Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG Melissa McCarthy’s new movie is SPECTACULAR!

“Thunderforce” is now out on Netflix and I just watched this morning. She’s hilarious and the 80s soundtrack is fabulous!! Highly recommend for some comedic relief! The gays will love this film!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 6:56 PM

thanks for the recommendation op. I will probably watch this this afternoon. It got tepid reviews on AVclub and it was going to put off watching it. I love MM, I think she's very funny (Spy!) but can be hit or miss sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 2:41 PM

And I thought I loved the exclamation point...

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 2:42 PM

Is this thread supposed to be a joke? The movie is awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 2:43 PM

R2 - I agree I overused the exclamation point, but this movie is that good.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 2:43 PM

Definitely her best movie yet, and it was previously “Bridesmaids” for me.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 2:48 PM

I love McCarthy and Spencer, but this wasn't a great movie. It's ok, but mainly because of the shenanigans of the big bad, played by Bobby Cannavale, how he dealt with his gang.

McCarthy eating raw chicken breast slices (I sure hope that was fake) was plain bizarre and disgusting. Like frat house toilet humor level of disgusting. The sight gag of Jason Bateman as a villain called The Crab got old fast.

It was a weird mixture of feel good frau entertainment (two estranged friends finding their way back together fighting against a dangerous villain) and the aforementioned dude bro humor. For me, it didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 2:55 PM

I'm going to admit to peak frau, but I often enjoy Melissa McCarthy movies.

Spy was HILARIOUS. Why she didn't make a sequel to it (frankly, it could be a franchise) boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2021 3:21 PM

OP sounds like a PR and the post a job assignment.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2021 3:27 PM

Op is a PR and the post a job assignment.

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2021 3:28 PM

Spy was great. I think I’ll watch it again tonight.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 3:42 PM

So, it’s not one her dramas? I like those best.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 3:49 PM

R11 - Lol her dramas are shit. She’s a comedian only. And a damn good one.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 3:50 PM

[Quote]The gays will love this film!

All gays, some gays, a certain type of gay, 20 gays, or just two gays?

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2021 3:56 PM

Oh, I totally forgot the cute scene with the religious grandmother. That one was nice.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 4:00 PM

Probably just the gay making the original post, R13.

I love both ladies, but I could smell the stink of failure on the clip I saw of this movie on the Graham Norton Show from across the Atlantic Ocean. Life's too short to waste watching crap like this.

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2021 4:03 PM

It doesn’t matter what she does, the chunky black actress costar in this movie (forgive me I can’t remember her name) is amazing. Have loved her since her role in “The Help.” I’ll watch whatever movie she chooses to be a part of.

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2021 4:16 PM

I really liked it. I enjoyed it more than the usual super hero movies. I also really like movies like Mystery Men etc so this is right up my alley

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2021 4:27 PM

R17 - Agree Rescue Chick! We need more female-lead superhero movies! Loved it ❤️

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2021 4:29 PM

It was about friendship not just 'blow shit up/destroy cities'. I liked it, good stuff

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2021 4:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2021 4:33 PM

Melissa McCartney needs to stop making movies with her husband. Their movies they make together are just godawful.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2021 4:38 PM

R20 - the title of that Twitter page is “Cynical Reviews.” Do t believe anything they post. It’s a wonderful movie. Heartwarming, funny, and positive.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2021 4:39 PM

R21 - her husband is a very smart Hollywood producer. If anything, he needs to make MORE movies. He’s one of the good guys.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2021 4:40 PM

This crapfest only gets a 4.3 on IMDB. It's obviously that bad. Thanks, but no thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2021 4:41 PM

I watched it last night. It was meh. The dialog contained a lot of sharp wit and sarcasm, especially with Bateman, but there's something about almost all of Netflix original movies that have that made-for-tv flavor about them where they lack the individual style and quality of cinematic releases.

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2021 4:53 PM

R24 - never trust critic ratings. Superhero movies are especially more critically reviewed. Give it a chance - it is very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Tried to watch. Absolute crap chick film. No gay man is interested in this.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2021 5:13 PM

I haven’t seen this movie, but it’s not like anyone should trust an IMDb rating. A perfect film like La Dolce Vita can only muster an 8.0 while the first Lord of the Rings has an 8.8 and the last two Avengers movies each have 8.4s.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2021 5:56 PM

r23 = Ben Falcone

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2021 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 1:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 1:52 PM

Don't listen to any of the bullshit on here. It was pure escapism and really funny. We really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2021 1:57 PM

R32 must be her publicist.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2021 2:07 PM

Yes R32 I am her publicist. I would come on Datalounge with a total of about a 150 people who post regularly on this site to promote her movie and pretend to be a member. WOO you caught me. Get real Mary.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2021 2:29 PM

r33 if it was p.r. rather than a troll, they'd be blaming gamergate and explaining how the film reveals misogynist racists in the crowd. it's ghostbusters all over again.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2021 2:29 PM

Considering how good she was on Gilmore Girls, seeing her film career consist of being gross and childish is really disappointing.

Even in that film where she was a forger....

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2021 2:40 PM

She does have chemistry with Bateman in the movie. I did like Cannavale running his miscreant gang. Honestly, WW 84 was more painful for me to watch.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2021 2:44 PM

There is a correlation between her crappier movies and the ones directed by her husband, unfortunately.

If only it were the good ones that he directed.

by Anonymousreply 38April 12, 2021 6:27 PM

I liked it. I thought it was cute

by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2021 6:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!