Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

PR Disaster: Why Do Police Officers Keep Killing Black People More Than Whites

Reporter: "Why is it that police officers in the United States keep killing young Black men and young Black women at a far far far higher rate than they do white people?"

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon: "I don't have an answer to that question."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 16, 2021 12:00 AM

No comment! They’ll do better next time, dontcha know? 🤡

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2021 12:24 AM

Well...

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2021 12:24 AM

Just admit it dude.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2021 12:35 AM

Certain people will never admit it r3

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2021 4:15 AM

How do you know they are killing black people more? It just gets the news coverage, where as other races who are shot don’t.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote]How do you know they are killing black people more? It just gets the news coverage, where as other races who are shot don’t.

If only researchers were able to analyze the data.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2021 4:31 AM

Black people are more likely to be poor and live in bad neighborhoods and thus have more encounters with the police. In a country where everyone is armed, police shoot more often.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2021 4:40 AM

R6, the real question is not “why are black people being shot more?”, but rather, why are people of color in general being killed more often?

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2021 4:41 AM

I was watching that news conference and that chief was sweating like a pig At one point he was like clearly on the verge of tears and was saying "look, I'm emotional, ok?" and I was like "you better break down and cry you little betch" đź‘€

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2021 5:18 AM

The dead perp had arrest warrants and he tried to escape while being arrested

Follow the policewoman’s orders. If anyone does not take that advice, the odds of getting shot in the chest are greatly increased.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2021 5:29 AM

I wonder if there has ever been any analysis of the percentage of black vs. white people who try to fight or run from the police and how much that correlates to getting shot by police? Have any of the high profile killings by police been of people who were not either fighting or running or both? Eric Garner maybe? Breonna Taylor was an innocent victim but she was next to her boyfriend who was shooting at cops, right?

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2021 7:00 AM

People try to compare shootings like this to Dylann Roof being apprehended alive, but Roof surrendered, unequivocally. He put his hands on his head and kneeled on the ground. Were cops supposed to shoot him anyway to be "equitable"?

Like R11, I'd also appreciate analysis of the rates of resisting arrest, how violent the resisting was, and if that tracks with likelihood of police shootings.

Another factor which the woke steadfastly ignore is that black people commit crime at higher rates than other demographics. Black people are 2.8 times more likely to be shot than white people are, but 37.8 percent of violent crimes arrests are of black suspects. If 12.2 percent of Americans are black, black people are 3.1 times more likely to be arrested for a violent crime. Those disparities closely track each other.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2021 7:28 AM

R12

*shot by cops

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2021 7:29 AM

Because blacks are more likely to get into trouble ?

Aren’t there more blacks in jail too ?

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2021 7:31 AM

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. The guy for trying to escape AFTER they had run his i.d. and plates. The Barney Fife lady cop who accidentally shot the fucker dead with what she thought was her taser. Why did she bother at all- they knew where he lived!

Both too dumb to live.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2021 7:42 AM

It’s a combination of encouraging the type of aggressive personality that’s attracted to a career as a police officer

AND raising kids to disrespect, place their immediate needs first and to question and buck authority.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2021 8:25 AM

For anyone wondering why they don't just comply it's because they're terrified they're going to get killed at worst, or beat and "lost" in the system at best.

The cops in Virginia who got busted for pepper spraying the black Army officer (and lying on their reports) literally pulled their guns on him and when he said he was afraid to get out of the car (per their direction) they said "you should be."

What the fuck is someone supposed to do under threats like that? Have you had a cop instantly pull a gun on you for traffic stop? I have not but I bet it would change my whole mindset.

[bold]And no, statistically, black people don't commit more crimes.[/bold] Black people are merely more likely to be arrested and/or put in jail for the same crimes white people get warnings and probation for. So knock that shit off. Arrest and jail stats are skewed because our system is skewed to favor white people, not because black people are more likely to commit crimes. Smh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2021 10:16 AM

One sees white men resisting arrest all the time and police doing all they can to avoid killing him.

And how does the policewoman confuse a taser with a gun? If she can't why in the hell is she in her position and why wasn't this question asked? She should be charged for killing out of sheer incompetance. This is not acceptable as an excuse

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2021 10:28 AM

[quote] out of sheer incompetance

Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2021 10:41 AM

That statistic around black people committing the majority of crimes is always cherry picked to somehow prove they deserve to be shot.

These people will have you believe that black people just have something in their blood and psyches that predisposes them to violence. Never ever ever is the reality of things like poverty and systemic oppression brought up within that assertion.

No, it’s just - black people are more violent. No reason why! They just are! That’s why they get shot by police!

In reality, this is a socio-economic issue. I’d love to see what white people would be like if they had been slaves, then subjected to all manner of violent oppression that denied them agency in life and the kinds of opportunities that lead to basic stability. I wonder if you might have higher crime rates in your communities too?

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 11:44 AM

[quote]That statistic around black people committing the majority of crimes is always cherry picked to somehow prove they deserve to be shot.

Right, and you'll notice that they absolutely REFUSE to address the issue of due process.

Every alleged criminal has a RIGHT to due process. Everyone. It's not the job of the police to execute people for crimes they may or may not have committed. It's not the job of the police to decide in a split second whether grand theft auto deserves a death sentence.

Our system is meant to allow everyone a chance to defend themselves in a court of law. There must be extreme extenuating circumstances for a police officer to decide to take that right away from someone.

Instead, we have a situation where cops are using lethal force in situations that simply do not call for it. They're being trained to use force as a first step, not a last resort.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2021 11:51 AM

Bullshit r7 police have cars and since statistically Blacks don't commit more crime than whites , for instance Blacks and Whites do illegal drugs at the same rate. There's no reason for police to go around killing more Black people than white people other than racism.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2021 12:07 PM

If this plays out as usual, the cops showing more restraint will lead to a decrease in police shooting people. But the other follow up will be at least a five to ten fold increase in murders in the area of POC. Check out Brooklyn Center in a year and let me know if that is what happened.

Police need better training and reforms but the increase in crime that will follow is real. Bloomberg had a tough stop and frisk policy in NYC which made it feel like Nazi Germany sometimes. But the murder rate of POC was at an all time low. In the past year, it’s back to 90s levels.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2021 12:08 PM

In 2017, half the people arrested in the US for murder were black. another 20% were Hispanic so please stop saying that rates of crime are equal among races. This is a real issue that can’t be ignored but not an excuse for police misbehavior.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2021 12:14 PM

R11, in many states with a stand your ground law, it is perfectly legal to shoot people who break into your home. Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend had broken no laws, so as far as they knew it was a home invasion.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2021 12:29 PM

R10 that only works for white people. With black people compliance does not do as much to guarantee safety.

Look at this one. If a stupid white kid had done the same thing, they would not have shot him. They would have sent a officer to his home early the next morning to pick him up.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2021 12:36 PM

I'm white and Canadian and as a kid my father told me to always obey the cops and do exactly what they tell me to do. When I asked why I should be so afraid of the police, he said because they have guns are are allowed to use them.

I wonder if black parents tell their kids the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2021 12:39 PM

I was generally on the side of "don't resist and you won't get shot, dummy" BUT stories like r17 (the black military man) absolutely do challenge that argument.

Another aspect of many of these cases is the essential i"ndustry" that these small town cops have where they pull over passers-through on BS ground and give them large tickets. It's a racket. And while I still need to see the UNBIASED DATA, I can totally believe that the racist small town cops are being racist--it IS their nature.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2021 12:43 PM

How’s his reply a big deal? He’s not a social scientist.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote] in many states with a stand your ground law, it is perfectly legal to shoot people who break into your home.

It’s legal in every state and has nothing to do with recent FL style “stand your ground” laws.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2021 1:07 PM

Police routinely using unjustifiable lethal force on black men isn't anything new, and neither are public protests against it. It's just that the news cycle has picked it up.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2021 1:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2021 1:15 PM

The interesting thing is, they don’t. If you look at police shootings of people in the previous quarter, the shootings of black peoples are roughly in proportion to the population.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2021 1:19 PM

R10 that only works for white people. With black people compliance does not do as much to guarantee safety.

Look at this one. If a stupid white kid had done the same thing, they would not have shot him. They would have sent a officer to his home early the next morning to pick him up.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2021 1:19 PM

^^^ people

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2021 1:19 PM

R30, actually, no. It is not legal in every state.

In every state self defense is legal. But stand your ground means that even if you are not in fear for your life, you can shoot.

But given that the intruders have guns, I guess shooting at the cops would count as self defense since they were aiming guns.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2021 1:22 PM

R27, where have you been. This is something that many black writers have commented on.

One of the arguments against white people adopting black children is that they will not be able to educate their black children how to be safe around police.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2021 1:23 PM

R17, showing videos of white people resisting arrest and not being shot proves nothing--you'd have to show that all black people who resist arrest are shot and no white people who resist arrest are ever shot (which isn't true).

As to the statistics, I think you're wrong, based solely on my frequent listening to podcasts on crime and racial issues. I've linked some statistics; the site looks cheesy but seems to related to the Department of Justice so might be legitimate.

And despite what R20 thinks, smart people indeed recognize this is a socio-economic problem. Of course some racists will be racist and think that black people are just violent. It's just as stupid, however, to make wild claims about cops shooting black people as some kind of racist sport.

And for all the whiteys dealing with their guilt by being fervid allies on social media: the biggest danger for black people is not getting shot by a cop but being shot while minding their own business in their neighorhood where gun violence is rampant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2021 1:42 PM

[quote] With black people compliance does not do as much to guarantee safety. [quote] For anyone wondering why they don't just comply it's because they're terrified they're going to get killed at worst, or beat and "lost" in the system at best.

r26 Compliance does not guarantee safety (let's say 80% - random number - not 100%); Non-compliance (let's say 10%) does? r17 I only get the terrified part; the rest, impossible to understand at all for what I mentioned in my first sentence. If they think they're going to get killed, beaten, lost (not 100% but again I understand the fear) even if they comply, what do they think at all about non-compliance which definitely increase such chance by x100.

We can fight for victims' justice, against police brutality (it's real, even for other races), demand police reform, protest and discuss endlessly but at the same time, shouldn't the first priority be victims to get out alive (like doing everything that increases the chance to not get shot, instead of doing total opposite)?

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote]If this plays out as usual, the cops showing more restraint will lead to a decrease in police shooting people. But the other follow up will be at least a five to ten fold increase in murders in the area of POC. Check out Brooklyn Center in a year and let me know if that is what happened.

That’s not necessarily true. In Baltimore, they stopped enforcing and prosecuting low-level crimes like drug possession, disorderly conduct, and prosecution...to reduce citizen encounters with police. And they found that their rates of violent crime including murder went down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote] It is not legal in every state.

There is no “duty to retreat” in your own home. In any state.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote] AND raising kids to disrespect, place their immediate needs first and to question and buck authority.

That's working out so well for them

They learn it from their parents yelling at anyone who criticizes their child. Starting with the kid's teachers

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 2:20 PM

R41, that is not true.

Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin all have a duty to retreat.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 2:36 PM

Daunte Wright moved his arms free and dove into his car. How would the cop know he wasn’t grabbing a gun as Nika Holbert did in Nashville and then shot the cop?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 2:42 PM

We keep finding more sophisticated ways to blame the victims.

I cannot help but wonder if the resistance comes because the victims see the killing intent of the cops who stopped them.

I mean, why not let Daunte Wright go and arrest him at his home?

Why did he try to leave when he knew they had his info? Did he recognize that he was in danger from the cop?

We cannot know, but a kid getting into his car when asked not to is not something that seems to warrant shooting or even tasering.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote]One of the arguments against white people adopting black children is that they will not be able to educate their black children how to be safe around police.

It doesn't seem black people are doing a very good job of it, either.

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 2:48 PM

R44, how?

Because Nika Holbert and the car's owner had extensive criminal backgrounds and and Wright did not.

But on that matter, why did the cops aim a taser at Holbert? She was clearly agitated. She was not going anywhere because they had the car. She was clearly nuts. The point should be to de-escalate.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 2:50 PM

R43, once an intruder has entered your home, there is no duty to retreat in those states. That’s not the same as merely being on your property (yard, driveway, etc).

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 2:50 PM

R46, how many more killing would there be if they did not.

I am assuming you are white. When you are out with a mostly black group, don't you notice how differently people treat you than when you are out with a mostly white group?

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 2:52 PM

I never thought I'd see Brookyn Center on the Datalounge, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 2:58 PM

Police shouldn't be doing traffic enforcement. The idea that people need to be physically brutalized for not signaling properly is absurd. If they run, then you have a picture of their plate.

What many people on this website don't understand is that police self select for the worst people in society. People who love the idea of authority and telling others what to do while waving a gun in their face. It's literally the shittiest people you went to high school told they get to do this. There is no way to reform them. The best we can do is reduce unnecessary interactions with them

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 3:02 PM

Traffic and crowd enforcement, emergency services, and criminal investigation need to be split into three different groups. The first two don't need guns.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 3:04 PM

People have different perceptions of black people vs. white people. Just like we have different perceptions of men vs. women. People see black men as the ultimate threat. When I was younger I told my husband I knew I could get away with a lot of more than most people could, because I was white, female, short, and thin. No one saw me as a threat (and I wasn't a threat and never behaved as a threat).

It's totally different if you're a big black guy. Everybody sees you as a threat, even if you're just minding your business. We have to try to change how we perceive others. It takes practice.

And I'm not saying it's all fun and games to be female. You have to watch where you are all the time. My husband denies telling me not to take our kids for a walk along the sometimes deserted canal path when the kids were younger. I know he did I and wouldn't have done it anyway. I have a strong self preservation drive. Now that my kids are taller than I am (and my son is getting very tall), it's not a big deal. But can you imagine always needing an escort in a deserted area or at night? Women do.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 3:11 PM

As they say, there are liars, damn liars, and statisticians. Black people are not more violent than other races; Black people are arrested, tried and convicted at higher rates than other races... for doing the same misdeeds. It's obvious, to boot. I don't have to Google the statistics for you, just go watch the plethora of videos showing a black guy and a white guy doing exactly the same crime, and you'll see the cops politely asking the white dude to calm down, put down the gun, and comply. Meanwhile, the cops scream epithets at the black guy, point their guns in his face, and shoot.

On point, Duante had an outstanding arrest warrant for a misdemeanor. [italic]A misdemeanor[/italic] . That's shoplifting-a-pack-of-gum, being out-after-curfew, making a right-turn-on-red kind of "crime". On what planet does a misdemeanor justify lethal force, particularly [italic]after[/italic] he'd been confidently identified? It's no wonder black people are afraid of the police.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 3:26 PM

What are you talking about [R40] , Baltimore had another record year in terms of homicides, 335, despite covid. Remember the Wire?? its even worse now idiot. Baltimore is in the top 10 of the most deadliest cities in the WORLD!

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 3:29 PM

r7 definition of profiling. Assuming a routine encounter with a Black person would be risky than a white person is part of the problem. Police pull over people of color at a higher rate than white people, and for no particular reason. Duante was pulled over for an air freshener on his rear window. I would be curious to see how many times people of color have been pulled over for that versus white people.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 3:40 PM

This kid had an outstanding warrant for pot possession because the court sent the notice for the court date to the wrong fucking address.

And now he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2021 3:46 PM

Absolutely amazing how many idiots who go right to "just obey the police and you won't get shot" conveniently forgot all the people who... obeyed the police and and were shot anyway.

Ask Nathaniel Pickett, Tamir Rice, Willie McCoy, Breonna Taylor, Charles Kinsey, Eric Harris, and many others about "obeying the police." Oh, that's right, you can't.

And that doesn't even touch on all the excessive force cases, where police respond to the slightest provocation with a hail of bullets or a gang beating. Or how many times officers have been caught straight up lying in their reports of shootings after footage was uncovered. Or how people unable to "obey," overcome their own panic, or frightened responses are just dismissively blamed for the actions of a poorly trained or just incompetent officer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 3:55 PM

A lot of this is presentation bias. Because of this country’s history of racism, every shooting of a black person is front page news.

Reminds me of the black kid that was shoved in a Starbucks. Made the New York Times. The tapes and murders happening at the same time the kid was shoved? Didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote]Both too dumb to live.

And yet, only one of them is dead. Funny how that works, R15.

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2021 3:58 PM

^^^ rapes

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote] Black people are not more violent than other races; Black people are arrested, tried and convicted at higher rates than other races... for doing the same misdeeds. It's obvious, to boot.

Proof of this conspiracy theory, please?

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2021 3:59 PM

There are too many goddamn laws in this country as it is.

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]People try to compare shootings like this to Dylann Roof being apprehended alive, but Roof surrendered, unequivocally. He put his hands on his head and kneeled on the ground. Were cops supposed to shoot him anyway to be "equitable"?

R12, Charles Kinsey was laying on the ground with his arms raised up when the police shot him. The autistic man he cared for they were *trying* to shoot was sitting on the ground playing with a toy truck. Oh, and neither of them had just killed anyone. Amazing how police can restrain themselves and not overreact when a violent white shooter surrenders but can't manage to not fire at two people who are unarmed and haven't hurt anyone.

Oh, and just some more fun details: Kinsey was handcuffed after he was shot and left to bleed without any medical care for 20 minutes. Roof was taken to Burger King after he was arrested.

So please, all you fucking racists who want to "but ACKSHUALLY" valid comparisons about the way whites are treated by police compared to just about everyone else, please fuck off instead.

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote] People try to compare shootings like this to Dylann Roof being apprehended alive, but Roof surrendered, unequivocally. He put his hands on his head and kneeled on the ground. Were cops supposed to shoot him anyway to be "equitable"?

Yes. The one time “excessive force“ would not actually have been excessive but an act of social justice, and they punt on it.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2021 4:13 PM

Has anyone noticed that female cops have a high rate of incompetence? They seem to be involved in a lot of professional misdeeds considering they don't make up more than half of cops (and I assume a lot less)

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote]I mean, why not let Daunte Wright go and arrest him at his home?

Because then they have to go to his house, and what if he doesn’t answer the door? Then they have to get a warrant and bust the door in. And then you risk a Breonna Taylor situation. Is that really a better solution??

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote]There are too many goddamn laws in this country as it is.

Then maybe Democrats should reconsider what they’re proposing with all of the new gun control laws they want passed. Stricter gun laws will mean people like Duante Wright who had a warrant out for previous weapons charges would face even stricter penalties.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2021 4:32 PM

Ask the leaders of the white nationalist terrorist organizations so many of them are linked to.

There’s your answer.

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote]Stricter gun laws will mean people like Duante Wright who had a warrant out for [bold]previous weapons charges[/bold] would face even stricter penalties.

For the 8,000,000th time:

[bold]HE

DID

NOT

HAVE

A

MOTHERFUCKING

OUTSTANDING

WEAPONS

CHARGE[/bold].

Outstanding warrant was for marijuana possession, outstanding because the court sent the notice to the wrong address.

Sick of misinformation getting fed into the internet and endlessly spit back out by low-information dumbfuck trolls.

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2021 4:41 PM

cops got to be like this due to decades, if not half a century of Blacks acting crazy

by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2021 4:45 PM

R67, so what? If that is what they have to do to avoid killing someone, it all seems reasonable.

Their job is to protect the public, not to endanger them.

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2021 5:41 PM

R71 common sense has got to be like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2021 5:51 PM

You are mistaken or your are lying r70

[quote] Mr. Wright was initially stopped for driving a vehicle without current registration, and then detained after they determined that a warrant for his arrest had been issued, stemming from a missed hearing on a misdemeanor gun charge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2021 7:42 PM

Robocop. We need robocops.

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote] actually, no. It is not legal in every state.

In your home, yes it is. Look up the Castle Doctrine.

[quote]But stand your ground means that even if you are not in fear for your life, you can shoot.

This is blatantly false. This is NOT what stand your ground means. In most states a civilian has a duty to retreat. States with stand your ground laws mean you’re under no obligation to retreat. It does not mean you can shoot it your life isn’t in danger.

In all states you’re under no obligation to retreat while in your own dwelling, regardless.

Jesus, where do people get this information?

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2021 9:00 PM

R66 the racists have already brought more than enough stupidity to this thread. You don't need to add to it.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2021 10:18 PM

BIPOC cisgender females are even more incompetent r77

by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2021 10:29 PM

R53, it's nice that you can make everything about YOU

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2021 10:43 PM

"Has anyone noticed that female cops have a high rate of incompetence? They seem to be involved in a lot of professional misdeeds considering they don't make up more than half of cops (and I assume a lot less)"

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2021 10:44 PM

Daunte Wright had a warrant out for his arrest for attempted aggravated robbery charges after 'choking and holding a woman at gunpoint for $820 in 2019', court papers reveal

The only sources I can find are from fox news and the daily mail

Daunte Wright (pictured in his mugshot in 2019) choked a woman and threatened to shoot her if she did not hand over $820 she had stuffed in her bra, court papers obtained by DailyMail.com allege. That is the case that led to a warrant for his arrest at the time he was shot and killed by police officer Kimberly Potter in Minnesota on Sunday, leading to days of unrest. Charging papers say Wright and a second man, Emajay Driver went to a home shared by two women in Osseo, Minnesota 'to party' in December 2019. At the time, Wright was 19 and Driver was 18. The women asked them to leave around 2.30 am on December 1, but they said they didn't have a ride and the women - who are not identified in the court documents - allowed them to sleep on the floor. In the morning, one of the women went to the bank to get her $820 rent money which she gave to the other woman and then left for work. As Wright, Driver and the second woman were leaving, Wright allegedly tried to hold up the woman

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2021 10:50 PM

Like his dead colleague George, it would appear than Daunte was no angel.

The both brutalized cisgender woman to rob them.

Thank god that those two black men didn’t misgender transwomen, which is the ultimate violence.

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote] How do you know they are killing black people more? It just gets the news coverage, where as other races who are shot don’t

When whites get shot, whites man up and accept the deaths were for the best of the race. Why can't blacks accept that killing blacks is in the best interests of everyone?

by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2021 10:59 PM

Do better at trolling r83, because you suck at it

by Anonymousreply 84April 13, 2021 11:10 PM

In my experience, whites are usually the first to lose their cool.

by Anonymousreply 85April 13, 2021 11:16 PM

Trolling 101: If I sucked at trolling, I'd get no response. The fact that you responded proves my mad trolling skills.

by Anonymousreply 86April 13, 2021 11:32 PM

so much for air fresheners and misdemeanors! thanks R81

by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2021 11:32 PM

R54/ In other words, you don't have any stats that back you up. Yes Black crime is a real issue. So is racism and shooting by cops. Both of these things can be true.

by Anonymousreply 88April 13, 2021 11:55 PM

"Young Black women" are less likely to be killed than white men of any age. It is about time that we decouple black women from black men in discussions of social oppression and state violence. Black women, like women of any race, are privileged.

by Anonymousreply 89April 13, 2021 11:58 PM

R89 No, they, like other women are known to commit violent crimes at auch lower rate than men. That's not privilege as much as a natural consequence. When women are no longer victims of violent crimes in large numbers we can talk about privilege.

by Anonymousreply 90April 14, 2021 12:08 AM

r90 Oh, so that's why black men get killed by police -- because they deserve it? Thanks, got it.

Lesbian feminist or white supremacist? It's increasingly hard to tell these days!

by Anonymousreply 91April 14, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]Dylann Roof being apprehended alive, but Roof surrendered, unequivocally

The point is, he wouldn't have been given the chance to do that if he were black. He would have been shot, whether he surrendered or not. He also, most certainly, wouldn't have been taken to get food after.

[quote]Black women, like women of any race, are privileged.

Oh. My. God.

[quote]Daunte Wright had a warrant out

Daunte Wright was pulled over for "expired tags" and air freshners in his back window.

They ran his name and saw that he had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court BUT even his attorney said that while he didn't believe Wright knew about the appearance, he himself was never informed that his client had a court date or else he would have made sure he was there.

And the bail for him would have been $500.00 had they taken him in alive.

This whole, "we need to create a reason why this person was killed by bringing up things the police didn't know at the time" tactic is tiring. This child should not be dead over this.

In any case, I think this really was an accident. It was when she said, "Holy s---, I just shot him!" that I figured she lost her cool and cost someone his life. She still should be treated as anyone else would who would do that. This isn't like that one cop that killed a man who was in his own apartment by "mistake" and then sat there while the man she shot slowly died on the floor.

When you have a gun, you have to accept the consequences of accidents that occur when you have it because of your negligence and I'm sorry, but incidents like this won't stop until cops are held accountable for poor training and being unfit for the job.

by Anonymousreply 92April 14, 2021 12:27 AM

My favorite is "your license plate lights are out". Do you know how hard it is to get up in there to replace those tiny bulbs? You need four hands and fingers the size of No. 2 lead pencils. I had sweat running in my eyes and just eventually gave up.

by Anonymousreply 93April 14, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] Daunte Wright was pulled over for "expired tags" and air freshners in his back window.

And he still chose to try to get back in his car and run from the police. He contributed to his death

Had he not tried to run from the cops, he'd still be alive. But in jail for his armed robbery with a deadly weapon charge

by Anonymousreply 94April 14, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]This child should not be dead over this.

He’s not a child.

by Anonymousreply 95April 14, 2021 1:02 AM

No one is making up shit - police disregard for people of color is a thing. I don't care how many "they shoulda done what the police said" posts we get here, the cops are WRONG!!! And I for one, am glad that cunt who shot Daunte and her Chief resigned.

by Anonymousreply 96April 14, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]My favorite is "your license plate lights are out". Do you know how hard it is to get up in there to replace those tiny bulbs? You need four hands and fingers the size of No. 2 lead pencils. I had sweat running in my eyes and just eventually gave up.

If it’s just that your license plate lights are out, the cop is going to give you a warning to get them fixed.

It becomes a problem when the cop runs your plate and sees that you have warrants out for your arrest, and then you decide to run away.

by Anonymousreply 97April 14, 2021 1:04 AM

You cannot justify him being shot. But you keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 98April 14, 2021 1:06 AM

I think cops pull over minorities because they know it's going to be a jackpot: a warrant, a weapon and some dope. Resisting arrest would simply be the cherry on top.

by Anonymousreply 99April 14, 2021 1:21 AM

Black women are privileged?! I've read some pretty stupid shit but that one takes the cake

by Anonymousreply 100April 14, 2021 3:37 AM

[quote]Black women are privileged?!

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 101April 14, 2021 3:57 AM

Black women are treated bad by white people and black men

by Anonymousreply 102April 14, 2021 8:30 AM

[quote] No one is making up shit - police disregard for people of color is a thing. I don't care how many "they shoulda done what the police said" posts we get here, [bold]the cops are WRONG!!! And I for one, am glad that cunt who shot Daunte and her Chief resigned[/bold].

r96 I only agree with the bolded - I see nobody here who claims otherwise, despite the repeated hysteric screaming "racists! rightwing! cop bootlicker!", etc. Righteous people, drunk with self-satisfaction from all the 'activism', do not care about certain Black Lives like Daunte Wright, George Floyd, Nika Holbert and countless all and future clones - dead by the same old actions and consequences (all bad; nobody says otherwise; but you cannot stop them immediately right now at all with the neverending screaming, protests, activism alone, proven since at least 2013).

Yes, cops are wrong, certain black crimes may get treated unfairly, system is wrong, abolish/reform/whatever. All are secondary concern to the future Wright, Floyd, etc. in the moments of life and death situations. Only two options exist there and then: Comply or resist/flee; To get shot or not get shot; Which actions have less chance (not zero but still better than the opposite) of getting shot (because "complying is not 100% safe from racist/evil cops") and which more? "Their resisting actions do not matter, shouldn't be talked about; cops are evil" repeating people are not interested in saving lives.

My first sentence in the second paragraph only matter to these people if they get out of there "ALIVE" for protests, law suits, receiving donation or so. What's the point of self-sacrifice by death (ironically, getting killed is the opposite of what they want) for the greater cause like Black Lives Matter when their own black lives are gone? Brutal/incompetent cops and racist systems are like climate change - we should stop but cannot do it just now. But not doing the same old certain actions do greatly increase the chance of living (or reduce the chance of dying) on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 103April 14, 2021 10:32 AM

I think it's because most police officers are highly prejudiced against black people. Most cops have the attitude that the majority of crime in this country is committed by blacks. Apparently they go temporarily blind every time a white person is arrested for a criminal act. They see that the prisons and jails are packed to the gills with black people and that's because the courts are far more apt to imprison a black person for criminal acts they sentence a white person to probation for. The cops see that as proof that blacks are more criminally minded than whites. That and the ingrained racism many of them were raised with have gotten us to where we are today.

by Anonymousreply 104April 14, 2021 11:01 AM

no other country on Earth has a phenomenon similar to the urban black crime element in their cities., Its unique to the U.S, One can argue the causes and origins, but still , it is an off the charts statistic

by Anonymousreply 105April 14, 2021 9:06 PM

R105, what is the statistic?

by Anonymousreply 106April 14, 2021 9:28 PM

"Just obey and you won't get shot!"

No, if you're Black, you'll still get shot, the police will LIE about it, and the press will dutifully run with those lies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2021 9:50 PM

I get this is tragic, I get it should not have happened, but and I know this is a big but. It was a mistake. Yes a mistake that cost his life but this does not (to me) fall under the same category as Brionna Taylor or George Floyd. Gross dereliction of duty but.. I dunno. This one is hard.

by Anonymousreply 108April 16, 2021 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!