Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton

Dolly's version is still the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2021 5:39 AM

Dolly bringing it live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2021 5:55 AM

Absolutely.

That crack whore over sang this beautiful song

Dolly makes you feel it. Whitney bellows and ululates.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2021 6:00 AM

Indeed. In fact I don’t even know that Dolly herself could replicate the purity of her original 1973 recording.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2021 6:10 AM

OP No it's not, hoe.

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2021 6:14 AM

Whitney's version is all high notes, no soul

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2021 6:18 AM

Not even Dolly think it's her song anymore. Sorry, but Whitney owns the song.

And I love Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2021 6:20 AM

Blasphemy ^

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2021 6:21 AM

Dolly owns the song literally since she wrote it and still collects all publishing royalties of Whitney's version

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2021 6:22 AM

Dolly wrote a beautiful song, but Whitney did a masterful interpretation of it. She was that good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2021 6:26 AM

shut up please

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2021 6:36 AM

Whitney definitely gave it her own interpretation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2021 6:38 AM

Someone commented on DL once that Whitney's bellowing version makes the song sound like the threat of a deranged frau stalker who refuses to accept that the object of her affection and lust does not even know who she is. I agree with that poster completely. There is nothing gentle or poignant about Whitney's version.

To me comparing their versions is like comparing traditional gymnastics with the modern equivalent. Whitney's showboating is like the current gymnasts. Just one backflip after another, all acrobatics and no feeling whatsoever. Dolly's version actually makes me believe her heartbreak.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2021 7:35 AM

I like Dolly very much. She seems like that rarity: a genuinely nice, kind person. However, I will NEVER forget the first time I heard Whitney Houston sing that song. It was revelatory. I'd never heard a voice like that or been so exhilarated and uplifted by a singer before. It was perfection. Don't get me wrong, Dolly's version is excellent, but Whitney's version is for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2021 9:39 AM

Whitney was a master interpreter of song and lyric.

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2021 9:59 AM

R14, AGREED!

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2021 5:49 AM

Dolly wrote this about her break up with Porter Wagoner.

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2021 5:53 AM

Dolly is a smart, smart woman. She knew the importance of songwriting and retaining rights, telling that asswipe Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis she was not going to give up any of her publishing rights to those swindlers.

by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2021 5:55 AM

Elvis wanted to cover it but the Colonel demanded half the publishing rights to his version of the song which Dolly declined.

by Anonymousreply 18April 8, 2021 5:55 AM

Linda Ronstadt did a lovely version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 8, 2021 5:57 AM

Whitney is singing-shouting this song.

by Anonymousreply 20April 8, 2021 6:06 AM

How much did that lecherous creepy guy who was holding her hostage on that show and seemed to own her as an indentured servant make off of the song, even if it was what bought her her freedom?

by Anonymousreply 21April 8, 2021 6:13 AM

I was over Whitney's version the first time I heard it

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2021 4:58 AM

Whitney’s version gives me an ice cream headache.

Dolly for the win, with Linda a close second.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2021 5:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!