Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This Map Shows Where it is Illegal to be Gay - Worldwide Sexual Orientation Laws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2021 10:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 11:48 PM

TAIWAN NUMBA ONE 🇹🇼 The *real* China. What a gay friendly sapphire in Asia.

Begone evil Chinese Communists!!!

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 11:52 PM

Pressure needs to be put on Guyana, Jamaica, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Barbados and St Lucia to clear the western hemisphere of homopobia and pass discrimination protection throughout the US.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2021 12:01 AM

Those countries all have something in common, R3. Unlikely!

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2021 12:03 AM

Great Thread!

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2021 12:07 AM

The shades of red have what in common? Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2021 12:17 AM

Guyana is quite gay-friendly in reality, even though the laws on the books saw otherwise. Of course, that’s not an excuse for the outdated laws to exist, and I do think they will be one of the next countries to decriminalize homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2021 12:20 AM

Okay, who had Bolivia on their Gay Rights Bingo card?

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2021 12:22 AM

The ones in red and orange.......are mostly .. Muslim countries, including Palestinian Territories. Yet DL'ers seem to love them.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2021 12:26 AM

There is no shortage of gay, lesbian and bisexual people in Muslim countries as much as anywhere else, and people fighting for their equality there deserve support.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 12:29 AM

Not mentioning that the USA ranks with the Ukraine, Botswana and Mozambique?

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 12:30 AM

Look at Israel.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 12:30 AM

I'm trying R12

Not easy on the phone, as the photo only enlarges so much and Israel is tiny.

Israel looks to be the same shade of blue as most of Western Europe?

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 12:35 AM

Yup R13. Dark Blue like Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 12:38 AM

R11 - gay marriage and gay adoption aren’t allowed in those countries.

A country can get super dark blue for “constitutional protections” yet not allow gay marriage or same sex adoptions.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 12:41 AM

Americans love and defend their misery.

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 12:45 AM

Wow, Nepal and Bolivia both have constitutional protection. Adding them to the list of countries to visit!

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 12:48 AM

It's a relief to see we are a couple of steps ahead of...Russia.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 1:02 AM

Most, if not all of those in the darkest red category are completely hell holes anyway. I will say, that I'm disappointed in Bhutan (not in the darkest category, but close enough). I've always wanted to travel there...despite the $200-$250 USD daily fee.

I wouldn't mind only hitting Nepal, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 1:18 AM

All thanks to white colonialism!

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 1:26 AM

Who knew Mongolia was an island of tolerance?

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 1:29 AM

I was going to say, Mongolia? I was /not/ expecting that.

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2021 1:36 AM

Gee, I wonder what crawled up the added of the closet cases in stripes and raspberry berets....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 1:44 AM

The Western world is going into the right direction and that makes me very pleased. Another 15-20 years and it will be all blue.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2021 1:47 AM

Maybe we should find a new map indicating where any of these laws are enforced?

The UK had the death penalty on the statute book until 2004 despite not having executed anyone since 1964.

by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2021 2:03 AM

It only took 24 for one to show up. It's slow here.

by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2021 2:10 AM

I wonder how this map will look in 10-20 years. I dare to be hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]Pressure needs to be put on Guyana, Jamaica, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Barbados and St Lucia to clear the western hemisphere of homopobia and pass discrimination protection throughout the US.

We can start by boycotting those countries as well as the cruise lines that give them plenty of money.

by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2021 5:18 AM

Muslim countries look red to me. And Israel is blue.

No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 29April 8, 2021 5:29 AM

[quote]The ones in red and orange.......are mostly .. Muslim countries, including Palestinian Territories. Yet DL'ers seem to love them.

[quote]There is no shortage of gay, lesbian and bisexual people in Muslim countries as much as anywhere else, and people fighting for their equality there deserve support.

The political and cultural fetishization of Muslims in the West has created such a high degree of reality disconnect that despite homosexuality being socially abhorrent, a crime and a death sentence in 56 Muslim countries, posters like R10 continue to rationalize support for homo-hating cultures. And on a gay board.

by Anonymousreply 30April 8, 2021 5:38 AM

what r30 said!

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2021 6:16 AM

If you don't want to sign in to your YT account from this link, then just click on the transfer link in the frame to be taken directly to YT. Did you all know that it was THIS bad in Russia?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2021 9:43 AM

R30 I get your point, but what I think R10 is trying to say is we should support LGBT people who have the great misfortune to be stuck in Islamofacist regimes, not support Islam itself. Islam is the problem, rather than the people as such, and is the reason for many of the homo hating cultures in the world - but not all, Russia being a case in point.

Palestine in particular though is an absolute living hell for LGBT people, with extreme persecution and beatings, honour killings etc

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2021 11:13 AM

[quote]Who knew Mongolia was an island of tolerance?

I was surprised by a lot of places on this map.

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2021 2:43 PM

But it's Islamophobic to call out Muslim homophobia!

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2021 2:54 PM

This map has no bearing on reality. I took major loads when I worked for Aramco on Saudi. Basically it’s all masc verbal straight acting tops all the time if you know how to be discreet.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote] The ones in red and orange.......are mostly .. Muslim countries, including Palestinian Territories. Yet DL'ers seem to love them.

As far as a large contingent of this site is concerned, it’s still 1995.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2021 3:04 PM

R33 thank you for being able to read. Yes, that's what I meant. In even the most homophobic and intolerant cultures, queer people exist and someone's trying to make a difference, often at great cost. They should be the ones that get support.

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2021 4:48 PM

Notice the counties who follow imaginary gods are the least tolerant. Fairy tales written by straight men... they don’t want to be treated like they treat women, apparently!

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]is trying to say is we should support LGBT people who have the great misfortune to be stuck in Islamofacist regimes, not support Islam itself. Islam is the problem, rather than the people as such,

R33 R39 Part of that Western fetishization includes the absurd attempt to separate Muslims from Islam. As if the foundation of Muslim culture, its raison d'etre, can be easily dismissed or ignored, has little or no influence on the daily lives of 1.7 billion Muslims.

It is again that reality disconnect that creates the ludicrous phenomenon of gay men on a gay board supportive/defensive about Muslim cultures. Doing so does not support "LGBT people who have the great misfortune to be stuck in Islamofacist regimes", it is tacit support for those homo-murdering regimes and Muslim populations that persecute them.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2021 5:52 AM

Christian countries in Africa seems particularly homophobic

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2021 6:02 AM

The problem with that map is that it looks solely at laws, not the realities of LGBT peoples who live there.

LGBT are socially and legally repressed in Russia and Poland, for example, but the map says no laws against gays.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2021 6:05 AM

R42 Sounds great until they need an excuse to lock you up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2021 6:11 AM

Nice colors, but I'd still rather be gay in Alabama than a gay in Angola.

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2021 6:44 AM

We need a map showing where it is legal to be FABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2021 6:48 AM

R44, both will lead to terrible lives if you’re not bashed and killed

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2021 6:52 AM

[quote]It is again that reality disconnect that creates the ludicrous phenomenon of gay men on a gay board supportive/defensive about Muslim cultures.

Again for the literal minded like R40, no one is defending "Muslim cultures," we're discussing the fact that even in the most oppressive regimes and societies, LGBT people exist and someone's trying to do the right thing and those people should be supported however possible for these societies to progress. The alternative is to throw thousands of people who are already suffering to the wolves and letting them be persecuted and killed. The fact that you think having sympathy for people living under those conditions is TACIT SUPPORT for those very conditions is beyond illogical.

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2021 7:07 PM

Boliva--one of the poorer countries in South America--has better protections for those of different sexual orientation than America? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2021 7:32 PM

[quote]Christian countries in Africa seems particularly homophobic

Blame the British empire and American evangelicals for that.

by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2021 7:51 PM

R49, true. So many harcore rightwing evangelical preachers head to Uganda. We see how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2021 7:57 PM

I bless the rains down in Africa 🎶

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2021 8:02 PM

I think they’re attempting to obliquely defend religion for the grotesque things they believe... and do to homosexuals, r47.

by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2021 8:16 PM

It’s worth noting that no conservative countries are nice places to live in.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2021 8:35 PM

Use the Secret to create the life you want!

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2021 9:24 PM

[Bold] *F*E*T*I*S*H*

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2021 1:24 AM

R49, Yes. Those evangelical missionaries descended upon Africa decades ago, providing aid in exchange for their souls.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2021 1:40 AM

So you want to support LGBT people In oppressive religious regimes (there, I didn't say Muslim, feel better?)? Then start by calling out their oppressive religious community.

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2021 10:35 AM

////////////

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2021 10:01 PM

r6 oppressed by israel?

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2021 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!