Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laurie Anderson’s O Superman startled young me into a new and most creative phase in my life.

Seminal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2021 6:29 AM

Hansel and Gretel are alive and well, and they're living in Berlin. She is a cocktail waitress - he had a part in a Fassbinder film. They sit around at night now drinking tonic and gin. And she says, Hansel: You're really bringing me down. And he says, Gretel? Sometimes you can really be a.....bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 9:20 PM

I remember almost falling over when I heard Massenet's lovely tenor aria "O soverain" and realized not only did Anderson take the melody (transformed) for "O Superman" but also the French lyrics, which she Anglicized into something new.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 9:26 PM

Such a pity she ended with that lousy dirtbag.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 9:29 PM

Brava r3. Classic pointless bitchery!

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 11:43 PM

Thank you, OP! What a great match for a Thursday.

And, yeah, we’ve all befriended saints who collect dirtbags.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2021 3:32 AM

Double dipping to add a video just because

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2021 3:37 AM

Big Science is an incredible album, though I wish CDs had been available at the time, because there is a lot more material from United States Live that deserved to be on the record had there been more space.

I can see the future, and it's a place, about 70 miles east of here, where it's brighter

Linger on over here

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2021 3:50 AM

Indeed, r1...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2021 5:20 PM

I'm thinking back to when I was a child. Way back to when I was a tot. When I was an embryo. A tiny speck, just a dot. When I was a Hershey bar in my father's back pocket.

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2021 11:09 AM

Margaret Atwood is overrated. Sentence by sentence, she's not a very good writer.

But no one is allowed to say that.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2021 11:15 AM

The album had a good sound and atmosphere. The videos and her shows were campy.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2021 11:15 AM

R10, I've only read two of her books. Honestly, I found The Handmaid's Tale to be a classic. Perhaps I liked it more for the ideas than the sentences though? I can't remember my thoughts of her writing. I also read The Testaments, which I know is more written like a popular type novel, but I did find it very easy and "can't put it down", if not being wholly satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2021 11:18 AM

I watched Home of the Brave recently, R11, and I don't think I found it campy, personally. It was quite interesting in how she used the band, and she had a very good understanding of the unsettling relationship between humans and technology. Some of the images she used are pure nightmare fuel.

I've always quite liked her, even if throughout her entire career she's basically just remade the same show over and over. She's very engaging, and switches things up enough, at least.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2021 11:20 AM

I have that 5 record set of her long 80s piece United States I-IV. I got it for Christmas in high school! I still listen to it from time to time, and enjoy it. I still listen to my record collection. I remember as a kid wishing it wasn’t live and was all done in the studio so it sounded like Big Science and Mr. Heartbreak, but now... I like the haphazard, atmospheric quality of it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2021 11:31 AM

I got that too, R14, though I downloaded it from iTunes about 10 years ago, so it was put into 4 "discs" rather than 5. I found the 4th to probably be my favourite, becoming progressively creepier as you hurtle towards the end. "Going somewhere?"

I wish someone had recorded the actual show. I would've loved to have seen it in its entirety.

Some of the stuff she did just resonates. People talk a lot about "O Superman", but how about "Language is a Virus"?:

Well, I dreamed there was an island

That rose up from the sea

And everybody on the island

Was somebody from TV

And there was a beautiful view

But nobody could see

'Cause everybody on the island

Was screaming: 'Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! LOOK AT ME!'

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2021 11:38 AM

And another from the same song:

[italic] Well I walked uptown

And I saw a sign – 'Today’s lecture:

Big Science and Little Man'

So, I walked in and there were all these salesmen there

With a big pile of electronics

And they were singing – "Phase, lock, loop!

"Neurological bonding,

"Video disc."

They were saying – "We’re gonna link you up...

"We’re gonna phase you in!"

They said – "Think of it this way...

"Picture a Christmas tree

"With lots of little sparkly lights

"And each light is totally separate

"But they’re all sort of hanging off the same wire

"Get the picture?"

And I said – "Count me out."

And they said – "We’ve got your number."

And I said – "Count me out!

"You gotta count me out!"[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2021 11:40 AM

Pass the salt.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2021 11:44 AM

The part of "O Superman" that always gave me chills is quite simply:

"Ok. Who is this [italic]really[/italics]?"

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2021 11:49 AM

^Ah, well I fucked that up.

"And I said: 'Ok. Who is this [italic]really[/italic]?'"

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2021 11:50 AM

'Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.

And when justice is gone, there's always force.

And when force is gone, there's always mom - hi, mom!

So hold me mom in your long arms, in your automatic arms, your electronic arms, in your arms.

So hold me mom in your long arms, your petrochemical arms, your military arms, in your electronic arms.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2021 11:53 AM

During the newspaper strike the networks asked all the writers

To read their columns on TV.

The writers weren't actors. They did all the wrong things.

They squinted into the lights,

Wore rumpled clothes, and used big words.

The signs for the deaf were getting more and more obscure.

Lots of qualifying phrases and, uh... awkward pauses.

So the producers kept saying:

"Ok, buzz words only.

"Two syllables, tops."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote] Laurie Anderson’s O Superman startled young me into a new and most creative phase in my life.

And what did you actually create during this phase? Please share.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2021 12:43 PM

I think he edged to it and shot a big lead of semen.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2021 1:01 PM

Fuck, don't say "semen". I'm so fucking toey at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2021 1:06 PM

Pukeworthy.

Not semen.

Anderson's preening, derivative, confused "art".

Boooooooolsheeeeeeeet.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2021 1:09 PM

Good evening. Welcome to Difficult Listening Hour:

The spot on your dial for that relentless and impenetrable sound of 'difficult music'.

So, sit bolt upright in that straight-back chair,

Button that top button,

And get set for some difficult music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote]r10 Margaret Atwood is overrated. Sentence by sentence, she's not a very good writer. But no one is allowed to say that.

Officially the stupidest thing I’ve read at DL.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2021 2:04 PM

I became aware of Anderson and was totally taken by her at once painfully human and otherworldly detachment when I watched her iridescent documentary “Heart of a Dog,” which I now own.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2021 2:24 PM

The most Laurie Anderson thing to ever happen to Laurie Anderson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2021 3:16 PM

While writing for school, I am listening to “Landfall,” Anderson’s collaboration with the Kronos Quartet, which was was inspired by her experience of Hurricane Sandy, and it is rather sublime.

The whole album is available on YouTube for free. Totally worth checking out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2021 3:41 PM

I always assumed she was a lesbian and Lou was her beard.

I love Poison

"A small bullet, a piece of glass, and your heart just grows around it"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2021 3:47 PM

Odd trivia tidbit: “O Superman” was almost released by Piano Records, the small little label run out of the UK by David Cunningham (the man who created, and was, The Flying Lizards). Anderson and someone else had brought it to him in hopes to release it in the UK, because “gimmick” records often did well on the charts in the UK and could breakout an unknown artist. When Cunningham heard it he was so impressed with it... he said NO! He claimed it was so good it would probably do well and there was no way his tiny label could keep up with the demand. They went with someone else. Cunningham had been right!

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2021 8:32 PM

Another early fave I love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2021 11:07 PM

She needs to release an album about her deceased husband called Big Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2021 11:32 PM

She became a big enabler, r34. It's sad

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2021 11:33 PM

I love "New York Social Life" too, R33, though it's kinda a depressing take on human relationships, huh?

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2021 5:10 AM

Well she’s no Kim Carnes!

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2021 6:19 AM

Her PSAs from, I think, the early 90s are interesting:

So, we're marching around the club and, um, this woman, one of the Bunnies, was just getting to work and she said, um: 'So, hey, uh, what's going on here?' And I said, 'Well, we're, um, marching to protest the economic exploitation of women and the treatment of women as animals,' and I handed her one of the free pamphlets.

And she said: 'Listen. Honey. I make $800 a week at this job. I've got three kids to support. This is the best job I've ever had. So, if you want to talk about women and money, why don't you go down to the Garment District, where women make 10¢ an hour, and why don't you go and march around down there?'

And I said: 'Hmmm.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2021 6:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!