Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Fave Glenn Greenwald Defends Matt Gaetz!!

He's so innocent!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2021 5:04 AM

Glenn Greenwald is a true independent journalist. It's amazing that you have certain factions of the left who crusade against laws that they say are overly punitive to gay man who sleep with men under the age of 16, yet are totally outraged by this when the laws in 37 states say that these women could have legally consented.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 4:02 AM

Why do you think he lives in Brazil? He likes ‘em young too.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 4:05 AM

Glenn Greenwald is a creep. He’s sticking up for his own kind.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 4:06 AM

I despise both Glenn Greenwald and Matt Gaetz (for very different reasons, obviously), but he literally says the words "I am not defending Matt Gaetz" within the first two minutes of the video.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote]I despise both Glenn Greenwald and Matt Gaetz (for very different reasons, obviously), but he literally says the words "I am not defending Matt Gaetz" within the first two minutes of the video.

"I am not a racist, but ... "

"I have nothing against gays and lesbians, but ... "

"I am not defending Matt Gaetz, but ... "

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 4:16 AM

GG is a bad, bad person.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 4:18 AM

r4 He says he isn't, but if you listen to the rest of the video he's saying this is all unfair against Gaetz because he hasn't been charged with anything. Then Greenwald goes on to say that liberals are too puritanical compared to when he was coming of age. :(

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 6:00 AM

Is this the same Glenn Greenwald who repeatedly pushed the Tara Reade sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden that completely fell apart under the faintest of scrutiny? That Glenn Greenwald?

He's right about all of this "trial by media" shit, but he fails to acknowledge that he's just as guilty of it as anybody.

So weird that he was ready to string Biden up by his old, dried-up, gray nuts, but wants us to give Gaetz his due process.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 6:15 AM

KGB man going to bat again for the right wing. They can do no wrong but to him Hillary was the biggest criminal on the planet. Basically anyone who is Putin's enemy he will go after and whoever is Putins friend he will defend to the hilt.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 6:17 AM

Glenn's a political operative, not a journalist.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 6:24 AM

It is usual for him to pick a topic and prattle on for thirty minutes when he could have just tweeted one sentence and said what he wanted to say? He must love his own voice, which seem unusual for a writer?

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 6:55 AM

Some one needs to break into his house and tie him up

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 6:58 AM

GG: Hunter Biden needs to be investigated, he's obviously guilty of something! I don't know what, but he is, and WHY AREN'T YOU COVERING IT, LIBERALS?

Also GG: Matt Gaetz is innocent until proven guilty. The media shouldn't report on anything until the investigation is complete.

Glenn is a fraud. The more you read about Snowden/Assange, the more it's obvious he constructed a narrative around them that doesn't make sense. The Intercept editorial staff questioned his sources and wanted him to not interject disinformation into his work, and he left rather than be exposed as a mouthpiece for bad actors.

He's the reason Reality Winner is still in prison, but he never talks about her or advocates for her like he does for either Assange or Snowden. She believed the false narrative he built around PRISM and the NSA, and she is now paying the price for it. She should be pardoned, but because of her association with Glenn she won't be, and that's fucked up.

Glenn claims to be a free speech advocate but uses his following of libertarian snotrockets to browbeat anyone he disagrees with into silence.

He's trying to make Substack a thing people should be talking about when it's just a monetized LiveJournal.

He's a cockstain who continues to profit through the suffering of others.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 7:24 AM

I know little about GG but it is true that the vast majority of states have 17 as the age of consent.so,screaming child molesfor and putting someone away for 10 years does seem like overkill. How is it that different from draconian drug laws in some states and complete legality in others. It’s just because MG is horrible that people want him destroyed. Of course as a legislator, he should be forced from office if found guilty.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 7:37 AM

I agree with every word R13 wrote.

I also agree with R14– I want Gaetz imprisoned because he’s a duplicitous scumbag, and if he gets charged with child sex trafficking, fine, but I loathe the people who are conflating fucking a 17-year-old with being a pedophile. Fucking a 17-year-old is legal in many states and countries (sometimes 16 is the age of consent), and pedophilia is when you’re attracted to prepubescent children, not someone who is legally considered an adult or one year away from it. If people really think Gaetz or anyone else who fucks a 17-year-old is a pedophile, then they must be absolutely outraged all day every day about all the states where such ‘pedophilia’ is legal.

Regardless, fuck Gaetz and fuck Greenwald and I wish the latter would’ve been tortured a lot harder during his recent home invasion.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 7:49 AM

Greenwald was attacking Bellingcat this weekend, the news organisation who are doing fantastic work in investigating Putin and Russian state backed atrocities, including identifying the 2 Russian agents who launched the chemical attack on the Skripals in Salisbury which killed a vulnerable woman.

Greenwald dismisses Bellingcat as CIA operatives because they criticise his mate Vladimir.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 8:12 AM

R14 & R15, 17 may technically be the age of consent in many states but that doesn't make it morally right for a much older adult to have sex with someone that young.

And the point that Greenwald is overlooking is that the Republicans are supposedly the party of family values. This is sleazy, hypocritical behavior for a Republican Congressman to engage in.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2021 12:32 PM

Glenn’s a Commie traitor.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2021 12:35 PM

never ever heard of glen greenwald before

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2021 12:36 PM

I’d forgotten all about Reality Winner. Her jail term expires in November 2021. Her lawyer had asked for her to be released to house arrest due to Corona but was denied. She did catch Corona and recovered.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote]f you listen to the rest of the video he's saying this is all unfair against Gaetz because he hasn't been charged with anything.

So journalist Glenn Greenwald believes other journalists shouldn't report on any alleged wrongdoing until a subject is actually charged with a crime?

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote]It is usual for him to pick a topic and prattle on for thirty minutes when he could have just tweeted one sentence and said what he wanted to say?

OMG, yes. I was reading Glenn way the fuck back in the early War on Terror days when he was an unpaid blogger and one of the few people writing in detail about the grotesque legal shenanigans the Bush admin was engaged in. He could drag anything out. He beats the dead horse to a pulp, reshapes the pulp, braids its remaining hair and starts again. I read him for scarcity reasons. I was shocked when he actually built a writing career.

Having said that, I hate: (1) the Mann Act; (2) the conflation of "I like em immature with dewy skin" and "I am sexually attracted to prepubescent humans"; and (3) "sex trafficking" investigations in which no one bothers to ask the allegedly trafficked individuals how they feel about the matter. There is a shit ton of puritanical, controlling bullshit tied up in these types of stories. I think there's something fundamentally broken about people in their 30s who are still pursuing sexual relationships with teenagers, but I don't think it should be criminalized without concern for how the teenager feels about it.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote] So journalist Glenn Greenwald believes other journalists shouldn't report on any alleged wrongdoing until a subject is actually charged with a crime?

Some senator said Gaetz was already charged and the press just ran with it without checking. You can report on an ongoing investigation without making up facts.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2021 2:25 PM

As a lawyer, he was defending members of far-right militia, and, even as recent as 2013 praised the Oath Keepers. Do I really need to pay attention to any verbal diarrhea that comes out of his mouth so prolifically? Maybe he can publish a collection of his musings in Russian and get a deal from Arktos Publishing or some Russian propaganda dissemination house.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2021 2:28 PM

Glenn Greenwald is a Russian asset.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote]Some senator said Gaetz was already charged and the press just ran with it without checking.

Which senator was that, I can't find anything on Google.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2021 2:50 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen that reported anywhere. Maybe he's thinking of Gaetz's buddy Joel Greenburg?

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2021 2:58 PM

Retard16

... Bellingcat this weekend, the news organisation who are doing fantastic work in investigating Putin and Russian state backed atrocities...

You mean this Bellingcat?

“ An alarming number of Bellingcat’s staff and contributors come from highly suspect backgrounds. Senior Investigator Nick Waters, for example, spent three years as an officer in the British Army, including a tour in Afghanistan, where he furthered the British state’s objectives in the region. Shortly after leaving the service, he was hired by Bellingcat to provide supposedly bias-free investigations into the Middle East.

“Former contributor Cameron Colquhoun’s past is even more suspect. Colquhoun spent a decade in a senior position in GCHQ (Britain’s version of the NSA), where he ran cyber and Middle Eastern terror operations. The Scot specializes in Middle Eastern security and also holds a qualification from the U.S. State Department. None of this, however, is disclosed by Bellingcat, which merely describes him as the managing director of a private intelligence company that “conduct[s] ethical investigations” for clients around the world — thus depriving readers of key information they need to make informed judgments on what they are reading.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2021 3:03 PM

Hey Svetlana, how much ruble you clever Russian lady make in troll farm?

Do you dream escape Moscow and use degree do good in maybe school clinic?

Maybe dream of aspire to Red Sparrow agency like Jennifer Lawrence film?

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]There is a shit ton of puritanical, controlling bullshit tied up in these types of stories. I think there's something fundamentally broken about people in their 30s who are still pursuing sexual relationships with teenagers, but I don't think it should be criminalized without concern for how the teenager feels about it.

There is still much, MUCH more to this story and the investigation than puritanical hand-wringing over a 17 year-old.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2021 3:09 PM

R1, if they are under 16 they aren’t ‘men’ , you pervert.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2021 3:39 PM

R31 Yes, it was a typo, but way to miss to the point entirely.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2021 3:50 PM

Brave man.

“Recently, I raised questions about this ideology at a mandatory, whites-only student and faculty Zoom meeting. (Such racially segregated sessions are now commonplace at my school.) It was a bait-and-switch “self-care” seminar that labelled “objectivity,” “individualism,” “fear of open conflict” and even “a right to comfort” as characteristics of white supremacy. I doubted that these human attributes — many of them virtues reframed as vices — should be racialized in this way. In the Zoom chat, I also questioned whether one must define oneself in terms of a racial identity at all. My goal was to model for students that they should feel safe to question ideological assertions if they felt moved to do so. It seemed like my questions broke the ice. Students and even a few teachers offered a broad range of questions and observations. Many students said it was a more productive and substantive discussion than they expected.

“However, when my questions were shared outside this forum, violating the school norm of confidentiality, I was informed by the head of the high school that my philosophical challenges had caused “harm” to students, given that these topics were “life and death matters, about people’s flesh and blood and bone.” I was reprimanded for “acting like an independent agent of a set of principles or ideas or beliefs.” And I was told that by doing so, I failed to serve the “greater good and the higher truth.” He further informed me that I had created “dissonance for vulnerable and unformed thinkers” and “neurological disturbance in students’ beings and systems.” The school’s director of studies added that my remarks could even constitute harassment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2021 3:57 PM

Fuck the NYPost!

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2021 3:58 PM

Russians have a very apt phrase for tools like him: полезный идиот.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2021 5:42 PM

Very good use of propaganda, Comrade Glenn. You get extra ration of borscht and vodka this month.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2021 5:45 PM

What I hate is that when people on the right are doing it, it's no big deal, but when people on the left are doing it, it's a crime. The outrage of it is that gay men have been labelled pedophiles for a hundred years yet when straight men [italic]actually engage[/italic] in sex with a minor, we're supposed to look the other way and normalize it. No fucking way, period.

Recall in the lead-up to the 2020 election, the California Legislature attempted to pass a law redefining relationships between someone under 18 with someone up to 10 years older as legal , and the right went batshit crazy over it and then tried to claim that if Biden won, all law regarding sexual exploitation would be repealed and child rape would be on TV within minutes. The right's effort fortunately failed, but this points out the reason why we have exploitation laws, why we have law dating back hundreds of years defining minority/majority (in terms of age of consent) status, and why we have human trafficking law. We must draw the line somewhere, and while it's arbitrary, it's important to have.

I get your point, R22:

[quote] "sex trafficking" investigations in which no one bothers to ask the allegedly trafficked individuals how they feel about the matter

but you're missing the point that we must recognize that minor children are incapable of making rational decisions that will have enduring impact. The human brain is simply not wired for thinking about long term consequences at that age; I'd argue, in agreement with psychological understanding of how our brains develop, that humans aren't really capable of understanding long term consequences until several years later (in their early 20s). There are reasons why we don't try children as adults (unless there are specific circumstances, and drift of those circumstances is a can-of-worms topic for another discussion) and why we basically wipe the slate clean for most child criminals when they turn 18.

My point regarding Gaetz and his sexual trafficking allegations is that there are standards of behavior in a civilized society, and they are determined and defined in advance so that everybody knows, with emphasis on the everybody part. Giving Matt Gaetz a pass because the 17-year-old girl didn't know better or even wanted to engage in the relationship is legalizing discrimination against anyone convicted of such crimes... because no one thought [italic]they[/italic] deserved special dispensation (due to, in large part, their right-leaning politics). This is a fundamental concept: we live under the rule of law, not the rule of man. To give Gaetz a pass means that we should then give every convicted rapist and/or sexual or human trafficker a pass, too. And that laws regarding the age of majority should be repealed.

If Gaetz is attracted to young women, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of 18-year-old women who can and do pass for under 18 every day. He can "date" one of them, and leave the children alone.

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2021 7:07 PM

Strange hill for GG to die on

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2021 7:12 PM

[quote] What I hate is that when people on the right are doing it, it's no big deal, but when people on the left are doing it, it's a crime.

When are men ever getting a pass for fooling around with underage women? Women don't face the same consequences for being involved with underage men but when men do it, it's looked as as more predatory, regardless of the orientation.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2021 7:52 PM

And just to illustrate this point further, no one here was giving Gaetz a pass when they thought he was fucking Nestor.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2021 7:55 PM

An encyclopedic knowledge of each state/country's age of consent is, shall we say, a big fucking red flag.

CF: Matt Taibbi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2021 8:38 PM

I know R41 is supposed to be a dig on Matt Taibbi but the article is excellent and I agreed with every word he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]There is a shit ton of puritanical, controlling bullshit tied up in these types of stories. I think there's something fundamentally broken about people in their 30s who are still pursuing sexual relationships with teenagers, but I don't think it should be criminalized without concern for how the teenager feels about it.

Much older adults having sexual relationships with teenagers may not be illegal in some jurisdictions but it's still unethical and immoral. And it's particularly wrong for Members of Congress who are supposed to set an example.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2021 12:42 PM

I agree with Glenn Greenwald. I hate Gaetz but this is all a politically motivated hack job. All of the e people who two weeks ago were defending Andrew Cuomo sexually harassing his interns are now mad at Gaetz because he had consensual relationships with women who are legal in majority of states?

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2021 12:56 PM

Nice try, troll, but as much of a sleazebag Cuomo may be (and he is, in my opinion), he didn't pay anyone for sex or trafficked 17 year old girls. Now, go back to Sputnik news.

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2021 1:09 PM

R45 Nah, what Cuomo did sounds way worse.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2021 2:47 PM

If you look at American boys these days, you couldn't tell that this one is under 18! He looks so old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2021 2:50 PM

R38, not really if you look at his own relationship history.

Glenn is VERY sensitive to allegations about older men preying on very young partners.

by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2021 2:53 PM

Oh, and you trolls can stop. The allegations against Gaetz are about a lot more than hooking up with a 17 year old. Who the fuck is dense enough to believe the feds would give a shit about that? The allegations include trafficking/prostitution, misuse of campaign funds, and his association with a local FL politician who has been charged with fraud, embezzlement, and a bunch of other crimes.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2021 3:12 PM

Those fake IDs allow you to be more than one person. He and Greenberg hung out at the office on weekends.

This fighting stance of Gaetz makes little sense as the Feds have had his phone since December.

I’m interested in the fake PPE loans as well. Did any of those funds send busloads of qanon idiots on 1/6?

by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2021 3:31 PM

What I'm worried about is all the fake IDs that Greenberg and Gaetz made (using the state's official equipment, no less) and handed off to the Proud Boys and/or the Oath Keepers so that they could run out and buy guns and ammo under false documentation, especially knowing that many of that crowd's gun purchases are banned due to prior infractions and law breaking.

by Anonymousreply 51April 15, 2021 3:39 PM

Has Glenn Greenwald had anything to say today about Konstantin Kilimnik being officially identified by the DoJ as the Russian spy to whom Trump’s campaign manager Paul “no need to pay me, sir” Manafort passed polling data?

What about Taibbi, or the other Russia-collusion denialist nutjob Aaron Maté? Caitlin Johnstone? Any of the other Assange ass-lickers?

Dying to hear from them.

by Anonymousreply 52April 15, 2021 5:44 PM

R52 Glenn at least is saying that it is the government lying. They will NEVER admit that they were wrong about a lot of the Russiagate stuff.

Glenn is just another grifter. He started going on Tucker Carlson and realized that he could fleece right wingers now so thats why he's now a full fledged Fox News style "commentator" on social issues and why he bends over backwards to criticize liberals in any way he can.

by Anonymousreply 53April 15, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]He could drag anything out. He beats the dead horse to a pulp, reshapes the pulp, braids its remaining hair and starts again. I read him for scarcity reasons. I was shocked when he actually built a writing career.

r22, those four concise, vivid and memorable sentences prove you're a better writer than Greenwald. I hope you're a writer in real life.

by Anonymousreply 54April 15, 2021 8:24 PM

R39, excuuuuuuuse me?!?

by Anonymousreply 55April 15, 2021 9:26 PM

R53 because they weren't wrong about Russia.

by Anonymousreply 56April 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Guess i'm out of the loop, becuase i have no idea what and who a glenn greenwald is!...

by Anonymousreply 57April 15, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote] Glenn at least is saying that it is the government lying. They will NEVER admit that they were wrong about a lot of the Russiagate stuff.

Such as?

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2021 12:43 AM

Google "Glenn Greenwald" and "Piss Boys in Love" if you want an entertaining look into his career in underage gay Brazilian porn.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote][R53] because they weren't wrong about Russia.

*cough* Konstantin Kiliminik *cough*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote]I know R41 is supposed to be a dig on Matt Taibbi but the article is excellent and I agreed with every word he wrote.

So this is your way of confessing you've fucked underage boys?

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2021 2:42 AM

R60, sorry, I misread your message and posted hastily.

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote][R60], sorry, I misread your message and posted hastily.

I'm not R53, but no worries. Too many Greenwald fanboi trolls posting here.

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2021 3:20 AM

Well shit. I couldn't even get that right. Time to log off.

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2021 3:26 AM

Is Gaetz in jail?

Or under indictment?

Or was GG right...again.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2021 4:08 AM

Greenwald is a porn hack who is a contrarian for attention.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2021 4:24 AM

R66

Link?

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2021 5:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!