Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What will provide the longest-lasting protection against the risk of developing a COVID infection?

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 1:22 PM

There is evidence that indicates the vaccine gives better protection than a covid infection. But the vaccine + covid infection we don't have enough data to say.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 11:58 AM

What a poll. Only the first choice makes any choice. The second two choices supposes an infection has occurred that the question seeks to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 12:01 PM

Let’s try to defend the vaccine people!

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 12:04 PM

Since no one knows whether or not the vaccine(s) is effective and for how long.

Since no one knows the behavior of COVID and its variants.

What will provide protection is:

Sheer luck.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 12:08 PM

Anti-vaxers trying especially hard nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 12:18 PM

I think the only people qualified to vote on this here poll is immunologists, epidemiologists, maybe some microbiologists and other scientific/ medical people with a really in depth knowledge of viruses and the immune system. Most of us here dont know shit, me included

I reckon R4 has the best take on this so far - its a crap shoot

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 12:24 PM

It's difficult to be at the forefront of a pandemic. Covid has been playing out much as AIDS did.

People do not want to change. They do not want to change personal behaviors that are important to them, even if they might now be dangerous. They want to be insulated by the government and industry from personal responsibility to protect their own health and the health of others. But they want the government to do it quietly and without creating any intrusion or inconvenience.

They want medical authorities and, again, the government, to provide absolutely accurate and fully developed information about a brand new disease that has never been seen before.

A vaccine is more than a medical treatment. It's a great metaphor for everything people want when faced with a dangerous challenge. Something external to make it all go away. But cheaply. And without difficulty. And NOW.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote]People do not want to change. They do not want to change personal behaviors that are important to them, even if they might now be dangerous. They want to be insulated by the government and industry from personal responsibility to protect their own health and the health of others.

Except, it appears, in Australia and New Zealand. Not forgetting Taiwan, the absolute game winner: as of February 2021 it had had NINE deaths, in a population of nearly 30 million.

Your basic point is right: people instinctively want immediate rescue, including rescue-by-technology. But in those countries, and probably some others, the pandemic proved Mrs Thatcher quite wrong: there IS such a thing as Society, which is not at all the Economy. In a society, it seems people with good leadership, who understand the reason they need to do it, WILL change important personal behaviours, for long periods, in the hope of protecting themselves and others. They'll feel really good about it afterwards, too, and not only because they don't have Covid.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 1:04 PM

Welcome, newly-minted immunologists, public health experts and anti-vaxx trolls posting from God Knows Where!

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote] I think the only people qualified to vote on this here poll is immunologists, epidemiologists, maybe some microbiologists and other scientific/ medical people with a really in depth knowledge of viruses and the immune system.

Monica Gandhi, Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco was interviewed on the 'In The Bubble' podcast and said she didn't agree with the CDC messaging that vaccines are 'another tool in the toolbox'. She said masking, social distancing, and hand-washing are 'tools'; vaccines are 'the solution'. It's an interesting interview altogether, but the part about vaccines being the solution starts around 16:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 1:18 PM

Other factors: age, weight, blood type, vitamin D, ethnicity, sex.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote]immunologists, epidemiologists, maybe some microbiologists and other scientific/ medical people with a really in depth knowledge of viruses and the immune system.

They may have general virus knowledge. But they don't have knowledge about Covid-19, a NOVEL virus. They are learning its behavior as real-world information becomes available.

Someone like Professor Gandhi opining that "vaccines are the solution" is rather premature in her declaration, since no one knows yet whether vaccines are the solution in the case of Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 1:32 PM

R6 those are the ONLY people we should have been listening to from the very beginning. There's so much information, mis-information, hyperbole, vitriol, opinions etc. it's difficult to know what's actually true.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 1:46 PM

According to medical experts in Australia, on what we know so far the MRNA vaccines are the best there is, so the US is finally having some good luck to be having mainly Pfizer and Moderna. It appears that that is also the easiest technology to adapt quickly into boosters to deal with the mutated strains: boosters should be appearing by the end of 2021.

R12, it depends what you want a solution to. Most, if not all, of the vaccines seem to be very good at preventing serious disease and death. Theoretically, if you reduce it to the level of a bad cold it doesn't really matter whether it continues to circulate.

The problem is that if it continues to circulate it may continue to mutate, and nobody wants that. Unfortunately, the experts don't yet know by how much the vaccines will stop it from circulating. Also, the longer it continues to circulate in poor countries with no early access to the vaccine, the more chance it could throw out a mutation against which the vaccines already administered are useless. So there IS no one "solution".

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 1:57 PM

A consistent theme in this thread: "the experts don't fully understand..."

Yet, many of the posters here seem to "fully understand" and are putting forth all types of theories. 🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 2:03 PM

I offer sufficient protection.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote] Someone like Professor Gandhi opining that "vaccines are the solution" is rather premature in her declaration, since no one knows yet whether vaccines are the solution in the case of Covid-19.

I obviously cannot speak for Dr. Gandhi, nor am I an expert, but, in general, vaccines were indeed the solution to largely eradicating smallpox and polio.

Perhaps these particular vaccines are not the end solution, i.e. we will need booster shots and vaccines will need to be modified as new variants arise, but I think what she was trying to communicate is that 'tools' such as social distancing and masks are unsustainable in the long run, and the only way we're ever going to get past this virus is to vaccinate as many people as possible.

Listening to 'In The Bubble' yesterday, I learned that the polio vaccine was first introduced in 1952. I did not receive the 'Salk vaccine' because I hadn't been born yet, I received the 'Sabin vaccine' in 1961, which was the so-called 'sugar cube vaccine', when I was 4. But up until then, my parents had no hesitation in letting me out to play or attend school, there was no masking, and nobody ever heard of 'social-distancing'.

Those of us who are not in the field tend to think of the 'polio vaccine' as being a cure that was fast and easy, when in fact it took decades of research and then, even after the vaccine was developed, more years of development and modification to get everyone inoculated, however, the initial vaccines were successful in allowing people to lead perfectly normal lives.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 12:28 PM

Herd immunity. But for obese Americans, nothing will stop them from premature, preventable deaths. 400 lbs but so terrified of COVID-19, isn't that such a misplaced fear?

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 12:33 PM

I’m pretty sure getting COVID won’t prevent you from getting COVID

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2021 12:51 PM

Masks and vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2021 12:54 PM

What R19 said. This is why we have flu shots every year. Please educate yourselves. You don’t get longterm immunity from every infection. Covid will be around a while, maybe for the rest of our lives.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2021 12:56 PM

[quote] Covid will be around a while, maybe for the rest of our lives.

Exactly. The sooner everyone is vaccinated, the sooner things become manageable. But this ain't going away, so get your shit together and get vaccinated. It's the only way to avoid the social and economic damage caused by this dangerous virus.

And, by the way, fuck 'religious exemptions.' If you want a religious exemption from a vaccine, you should have it. But your vaccine exemption should come with an exemption from ever leaving your house until you are vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2021 1:14 PM

I'm vaxxed to the MAX

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!