Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL travelers: anyone been to Belfast, Northern Ireland?

If so when did you go? What was your impression? What is there to do? How does it compare to Dublin?

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 1:13 PM

I went in 2005, so my opinion may not be valid, but I like to bump my gums so I'll give it anyway. I went to Dublin and Belfast. I thought Belfast was fascinating. It, at least in 2005, was a whole different experience than Dublin. Dublin felt like a European city. In Belfast, The Troubles were apparent just about everywhere. The time I enjoyed most was actually in the countryside.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 11:11 PM

It’s a blast! A killer time. Someone is always thinking about their neighbour.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 11:16 PM

R1 of course your experience any valid. It's interesting to read about a city in any year particularly if it's changed over time

Did you go to both the pro-English and pro-Irish parts of Belfast? If so did you prefer 1 side?

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 11:18 PM

I went there in 2015. The train ride from Dublin is beautiful. It has different architecture and signage than the South so it feels like a different country despite the lack of border controls. Visit the Titanic museum and St George's Market. Read about Northern Ireland before you visit so you don't say anything stupid or offensive.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 11:27 PM

Everyone's on the dole

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 11:31 PM

I visited Belfast a few years ago, and I was surprised that the areas where the sectarian troubles happen is really rather small, and they look like shitholes. The rest of the city centre was fine. It’s an interesting city, but not beautiful.

The countryside just outside the city is stunning, however., and there are lots of pretty villages and bustling towns. I get the impression that Belfast itself (possibly due to the Troubles) has never undergone the gentrification of other post-industrial British cities, and that a lot of people move out when they make cash.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 11:40 PM

The city itself is probably only good for about two days of site-seeing, but there are many beautiful places along the coast. Also, make sure you do a troubles walking tour. Best time to go is in July, so you can experience marching season. Best to be in town on the 12th, for bondfire night.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 12:56 PM

If you do go feel free to hit me up and I’ll buy you a drink.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 12:57 PM

Belfast, Belfast....

Got to have a belief in

Got to have a belief in

Got to have a belief in

All the people cause the people are leavin'

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 1:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!