Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mrs. World Gives Up Crown & Speaks Out After Being Arrested for Snatching Tiara Off Mrs. Sri Lanka

Reigning Mrs. World Caroline Jurie announced on Friday that she has given up her crown amid controversy surrounding her behavior at the Mrs. Sri Lanka pageant.

Pushpika De Silva won Mrs. Sri Lanka, but during the crowning ceremony on Sunday, Jurie snatched the tiara off De Silvia's head, claiming De Silva was divorced which is against the pageant's rules. De Silva, however, clarified in a Facebook post that she is separated, not divorced and said she was injured during the incident.

While taking off De Silva's crown she was allegedly injured and Jurie was arrested and released on bail Thursday in relation to the incident.

Jurie discussed the drama in a video post about her decision to step away from the pageant that has been "tainted" by the crowning ceremony.

"I will always stand for what I believe is right," the former title-holder said in a video while wearing her crown and sash. "Every beauty pageant has a set of rules and regulations. What I was pushing for from the beginning was a fair stage. The rules and regulations are equal to all. Rules aren't there so that we can find loopholes so that we can win at any cost. I believe rules and regulations are there for a reason."

She continued, "The Mrs. World pageant was not created to discriminate divorced or separated women but to celebrate the dreams of the married women." Jurie also implied that there are other pageants De Silva could have applied to as a separated woman.

"I know I burst a few bubbles, created conversation and even a discussion about class and values that a queen wearing a crown should stand for," Jurie said. "If class is defined by how one behaves in the eye of the public, I will let you draw your own conclusion on that. But if class is also defined by how you behave when no one is watching you and what values you stand by, that is the true test of character." The former Mrs. World stressed the importance of standing up for "values even if it means to stand alone in the front of disaster."

"My only intention was to stand up for the injustice caused to the competitors throughout this competition which was tainted with heavy politicization," she said.

At the end of the clip, Jurie said, "I am now ready to hand over the crown," before removing the crown from her head.

On Thursday, Jurie along with model Chula Padmendra were arrested on "charges of simple hurt and criminal cause" related to the crowning ceremony incident, police spokesman Ajith Rohana told BBC. Reps of Jurie and Padmendra did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's requests for comment.

They both are expected to appear in court on April 19, according to the Associated Press.

In a video of the crowning ceremony, published by the Colombo Gazette, Jurie told the audience, "There is a rule that you have to be married and not divorced, so I am taking my first steps in saying that the crown goes to the first runner-up."

She then removed the crown from the winner's head and placed it on runner-up, prompting De Silva to walk offstage, the video shows.

De Silva later said she suffered "injuries to my skull" when Jurie "snatched" her crown.

"So, even though that symbolic crown has been snatched from my head, I would like to inform you that I have already taken the necessary legal action for the injustice and insult that has taken place," she wrote in a statement translated from Sinhala.

The chief organizer of Mrs. Sri Lanka pageant, Chandimal Jayasinghe, also condemned Jurie's actions, telling BBC, "We are disappointed. It was a disgrace how Caroline Jurie behaved on the stage and the Mrs. World organisation has already begun an investigation on the matter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]I know I burst a few bubbles, created conversation and even a discussion

No she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2021 10:42 AM

Apparently no one told that bitch that her job was to do as she was instructed. It was not to decide pageant policy, or act as judge, jury, and executioner with any other contestant as she saw fit.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2021 10:51 AM

Old news op.

Give up her crown ? But her reign has ended.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2021 11:01 AM

She gave up her Mrs. World crown but her Mrs. Sri Lanka gig had ended. Is Mrs. World some big deal? This was covered by the BBC as though it was a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2021 11:04 AM

There’s a video where she snatched the winner’s crown. Very dramatic

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2021 11:06 AM

The video was shocking, but I must say I watched it more than once. It's the only "snatch" I have ever wanted to see up close.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2021 11:15 AM

I was surprised the winner didn’t fight back.

Actually separated is as good as not married

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote] Is Mrs. World some big deal?

No, it's not. That's why few people have ever heard of it. Frankly, the days of beauty pageants being a "big deal" are long gone. Even the Miss America pageant has become an event few to no one cares about anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2021 11:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2021 11:51 AM

I love a good CROWN SNATCHING.

But the trannies do it best!

Those bitches are VICIOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2021 11:56 AM

Here's a longer version of the wig snatch at R10.

Boy, there was hatred in her eyes... rofl.

That bitter bitch took off with the crown, like a lighting bolt!

Just watch the gay staffers run after her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2021 12:05 PM

This snatching was even worse!

AGAIN, from Brazil.

And with females.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2021 12:09 PM

R11 Where was this ?

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2021 12:09 PM

R13, both of the snatchings at R11 and R12 were in Brazil.

R11 was at a Trans pageant.

R12 was at an all-female pageant.

And both were vicious!

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2021 12:11 PM

Are all Brazilians this bitchy ?

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2021 12:14 PM

R13, here's the actual video footage from the Trans pageant.

It's even worse watching it live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2021 12:16 PM

And here's the video from the female pageant.

I think the female poor sport loser was much worse than the one at the trans pageant.

The other girls look genuinely shocked and horrified!

Not only that, but the way she grabbed the winner's head and yanked it backwards, could have caused a serious neck injury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2021 12:19 PM

I hope she sued the hell out of the snatcher

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2021 12:21 PM

This will never happen in America

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2021 12:22 PM

“Pushpika” is an excellent name.

For a cat.

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2021 12:25 PM

Pushpika is a punishment of a name.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2021 12:39 PM

That lady at R17 was ready to start throwing some punches!!

She must be from the Favelas.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote]Mrs. World

Better known as Frau World.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2021 12:43 PM

What an outdated requirement for a Mrs. World to not be a divorcee.

Or is there another pageant called MISS World for single ladies and divorcees?

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2021 12:50 PM

Miss World is a pageant for younger women. I think the max age allowed to compete is 24 years old, and you must be single and never married.

Mrs. World is for married women, but you cannot be divorced.

So really, the women who are divorced and separated, are in pageant purgatory.

There's really no place for them in pageantry.

However, Mrs. World might change the rules, after this incident.

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2021 12:55 PM

The whole 'Mrs.' pageant circuit is hilarious. Older married women vying for a crown and a sash. It's sad enough when teens and young women do it, but it's extra pathetic, and funny, when grown women do it.

Does anyone remember a short-lived reality show called 'Game of Crowns?' It was all about Mrs. America pageant contestants in Connecticut, and it was really bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2021 12:57 PM

I loved that show, R26!

These pageants are to Fraus, what football is to straight married guys.

It's a sport.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2021 1:01 PM

Before Game of Crowns I had no idea that pageants for married older women were even a thing. It's too bad that show didn't take off because, judging from this Sri Lanka incident, it could have been franchised all over the world like the Real Housewives were.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2021 1:12 PM

Is there a Widow World?

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2021 1:25 PM

Mrs World runner up was like, hell yeah I’ll take that crown.

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2021 1:51 PM

Queens gone wild.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2021 2:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2021 2:08 PM

lol VanASSa and LeHA

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2021 2:13 PM

Mrs World and Miss World are transphobic and discriminatory towards contestants whose preferred titles are Mx or Mrx.

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2021 2:15 PM

The backstory behind the woman getting her crown snatched at R17 is that she won because her father bought her win. The woman who snatched her crown was pissed off due to the corruption and did it on behalf of all of the other contestants and not just herself. Which is why hardly no-one clapped when the winner was crowned but there was lots of applause for the woman who snatched her crown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2021 3:45 PM

*hardly anyone

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Astonishing film, largely because the winner quietly let that woman remove her crown, and left the stage without a word. She didn't even grab the mike and insist that she's married! Not one bitchslap!

You wouldn't see passivity like that in a tranny pageant!

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Lol R37. Trannies don't play that game.

It isn't dramatic, if there isn't at least a wig or crown snatching!

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2021 6:47 PM

I think the original winner was too media savvy to cause drama while cameras are running.

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2021 6:49 PM

It really is bizarre that older women do this, r26. And by older I mean women over 25. What is it about? Insecurities, need for attention. I can understand teens wanting to do it or maybe college aged women who want to break into the entertainment industry.

When the George Floyd murder occurred, it was reported that Derek Chauvin's wife was on the circuit. I had to snicker.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2021 7:01 PM

"I think the original winner was too media savvy to cause drama while cameras are running."

Ramping up the drama would have been the media-savvy thing to do, I mean the thing's already gone viral and Mrs. Crown-Snatcher is the one getting all the attention! Mrs. Separated could have made a name for herself as well, as the winner who defended her crown!

But as it is, this is the most attention any Mrs. Whatever pageant has ever gained, in the history of the world.

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2021 8:23 PM

"It really is bizarre that older women do this, [R26]. And by older I mean women over 25. What is it about?"

I suspect it's like the child beauty pageant circuit, a shameless money grab playing on people's insecurities.

The child beauty pageant circuit is a good way of shifting money from the pockets of parents to that of the people who run the pageants, they charge fees to the contestants and sell them pink fluffy crap and kiddie makeup and coaching fees, all because the cunt mothers are competitive bitches who want to prove they're better than the other mothers. There's no audience for this shit, all the money generated comes from the parents.

So I speculate that the "Mrs." pageant circuit also has no audience but relatives, and makes its money from the idle rich bitches who want to prove that they're still hotter than the other rich bitches.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2021 8:28 PM

There's still money and prizes to be be won from these adult pageants.

People are willing to do much crazier things for much less money, nowdays.

So these pageants really aren't THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2021 10:29 PM

The most shocking thing about this is that this is the first thread on crown snatching we've had here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2021 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!