Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Protestants drink so much?

I need to understand

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2021 12:58 PM

It's a myth created by Jackie Mason.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 6:41 PM

The Irish, Russians, Poles and Italians are laughing at OP from under the table.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 6:46 PM

Older people drank more. I’m Irish catholic on one side and Irish Protestant on the other. Both sides were alcoholic but the protestants were functioning alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 6:51 PM

R3 Same here.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 6:54 PM

Protestant women did try to ban alcohol in The US because drinking was such a huge problem amongst their husbands in the early 20th century. The Prohibition was a colossal failure though. Even today, there are still dry counties/cities throughout the South and Midwest (and Utah).

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 6:58 PM

What are Russians? Atheist right? Other than them , I’d say Irish, English, Scottish are the biggest drinkers - which is Catholic as much as Protestant.

Italians aren’t big drinkers. Jews seem to drink the least - except for the Mormons but that’s more because of religious doctrine than a seeming natural inclination.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] What are Russians? Atheist right?

R6 is rather uninformed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2021 7:06 PM

Methodists. Always the Methodists.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2021 7:09 PM

R8

When I was a kid and went to Methodist church, booze of any kind was forbidden. When did that change?

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]What are Russians? Atheist right?

Catholic. Russian orthodox is basically Catholic. Greek orthodox is Catholic. They act like Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 7:34 PM

For the same reasons as everyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 8:00 PM

I'm Episcopalian wherever their are four of us you'll find a fifth

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 8:22 PM

To forget they aren’t—*hic—human, OP. God love them, though they—*hic*—don’t love Him.

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2021 8:36 PM

I’m easy when I drink

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 8:38 PM

A common joke growing up in the South centered on Baptists supposedly not drinking. An example:

“What is the difference between the Baptists and the Methodists?”

“The Methodists will speak to you the liquor store.”

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2021 8:41 PM

"I’m easy when I drink "

Oh, honey, drinking has nothing to do with it

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2021 8:45 PM

The biggest racket in drinking is to say, ”but, look at them over there, can you believe it?”

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2021 8:46 PM

R15 baby, it’s spelled, ‘licka stow’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2021 8:48 PM

N / E Europeans (all the non Mediterranean, non Catholic places basically) appear to have a relative predisposition to alcohol. 1000 years ago, those places knew how to make alcohol from grapes, grape skins, apples, potatoes, honey etc. Even today, the per capita consumption of alcohol in Sweden, Czechia or Ukraine is about 200 the amount of a Lebanon or Egypt. I doubt you'd find such discrepancies among any countries for milk, egg or tea consumption.

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2021 10:12 PM

R10 WTF? Greeks and Russians are Orthodox. Easter is usually on a different day than the Western churches and the Russians celebrate Christmas in January! They don't follow the Pope, have a bunch of different saints(Prince Phillips's aunt was a Russian Orthodox saint) and are more conservative than Roman Catholics. That being said The Russians drink like The Irish and Greeks drink like Italians!

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2021 10:25 PM

Not Baptists

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2021 10:26 PM

R19 Duh... Lebanon and Egypt are primarily Muslim countries.... alcohol is forbidden by Islam.

I think in most mid-American constructs of the past 150 years (or even earlier if you want to go the Puritan route) the commonplace idea is that Roman Catholics drink, get drunk got to confession and etc. while Protestants struggle with personal holiness and do not drink (except when they do)

Paddy McIrish in the paddy wagon 'cause he's drunk again. Daniel Thinlips going to Wednesday evening prayer meeting sober as a church mouse.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2021 10:34 PM

Conservative Protestants are very anti alcohol, which is why some places in the South still are dry and ban alcohol sales on Sundays

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2021 10:44 PM

We DON’T drink

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2021 10:52 PM

I mentioned those two countries specifically because I believe alcohol is legal. Just not that popular.

Definitely chicken /egg discussion, but as thought exercise, consider how it was possible to successfully ban alcohol in Islamic countries. Not so successful when attempted in US or N Europe.

Mediterranean Europeans drink too.... just tend to binge and drink less overall.

Middle Eastern people love their MJ/opium on the other hand.... to put it yet another way, fewer Middle Eastern people have a bad reaction to MJ than random Swedish person. Random Swedish person is more likely to really enjoy the hell out of getting drunk at 16 than average Lebanese guy. Etc etc

Cheers

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2021 11:14 PM

OP The Northern Irish Protestants hardly drink. They have temperance meetings. The devil's brew , they call it.

If they had the odd drink, it might unwind the uptight, po-faced gits.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2021 11:18 PM

Northern Irish Protestants don't play cards either.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2021 11:21 PM

Many Protestants believe drinking alcohol is sin or inconsistent with Christian conduct

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2021 11:23 PM

I was raised Protestant Reformed and booze and cards were of the devil. Of course I ended up smoking, drinking, and gambling anyway....

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2021 11:31 PM

No drinking. No gambling. No adultery.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 12:00 AM

The Whiskey-palians just make it seem that we're all drunks

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 1:35 AM

R27 You mean Ulster Scottish Presbyterians.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 2:37 AM

[quote] Italians aren’t big drinkers.

Italians drink a shit ton of wine -- they just talk and eat so god-damn much at the same time, it burns off any effects of alcohol before they even happen.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 2:45 AM

R33 that's why most Italians are fat by 30.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 2:55 AM

R34, all the talking and fucking burns off some of those calories though

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 2:57 AM

R35 the fucking tapers off in the late 20s; marriage, kids, money, job etc. Then they get fat.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 2:59 AM

I believe there is a genetic basic for alcohol consumption. Oddly, certain variations of cancer genes seem to be related as well - with people who drink more actually getting less cases of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 3:05 AM

As a WASP I report that I drink a lot, it has always been a part of my family and my husband's family. We are Episcopalians. The drinking reputation is accurate for a fair few Episcopalians as far as I can tell. I understand that Calvinists, Presbyterians, Wesleyans etc don't drink much as a rule.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] I believe there is a genetic basic for alcohol consumption.

Cultural behavior ties into it, too, I think. For cultures where drinking wine is a normal, social, family activity -- and where kids learn how to sip a glass of wine at dinner -- binge-drinking is less of a problem.

In more repressed cultures, where kids can only drink on the sly with friends, it creates a culture of binge-drinking, hard alcohol, hiding and guilt, etc.

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 3:13 AM

R32 sorry about that😳.

Tell me, are you aware of unionists quietly leaving Northern Ireland for a new life in Britain? A UK pal told me his estate agent had remarked on the increase in NI people buying homes there.

by Anonymousreply 40April 12, 2021 3:18 AM

God, the misinformation on this thread:

- Italians aren't big drinkers. But the Irish and Poles (who are Catholic) are.

- The English and Scots are Protestant. Catholics are a tiny, tiny minority. Germans, on the other hand, are as much Catholic as they are Protestant.

-Russians are not atheist ( or Catholic). They're Orthodox. As are Greeks, Ukrainians, Egyptian Copts and Ethiopian Christians. And yes, Russians will drink the whole world under the table.

by Anonymousreply 41April 12, 2021 3:36 AM

Stale & dated stereotypes aplenty

by Anonymousreply 42April 12, 2021 7:43 AM

R41 Italians drink but in a totally different and much healthier way - it goes back to what r39 was saying. They drink socially, mainly with meals, and let their children have some wine with dinner because it’s part of their culture - as opposed to the strict way certain Northern Eur WASPs and Catholics are which leads t sneaking around and binge drinking. Mediterranean cultures are more permissive but it’s almost always moderate drinking at the end of the day.

I know Jews have a reputation for not drinking much but I don’t know how much of that is still true. I’m guessing the ones that went to WASPy schools and maybe broke into some of the historically WASPier clubs have assimilated into their culture quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 9:12 AM

R38 has accurately mapped alcohol consumption (or at the least "approved" alcohol consumption) to theological bases.

Lacking, however, is the newer Christian SUV prosperity gospel churches - called "evangelical", but a subset of evangelical churches. I'd include the Pentecostal churches in this - and my guess is that drinking there is like Catholic drinking - drunk and then repent. Pentecostal especially - great condemnation of "sinful, impure" living - but unmarried pregnancies, drug addiction, adultery, alcoholism at high rates, with the boomerang back to the alter and confession and salvation and witnessing to the saving and redeeming power of Jesus who holds the believer in holiness... until next Friday.

by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2021 3:46 PM

^altar

by Anonymousreply 45April 12, 2021 3:47 PM

Catholic drinking? No prohibitions---not like Mormon drinking where they have no socialization about alcohol and easily become drunks.

Episcopalian drinking is really more ethnic---WASPs with top shelf liquor at weddings and other occasions, espe. the gin.

by Anonymousreply 46April 12, 2021 3:55 PM

Pentecostals overall are strongly anti alcohol

by Anonymousreply 47April 12, 2021 3:59 PM

r22 Catholics wouln't confess drinking alcohol. Nothing whatsoever wrong with drinking in Catholic culture!

by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2021 4:06 PM

R47 Total abstinence - alcohol, tobacco, dancing, card playing, drugs, taking the Lord's name in vain, sex outside of marriage, no divorces - except when they do. High rates of unwed pregnancy, divorce, alcoholism, drug addiction. And driving SUVs.

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2021 4:07 PM

R48 Drinking in moderation, ok. Drunk, beating up the wife and family, getting so drunk you commit adultery, getting arrested... that's when you need forgiveness and 10 Our Fathers.

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2021 4:08 PM

r43 Nothern European Catholocs like who??

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2021 4:10 PM

R51 Well, Poland is on the Baltic Sea, eh? Lithuania is 80% Roman Catholic....

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2021 4:14 PM

R49: Are you living the 1940s or something? Protestant ism is about looking down your nose at other denominations including other Protestant denominations. It's privilege at its worst and the main reason I find Protestantism to be ultimately pretty pointless and snobbish, not to mention devoid of any self-referential humor.

by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2021 4:17 PM

Catholicism certainly views being drunk as a sin, as does the New Testament, which finds it a sin that will exclude the unrepentant from the Kingdom of Heaven

by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2021 4:18 PM

Years ago I was at a family reunion on my moms side of the family. VERY Southern Baptist. Mom being the daughter of the black sheep of the family she was not raised Baptist and had had no contact with her cousins until after my grandfather had died. It was so obvious they were hoping the yankee cousins had beer in the cooler. When the party was over and was just my mom, myself and her cousin & husband, my cousin told my mom “ now that everybody is gone I can break out the bourbon”

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2021 4:36 PM

r54 That's not mainstream Catholic culture whatsoever. The Opus Dei might live it like that. The former pope is on recorrd about his love for Bavarian beer. The New Testament also includes a story about Jesus turning water into wine to keep the party going.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2021 4:39 PM

I'm protestant and I like to drink! Sometimes I drink too much, but most times I don't. I'm fine with it.

Mainstream protestants, unlike Catholics, aren't raised on guilt. We're ok having a few flaws.

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2021 4:44 PM

Has R54 ever met a Catholic? Every priest I knew growing up was a drinker. Hell, I knew a few nuns who loved their beer! I don't know a single Catholic who would consider "drunkenness" In and of itself to be a sin. Chronic drunkenness, or what trouble you get into while being drunk, sure. But tying one on now and then? Just getting drunk sometimes? Hell no that is not a sin. GTFOOH.

This whole thread is weird. Protestants as a group are notorious teetotalers, and as a group is when this comes out the strongest because they are all about acting pious and holier than thou in public. Meanwhile R55 knows what's what. The Simpsons nailed this years ago with "Catholic heaven" and "protestant heaven." Barely remember how they depicted protestant heaven but catholic heaven was a party full of drunk Irish, Italians and Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]What are Russians? Atheist right?

Christ we have some really stupid people here.

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2021 5:09 PM

r58

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2021 6:14 PM

r58

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2021 6:17 PM

You can love Bavarian beer without ever getting drunk on it

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]I’m easy when I drink

Even when it's water, you fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2021 7:07 PM

R17, a friend recently pulled that shit with me. His family and other friends did an intervention, because he gets black out drunk every weekend and wants to fight everyone (despite the fact that he is a pocket gay and no one is afraid of him). He was born in Peru, and when he gets drunk he screams that he will kick everyone’s asses because he is a gangster, lol. This has went on for years. It used to be entertaining, but is now embarrassing. We went out for drinks a few weeks ago, and I got sick. I am not used to drinking like that (martini after martini). Apparently, my name came up at the intervention. He said “Well, X drank so much that he threw up. Maybe he needs an intervention”. He still doesn’t think he has a problem.

by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2021 7:19 PM

I'm Jewish the only wine my parents had in the house- you guessed correctly-

MANISCHEWITZ

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2021 7:28 PM

The cold, dark countries seem to be the ones where there's a bunch of hard-core drinking--i.e Russia, the Nordic countries, Scotland, etc. That, more than religious denomination seems to be the key factor.

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2021 7:40 PM

Catholics don’t go to confession to discuss drinking alcohol. Drinking is not considered a sin in the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote]I'd include the Pentecostal churches in this - and my guess is that drinking there is like Catholic drinking - drunk and then repent.

What is r44 talking about? Catholics don't disapprove of or forbid alcohol, like the majority of Protestant sects do. There's literal wine during mass. There's nothing to repent for if they get drunk because Catholic priests hang out in bars or drink (and smoke) themselves silly with their own parishioners all the time.

From what I've heard, Protestant Evangelicals, Pentecostals, Adventists and others don't allow alcohol at all, even in moderation. It's considered a sin. Same goes for smoking cigarettes. It's Protestant puritanism.

by Anonymousreply 68April 13, 2021 12:14 AM

r44 Many of the best artisanal winemakers, liquor distillers and beer brewers in Europe (and the world), as well as some of the earliest known taste connoisseurs, are Catholic monks (and even nuns). The Catholic Church does not consider alcohol sinful and even encourages it consumption.

by Anonymousreply 69April 13, 2021 12:22 AM

What r44 and others prove is many Americans discuss, judge and project their own issues to Catholics without an even basic understanding of the religion or culture. Nazi Germany was the same with their myths and misinformation about Jews.

by Anonymousreply 70April 13, 2021 12:28 AM

R70 (et.al.) Ahem - the title of the thread is "drink so much"... my point in pointing to execrable behavior that later warrants confession and absolution was the behavior resulting from drunkenness, which is... ahem, a Mortal Sin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 13, 2021 2:21 AM

I grew up hearing that Catholics were the alkies.

by Anonymousreply 72April 13, 2021 3:02 AM

R71 A blog out of Eureka, MO is not reflective of the Vatican's or mainstream Catholicism's position on drinking.

by Anonymousreply 73April 13, 2021 4:02 AM

It’s clear that Catholicism officially considers drunkenness as a sin, as does virtually all of Christianity. To hold otherwise would mean a church doesn’t believe the clear teaching of the New Testament. Drinking alcohol is not the same as being drunk.

by Anonymousreply 74April 13, 2021 12:05 PM

I grew up in the South and alcohol was available everywhere. It was usually restricted on Sunday. But that changed too. You could buy it, but only during restricted hours.

Then I moved to the North. The rules up here were insane. Only special stores could sell it. They were closed on Sunday. Some stores could sell beer but not wine.

Post-pandemic, I guess most states will just jettison all the old rules.

by Anonymousreply 75April 13, 2021 12:23 PM

R75, where in the South? There are still dry counties in parts of The South

by Anonymousreply 76April 13, 2021 12:31 PM

[quote]I'd include the Pentecostal churches in this - and my guess is that drinking there is like Catholic drinking - drunk and then repent.

This is getting ridiculous. How many people need to chime in to say Catholics, as a group and within the church hierarchy, don't disprove of alcohol? I was raised Catholic, and every Catholic I knew growing up served and consumed alcohol at social gatherings. This included not just priests but also some nuns. There was no social or ecclesiastical stigma to consuming alcohol, unless someone was "a drunk" or had "a drinking problem," or they engaged in other behaviors like violence or drunk driving.

Now, are some individual Catholics teetotalers, or harshly judgmental of alcohol use? Of course. But those are personal opinions and not at all the mainstream of the larger Catholic culture. This is a church that still uses actual wine for communion, and a religion that is synonymous with certain cultures that center alcohol consumption, either completely normalized daily wine consumption in the Mediterranean cultures, or drinking culture in places like Ireland and Poland. The idea that alcohol is frowned upon or carries any stigma in and of itself is just ludicrous. NO Catholic ever repented for having a drink once in while or even on a daily basis, unless it was a factor in other behavior. Just stop with this nonsense, you;'re clearly not Catholic if you think this.

by Anonymousreply 77April 13, 2021 2:34 PM

R77 Curious as to why you want to misunderstand what's being said, and "defend" Catholics over this. The question is not about "alcohol", the question is about "drink so much" (please note the title of the thread. What's asserted is that "drunkenness" is condemned by the Church, in fact is a moral sin (except when, as St Thomas Aquinas outlined, there are certain "extenuating" circumstances).

All Christian groups can point to the wedding at Cana (Jesus changed the water to wine) but also to biblical injunctions against getting drunk:

[quote]Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.-Galatians 5:19-21:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 13, 2021 3:34 PM

Why are people here not distinguishing drinking alcohol from drunkenness? The former is acceptable among some Christian churches, the latter not by essentially no Christian church.

by Anonymousreply 79April 13, 2021 3:49 PM

It's funny to hear Eldergays talk about "the Irish" or "the Jews" as if it were still 1963.

News Flash: there's been a whole lot of intermarriage among the European immigrants who arrived here 125 years ago, and their descendants who are under the age of 40 rarely identify with a specific ethnicity and its old country customs the way their grandparents might have.

They're far more likely to more strongly identify with whatever region of the US they are from.

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2021 4:03 PM

When I have been to the UK for work, the Americans, regardless of ethnic or religious background are always taken aback by how much their British colleagues drink.

Both in general and especially at lunch where the Americans are all ordering Cokes because of the caffeine and the Brits are downing pints of lager.

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2021 4:06 PM

R78, I go back to "you're not Catholic if you think Catholics stigmatize alcohol." Period. "Drunkeness" is an extremely arbitrary term, and we. know that just by seeing how all the different sects treat alcohol itself, from total prohibition to sacramental wine and widespread cultural norms that center alcohol.

And citing the Bible in this discussion is really only underscoring that point, lol. Catholics don't take cues from the Bible, that's what Protestants do.

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2021 4:08 PM

The vast majority (if not all) of Protestant sects literally forbid alcohol. So one of Jerry Falwell's jr's main sins was his secret consumption of alcohol while the student body of Liberty University was forbidden from touching alcohol on pain of expulsion.

by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2021 7:36 PM

You haven't been to many country clubs I take it? Mainline, non-evangelical Protestants are OK with drinking. It's the southern fundies who aren't.

by Anonymousreply 84April 13, 2021 8:08 PM

“Mainline Protestants” are a small, declining Portion of modern Protestantism. The term “mainline” is from the 40s/50s, and should be retired when talking about oldline liberal Protestant churches today. Now, Pentecostals are mainline (numerically plentiful) Christians, not Episcopalians.

by Anonymousreply 85April 13, 2021 8:34 PM

[quote]Why are people here not distinguishing drinking alcohol from drunkenness? The former is acceptable among some Christian churches, the latter not by essentially no Christian church.

It is not so. Getting drunk socially and for the pleasure of the taste and buzz is highly acceptable among and for Catholics., as everyone who knows the first thing abot Catholics keeps pointing out. You'll just have to live with that. Violence or drinking away all the money so you're kids aren't cared for are obviously bad things, you would call sins. Getting drunk? Not.

Amweicans can just not believe anyone would not have such a stigma on alcohol. Prossibly American Catholics are like that, but only because they are Americans and therefore influenced by the puritans.

by Anonymousreply 86April 13, 2021 10:38 PM

R85 "Mainline" refers to more than the percentage of a population who adhere to certain beliefs or are members of a church. It's a description of a theological tradition and orthodoxy.

Episcopalians (and Methodists - Wesley, the founder of Methodists was an Anglican all his life) claim to be part of the apostolic tradition (e.g. tracing lineage back to the Apostles). The Nicene Creed is said in "mainline" churches - in which they claim to believe in the one "holy catholic and apostolic church"... some Baptists would cite the Creed, no holy roller would. Too fussy.

Pentecostals and other evangelical denominations are "latter day" sects. Even Baptists (which come in an infinite selection of flavors) are ... questionable, in terms of mainstream, despite John Calvin knocking around (Knoxing around?) in the 16th century.

I love the Roman Catholics insistence on this thread that drunkenness is okey dokey with The Church. Now, let's talk about capital punishment...

by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2021 10:56 PM

R86, Roman Catholic doctrine is universal in the Church, no matter the country. The fact that many people who claim to violate Catholic doctrine and teaching doesn’t change the doctrine. After all, the Church teaches that many who identify as Catholic ultimately will go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 88April 13, 2021 10:58 PM

“Mainline” is rarely cited in modern discussions of Christian beyond as a frame of reference to discuss how the membership and influence of liberal churches has precipitously declined in Christendom.

by Anonymousreply 89April 13, 2021 11:00 PM

r88 Yeah, but not for getting drunk.

by Anonymousreply 90April 13, 2021 11:02 PM

Evangelical Pentecostals are the main Protestant sect now. Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans and Presbyterians are a dying breed.

by Anonymousreply 91April 14, 2021 2:44 PM

True. Global Pentecostal growth is astounding

by Anonymousreply 92April 14, 2021 2:47 PM

R91 We've been through this before.... evangelical and pentecostal churches are growing in Latin America, Asia and Africa (as are Mormons). They are not growing in the US, and in fact are losing membership quickly in those under 30. Study just released this month tracking Christian church membership and attendance in the US is under 40%, a new low. The study points to "disgust" with conservative political activism of the evangelical churches as a contributing factor in the decline.

by Anonymousreply 93April 14, 2021 3:22 PM

Evangelical and Pentecostal churches are more influential in the US than the traditional Protestant churches. They own the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2021 1:38 PM

R94 Historically, Presidents: Episcopalian 11; Presbyterian 9; Baptist 4

Of course, that's history. In this century, the nexus between conservative religious groups and the Republican Party has been significant, certainly. Not just "evangelical" however - the "pro-life" ideology created a power alignment between the Roman Catholic Church and evangelicals - Catholic power and resources have an under-recognized role in what's happened. 6 of the 9 Supreme Court Justices are Catholic. Steve Bannon (and a raft of other Trumpers) were connected to international Christo-Fascism - groups like Opus Dei.

Last, just this week another study was released documenting the negative impact of Evangelical politics on younger Evangelicals - who both have been driven away from the churches and voted more liberally. Biden won, the democrats won the House and the Senate because of the outcome of younger voters AND the activism of Black Evangelical Churches.

by Anonymousreply 95April 15, 2021 2:59 PM

Most Catholics vote Democrat, r95.

by Anonymousreply 96April 16, 2021 11:35 AM

Not anymore. The huge exodus of white Catholics from the Dem coalition should be a bigger story. By attendance 2008-2020 Never: -20 pts. Seldom: -20 pts. Yearly: -15 pts. Monthly: -11 pts. Weekly: -12 pts. Weekly+: -17 pts. No evidence that Biden made any gains among White Catholics

by Anonymousreply 97April 16, 2021 12:22 PM

The ENGLISH drink just as much as the IRISH.

by Anonymousreply 98April 16, 2021 1:19 PM

R96 R97 Exactly, that was my point. The power-structure of the conservative-Christo-fascist movement in this country is more Catholic than is recognized - voting patterns of Catholics in recent elections have not followed the historical "oh those ethnic Catholics are going to vote Democratic..."

by Anonymousreply 99April 16, 2021 4:42 PM

White Catholicism today are more conservative

by Anonymousreply 100April 16, 2021 4:51 PM

Is more

by Anonymousreply 101April 16, 2021 4:51 PM

Why are you trying to separate Catholics by race? Protestants supported Trump 54-41 while Catholics supported Biden 51-44. This includes Black Protestants and Hispanic Catholics who heavily leaned Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 17, 2021 3:34 PM

The Episcopal Church lost a little over 61,000 members in 2020 and saw a decline in worship attendance even before the pandemic lockdowns occurred, according to data released by the denomination.

The Episcopal Church's General Convention posted reports this week on the liberal mainline denomination's 2020 statistics and how they compared to previous years.

Baptized Episcopal Church membership declined from approximately 1.798 million in 2019 to approximately 1.736 million in 2020 — a loss of about 61,760 people.

The total for 2020 is approximately 350,000 less than the 2.096 million members reported in 2011 and is less than half of the 3.6 million members reported in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 103October 9, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote]OP: Why do Protestants drink so much?

Because they keep trying to get their 3.2 Blood of Christ to work.

by Anonymousreply 104October 9, 2021 4:23 PM

The only Protestant sects known for imbibing are Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and Anglicans. The WASPS. Time for martoon-ies, dear. 🍸Or how about a scotch neat?

I am sure there might be others who might drink on the sly.

by Anonymousreply 105October 9, 2021 8:11 PM

Think of it this way: Catholics are permitted to imbibe because they are forbidden from any sex except married sex. You’ve got to allow a little vice here and there. It is also acceptable for Catholics to gamble and dance.

by Anonymousreply 106October 9, 2021 8:16 PM

Their doctor won't write them any good scrips and they can't find a reliable dealer.

by Anonymousreply 107October 9, 2021 8:22 PM

All Christians are forbidden from sex outside of marriage

by Anonymousreply 108October 9, 2021 8:27 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 11, 2021 7:33 AM

[quote] Why do Protestants drink so much?

This is a bizarre question, OP, without a shred of supporting evidence.

It is the Irish Catholics who are the congenital drunks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 11, 2021 7:48 AM

R53

[quote] I find Protestantism to be ultimately pretty pointless and snobbish, not to mention devoid of any self-referential humor.

Religion isn't supposed to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 111October 11, 2021 8:05 AM

Tragic

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2021 12:30 PM

OP must be high.

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2021 12:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!