Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are today's high points of gay culture?

I'm so utterly out of the loop. Amongst the sea of twinkly crap, gay media used to have at least SOME interesting items. But now, with its obsession on Drag Race and Trans, all I see is utter banality dressed up as diversity. And coming out stories, and teen-longing stories, and tricksy gender-fuck performers, bore me shitless. So what are the best books, songs, shows, persons at the moment that genuinely worthy of attention? The only thing I've seen so far this year that will stand the test of time was Vol 1 of the unexpurgated Chips Channon diaries. And the only non-gay but campy thing that utterly delighted me was I Care A Lot.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 8:45 AM

This is it, Ann Romano.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 7:22 AM

'It's A Sin' rightly won a lot of attention and praise, and the new Francis Bacon biography 'Revelations' looks like a must-read.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 7:39 AM

"But now, with its obsession on Drag Race and Trans, all I see is utter banality dressed up as diversity. And coming out stories, and teen-longing stories, and tricksy gender-fuck performers, bore me shitless. So what are the best books, songs, shows, persons at the moment that genuinely worthy of attention? "

Smell this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 8:26 AM

It’s a wasteland, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 8:30 AM

I see there's a forthcoming book on Tuke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 9:05 AM

DataLounge for a fat, stinking, ugly cunt like OP to spew out her bullshit without any qualms.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 9:08 AM

OP is right we're at a low point.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 1:44 PM

Yes, the best gay themed cultural events I've been seen in the last few years was an LA exhibit called Axis Mundo but really it was an archival exhibit of gay punk LA artists in the 70s-early 90s. It felt so fresh and tactile compared to what's going on now. But maybe there's more underground stuff that in not clued into. Here's hoping.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 2:07 PM

The Bacon bio does look great. Buckets of Bollinger and sex with a legless Moroccan who pushed himself along on a trolly. Very Auntie Mame!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 3:10 PM

Drag Race is the gay equivalent of WWE wrestling.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 3:15 PM

[quote]The Bacon bio does look great. Buckets of Bollinger

Indeed, 'Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends' was one of Miss F's hearty toasts as she raised a glass...

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 3:35 PM

Tik-Tok exhibitionists.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 4:10 PM

R2 and R9, I assumed you were both referring to Sir Francis Bacon, Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 5:11 PM

Unless you love trans stories of triumph, you might be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 5:14 PM

Gay culture? Is this a joke?

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2021 5:15 PM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2021 5:17 PM

Our current political climate is like WWE wrestling to the degree the word "kayfabe" is being used casually.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote]I assumed you were both referring to Sir Francis Bacon, Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England.

An easy error to make, given DL's catholicity of interest. But no, it's the painter who didn't mind too much being thrown through a plate-glass window by a sadistic lover who is of slightly the keener interest.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2021 6:14 PM

The bisexual thing among Zees is interesting... for now.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote] I assumed you were both referring to Sir Francis Bacon, Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England.

At least Sir Francis had good taste in men. Welsh was his sleeping partner preference. And he wrote that immortal line about the true line of beauty being drawn with a crooked hand.

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2021 6:34 PM

Is gay culture dead?

by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2021 6:37 PM

Interesting question. Some comparisons to black culture - at its prime in the 60s-70s when identification of being black was about cultural and social similarities - African tribal behaviors, natural afros, dashikis Then subsumed by the shared history of slavery. Then overtaken by current day police mistreatment.

Gay history in its prime in the 70s focused on shared cultural and social similarities - sexual crusing, machismo, shared secret language. It then became about being victims. Then about being legally discriminated against participating in heterosexual traditions.

Both types of identify “culture” have become irrelevant in a world of greater equality. The identification as “other” with separate distinct interests seems unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2021 7:47 PM

Gay culture also no longer has a unifying cause. Certainly not Trans. I’d wager the great swathe of gay men and lesbians don’t really give a fuck about trans issues apart from wishing them well, and (like mainstream society) the lesbians hoping the barely transitioned ones won’t use their changing rooms, and the men hoping they won’t fuck one by mistake. Un-PC of course, but the raw truth. And that’s hardly the stuff that makes a movement or culture. The only gay culture that exists now in the West is shopping.

by Anonymousreply 23April 8, 2021 12:51 PM

I don’t know anymore. I believe gay culture and rights are a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 24April 8, 2021 1:30 PM

THIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 8, 2021 1:31 PM

Does that also come with some Hai Karate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 8, 2021 3:02 PM

Ryan Murphy’s productions. I can’t think of anything else.

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2021 7:49 AM

James Charles, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2021 8:27 AM

It's interesting no one has anything to add. Gay culture IS dead.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2021 8:34 AM

Yeah. *crickets* But it really IS hard to think of any meaningful stuff. 20 & 30 years ago that would not have been the case.

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2021 8:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!