Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Matrix' star Carrie-Anne Moss says she was offered a grandma role 'literally the day after my 40th birthday'

Carrie-Anne Moss is opening up about the challenges she's faced as an over-40 actress.

As The Hollywood Reporter notes, the 53-year-old Canadian star — best known for playing Trinity in the Matrix franchise — recently joined friend and fellow actress Justine Bateman, 55, for a candid conversation about aging in Hollywood. Former Family Ties star Bateman has recently released a book, FACE: One Square Foot of Skin, about the scrutiny her looks have received as she resists pressure to undergo plastic surgery.

Speaking with Bateman for the 92nd Street Y event, Moss revealed that she too has been treated differently as she ages.

"I had heard that at 40 everything changed," Moss, whose credits also include Memento and Jessica Jones, shared. "I didn't believe in that because I don't believe in just jumping on a thought system that I don't really align with.

"But literally the day after my 40th birthday, I was reading a script that had come to me and I was talking to my manager about it. She was like, 'Oh, no, no, no, it's not that role [you're reading for], it's the grandmother. I may be exaggerating a bit, but it happened overnight. I went from being a girl to the mother to beyond the mother."

Moss did not divulge which project featured the role. She went on to admit that seeing your appearance change onscreen can be "kind of brutal."

"You don't feel like you've aged much and suddenly you're seeing yourself onscreen," she said, adding, "I would look at these French and European actresses and they just had something about them that felt so confident in their own skin. I couldn't wait to be that. I strive for that. It's not easy being in this business. There's a lot of external pressure."

The actress, who wrapped filming on The Matrix just as she turned 31, will reprise her role of Trimity opposite 56-year-old Keanu Reeves in the upcoming Matrix 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2021 7:37 PM

What a bullshit article. She says right after that she was exaggerating, but they run with the headline anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 4:39 PM

boohoohoo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 4:40 PM

To be fair, Moss has always been a bit... hard looking.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 4:42 PM

Maybe it was a trailer park grandma. 16 + 16 is only 32. She’s lucky to have gotten ANY script.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 4:43 PM

Oops 16x3 = 48

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 4:44 PM

^^^ GREAT trailer park grandma

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 4:45 PM

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Carrie Ann Inaba.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 4:46 PM

My whore of a cousin was a grandmother at 40, so this isn't far-fetched.

Yes, I know, roles for older women, etc. etc. Find a better example. And show more cock, Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 4:48 PM

Unless she reveals the exact project, it's all bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 5:21 PM

r9 soon to never be revealed on her lifestyle goop/drew like blog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 5:29 PM

seriously, wtf?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 5:31 PM

Get a better agent, Toots!

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 5:50 PM

"Nourishing the inner aspect" is still MY job, you no-name twat.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 6:29 PM

She really hasn't done much before, or after, The Matrix.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 6:31 PM

Sienna Miller recently played a grandmother and she was maybe 37 at the time. She got good reviews for it too. I don’t see the problem. Plenty of young mothers beget granddaughters earlier these days.

These actresses who complain have no imagination!

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 6:34 PM

Our class whore was a grandma at 30.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 6:40 PM

r15 legend has it before becoming most known as an old lady, Stephanie Cole began her career at 17 playing a 90 year old. though Vicki Lawerence is likely the biggest standout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 6:55 PM

Lucky the phone still rings after 40.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 8:01 PM

Boo hi hi ineed. I’m sick of actRESSES who carry on that Hollywood is so unfair to women over 40. No one owes you movie stardom, it’s not even a natural state of being. Get the work (if you can) while you’re yong and accept the fact that you will age out. Hopefully you’ve accumulated some wealth and you can go off and do regional theater etc. if not, then move on. Go back to school, become a nurse, a teacher, sales, finance, become an agent. Just stop complaining and get a life.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 8:10 PM

Why is she complaining, if she has been cast in the latest installment of The Matrix?

It could have gone to a younger actress, but they stuck with Moss.

So shut up and be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2021 5:57 AM

She wasnt complaining, you dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2021 6:44 PM

I forgot who it was, but they were offered the mom role to a “teen” played by a young adult at like 30.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2021 6:45 PM

I always assumed that she made so much money from the Matrix trilogy that it killed her desire to work. I know KR was given a piece of the box office. Her and Fishburne probably got a similar deal since they were crucial to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2021 1:25 PM

Looks good. I hope she doesn't try to go rail thin for the reboot.

I saw her in something after the trilogy and she was good. More importantly, she looked good. It's a body type that needs more visibility.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2021 3:46 PM

I'm a VICTIM. Let there be no doubts about this.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2021 7:24 PM

It’s Hollywood. There’s always someone younger and hotter with perkier tits than you. Suck it up, buttercup. I’m sick of actors and their first world problems.

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2021 7:32 PM

I will never understand casting, Gabrielle Carteris was 29 during her first season of 90210 and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2021 7:35 PM

In the silent movie era women over 25 were too old. Wrong and cruel but reality

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2021 7:35 PM

R27 Gabrielle didn’t disclose her age until later on in the series from what I remember reading. Robyn lively was up for the role of Andrea and would have been more age appropriate- but didn’t want to do be too closely associated with boyfriend, at the time, Jason Priestley

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2021 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!