Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife first clip

They Baby Yoda’d the Stay Puft marshmallow man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2021 3:23 PM

I think at least half the magic of the original film was Elmer Bernstein’s score which they wisely resurrected

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 2:43 PM

I cannot get behind this. None of this looks good. It's like a million miles away from what Ghostbusters was. Ghostbusters is about NYC, tons of ghosts, the actual GHOSTBUSTERS themselves. Heck, I know that the last movie was kind of a bust, but at least it kept things closer to the first two. Big-city ghost-hunting. Not a bunch of kids in the middle of the desert, plus Paul Rudd.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 4:33 PM

I thought it was shitty how the female version of Ghostbusters was ripped apart, all the idiot fanboys who thought their precious original had been wrecked by icky girls seemed to have missed that the female version takes place in an alternate dimension.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 5:07 PM

And that all of the surviving originals gave it their blessing and appeared in it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 6:23 PM

omfg. How fucking cute!

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 6:26 PM

I think it would have been cleverer to make the Walmart a really scary portal to hell rather than home to cutesy ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 6:33 PM

They exaggerated the sounds of the cracklkng wrapper to make it sound like the cracking eggs from this scene

Same music queue too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 6:36 PM

Would rather have a sequel to the original than a movie featuring a bunch of kids.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 9:50 PM

Er, a sequel to the remake

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 9:50 PM

Paul Rudd! 🤤

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 10:14 PM

This looks terrible. Who looked at ghostbusters and thought "single mom raising troubled teens" was the way to go?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2021 3:17 PM

I used to think the original was great when I saw it as a kid. I saw it again recently and it’s pretty lame. Everyone is making it up as they’re going along

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2021 3:20 PM

I rewatched Ghostbusters about 3 or 4 years ago. I thought it had aged pretty well, but that was largely due to the cast. I am not sure those teens have the charisma to carry this off. Although, besides have a good cast, one of the reasons it worked was because it was only about 90 minutes long. It did not stretch out a premise largely designed to give Bill Murray a chance to deliver wisecracks too long.

Paul Rudd still looks good - and looks better than I ever did - but is finally starting to show his age a little bit. He would be a good successor to Bill Murray. I just wish he was playing off of other adults. Not everything needs to be influenced by Stranger Things. At least from her quick shot in the trailer, Annie Potts looks great.

I am probably in the minority, but I would not have minded the female ghost busters get another movie. The movie was a bit mediocre, but liked the characters and they set thinks up well for a sequel, that with tighter writing could have been a decent film. I also would not have minded Hemsworth getting a chance to revise his himbo character.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2021 3:46 PM

The original Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies, and one that I always stop to watch if I catch it while channel surfing. One of the reasons is that it had enough comedy elements to make it a fun movie. This one looks like they're going the teen angst drama route. It may be a good movie on it's own, but may not compare itself well to the original.

I do like the concept of Egon's grandkids finding the traps and the station wagon.

I never saw any of the other versions.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2021 4:56 PM

Not amused. Everything is so calculated and meme-chasing these days. I kind of wish they’d leave old classics alone and stop trying to cash in and franchise everything.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2021 5:02 PM

I love the trailer. It looks like a great action flick.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2021 7:42 PM

Awwwww, r3 and r4, the mean boys are so mean, and daddy never hugged you, did he? waaaaah! Waaaahhh!

(It sucked. People hated it. It was stupid. Get over it. )

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2021 7:54 PM

I liked the trailer for the nostalgia aspect. They probably included all the old references in the trailer, but I’m hopeful for more. Loved the Ray cameo at the end. I’d like to see Dan Ackroyd show up to help his buddy Egon’s grandkids.

So Egon finally hooked up with Janine and had at least one kid? Good for Janine- Egon was always my favorite Ghostbuster.

Poor Louis Tully, though. I wonder what happened to him. Maybe he finally got Dana Barrett and her ugly kid Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2021 8:06 PM

There's no point to this, there was no point to the all female remake either - the original was lightening in a bottle, all the right people falling together at the right time - and the Ghostbusters were quintessentially male figures, as in men - not kids and not women.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2021 8:20 PM

I watched the new trailer.

Isn't Ghostbusters supposed to be a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2021 10:48 PM

Yeah I am sold on the new film with this trailer.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2021 10:56 PM

Made me miss Egon.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2021 12:22 AM

[Quote] And that all of the surviving originals gave it their blessing and appeared in it.

Bill's cameo was awkward. I think Winston's was the best.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2021 6:59 AM

I just watched the trailer and it seems the film is clearly modelled on Stranger Things (right down to the casting!). It might be decent, although they should probably have made it it’s own thing instead of slapping the name ‘Ghostbusters’ onto it and adding some fan-baiting cameos. Or maybe I’m just a cynic.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2021 8:58 AM

Well said, R14. Ghostbusters is my all time favourite film, and I feel like what I've seen in the trailer does the original justice whilst also updating some narratives to appeal to a whole new generation. I miss Harold Ramis but I do feel like he has been honoured (and I hope this proves to be true).

Can't wait to see this in the cinema. I hope my local replays the original leading up to Afterlife's release, I'd get a real kick out of seeing it on the big screen!

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2021 1:48 PM

Illeana Douglas looks great!

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2021 2:36 PM

R3: The first two movies never treated Janine like an idiot the way this movie treated the male secretary like one.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2021 3:09 PM

Sure, but Chris Hemsworth’s idiot secretary was my favorite part of the 2016 Ghostbusters. He does comedy so well.

He was an dumb actor/model who took the secretary gig to make some money. It wasn’t his career like it was for Janine.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2021 3:17 PM

Which proves what an unnecessary venture it was if the only laughs they can get are from treating men worse than the original treats women.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2021 3:19 PM

Not the only laughs, but the most laughs. And so what? Who gives a shit if hot ass himbo looking Chris Hemsworth was used as a joke? Kevin didn’t seem to mind.

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2021 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!