Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Discerning DLers, are flavor profiles just marketing nonsense?

Let me start by saying I do not have a distinguished palate. I saw a flavor profile on a whisky brand that said it had notes of 'sponge cake' and I just thought, Why?

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 9:57 PM

Slowdown.

Smell, think about what are smelling. Taste, think about what you are tasting. Taste it again, and see if it matches up to what you remember.

Over time you can train your palate to get better at identifying ingredients. It helps if you cook more and learn to identify what different ingredients taste like before they all get combined together in a dish.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 8:48 PM

But fucking sponge cake? That's more a tactile experience in the way it both resists and accommodates a knife or a fork, an olfactory experience, a visual experience of the golden sponge, an olfactory experience of a buttery open celled cake. But taste? Not so much: buttery would sum it up best.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 9:00 PM

Going to have to go with OP on this one. Sponge cake is like tofu, built to absorb other flavours. There is a dumb (male or female) sales-slash-marketing cunt behind that description.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 9:40 PM

Like “buttery” Chardonnay. I don’t particularly want my wine tasting like a dairy product.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 9:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!