Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beautiful birds

I used to see these beauties at my grandmother's cottage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2021 2:19 PM

we have them drift by during the summer up on Grand Traverse Bay. Love them!

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 12:57 PM

Beautiful, graceful birds.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 1:10 PM

Lovely to look at, but they’re mean and nasty birds.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 1:17 PM

Best observed from afar, up close they are territorial, aggressive and not at all friendly.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 1:21 PM

They'll break a man's arm!

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 1:23 PM

I can't hear a loon without thinking of my mom. One of the most beautiful sounds in the world to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 1:25 PM

And a woman's heart.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 1:28 PM

Thanks, R6. Loons will always remind me of nights at my grandmother's cottage.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 1:28 PM

This picture is adorable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 1:28 PM

The loons!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 1:37 PM

R6, where was your cottage?

Ours was near Lake of the Woods, Ontario - not too far from Kenora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 1:39 PM

Northern Ontario, r11. Not far from Quebec

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 1:44 PM

Northern Flicker. I get a lot of these birds in my yard. The male has a black "moustache." I've noticed that when a male flicker comes into the yard and there's already one at the feeder, it will leave. On the other hand, if a female arrives and there's another female there, a "fight" will ensue. This "fight" consists mainly of wing-flapping and screaming at one another. All this is done while chasing the other female from tree to tree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 6:25 PM

I just picture the real Miss Lucy (a cat) placing bird feeders to lure in her prey.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 7:05 PM

R14 yes, that would be quite a picture!

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 7:21 PM

Those swans aren't much better than those Canadian Geese when it comes to temperament. They're meaner than spit and shit like Rottweilers. It never fails, whenever I walk past one or more Canadian Geese, they start hissing at me and charging. Of course, I scream like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 7:26 PM

Canada Geese are Dlers, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 7:35 PM

R16 It seems to me that geese in general have a chip on heir collective shoulders. A while back I visited the farm of some elderly relatives, and they had a pet goose. I couldn't turn my back on it, because it would grab me by the calf of the leg and pinch like hell. It reminded me of the goose Samantha in the movie Friendly Persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 7:44 PM

I have a large pond where I live and at times there are 100 geese out there honking and shitting all over the sidewalks. If you ever want to have a laugh, though, pull up YouTube and search for "Canadian Goose sounds" and put it up as loud as you can. They'll start freaking out.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 8:21 PM

Cedar waxwings and Bohemian waxwings. They are beautiful and not mean. They are fat whores that pig out on fruit. When they eat fermented fruit they get drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 9:26 PM

Speaking about Cedar Waxwings...a couple of years ago, I got up one morning during the summer and decided to fill up the bird feeders before breakfast. Imagine my surprise to see a cedar waxwing squatting in the back yard and when I approached it, it didn't fly. I circled it. It ignored me. Back into the house I went to awaken my partner.

All he needed to hear was "waxwing on the ground," and he was off and running. It ignored him, so he picked it up. It was completely calm and didn't struggle in any way. He walked it around for quite a while, and still no struggle. It didn't appear to be injured. Finally, he put it on a branch of one of the cherry trees. It sat there briefly and then flew off.

We figure it might have been drunk on fermented blueberries. There are a lot of blueberries a short distance behind the house, and if bears can get drunk on them and go staggering and rampaging around, I guess a cedar waxwing could do the same.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 10:08 PM

The most beautiful bird to come to our feeder so far is a Painted Bunting. The males are colored like parrots and the females are a chartreuse green-grey color. Both are gorgeous. They're smaller than I expected - like a medium-sized finch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 10:13 PM

Australian Lylebird imitates sounds of lazer guns, kookaburras and nearby highway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 10:15 PM

They're exquisite, R22. So colorful, they look exotic.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 10:16 PM

R13..I get Northern Flickers at my feeder. Not so much during the summer, but in the winter. They are very colorful and gorgeous birds. They are a woodpecker...one of my favorite birds.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 10:20 PM

Just stunning R20 and R22. Beautiful colors. I've never seen Cedar Waxwings with that much color on the wings. Painted bunting...it does look like a tropical bird.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 10:25 PM

Oh...a Bohemian Waxwing..I've never heard of those. Love the colors on their wings. :)

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 10:28 PM

I love woodpeckers, R25.. We get downy woodpeckers fairly often. One was on the trunk of a cherry tree, when suddenly a sharp-shinned hawk swooped into the yard. Everything that was feeding on the ground flew off instantly. The downy stayed on the trunk of the tree, and as the hawk moved around, the downy would move around the trunk, keeping out of the hawk's line of sight. Soon the hawk left. I was amazed at the actions of the downy. It probably figured that if it flew, it would be pursued by the hawk and killed.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 10:32 PM

R28...I get a woodpecker that will start drumming on the siding of my house, just outside of my sliding door. The rat a tat sound was so loud, it really sounded like a very loud jackhammer on the house. That little woodpecker made so much noise! Crazy...

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 10:37 PM

Birds do the darndest things, R29. Last summer, I had the screen off the kitchen window, getting it repaired. (Cats, you know.) It was a hot day, and both sides of the sliding window were open. A humming bird came in the left side of the window, hovered for a minute, staring at me, then flew out the other side. I stood there with my mouth hanging open in amazement.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 10:50 PM

That's very cool! ^^ That reminds me...hummingbird feeders will be going out soon. They are amazing little birds.

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 10:55 PM

The varied thrush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 11:03 PM

r31 In the Puget Sound area, we leave the hummingbird feeders out year-round. As long as they have a food supply, the hummingbirds don't migrate. It's hard to believe that tiny brain can be so clever.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 11:03 PM

r32 The varied thrush is native to the Pacific Northwest. It is featured in the original Twin Peaks intro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 11:18 PM

R33...They are quite territorial. I have feeders that have eight ports, but only one hummer at a time is allowed..lol. As soon as one bird starts feeding...and another comes along, they chase each other. There's plenty for all. :) The hummingbirds by me start returning this month and migrate in September/October.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 11:33 PM

The northern cardinal serves up some badass 1980s Lionel Ritchie All Night Long red Members Only jacket and black cyclops sunglasses realness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 11:34 PM

The first time I ever saw a hummingbird, I thought it was a very large bug..until it hovered. Hahaha...

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 11:35 PM

Love these photos! Birds are beautiful creatures.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 11:36 PM

Not the most stunning, but I love these little guys. Like the loon, these tiny birds and their cheery call remind me of the summers I spent at my grandmother's cottage. I have a handful that visit my feeders and I love hearing their happy sounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 11:42 PM

A beautiful bird is one which fights for its existence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 11:43 PM

Love it! ^^

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 11:48 PM

R39...Chickadees are the cutest! They seem pretty sociable and are always the first in line, when I fill the feeder. They "speak" to me with their sweet call....and I even talk to them a little...lol. Another one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2021 6:15 AM

Are Canadian geese hunted for food? Probably quite delicious.

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2021 6:28 AM

I love herons. Just fascinating. You can easily imagine these creatures as descendants from the dinosaur age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2021 6:31 AM

^^They're protected by federal law...so no.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2021 6:32 AM

Canadian geese that is^^

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2021 6:33 AM

The law is a ass.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2021 6:35 AM

No love for Lady Gouldians?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2021 7:00 AM

Owl finches are cute as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2021 7:02 AM

Blue bird-of-paradise belongs on this list as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2021 7:08 AM

Also, a loon's cry is one of the absolute most beautiful sounds on this earth. It is so relaxing yet mournful at the same time. I miss living on the East Coast as i don't think loons are prevalent on the West Coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2021 7:24 AM

r43 r45 r46 r47 Canada (not Canadian) geese can be hunted and they are very good to eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2021 8:00 AM

I've never eaten geese. there do seem to be quantities to pick off.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 8:30 AM

We have a lot of Canada geese in my area. This time of the year, sometimes a mother and her goslings will cross a street in a single file. All the cars will stop and wait for them to cross.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 11:54 AM

R54, just let them try that in NYC and see how long they will last.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 12:09 PM

That sounds adorable, R54. Not far from where I live, there's a brook where a lot of black ducks and mallards hang out. It's also a residential area, and people are very aware of those ducks trying to cross streets, etc. My partner and I were driving along one day when around the corner comes a mother black duck with a troop of babies, and they are really hurrying along. The worst part of it was that they were on the street, not the sidewalk. However, every car pulled over, doors opened in unison, and everyone had one leg sticking out of the car and planted on the ground, ready to spring into action if things went bad. Fortunately, she made it to the brook with her brood. We figure that she hatched them in somebody's yard and this was their first outing to get into the water.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 12:10 PM

I love that story R56. It's a sweet sight to see... the new chicks this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 57April 13, 2021 1:26 PM

Thanks, R57! Yes, it was quite a site to see. Those ducks know how to make life interesting.

by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 2:38 PM

Grosbeaks are cute little things too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 5:52 PM

I've been lucky enough to see Snowy Owls in the wild. Stunning creatures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2021 5:55 PM

R52 I thought so too. But why does one need decoys and strategies to hunt Canada geese? They are all around, fat waddling and delicious. I bet one could walk up to them and clobber one for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2021 1:59 AM

r61 if they don't bite you first.

by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2021 2:03 AM

The male Hooded Oriole is the most beautiful bird in my backyard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2021 2:40 AM

I also think the male Spotted Towhee is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2021 2:42 AM

I feel bad for geese because so many people like hunting them. Poor things.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2021 2:44 AM

I love these American goldfinches...they are so colorful, fly in packs and are very vocal when they land in your trees. It's always a treat when a little flock lands in your yard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2021 2:48 AM

I see blue jays and cardinals everyday on my feeder. It’s easy to get used to them and forget how beautiful they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2021 3:02 AM

r67 On the left coast, we have blue jay's less attractive and much more annoying (they are loud and raucous) cousin, scrub jay. i miss seeing blue jays! i don't believe we see cardinals in Northern California, but apparently they are rarely seen in SoCal. I miss them too!

by Anonymousreply 68April 14, 2021 3:08 AM

R67 Ordinary common birds are beautiful when you take a close look. Even house sparrows and the flying rats.

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2021 8:00 AM

sparrows are indeed beautiful birds.

i submit the velvet purple coronet (a type of hummingbird).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2021 8:22 AM

The little chick in r9’s photo is taking the red-eye.

by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2021 8:52 AM

We have a lot of American Goldfinches here...it's the state bird. The males are starting to turn the bright yellow color. Their feathers dull down in the fall, late winter...then brighten in the spring. They are gorgeous...little pops of bright yellow. We have Northern Cardinals, bright red and beautiful...Purple Finches, Red Winged Blackbirds, Blue Jays and I've seen Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks in the spring...but not for long. They stop in at the feeder while they're migrating. Chickadees are frequent visitors at the feeder, too....usually first in line in the morning. They are gregarious little birds, always chirping.

by Anonymousreply 72April 14, 2021 11:43 AM

I have great respect for chickadees. They're brave little creatures, too. They'll mob hawks with the best of them. A while back my partner and I were clearing a small portion of land. It had been originally full of wild pear trees, but every one of the trees had died over a period of time, and looked unsightly. We decided that we'd get rid of them and make room for new growth, even plant some bushes and small trees there.

Two chickadees arrived and scolded us terribly. How dare we! When we finished, we walked away, and the chickadees followed us, and at one point they flew between us angrily and I'll swear I could feel their wings graze my head. They would show us!

by Anonymousreply 73April 14, 2021 11:53 AM

Haha R73. :) They are pretty fearless. When a hawk is in the yard, you can hear their loud warning system. Chickadees screech loudly to each other. You hear one near you....then others in the distance..back and forth. They warn other birds, too.

by Anonymousreply 74April 14, 2021 12:30 PM

I just went out to fill the feeder...and saw a large pile of feathers. Uh oh... I think a hawk got one of the birds...looked like it was a dove by the feathers. They're easy prey as they are slow and easy to catch. I'm glad I didn't see it happen. I hope whatever got the bird enjoyed their meal. That's the downside of feeders. Of course, hawks have to eat, too...so long as it was a hawk or preditor animal and not a cat. Cats like to kill, just for the hell of killing.

by Anonymousreply 75April 14, 2021 3:11 PM

Fortunately, R75, the killing attempt sometimes fails. A few years ago, I had a black cat named Tom, a neutered male who was allowed outside only when either my partner or I was with him. On this particular summer day, my partner was gardening and Tom was following him around. Suddenly a young starling appeared on the ground and Tom grabbed it. My partner told me later, that it was as if all movement slowed down and his hearing suddenly failed, he was so shocked. He started to yell at the cat. A flock of grackles nearby began to screech, and Tom, apparently befuddled and freaked out by all the fuss, and not being a seasoned hunter at all, started running round and round the large apple tree with the starling in his mouth, with my partner after him. Fortunately, Tom was too confused and rattled to kill the bird.

The bizarre part was that Tom would drop the starling at intervals and the starling would sort of roll away, then Tom would pick him up again. At one of those times that the starling had been ejected, my partner was able to grab the cat and sling him into the house. The bird was totally unharmed and flew up onto the fence, joined by one of the grackles, who seemed to figure that the starling needed a bodyguard.

Never a dull minute, as my mother used to say.

by Anonymousreply 76April 14, 2021 3:32 PM

No R76... never a dull moment, especially in the outdoors with wildlife. If you pay attention to how birds and animals communicate with each other, it's fascinating. Unfortunately, something has to die for others to survive. I'm glad the starling was unharmed, but that was some drama! Cats do what they do...but I would do my best in trying to save the bird, too. Thanks for the story. :D

by Anonymousreply 77April 14, 2021 4:33 PM

Cats are assholes. Starlings are beautiful birds too. They were brought over by a guy who was obsessed with populating America with all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 78April 14, 2021 5:29 PM

I’d rather a hawk or cat killed them at the bird feeder than when they fly right into the window and die, it’s so sad and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2021 3:11 AM

The Wrentit - poster child of most of CA that can't afford to buy a home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2021 5:42 AM

I've always loved the California quail and their refusal to take flight unless it's absolutely necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2021 5:44 AM

I would love to see a Pileated Woodpecker at the suet feeder. I get other woodpeckers...Downy, Hairy, Red Breasted and Northern Flicker...but no Pileated. Last year, I think I was two Pileated woodpeckers in the backwoods...very fleeting, only a few seconds. I was so excited! Now...come the the feeder.. lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2021 12:35 PM

Sorry..tried to post a link, used to be able to do it, now it doesn't work anymore.^^

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2021 12:37 PM

I have the same problem, R82. I see (and hear) pileated woodpeckers across the field in a lightly wooded area, but they will never come across to our feeders.

by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2021 12:48 PM

Birdbrains. They fly into my house and then keep banging their heads on the window pane trying to get out. I’ve rescued two such this last month. But I love them all.

by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2021 12:56 PM

Yes, R85. That brings back memories. Every single summer since I can remember there is at least one incident of a starling getting into the house.. I think, in my case, they're coming down the chimney and entering from the fireplace. A couple of years ago I had a bed for the dog at the end of the hallway, consisting of layers of old blankets. One day, I saw one of the cats poking around in the blankets as if searching for something, and I figured it had spotted a mouse. I moved the cat aside, and slowly started to remove the layers of blankets one at a time. My aim was to remove the mouse so that it wouldn't be slaughtered by one of the cats. When I got to the last blanket, I was ready for the Great Reveal. My partner looked on with interest.

Imagine my surprise when I whisked the last blanket away, and found a terrified starling staring stupidly up at me, crouched against the closed door.

All hell, as they say, broke loose. The starling broke away and headed for the living room, several cats on its tail, like fighter planes. My partner started tossing cats into the bathroom. We opened all windows.

A half hour later, exhausted, we finally saw the starling's tail exit through the kitchen window.

by Anonymousreply 86April 17, 2021 1:11 PM

..I think I *saw...geez, always see the errors after posting..

by Anonymousreply 87April 17, 2021 1:14 PM

Since the posters here seem to be bird lovers, I don't know if anyone watches Bald Eagle cams, where there are cameras attached to, or near their nest trees and you see the lives of these magnificent birds..bringing prey into the nests, building and adding to their nests...and watching the egg laying, incubation, and hatching of the eaglets. You see competition (which can be brutal at times), for the food brought in, how the parents care for the chicks, and the process of their growth up to the day they fledge. It's pretty fascinating. I watch two....one in NJ, Duke Farms....the other in Florida, Southwest Florida Eagle Cam. There are many nest cams to watch now, throughout the country. You'll find many on Youtube. In New Jersey back in the early 70s, there was only one nesting pair of bald eagles...in south Jersey. DDT almost made these birds extiinct. DDT was banned, and with the help of wildlife experts, the bald eagle population has grown....today, there are 220 nesting pairs in NJ. I even saw a bald eagle in a field by me, eating a deer carcass. There was another nest not far from me, and I would watch the eagles flying in and out, bringing food for their chicks. I kept a good distance, of course, and used binoculars. It used to be that Alaska and western parts of the US would be the only places to see eagles...but now the population has grown a lot in the lower 48 in many states.

by Anonymousreply 88April 17, 2021 1:42 PM

R88 I haven't watched bald eagle cams for the last couple of years, but previous to that, I was a faithful watcher.

I do keep my eye on an actual eagle's nest in an old country cemetery near an area where my partner and I often hike. I hadn't noticed it previously until a few years ago we were strolling through the cemetery and up in a tree we were passing we heard something rustling, looked up, and there, to our surprise, was an adult eagle. We continued on and in front of us in another tree, we noticed an immature eagle, obviously belonging to the adult we had passed. They were not alarmed by our presence, and we quietly went on our way. Once we had passed, they took flight together. Since then, whenever we visit that area, we are always on the lookout for more eagles. There is a large lake nearby, and I assume they do their fishing there.

by Anonymousreply 89April 17, 2021 2:15 PM

R89...That is so cool. Their nests are huge...and as you know, they always nest near water...rivers and lakes. Fish is a big part of their diet.

by Anonymousreply 90April 17, 2021 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!