Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Men over 40 should not wear shorts

What are your fashion rules?

by Anonymousreply 105April 13, 2021 4:25 AM

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2021 9:31 PM

So you just go online and say stupid things, OP?

Is that what you do?

Just say anything that comes into your mind on Al Gore's internet even if it's completely idiotic?

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2021 9:33 PM

Don't ever listen to the advice of DL eldergays.

That's it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2021 9:33 PM

Not worrying about other people or they’re desperate need to post anything, no matter how stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2021 9:33 PM

THEIR

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2021 9:34 PM

R4 - There's no reason to believe the OP is an eldergay. It could be a young fashionista.

I'm wearing shorts as we speak.

Cargo shorts for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2021 9:36 PM

People who have fashion rules are insecure and fucking boring. And, in general, lacking style.

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2021 9:36 PM

astoundingly stupid, OP

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2021 9:44 PM

While I don't adhere to many fashion "rules" I'd have to admit I don't look very good in shorts any more. I'm well into my 60s and my knees are wrinked and my ankles are shot with some light varicose veining. Don't even look at my feet and toenails!

So I wear shorts but prefer the longest ones I can find that at least cast a shadow over my knees and usually wear those short socks that cover most of my ankles with sneakers. Flip flops are not for going out in public beyond walking the dog.

Don't follow rules but know your limitations and what doesn't flatter you.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2021 9:48 PM

It's all about what works for you. Some men look good in shorts at any age. I have even seen really old guys and, for that matter women, who live up to the saying "the legs are the last to go". My ex was a nelly 56 year old and he had a bit of chub around the midsection but he walked all over Glendale back and forth to work 30 years and used to jog and still did the eliptical. His legs were perfect. I bought some chicken pieces just today and the butcher lady was about mid 50's with some middle age spread and a distinct updo so imagine when I saw her walking home wearing a sweater over a Chanel miniskirt with opaque tights and these monochromatic Dr. Martens boots with a brace with pearly buttons that I saw all over Madrid pre-COVID and it looked straight out of a magazine. Made me think how back in LA, I would see people in their 30's working blue collar jobs with no sense of fashion and letting themselves go.

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2021 9:53 PM

Never wear white after Labor Day

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2021 9:56 PM

A butcher can afford Chanel?

Nevermind wearing it to work in blood and guts all day.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2021 9:57 PM

I followed OP's command and am currently naked from the waist down.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote] Men over 40 should not wear shorts

Ha! What a stupid “rule.” Life is way too short to worry about such nonsensical musings. Wear whatever the hell that you want.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2021 10:09 PM

Fuck off, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2021 10:12 PM

How do you know who is over 40?

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2021 10:12 PM

Men under 40 should not wear diamonds, and even then, it's risky.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2021 10:15 PM

Men over 40 should not wear shorts that are trendy, or that are also over 40 years old.

Fixed it for you...

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2021 10:39 PM

[quote]Never wear white after Labor Day

That's an idiotic antiquated rule, considering that many places experience summer temperatures in September and October.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2021 1:19 AM

Men over 15 should not write stupid.

But to turn this more positive: OP and all, what does look good when over 50?

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2021 1:25 AM

I'm 60 and I still sometimes get compliments on my legs

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2021 1:28 AM

[quote] Never wear white after Labor Day

When is 'after' labor day ending and 'before labor day starting'? It's 4/9. Technically, that's still after last labor day. I'm so confused.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2021 1:29 AM

R17 Lady Marjorie used to say, "No diamonds in the country."

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2021 1:29 AM

"fashion rules" are completely pedestrian

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2021 1:45 PM

Flip flops and long pants do not mix.

OP looks best in grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 1:48 PM

No one should wear shorts when it's under 70 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 3:55 PM

Can somebody post a link to a blog for fashion over 40 that you like? Where can I find Forever 51?

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2021 4:49 PM

I agree, OP. Shorts are for kids and women unless extremely humid conditions.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2021 6:18 PM

Tank tops on an older, untoned body are a worse crime than shorts are.

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2021 6:30 PM

Tank tops actually never look good unless you have a really well built body to show for. Even on a just-athletic body it just looks overly casual and never right to me. But, hey, fashion develop constantly. What's hideous today can be a trend tomorrow. And a tank still looks better than white guys in white socks and sandals. Oooohh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2021 6:55 PM

Never wear a girdle before 5:00 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2021 7:05 PM

Men over 30 shouldn’t show their bare feet in flip flops or sandals. Boy’s feet are cute but most don’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2021 7:08 PM

Agree with R1, OP is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Men’s shorts are for American tourists!

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2021 7:43 PM

In addition, women of all ages should wear closed-toed shoes and clothing in their actual sizes so everyone they encounter does not commit to memory a visual of their muffin tops, spare tires, tramp stamps, thigh cellulite, breast implants, ass implants, turkey wings, chipped toenail polish, nasty stanky feet, flabby asses they think look Kardashian-esque and not look like thirsty whores who shop in the Junior section at Osh Gosh B'Gosh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2021 7:47 PM

Get off of my lawn OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2021 7:47 PM

Stupid assholes shouldn’t be telling other people what to wear.

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2021 7:48 PM

Fran Lebowitz has said this in interviews for years which is ironic since she has dressed like a man wearing the same outfit her entire life, and NO ONE would be interested in seeing any aspect of her person from the neck down

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2021 7:51 PM

R32 And women...?

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2021 7:52 PM

R20: In complete agreement about the use of the word, "stupid". In my experience, grown men, who've come from socially conservative backgrounds, use the world, when confronted with an opinion they don't agree with.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2021 8:13 PM

I’ve now decided to ignore fashion advice from anyone under 40. And to also wear what I want.

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2021 8:35 PM

Never wear a snood. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2021 8:53 PM

I'm 79 and I still wear shorts. I especially like the new shorter lengths above the knee and more tapered with a little spandex added to the fabric.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2021 8:59 PM

I’m 83 and I wear thongs!

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2021 9:03 PM

Me too and I’m even older than you r43. Luckily I don’t ever have to wear anything but shorts.

I wear shorts with knee hi socks to provide pressure on my varicose veins. Also I don’t know where my keds are so my dress shoes will have to do. It’s not as if I have to go out anywhere much these days.

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2021 9:04 PM

Men with ugly feet and deformed toes should never wear flip-flops or open toed sandals. Cover that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2021 9:06 PM

People with 50 year old tattoos should cover them up. They are blurry and ugly and no one can tell what they were supposed to be in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2021 9:09 PM

Fuck you, bitch. I live in the desert southwest. If I didn’t wear shorts in the summer I would explode. Kiss my suntanned ass.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2021 9:10 PM

Im really on the fence about this . Im floridian ,and its so damn hot 3/4 of the year that shorts are just so comfortable. That being said,I also realize my once very nice legs are pretty damn gross now. Whereas they were once thick and hairy,they are now denuded chicken wings with discoloration from diabetes and hideous scaly skin. Ive gone the knee length,high sock route,but it just looks pathetic. I dont care what people think per se,but I do care how I look for my own sake. And I know shorts just arent my friend anymore. By the way,Im 60 . I think they look fine on older men IF youve still got nice legs,but be real,how many older guys do?

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2021 9:11 PM

I think most men over 50 like to show their legs in shorts because that's the one feature on their body that's skinny.

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2021 9:16 PM

I am 53 and I have awesome legs from daily 60 minute sessions on the ARC trainer. A woman behind me in line last week at Kroger told me I had the prettiest legs she'd ever seen. How did she know? Because I was wearing shorts.

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2021 9:17 PM

I'd say men over 60 should not wear shorts. The chicken skin, sagging skin at the knees and varicose veins are not becoming. I was looking at the picture of a rich older man in Floridian vacation clothes with Khakis and shoes but no socks. I have no idea what he was thinking but it was really gross. It was like he was publicizing the fact that growing old was not pretty. On a young good looking man it would have looked sexy.

Young handsome men wearing flip flips with casual pants and jeans is hot.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2021 9:18 PM

In hot climate, linen slacks may work as an alternative to shorts. But yeah, it's still a layer on sweaty skin. If I was in Florida I probably should opt for these long slacks because in shorts the bugs would eat me alive. In Florida bugs find me year-round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2021 9:19 PM

OP is obviously a very fancy person.

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2021 9:20 PM

R12 - it's weird here...of course in the butcher shop they wear a uniform. My question has always been how on earth they can afford Chanel and every damn beauty treatment under the sky on a $700 a month salary. It's a thing I have seen all over Europe that still amazes me...poor but dressed to the nines in wool and Italian brands. The theory an ex of mine said is that they see such purchases as we see a new computer...buy once every few years and skimp on other things and update with accessories. I assume that is what is going on. In any case, the "casual" is really an alien concept. Nike's are worn with skepsis...like a pair of Chanel shorts and a silk blouse that's slightly and deliberately untucked.

by Anonymousreply 55April 11, 2021 9:21 PM

I agree with R9 wholeheartedly -- knowing what looks good and what looks . . . not good. I was in Puerto Rico a few years ago and my husband took a picture that horrified me. For some reason cargo shorts seemed like a good idea and a stupid t-shirt with some bar's name on it. Clunky sneakers and socks. The thing is, I wasn't even all that comfortable. I used to have nice legs (worked on my feet all day and walked to work a lot). Now, not so much. I have two sisters-in-law who both wear short shorts. One (who is 80) pulls it off as she has great legs and she's tall. The other one is knock-kneed and they are kind of chicken-y.

My husband has great legs and wears expensive clothing that compliment him because he wears expensive (i.e., European) clothes well. I'm all-American (wide shoulders, hips) so have to stay with American brands like J Crew and Tommy Bahama. I look good, but I can never dress super casually as I look ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2021 9:28 PM

Caftans are preferable after 40.

by Anonymousreply 57April 11, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]I'm 60 and I still sometimes get compliments on my legs

"OMG! They still work. Good for you."

by Anonymousreply 58April 11, 2021 9:35 PM

Neither age nor weight should be excuses for not wearing well-fitting (vs. tight fighting) clothes.

One's clothes should always fit well.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] R 53, If I was in Florida . . . .

I'd move.

by Anonymousreply 60April 11, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote]R 53, If I was in Florida...

I'd know that I was a product of their educational system.

by Anonymousreply 61April 11, 2021 9:46 PM

I live in Florida so everything goes. But old guys with horrible looking feet in orthopedic sandals are the worst. Also as mentioned guys with no body who wear tank tops all the time. Terrible. Please put on a tshirt guys. Shorts are so common that I dont even notice them.

by Anonymousreply 62April 11, 2021 9:51 PM

Terence Stamp in The Hit - linen shirt and trousers, with espadrilles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 11, 2021 10:23 PM

...and Terence Stamp IRL 30 years later, in Birkenstocks (but not shorts)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 11, 2021 10:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 11, 2021 10:33 PM

Use dry shampoo on your wiglet.

by Anonymousreply 66April 11, 2021 10:37 PM

Maybe OP is Adam Gopnick.

He's a hetero New Yorker writer who wrote a book about his time in Paris and was skewered for making a big deal over how the French allegedly never wore shorts and how embarrassed he was that American tourists did and looked, Gopnick felt, like overgrown toddlers, etc.

Not sure he's ever lived it down.

by Anonymousreply 67April 11, 2021 10:43 PM

Even Max Gail? Are you saying he shouldn't wear shorts, OP?

by Anonymousreply 68April 11, 2021 10:48 PM

I dislike the flip-flop era. Most people have dreadful looking, grubby, misshapen feet. Second, they now seem to be worn everywhere including Church, court, graduations, etc. The slapping sound is annoying. Unless you are on the beach, the flip-flops should stay in your gym bag.

by Anonymousreply 69April 11, 2021 10:51 PM

I never wear black leather chaps to the Seattle Symphony Orchestra after Labor Day,

by Anonymousreply 70April 11, 2021 10:53 PM

Yeah men after 50 should wear long sleeve shirts and slacks/jeans/long pants. Let’s face it, unless you’ve got Ricky Martin’s physique (and I still find him repulsive and thirsty for attention) there is nothing good to show. I would be embarrassed to be wearing revealing clothing at 50.

by Anonymousreply 71April 11, 2021 11:37 PM

Ha ha ha R61!

by Anonymousreply 72April 11, 2021 11:44 PM

I knew the Flip Flop Troll would show up on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 73April 11, 2021 11:53 PM

Don't tell that to Cariocas. Here's a clip of street scenes while walking around in Rio and nearly every male you see, no matter how old, is wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 12, 2021 12:00 AM

Never wear white during labor.

by Anonymousreply 75April 12, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]Men over 40 should not wear shorts

Why the fuck not OP? You're an idiot.

Some of us have great legs, are fit and in shape, live in warm climates and aren't forced to wear a caftan because we are so flabby and grossly obese we can't fit in anything else like you.

R3 is correct - particularly fashion advice. For some unknown reason - 99% of the gay male DL audience are the worst dressed on the planet. Really letting the side down. Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 76April 12, 2021 12:07 AM

This is OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2021 12:10 AM

Some of the sexiest legs I've ever seen have been on men over the age of 40.

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2021 12:10 AM

No idea R76, but it was one of the first things that struck me on finding this site, that most fashion discussions quickly became about what was on offer at J.C. Penney and the value of taking a lesbian friend along to help choose sensible footwear.

There was also the surprise of learning that pink shirts--button downs and polos--were considered "gay" and not "preppy"

by Anonymousreply 79April 12, 2021 12:13 AM

Cover up more the older you get. As you age, your bones will start to show due to progressive loss of muscle mass. Fat doesn’t pad bone quiet like muscle does. To give the appearance of not having grown scrawny with age, wear two layers of natural breathable fabrics. A cotton shirt with a linen or hopsack jacket, for example. A natty but conservative look becomes a middle aged man very nicely. T-shirts, flip flops and shorts should not be worn in public. You’ll embarrass yourself and frighten children.

by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2021 12:40 AM

Are you people just idly shriveling up as you age? You know you can go to a gym and/or work out at home and add muscle mass at any age. It just sounds like most of you have given up....and weren't that ambitious to start with.

by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] Men over 40 should not wear shorts

Shots fired for WWIII. The DL equivalent of the stabbing of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2021 2:39 AM

I've never been able to wear shorts. My legs are so white, I would have to have someone run ahead and hand out sunglasses to people.

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2021 3:31 AM

R77 that's the look I aspire to one day.

by Anonymousreply 84April 12, 2021 3:38 AM

r67

Gopnik is a priss pot!

by Anonymousreply 85April 12, 2021 4:02 AM

When I was a young man working on Wall Street I made some sartorial rules for big city post preppies in law and finance, etc.

They don't make sense anymore by the way.

This was one of them:

Young men up to 24 and over 55 can wear:

high water cuffed sack suits from Brooks Brothers

bowties

suspenders (but buttons only)

white bucks in season

pink seersucker in season

Thank you, happy few, for remembering my references

by Anonymousreply 86April 12, 2021 4:05 AM

God the flip flops are everywhere here now that its warm, obese white men and I mean 350+ in shorts and yep varicose veins and those vile pink feet bottoms. And nasty crusty hooves.

by Anonymousreply 87April 12, 2021 6:18 AM

Some can, and do. Op is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 88April 12, 2021 6:52 AM

I understand where OP is coming from. This “casual” dress code has been accepted everywhere and it’s disturbing. I remember when we dressed appropriately for dining out, shopping, and musical performances. Today, I see trash humans wearing actual pajama bottoms at my grocery store while chatting loudly on their cellphone earpiece for all to hear. And I live in a very exclusive area! I stopped patronizing Walmart several years ago because of the garbage people there. Although I may falsely assume I’m better than everyone else, I know I’m not the only one who feels disgusted with the current lack of self respect and basic human decency in people. If you’re not personally offended by current trends, give it a few years.

by Anonymousreply 89April 12, 2021 10:08 AM

[quote] I live in a very exclusive area! I stopped patronizing Walmart

Paradox

by Anonymousreply 90April 12, 2021 10:10 AM

IMHO, I don't like flip flops on men...instant dick wilter. I remember when elegant flip flop type sandals came into style and my sister wore them with a nice pedicure. However, despite pregnancy and weight gain followed by weight loss, she still has perfect little feet. I have bunions so I don't bare the feet.

by Anonymousreply 91April 12, 2021 10:42 AM

Not even on cute young men? I find it very hot. On everyone else revolting. What was the clothing store years ago that hired only good looking young men and had them wear jeans and flip flops?

by Anonymousreply 92April 12, 2021 11:21 AM

I don't give one single fuck what other people wear, as long as I don't have to hear it—e.g., most women's shoes, flip-flops on anyone. And I don't want to smell you, either your perfume / cologne / lotion / hair product or your BO.

by Anonymousreply 93April 12, 2021 11:35 AM

Or never live in a country that has (American] Labor Day and American weather.

by Anonymousreply 94April 12, 2021 12:20 PM

Fashion has changed!

by Anonymousreply 95April 12, 2021 1:24 PM

Men over 40 should ONLY wear shorts and no socks cuz you'll eventually lose all your beautiful leg hair. Legs are the best.

by Anonymousreply 96April 12, 2021 1:53 PM

My eldergays trashy nephew showed up to my eldergays mother's funeral wearing sloppy shorts and flip flops with his whining flilthy spawn on his lap.

by Anonymousreply 97April 12, 2021 3:58 PM

R89 is a parody post?

by Anonymousreply 98April 12, 2021 4:11 PM

The only fashion “rule” that’s ever stuck with me is Tom Ford saying adult men should never wear shorts in the city and only wear flip flops at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 99April 12, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote] This “casual” dress code has been accepted everywhere and it’s disturbing.

That is not a new trend though. If I look back I'd say that this is ongoing for at least 100 years. Think the time polo shirts became acceptable for every situation. "Casual Friday" at work. No hats in public anymore. The mini skirt. No layers for womens dresses after WW1 etc.

I think the erosion of standards has always happened. You just don't see it documented. Not everybody had a Sunday suit for church. So people made concessions where some were simply not able to follow (high) standards. And once you let it go for some, more will take the liberty and drop standards for convenience.

The question that really interests me: How far will it go in the future? You'll see it at Walmart first.

by Anonymousreply 100April 12, 2021 4:46 PM

Looking good, gramps!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 12, 2021 5:17 PM

Flip-flops are so fucking trashy. I hope this fad ends.

by Anonymousreply 102April 12, 2021 7:53 PM

Flip flops are for kids and women

by Anonymousreply 103April 13, 2021 4:22 AM

I love the queens who LOSE THEIR SHIT when someone criticizes their nasty beloved flip flops

by Anonymousreply 104April 13, 2021 4:23 AM

If you lived in New York before 9/11 - no one ever wore flip flops. That shit started with thirsty millennials who dress like toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 105April 13, 2021 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!