Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Detoxifying from fumes

An ill-fated attempt to kill the bugs in my bedroom has led to a situation where I think I have accidentally inhaled white spirit fumes and also deltamethrin. Is it ok to be back in the room? I have aired out the room with both windows open for eight hours, and washed both off substances away from surfaces, but I can still smell lingering vapours. My breathing has been mildly wheezy all day, and I have had a weird sluggish agitated feeling as well as dry sore eyes. There’s nowhere else I can sleep..:/

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2021 1:46 AM

Well, you’ve come to the right place for guidance.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 9:23 PM

Why are there bugs in your bedroom?

[quote]white spirit fumes and also deltamethrin

No idea wtf this means. Do you know what Datalounge is? We're not a bunch of chemists actually.

[quote]My breathing has been mildly wheezy all day, and I have had a weird sluggish agitated feeling as well as dry sore eyes

Yeah these signs point to GET THE FUCK OUT.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 9:24 PM

It doesn't kill bedbugs and it shouldn't kill you. White spirits though.... hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 9:27 PM

R3 thanks for the article, that is very reassuring.

Guess I panicked trying to clean the delta off my surfaces (with the white spirit...) for nothing. How embarrassing.

Still concerned about the spirit fumes, though. I don’t want to asphyxiate in my sleep. Some people sleep in rooms they painted during the day, though, right?

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 9:47 PM

I'm not a doctor hun. Can't you go sleep in the cellar, attic, hotel, McDonalds, park bench for an evening?

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 9:55 PM

Well, considering I live in the middle of nowhere in a rented bungalow with no loft or cellar or garage, and I don’t have money to blow on hotels? No, not really😰

My bathtub is wet from my roommmate using it, and there is someone crashing on our couch. Short of sleeping on the cold dirty porchstep or with a dog on the kitchen floor, I’m out of options.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 10:02 PM

you could dry the bathtub hun. You could wash the kitchen floor and sleep with the dog. He'll be happy.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] Guess I panicked trying to clean the delta off my surfaces (with the white spirit...)

3/10

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 10:08 PM

R7 not happening lmao😐It’s not my dog so naturally I don’t fully trust it or its owner. Plus he runs around in garbage all day, he could have any sort of disease. Surely no-one here does things like that?

Could sleep in the tub, but knowing my back they’ll have to bury me there too.

R8 sadly not an EST. Yes, I’m dumb, yes, I panicked. I just want to not die from my mistake. Maybe I could just sleep with a window open—it’s fucking freezing and not secure, but maybe it will stop any vapours...

Just got my roommate to come in and investigate, and she says she only smells faint spirit. So that’s a good sign, I guess?

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 10:12 PM

yeah

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 10:15 PM

host a sex party and tell participants you've spilled the poppers. . . inevitably they'll inhale the fumes. though leave a few behind in their wake.

r6 there are a few sites for airbnb type rentals in the middle of nowhere... usually cheaper than hotels. but you could rinse out your eyes, nasal passages, consider using a topical decongestant, humidifier or boil a pot of water, plant your face over the pot and place a towel over your head.

if you're as ghetto as you claim to be chances you know some people that know some people that can get you access to albuterol and nebulizer or just an inhaler.

there are some weak otc options

next time show wuv and concern for the dog's health and you'll get better responses than just being a trailer park queen

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 10:17 PM

it's never too late to turn your first trick ...live life on the edge, who knows whose bed you'll end up in!

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 10:19 PM

Why not whine and cry to your roommate and beg her to switch beds with you for the night?

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 10:34 PM

R13 I’m asking for advice, not whining. And I’m not so much of a shitty person to make someone else suffer for a stupid thing I did.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 10:39 PM

we gave you some options but you shoot them down. If you're so anxious then sleep on the floor elsewhere in the bungalow.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 10:41 PM

You'll be fine, OP. I panic over things like that, too--I'm overcautious. If you sleep in the room with lots of blankets a the window slightly cracked open, you'll be fine. Relax, gurrl!

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 10:49 PM

R16 thanks. Yeah, you’re right about panic, I definitely relate to that. Cracking the window and putting on a throw as we speak.

For me it’s a vicious cycle of ‘do dumb shit>>freak>>accidentally do more dumb shit because I’m freaking out’. Fresh hell! And I only have sociopathic Guncles to help me out of it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 11:07 PM

Do you have bedbugs, OP?

How about a $5 air mattress from Wal-Mart and you sleep on the living room floor for a couple of nights till it's safe to sleep in your room.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 11:36 PM

start that National Parks tour you've been putting off!

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2021 1:14 AM

OP, arrange to have one of the co-occupiers of that infested hovel call the police and coroner's office tomorrow morning.

Because you won't be there to place the call yourself.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 1:59 AM

Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2021 2:17 AM

You want his bed-bud infested crap?

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2021 2:20 AM

R19 I had ants and weevils. Don’t think they’ll be back for a while....

R20 well, I’m alive this morning. My mouth is dry as hell and I’m still a little wheezy, but mostly ok apart from that. Hopefully there are no longer-lasting or delayed side effects...:/

According to the internet, putting baking soda around a room can help absorb the smell and dispel fumes. Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2021 7:09 AM

^^ok, put baking soda around. Just have to wait and see if it works...

My breathing is still kind of laboured, but not so much I can’t walk or talk easily. Should I call my doctor?

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2021 9:25 AM

Take a hot steamy shower and wash yourself thoroughly. Then go outside immediately for at least 2-3 hours to allow your skin pores to close and your lung to breathe without any surrounding toxins.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2021 10:27 AM

Thank you R25.

After it happened yesterday and I realised my mistake, I spent the afternoon and evening washing my hair and all my clothes and bedding, while aerating the room and washing off the spirit. As noted above, I slept with the windows open—in retrospect, I wonder of this was the best idea, as now a day later I have been breathless, dizzy and low-affect with prickly and blotchy skin. But as I have no other options...:/

Today I finished the laundry, covered the carpet and skirting boards in baking soda, and left the windows open for about ten hours. I also took a bath. Asking my housemate again today, she said she can’t smell any spirit at all, but I really think I can still? I don’t know if my paranoid mind is playing tricks on me, or I just have a sensitive nose and nervous system.

How long do spirit fumes linger, and are they still harmful after 30+ hours in a ventilated space? I won’t be able to sleep not knowing...

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2021 11:04 PM

You're having some kind of anxious spiral. Are you OCD? BiPolar?

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2021 12:10 AM

R27 honestly, I really don’t know. Maybe? But I don’t think so, I’ve never had an obvious problem like that—or at least no-one’s ever said or pointed anything out to me.

There is depression in my past. Also I do have Asperger’s, but the only obsessive behaviour I experience with that is listmaking. Aversions and hypersensitivities are more the issue with that.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2021 12:22 AM

There may be some lingering scent residue but based on all you described that you have done it's in all likelihood harmless by now.

Last year I made the mistake of emptying an almost full can Lysol disinfectant spray in my basement. The can had to be 10-15 years old and I just wanted to dispose of it by disinfecting all the corners of the basement to get rid of musty smell it often has during the summer. Bad idea. I inhaled so much of it, I immediately got a big headache and felt light headed and slightly nauseous. That headache remained for about two weeks before it began to dissipate. I purchased a detox spirulena powder mix from my health food store and took it with water twice a day. I think it accelerated the detoxification of the chemicals from my system.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2021 12:27 AM

I asked about OCD because between the lines you have something special. I guess its the Asperger’s. From a distance you are giving the impression that you are having ruminative thoughts about the fumes and "toxicity". The fumes got into your head and they are probably lingering psychosomatically. Because it really got you super anxious. And you feel vulnerable because you don't have a lot of options and resources in our life - you felt trapped. Its only natural. Try to chill out and breathe deeply outside your room and I think the "fumes" will let go of you with some time.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2021 12:38 AM

If I smell that fucking Febreze it remains in my brain and/or sinuses for days after. My bf can't smell it (somebody in our condo uses it in the hallway for some inane reason) but I feel like I can smell traces of it, either in our HVAC or lingering in the carpet. Maybe you're just traumatized, OP, and it'll go away soon.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2021 12:44 AM

Is there a vehicle on the fucking property? Then you do have a place to sleep. Yes. Sleep in the damned car. Make sure you crack the window bring a pillow and a blanket.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2021 1:42 AM

I don't do well with artificial scents and it can make me feel anxious. Best thing you can do is keep the windows open and drink extra water to flush anything out of your system.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2021 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!