Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Learning Discipline and How to Live a More Normal Life

I grew up in a very chaotic environment with a very severely mentally ill mother. I was in university for many years and then was diagnosed with bipolar disorder myself.

Suffice it to say, relatively little of a normal, stable home is either familiar or reflexive.

I am literally working on sleeping at night, waking the morning and taking vitamins. I am trying to get that down pat....

I understand that children of addicts sometimes have the same problem. Can anyone relate?

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Good luck honey. Are you taking medicine for the bipolarity? What's the point of the vitamins?

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2021 12:34 AM

Make your bed every morning.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2021 12:38 AM

Good wishes to you, OP. I have similar issues.

The key for me is to get a few things done first thing in the morning (usually before I even get dressed.)

I’ll do the dishes, do a load of laundry, send an email or two. Nothing super taxing.

But that gets my momentum going. And, it lowers my stress/anxiety level so it’s manageable. Otherwise I just shut down.

Let us know how you are doing.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 12:39 AM

God Bless you. I have gone through COVID alone and I am older person. This no joke, but have you considered doing crossword puzzles? Unlike reading a book, you don't get invested in the plot or stay up way too late, You can put the crossword down easily, it totally occupies your mind while you are solving, which staves off random bad thoughts etc. I buy books of puzzles, which are graded as to difficulty. I love to read, but could not put the book down if it was a good one. I agree with the above poster about doing a load of laundry. I just recently (after Vaccine) began visiting my family of grandchildren, all of whom have jobs and posed too great a risk since they all work in the public. So pleased it is almost over. I do know what solitude means. I have always been a person who needs a lot of down time so the isolation hasn't bothered me. To be honest, I am a terrible snob, and don't want to talk to anyone who doesn't interest me so the COVID hasn't bothered me much. Hang in there, you life experience has got to improve.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 1:10 AM

Hey, OP. I'm working on the same things. I recently got a new mattress, mattress cover, and fitted sheets. I sleep so much easier now. If you can afford that right now, I would suggest getting some nice bedding. Be nice to yourself. You deserve it!

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 4:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!