Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How To Get Out Of A Crisis?

I currently deal with so many issues that bother me and that will simply not vanish. I do not want to whine though.

How to avoid having to commit suicide? I do not think I will be able to. I live with my thoughts, body and whole being for 24/7 and it just seems so impossible to shed it voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2021 11:31 PM

I think you need to call a suicide prevention hotline immediately. Then ask them for a referral to a qualified therapist.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 7:53 PM

R1 I won't commit suicide right now. I do not have the means and I am afraid of a possible aftermath. And I just cannot do this to my mother.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 7:55 PM

Get help!

You are dealing with two issues at the same time: your problems and your emotional and cognitive response to these problems. Together, they seem overwhelming to you right now, but if you can learn to get your response under control, the problems will seem much less insurmountable.

Always remember: your negative emotions will pass! Even people with difficult bodily restrictions have learnt to live fulfilling and happy lives.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 7:56 PM

Are they issues you can seek some sort of resolution for? It sounds like you are dealing with extreme anxiety and depression and need medication.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 7:57 PM

Make the call, OP. There is help close at hand.

In the meantime, get out of the house and into the sunlight. Take off your shoes and walk on grass or beach sand, whatever is near.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 8:36 PM

I wrote to my therapist, but she is unable to take me on.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 8:38 PM

Good for you for turning to the professionals here at DL. We certainly have experience diagnosing and fixing fucked-up people.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Take a breather and meditate. Then, with a clear head putting some distance between you and your problems, start to prioritize. What problems do you have, and who can assist to solve them? Obviously you should start small and work your way up to the bigger problems.

Get yourself energized any way you can during these trying times. After you solved some smaller problems the sense of accomplishment and victory should keep your spirits up and motivated to go for more challenging problems. Overall be proud of yourself for being proactive instead of doing nothing and watch your problems grow bigger and become more frightening.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2021 8:58 PM

OP, do you feel like you're not in control of your life and what's happening around you? List all the things causing headache and go through them one by one imagining what you'd like to happen with them and HOW to resolve them. If there are things you can do nothing about then there's no need to worry about them, and yes I realize it's easier said than done.

I've personally struggled with depression all my adult life but I was well into my 40s until I decided to truly do something about it. I've been in therapy now for 3 years and although I can't say it's been the best thing ever it has still worked, although tbh it's probably Wellbutrin that's made the biggest difference. I was on citalopram for a few years before that but although it did help with depression it dulled my life in ways I didn't really like. Since I've always had ADHD symptoms a psychiatrist decided to go with Wellbutrin, and I'm so glad she did.

Last fall my father found out he's got a liver cancer. Since my parents are over 80 I've already lived with them for years helping with everything. At the same time I've tried to start a career in arts but it went really nowhere. When the cancer diagnosis came I immediately realized I had to get money for the family and so I did something I thought I'd try to avoid until the bitter end: I went to work in a factory. It's a stupid low-income job but it's the best I could do since we need the money to pay off my dad's bills to save our parents' house where I grew up. But most of all it means I took control of my own life finally. My father passed away a few months ago and now I'm living with my mother who's got Alzheimer's. I don't see myself having a bright future I once dreamed of, and I very possibly will never find love again but still I'm happy with what I've got. BTW, my father dying was the first time I've ever lost a truly close person in my life. It was a huge thing and at the same it all felt very natural. It put things in perspective. I mean can there really be anything more horrid than losing the ones you love?

So OP, life can be shitty but when you take control of the situation you gain power to be the master of your own life and destiny, at least to a point. My therapist is using cognitive behavioral therapy with me and one exercise was to create a goal map where I listed where I wanted to be in a year. I printed it and attached it to wall next to my bed, where I see it everytime I go to bed and everytime I wake up. I've used Brian Mayne's goal mapping template. I actually even bought Mayne's book to understand it a little better although to be fair you can find the info for free online easily. When you repeatedly tell yoursell what will happen you start believing it yourself more and more, until it becomes reality, or you get other chances in your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2021 10:16 PM

You can do therapy by texting.

It's affordable and has helped people I know.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 10:27 PM

Hey, GermanGayGuy, r6,

I’ve always liked you. I hope you’ll stick around.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 11:09 PM

I am so glad that I read this this afternoon - I am crying so hard I have ugly face. My mother is racing into Alzheimer's - we have no other family - just us. I came home to take care of her - she doesn't have a house or property or savings and has bills at a million small loan = predatory loan places. She was successful selling real estate for years.and thinks she just has to sell a quick house - maybe 5 years ago - not now. My savings are rapidly depleting = she is chaotic = I need time and so privacy to work and put things together. I have really lost myself - this is not the life I planned but all of the chaos is making it difficult to pivot. It is so hard to change myself when I am with someone who won't change.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 11:53 PM

Suicide is so impractical. No good way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2021 2:19 AM

Use this method OP =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2021 2:29 AM

I wish I knew OP. Sometimes I find when things are really bad, to give it a couple days for a better outlook. Usually, things will look up, but then night comes and I am alone in my thoughts again.

The only reason I won't kill myself is because I would probably fuck it up and make things worse.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2021 2:37 AM

There are plenty of free online affirmations that will help calm you down

& redirect your brain if you follow their instructions correctly =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2021 1:24 PM

Money mindset =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2021 1:26 PM

Reducing stress =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2021 1:27 PM

Negative reactions =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2021 1:28 PM

Infinite Waters (Diving Deep) also has some advice videos =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2021 1:30 PM

The "Meditative Mind" website might help you out in certain areas =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2021 1:31 PM

R21 I like that video

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2021 11:28 PM

This series is very good for relaxation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2021 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!