Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there a conservative country that's a nice place to live?

Nothing comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 83April 14, 2021 3:28 AM

What's a "conservative country?"

???

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 8:56 PM

Hungary, Poland

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 9:07 PM

Switzerland. Love their rage for order and their unwillingness to allow outisde trash in. But then, I'm a Virgo with OCD.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 9:07 PM

Western Ukrainian near Poland

Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

Serbia

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 9:08 PM

Hungary and Poland are homophobic shithole countries.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 9:09 PM

Austria.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 9:09 PM

They’re not shitholes, R6. They fit op’s criteria.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 9:10 PM

Parts of the US.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 9:10 PM

R8, if you want to get harrassed because of being gay, yeah, they're nice countries indeed.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 9:12 PM

Have you been, R10? It’s not like that in the cities. It’s conservative but not hostile. I’ve been to both in 2016 and 2018.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 9:14 PM

I live in a country next to fucking Hungary, R11.

And I know perfectly well what's REALLY going on in this shithole country since I've got several gay friends from Hungary.

Spoiler: ALL of them have left by now.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 9:16 PM

Hungary and Poland have become increasingly repressive and undemocratic and are only ‘nice places to live’ if you are cool with that.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 9:21 PM

Japan. I haven’t been but I’m told the subways are very clean. Littering looked down upon.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 9:24 PM

I'd move to Austria or Switzerland in a minute.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 9:25 PM

Japan isn’t for foreigners. Don’t bring your carcasses there.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 9:30 PM

R12 living in a country next to a country means nothing. You haven’t been to either recently, have you?

It’s not bad if you have money and live in the city. It’s like saying Texas is bad—not if you have money and live in one of its cities. People aren’t hostile—they’re just conservative.

You can’t walk around being a flaming queen without getting looks, but that’s 95% of the world.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 9:34 PM

Austria and Switzerland are both breathtakingly beautiful. So clean and great for outdoor activities/nature. I have had friends in both places and they love it. I’d consider retiring there.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 9:45 PM

Bavaria, too.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 9:48 PM

R17 so you've been to Hungary only twice, probably only for a couple of days ... but me living right next to this shithole country, having gone there regularly in the near past (before the country went apeshit, that is) and having friends there is nothing compared to your great wisdom, isn't it?

Seriously, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 9:54 PM

R20, you haven’t been to either recently. That’s that. You’re in no position to pass judgement about whether either is a shithole. So fuck you back.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 9:56 PM

Austria is beautiful and Vienna has always been one of my favorite cities.

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 9:56 PM

I think you'd have a problem finding a Country as Conservative as the US that wasn't Muslim and had Sharia law.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 10:02 PM

Finland

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 10:18 PM

Bhutan

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 10:19 PM

What is the criteria for a "conservative" country? People are posting about Switzerland and Austria like they're North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 10:25 PM

Morocco, Dubai, Singapore, Bermuda, Cayman Islands

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 10:26 PM

Chile can probably be nice if you have $$, and yes, it is rather staid and conservative -- especially compared to more free-spirited countries on the continent.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 10:29 PM

USA

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 10:37 PM

Apparently Chile is a bastard for lesbians - the men are very predatory.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 10:42 PM

USA is not a nice place to live.

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 10:48 PM

How disappointing but not surprising? This is one of the countries in South America which hasn't yet legalized gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 10:52 PM

None of them.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2021 4:43 AM

OP, is there a predominantly black neighborhood that’s nice to live?

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2021 4:46 AM

"Conservative" and "nice" are mutually exclusive in reference to "a place to live".

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2021 4:49 AM

R3 Do the Swiss have big dicks? I thought I heard they have big dicks. Has anyone here had Swiss dick and be able to verify?

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2021 4:51 AM

R23 There’s still Asia.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2021 5:02 AM

Switzerland, plus it's the cleanest place on earth if you're a dirt phobe.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2021 5:33 AM

Japan is actually decent. A gay friend of mine moved there to teach English and ended up loving it. He even found a partner there. Another guy who was there teaching English. Thy both love it. I was out there to visit them about ten years ago and it was great. Very clean and polite.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2021 5:39 AM

Monaco.

by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2021 5:42 AM

The Falkland Islands.

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2021 5:42 AM

For those lumping Austria and Switzerland together, stop. They share alpine scenery, cleanliness and a core of language, but that's it.

Austria is generally conservative, but not at all repressive (and a lot more liberal than the 85% of the US that's flyoverstan), plus, it has a working infrastructure and health system (except that, like the rest of Europe, they totally fucked up the COVID vaccination process), gorgeous cities dripping with history, and loads of homegrown and international culture. Case in point: during the 2015 refugee crisis, Austria -- for better or, largely, worse -- accepted the highest number of refugees per capita of any EU country.

Switzerland, on the other hand, is a nation of natural-born traffic cops and busybodies who'll call the police if you flush your toilet too loudly after 10 pm. Sure, if you're a filthy rich foreigner, they'll hold their noses to overlook the filth and take your money, but don't expect them to take your calls when your bank account is empty. And all the scenery in the world can't compensate for the stultifying 7th-grade level of social conformism. Homosexuality? Not done, and certainly not talked about. Same goes for taking refugees of any color, unless they're very rich.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 8:27 AM

Denmark

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 8:32 AM

Australia

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 9:21 AM

Iran

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 10:01 AM

One of the most depressing experiences of my life was going to a gay bar in Basel, Switzerland. It was small, playing bad music, and the other customers were a few old guys with refugees in tow (looking for free drinks).

Having been to nearly every country in Europe, people really do underestimate how fundamentally conservative most of them are. For instance, Germany is NOT Berlin! The average German is quite uptight.

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 10:52 AM

[quote]You’re in no position to pass judgement about whether either is a shithole.

You said early on that Hungary and Poland fit OP's criteria, but his only criterion was "nice place to live."

That's subjective. For you, apparently it's nice to live in a place that's openly homophobic. Fine, whatever, but stop pretending like that's true for everyone else. Even someone as hostile and stubborn as you are must be able to see that "they're nice places to live" is subjective and that there will be people unwilling to call homophobic countries "nice."

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 10:58 AM

Germany

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 11:05 AM

My first question is what is the criteria for "conservative" country?

Of the countries named here, I've been to three for any decent length of time;

Japan - as R39 says, it really is fantastic, I have relatives there so I have been four times for weeks at a time, including once with my partner. Very clean, safe and ordered, but not at all homophobic. The culture is very different to the West, and takes quite some getting used to, but we have a lot to learn from Japan if you ask me. I felt safer as an out gay man than any other place I have been, including my home country. A story from the second time I was there will give you an idea of what its like;

I was staying in a hotel in the gritty, industrial part of Osaka, and went out late on Saturday night to get some orange juice. There was a 24/ convenience store attached to a gas station near the hotel, while I was in there a guy comes in to do some shopping dressed in high heels, a floor length mink coat, and enough jewellery to make Liberace envious. Nobody batted an eyelid, and he got his stuff and flounced off into the night. No way would you see someone that outrageously flamboyant in a servo late on a Saturday night in any part of town back home, but nobody was bothering him - Japan is REALLY live and let live providing you dont confront anyone or hassle them. It isnt uncommon to see people dressed in wildly flamboyant or eccentric outfits in Japan, something you cant do in most of the world.

The same would apply to a lesser extent in Singapore, although Singapore does still have antigay laws, which are generally not enforced. There are gay bars and saunas operating quite openly, and even events like Pride parades etc. Maybe PDAs wouldnt be advisable, but my partner and I have booked hotel rooms there more than once with a double bed only and never any issues. Like Japan its very clean and safe

I've also had a few weeks in Switzerland, in Zurich which is apparently the most conservative city. Again, clean and safe like other people above have noted, and R42, homosexuality is very much done there, I did it multiple times with a number of guys. They're as up for fun as anyone, maybe more so. R36 they dont however have noticeably bigger dicks than any other place I've been, all the cocks I sucked fit down my throat about the same as everywhere else. Apart from the 4-5 guys I slept with off of apps, I also went to a place in Zurich called Werdinsel, which is basically a nudist island in the river Limmat, there is a gay area which is real cruisy, I had lots of fun there. The thing with Switzerland, is that everything must be in its place, and there is a place for everything - including a bit of outdoor debauchery. As long as you keep it within the designated area, all good

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 12:57 PM

Mexico is conservative. The inland states are far more conservative than the coasts, just like the USA.

In the USA, Kansas is more conservative than California.

Likewise in Mexico, Guanajuato would be more conservative than the coast of Jalisco.

Although, knowing the aptitude of the members of this forum, I really don't think most of you could put a finger on Kansas, California, Guanajuato, or Jalisco.

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 1:12 PM

San Marino

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 1:21 PM

Switzerland is very expensive. Mean household income is $10k a month. Granted, the number is skewed by lotsa rich people there, but a Swiss friend who now lives in the US tells me her siblings making $200,000/year income are considered middle class. For that kind of money it ought to be nice.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 2:13 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote]My first question is what is the criteria for "conservative" country?

For our Stormfront sisters, it appears to be an absence of the dreaded "refugees."

This thread is really something.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 2:37 PM

[quote]Although, knowing the aptitude of the members of this forum, I really don't think most of you could put a finger on Kansas, California, Guanajuato, or Jalisco.

Your rabid elitism is noted, but you're not so bright yourself if the best comparison you could make between US states was "Kansas" and "California." I think pretty much anyone in the world has heard of those two places and knows the cultural associations with them.

A more astute observation would be to note California's more conservative immediate neighbors like Arizona or even Nevada, which is very Mormon is some places, or the spectrum within California itself, which turns as red as Trumpland in some places that are within just a few hours drive of Sodom and Gomorra, aka LA and SF.

But do go on.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 2:43 PM

I don’t agree that the US is not a nice place to live. There are some really great places, some so-so and some ugly areas. But it really has something for every taste. I like the cold, NE, my best friend loves hot, dry AZ. My aunt loves humid FL.

I don’t know what the OP means by conservative, but I’m sure you can also find whatever he means in the US. This is a very diverse country.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 3:06 PM

Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2021 3:22 PM

Malta is very conservative, but it is a nice place to live.

by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 3:26 PM

Foreigners, please stay away from Japan. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 3:30 PM

Australia maybe? New Zealand? I think fiscally conservative, not rabidly woke, not crazy, and left like Democrats but socially progressive.

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2021 3:33 PM

Montenegro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2021 3:34 PM

The Balkans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Site of the YouTuber at R62.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2021 3:37 PM

The Balkans look really nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2021 3:38 PM

New Zealand isn't conservative.

by Anonymousreply 65April 13, 2021 3:38 PM

Datalounge seems very fond of Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 66April 13, 2021 3:47 PM

OP, just say white people.

by Anonymousreply 67April 13, 2021 3:56 PM

R60 Nether Australia nor New Zealand are particularly conservative, NZ especially.

Mind you we still dont know what is meant by "conservative"

If OP means run by a right wing or right leaning administration Australia sort of qualifies, Japan, Singapore and Switzerland definitely do

R57 you couldnt pay me to live in Dubai

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2021 4:05 PM

OP here. I see the question I posed was so nonspecific as to be almost meaningless.

Let me frame it more clearly: Is there an anti-gay country with a high quality of life for its citizens?

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2021 4:37 PM

Singapore?

If it’s conservative country, how nice could it be?

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2021 4:38 PM

The Confederate States of America.

It's still a thing, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2021 4:41 PM

r18, Vienna has beautiful architecture, but they have a LOT of grafitti.

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2021 4:51 PM

Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2021 4:57 PM

R58 Malta has a veneer of Conservatism to foreigners, (especially if you can't speak the language).

Truth is that prostitution is endemic, STD rates are high (big growth in new cases of HIV this year, despite less testing) and they have a rate of car bombing similar to the middle east. The Government is corrupt and tax evasion is a national pastime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2021 5:23 PM

R69 now you have clarified the question, it comes down to some of the Middle Eastern countries, like Saudi Arabia and Dubai only because they are flush with oil wealth, and maybe Malaysia, although the quality of life isnt that great.

The standout would be Singapore, but the antigay laws arent really enforced there

Hungary and Poland have a moderately OK quality of life too, and fairly anti gay, Poland more so

The rest, all shitholes all the time

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote] The average German is quite uptight.

Understatement.

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2021 6:57 PM

The English countryside, especially the South West, is very conservative and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2021 8:33 PM

Outside of Auckland, New Zealand is quite conservative and probably the most beautiful and live-able place on earth. NZ has a sensible conservatism without any of the batshit American woketards ruining the place.

by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2021 8:35 PM

Denmark. Progressive economically and sexually, but publicly rejected multiculturalism and kicks the Woke bullshit to the kerb. Most of Denmark speaks English. Copenhagen is a beautiful city and invested in remaining Danish.

Very high cost of living, though. But if you can afford it, check it out.

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2021 8:46 PM

R77 the OP clarified he meant “anti gay.”

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2021 9:13 PM

I wouldn't consider Japan to be especially conservative.

by Anonymousreply 81April 14, 2021 2:38 AM

Compared to the US Nazi Germany was left wing.

by Anonymousreply 82April 14, 2021 2:47 AM

Denmark just kicked multicultural to the curb because they can't deal with Muslims and their medieval customs and arch conservative religious rules. They probably wouldn't have problems with Guatemalan or Hong Kong refugees.

by Anonymousreply 83April 14, 2021 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!