all of your questions is No.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2021 3:24 AM

A group of friends were obsessed with them in college. I can't count the number of times I played their Carpenters cover. As others have said, they weren't many people's cup of tea. Saw them live once and had a blast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2021 3:43 AM

I loved them and was actually thinking of them recently. I wonder what they’re up to now?

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2021 3:54 AM

They're still going -- the put out an album and toured in the US ande Europe just pre-covid.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2021 3:59 AM

^ they ^^ US and Europe

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2021 4:00 AM

Was really into them a long time ago, had their album "Let's Knife!"

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2021 5:33 AM

I only knew about them because their song was in The Broken Hearts Club movie.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2021 6:33 AM

"Tuppo di vorl."

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2021 6:43 AM

Super Junky Monkey are better. Foot-stomping hip-hop punkcore with attitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2021 7:57 AM

Your typical Top 40 hits of the 80s elder gay is probably oblivious to them but there are plenty of us more savvy music fans of the era who are aware of them and like them very much.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2021 8:05 AM

Not elder but I did discover them recently when I heard Top of the world on a streaming site and sought out their music.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2021 8:26 AM

I know them and haven’t thought of them in 25yrs. Tells you something.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2021 8:33 AM

They still tour! I have tickets to see them in October in the UK, assuming things are still safe by then.

They are an oddity in that sometimes it seems like I am their only fan and yet other times it seems like they are everywhere. I would have anyone with a general understanding of underground music will probably have heard of them.

In addition to Top of the World, they also did a song for the Powerpuff Girls which many remember from Cartoon Network commercials.

Their songs Music Square, Tomato Head and Quavers are among my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2021 9:23 AM

They were pretty great. Had their album, Let's Knife, on Vinyl. It rocked. My favorite song was Riding On The Rocket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2021 9:40 AM

So cute. While audiences applaud them after each song, they'd shoot devil-horns with their hands — like they were metal gods.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 9:48 AM

Sluts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2021 10:03 AM

This thread wouldn’t be complete without mentioning Cibo Matto - extra sugar, extra salt, extra oil & MSG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2021 2:35 PM

I love them. Just listened to their cover of “Blitzkrieg Pop” yesterday.

Their “Rock Animals” album is somewhere around here. I still sing those songs around the house, to this day. My cat knows the words to “Catnip Dream” by heart. It’s not on Spotify (why?!), but some of the genius little songs are on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2021 2:46 PM

There's a tribute album out there - somebody figure out they were a favorite of many bands in the 80's/90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2021 2:57 PM

Had them in heavy rotation, along with The Donnas, Slant 6, and The Rondelles. I was a nasty bitch, in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2021 3:07 PM

Thank you all! This is great and will give me even more to listen to!

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2021 3:18 PM

Saw eX Girl when they opened for Siouxsie & The Banshees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2021 3:46 PM

If you like Shonen Knife, you'll love Otoboke Beaver.

Trust me.

(play it LOUD)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote]My favorite song was Riding On The Rocket.

Shaking her hip, blue-eyed cat does the mambo!

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!