Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gawker's coming back!

Oh hell yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2021 4:12 PM

So?

It’ll be even more woke and insufferable than it was when it died.

If the old-school original Gawker came back, I might take a gander.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2021 1:16 AM

Yeah, hopefully they won't rehire any of the writers and editors that ran it into the ground. And definitely no one from Jezebel!

Also, what the hell are the two creatures in this photo? :-o

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2021 1:18 AM

Gawker could be fun but it was gross towards the end - they outted a married exec at Conde Nast. He wasn't a public figure or some outspoken homophobe. Rich Juzwiak comes across as an asshole too

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2021 1:20 AM

All of the best writers left Gawker before it died. Max Read was the editor that ran the Conde Nast piece based on the ramblings from a nutjob Texas hooker. The nonsense that occurred under his tenure was the worst, most insufferable "smelling our own farts and thinking they're lilacs" behavior. The writers by that time - the good ones having mostly left long before - were all spoiled trust fund entitled Millennials. The editor that ended up finishing off Gawker, however, was the one that ran the Hulk Hogan story, A.J. Daulerio.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2021 1:25 AM

Gawker was fucking hilarious when they were going after media scumbags like Maureen Dowd, David Brooks, etc. But they devolved into sanctimonious creeps.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2021 1:30 AM

R2 The person on the left is Daniel Lavery, nee Mallory Ortberg. They write the dear Prudence column, famous for attracting ESTs.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2021 1:31 AM

They're both very... matronly.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2021 1:32 AM

R1 must be Peter Thiel.

I guess dishing the dirt on people who deserve it is "woke"

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2021 1:33 AM

[quote] The editor that ended up finishing off Gawker, however, was the one that ran the Hulk Hogan story, A.J. Daulerio.

And that's ironic because Daulerio was hilarious as editor of Deadspin and as a writer at Gawker. They really lost their way.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2021 1:34 AM

The time under Daulerio was Gawker before it began its decline. I don't remember who ran the stories that pissed off Peter Thiel in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2021 1:37 AM

So bizarre how they essentially committed suicide over the Hogan sex tape. What a bunch of dummies, why ruin your website for something no one had any interest in anyways.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2021 1:38 AM

r11 it was Peter Thiel who used Hogan to try to take Gawker down, because he was pissed they had outed him (or something, he's a horrible creep).

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2021 1:39 AM

Gross. Leah Finnegan is a name I remembered, because she was one of the most insufferable ones. She got in a shouting match with Denton over the removal of the disgusting Conde Nast story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2021 1:42 AM

Finnegan is also the one who made a "name" for herself mocking celebrity baby names. When Denton told her naming a post "Zoe Salanda Gives Birth to Hipster Scum" was too much, Finnegan responded, "I never regret speaking my truth and criticizing a poor celebrity naming choice, Nick."

"Speaking (her) truth"...about celebrity baby names. She's a nutcase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2021 1:45 AM

It was a single woman writer who really put Gawker on the map. I forget her name. She penned all that delicous early snark. She really established the playful 'up-yours!' tone of the site. She resigned and was replaced by Choire Sicha. He was also good, but not as good as her. Both sadly haven't made a dent since. After he left, no one was any good.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2021 2:16 AM

Elizabeth Spiers

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2021 2:18 AM

Sicha is the editor of the NYT Styles section and has brought on many ex-Gawker writers.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2021 2:23 AM

Elizabeth Spiers! That's it! What happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] They're both very... matronly.

The person on the right is Ortberg’s spouse Grace Lavery, formerly Joe. English professor at Berkeley, but currently on sabbatical.

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2021 2:38 AM

WHET Nick Denton? He married that hot guy, seemed to live the high life - then it all went belly up. Seemed to disappear. Hopefully he saved some money.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2021 3:02 AM

I love Richard Lawson. I wish VF would use him more.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2021 3:10 AM

I don't care as long as they don't hire Emily Gould or Julia Allison or whichever talent-free asshole it was they both fucked.

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2021 4:49 AM

r18, she founded something called The Insurrection:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2021 1:48 PM

I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 1:52 PM

I am not ashamed to admit that I was embarrassingly proud when Richard Lawson ungreyed me.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 1:56 PM

Richard Lawson is hilarious, altho has turned oddly bitter now that he's got a boyfriend.

If Leah is one of the insufferable ones then the new Gawker will be just like the old Gawker, right before it was shut down. That means it will suck.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Those were the glory days, at Gawker. With me, I wrote the best stories, remember? Everyone loved me. ME. ME. ME.

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 5:47 PM

I liked Richard Lawson’s recaps of the Real Housewives and that other show about the kids on the UES. “Rags McTattershanty” was my favorite takeaway.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2021 6:23 PM

I think it was lightning in a bottle, and the magic can’t be recaptured.

I feel that way about “Arrested Development”, Dlisted, Twinkies.

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 6:25 PM

^^ Oh, and Spy Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 6:26 PM

R28, I loved that one too - but this is a really stupid idea. Some things are part of their era and there's no point in trying to revive them

They'd do just as well with a new launch of "Laugh-In".

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 6:26 PM

Agree 100% with R29

Gawker was fun because Twitter wasn't a thing yet,

But as several of you have mentioned, they very quickly went from taking down major media types who already had enough money and fame for it to not matter, to taking down anyone who happened to wind up in their cross-hairs. It made them seem petty and nasty and pretty much evil, like the pigs in Animal House.

I suspect that they will wind up getting "cancelled" very quickly. In all senses of the word.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 6:33 PM

Gawker was just like SNL skits. The articles went on WAY too long. Sure, there was some great snark, but I guess these guys got paid for every word they wrote. And boy, did they like to write and write.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 6:55 PM

I only want Gawker back if they can be honest about trans lunacy. I don't want people like Jude Doyle or Harron Walker and their ilk.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 8:20 PM

I would read it if they bring Gawker Stalker back.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 8:34 PM

Caity Weaver was always great fun to read.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 8:53 PM

R28 I loved Richard's take on the Baroness.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 11:44 PM

R34 they will be required to have at least three trans or nonbinaries on staff

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 11:44 PM

Finally! It's here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2021 5:48 PM

This might be good. So far I haven’t seen any overt wokeness or lectures. When I have more time, I’ll dip more than a toe in.

Pleasepleaseplease don’t suck, New Gawker.

Can I resume using my old account to comment?

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2021 5:58 PM

I'm just going to use it to talk about all the dick I get and how everyone wants to fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2021 6:01 PM

The site design sucks, but that’s just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2021 6:03 PM

OMG!! REJOICE!!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2021 6:03 PM

I agree that the design takes away from the headlines. It’s just distracting really. Odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2021 6:41 PM

I hate the design. It's unpleasant to navigate.

Also, the articles and overall vibe is too "girly" for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2021 6:46 PM

Oh, great Allie Jones is back.

I guess we can get the remaining 500 Days of Kristen.

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2021 6:56 PM

I actually like the design - it's retro but also the headlines are less like Buzzfeed and more interesting.

Glad they aren't just following the trends.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2021 6:56 PM

We need more media in the U.S. everything has been shrunk to 5 top stories and that is all that gets covered for the day.

We need variety. Citizen journalism. A return to basics; The 5 W’s

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2021 7:00 PM

YASSSSS!! Honey YASSSSS!

Ohhhh, I already spot a treasure : WERE YOU A PLEASURE TO HAVE IN CLASS?

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2021 7:06 PM

I'm supportive that it's back, but I also hate that web design.

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2021 7:08 PM

It’s giving me Spy Magazine vibes. I don’t want to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2021 7:08 PM

I really like that it’s back. Gawker brought a lot of accountability to media figures, which has been missing since it went away

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2021 7:10 PM

Will they discuss hedge funds? Who owns bumble?

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2021 7:12 PM

R52 I'm guessing you don't have a Twitter account.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2021 7:14 PM

The web design is very "Swanky 2008 Blog." I'm sure they did it on purpose but I don't think we're far enough out from the blog years for them to be retro/nostalgic yet.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2021 7:16 PM

Keeping my eye out for self-righteous scolding articles that has gotten way too frequent on Gawker before it was shut down.

by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2021 7:18 PM

I'm not sure Gawker was really "bringing accountability" to anyone; it started as a gossip site about the NYC publishing industry written by 20/30-something those who couldn't land cushy jobs in said industry but so desperately wanted the money and social opportunities such jobs provided. If you were also a striver in the art/media worlds of Manhattan at the same time (mid-to-late 2000s), before Facebook expanded beyond select college campuses, then Gawker's snarky irreverence was entertaining. But of course to become profitable the site could not remain an insidery gossip blog forever, and once coverage went from local to national Gawker became indistinct from any other collection of disaffected assholes on the internet. Moreover, the halcyon days of André Leon Talley-sized expense accounts and mediocre writers like Elle's E. Jean Carroll making six figures for dashing off a dumb column once a month, the initial objects of Gawker's satire/jealousy, are long gone. The NYT weddings section, for example, doesn't have the same kind of cachet it once did since now everybody and their ugly lesbian aunt is given an extensive "Vows" column, so making fun of it (as Gawker did with the weekly "Altarcations" feature) now falls flat. The entire snarky tenor of the original site's humor is now forbidden in public discourse because everybody has to be positive and supportive or fear the wrath of social media sanctimony.

by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2021 7:31 PM

What is gawker?

by Anonymousreply 58July 28, 2021 7:32 PM

I was really excited at the news, but the layout of the new site and the article titles really makes it look like they're resurrecting MAD Magazine, not Gawker.

by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2021 10:06 PM

Ok I’m back and I want to correct my previous criticism upthread about the layout.

After you use it for a while, it’s actually pretty slick and intuitive. It takes a minute though.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2021 10:59 PM

I really hope they do some groundbreaking stuff, albeit responsibly. It can be done.

I would love to see them go balls out and go after the big guns and their shenanigans.

Some possible topics:

Silicon Valley

The crazy Republican wackos

PETER THEIL!

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2021 11:03 PM

yasss

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2021 11:04 PM

20/30 year olds are very different today. The pool for writers is not there.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2021 11:17 PM

Maybe they can hire a serious journalist like Perez Hilton to doodle jizz on all the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2021 11:20 PM

No way PH is hideous and is uncomfortable to look at. His face is just so horrifying and the evil just oozes out of him. Can’t stand to even be on the same internet as that nasty creature.

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2021 11:40 PM

Fuck, YEAH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2021 11:45 PM

A lot of the writers they hired are slightly left of woke twitter women and a couple of gay "comedians." This is gonna be total shit, my god.

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2021 5:11 AM

I loved gawker so much in its early days. It felt relevant and honest in its snark and it was refreshing to see ‘powerful’ people taken down. The internet now is far too easily manipulated by pr and other interested parties. There won’t ever be a real new gawker because there isn’t any money in anything besides bootlicking these days.

That unnecessary’letter from the editor’ in this new version is just overwritten, pretentious, and smug. I’m disappointed. Bustle has always sucked so I suppose it’s no surprise that this does too.

by Anonymousreply 68July 29, 2021 6:04 AM

Very good news!

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2021 6:17 AM

I met my dream man on gawker meet

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2021 12:09 PM

gawker also quoted me a couple times from the DL

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2021 12:10 PM

Thank fucking god.

by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2021 12:50 PM

Is Tracie Morrissey going to write for the new Gawker? I'd like to get hyped up as I loved early Gawker, but I fear it will be "Gawker" in name only w/o the snarky fun.

by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2021 1:00 PM

Gawker?

How… quaint.

by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote] The internet now is far too easily manipulated by pr and other interested parties.

r68, I 100% agree. Even early TMZ was fun (but not as fun as Gawker). Then it all became coopted by pr agencies and sponsors. The early writers at Gawker were so funny and really quite daring. The later stuff was shrill and unfocused. Jezebel was always insufferable, except for the times when Daulerio guest-edited. He was still at Deadspin at that point.

Today the only thing that's in the ballpark is the Daily Mail, which is ironic because it's basically a mouthpiece for pr and advertising. However, they do know how to do tongue in cheek humor, and that is why they are reposted here so often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2021 2:20 AM

R73 I used to read One D at a Time. Tracie did not hold back any details, that is for certain

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2021 4:05 AM

If they stick to criticism of elite media, politicians and corporate CEO types, new gawker might be useful. But if they regress back to attacking random people with no real influence or power then they are no better than YouTube or Twitter. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2021 5:19 AM

If they quote the DL they are DIVINE

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2021 1:02 PM

“74%, of the cases occurred in fully vaccinated people who had completed a two-dose course of the mRNA vaccines or received a single shot of Johnson & Johnson's.”

I wonder how many were J&J

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2021 5:57 AM

“Overall, 274 vaccinated patients with a breakthrough infection were symptomatic, according to the CDC. The most common side effects were cough, headache, sore throat, muscle pain and fever. Among five Covid patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated, according to the agency. No deaths were reported.”

by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2021 5:58 AM

Some of the posts are interesting but dealing with the format is hard work.

by Anonymousreply 81July 31, 2021 8:13 AM

Gawker is coming back and patients are getting sore throats

by Anonymousreply 82July 31, 2021 1:05 PM

Now the formatting seems to have reversed?

Are new stories at the top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 83July 31, 2021 6:39 PM

tops will get sore throats, bottoms will get gawker

by Anonymousreply 84July 31, 2021 10:18 PM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2021 4:59 PM

Well, well, well!

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2021 2:06 AM

Does anyone remember that Rich Z. column that was basically about his crush/obsession with his straight roommate/editor dudebro AJ - it was so pathetic that many commenters thought it was bad satire and Nick Denton even showed up in the comments wondering WTF was going on. It actually made me feel sorry for him and shed new light on his constant need to humblebrag about his sex life. Is he still writing the same tales over and over again Jez?

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2021 2:59 AM

WTF indeed

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2021 12:35 PM

I hate, hate, hate the format. I can't see a way to see the posts in chronological order beyond the six in the "The Latest" section. Very difficult to see what is a new post and what is an old one. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2021 2:37 PM

time to slap some faces

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2021 3:25 PM

Gawker is never coming back. You need only glance passingly at the current site to see that. The “writing” is terrible. Their sister sites like Inverse are embarrassing, amateurish, and unreadable.

Maybe Choire Sicha can emerge from his firing and exile from the Times and try to restart it. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 91August 3, 2021 12:55 PM

Sicha landed at New York Magazine shortly after departing the NYT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 3, 2021 2:47 PM

No comments? I lost 85% of my interest right there.

by Anonymousreply 93August 4, 2021 12:38 AM

I lost all interest after the new release

by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2021 12:59 AM

I just know it's only a matter of time until they start forcing trans nonsense down our throats. I wonder if Rich J. likes trans man pussy? Just kidding, he'd die before he got with a female.

Maybe nu Gawker can hire some hot AGPs to bring what Tracie Egan Morrissey used to do.

by Anonymousreply 95August 9, 2021 1:54 AM

So the content is probably much the same as before (though I find the ratio of glib cutesyness vs incisive snark in Gawker 2.0 to be a bit off so far), but I think the layout is just an absolute disaster.

Gawker has always been a bit obtuse in their headlines, but at least with the old blog style format, you could glance at the first few lines of each post and quickly pick up what the article was actually about before. Now I feel like I have to spend the first paragraph or two figuring out whether the subject interests me, and by then I’ve nearly read the whole thing. And the lack of commentariat could just be the death blow

by Anonymousreply 96August 11, 2021 4:04 AM

I want Tumblr back.

by Anonymousreply 97August 11, 2021 4:18 AM

New York magazine has been dead for years R92.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2021 3:29 AM

New York magazine is a very well-respected magazine.

by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2021 4:28 PM

New York magazine's various verticals get incredible amounts of web traffic.

by Anonymousreply 100August 12, 2021 8:49 PM

r98, my point was only that he has a job, so he isn't desperate enough to come crawling back to Gawker like r91 suggested. It had nothing to do with the merits of New York Magazine (which, love or hate, I have to believe is significantly more prestigious than Gawker 2.0.)

by Anonymousreply 101August 13, 2021 12:13 AM

Ok, I checked it out. Won't go back. Articles, even the headlines, are too snarky for my taste. That snark shows a certain arrogance that is unwarranted. The whole approach is pretty much: 'This is why we look down on other people.' Datalounge has its share of snarky negative bitches. But here at least this is compensated by others who stay positive and constructive. And even the bitches here are at least funny. Gawker is just acid, no other flavor. Don't need this right now. Wishing them well in their future endeavors.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2021 11:12 PM

You never step into the same river require. Dent needs to do something different. I liked him. I liked Gawker. It's fall is the main reason I am here.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2021 11:53 PM

How many have checked it out yet?

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2021 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!