Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people with everything still kill themselves?

I don't get it

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 10:54 AM

Mental illness. Depression doesn’t care if you have everything. It’s biological.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 5:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 5:36 AM

They don’t have what they want

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 5:37 AM

i know someone who killed himself yesterday that fits this description. Trauma is trauma, it doesn't matter how much money you have if you've been traumatized and sleep deprived six days per week for a year. I think even "mental illness" is not always an accurate description. Some people are just run down by their experiences and traumas, throw in some sleep depravation and you've got a dangerous mix. (And sleep depravation can exist for a professional who is getting the same amount of sleep today as they did five years ago--they're five years older).

Some people dont know how to take a break. After the suicide i had a conversation with another friend who works six days per week and has for years. I suggested taking 1 saturday per month off. He won't do it. He doesn't need the money but wants it. Also stuff about his team depending on him. I explained he could just not go to work one day if he didn't want to. It was unthinkable for him. I tried to make the point thats what the guy who killed himself thought. It didn't process for my friend.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 5:47 AM

Values. Emptiness. Anomie. Alienation. Fill in the gaps.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 5:53 AM

There’s a lot to be said for the “I’ll be happy when...” delusion.

It keeps people going.

If you already have everything, but are unhappy... there’s nothing to keep you going.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 5:54 AM

Unresolved clinical depression usually. But sometimes it's a rational considered decision when there is a current or upcoming situation the person cannot change.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2021 5:56 AM

Depression, addiction, trauma, loss of faith, lack of hope, terminal illness, bad decision making, murder/suicide, unfullfillment, disillusionment, uncontrollable pain, fear, imbalance, family cycles, inherited trauma, poverty, hopelessness, etc. the bigger question is why more people don’t kill themselves. I’m also surprised more people don’t kill their children.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2021 6:00 AM

Whatever your circumstances are, it becomes normal to you, the background. People who win the lottery, after an initial period of elation, go back to however they were feeling before they won, including if they were feeling crappy.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2021 6:03 AM

Lol R2, the Richard Cory poem is partially what inspired this thread. I was also just reading up on the death of Avicii (famous 28-year-old DJ who killed himself a few years ago by cutting his wrists with a broken bottle).

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 6:08 AM

Two days ago, 12-year old boy jumped off the roof of his building and landed on a car on Park Avenue. . He was a sixth grader. Sixth grade.

That one got to me.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 10:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!