Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many of the Ten Commandments have you broken in your lifetime?

Here's the list, in case you forgot them:

I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange Gods before me

Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day

Honour thy father and thy mother

Thou shalt not kill

Thou shalt not commit adultery

Thou shalt not steal

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods

Some tales of the whole "Moses and the Ten Commandments" say that the first time Moses went up the mountain, he came down with the secrets of the Kabbalah to be given to the people, but he destroyed them when he saw that the peasants couldn't handle themselves for forty days without turning from God. So he went back up the mountain, and came down again, but this time he had the Ten Commandments, for the "Children of Israel" - because they were not ready for the wisdom of the Kabbalah and instead needed a simple list of rules to live by.

There's no "none" on this poll because I KNOW none of you heathens are that innocent!

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 6:40 AM

Not enough.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 1:14 AM

Nobody can prove a thing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 1:16 AM

I certainly haven't coveted my neighbors wife.

Also, it depends on the definition of the word "kill".

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 1:19 AM

I've only broken 3, minor league ones. I'm okay.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 1:19 AM

Little known fact--there were originally 15 commandments on three tablets. On the way down the mountain, Moses tripped and dropped the tablet with 11-15 on it, breaking it into pieces. There were no witnesses, except God, so Moses figured he'd get away with telling everyone there were only Ten Commandments.

The most interesting of the remaining five, #15, was "Now that you have read to the end, ignore them all and sign your name to the top of the paper."

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 1:21 AM

I think "covet thy neighbors' wife" can also be read as "coveting the married partner of another".

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 1:27 AM

R3, hmm, good point wrt "kill". I had given myself a pass, but I've certainly killed both food and house pets.

So maybe it's just coveting and adultery that I'm missing from my collection.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 1:29 AM

Is it adultery if you have sex with a married guy, but you yourself aren't married?

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 1:33 AM

Maybe I’m defining covet less strictly than you bitches. I understand covet to mean to yearn for or lust for. You’ve never lusted for someone else’s partner or spouse?!?

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 1:33 AM

Damn all accept for kill, steal, bear false witness, and strange Gods...

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 1:36 AM

I think "not taking the Lord's name in vain" means Yaweh, or YHVH, not "God", too. But I'm no seminarian.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 1:38 AM

If I’ve never cheated on my boyfriend but I’ve slept with somebody else’s husband have I committed adultery?

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 1:39 AM

9 out of 10 if I understand them correctly

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 1:45 AM

Adultery, stealing, coveting goods, taking the Lord's name in vain.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 1:53 AM

Oh no. We’re all whores and we’re going to Hell.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 1:59 AM

The Ten Commandments are only important as they pertain their basis of common law.

The history of God with man in the Judeo-Christian construct is a series of contracts, the final being with Christ. He only mentioned six of the original ten, and when asked which were greatest created two based in love for God and neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 2:06 AM

If killing a bug or a mouse counts as killing I'm down with all 10, baby

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 2:13 AM

I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 2:15 AM

What is YHVH or Yaweh?

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 2:20 AM

OP is a Catholic. That's not the original Ten Commandments. They should read as follows, per Exodus 20:

𝐈. You shall have no other gods before me.

𝐈𝐈. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

𝐈𝐈𝐈. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

𝐈𝐕. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

𝐕. Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

𝐕𝐈. You shall not murder.

𝐕𝐈𝐈. You shall not commit adultery.

𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. You shall not steal.

𝐈𝐗. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

𝐗. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 2:20 AM

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 2:23 AM

[quote]What is YHVH or Yaweh?

R19, it's Yahweh. Originally one of the 70 sons of El Elyon, apportioned Israel as his people/territory, later re-imagined as the one and only transcendent God, creator of the universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 2:25 AM

All except 𝐈., 𝐕𝐈., 𝐕𝐈𝐈., and 𝐈𝐗., from the original biblical set listed at R20.

I was once a believer, now an anti-theist. I went from worshiping the one god to worshiping none. I've never worshiped any others.

I've never murdered anyone.

Never been married; no adultery possible.

Never borne false witness against anyone.

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 2:41 AM

Here we go again.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 3:47 AM

Are we going to gloss over the fact that R7 has killed house pets?

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 3:56 AM

R22 Again with the bullshit, Xtian MISinterpretations of Jewish laws/text with zip connection to the source text. It's יהוה , one of several non-vocalized names of G-d that appears in the Jewish Bible. It's not vocalized or pronounced, except by complete idiots. "Yahweh" and "Yehovah or Jehovah", which are both possible pronounciations of the Hebrew. are Xtian nonsense.

(At least you got the translation for the Sixth Commandment right at R20).

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote](At least you got the translation for the Sixth Commandment right at [R20]).

Addendum: Make that something that passes for correct. The Sixth Commandment is לא תרצח Don't murder. The Thou shalt not and You shall not are yet more Xtian nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 4:28 AM

As long as you consider eating meat or killing nuts within murder, there is no one who hasn’t done all 10 or they are lying.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 4:53 AM

*killing bugs

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 4:54 AM

I want to hear from the people who've broken all ten!

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 5:40 AM

I’ve only broken 123. I’m godless but not unethical.

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 7:18 AM

Thou shalt not sucketh thy neighors cocketh

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 7:20 AM

The Hebrew God left rape and enslavement off the list. Just an oversight, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 7:52 AM

Three don't count because they apply exclusively to members of the club.

I checked two: adultery and theft.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 7:58 AM

[quote]The Hebrew God left rape and enslavement off the list

No, Xtian thieves stealing Jewish law conveniently ignored those parts. They couldn't read the Hebrew source text anyway.

Rape in Jewish law is a capital offense.

There are numerous laws throughout the Jewish Bible and Talmud about עבדות which does not translate as slavery, but is derived from the word work.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 9:09 AM

According to Transactional Evangelicals and Catholics this is now, The Ten Suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 9:13 AM

You know, having grown up atheist and reading these consciously for the first time in years, this really is not a good list, is it? By the standards of other world religions, that is...

I find the Buddhist precepts much clearer and more concise:

1. Abstention from killing living beings

2. Abstention from theft

3. Abstention from sexual misconduct

4. Abstention from falsehood

5. Abstention from intoxication

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 9:16 AM

Doesn't "bearing false witness" include going to internet message boards and anonymously posting shit that you think you know about people, but you don't really know for sure because you weren't there to actually witness it and/or are feeding off rumors and speculation and/or read it somewhere else on the internets, so it has to be true?!?

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 9:29 AM

Where's the fun in abstention from intoxication, r37? I'll stick with the Christian ones, which explicitly encourage drinking wine ("Do this in memory of me" -- yes, sir!).

I do have a major problem with coveting, though. I fully admit to that.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 10:09 AM

That's because you're drunk all the time, R39.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 11:22 AM

[quote] Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife

Well since I am gay and have only coveted my neighbour's husband, I haven't committed that one or killed anyone, YET.

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 12:37 PM

This Hebrew scholar says the Ten Commandments are translated incorrectly:

"

According to Hoffman, the other mistranslated commandment is the one that concerns killing. (It's the sixth commandment for most Protestants and Jews, the fifth for Catholics.)

One familiar rendering, "do not kill," is too broad, he says, because the original Hebrew did not prohibit all kinds of killing. So recent high-profile political claims that the Bible categorically forbids killing are in error, says Hoffman.

But the other common variation, "do not murder," is too narrow, because the commandment included not just murder but also the equivalent of manslaughter and other illegal homicide. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Also:

"Hoffman reports that the commandment commonly quoted as "thou shalt not covet" is more accurately translated as "do not take," and that the commandment applies only to actions, not to states of mind.

"We now know that the Ten Commandments take no position on how you feel, only on what you do," he says. "

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Well...I’ve never murdered anyone. Is that good???

by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2021 5:07 PM

Every single damn one of them

by Anonymousreply 45April 12, 2021 5:51 PM

Trust me, they really are sticklers for that whole "Thou shalt not kill" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 46April 12, 2021 6:58 PM

None, officer.

by Anonymousreply 47April 12, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote]There are numerous laws throughout the Jewish Bible and Talmud about עבדות which does not translate as slavery, but is derived from the word work.

Stop the handwaving. Rape and Slavery are not in the 10 commandments, which you claim were written directly by God into stone. Did he just not have room?

by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2021 7:01 PM

I said nine but I forgot about the time I killed my mother. So, 10.

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2021 7:03 PM

Who the fuck thinks like this except Christofascists?

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2021 7:15 PM

Does sleeping with a married man while one is single count as adultery for both partners?

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2021 7:21 PM

R51, it means you're a whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2021 7:58 PM

R43, that would make the 10th Commandment redundant with the 8th.

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2021 3:07 AM

[quote][R22] Again with the bullshit

Yes, R26 (Matt, according to some), here you come again with your bullshit. This entire thread on the subject of the Ten Commandments, and I'm the only one you call out to take issue with. Troll somebody else.

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2021 3:12 AM

R19 YHVH is written as the name of God in biblical texts but (as I understand it) since biblical Hebrew didn't have vowel notations, no one knows exactly how it's pronounced. The true word itself - with the proper vowel intonations - is supposed to have tremendous power when spoken in the proper rituals, for example bringing golems to life. I believe that's what the commandment not to use the Lord's name callously is supposed to mean.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2021 6:34 AM

Oh, and Yahweh is the God of the Old Testament who is all vengeful and nasty if you cross him. "Some people say" (Zechariah Sitchin) that Yahweh and a handful of others (I think Baal and similar) were actually aliens who used advanced technology and that's why that God is so different from the New Testament God, because they are two different entities.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2021 6:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!