Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pandemic Eating and Cravings

Anyone else change their eating habits since the start of the pandemic? Obviously, like a lot of DL-ers I fell off the no drinking wagon and smoke again which I am desperately trying to stop and change my lifestyle, especially since my project is coming to an end and I have 3 months to get in shape before going home. But, without the structure of the normal work week and restaurants closed, I am eating one meal a day and I mostly have a strange craving for tomatoes, lemons, and salty foods. I am DESPERATELY trying to lose weight so I walk like 4 hours a day. Still I am less hungry and want a ton of salt and lemon.

How had your eating and taste changed?

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2021 5:40 PM

Has Covid taught you nothing?!

WE ALL DIE!

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 8:06 PM

Been eating a lot more cold cereal

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 8:11 PM

I haven’t changed my diet much at all; the main difference is that I no longer eat crappy snacks at the office, nor do I have huge takeout lunches. My husband and I have had 100% of our meals at home.

As a result, I’ve lost 10 pounds since COVID started.

I’ve also quit drinking.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 8:14 PM

I started Keto in January, my partner is down 40lbs and I am down 20lbs. Glad we started when we did, we'll both be fully vaccinated by end of April!

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 9:05 PM

Had to quit coffee because it was giving me GERD and arrhythmia, but now I feel like I need hits of sugar a few times a day. I’m not overweight and eat a healthy diet, no soda or junk food or anything. I also don’t smoke or drink. So what gives, and what can I do about it?

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 9:26 PM

I’ve gained 20lbs. I get my second shot on Monday. I went today and signed up at my old gym. I’ll be back there a week from today.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 9:28 PM

I started the pandemic eating like crap. Then, when it was obvious this all was gonna take a minute, I started working out and cooking for myself since I finally had time. Prior to the lockdown, I had given up sugar but I allowed myself that vice since again since I love ice cream. I've lost about 40-50 lbs. Not sure the exact number as that was another thing that I did during this...I threw out my scale because I have struggled with weight my entire life and was obsessed with checking it daily. I have gone down two sizes in pants so I know that only happens when I lose 20-25 lbs per size. The funny thing is, I was never a big pot user, but during this, I started doing edibles almost every night. I don't get the "munchies" like everyone says they do...and I'm totally good with that. But the THC helps me relax and I'm not a big drinker so it works for me.

Friends who haven't seen me since the start of this are going to be shocked. I look good and I feel even better.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 9:32 PM

I started craving fast foods of all kinds. For a few months I ate practically nothing but take out food. I slowly started eating regular food again and now I eat both. I lost 30lb but I think that had to do with leaving an alcoholic boyfriend that I drank with a lot. Like another poster, I seem to crave salty foods all the time especially at night. Right now i'm going through major depression and I don't care what I eat in terms of being healthy.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 10:27 PM

R8 yeah, can relate and feel that pain. The old spicy depression does make eating regularly and well really tough.

Don’t know about you, but sometimes I forget meals, or can only stomach a bowl or cereal or a piece of buttered toast where I should be eating a full nutritious plant-based/protein meal. My workaround crutches are smoothies, soups, oatmeal bowls, and snacking on nut butters, seeds and fruit where I can face it. I also set phone timers to remind me to eat.

Honestly, I still have the occasional potato chip or biscuit binge when having a particular dark day. Also, I live with other people and we eat communally, so to keep the peace there are some days where I have to eat ‘bad’ foods as part of the meal that someone else law has cooked I.e. gluten, sugar, sodium, lecithin.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 10:35 PM

How did some of you like R3 quit drinking? Seems I picked it up harder as it's one of the few "fun" things to do. Also R4 what diet plan did you do? There are so many keto put there.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2021 1:14 AM

Keto will destroy your kidneys. There is a lot of evidence out there to support that.

R10, I was never a big drinker. I can go out and have one drink and be good. I went out recently and had 3 glasses of wine and my body felt like total shit the next day. Pot is so much milder and kinder to your body and no calories. Switch if you can.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2021 4:07 AM

I get TERRIBLE cravings for sweets in the afternoon after lunch.

They're VERY hard to resist, as a result I've become a TOTAL FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2021 4:14 AM

I've gained 30 lbs and was already 20 overweight. Hating myself. I'm 6'1 and big-boned but still, hate myself.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2021 6:46 AM

Got into a Diet Coke habit but quit. It was costing money, causing shopping hassles, and more trips to the recycling center. I still will order one at McD’s, but no more in my pantry / fridge.

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2021 6:58 AM

I gave up booze for Lent after leaning on it hard all pandemic because there was nothing to do and I needed to be numbed to the horror of Trumpworld.

Then I calculated that I was consuming almost an extra three days' worth of calories, every week, just from alcohol. Not to mention all the greasy diner food that followed.

I don't miss it, especially after losing 10 pounds so far. Trump not being in office helps.

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 6:58 AM

OP, have you ever heard of this thing called MAKING YOUR OWN MEALS?

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 7:00 AM

I'm vegetarian for 30 years and I miss the salad bars, especially at Whole Foods Market. Even the soup bars, though they carry a few soups now at WFM but not the several varieties as before, and the clerk dishes it out for us. I prefer to do it myself.

Sure, WFM and supermarkets offer packaged salads, bit it's not the same experience or appeal for me. And certain more exotic items at a WFM salad bar are never included in a pre-made salad bowl, like grilled or marinated mushrooms or grilled tomatoes, or shredded swiss cheese.

I'll eat a Panera Greek salad occasionally. I think it's made to order? The Sweetgreens, Dig Inn, Cava, etc. chains available in cities don't seem to appeal to me.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 7:01 AM

R10 we are on the standard keto diet (aiming for less than 20carbs a day) it reminds me of early atkins but more emphasis on fat v protein.

We aren’t suffering. Keto can affect your liver (fatty liver). Low carb high protein is rough on kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 12:41 PM

Been eating 95% of meals at home. Nothing crazy--making an egg and kale scramble for breakfast takes about 5 minutes and doing a lot of grilling.too, having leftovers from dinner for lunch sort of thing. Rarely drank even before pandemic and have not had any real cravings. No noticeable weight loss or gain either.

by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 12:52 PM

I had a solid gym routine prior to Covid, and once everything shut down, I immediately knew if I gave into the fear and anxiety surrounding the pandemic, I'd wind up on the couch smoking weed every day and eating tons of snacks while stoned. Luckily I had dumbbells and the Beachbody app, so from day one of being stuck home, I made working out 4-5 days a week part of my new routine. It paid off nicely. I went from a fairly fit 161 lbs to a much leaner and muscular 148 over the past year. I'm in the best shape I've been in in years, and the best part is that on the weekends I still get stoned and eat a bunch of snacks and junk, but it's all offset by my workouts and healthy eating during the week!

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 1:02 PM

Discipline is much harder since the pandemic hit. I really have to struggle and not buy gelato every week.

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 2:14 PM

r20, which program did you use? I've done Body Beast and the one with the hot guy, Josh?

by Anonymousreply 22April 8, 2021 2:54 PM

I had my first physical in a year on Monday. Gained 35 lbs. Fuck this year.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2021 5:39 PM

I eat myself

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2021 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!