Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is making generalizations about people always wrong?

I recently got into an argument (well, we changed the subject before it became a true argument) on the topic of making generalizations about groups of people. In this case, it was more about a specific group of people, and it ended with my friend saying in a huff, "I don't naturally generalize about people."

For the background: I am adopted and I have known a number of adopted people across my life (including a non-biological sibling). Every single adopted person I've known in my life has struggled with relationships as an adult -- including me -- and many have different forms of mental illness and/or addiction. I kind of mentioned this in passing to my friend, and followed it up with, "I would -- even as an adopted person -- be very cautious about entering a serious relationship with someone who was also adopted."

My friend took great exception to this. He said, "You shouldn't generalize about adopted people like that."

I think it irritated me because 1) I have intimate, firsthand knowledge and experience about what it's like to be adopted and how it affects one throughout a lifetime, information that he does not, and 2) I think sometimes generalizations can be useful when dealing with people.

(As an aside, my friend is someone who is very concerned about doing things the right way, and I think he feels "Generalizations are bad, and I don't want to be bad, so I won't naturally generalize.")

What are your thoughts, DL?

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2021 4:47 PM

Sweeping generalizations, like conspiracy theories, have a kernel of truth, yet are both harmful when used as a truth base.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 7:40 PM

Only the Sith deal in absolutes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote]Is making generalizations about people always wrong?

Not at all.

Deplorable Trump supporters are shitty people. Doesn't matter where they come from...call them assholes and you will [bold]always[/bold] be right.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 7:49 PM

I meant generalizations about groups of people r1

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 8:12 PM

R2 oh, not all, my dear boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 8:55 PM

Bumping my own thread ... anyone else have thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2021 1:14 PM

I think that we need generalisations to get by in the world, as it would just take too long to get every individual's full story, with their psychological history and motives, etc. However, our generalisations should allow room for individuals to deviate from them, especially individuals with whom we are dealing.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2021 1:20 PM

I, not adopted btw, have some observation too (met quite some of diverse generations/nationalities and with various degrees of success/failure; read/watched/researched extensively). I think it's useful to know the detailed information about certain groups, even including generalisations which sometimes stem from statistics or lived experience.

It's especially important if someone thinks he/she loves an adopted person enough to go into a serious relationship. Knowing negative details and willing to fully accept and better help with greater knowledge in case such symptoms/situations arise, I think, better prepare the couple's healthy, stable, successful relationship rather than someone with willful blind ignorance out of idealism who panic and desert the lover/relationship in case of never-predicted hardships overwhelming him/her.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2021 1:50 PM

I agree with your friend.

Are you looking for someone to justify making generalizations about people?

[quote]1) I have intimate, firsthand knowledge and experience about what it's like to be adopted and how it affects one throughout a lifetime, information that he does not, and 2) I think sometimes generalizations can be useful when dealing with people.

I have intimate, firsthand knowledge and experience about what it’s like to be biracial and how it affects one throughout a lifetime but would never project my experience or feelings on to others.

[quote]I kind of mentioned this in passing to my friend, and followed it up with, "I would -- even as an adopted person -- be very cautious about entering a serious relationship with someone who was also adopted."

This isn’t making a generalization, it’s making a judgement and stereotyping a specific group.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2021 2:09 PM

Of course generalizations are useful and often right. It doesn't mean always right.. There are a lot of patterns that govern societies or physical phenomena. And our brains are very good at picking up those patterns. A pattern can typically be ruling 95% of a phenomenon, so it's really a good idea to identify them if we want to make sense of the world around us. It doesn't mean there aren't exceptions (5%).

For instance, most serial killers are male. This is backed by statistics. Would you willfully ignore that fact if you were to investigate a serial killer? Of course not. But it's statistics, so you need to be open to the idea that maybe the killer is a female. It's just unlikely.

Where it becomes dangerous is when people make sweeping generalizations to advance an agenda. What's equally dangerous is people saying generalizations are bad to silence others. The world runs on patterns, and some of them are disturbing truths (see serial killer genders). We need to accept all truths, whether it makes us comfortable or not.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2021 2:36 PM

R10 here. Let me add that starting to generalize from an intuition is not inherently bad, provided you accept the idea that you could be entirely wrong. Better is to look at data.

Your friend might have disagreed with you because they have seen some counter examples. Or maybe they wanted to sound nuanced. Or maybe they just wanted to piss you off.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2021 2:44 PM

A little off topic. I grew up with a friend who was adopted. He was always a great athlete and it was just a side fact in HS. He also played the dumb jock in our little group.

Then he knocked up his first wife at 18 in college. Joined the army, came back and became a cop. Ended up going to Virginia law school and is a very successful attorney. Last time we talked, he was back in school getting his accounting degree.

I was thinking about him while reading OPs post and it seems obvious now that he never feels comfortable in a role and is constantly changing it up. Could that be a reaction to the adoption. I think he was adopted between 8 and 10?

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2021 2:46 PM

Generalizations = stereotypes = prejudice = bias = bigotry

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2021 2:47 PM

R10, the serial killer example is backed by statistics; it IS true. But that’s not the kind of generalization OP is talking about. Intuiting something based on an experience or two can be very valuable, or it can be pure projection. Really, a generalization is only as insightful as the person making it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2021 2:47 PM

You can't always judge a book by its cover, but sometimes you can.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2021 2:48 PM

I’m going to generalize and say yes.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2021 2:48 PM

It not just that the vast majority of serial killers are men. It’s that the vast majority of violent crimes including murders of all kinds are committed by men.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2021 2:54 PM

All conversation is generalization.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2021 3:05 PM

There is a HUGE body of literature that states adopted people suffer from mental illnesses, addictions, personality disorders, etc etc etc, at higher rates than non-adopted people.

My generalizations are not solely "intuition."

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2021 3:52 PM

There is a difference between saying

Saying “[bold]some people[/some] in a group are prone to exhibiting a specific set of characteristics” is describing similarities that can change with new information, saying “[bold]people[/bold] in the group exhibit a specific set of characteristics” is making a fixed judgement.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2021 4:24 PM

Sorry about the formatting ^

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2021 4:24 PM

Generalization is what makes thinking fun. Stating the exception and the anecdotal is banal.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2021 4:33 PM

SO the paid OP is playing with words about "generalization" being "always wrong."

How subtle.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2021 4:37 PM

Always go with your gut instinct. If everyone did this, Jim Jones couldn't have murdered hundreds of people. If something feels wrong, it probably is.

As far as human beings, all races and creeds have damaged people. And asswipes.

As far as adopted people, it probably boils down to how healthy or abusive the upbringing was.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote]SO the paid OP

I wish!

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2021 4:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!