Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Trial of Derek Chauvin

Looks like we are getting wall to wall coverage of this. It’s on every network.

Predictions on the verdict?

by Anonymousreply 596April 5, 2021 4:16 AM

There’s 6 white people on the jury. He’s going to be found not-guilty. We’ve seen this movie before. Minneapolis will burn to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2021 2:14 PM

As much as I want Chauvin to rot in prison with the rest of the murders, I'm pretty confident he will get manslaughter after a long jury deliberation.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2021 2:25 PM

r1 non-black jurors are more likely to vote guilty this time around unless given permission by other jurors. but if he's given a lighter sentence than the max, we'll see helicopter coverage of the white jurors in racing down the highway in a bronco as media directs protesters to their current route as twitter reveals their ids and location of the children's schools and rooftop koreans protect their stores for oncoming mobs of outraged trustfund white kids in riotgear.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2021 2:49 PM

There’s no way he’ll be found guilty of murder

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2021 2:52 PM

I hope Chauvin walks out a free man. It is outrageous that he is being subjected to a show trial for political purposes. Floyd died of a heart attack caused by his drug overdose and the exertions of violently resisting arrest. George Floyd was such a scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Race-baiting Troll R5^^^

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2021 2:55 PM

If George Floyd was “violently resisting arrest,” he would’ve died from an overdose of hot lead when they put 30 bullets in his ass. R5 never even saw the footage.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2021 2:57 PM

The prosecution is going to have a tough time proving intent to kill.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2021 2:59 PM

Why was the Floyd family already awarded a huge amount of money before the trial?

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2021 3:00 PM

R9 that definitely wasn’t a good look. That will taint the jury

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2021 3:02 PM

R7 It's you that hasn't seen the footage. Floyd was on the ground for a reason. The cops had to put him there, and keep him there, because he had been violently resisting arrest. He was off his head on fentanyl. Floyd had previous convictions for armed robbery and violent assault. It's unfortunate that he died, I suppose, but it's his own fault, not Chauvin's.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2021 3:04 PM

Couldn't they have just cuffed him behind his back and put him in the back of the cop car?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2021 3:07 PM

R11 You sound like my hyper-racist Karen mother who is vehemently racist but thinks they're saintly. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2021 3:09 PM

No, R12, it clearly shows in the police handbook that the proper procedure is to kneel on the perp’s neck for 9 minutes while he’s face down on the ground. Right, R11? That poor Derek Chauvin, he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2021 3:10 PM

I'm watching and have never seen this long version. That cop is fucked!

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2021 3:11 PM

R14 Yes, the police were frightfully rude to poor George. I would imagine that he was very cross at their impertinence. Never mind the fact that he is a known violent criminal who had been violently resisting arrest and was out of his head on fentanyl. Oh, and the fact that he was complaining about breathing problems BEFORE he was on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2021 3:12 PM

R5 must be taking a break from posting in the UberEats thread

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2021 3:13 PM

The white woman witness with the phone who called 911 on that cop will be testifying.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2021 3:14 PM

R13 Your mom sounds like a great lady who tells it like it is, even if it upsets her race-obsessed offspring.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2021 3:15 PM

Regardless of what crimes that man committed, HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO LOSE HIS LIFE BY A COP EXECUTIONER!

I'm a middle-aged white man who has driven drunk, bought illegal drugs, flown with illegal drugs--but I'm regarded as generally mild-mannered, professional, and affable...who is white. I also have consumed legal painkillers in high doses while working professionally. With that in mind, If I were to be arrested for any of these crimes, this wouldn't have happened to me. However, If I were black, it likely could've been the end of me. Anyone blaming Floyd for his murder because of his past crimes or his painkillers needs to take a long hard look at yourself and how your color grants you different treatment by society.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2021 3:18 PM

This was the first time I’d seen the video with audio...that was...jarring.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2021 3:18 PM

R20 Floyd didn't die because he was black. He died of a heart attack brought on by violently resisting arrest while high on fentanyl.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2021 3:20 PM

They’ll get a guilty on the manslaughter charge but I’m skeptical about the murder charges, even third degree. I don’t think the jury will buy it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2021 3:20 PM

R22 go away, troll

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2021 3:21 PM

Al Sharpton in town today trying to stir up things more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2021 3:30 PM

I think the video of the witnesses to this murder yelling at the cop to take his knee off his neck and that he was unresponsive will go a long way with the jury. That cop didn't once let up on his neck.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2021 3:31 PM

The state wasn't satisfied with the cause of death by the doc who performed the autopsy so they hired another doctor for his/her opinion.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2021 4:01 PM

God help America the day this verdict comes in

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]Oh, and the fact that he was complaining about breathing problems BEFORE he was on the ground.

Personally, I alway prefer my perps to exhibit breathing problems BEFORE I kneel on their necks.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2021 4:09 PM

Just getting my list ready for Dollar General and Target!

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote] Floyd died of a heart attack caused by his drug overdose and the exertions of violently resisting arrest.

[quote]Oh, and the fact that he was complaining about breathing problems BEFORE he was on the ground.

Which is it, that he suffered a heart attack by resisting arrest, or that he was already having a heart attack BEFORE he resisted arrest?

I don't actually expect you to have any logical response to this, I've seen your COVID-denial posts, you're a full and complete moron.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2021 4:27 PM

And Muriel lets him run wild. Anything for that extra 2 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2021 4:35 PM

As others have noted, I think he's more likely to get manslaughter and even if he is convicted, it will likely be turned over on appeal. I'm not saying it's right or fair, but it appears to be the most realistic outcome.

I wonder if Chauvin's poor policing record can be introduced to show that this guy clearly had a pattern; if Floyd's conduct leading up to his death is admissible, surely Chauvin's police record and other run-ins should be too

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote]And Muriel lets him run wild. Anything for that extra 2 bucks.

Preaching to the choir toots, preaching to the mother fucking choir.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2021 4:51 PM

WHY is this on every channel? I guess they timed it with spring break so everyone can have the week off, right?

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2021 4:59 PM

r32 considering the UberEats thread was deleted but has now been reposted and has attracted the same vile racism ... I think Muriel is on a bender

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2021 5:12 PM

The interesting thing about the first UberEats thread is that I already had literally every single one of those racists on ignore from previous threads. They're also ignored on this thread, too. It's the same people, over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2021 5:41 PM

The dispatcher that just testified called her sargent because she felt something was wrong at the scene since the cops hadn't moved to do anything in quite a while. First she checked to find out if her camera screen had frozen. Nope. That testimony makes the cops look pretty bad since she had never encounted that situation before.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2021 5:41 PM

Will the defense attack George's character by playing his graphic sex tape, which I'm surprised is still available online?

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2021 5:45 PM

R39, ugh I hope not. Floyd wasn't a model citizen but he didn't deserve to die.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2021 6:00 PM

R33 That tape is damning. I think there is a good chance the jury comes back with a 2nd or 3rd degree murder charge. However, I do agree the conviction will probably be tossed out on appeal.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2021 6:01 PM

There were so many people kneeling, I thought I was watching a basketball game.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2021 6:18 PM

You guys know if they'll broadcast the entire trial every day live?

Some of these proceedings are extremely boring. The prosecutor spent hours going over every little boring detail with that 911 dispatcher that doesn't seem relevant, but when he finally asked the most important question (that what she saw disturbed her enough to call a supervisor) he didn't really emphasize it and ended the questioning. Didn't give her a chance to really make a point and tell the jury how she felt. Is that not allowed?

Also, what is Chauvin writing in his notebook all the time? Is he taking notes or is he bored and not paying attention?

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote] Also, what is Chauvin writing in his notebook all the time?

Probably the first draft of his book on how the prosecutor tried to throw him to the wolves to get the future black vote.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2021 7:25 PM

OMG! Who is this child (the second witness)?

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2021 7:28 PM

Next chick seems extremely dim, bored and annoyed. I'm afraid she's falling asleep up there.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2021 7:30 PM

This witness!

Q: You said you grew up in Arizona?

A: Yup.

Q: Where in Arizona?

A: Um, just Arizona.

Q: The whole state?

A: Yup.

Q: When did you come to Minnesota?

A: I dunno. A while ago.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2021 7:31 PM

She "seen..."

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2021 7:34 PM

This girl can't even answer basic questions. Is she on drugs?

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2021 7:35 PM

Her eyelashes are hilarious!!

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2021 7:37 PM

I hope this young woman isn't reflective of the jury.

And, while testifying, her phone rings in 3...2...

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2021 7:38 PM

She's making the prosecutor work extra hard.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2021 7:39 PM

This gal just woke up an hour ago.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2021 7:40 PM

She should have dressed up a little (better than a T-shirt) if she knew she was going to court today.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2021 7:41 PM

11th grade dropout from Frostbite Falls High.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2021 7:42 PM

Can someone post a screen shot??

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2021 7:42 PM

How long before she says “yeah, I’m done” and stumbles out?

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2021 7:43 PM

Here you go, r56:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2021 7:46 PM

Hahaaaaa thanks so much r58!!!

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2021 7:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2021 7:46 PM

She seems so uncomfortable. It was annoying at first, but I've since sensed she is very self-conscious about her jacked up teeth; her hand is always at her mouth like she's trying to hide them.

She's a basic burn out who's probably smoked way too much weed; her memory is shit.

Oddly enough, I like her.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2021 7:47 PM

I'm confused. The cops had George Floyd in the back of the cop car in handcuffs so why did they then remove him from the vehicle?

by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2021 7:47 PM

R58, that twitter guy's description is hilarious and spot-on. She reminds me so much of those girls who acted bored in class and were just biding their time until their next smoke break.

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2021 7:48 PM

"the bald officer"

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2021 7:49 PM

She’s already a hashtag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2021 7:51 PM

umm-hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 66March 29, 2021 7:52 PM

It's too much for CNN, they just stopped the live coverage.

by Anonymousreply 67March 29, 2021 7:56 PM

I give it a week before TMZ is accosting her outside of LAX as she flies in to begin her rap career as Bhad Whitness.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2021 7:56 PM

She must be the worst witness ever. What were these prosecutors thinking?

by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2021 7:57 PM

Is no one wearing a mask?

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2021 7:58 PM

I think we just found the new Kato Kaelin.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2021 7:58 PM

The defense gets its chance to grill this witness:

"No questions, Your Honor."

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2021 8:06 PM

Are there any Asians on the jury?

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2021 8:14 PM

From Twitter @RipItUpTearItUp · 6m Prosecution was hoping for Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny and got stuck with the head nodder at the methadone clinic

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2021 8:18 PM

According to MSNBC what the prosecutor was doing is getting testimony from her attesting to recording the video's so they could be admitted into evidence and the jury could use them in their deliberations R69. All the other stuff was superfluous and they achieved what they set out to do.

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2021 8:20 PM

An attorney can spend months prepping a witness, but nothing can 100% simulate the atmosphere of an actual courtroom during the actual trial.

Especially for a person who isn't at all used to being the center of attention actually BEING the center of attention while being a witness in a trial with international import. I'm a naturally verbal person with a very facile mind, but I don't shit on those whose minds and verbal facilities are less than mind.

99% of the time, all this chick is responsible for is checking people out at a convenience store. And she's currently unemployed, and likely hasn't the ready cash to buy a whole entire courtroom outfit.

Cut the young lady some slack.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2021 8:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2021 8:53 PM

What R76 said...you all sound like a bunch of elitist snobs. You're the reason Republicans hate us.

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2021 9:52 PM

I hopefully tuned into BBC World News tv broadcast and they were even carrying this nonsense. Floyd's brothers lamenting his loss..while thinking twenty seven million dollars for that drug runner..only in the US.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2021 10:29 PM

R75 is right. She's a foundation witness. They had to put her on the stand if they wanted to use her videos as evidence

before an exhibit (her video) can be offered into evidence, the prosecutor must prove to the court that it is authentic. She is testifying that she took the video and hasn't altered it. Without her testimony, the videos couldn't be used as evidence

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] while thinking twenty seven million dollars for that drug runner..only in the US

Only in the U.S is right. Everywhere else the dirty, murderous cops would try to hide this. Not in America. The cops gleefully torture and slowly murder people, right on a city street with dozens watching

And they do it while keeping their hands in their pockets

$27 million was a FUCKING BARGAIN. If this went to court, they'd have had to easily pay $100 million

And you know what? Not a single dirty cop in America will be fired this month. not one. Every single city in America is gladly willing to risk a $27 million dollar judgement to protect their criminal cops. Only in America, where Jesus is you're national mascot. of course the entire world is watching. That's because the rest of the world has NEVER SEEN SUCH A BIGGER BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES, who deserve everything they get

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2021 11:01 PM

Hold up... theres a sex tape?

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2021 11:17 PM

Floyd was the ultimate 'baby boy'. Flitting from gig to gig; city to city; staying here, staying there; doping, thieving... leaving a trail of babies behind him. While surrounded by enablers who let him stay age 16 4ever.

He was headed nowhere.

If he had done what the cops told him to do (after passing counterfeit money) he'd still be alive. But the rules didn't apply to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2021 11:28 PM

Can the city appeal the $27 million judgment? It's about $24 million too much.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2021 11:34 PM

What ever happened to dressing properly for court?? She could’ve stopped by the local Lane Bryant, for a smart dress, or a classy blouse and slacks.

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2021 11:34 PM

R85, she is UNEMPLOYED. Do you know what that does to one's wardrobe?

Seriously though, I get your point, but it's rare to see an under-25 person dressing up for ANYTHING, and that's across the regional, racial, and class spectrum. And the prosecution would have been in big trouble had they bought her clothing you'd deem appropriate.

I've no doubt the prosecution told the young lady she was just as R75 and R80 describe, a foundational witness testifying only about the 7 videos she filmed. She's not going to be on the stand for days and days.

And I'm glad the lead prosecutor and the judge were much kinder to her than you lot on social media.

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2021 12:26 AM

I'm so disappointed at the treatment she will receive, just leave her be. She doesn't deserve ridicule.

Chauvin needs to be convicted. I just wish he had pleaded guilty- he could have taken all of the wind out of this, carried his cross, done something noble and diffused some of the rage he absolutely caused. I know he would never, but I just wish he had. Can you imagine what would have happened if he just said, "I'm guilty. I did wrong."

Think the Nazis will have him in prison? They hate cops.

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2021 1:09 AM

Chauvin did want to plead, R87. He was willing to plead to 3rd-degree murder. Then-Trump AG William Barr nixed it. According to NYT Barr was afraid that protesters would see that as too lenient.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2021 1:36 AM

R88, that’s inaccurate. There was some initial maneuvering that involved Barr and potential federal charges, but nothing came of it. The charges Chauvin is faced with are state charges, not federal. Barr couldn’t stop them even if he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2021 2:00 AM

🙍 When Ms. Oyler took the stand, I thought I was watching SNL.

by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2021 5:57 AM

She may not be on the stand to days and days, r86, but she will be forever in our minds and hearts.

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2021 6:02 AM

R82, Indeed there is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2021 6:09 AM

Why are people picking on this obviously disadvantaged young woman?

by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2021 6:16 AM

That video of the cop on Floyd's neck for almost 10mins is still disturbing even a year later. But my first reaction was - there're 15 people screaming, shouting, trying to help somehow. Why didn't anyone just kick or drag this cop off of him? Why were they all just watching him die and no one was helping? I'm from Europe and cops don't shoot you that easily so I'm sure in Europe that man would still be alive. Someone here would have attacked that mfer and dragged him away from his victim, but in the States you probably also end up dead if you interfere and try to help. Try this shit in Europe and that angry mob would have kicked this cop's ass.

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2021 6:17 AM

Presumably the supporters of the cop would be Chauvinists. Probably White Chauvinists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2021 6:45 AM

R93 We’re bemused by her appearance. Disadvantaged, sure, but a slob nonetheless. My gran was an illiterate country bumpkin who only ever had three outfits in her closet. One to wash, one to wear and her Sunday best. She would have had the sense to wear her Sunday best to court.

by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2021 7:14 AM

Even if you're young and unemployed, most people still have nice clothes for birthdays, weddings, graduation or church and would choose to wear something nice for a court appearance. If you're really that poor and only own a bunch of old t-shirts, ask a friend if you can borrow a dress or suit.

by Anonymousreply 97March 30, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote] Disadvantaged, sure, but a slob nonetheless.

Slobs rule the fashion world. These jeans probably cost Sofia $400.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 30, 2021 7:32 AM

r85 r96 Exactly. Lots of young and unemployed people still have no problem getting money for tattoos, dyed hair, phones, etc. - their priorities. Those slobs simply have no respect for court to dress properly (this can be done super cheap). r97 True but this kind of people do not care about church.

by Anonymousreply 99March 30, 2021 7:44 AM

[quote]$27 million was a FUCKING BARGAIN. If this went to court, they'd have had to easily pay $100 million

Let me ask you this, if tomorrow we could offer the family the opportunity to bring George Floyd back to life but they'd have to give the money back, what do you think they would do? I think we all know the answer to that one.

by Anonymousreply 100March 30, 2021 7:57 AM

In other countries they often calculate how much a person made prior to the incident and how much they would have made in the future, they consider the victims age plus additional money if they had to support children or were married. Settlements are usually only a fraction of what you get in the States. After an airplane crash in my country, parents got $50k for an unmarried child, $150-200k for a married person with children.

by Anonymousreply 101March 30, 2021 8:23 AM

R92 Is that actually him?

by Anonymousreply 102March 30, 2021 9:54 AM

I think you can prove whether the drugs killed him or not: get one of two guys matching floyd's basic characteristics (body type, similar drug use history, etc) and figure out if the totality of drugs in Floyd's system would have killed them (or been close). If the prosecution proves that Floyd's tox report wasnt enough to kill someone of similar characteristics, then imo that's good enough for me that Chauvin did it.

by Anonymousreply 103March 30, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote] If the prosecution proves that Floyd's tox report wasnt enough to kill someone of similar characteristics, then imo that's good enough for me that Chauvin did it.

He also had covid. Calculate the combined risk factor of that PLUS the drug overdoses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2021 11:22 AM

R20 [quote]However, If I were black, it likely could've been the end of me.

Acidifying to US statistics, no it would not "likely" have been the end. You ACTUALLY would be VERY likely to survive, regardless of your race. The idea that there is a police epidemic of black killings is a false narrative (NOTE the key word, 'epidemic'; the VAST majority of police stops of black people end non-violently, but racist police exist and are a big problem). Do you woke goofballs ever think about the crazy shit you parrot? If police regularly kill black people without cause, there wouldn't be anybody left. It's such a ridiculous idea that you're "likely" to be ended. Smh this country god help us

by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2021 11:23 AM

I received a jury summons last week, and the dress code for jurors was listed as "business casual."

If you're a convenience store employee, the tee shirt would certainly be considered " business casual." Perhaps it should have been one of those dressy tuxedo tees.

by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2021 12:18 PM

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but what reason did Chauvin give for removing Floyd from the police cruiser after he had already been restrained?

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2021 12:50 PM

Chauvin removed Floyd from the cruiser because there wasn't enough room inside the cruiser for Chauvin to comfortably kneel on Floyd's neck for 9+ minutes without getting a leg cramp.

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2021 2:14 PM

Obviously Chauvin isn't going to say "I removed him to kill him" r108.

And surely he's been asked.

Has he ever supplied any kind of answer?

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2021 2:17 PM

The defence repeatedly made the point that "the car was rocking from side to side" when Floyd was inside so I guess they claim he was violent in there and they tried to calm him down with their special technique of 3 grown men sitting on top of him.

by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2021 2:35 PM

Chauvin clearly isn’t right in the head and should not have been a cop given his history.

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2021 2:47 PM

What's his history, r111? Didn't he have a long history of complaints?

He also screams domestic abuser to me -- as do most of these cops.

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2021 2:49 PM

Is it just me or is this attorney bullying the witness?

by Anonymousreply 113March 30, 2021 2:54 PM

[quote] they tried to calm him down with their special technique of 3 grown men sitting on top of him.

Chauvin should not be the only one on trial for murder. What about the other two officers, and the fourth one who stood by while it happened?

by Anonymousreply 114March 30, 2021 2:54 PM

A white attorney bullying a black witness who knows what he's talking about....

Where have we seen that before?

by Anonymousreply 115March 30, 2021 2:57 PM

Chauvin shows absolutely no remorse for what he's done.

Neither do the other officers involved.

They all deserve to do time in the big house.

by Anonymousreply 116March 30, 2021 3:00 PM

The white defense attorney just told the black witness that he wasn't trying to confuse him.

Well, that certainly clears that up !

by Anonymousreply 117March 30, 2021 3:03 PM

When a person is on drugs the part of their brain that stops the body from damaging itself through exertion is subdued, adrenaline would've been pumping through Derek as well. Chauvin was high off his ass and would've had super strength in that moment, he would've torn that car apart and a single cop would not have been able to restrain him. That's why they had him pinned down.

by Anonymousreply 118March 30, 2021 3:03 PM

R118, in Minnesota EMTs can administer ketamine. They should've left him restrained, waited for EMT's, administer sedative, transported him to the hospital. The cops killed him.

by Anonymousreply 119March 30, 2021 3:06 PM

This guy can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 120March 30, 2021 3:07 PM

🤥 Whatever you say, r118.

Chauvin's a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 121March 30, 2021 3:08 PM

So he's left unrestrained, goes on frenzy because paranoia and anger has kicked in with the cops about, he causes damage and possibly injures innocent civilians. Who do the press and public blame? The cops who were standing back and watching this situation unfold. The police had to act.

by Anonymousreply 122March 30, 2021 3:09 PM

Acting is one thing.

Murder is another thing.

by Anonymousreply 123March 30, 2021 3:11 PM

I 💕 this witness.

He's honest and not at all intimidated by the sleazeball defense attorney.

by Anonymousreply 124March 30, 2021 3:14 PM

You've never made a mistake? Theses officers were in a highly stressful situation, they were acting on instinct. Sadly, these officers were put in a situation they shouldn't have been in, they didn't have the adequate training for it. Floyd shouldn't have been high as hell either. Floyd was a criminal, he was acting aggressively, he is a big guy and clearly exhibiting signs of drug abuse. They acted, it went wrong and now everyone wants to show how awful the police are by having this guy put in prison for the rest of his life, when the majority of people complaining about this situation have never had an ounce of stress in their life.

by Anonymousreply 125March 30, 2021 3:15 PM

I've hade stress in my life, as does every other human being on the planet.

I've also made my share of mistakes.

But not one single mistake has ever resulted in murder. Not even do much as a well deserved PussyWhipping.

by Anonymousreply 126March 30, 2021 3:20 PM

Yeah, I'm sure you've been the exact same situation those officers were in. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 127March 30, 2021 3:25 PM

Please don't engage r125. He wrote the same racist bs on the last thread until Muriel deleted it. Don't get this thread cancelled. Ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 128March 30, 2021 3:26 PM

R128 Tell me, what did I write?

by Anonymousreply 129March 30, 2021 3:28 PM

Did the officer intend to kill the Floyd?

by Anonymousreply 130March 30, 2021 3:29 PM

^If you put your knee on someone's neck for 9 mins, I guess you do.

by Anonymousreply 131March 30, 2021 3:31 PM

R130 Highly unlikely, he had to use extreme restraint as a result of the extreme behavior of Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 132March 30, 2021 3:32 PM

R118 = "That big Black monster would have ripped apart the reinforced police car if they left him in it handcuffed. But an officer applying a hands-free knee to his neck was enough to restrain him handcuffed. But of course it was not enough pressure to strangle him. Just a little."

Do you racists even HEAR yourselves???

by Anonymousreply 133March 30, 2021 3:41 PM

R133 Did I mention ANYWHERE about him being black? No. But you had to turn it on race because that's all people like you see, race. Anyone, including white people if that makes you feel better, on drugs are dangerous and unpredictable or are you insinuating the opposite to fit your agenda? Or worse, are you insinuating that Floyd wasn't as affected by the drugs as a person from another race would be and his madness at the time was completely in character for him? Was it just Derek restraining him, no? It took several guys to keep him down and with obviously extreme pressure. But why let that get in the way of your little race baiting crusade.

Do you racists even HEAR yourselves?

by Anonymousreply 134March 30, 2021 3:48 PM

Chauvin is a dead man walking whether he's found guilty or not.

by Anonymousreply 135March 30, 2021 3:51 PM

🤔 I blame Chauvin AND Trump.

by Anonymousreply 136March 30, 2021 4:01 PM

R100, you get the prize for stupidest observation of the day. The question should be would George Floyd rather be here or have $27 million go to his family? Now what’s your answer??? What his family is has no relation to what happened that day.

by Anonymousreply 137March 30, 2021 4:36 PM

Holy shit that little girl's testimony was heartbreaking. I'm glad the defense had enough restraint to not cross.

by Anonymousreply 138March 30, 2021 4:59 PM

The defense blundered in the way the questioned the 17 year old. The answers she gave during the re-direct were harrowing.

by Anonymousreply 139March 30, 2021 5:05 PM

R125 You are absolutely right but of course the 'progressives' need their 10-minute Hate.

by Anonymousreply 140March 30, 2021 5:06 PM

R139, the defense just setup the perfect testimony for the prosecution. They were trying to insinuate the 17 yo was benefiting from the social media attention, then WHAM. Her life changed because of trauma and psychological damage.

by Anonymousreply 141March 30, 2021 5:07 PM

R140, you want to call it a mistake? Fine. He should pay for a huge mistake he made, in accordance with the law. Twenty five to life sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 142March 30, 2021 5:14 PM

Yup R141. Watching the defense’s questioning, I felt sleazy. Also, the way he tried to paint Donald Miller as the “angry black guy”, ugh. But none of it surprises me that much, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 143March 30, 2021 5:14 PM

Say WHaT, R100 ........

Why don't you 'splain it to us dumb fucks cause we all so stupid.

Explain it slowly and carefully, you bigoted moron. You can even use some big words if you know any.

by Anonymousreply 144March 30, 2021 5:22 PM

R89---Chauvinism was indeed willing to take 10 years and plead to 3rd-degree murder. But he wanted to serve in a Fed facility and wanted a guarantee of no Federal charges if he pled to a state murder charge. Barr nixed it. This was reported by CBS as well as NYT, and there have been no retraction.

Chauvin has also been willing to plead in other deal scenarios refused by Fruit of Islam wife-beater state AG Keith Ellison.

Larger point being, it is untrue this trial is happening because Chauvin refuses to take any responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 145March 30, 2021 5:24 PM

Why the fuck does this need to be televised on CNN and MSNBC all fucking day? They can't just show highlights during their regular broadcasts? It's ridiculous with all the other shit happening right now.

by Anonymousreply 146March 30, 2021 5:24 PM

R146. Turn it off if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 147March 30, 2021 5:28 PM

R100 maybe your family will choose $24,000,000 to have you dead and gone...

by Anonymousreply 148March 30, 2021 5:35 PM

R135, I just looked up what's happening with Kyle Rittenhouse (his trial has been pushed back 7 months, Nov 1st now). He's out on bail - right wingers have donated tons and tons of money to him and his family. That'd probably happen for Chauvin if he got off.

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2021 5:36 PM

There seems to be a common and pervasive personality/mentality in this neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote]And you know what? Not a single dirty cop in America will be fired this month. not one. Every single city in America is gladly willing to risk a $27 million dollar judgement to protect their criminal cops. Only in America, where Jesus is you're national mascot. of course the entire world is watching. That's because the rest of the world has NEVER SEEN SUCH A BIGGER BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES, who deserve everything they get

What people outside the US don't understand is that if you had millions American blacks in your countries, you would probably be gassing them. They have it pretty easy in the US compared to what they'd face elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2021 5:45 PM

Nazi trash^^^

by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2021 5:48 PM

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 153March 30, 2021 5:48 PM

So many racists in this thread. Sometimes it feels like DL is overrun by Republican Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 154March 30, 2021 5:49 PM

GF and DC previously worked together at the same bar or nightclub. I am curious to see if any evidence is presented to show they had past conflicts and that DC murdered GF in retaliation. I suspect this was a grudge murder because of the deliberate way DC went about it. He also never imagined suffering any consequences for his actions, 100% believed he was going to kill the guy and then go about the rest of his life unencumbered by blame or penalties. Fuckin pig.

by Anonymousreply 155March 30, 2021 5:49 PM

R92 That is not George Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 156March 30, 2021 5:49 PM

R145/R88 here, cursing auto-correct's perverse insertion of "Chauvinism" in R145.

---It pays to pull the verbatim wording of every homicide charge in play here. This is a weird state with a weird homicide scheme, and they've put different manslaughter charges down along with different murder charges. Some apply specifically to, XYZ by an officer acting unlawfully, as in, out of procedure or duty scope.

People are confused about the different elements required for conviction under these myriad charges. It'd be helpful to have a chart with boxes checked as to which charges require what, especially as to---

Intent that must be proven: Conscious and deliberate? Depraved/reckless disregard for likelihood of harm? Gross negligence? Simple plain old negligence?

Causation that must be proven: Sole/principal cause of death? Versus merely, a likely contributing factor, versus . . . ?

People don't understand the way these elements differ in the various murder and manslaughter charges in play here. We need a color-coded graphic if this is going to be ubiquitous for the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 157March 30, 2021 5:50 PM

I find it amazing that his wife filed for divorce the day after he was arrested. Wives tend to stand by their husbands on trial, but not this one...she gives interviews about how much he sucks.

by Anonymousreply 158March 30, 2021 5:51 PM

meant to post this too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 30, 2021 5:51 PM

Why don't do you just go ahead and call us ni***rs, R151, and call it a day?

by Anonymousreply 160March 30, 2021 5:52 PM

It is true that if American blacks were in other countries they would be treated much, much worse than in the US.

by Anonymousreply 161March 30, 2021 5:53 PM

Either innocent or mistrial

by Anonymousreply 162March 30, 2021 5:59 PM

Your point being, trixie/R161?

We are every bit as American as you--probably more, unless your ancestors arrived here before 1808.

by Anonymousreply 163March 30, 2021 6:00 PM

Fuck off R134 and don't pretend we can't see your deplorable nonsense here and in other threads. Your framing of this is fraught with racist stereotypes and your faux indignation doesn't detract from the depraved stupidity of your "he would have wrecked the car from the inside!" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 164March 30, 2021 6:00 PM

I’m liberal in most things, but I don’t understand why this cop is being hung out to dry over this. Floyd was resisting arrest, was on drugs, and had health problems that ultimately caused his death. I also didn’t get why there was so much controversy over Mike Brown’s death. In that case the kid robbed a store and then tried to attack a cop and take his gun. Why in both these cases did they go after the cops, while ignoring the circumstances that led up to Floyd and Brown’s deaths?

Derek Chauvin should be disciplined over how he restrained Floyd and dismissed from the police. However, this trial is a political farce.

by Anonymousreply 165March 30, 2021 6:05 PM

Block R134 from your feed. Your blood pressure will lower immediately.

by Anonymousreply 166March 30, 2021 6:06 PM

R158, there's a good chance the wife was acting on advice, perhaps even from her spouse or counsel, to protect assets and also her person

by Anonymousreply 167March 30, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]m liberal in most things, but I don’t understand why this cop is being hung out to dry over this.

Because it's what's in fashion right now.

by Anonymousreply 168March 30, 2021 6:07 PM

R167, very true but I can tell I can't imagine not standing by my husband's side regardless of what crime he committed or potential risk...it would be out of loyalty and principle. It speaks to how weak their marriage was.

by Anonymousreply 169March 30, 2021 6:10 PM

Puhlenty of cops are domestic abusers. I would not be surprised if Murderin Voting Fraud Derek Chauvin was also a wife beater. The day he was arrested for this was probably her best day to get away.

by Anonymousreply 170March 30, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote] I don’t understand why this cop is being hung out to dry over this.

Because murder.

by Anonymousreply 171March 30, 2021 6:21 PM

I dunno, R169, it may have been the only way to get $$$ to him for lawyers. Or not. Haven't nosed around to see if that's a Public Defender or free cop-union lawyer there, or private gun in court there. Though, from what we've seen so far he wasn't able to afford major talent.

by Anonymousreply 172March 30, 2021 6:23 PM

How was it murder, r171?

Chauvin didn’t go out to murder Floyd. The cops responded to an incident, and initially tried to simply arrest Floyd without incident. However, the situation escalated to the point where Floyd actively resisted arrest.

Chauvin was wrong in how he tried to subdue Floyd, but he didn’t set out to murder anyone.

by Anonymousreply 173March 30, 2021 6:38 PM

Poor girl who is crying on the stand right now "I feel like we failed him".

by Anonymousreply 174March 30, 2021 6:45 PM

The responding EMTs had to push Cauvin off of Floyd!

by Anonymousreply 175March 30, 2021 6:46 PM

Chauvin is being "hung out to dry" due to the shattering graphic impact of that 9-minute knee clip. The full start-to-finish body cam footage and transcript was suppressed, and we only got it at all months after the fact due to a leak.

Chauvin probably thought his knee pressure was negligible at best. No one would look straight at multiple witnesses and cameras and commit intentional, deliberate murder. The colloquy in which the rookie officers questioned Floyd about what he'd ingested, and in which Floyd said he'd just had COVID, was before Chauvin arrived.

However, Chauvin did know medics were on their way, he did know Floyd was unwell, he did know that though technically resisting, Floyd was no threat once cuffed there on the ground, and he did know Floyd's airways were restricted at two pressure points-- the guy on his back as well as by Chauvin at the neck.

In those circumstances Chauvin's failure to let up or listen when the other cop wanted to, certainly qualified as gross disregard. He's not getting off scot-free unless there's gross error by the prosecutor or judge. He's going down on something. Whether it will satisfy the baying dogs, well, that's a different question.

by Anonymousreply 176March 30, 2021 6:53 PM

Unless he's found guilty of murder there will be unrest. It won't be as bad as if he's found not guilty on all charges, but you can bet that Al Sharpton and the usual suspects will be there egging the crowds on. They were calling for first degree murder charges so that tells you where their heads are at.

by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2021 6:56 PM

r173 as soon as Floyd was subdued on the ground saying that he couldn't breathe Chauvin should have immediately taken his knee off his neck. There was no present danger to his life or anyone elses life and the suspect was apprehended at that point. He didn't. He was on a massive power trip and he's clearly got some screws loose and shouldn't have ever been on the job. I don't think it's "murder", and I don't think the jury will either, but he should absolutely be found guilty of manslaughter. Even if he didn't intend to kill George Floyd, he did thru his own deliberate actions.

by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2021 6:59 PM

It is amazing how people will contort themselves to dance around Chauvin's conduct. He had his full weight on Floyd's neck for over 8 minutes with his hands casually in his pockets at one point. He was not in danger, did not think he was in danger, and clearly did not give a fuck what he was doing to Floyd.

Go play the entire song Stairway to Heaven with 150+ pounds bearing down your neck and see how far you get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2021 7:03 PM

Where the fuck is Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2021 7:08 PM

Even when the paramedics arrived, Chauvin still didn't remove his knee. He's one sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2021 7:12 PM

Well if he didn’t want this to happen to him he shouldn’t of been born black

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2021 7:13 PM

Chauvin reminds me of our schoolyard bully back when I was in the eighth grade. He was the new kid who was a total asshole and nobody liked him. He decided to target one of the kindest and well liked kids in our class. One day after school he jumped him, pinned him face down on the ground, and started pounding him repeatedly on the side of his head. After several blows, he asked him if he'd had enough, and when he didn't respond, he started beating him again. Finally, a couple of adults came outside and pulled him off of his target. He was unconscious, thus the reason he didn't respond. He was in surgery for several hours, and died on the operating table. He was thirteen years old, raised by a single mother because his father passed away at a young age, and had four siblings. His murderer was the son of a doctor, and was never charged with the crime, despite it happening in front of most of our class. I was in a Catholic school at the time. I hadn't thought about this for a good while, but this trial has brought back a lot of unhappy memories.

by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2021 7:14 PM

r183 I get the sense most cops were grade school bullies

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote] Go play the entire song Stairway to Heaven with 150+ pounds bearing down your neck and see how far you get.

I wouldn't be surprised if, during closing arguments, the prosecutor stops talking for ___ minutes to demonstrate just how long that feels like.

by Anonymousreply 185March 30, 2021 7:18 PM

r185 that would be brilliant

by Anonymousreply 186March 30, 2021 7:18 PM

Just to be clear, Chauvin didn't remove his knee even after Floyd lost consciousness. And he was already unconscious and without a pulse when the paramedics arrived.

Now watch while the racists tell us about Black men faking passing out just to lure white cops into thinking they're safe. Or that Chauvin didn't just notice that the supposedly violent, thrashing, and superdangerous Floyd just happened to get real quiet.

by Anonymousreply 187March 30, 2021 7:18 PM

Can they just make the jury watch the actual murder on video? That pretty much says it all.

by Anonymousreply 188March 30, 2021 7:21 PM

It's a common thing to do, R186, to pause and let a certain time elapse. However, this pause would be Stairway to Heaven in length. The parties are given time limits, usually, for closing arguments. Not sure if the prosecutor would want to give up that much time in his/her closing argument.

by Anonymousreply 189March 30, 2021 7:22 PM

R185 and gives each juror a 20 lb weight to hold against the back of their neck during the silence and tell them to imagine instead it's the weight of a whole person.

by Anonymousreply 190March 30, 2021 7:22 PM

Can they make sure they see all of the evidence of that day, as the video does not say it all, despite what the angry mob on here might think.

by Anonymousreply 191March 30, 2021 7:23 PM

I agree, r178.

He should be convicted at least over how he handled the situation; but the accusations of murder by some of the posters on here are uncalled for. I also think it’s obvious that Chauvin should probably have never been allowed to become a cop, as there are many who are unqualified to be in any kind of authority position such as a police officer. However there’s no denying that Floyd had to subdued somehow as he was resisting arrest. He also had underlying health problems that greatly contributed to his death.

by Anonymousreply 192March 30, 2021 7:23 PM

r189 I think it would be almost as effective to have silence for just two mins, and then say, "Now multiple that by 4+"

Because even two minutes of silence would feel like a long time in that setting

by Anonymousreply 193March 30, 2021 7:24 PM

r192 would defend the gassing of the Jews

by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2021 7:24 PM

Of course Al Sharpton is all over this, anything he can use to make the black man look a victim, even if said black man was on drugs, assaulted and threatened a pregnant woman and was resisting arrest.

by Anonymousreply 195March 30, 2021 7:25 PM

R194 Would defend the Nazis if they were black.

by Anonymousreply 196March 30, 2021 7:25 PM

And if we are talking about the Jews, someone should ask Sharpton about the crown heights riot. The blacks have as much love for the Jews as they do for the Asians and the whites.

by Anonymousreply 197March 30, 2021 7:27 PM

R188-- I watched that today for the first time. I am sick to my stomach. That is one of the most brutal things I have ever seen. That was straight up torture. How excruciating painful that had to have been. That motherfucker is sick. He needs to be in prison for the rest of his sorry life I wonder how many other people this sadistic basturd has hurt or killed in his lifetime. How TF did he ever pass a psychological eval? Do they even have to take one anymore before joining the police department?

by Anonymousreply 198March 30, 2021 7:30 PM

I'd be really interested to see if Hollywood would ever make a movie or mini-series about the crown heights riot now. They'd no doubt be to scared to, it doesn't exactly follow the agenda.

by Anonymousreply 199March 30, 2021 7:33 PM

No discussion of race on here is ever productive. It always ends in so many posters screaming "Racist!" no matter what the statement. Its tedious and boring. Chauvin is a piece of shit ,and should (and will) do some time,but that dirtbag's family sure as fuck didnt deserve 25 million dollars for his worthless ass. Had he been white Id feel the same way. Just because hes darler skinned didnt make him any less of a piece of shit . Not that he deserved to die but lets get real. Blacks (not the majority,but enough of them) now see interaction with police as a potential payout ,so they escalate every fucking encounter in the hopes theyll get some money out of it. Ludicrous and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 200March 30, 2021 7:35 PM

Just imagine the brutality Chauvin has committed when no one was around to witness his demented behavior.

by Anonymousreply 201March 30, 2021 7:36 PM

R181 like a Rottweiler with his jaw locked on the neck of their prey.

by Anonymousreply 202March 30, 2021 7:38 PM

R179, you are inferring out of emotion, not fact. You and I in point of fact have no knowledge from that video as to how much or how little weight Chauvin had on Floyd's neck. It's possible it was minimal.

Or not, though "full weight" does seem contraindicated by the autopsy or coroner report stating there was no sign of crushing or injury to the neck or throat.

The problem for Chauvin is, ANY air restriction to a person already observed to be foaming at the mouth from fentanyl, who says they just had COVID, and whose airways are also subject to restriction by a second person at a separate locus point, might be a contributing factor in the kind of heart failure/attack brought on by oxygen restriction--total cutoff or strangulation not required. That's hypoxic heart failure, it was the technical cause of death of many COVID sufferers, actually. Chauvin may not have used full weight or anything near it, to have acted with gross disregard for risk to human life under these circumstances, and to have been a significant contributing factor in this death.

by Anonymousreply 203March 30, 2021 7:39 PM

R183, that's so awful to hear for your sake and that boys. This whole event has been a trigger for me too...was assaulted by a neighborhood white trash kid. Was operated on all night and woke up days later...I hear what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 204March 30, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote]that dirtbag's family sure as fuck didnt deserve 25 million dollars for his worthless ass. Had he been white Id feel the same way.

I would hope you'd "feel" differently if someone you loved were killed in such a brutal and senseless incident

by Anonymousreply 205March 30, 2021 7:41 PM

His family had little or nothing to do with him r205.

by Anonymousreply 206March 30, 2021 7:43 PM

🙄 Oh, please ...... Nobody kneels down for nine minutes with their knees never touching the ground. You bet your butt that the full weight of that officer's body was bearing down on Floyd's neck, and not for just a few brief seconds.

by Anonymousreply 207March 30, 2021 7:44 PM

r198 I couldn't watch the whole video.

My mother has Alzheimer's and saw part of it on TV. She was absolutely horrified, even though she's not all there and very little moves her

Funny to me that a patient with significant cognitive decline can muster more compassion than some of the shit stains on this thread

by Anonymousreply 208March 30, 2021 7:46 PM

It's not up to any of you how much the settlement should be...these things aren't decided lightly. It was highly calculated and determined based on risk and severity. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 209March 30, 2021 7:47 PM

R203, simple physics. Look at the pic at R179, Chauvin is leaning slightly forward and he is kneeling on the ground with his other leg. There is no where else for the bulk of his weight to go--it is physically impossible for him to be shifting the bulk of his weight elsewhere. And if you watch the video, you see he's not making effort to keep his weight off of Floyd. The whole POINT was to keep him weighed down.

And there need not be any sign of injury or crushing to have strangled someone. It is frighteningly easy to cut off someone's airway, and with enough pressure it can lead to them passing out within SECONDS. Which any trained officer knows.

by Anonymousreply 210March 30, 2021 7:47 PM

An aside: I have nine separate racist trolls on this thread blocked.

I like to think they are just a couple of basement dwellers who are clearing their cookies

by Anonymousreply 211March 30, 2021 7:49 PM

Evidently, those who ultimately decided to give a $27 million settlement to Floyd's family did indeed feel that Floyd's life was worth something.

by Anonymousreply 212March 30, 2021 7:50 PM

I only skimmed this thread, but the racism is off the charts. Are all you racists gay? If so, then why aren't you against bigotry in any form?

Chauvin killed Floyd to spite the distraught onlookers. The more they shouted, the more he dug his knee in. He's a monster. He should never see the light of day again.

by Anonymousreply 213March 30, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote]An aside: I have nine separate racist trolls on this thread blocked.

And nobody fucking cares

by Anonymousreply 214March 30, 2021 7:55 PM

[Quote]You and I in point of fact have no knowledge from that video as to how much or how little weight Chauvin had on Floyd's neck. It's possible it was minimal.

It's not just that he was blocking his airways, your carotid arteries are right under your skin and supply your brain with oxygen. You don't need much pressure to block them. You can even block them with your thumb or hand, but definitely with your knee. Cutting the oxygen supply to your brain for 9 mins is fatal so this discussion is ridiculous. You don't need your full body weight to cut the oxygen supply to your brain.

by Anonymousreply 215March 30, 2021 7:57 PM

R213 I've personally known ultra-racist gay men. They also tend to be Republican ass tards that vote against their own self-interests. "Wahh I make $100,000 a year and need to pay some taxes. I think I'm rich so I vote for Rick Scott and Donald Trump".

by Anonymousreply 216March 30, 2021 7:59 PM

See ? "Im Racist,Youre Racist,We're ALL Racist !!!!"

by Anonymousreply 217March 30, 2021 8:01 PM

The riots are going to be EPIC.

by Anonymousreply 218March 30, 2021 8:03 PM

I can not even fathom watching someone I love being slowly and brutality murdered like that. I would have to be put in a mental facility. Cops are not judge, jury, executioner. They are meant to SAFELY arrest people. Everyone has the right to a trial and the right to have a defense in this country. Why did the cops remove GF from the back of the car? Did any of them ever give a reason for that? That motherfucker acted as if he KNEW he was killing him and would get away with it. That was cold blooded, premeditated murder,imo. Whatever amount of money that family received wasn't enough. Jesus Christ that was inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 219March 30, 2021 8:03 PM

amen R219

by Anonymousreply 220March 30, 2021 8:08 PM

It's really unacceptable to me that so many young people witnessed a murder happening right before their eyes.

The innocence of youth is a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 221March 30, 2021 8:09 PM

I think it was murder, there was bad blood between Chauvin and Floyd and the cop kept his knee on Floyd's neck for a good 4 minutes after he passed out. Floyd wasn't a threat to him, he was handcuffed and on the ground with 3 cops on top of him, it wasn't like Floyd was going anywhere, but Chauvin had his hand in his pocket the whole time like it was nothing. I also think that Chauvin enjoyed outraging the bystanders by refusing to move, even when the ambulance arrived he still didn't budge and had to be practically dragged off Floyd's unconscious body by the paramedics. He knew what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 222March 30, 2021 8:22 PM

This witness seems nervous. Her voice is wavering.

by Anonymousreply 223March 30, 2021 8:25 PM

I'd be nervous too. National television on the trial of the century.

by Anonymousreply 224March 30, 2021 8:28 PM

Actually he doesn't have his hand in his pocket. He has gloves on and it just looks like the hand is in the pocket because the glove matches the color of the pants.

by Anonymousreply 225March 30, 2021 8:36 PM

Oh, for sure, R224. I agree.

I wonder if this woman will have any protection? Aren't firefighters and cops tight, I imagine her co-workers won't like her testifying against a cop.

by Anonymousreply 226March 30, 2021 8:36 PM

Brave woman indeed.

by Anonymousreply 227March 30, 2021 8:37 PM

Why didn't he take a plea deal?

by Anonymousreply 228March 30, 2021 8:40 PM

Seems like a plea deal fell apart for confidential reasons. Anyone know what really happened?

by Anonymousreply 229March 30, 2021 8:44 PM

She's obviously not only a good witness, but very, very upset by the actions of Chauvin and Company.

by Anonymousreply 230March 30, 2021 8:50 PM

Her testimony is devastating to the defense. This is just day 1 too.

by Anonymousreply 231March 30, 2021 8:50 PM

^^^err day 2

by Anonymousreply 232March 30, 2021 8:51 PM

Wow! "If you really are a Minneapolis fire fighter, you'd know enough to not get involved". Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 233March 30, 2021 8:54 PM

If I lived in central Minneapolis, I'd be packing up and selling (or terminating the lease) this week.

by Anonymousreply 234March 30, 2021 8:55 PM

I think her coworkers will stand behind her and support her. She's doing the right thing. It's not as though she witnessed someone getting their face slapped. She was a witness to an MIP. (Murder in Progress)

I wonder what the official police code for that offense is?

by Anonymousreply 235March 30, 2021 8:57 PM

Her emotion is genuine. She's a good person.

I hope you're right, R235.

by Anonymousreply 236March 30, 2021 8:58 PM

Did the defense just scold her for yelling at the do-nothing cops? This guy sucks.

by Anonymousreply 237March 30, 2021 8:59 PM

The mantra in training is you do the right thing. As EMS, your goal is keeping them alive and getting them help at a hospital.

It’s also preached that you stick up for the blue, but ultimately, if there is a question of ethics, “do the right thing for the patient.”

by Anonymousreply 238March 30, 2021 9:00 PM

I think an acquittal will stir up the Black Lives Matter movement more and be better for my Oscar campaign.

by Anonymousreply 239March 30, 2021 9:00 PM

Every single one of these witnesses is fucking traumatized from watching George Floyd being murdered right in front of their eyes and unable to help him. Another witness is in tears.

If this guy walks, something is really wrong with the world.

by Anonymousreply 240March 30, 2021 9:01 PM

What are the chances of Derek Chauvin shedding a tear in sympathy? lol

by Anonymousreply 241March 30, 2021 9:03 PM

Oh god, if Derek gets off, the Oscars are going to be insufferable... well, more so than usual.

by Anonymousreply 242March 30, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]Wow! "If you really are a Minneapolis fire fighter, you'd know enough to not get involved". Holy shit!

This was the defense attorney? He can't possibly think that sounded good to the jurors.

by Anonymousreply 243March 30, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote]Oh god, if Derek gets off, the Oscars are going to be insufferable... well, more so than usual.

As well they should; I hope there's a parade of statements being made.

You can always choose not to watch--nobody here will miss your bitching and moaning, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 244March 30, 2021 9:07 PM

This firefighter's testimony alone is enough to convict.

by Anonymousreply 245March 30, 2021 9:07 PM

Where have I been?

I can't believe Chauvin's defense team is being paid for by the Minneapolis Police and Peace Officers Legal Fund

Freaking Outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 246March 30, 2021 9:09 PM

That defense attorney really helped nail his client's coffin shut. I wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced by the end of day.

by Anonymousreply 247March 30, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]This was the defense attorney? He can't possibly think that sounded good to the jurors.

She testified she was told that by Chauvin/the officers.

by Anonymousreply 248March 30, 2021 9:13 PM

If I could bring the grease fire to this guy, I would.

by Anonymousreply 249March 30, 2021 9:16 PM

The defense is on now, the other guy, the older man, was the prosecutor.

by Anonymousreply 250March 30, 2021 9:18 PM

Christ. I starting watching the girl's testimony and I just can't watch the video again

I forgot how horrific it is

I can't see defending what Chauvin did without also seeing George Floyd as subhuman

by Anonymousreply 251March 30, 2021 9:20 PM

Ugh, this defense lawyer is slick. He's gonna try and trip her up.

by Anonymousreply 252March 30, 2021 9:21 PM

R252, she seems like she's sharp enough though. Bully tactics.

by Anonymousreply 253March 30, 2021 9:24 PM

The defense lawyer seems very smarmy

by Anonymousreply 254March 30, 2021 9:25 PM

I can see where he's going already. He's good. (I'm team prosecution, but this defense lawyer is skilled).

Hopefully you're right, R253.

by Anonymousreply 255March 30, 2021 9:25 PM

This gal isn't just a firefighter, she a Fierce Firefighting Warrior!

👩‍🚒[italic] You Go, Gurl!

by Anonymousreply 256March 30, 2021 9:26 PM

There needs to be an internal investigation of the charges she's alleging, if not already in progress. The assassination squad plot thickens.

by Anonymousreply 257March 30, 2021 9:26 PM

He's a good defense lawyer. Today, the testimony of the 18 year old woman and her 9 year old cousin was devastating to Chauvin. Hering that woman cry on the stand was heart-wrenching. And according to reports, tears were just streaming down her face. The MMA fighter was also devastating. The EMT woman is very good. Nelson has to rattle her, and he's not doing it so far.

by Anonymousreply 258March 30, 2021 9:31 PM

The defense lawyer's first mistake is assuming that he's smarter and savvier than the witness.

While she may not be an attorney, he's certainly not a firefighter/paramedic. She's the expert here.

by Anonymousreply 259March 30, 2021 9:34 PM

Paraphrased:

Defense attorney: It's fair to say memory can be altered during a traumatic event?

Witness: Yes. That's why we're lucky there is video

I thought that was an excellent response

by Anonymousreply 260March 30, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]The defense lawyer seems very smarmy

Yes, he does.

But this is DL: is he smarmy/hot? Or not?

by Anonymousreply 261March 30, 2021 9:35 PM

"They (cops) killed him." I love her.

by Anonymousreply 262March 30, 2021 9:37 PM

Meh, he's not swarmy. He knows she's a sympathetic witness, so he's not going to try and rattle her. He'll try and discredit her in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 263March 30, 2021 9:42 PM

💟 I Love Genevieve !

by Anonymousreply 264March 30, 2021 9:42 PM

She's a national hero.

by Anonymousreply 265March 30, 2021 9:45 PM

Her eye rolling is killing me. She's over this cheesy ass lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 266March 30, 2021 9:46 PM

🇺🇸 I want a Genevieve the Firefighter tee shirt.

by Anonymousreply 267March 30, 2021 9:49 PM

More Karens need to be like Genevieve.

by Anonymousreply 268March 30, 2021 9:49 PM

She's giving me strong Colleen McMurphy-vibes. 🥰

by Anonymousreply 269March 30, 2021 9:49 PM

Don't be a Karen. Be a Genevieve.

by Anonymousreply 270March 30, 2021 9:56 PM

This thread is a good illustration why trials should never be televised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271March 30, 2021 10:02 PM

Genevieve Hansen's testimony is making clear why the city settled with the Floyd family and for so much. There is just no defense to any of this. They wouldn't let a trained EMT/firefighter take an unconscious man's pulse, they wouldn't do it themselves, and Chauvin wouldn't even get off his neck.

You *might* be able to explain the initial use of excessive force (to me it's still absurd, but it's possible), but you cannot explain why Chauvin did not want to let anyone else do their job when his defense is he was just doing his.

by Anonymousreply 272March 30, 2021 10:12 PM

Who's on the stand now?

by Anonymousreply 273March 30, 2021 10:16 PM

Whoever he is, I think he's hot

by Anonymousreply 274March 30, 2021 10:20 PM

r273I think day 2 is over

by Anonymousreply 275March 30, 2021 10:20 PM

r275 thanks. I just realized the NBC video started over at the beginning of the day

by Anonymousreply 276March 30, 2021 10:22 PM

[R235] In the city I'm familiar with (SF) the police code for homicide (murder) is 187. Also here in the Bay Area, Court TV is on cable channel 187. Look ma, an actual coincidence!

by Anonymousreply 277March 30, 2021 10:28 PM

After the cops finished with Floyd, their attention should have been the woman who was filming. They should have confiscated her cellphone and smashed it. That was their fatal mistake.

by Anonymousreply 278March 30, 2021 10:29 PM

Any other crimes the police should have committed to cover up their crimes, R278? Should they have disappeared all the witnesses as well?

by Anonymousreply 279March 30, 2021 10:31 PM

Was the man who testified earlier the guy who said "bro" in the video 500 times and almost after ever word? He was very vocal and trying to help Floyd, but damn that was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 280March 30, 2021 10:35 PM

Guilty

Next........

by Anonymousreply 281March 30, 2021 10:36 PM

Another angle. There's no way Chauvin isn't putting his full weight down on that knee. He's pitched forward and neither his feet nor his hands/arms are in a stress position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282March 30, 2021 10:58 PM

The young witnesses were the most compelling, especially Darnella Frazier, who says that she apologizes to George Floyd for not doing more to save his life. But she added, it wasn't all on her. It came down to what Chauvin could have done to save George. Devastasting to the defense.

by Anonymousreply 283March 30, 2021 11:04 PM

Wasn’t the way he restrained Floyd standard procedure at the time? Apparently placing your knee like that is banned by other police departments, but at the time it was permitted by the Minneapolis PD.

by Anonymousreply 284March 30, 2021 11:05 PM

The drugs in Floyd's system could be a problem for murder. He might have died anyway with so many drugs already in his system.

by Anonymousreply 285March 30, 2021 11:09 PM

Can they get the judge out of there for bias?

by Anonymousreply 286March 30, 2021 11:11 PM

Why R286?

by Anonymousreply 287March 30, 2021 11:11 PM

For how he admonished the EMT and telling her, he will decide when her answer is done.

It’s his court and he is in charge, but the way it was said was harsh. She then asked if the cameras were on. Although, the jury was out of the room at that point.

by Anonymousreply 288March 30, 2021 11:14 PM

Trolls are clearing their cookies on this thread.

r285, I'm looking at you.

by Anonymousreply 289March 30, 2021 11:15 PM

R271, are you seriously citing a fake movie that was set 2000 years ago as proof? Really???

by Anonymousreply 290March 30, 2021 11:18 PM

R288, people may not like it, but there are court proceedings for a reason. He was harsh, but she went on a sort of unneeded tangent. I'm on her side, but I can see why he reprimanded her. It's better for the prosecution if she sticks to the script and just answers the questions without adding anything.

by Anonymousreply 291March 30, 2021 11:19 PM

291, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 292March 30, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote]Genevieve Hansen's testimony is making clear why the city settled with the Floyd family and for so much. There is just no defense to any of this.

$27 million was a ridiculous amount. The family didn't even have much to do with him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 293March 30, 2021 11:20 PM

27 million was a ridiculous amount. The family didn't even have much to do with him anyway.

Regardless, they settled.

by Anonymousreply 294March 30, 2021 11:23 PM

Love the dummy's earlier saying how great and calm and collected that angry firefighter was. One poster said the defense would not "rattle" her. R259 is particularly hilarious. Since you were so wrong here, please consider what else you might be so wrong about (I'm NOT obliquely referencing the floyd killing here, just in general).

by Anonymousreply 295March 30, 2021 11:27 PM

Everybody so far has just been really rough around the edges and trashy. I'm glad I've never lived amongst that class of people.

by Anonymousreply 296March 30, 2021 11:29 PM

R295 is watching the Comedy Channel, not the trial, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 297March 30, 2021 11:30 PM

R295 I meant dummies. Also r263 is another good one. The defense literally took the opposite of your advice and did what you said he could not do!

by Anonymousreply 298March 30, 2021 11:31 PM

So if Chauvin gets a light sentence the riots are going to be insane. I'd leave any city in the US the day before the verdict is announced.

by Anonymousreply 299March 30, 2021 11:33 PM

DEAP fakes.

Stupid frau cunt calls them DEAP fakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 30, 2021 11:34 PM

Wrong thread, R300.

by Anonymousreply 301March 30, 2021 11:38 PM

R297 here's how the Washington Post characterized the witness that I was watching, who people upthread celebrated as "unable to be rattled" "sharp expert" and "fierce firefighting warrior"

[Quote]A witness’s exchanges with Chauvin’s lawyer Tuesday grew tense to the point that Cahill reprimanded her at the end of an emotional and sometimes tearful day of testimony.

“You will not argue with the court,” Cahill told Genevieve Hansen, an off-duty firefighter who testified Tuesday that she was deeply concerned by officers’ treatment of Floyd and wanted to intervene. “You’ll not argue with counsel. They have the right to ask questions. Your job is to answer.”

“I was finishing my answer,” Hansen said.

“I will determine when your answer is done,” the judge responded. He told Hansen to return Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.

Hansen, who cried during her testimony Tuesday, had cut into defense lawyer Nelson’s questioning at times.

When Nelson asked whether Hansen would describe the “demeanor” of others around her as “upset or angry,” Hansen gave a cutting response: “I don’t know if you’ve seen anybody be killed, but it’s upsetting.”

by Anonymousreply 302March 30, 2021 11:42 PM

R215, Floyd did not die from having oxygen shut off to his brain, or from strangulation. He died of a heart attack. Per the autopsy report, partial oxygen reduction from the restraints by the cop at the neck and the cop on the chest were probably contributing factors in that--alongside of and along with---drug overdose, heart disease, and stress. But his brain did not shut off from being cut off from oxygen. He had a heart attack.

This is why, it will be tough to convict Chauvin on any of the charges where there is a causation element requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin was "the" cause of death, or the principal or proximate cause of death. However, the wording of some of these charges seems to require only that malfeasance/dereliction of duty with gross disregard for the risk to life, be a likely 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘰𝘳 𝘪𝘯 the death. I think conviction is likely on those. I don't see how he is going to be acquitted on those.

Again, we really need a color-coded chart of all the different manslaughter and murder charges in play here, noting for each the level of intent and the degree of causation that must be proven. They all vary a bit.

by Anonymousreply 303March 31, 2021 12:05 AM

Chauvin is a POS demon murderer. Bye, Pig. Rot in prison you guilty MFer.

by Anonymousreply 304March 31, 2021 12:13 AM

Chauvin is guilty despite the pleas of the racists here. Putting your knee on someone’s neck like that WOULD cause a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 305March 31, 2021 12:14 AM

The drugs in his system are fair game for the defense. If the cop knew the guy was drugged up to the highest level he might have not put his knee on his neck that way. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 306March 31, 2021 12:24 AM

Not guilty and the city of Minneapolis will burn.

by Anonymousreply 307March 31, 2021 12:32 AM

Seriously, if Chauvin doesn't get life in prison there's going to be a lot of civil unrest.

by Anonymousreply 308March 31, 2021 12:36 AM

R307 Awww look who wants to show their ass as racist! Troll POS. This fucker is guilty and we all know it. I hope no one tries to overthrown our own govt by trying to murder our representatives and VP like conservatives did when they all believed an OBVIOUS lie NO REASONABLE person would believe. Those fuckers are unhinged. Trying to kill Govs, US reps, US VPs, US Senators. White nationalists thugs are the real threat. If evil cops can murder with impunity, well, that can’t stand.

by Anonymousreply 309March 31, 2021 12:36 AM

R307 the country will burn. Every major metro area in the country will explode, especially NY. I’m sure the Biden admin is already planning the response with the DOJ, the FBI, and likely even the military in the event of a not guilty verdict.

by Anonymousreply 310March 31, 2021 12:37 AM

Oh please R307 . They said the same shit about Zimmerman and they didnt do shit down here in florida. Thats cause they KNOW they act like that down here theyll be stacking those motherfuckers up like cordwood. This bullshit of destroying cities because you dont like something MUST be stopped . I said the same thing about those drugged out hippies in Portland. Kill their asses !

by Anonymousreply 311March 31, 2021 12:37 AM

R310 Scare tactics. How’s the weather in Moscow?

by Anonymousreply 312March 31, 2021 12:38 AM

Choking someone by any means while the person rightfully fears for their life would cause a heart attack or very likely could, drugs or not. Chauvin loved doing that to Floyd. Any gay person defending him needs to have the same treatment from the cops who despise us as much.

by Anonymousreply 313March 31, 2021 12:41 AM

R312 were you asleep this summer? Can you imagine the reaction if this guy is found not guilty of all charges and is allowed to walk free? The country is a powder keg as is, with all the bullshit going on with racist voting laws, attacks on Asians, and general pandemic fatigue and hopelessness. Mass economic pain. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that there would be MASSIVE unrest in the event of a not guilty verdict.

by Anonymousreply 314March 31, 2021 12:41 AM

Chauvin's defense attorney needs to stop looking at witnesses as weak pushovers. These people witnessed the murder of Floyd and they're not afraid to spill their guts. It's pretty obvious that the witnesses were disturbed by what they saw, but they're willing to come forward with the truth. The attorney's intimidation tactics seem to be backfiring. The witnesses are highly determined to tell the entire story.

by Anonymousreply 315March 31, 2021 12:41 AM

How long is the trial expected to last?

by Anonymousreply 316March 31, 2021 12:43 AM

Russian trolls are trolling hard. They want division. They defend the thug cops. R311 Oh please you pansy asses in FL. Or is it Moscow?

by Anonymousreply 317March 31, 2021 12:43 AM

R316 I heard it could last a month

by Anonymousreply 318March 31, 2021 12:44 AM

Russian trolls love to sow division and fear. They’ve found that weak, stupid republicans will help spread their talking points.

by Anonymousreply 319March 31, 2021 12:46 AM

This bullshit about George Floyd having heart issues or a drug problem that precipitated his death reminds me of the idiotic Covid deniers who claim that people didn’t die of Covid because they were already sick. Chauvin KILLED George Floyd. If he hadn’t put his knee on George Floyd’s neck, George would would not have died that day. So fuck off with that BS.

by Anonymousreply 320March 31, 2021 12:48 AM

r320 Floyd had heart disease, it's in the autopsy report.

by Anonymousreply 321March 31, 2021 12:54 AM

R321 No relevant. Nor were drugs. It is all typical cop bullshit and Russian talking points

by Anonymousreply 322March 31, 2021 12:59 AM

[quote]There’s 6 white people on the jury. He’s going to be found not-guilty. We’ve seen this movie before. Minneapolis will burn to the ground.

I agree with R1. Let's see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 323March 31, 2021 1:02 AM

I have never had so many posters on my blocklist at any one time. Damn, Muriel needs to get her act together.

But back to the matter at hand. How long is the trial supposed to last? Does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 324March 31, 2021 1:02 AM

The trolls will be posting frantic overnight US time. By morning this thread will be filled with a lot more hot racist garbage to try and desperately drown out the news of the very damaging testimony from today.

by Anonymousreply 325March 31, 2021 1:03 AM

Before Chauin got there the other cops saw Floyd foaming at the mouth and asked what he was taking. He answered that he had been "hooping" earlier. This is a term for inserting fentanyl into one's anus--a big whammy to the bloodstream. How much of this was conveyed to Chauvin, who knows.

People don't understand that it was Floyd who said he wanted to lie on the ground. Repeatedly, while bucking and carrying on as the three rookies were trying to get him in the car. They finally gave in and let him go on the ground, around the point Chauvin arrived and asked what was going on. One of the rookies called the EMT medics, telling them they had someone "bleeding from the mouth." Once he was on the ground Floyd then began carrying on wanting to stand up. He was talking and yelling for some time while they had him on the ground. And the reason he was able to do so, was because his oxygen supply was not cut off.

It may have been reduced to a degree that it will be completely fair to consider that enough of a factor in his heart attack (along with the drugs in his system and heart disease) to hold Chauvin liable for some form of grossly reckless disregard for the fact that Floyd may have been in a bad enough way due to drugs that any degree of oxygen reduction could strain his heart too much. But that's manslaughter or third-degree murder, not a cold-blooded deliberate killing. It does sound like Chauvin was unaware of the foaming and the Q&A the other guys did with Floyd before Chauvin got there, but who knows.

A factor in all this that has not been discussed honestly, because the police don't want to go there, is "Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome. Stupid people keep going, "Poor George told them he couldn't breathe." Well. They all say that, or some variation of it. Cops hear these refrains in just about every arrest encounter. And after a while, they get inured to it. That's not admirable. But it's what happens.

Lifer criminal screw-ups like George Floyd have stunted character components which are developmentally that of children, not mature adults. The ones who can't stop getting into trouble behave accordingly---They ALL say, My Foot Hurts, I Need to Visit My Sick Granny, My Stomach Hurts, and, of course, I Can't Breathe. In this encounter alone, Floyd and/or his lowlife pals on his behalf, told police--all while he was refusing courteously-given orders and resisting arrest---My Stomach Hurts, My Mom Just Died, I've Been Shot in the Past, I'm Claustrophobic, I Got Anxiety, I'm Not a Bad Guy, I Want to Lay on the Ground, I Want to Get Up, I Was Hooping Earlier .. . . . The transcript is 25 pages long and most of it is this stuff. Chauvin was willing to plead to a ten-year sentence and that is about what he deserves, but he's not gonna get the Big Casino because the story told by that 25-page transcript is a different story from cold-blooded murder.

by Anonymousreply 326March 31, 2021 1:03 AM

R321, probably so so did many of the people who died of Covid. But do you know what killed them? Covid!

by Anonymousreply 327March 31, 2021 1:04 AM

R326, so much bullshit. How do you live with yourself? Oh yeah... lots of vodka in Minsk.

by Anonymousreply 328March 31, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote]I have never had so many posters on my blocklist at any one time. Damn, Muriel needs to get her act together.

You're not the boss of Datalounge. Muriel is not going to ban people just because you don't like them. Seriously, get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 329March 31, 2021 1:08 AM

R328 That poor Ruskie posted a lot to be laughed at. Russia=drunks and whores. That’s all they got. They even lost gymnastics! LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 330March 31, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote]Now watch while the racists tell us about Black men faking passing out just to lure white cops into thinking they're safe.

[quote]Stupid people keep going, "Poor George told them he couldn't breathe." Well. They all say that, or some variation of it. Cops hear these refrains in just about every arrest encounter.

Oh, so close, R326! But it was a good effort. You'll get some bathtub vodka for that.

by Anonymousreply 331March 31, 2021 1:12 AM

Looks like DL Stalk & Block is back sowing the seeds.

by Anonymousreply 332March 31, 2021 1:13 AM

Who is this asshole r326 trying to convince.

Please and most kindly GO FUCK YOURSELF!

by Anonymousreply 333March 31, 2021 1:19 AM

R328, how many arrest transcripts and police reports have you read? Have you read the complete 25-page transcript of the bodycam footage in this case? Are you seriously unaware that many, many arrest suspects who resist, particularly those at the level of long-term repeater, low-life screwups like George Floyd, carry on with a litany of excuses worthy of an 8-year-old? Particularly when high? The truly hard-core and scary ones shut up, do what they're told, and get their lawyer. Many characters like Floyd, who was a low-level lifer dirtbag but not Public Enemy Number One, carry on like children, as in this transcript. The cops pay attention to "I can't breathe" when someone clutches their throat, turns blue, and keels over. They don't listen carefully if the person says it while up walking, yelling their head off, carrying on, tussling with them, and mixing "I can't breathe" in with, "My Mom Just Died," "I'm Claustrophobic," "I Was Shot in the Past," "My Stomach Hurts," "Ouch, My Wrist Hurts," and blah, blah, blah.

I do question why the three rookies who saw him foaming at the mouth, asked what he was taking, and heard him say he'd been "hooping," did not convey when calling the EMTs that a possible fentanyl OD was in play. The transcript also gives no indication they conveyed all this to Chauvin. This is a gross fuckup, as was continued pressure on two air passageway points in light of that. But it's not murder.

by Anonymousreply 334March 31, 2021 1:28 AM

R334 Early morning Russian troll shift has started. You KNOW that is a shitty shift in drunken Russia.

by Anonymousreply 335March 31, 2021 1:33 AM

[quote] The cops pay attention to "I can't breathe" when someone clutches their throat, turns blue, and keels over. They don't listen carefully if the person says it while up walking, yelling their head off, carrying on, tussling with them, and mixing "I can't breathe" in with, "My Mom Just Died," "I'm Claustrophobic," "I Was Shot in the Past," "My Stomach Hurts," "Ouch, My Wrist Hurts," and blah, blah, blah.

And here's where you give yourself away, little troll.

If the cops aren't paying attention to "I can't breathe" til someone keels over, that's a massive failure of the cops. They need to be replaced because they are negligent if not reckless with people's lives. If the cops don't pay attention to "I can't breathe" WHEN A COP IS KNEELING ON HIS NECK, that's a murder. Those cops need to go to jail.

Floyd told the police over 20 times while they were on his back that he couldn't breathe (not while he was walking around and "tussling"). Chauvin told him to shut up because he was using oxygen by talking. Of course if you read actual details from the case as opposed to troll talking points, you'd know that.

by Anonymousreply 336March 31, 2021 1:40 AM

R334, crawl back into your hole.

by Anonymousreply 337March 31, 2021 1:42 AM

It’s 3rd degree murder, r334. You’re making your own case for it. Btw, who gives a shit what cops faced before? It has no bearing on this day and this case. Chauvin had his knee on George Floyd’s neck. On what planet would any cop think he was lying when he said he couldn’t breathe? Oh yeah—bad cops.

by Anonymousreply 338March 31, 2021 1:46 AM

There was no excuse for what Chauvin did. It is clear from the video he knew Floyd was no threat. He stopped moving, was visually unconscious yet that’s smug killer just kept on.

by Anonymousreply 339March 31, 2021 1:51 AM

2nd degree... hoping anyways

by Anonymousreply 340March 31, 2021 1:51 AM

Why didn't they just load Floyd in the back of the car and drive off? I don't understand why there was such a big production. There were four cops there.

by Anonymousreply 341March 31, 2021 1:52 AM

R341 They are bullies and killers. White nationalists have infiltrated and flooded our military and police in increasing numbers by design.

by Anonymousreply 342March 31, 2021 1:55 AM

Only two of the cops were white.

by Anonymousreply 343March 31, 2021 1:58 AM

R334 again here---I'm not making the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" point here to say that Floyd did this to himself or that he deserved it. I'm saying, the chorus of pleas, excuses, and nonsense is a phenomenon in arrest encounters that nobody wants to talk about, because cops tune it out. The police hear a litany of infantile nonsense constantly while trying to simply do their jobs, including "I Can't Breathe," from a person who is yelling his head off and carrying on. The big sin was that just on general principle any and all pressure to airway points should have ceased the second Floyd was immobilized and no threat, regardless of whether Chauvin knew from the rookies that Floyd was foaming and had told them he was "hooping." I think he's gonna get manslaughter and possibly Third-degree murder for that, justifiably. But they're gonna struggle to get anything higher.

by Anonymousreply 344March 31, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote] Let me ask you this, if tomorrow we could offer the family the opportunity to bring George Floyd back to life but they'd have to give the money back, what do you think they would do? I think we all know the answer to that one.

You are 100% correct. George Floyd's family is exactly like your family

by Anonymousreply 345March 31, 2021 2:00 AM

R334 here--I didn't say it wasn't 3rd-degree murder. I 'm not one of the posters who thinks there will be an acquittal. I think Chauvin will get that, and deserves it because just on general principal all pressure to air points should have ceased the second Floyd was immobilized and no threat. But Chauvin was already willing to plead to third-degree murder, so this is all pointless. They're not going to get more.

by Anonymousreply 346March 31, 2021 2:02 AM

R341 Apparently Floyd was thrashing about violently in the back of the cop car, banging his head against the windows and shit.

That does not justify Chauvin grinding his neck into the pavement for several fucking minutes AFTER he became unresponsive. While handcuffed.

wtf are some of you people on?

by Anonymousreply 347March 31, 2021 2:02 AM

This whole thread has been eye-opening for me---Conservatives think people they deem beneath or different from them deserve death or exile. Democrats believe we all have an obligation to help our brothers and sisters. There's no point trying to convince these people about why Chauvin is a murderer if their fundamental belief system is so corrupted.

by Anonymousreply 348March 31, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote] Why didn't they just load Floyd in the back of the car and drive off?

Because derek chauvin wanted to slowly torture and murder George Floyd. And the rest of the cops wanted to help him

It's that simple

by Anonymousreply 349March 31, 2021 2:03 AM

R343 The military and police are infiltrated by white nationalists. As crazy as it seems, many Hispanics and Asians join in. Even some blacks. That sherif in WI? Yup.

by Anonymousreply 350March 31, 2021 2:03 AM

"general principle," not "principal."---R346/344

Yes, of course, cops should listen when a person face-down on the ground whose chest and neck they're pressing on, says "I Can't Breathe." But in this case they heard the person say it a slew of times while up walking around, and while thrashing around in the car, breathing and yelling his head off. And given that, along with the fact that anyone with a knee to the neck says this, they did not listen. And for that they're going to pay. They're just not going to pay with a second-degree murder conviction.

by Anonymousreply 351March 31, 2021 2:07 AM

R348 No lies detected.

Aside from much of this being foreign division talking points, it is true how many republicans (most?) have absolute contempt for anybody different from them. That’s why I’ve never, ever, ever believed their anti-abortion reasonings. That is all to control women.

About Chauvin trial- read the tenacity of the foreign division talking points. They make the same points over and over. Most of it completely made up. I believe republicans have been using foreign intel tactics for a long time to brainwash our citizens. Only dim witted republicans fall for such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 352March 31, 2021 2:07 AM

Preech! ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 353March 31, 2021 2:10 AM

With his knee on his neck, Chauvin keeps looking down at Floyd. He knows he is killing him. Who knows why. Hopefully he'll have a long time in prison to contemplate if it was all worth it.

People, if you see this happening don't just stand there. If there's a couple of you, do a 'let's roll' and ambush the cop(s). I couldn't live with myself knowing I stood there and watched someone dying.

Wouldn't you want someone to do the same for you?

by Anonymousreply 354March 31, 2021 4:14 AM

He'd better be found guilty or cities will burn.

by Anonymousreply 355March 31, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote] He'd better be found guilty or cities will burn.

After paying a $27 million shakedown while at the same time undercutting their police Minneapolis deserves to burn.

by Anonymousreply 356March 31, 2021 4:29 AM

Democrats do NOT believe we have to help everyone, Democrats believe we help those they deem worthy and will make them look good. They also have a habit of racism with black people, they treat them as if they aren't smart enough to talk for themselves, it's some real God complex shit.

Chauvin isn't getting charged with the murder, your feelings on the situation mean nothing. Just look at what everyone, who is so sure Chauvin is a cross carrying KKK member, thought of the firefighter; strong, brilliant and defying the defence and yet the court seen it differently, they will also look for facts and not feelings when it comes to the case, despite what those on here want, who only want facts when it enables their feelings.

by Anonymousreply 357March 31, 2021 8:05 AM

𝑴𝑺𝑵𝑩𝑪 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒄𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒑𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒔 𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒏𝒔𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒖𝒔𝒉 𝒎𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒔

Derek Chauvin's defense strategy in George Floyd trial emphasizes pathology

Video of George Floyd's death may make folks think this is an easy case for prosecutors. But the forensic pathology piece suggests otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 31, 2021 8:41 AM

Fact beats feelings when it comes to the legal system, as much as that might frustrate a lot of Floyd fans on here.

by Anonymousreply 359March 31, 2021 9:50 AM

Yes, R359. The fact that witnesses--professional and otherwise--all confirm that this Chauvin forcibly kneeled on a man's neck while he shouted I can't breathe. At the very least, it's manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 360March 31, 2021 11:04 AM

356-359 seems, IDK, like it was put through a google translation from another language. I wonder what that could be......

by Anonymousreply 361March 31, 2021 11:16 AM

R361 Can't stand that people off his own land think differently to him, the typical authoritarian leftist.

by Anonymousreply 362March 31, 2021 11:20 AM

R362 Thanks for revealing who you are, racist piece of shit. Defend cop thugs, Sergei. That’s why Russians are drunks and whores.

by Anonymousreply 363March 31, 2021 11:23 AM

Facts in this case point to Chauvin being a murderer.

Though we all know he’ll get off because cops can do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 364March 31, 2021 11:24 AM

R360 and r359 could BOTH be right! It's okay to be simultaneously horrified by the video AND understand that legal crimes are different from moral or ethical crimes.

I have heard that in MN, murder 3 requires a third party to be at risk--if true, Chauvin walks on this charge. Murder 2 (which you might recall was hardly added a few weeks before the trial began) is another tough sell LEGALLY, but it can be done.

Manslaughter, I feel he will absolutely serve time for.

by Anonymousreply 365March 31, 2021 11:27 AM

Facts are he willingly killed someone. Period. Facts are solidly on the prosecution’s side. Though he’ll walk cuz, well, it’s cops and they can murder.

by Anonymousreply 366March 31, 2021 11:29 AM

The odious stench of Green Mark Vodka and piss is ALL over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 367March 31, 2021 11:46 AM

I can't wait for all the sad kweens on here to go crazy when Chauvin is found innocent of murder.

by Anonymousreply 368March 31, 2021 12:07 PM

There is a substantial chance of conviction on Third-Degree Murder. They don't have to prove intent to kill. It must be proven a) He caused the death; and b) He caused the death by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evidencing a depraved mind, without regard for human life. If they can convince on causation, the rest of this should be doable. You shoouldn't be pressing on an airway near the carotid for one second longer once a suspect is immobile and no danger, period. Especially when you know the person's condition is such they've had medics called for them.

That is doable. The Minnesota cop who unintentionally shot and killed that woman who had phoned to report a rape suspect, was convicted of Minnesota's Third-degree murder. So Chauvin seems like a shoo-in here, unless causation snarls it up. But this is why the prosecution re-added this charge at the eleventh hour. Because they have had to admit to themselves it's going to be tough to get a conviction on the following:

Second-degree unintentional murder: They also don't have to prove intent to kill here. However, they have to prove a) Causation; and b) EITHER, b-1, causing the death while committing or attempting to commit a felony; or b-2, causing the death while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm "while the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order."

The b-2 scenario applies to situations such as, a husband under a restraining order in a domestic case, who tries to beat up or assault the wife who got the protective order, and while he intended to beat her up, he didn't intend to kill her. That doesn't apply in this case. So for Chauvin to have Second-Degree Murder liability, he has to have caused the death under the first pathway--while committing or trying to commit a felony.

That's gonna be a tough one. Not completely out of the question. But a tough one.

by Anonymousreply 369March 31, 2021 12:47 PM

First degree murder. Premeditated murder can be formed in a split second. Nine minutes is more than enough time to form an intent to murder. Not allowing EMT'S to render medical treatment is intent to kill. This psychopathic motherfucker is guilty of first degree murder. And it is all on tape.

by Anonymousreply 370March 31, 2021 1:15 PM

[quote] I'm saying, the chorus of pleas, excuses, and nonsense is a phenomenon in arrest encounters that nobody wants to talk about, because cops tune it out.

Maybe cops shouldn't tune those pleas out, R344/R334. That's what contributed to the culture of callous indifference that led to this man's death.

I'm sure you're a good person, but your comments miss the main point. George Floyd -- no matter what he did that day or in his life up to that point -- was a person worthy of dignity. Chauvin and the other cops there that day paid that no heed.

by Anonymousreply 371March 31, 2021 1:33 PM

While I have no direct experience with this, I recall episodes of ER dealing with how ER doctors are used to dealing with the antics of drug seeking patients & once they identify someone as a certain "type" of person, they tune them out or treat them callously. Its not exactly right, but it's human nature.

Given his past history, however, there seems to be compelling evidence that Chauvin was one mean, abusive, asshole, not just a normally "okay" guy that was having a bad day & didn't react well to a guy have a drug induced meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 372March 31, 2021 2:19 PM

R372, you nailed it. Derek Chauvin's motives might be less about race, and more to do with the bias you referenced about dealing with drug seekers/addicts. While the drug user can prevent challenges while dealing with them on a medical or criminal level, it doesn't mean we have a right to de-humanize them.

by Anonymousreply 373March 31, 2021 2:24 PM

Who is speaking now?

by Anonymousreply 374March 31, 2021 2:36 PM

Is this another defense attorney?

by Anonymousreply 375March 31, 2021 2:37 PM

why isn't there a channel with Jerry Springer giving a play by play?

by Anonymousreply 376March 31, 2021 2:39 PM

r373

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377March 31, 2021 2:41 PM

r377

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 31, 2021 2:45 PM

Is this a witness for the defense???

by Anonymousreply 379March 31, 2021 2:45 PM

Notice nobody's wearing masks in this store? I know it was early, but mask mandates were in place in May 2020.

by Anonymousreply 380March 31, 2021 2:53 PM

Did you notice the police who weren't wearing masks?

by Anonymousreply 381March 31, 2021 2:58 PM

I actually did notice that.

However, I don't think it matters in the grad scheme of things ...

by Anonymousreply 382March 31, 2021 2:59 PM

Of course it doesn't matter...just a weird observation. Where I live, everyone wears masks except for the lone Karen with an ax to grind.

by Anonymousreply 383March 31, 2021 3:01 PM

R372, they didn’t necessarily know George Floyd’s past history. I think they just assumed it. If George had been white, they might have assumed differently.

by Anonymousreply 384March 31, 2021 4:20 PM

This young man feels guilty that he ever mentioned the counterfeit bill.

by Anonymousreply 385March 31, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote] why isn't there a channel with Jerry Springer giving a play by play?

You mean this thread isn't it??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386March 31, 2021 4:25 PM

I wouldn't be able to identify a counterfeit bill unless something was very obvious like Trump's face on it.

by Anonymousreply 387March 31, 2021 4:29 PM

TG it's so easy to video record now.

by Anonymousreply 388March 31, 2021 5:15 PM

I thought the Cup Foods kid did very well on the stand.

Surprised that Chauvin's defense didn't bust him over selling cigarettes while underage.

by Anonymousreply 389March 31, 2021 5:18 PM

Oh no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390March 31, 2021 5:30 PM

I had to laugh when the kid at the store didn't even ask what brand Floyd wanted. It's already a given, you don't have to ask.

by Anonymousreply 391March 31, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote]The drugs in Floyd's system could be a problem for murder. He might have died anyway with so many drugs already in his system.

At that same *exact* moment? I highly doubt it. Nonetheless, that's what the defense is trying to get the jury to believe.

by Anonymousreply 392March 31, 2021 5:38 PM

[Quote]TG it's so easy to video record now.

This is what I don't understand. Chauvin and his buddy Tao were very well aware of all the people filming them. In this day and age, why wasn't he concerned about the consequences AT ALL? There was a high probability these videos would end up on Twitter or YouTube minutes after the incident. There have been videos of racists tantrums (Central Park Karen) or crazy anti-maskers all year. Why continue? Why didn't Tao even for a second consider telling his buddy Chauvin to remove his knee or check Floyd's condition while several cameras were pointed at him? Plus with this angry mob, they must have known somebody would file a complaint with the PD. They even all had body cameras to document their misconduct. I mean WTH?

by Anonymousreply 393March 31, 2021 5:57 PM

r393 I fucking hope he doesn't get off, but if he does ... he must have known, deep down, it wouldn't matter, even if caught on video for the whole world to see.

I will be sick if he isn't convicted. He murdered someone, IN PLAIN VIEW, and even that may not be not enough for a conviction. This isn't a world I want to live in.

by Anonymousreply 394March 31, 2021 6:01 PM

They probably thought these people could video all they wanted, but ultimately the union would take their side & no one would care about one more dead junkie. All in a day's work, particularly for Chauvin who was a veteran of more than 1 complaint. That this whole thing exploded the way it did probably still shocks him.

by Anonymousreply 395March 31, 2021 6:02 PM

Chauvin's really packed on the pounds during his year in prison, he's a big fatty now.

by Anonymousreply 396March 31, 2021 6:05 PM

Sorry, he's been out of jail since October. Must be a lot of stress eating.

by Anonymousreply 397March 31, 2021 6:06 PM

One of the other cops was a real rookie, right? Like second day on the job or something... I can see why they wouldn't be telling another officer anything. But still 9 mins is EXTRA (as the kids say).

by Anonymousreply 398March 31, 2021 6:07 PM

Is Chauvin really out on bail? I thought the other three were, but Chauvin was still in prison. No? Where is this guy hiding if he's really out on bail? Someone was filming one of the other guys last year while he was in a supermarket getting snacks. She made sure the whole supermarket was aware that he was one of the people responsible for George Floyd's death. Screaming at him, calling him names for getting snacks while George Floyd was dead. I hope this happens every time they're out in public for the rest of their lifes.

by Anonymousreply 399March 31, 2021 6:17 PM

Chauvin is a seasoned veteran of the Academy of Asshole Cops, but as reported by the NYT, one (maybe two) of the younger guys involved went through some kind of community policing/de-escalation program, designed to prevent this very kind of thing, which doesn't give much hope for training or the next generation of cops

by Anonymousreply 400March 31, 2021 6:18 PM

I wonder if any of the people saying "George Floyd was a bad guy with behavior/drug problems" changed thier minds after watching that store clerk testify. Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 401March 31, 2021 6:19 PM

R400, you're right, but there is such a deep culture of "know your place" in the police force. The senior cops are absolutely awful to the rookies/newbies. That kind of intimidation is enough to silence the more rational police officers.

by Anonymousreply 402March 31, 2021 6:23 PM

R370, 1st-degree murder is not charged here. Only 2nd-degree Murder, 3rd-Degree Murder, and 2nd-Degree Manslaughter. My post at R369 cribbed what they'll have to prove on the 2nd-degree or 3rd-degree murder charges.

For the lesser offense of 2nd-Degree Manslaughter they have to show a) Causation of the death; and b) that he caused the death by "culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another."

You can read a breakdown of the charges and what has to be proved online by Googling "Chauvin charges"

by Anonymousreply 403March 31, 2021 6:26 PM

Re: the plea deal. I've been reading up on this, and evidently Chauvin was willing to take a 10 year sentence as long as it was in a federal and not a state prison, and somehow that fat hog of an AG Barr stuck his nose into it and nixed the whole deal on the very day the trial was to start.

To me, this is second degree murder, but I don't think they'll be able to get that to stick. Hopefully third degree or manslaughter - which carries 7-10 years in MN. I am hoping the police chief's testimony will help the prosecution. And I think the defense will have a hard time proving the "angry mob" theory, when there were only about 12 or 15 people on the street, many of them minors.

I don't know what kind of prisons they have in MN, but I don't see how Chauvin can survive without protective custody. Hopefully he won't get that. And I hope they stick him with the highest monetary fine possible (manslaughter carries up to $30K) that he will never be able to repay for the rest of his miserable life.

by Anonymousreply 404March 31, 2021 6:28 PM

Sorry, at R403, left out to Google "Newsweek Chauvin charges" Newsweek has a concise breakdown up.

by Anonymousreply 405March 31, 2021 6:28 PM

I predict a manslaughter conviction. But Chauvin is a dead man if he serves time. Someone will kill him in prison.

by Anonymousreply 406March 31, 2021 6:28 PM

Yes, R406, that surely is why he wanted a deal to serve Federally. He probably thought his chances could be better in one of the Federal facilities.

by Anonymousreply 407March 31, 2021 6:29 PM

CNN is sure ginning for a race war with all this coverage - no matter what the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 408March 31, 2021 6:32 PM

R404, to be fair, NYT and CBS reported that ,in addition to a guarantee he could serve at a Federal prison, Chauvin also wanted a guarantee that no Federal charges would be brought provided he pled to a 10-year state sentence. Expert sources were quoted saying no US AG would agree to that. I'd agree to it to get this done. But experienced sources did say it would be inappropriate of Barr to agree to that.

by Anonymousreply 409March 31, 2021 6:32 PM

CNN race war troll ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 410March 31, 2021 6:33 PM

R408 Yep, since Trump left office their ratings have been down and they need something like last years riots to kick off again. Disney should repeat Black Panther on ABC as well, it would get great ratings.

by Anonymousreply 411March 31, 2021 6:36 PM

One of the commentators on MSNBC said that all that had to done (and is usually done) for passing a counterfeit bill is to give a ticket. I hope that's elaborated on during this trial.

by Anonymousreply 412March 31, 2021 6:42 PM

Holy mother fucking shit. This bodycam footage is horrible. That poor man.

by Anonymousreply 413March 31, 2021 6:43 PM

The more testimony and footage I see, the more I realize this was a personal vendetta on Chauvin's part. Floyd was as cool as a cucumber inside the store. And this was a MISDEMEANOR offense. Chauvin got his opportunity to kill Floyd, and jumped on it. He deserves life at the very minimum.

by Anonymousreply 414March 31, 2021 6:43 PM

Watching the footage, it seems like Floyd sensed what his fate was, coupled with having an anxiety attack. It is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 415March 31, 2021 6:47 PM

Bad man, his wife left his ass the moment this happened, probably a grifter in her own right. He won't last in the pen.

by Anonymousreply 416March 31, 2021 6:52 PM

I had not seen any video of the arrest until last night on YouTube. Having watched what happened, I have to conclude that Chauvin is guilty. It’s possible that Chauvin could have wanted to kill or that he knew his actions could lead to death, but it seems a challenge to prove that. He’ll be a dead man walking even if convicted of just manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 417March 31, 2021 6:53 PM

I just can't imagine that anyone on the jury doesn't already realize that scumbag Chauvin is guilty of murder.

by Anonymousreply 418March 31, 2021 6:54 PM

Chauvin didn't have a choice to give a ticket or consider it "only a misdemeanor." Read the 25-page transcript from the full bodycam. It was only the 3 rookies on the scene throughout the whole drama up to the point Floyd was in the police car screaming and yelling to let him get out and lie on the ground. That was the point Chauvin arrived. The situation had already gone to an in-custody arrest, which the suspect was resisting, the suspect was yelling his head off that he wanted to lie on the ground, and one of the rookies called the EMTs to the scene in the middle of that. That was just as Chauvin entered the scene.

So if you want to cast blame on the grounds there should have been "just a ticket," or it was "just a misdemeanor," you have to blame the 3 rookies for the sequence of events before Chauvin arrived. However, the transcript will make it hard for you to cast that blame. Either the call from the store to the dispatch, or word from the store people at the scene, imparted that Floyd seemed to be under the influence and not in his right self. (Which is true, he almost falls over at one point on the store camera feed)

When the rookies arrived and approached Floyd's vehicle, Floyd did not comply when told to get his hands visible and on the wheel. He continued not to comply, and the situation escalated from there. Floyd's actions generated every single thing that occurred . . . until Chauvin and the other cop failed to release their pressure on his air passageways once he was legitimately secured and immobile.

by Anonymousreply 419March 31, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] One of the commentators on MSNBC said that all that had to done (and is usually done) for passing a counterfeit bill is to give a ticket.

That bothers me, if it’s true that people passing counterfeit currency only have to pay a fine. There should be prison time, and the law allows up to 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 420March 31, 2021 6:57 PM

I read on Twitter that one of jurors had a strong emotional reaction to the trial and has trouble sleeping. Unfortunately no source where he got that information from. If true, even jurors are traumatized by all this footage.

by Anonymousreply 421March 31, 2021 7:00 PM

Really, R420? Do you carefully inspect bills when you get change at the store? Because "passing counterfeit currency" includes people who unknowingly pass on fake bills that they unknowingly received. You need a lot more to get hit with a charge serious enough to include jail time.

by Anonymousreply 422March 31, 2021 7:02 PM

Who uses cash anymore?

by Anonymousreply 423March 31, 2021 7:04 PM

R400 that kind of training is ultimately useless though if the larger police culture continues where you have no ability/authority to stop things like this. As others have said, Chauvin was not at all deterred by the fact that he was being filmed--clearly he thought he'd get away with it. So what good does a rookie cop saying "hey, this is wrong" or "this needs to stop" do if there are no consequences and in fact th rookie is more likely to face hostility from fellow officers for speaking up?

by Anonymousreply 424March 31, 2021 7:06 PM

The store guy went to the car first, saying the bill was counterfeit and asking for the merch back. Maybe he asked for either the merch or a genuine bill, no idea. But he went to the car asking, and Floyd refused. It was after that that the store guy called the police. Floyd was basically a loser, creep, and lifer fuck-up of the highest order, and the hagiography and angel wings given this guy are vomit-inducing. But even a loser and unmitigated dirtbag like this no-account person resisting a lawful arrest, deserves to have his airways freed from pressure starting the very second he is secured and immobilized.

by Anonymousreply 425March 31, 2021 7:11 PM

The body cam footage. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 426March 31, 2021 7:11 PM

R425, the store clerk testified that he thought Floyd wasn't even aware that the bill might be counterfeit. And it's telling that the clerk felt no fear about confronting Floyd about it, following him, or asking for the merchandise back. Floyd didn't hurt or threaten him, or even get really angry. This is the monster the defense wants you to believe needed to be subdued with a knee to the neck for 8+ minutes.

McMillan (the man who confronted Chauvin after Floyd was taken away in an ambulance) is also a compelling witness. It's clear what he saw just broke him.

by Anonymousreply 427March 31, 2021 7:27 PM

Who's on the stand now?

Sorry, trying to finish a work project and can't give the trial my full attention

by Anonymousreply 428March 31, 2021 7:58 PM

I have to turn the video off of him screaming every time. I can't watch it for more than a few seconds

by Anonymousreply 429March 31, 2021 8:38 PM

My 93-year old Dad often acts like George Floyd when he's extremely dehydrated, has a bad UTI, or just because he's a 93-year old blind man with dementia. Physically and verbally combative. More than once when we've called 911 for ambulance the police have arrived first, before the firefighter or paramedics. Watching the bodycam footage sends me back to the last Dad incident in mid-Feb.

It's so scary to think if the wrong cops answer the 911 call, my wonderful, funny, brilliant, amazing Dad could end up dead on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 430March 31, 2021 8:45 PM

Has the body cam footage been previously released publicly?

by Anonymousreply 431March 31, 2021 8:59 PM

I still can't believe all those people stood around filming while his head turned purple. Why are people so passive?

I encounter this all the time with the Under-40s. "Why didn't you report this?" "Why didn't you tell someone?"

"I don't know".

Was is their castrating helicopter tigermoms who beat out all the pro-activity out of them?

by Anonymousreply 432March 31, 2021 9:02 PM

r432, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 433March 31, 2021 9:04 PM

Because they were (99% of them) black and didn't want to wind up shot dead on the sidewalk?

Because most of them were kids, gobsmacked and traumatized watching our sworn guardians acting like Mafiosi or any random felonious thug from the 'hood?

by Anonymousreply 434March 31, 2021 9:09 PM

Everyone likes to think that they'd have intervened and been a hero but the reality is that these are cops in positions of power and with guns, restraints. More likely you'd have been shot or arrested and still wouldn't have saved Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 435March 31, 2021 9:13 PM

These cops seemed more like ISIS terrorists than police officers. A culture that breeds people like Chauvin needs to be reevaluated and retrained. No wonder they didn't want to release the footage and we'd probably never see it if the judge didn't allow the proceedings to be televised.

by Anonymousreply 436March 31, 2021 10:00 PM

Jesus the virtue signaling in this thread is almost at twitter levels. Yes, you should all be heroes and take on the cops and hopefully they'll do everyone a favor and put all your asses in jail.

by Anonymousreply 437March 31, 2021 10:02 PM

That 27 million settlement everyone on this thread was complaining about seems pretty on point after watching today. I'm sure as the days go on it will become even more apparent.

by Anonymousreply 438March 31, 2021 10:06 PM

Ah yes, 27 million for the family that had nothing to do with the man. I'm sure it won't all just end up on drugs and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 439March 31, 2021 10:08 PM

Would the Floyd family return the money if there was a magic wand to bring him back, sorry I don't believe they would, they wouldn't even consider it.

by Anonymousreply 440March 31, 2021 10:12 PM

Of course they wouldn't, I bet once they realized they could make money out of this, they were over the moon.

by Anonymousreply 441March 31, 2021 10:13 PM

R440, who cares what his family is or thinks? The point is absolutely moot in this case. The poor guy is dead. In fact, if it were possible, the question should be directed to George Floyd, and whether HE would rather be here or dead with his family 27 million dollars richer.

by Anonymousreply 442March 31, 2021 10:25 PM

Regardless of the verdict, one knows the blacks will be doing their Christmas shopping very early..plenty of stores to loot.

by Anonymousreply 443March 31, 2021 10:30 PM

I love how all these racist fucks keep coming back here to tell us Floyd's family would rather have the $27 million than him alive when we all know your families feel the same about you. If any of your parents were offered $27 million in exchange for you getting strangled by a cop, you'd all be dead.

by Anonymousreply 444March 31, 2021 10:44 PM

R443 At least they don’t try to overthrow our government, kill our representatives, and get elected to further drive us into authoritarianism.

OH, and republicans giving tax cuts to the ultra rich for 40 years is the REAL LOOTING you racist, RUSSIAN or RUSSIAN disinformation spreading piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 445March 31, 2021 10:45 PM

Despite what led up to it, the real question is: did Chauvin knowingly try to kill the man? Is he going to take the stand to defend himself?

by Anonymousreply 446March 31, 2021 10:49 PM

I agree with R436 that while everyone likes to think they'd be the hero, most people would just stand there in fear & certainly would not cross the cops as you'd like be the one under their knee next. What I don't get, however, is recording a person *dying* on a cellphone. Why would you want to record that?

I remember once being in a multi-car accident- totaled cars but minor injuries. People are staggering out their cars & what are bystanders doing - not reaching out a hand, but recording it on their cellphones. It was like something out of Black Mirror

by Anonymousreply 447March 31, 2021 10:52 PM

Chauvin kept his knee on Floyd's neck with his weight bearing down a full FOUR MINUTES after Floyd became nonresponsive. Neither of the other officers had the decency to even ask him to let up a little.

There is nothing any of them can say to explain that.

(Except to the racists of course.)

by Anonymousreply 448March 31, 2021 10:53 PM

R447 they weren't recording the dying, the were recording the officers murdering him. And you can bet your ass if no one had recorded them, the police would have lied their asses off and their bodycam footage mysteriously disappeared.

The store clerk testified that he also filmed it but deleted it because he couldn't stand having that footage.

by Anonymousreply 449March 31, 2021 10:55 PM

R447, I agree—but on the other hand, in this case, it brought this horrific act to a new level. If there were no video, this probably would have been swept under the rug.

by Anonymousreply 450March 31, 2021 10:55 PM

R444, maybe your parents feel that way about you (classic projection much?)

by Anonymousreply 451March 31, 2021 11:01 PM

I feel gross reading this thread

by Anonymousreply 452March 31, 2021 11:02 PM

R446 Chauvin is either an ice cold killer or has shit for brains. Either way, he should never had been a cop. I doubt that he'll take the stand but the police chief will be testfying. The prosecution must be licking their chops.

by Anonymousreply 453March 31, 2021 11:08 PM

The MSNBC reporter said that several members of the jury would not look at the videos of Floyd and stared straight ahead with folded arms.

That does NOT sound like a good thing for the prosecutors.

Some of the comments on this thread are beyond disgusting, even for Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 454March 31, 2021 11:10 PM

R451, funny you single me out for projection but not the racist talking about Floyd's family as if they know anything about them.

by Anonymousreply 455March 31, 2021 11:13 PM

[quote]Would the Floyd family return the money if there was a magic wand to bring him back, sorry I don't believe they would, they wouldn't even consider it.

Still doesn't justify killing him, but I'm sure you knew that!

by Anonymousreply 456March 31, 2021 11:13 PM

R454 why do you assume that's bad for the prosecutors? Maybe they're not looking directly at the screen because they can't take watching that scene over and over (I think they're up to at least 5 videos of it at this point).

by Anonymousreply 457March 31, 2021 11:15 PM

[quote]The MSNBC reporter said that several members of the jury would not look at the videos of Floyd and stared straight ahead with folded arms.

[quote]That does NOT sound like a good thing for the prosecutors.

Maybe they're emotionally exhausted? The videos are very difficult to watch. I have to turn them off.

by Anonymousreply 458March 31, 2021 11:16 PM

I asked a very compassionate social worker how she could treat some of the truly obnoxious people she encounters so well and she said she didn't start out with much compassion. She said it's a discipline, she had to train her mind every day to think compassionate thoughts about the people she worked with until it became her habitual attitude.

I told my neighbor who is a retired 50 year old police officer what she said and he agreed. He said he spoke with a police psychologist earlier in his career who advised him to drench his mind in the belief that every person's life deserves respect, without that belief a police officer would never have any peace of mind. The psychologist told him he would have the mental protection to maintain his humanity when the stressful events accumulated.

Even with that mental discipline he still had to retire a few years early due to severe PTSD and he doesn't go anywhere without his trained PTSD canine.

by Anonymousreply 459March 31, 2021 11:19 PM

Amazing how some officers can manage to find the compassion to acknowledge that the white guy who murdered 8 people in a shooting spree was "having a bad day."

by Anonymousreply 460March 31, 2021 11:34 PM

The racists got pretty owned in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 461March 31, 2021 11:44 PM

Did the question ever come up whether leaning on the neck of a perpetrator was a legitimate tool for police officers to use to further restrict an already handcuffed and on the ground guy?

by Anonymousreply 462March 31, 2021 11:45 PM

Chauvin arrived on scene he became the senior officer and wasn’t going to take any shit. It was a combo of the hot corner, a guy under the influence and a black guy passing a fake bill. Chauvin wasn’t going to let up. He was immune to his own violence and bias.

It’s similar to abusive people beating a child. They go all the way and beat the kid. There isn’t any reasoning as they are in their bully/beat down mode. The part of the brain that is rational turns off and they go baseline.

The above posters are correct when they mention people filming them didn’t bother them. Why would it? They weren’t expecting Floyd to die. They meet force with a little extra force to teach the lesson.

The police didn’t police themselves after this. They came out and and said BLM is a Marxist organization. Yes, deescalate is the mantra, however a rookie doesn’t get to tell a senior officer what is right or wrong.

During my EMT class there was a student that was leaving law enforcement and he was a complete dick. I know myopic and not indicative of all law enforcement. He struggled in the class because he was lacking empathy and the ability to communicate well with others and was openly dismissive to several people including instructors who didn’t look like him. He mentioned he was leaving law enforcement because you can’t police anymore. Um, not true. You can’t get away with being an asshole anymore, but you can still police.

by Anonymousreply 463March 31, 2021 11:48 PM

Did the question ever come up whether leaning on the neck of a perpetrator was a legitimate tool for police officers to use to further restrict an already handcuffed and on the ground guy?

You can restrain the perpetrator by force if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 464March 31, 2021 11:50 PM

That's not answering my question at all R464. I hope you and me can agree that restraining doesn't mean killing.

-R462

by Anonymousreply 465March 31, 2021 11:58 PM

Both can only be conducted when a subject is resisting arrest, per the policy, and unconscious neck restraint is allowed only when subjects are aggressively resisting and can't be subdued in another manner. ... 'It's not just putting pressure on someone's neck. It's really dangerous.May 28, 2020

Once he was subdued, they can not.

by Anonymousreply 466April 1, 2021 12:01 AM

Floyd's family shoud get a reality show on how they spend the money. It would be a big hit in certain segments of the population. RIP man, your family sure isn't thinking of you when not in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 467April 1, 2021 12:09 AM

I have a question: who called the paramedics? The bystanders or the officers?

That is the biggest mystery to me. EVEN IF we set aside the neck kneeling (and I know that's what killed him -- but playing devil's advocate for the sake of the trolls), it is very clear he's having a medical emergency earlier, as they're trying to put him into the car. At best, it was an anxiety attack. He is clearly distressed.

Don't they have some protocol for dealing with mentally ill/distressed people?? And wouldn't that involve calling the paramedics???

by Anonymousreply 468April 1, 2021 12:20 AM

R467-- Fuck off , you fascist pos. The police are not the judges of who lives and who dies in this country. Your repulsive attempt to defend the indefensible will never sway anyone on this website.

by Anonymousreply 469April 1, 2021 12:21 AM

The Floyd family already announced donations to the Salvation Army where George had worked as well as to the local businesses at the site of his death, and they've said more to come. But that will not stop the little racists that could from obsessing over things that are none of their business.

R468, bystanders usually can't just call paramedics, you call 911 and they dispatch the emergency services. Typically it's police or firefighters who arrive first and then confirm whatever else is needed. The police radioed for paramedics at some point and then upgraded the call to speed them up. There were several 911 calls from the witnesses, including the off duty firefighter/EMT and the martial arts expert who testified yesterday. AND a 911 operator who was monitoring the street surveillance footage after the very first call told a police sergeant she was concerned about what was happening and they needed to send someone else out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470April 1, 2021 12:36 AM

I believe the officers told dispatch they needed medical. However, the EMT that testified was mystified why the nearest firehouse did not respond. Bystanders called 911 after police had requested medical. They had an EMT on scene, scolded her and did not let her check vitals nor provide care. Officer Tao never checked her credentials.

by Anonymousreply 471April 1, 2021 12:37 AM

R467 May you get in the cross hairs of a cop who doesn’t like you for some reason. You are begging karma to visit you.

by Anonymousreply 472April 1, 2021 12:37 AM

Firefighters did show up eventually, but after the paramedics. Usually they are first. Apparently there was also a mix up and the paramedics went to the wrong location at first.

by Anonymousreply 473April 1, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]Was is their castrating helicopter tigermoms who beat out all the pro-activity out of them?

Um, no. The people in this neighborhood didn't have "tiger moms." Quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 474April 1, 2021 12:47 AM

Thanks r470 / r471

by Anonymousreply 475April 1, 2021 12:59 AM

R474 Well, at least they don’t have Q moms.

by Anonymousreply 476April 1, 2021 1:04 AM

When lions catch their prey, they don't maul it to death; they grab it by the throat, bring it to the ground, and wait patiently until it suffocates.

That's what Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck reminds me of (not to compare that pig Chauvin to a noble lion).

by Anonymousreply 477April 1, 2021 2:54 AM

The police called the EMTs, or called dispatch and asked for it. It's there in the 25-page transcript that is online from the full bodycam footage.

]]]Did the question ever come up whether leaning on the neck of a perpetrator was a legitimate tool for police officers to use to further restrict an already handcuffed and on the ground guy?[[[

The scope of the right to do this extends only to the extent of the necessity to do it. That would seem to indicate that continuing to do it even one second after the perp is effectively restrained and no threat, is unlawful. However, SEE, Rodney King verdict, where King was technically resisting in the sense of not staying down when he was told to stay down, so the police initially had a legal right to restrain/subdue---that they then exceeded, times, like, to the 100th power. And were still acquitted. But this one looks and feels different.

I dunno, I was betting above in this thread there was a good chance of Murder 3, but iffy at best on Murder 2. I'm reconsidering now on Murder 2. For Murder 2, Chauvin has to have a) caused the death; and b) caused it while committing or attempting to commit a felony. Don't know the Minnesota statutes on unlawful/excessive force including restraints, but the egregiousness of that completely uncalled-for and thus unlawful pressure for the nine minutes, should take him into felony territory. Looking at you, Murder Two.

by Anonymousreply 478April 1, 2021 4:42 AM

I don't even think you need to consider the full 9 minutes. Assuming the police were totally justified in everything up to and including 3 officers piling on Floyd face down and handcuffed (I don't believe this, but just for the sake of argument), the last 4 minutes are completely inexplicable. For four minutes after Floyd loses consciousness, all 3 officers remain on top of him, and Chauvin keeps his weight on that knee to the neck. There's just no justification, none whatsoever, for that.

by Anonymousreply 479April 1, 2021 4:49 AM

I've read the entire body transcript repeatedly and seen most of the footage, but today was the first time I saw Chauvin inside the vehicle grabbing Floyd's neck with both hands. I guess the case could be made Floyd needed to be held long enough for the other cop to cuff him, but Chauvin looks monstrous in that footage . . . and then to keep it up once he was cuffed and down . . . Murder 2 is definitely in play here, unless Causation. Time to nose around and find out how Minnesota defines "causing" ia death n the context of these statutory charge.

by Anonymousreply 480April 1, 2021 4:50 AM

Is he charged with murder one? I don't think that will stick if so.

by Anonymousreply 481April 1, 2021 5:18 AM

[quote]609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE

[quote]Subd. 2.Unintentional murders. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) is not applicable here, but...

[quote](2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim

Good luck arguing that maintaining pressure on an unconscious man’s neck was an attempt to subdue rather than an intentional infliction of bodily harm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 1, 2021 5:33 AM

The autopsy claims that he did of a heat attack but that the heart attack was not due to asphyxiation. In almost all of these scenarios there would be extreme bruising and crushed trachea. There was not ever a bruise on his neck.

by Anonymousreply 483April 1, 2021 6:03 AM

Why didn't they taze him when he was putting up a fight in the car?

by Anonymousreply 484April 1, 2021 6:09 AM

Stop bullshitting R483. You don't need extreme bruising or a crushed trachea to cut off someone's breathing. And Floyd's face was cut up and bruised from being pushed into the ground with the officer's weight on his neck. The private autopsies said he died of asphyxiation, the medical examiner ruled it a homicide--a heart attack brought on by restraint and neck compression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485April 1, 2021 6:24 AM

Actually that was one of the things that is also an issue. His face was not bruised or marked up. The first witnesses are to ramp up the emotion by the prosecution but the defense has medical evidence.

by Anonymousreply 486April 1, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote]His face was not bruised or marked up.

From "blunt force injuries," the first section of the Hennepin County autopsy linked below:

[quote]A. Cutaneous blunt force injuries of the forehead, face, and upper lip

[quote]B. Mucosal injuries of the lips

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487April 1, 2021 7:30 AM

Itemized:

[quote]4 cm maximum dimension abraded red-black-purple contusion, lateral corner of left brow

[quote]Pinpoint red abrasion, just left of the midline of the forehead

[quote]6.5 cm maximum dimension red-black abrasion, left cheek

[quote]0.6 cm maximum dimension red abrasion, just inferior to left corner of mouth

[quote]0.8 cm maximum dimension curvilinear red avulsion, just superior to right side of upper lip

[quote]Eight pinpoint to 0.2 cm maximum dimension red abrasions, right side of nose

[quote]Faint blue contusions on the body of the nose (3.5 cm), right naris (1.5 cm), and left naris (1.0 cm)

[quote]1.5 cm maximum dimension aggregate of pink-purple mucosal abrasions and lacerations, upper lip

[quote]2 cm maximum dimension aggregate of pink-orange mucosal abrasions and lacerations, lower lip

by Anonymousreply 488April 1, 2021 7:40 AM

God some of you are really fucking into this.

by Anonymousreply 489April 1, 2021 7:46 AM

R441 And I bet you got Cheeto stains on your fingers.

I mean...they had a gun drawn on the guy before he even got out of the car. That video made me so emotional. Hearing a grown man begging for his life and calling for his mother just floored me. Those jurors refusing to look at the video is great for the prosecution. It's tough watching a man slowly tortured to death. Not to mention the video of Chauvin seemingly not giving a fuck after it was over.

BTW, the knee-on-the-neck restraint had been removed from protocol way before Floyd, and this fucker has MULTIPLE complaints on record. He's the new poster boy for police brutality. There's NO WAY he's getting out of this. Sorry, trolls.

by Anonymousreply 490April 1, 2021 9:40 AM

Geez, no wonder he acted totally erratic in that store video. Judging by the autopsy report, was high as fuck. The probably wasn't a single drug he wasn't on.

Not that this excuses in any way the cops' handling of him.

by Anonymousreply 491April 1, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote]Geez, no wonder he acted totally erratic in that store video. Judging by the autopsy report, was high as fuck. The probably wasn't a single drug he wasn't on.

He was far from erratic, dude. He was stoned but friendly and talking to people.

by Anonymousreply 492April 1, 2021 10:06 AM

Everyone failed that day: Floyd for resisting; the cops for being dumb and inept; the crowd for standing there and doing nothing.

This is a disturbing trend in this country: when tragedy strikes everyone fucks up. Over and over we fail.

I think I would have walked up behind Chauvin, tucked my fingers in his shirt collar and pulled him backwards til he lost his balance. Then ran like hell.

by Anonymousreply 493April 1, 2021 10:12 AM

Floyd isn’t on trial. He was not out of his mind acting violent. Stoned or inebriated doesn’t justify what happened. Resisting doesn’t justify what happened. Once he was unconscious, all bets were off. Cops are trained for various scenarios. Chauvin chose not to switch tactics once Floyd was unconscious. He was pissed Floyd resisted and let his emotions get in the way of doing his job.

All the Chauvin defenders reek of DL via Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 494April 1, 2021 11:33 AM

After all the testimony yesterday, the trial should have been over.

by Anonymousreply 495April 1, 2021 11:43 AM

I will not blame the crowd for refusing to step in. They tried their best vocally but they were already watching the cops killing a man. They knew exactly what these cops were capable of.

by Anonymousreply 496April 1, 2021 12:53 PM

R494, you pegged it exactly. Once Floyd was unconscious, it stepped from manslaughter to third or second degree murder. Chauvin bypassed every recognized protocol because he was pissed. And he was probably even more pissed at the crowds so he was obstinate that he was not going to let them tell him how to police.

by Anonymousreply 497April 1, 2021 12:56 PM

I know a lot of you on this thread have good intentions, but don't engage the trolls that are all over this thread. Punch and delete.

In the immortal words of Muriel:

[quote]Please use the Flames and freaks, ignore poster and ignore thread features instead of engaging in pointless arguments with trolls. You are not going to change their minds. They do not care what you post. All they care about is the attention they receive. Don't give it to them.

by Anonymousreply 498April 1, 2021 1:05 PM

Does anyone know who's testifying today?

by Anonymousreply 499April 1, 2021 1:19 PM

Was it ever revealed why the cop's wife divorced him. She filed papers just days after Geoge Floyd's death.

by Anonymousreply 500April 1, 2021 1:21 PM

R498, it's amazing how much this thread cleans up once you block the obvious trolls. Next, check your "ignored" queue, it's just one despicable, racist, outrageous, deplorable nonsense across all threads.

by Anonymousreply 501April 1, 2021 1:34 PM

R501, check the many threads on Biden's rescue dogs. It's a literal dog-whistle for trolls to gather and complain about the dems.

by Anonymousreply 502April 1, 2021 1:46 PM

For everyone to do as you posted @R498, Muriel to do her part, as well.

NO excuse for not red-tagging and shit-canning the trolls. It's not that hard; she used to do it all the time in the good old days.

And we had a ton more posters back then.

by Anonymousreply 503April 1, 2021 2:00 PM

R482, the cribsheet I posted at R369 and R405 states the elements of the charges differently from your post. I pulled mine off a Newsweek explainer. Looking online I'm seeing explainers in other mainstream outlets that are different from what either of us posted. I wonder if the newspeople are paraphrasing imprecisely or what. The Newsweek article is Googlable at "Newsweek Chauvin charges."

by Anonymousreply 504April 1, 2021 2:03 PM

R500, as far as I know it wasn’t, but people have mentioned that when a spouse commits a crime, the couple immediately divorces so the innocent spouse can preserve half or more of the assets through the divorce.

Some have even described it as money laundering. I guess if the guilty spouse knows they’re going away, they don’t fight the wife in getting the house or cars or whatever, since they’re just going to lose everything anyway. And if they divorce quickly, it’s no longer their asset, it’s the wife’s asset. So it’s protected from legal fees or being seized.

by Anonymousreply 505April 1, 2021 2:52 PM

I am willing to bet $$$ that Chauvin has physically abused past intimate partners

by Anonymousreply 506April 1, 2021 2:57 PM

R505, I get it. But still....people regard marriage with such loose morals. It's scummy and disloyal and speaks volumes to their moral character. Stand by your mother fucking man.

by Anonymousreply 507April 1, 2021 2:59 PM

Yay! The defense is driving home the "George Floyd is a drug addict" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 508April 1, 2021 3:01 PM

And just to be clear at r508, I am being facetious with the "yay."

by Anonymousreply 509April 1, 2021 3:02 PM

I don’t know how you expect bystanders to intervene and jump the cops as they are watching this unfold.

by Anonymousreply 510April 1, 2021 3:07 PM

R508, I feel like this scummy tactic might backfire on the defense. Unfortunately, this story is much more widespread and universal across race and class. I certainly can relate to a lot of what she's describing with sharing pills and chronic pain--and I'm white, middle-class, and professional.

by Anonymousreply 511April 1, 2021 3:08 PM

r511 to be honest, I think it's better that he was on opioids and not crack. I think white people have less sympathy for Blacks on crack (no evidence though) because opioids have affected so many white communities. The stigma surrounding crack started in the 1980s ... a long time. That said, I've known just as many white crackheads as Black (I had a few wild years in my 20s)

by Anonymousreply 512April 1, 2021 3:12 PM

I am doing 20 things at once now so maybe didn't express myself well, but the point I was making at r512 is that starting in the 1980s, the perception that crack made Black men even MORE violent pervaded ... not sure how much that view has gone away

by Anonymousreply 513April 1, 2021 3:15 PM

Something inherently sleazy about the defense witness, right? And he also seems not the brightest penny in the pocket.

Crack and black folk - well, duh. The ridiculously disparate sentencing for possessing crack vs. powder cocaine was all about targeting black people (who were assumed to smoke coke more than snort or shoot it).

Junior is going to try to put Floyd on street drugs including meth....

by Anonymousreply 514April 1, 2021 3:19 PM

^^ Sorry, I meant the defense attorney. He seems like an angry car salesman.

by Anonymousreply 515April 1, 2021 3:21 PM

Right [R515]; defense counsel creeps me out on many levels, not the least of which is he strongly resembles my ex. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 516April 1, 2021 3:38 PM

I thought Courtney Ross did an amazing job testifying to the defense and prosecution. She really didn't cave into the defense's bully tactics.

by Anonymousreply 517April 1, 2021 3:40 PM

I’d be crying too if I wasn’t getting anymore of his BBC

by Anonymousreply 518April 1, 2021 3:43 PM

I understand why the defense crossed, but all in all Courteney Ross’ testimony continued to humanize George Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 519April 1, 2021 3:44 PM

R519 agreed. She tells the jury and the world, he was very much loved by at least one person.

by Anonymousreply 520April 1, 2021 3:49 PM

Sorry, but the defense attorney did a pretty good job with Courtney Ross. He established the fact that she gave testimony before to her drug use, his drug use, their purchase of drugs that had bad effects on them. And she also testified that the people they bought the sketchy drugs from were there with George Floyd that day. The defense attorney is sowing the seeds of reasonable doubt.

There were times Ms Ross tried to qualify her original testimony to the FBI.

Of course, we haven't gotten to the expert witnesses yet.

by Anonymousreply 521April 1, 2021 3:49 PM

Floyd was a worthless piece of shit, but nobody deserved what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 522April 1, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote] She tells the jury and the world, he was very much loved by at least one person.

So was Capone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523April 1, 2021 3:54 PM

R521 I see your point, but because she isn’t an expert witness, the drug stuff I don’t think hit the way the Defense might have expected it too. Also, as r512 stated, the fact that his drug of choice wasn’t crack, tempers the “black male on drugs” aspect.

I am quite curious to see how the defense counters when they call their expert witnesses.

by Anonymousreply 524April 1, 2021 4:05 PM

R524, good points. She's not an expert witness, but she also testified that Floyd had been recently hospitalized for an overdose and that he was doubled over in pain and that he foamed at the mouth. So, the defense attorney is trying to establish that he had had like episodes in the recent past.

The whole case for the defense rests on that toxicology report, the expert witnesses, and proving Chauvin and the others were just doing what they had been trained to do.

The eyewitness testimony had me convinced of conviction. I feel incredibly sorry for Christopher Martin. But today I wouldn't bet on conviction.

by Anonymousreply 525April 1, 2021 4:17 PM

Miss Ross surely misses Floyd's enormous BBC.

by Anonymousreply 526April 1, 2021 4:22 PM

R525 If I were on the jury, I wouldn’t have been swayed (off of conviction), but concede other jurors might be swayed to convict on a lesser charge like manslaughter.

But, this is only day 4!

by Anonymousreply 527April 1, 2021 4:28 PM

R61 I really felt for her...she knows this is going live all over the world. I don't know how much composure I would have sitting up there knowing Imbeing watched and judged by all.....

by Anonymousreply 528April 1, 2021 4:38 PM

r443 perhaps if they were given a fair shake in this life, they would need to loot for xmas

by Anonymousreply 529April 1, 2021 4:39 PM

Hammering on the drugged-up thing applies to two material elements--One being, the causation issue--With every one of these charges, Murder 2, Murder 3, and 2nd-Degree Manslaughter, the prosecution has to prove unlawful action by Chauvin caused the death.

The other issue it applies to is, the reasons Chauvin and the others had, for restraining him. The crack-versus-fentanyl issue posters are on about here, is irrelevant. The cops at the scene don't have a clue what's in his bloodstream. They just know he's a huge guy who is verrrry messed up, and who has gotten hiysterical and paranoid at the thought of being arrested and taken in (because he has parole conditions and/or warrants out--this is why many of them resist, flee, grab the taser, etc). He's bucking and kicking and thrashing around in the car, and he's messed up and foaming at the mouth.

The cops don't have to know whether he's on crack or fentanyl to have reason to be concerned about restraining a very big, messed-up guy. They have arrest encounters regularly where it take six cops to subdue, secure, and arrest one single messed-up person. They never know when confronting a messed-up person who gets hysterical and resists, whether that is gonna be one of those.

Thiis of course doesn't change the unlawfulness of continuing to press on his airways once he's secured. But the cops don't have to perform a medical diagnoses of "which" drug(s) he's on in order to legitimately have that concern based on the way he was carrying on in a clearly messed-up state.

by Anonymousreply 530April 1, 2021 4:41 PM

WTF is hooping?

by Anonymousreply 531April 1, 2021 4:43 PM

Hooping is putting the drugs in your ass for a quicker high.

by Anonymousreply 532April 1, 2021 4:45 PM

I don’t understand why if it’s load and go they didn’t immediately transfer to the hospital? You have the cop to supply chest compressions.

by Anonymousreply 533April 1, 2021 4:46 PM

And call for ALS assistance.

by Anonymousreply 534April 1, 2021 4:46 PM

Oh, wow, R532. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 535April 1, 2021 4:49 PM

I had to mute this EMT. He is so flat and disinterested, it's giving me intense anxiety. He must be buddies with the murderer. .

by Anonymousreply 536April 1, 2021 4:51 PM

Thanks, R530. Are you a LEO?

by Anonymousreply 537April 1, 2021 4:59 PM

R536, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 538April 1, 2021 5:01 PM

Not loving the female lawyer. She hasn't asked the paramedic if it is common for a cop to refuse to get off an unconscious man.

by Anonymousreply 539April 1, 2021 5:04 PM

I think he's just boring because he's mainly talking about paramedic protocols etc...

by Anonymousreply 540April 1, 2021 5:04 PM

The defense has nothing and is using pipe dreams. Like talking about a patient struggling which did not happen. Poor Mr Floyd was probably dead on the scene by the time the paramedics arrived.

by Anonymousreply 541April 1, 2021 5:23 PM

r541 didn't the dispatcher testify she saw him urinate and guessed that's when he died? I don't remember when that happened, though

by Anonymousreply 542April 1, 2021 5:25 PM

"Reasonable doubt" is, sadly, something more accessible to white people than others. I think there's data on this.

by Anonymousreply 543April 1, 2021 5:25 PM

George Floyd was asystole. He was dead by the time he was put in the ambulance.

by Anonymousreply 544April 1, 2021 5:25 PM

Mr Floyd died with a knee on his windpipe. He died with his face smashed into the tarmac.

by Anonymousreply 545April 1, 2021 5:28 PM

I hope this witness is more lively when he's paramedicing.

by Anonymousreply 546April 1, 2021 5:31 PM

Meant to write paramedic at r542

by Anonymousreply 547April 1, 2021 5:33 PM

No, R546. You want them to be unflappable.

by Anonymousreply 548April 1, 2021 5:34 PM

R548 Actually, I used to flap a paramedic from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 549April 1, 2021 5:39 PM

The defense doesn't have "nothing." Though, it's true they're not handling what they do have, terribly effectively at this point IMHO. Their job is to go for total acquittal, mainly on the causation element, and then be grateful if he's only convicted of 3rd-degree murder. The posters here, but mainly out there on SM, who think it's going to be acquittal on all counts, are wrong. He's going down, the question is, will they get on Murder 2? Of course, the Causation crowd would say, if there's reasonable doubt that Chauvin caused the death, that applies for all charges since they all require proof of causation.

One definition of causation is, would the person not have died, "but for" the unlawful act(s)? Would Floyd have come out of it alive "but for" Chauvin's neck pressure? The defense doesn't have to prove conclusively that drugs and heart disease would have killed Floyd regardless. They only have to introduce reasonable doubt, as to whether unlawful action by Chauvin was the "but for" cause.

They're also clearly trying to introduce reasonable doubt as to whether Chauvin's actions were unlawful, but that doesn't seem to be fertile ground for them.

by Anonymousreply 550April 1, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] I really felt for her...she knows this is going live all over the world

The US is not the world. Believe it or not, people in other countries have other things to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 551April 1, 2021 5:44 PM

That’s true r551, but the US is definitely the center of the world. I have relatives in another European country, and they are absolutely on top of everything that goes on here. The followed the impeachment stuff as well as the election, Black Lives Matter protests, and the Capitol invasion. I’m always surprised about how much they know.

by Anonymousreply 552April 1, 2021 5:49 PM

The testimony yesterday was enough to convict Chauvin

by Anonymousreply 553April 1, 2021 5:58 PM

Has the next thread been started?

by Anonymousreply 554April 1, 2021 6:05 PM

Chauvin has tiny dick face

by Anonymousreply 555April 1, 2021 6:15 PM

Why does the wife refer to him as “Floyd?” I only tuned in today so maybe I missed this. Wouldn’t she call him George? It just sounds weird.

by Anonymousreply 556April 1, 2021 6:24 PM

R553---Not any longer. The only color that matters now is GREEN. Trust me on this. My skinny, poor , white ass can tell you from painful experience. These animals know who they can abuse and who they can't. If white people think they are safe from police brutality because of their skin color they are in for a brutal awakening. No one is safe from them unless you have money. End of. Yes, poc have it worse, but everyone of us are in danger. White people had better wake tf up.

by Anonymousreply 557April 1, 2021 6:36 PM

Ffyod has 5 children. After taxes and jacked up attorneys fees there won't be much left of the 27 M for family.

by Anonymousreply 558April 1, 2021 6:36 PM

5 children. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 559April 1, 2021 6:38 PM

Why r559. We know plenty of white trash that have more kids.

by Anonymousreply 560April 1, 2021 6:39 PM

Now this paramedic is more like it. When he checked Mr Floyd at the scene he determined he was DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 561April 1, 2021 6:43 PM

Waiting for the comments as to the hotness of the paramedic...

by Anonymousreply 562April 1, 2021 6:44 PM

Of course a piece of garbage like Floyd had FIVE fucking kids. I'm not saying he should've died, but garbage people always have kids it seems.

by Anonymousreply 563April 1, 2021 6:44 PM

Did EMT Smith say he is from Georgia?

Please create a "Part 2" to this thread so that we don't go to the other troll thread currently running.

by Anonymousreply 564April 1, 2021 6:55 PM

I'm sure if the paramedics had known the length of time George Floyd was dead they wouldn't have tried to revive him.

by Anonymousreply 565April 1, 2021 6:58 PM

Here you go... part 2. Trolls begone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566April 1, 2021 7:06 PM

Thanks, R566!

by Anonymousreply 567April 1, 2021 7:12 PM

No, that isn't true r565, unless its a case of rigor mortis or decapitation, you tend to the patient and transport. You see that with George Floyd being in asystole. You still provide care and transport.

by Anonymousreply 568April 1, 2021 7:27 PM

Seth the paramedic was hot. Made me horny

by Anonymousreply 569April 1, 2021 7:28 PM

[quote] Seth the paramedic was hot. Made me horny

This is the quality DL content I'm here for, R569!!

by Anonymousreply 570April 1, 2021 9:04 PM

The supervisor, David Pleoger, is a DIRTY cop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571April 1, 2021 9:48 PM

This scumbag supervisor, David Pleoger, is a DIRTY cop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572April 1, 2021 9:49 PM

^^^ Agreed. I didn't find him at all believable. He was clearly siding with Chauvin.

by Anonymousreply 573April 1, 2021 9:54 PM

Does the prosecution get a chance to put Cauvin's ex wife on the bench as well? If George Floyd's drug past is of importance so should Chauvin's past with abusive behavior.

by Anonymousreply 574April 1, 2021 11:26 PM

Does it have to be a unanimous decision for the verdict by the jury. It's so racially charged, I'm sure a few blacks will dig their heals in for 3rd degree and some whites for not guilty or basic manslaughter. Is it a mistrial then?

by Anonymousreply 575April 2, 2021 7:11 AM

Yup, the ginger was smoking hot. Get to work ladies!!

by Anonymousreply 576April 2, 2021 9:08 AM

R575, yes, it has to be unanimous. I can see your scenario possibly. But hopefully the jury won’t be divided racially.

by Anonymousreply 577April 2, 2021 2:54 PM

I switched from CNN to Court TV. Biden is giving a update on the economy.

by Anonymousreply 578April 2, 2021 3:27 PM

They can argue about the drugs but Chauvin was on his neck for a long time with his hands in his pocket while people pleaded, yelled and begged for him to stop only to have the EMT have to get him off a lifeless body. That's what's going to do him in. No reasonable doubt there.

by Anonymousreply 579April 2, 2021 3:34 PM

I want to punch the lights out of this defense attorney.

by Anonymousreply 580April 2, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote]Cher from the same place the Kardashians are from. I forget what they are called. It's north of Syria and west of Turkey.

Cher is from El Centro, California.

by Anonymousreply 581April 2, 2021 5:13 PM

[quote] Chauvin was on his neck for a long time with his hands in his pocket

Again, he did not have his hands in his pocket. He was wearing gloves and they blended in to his pants in the video.

by Anonymousreply 582April 3, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] Apparently there was also a mix up and the paramedics went to the wrong location at first.

What the hell are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 583April 3, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] I don’t understand why if it’s load and go they didn’t immediately transfer to the hospital? You have the cop to supply chest compressions.

So you took zero from the paramedic’s testimony?

At minimum you need one person at the head using the BVM, one doing chest compressions and one to open an IV. They only initially had three people. No one to drive the ambulance until the fire department arrived.

by Anonymousreply 584April 3, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote] And call for ALS assistance.

Paramedics ARE ALS intervention. Shy of a nurse or physician, you’re not getting more advanced. And paramedics can administer drugs in an IV under the doctors orders, so even a doctor wouldn’t have made much difference.

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 585April 3, 2021 5:45 PM

Cher and the K's are of Armenian ethnicity, there's a large Armenian demographic in Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 586April 3, 2021 10:04 PM

R583:

[quote] The filings also indicate that an ambulance, called early in the encounter, did not respond right away and initially went to the wrong spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587April 3, 2021 10:43 PM

Thanks r587. I did remember reading this. This is a general comment: Unfortunately, no one can go back in time and make sure the ambulance went to the right place. What happened is that Chauvin held his knee on George Floyd way beyond what he should have (He shouldn’t have used his knee in the first place). The ambulance going elsewhere is a moot point in this scenario.

by Anonymousreply 588April 3, 2021 11:06 PM

R588 Had Chauvin NOT responded to the call from the Cup store regarding the fake $20, Floyd would still be alive. Even a rookie cop could have deescalated the situation without that kind of force. Once a person is cuffed, they are very limited in what they can do. This is a murder, there is nothing to debate.

by Anonymousreply 589April 3, 2021 11:31 PM

Exactly, r589.

by Anonymousreply 590April 3, 2021 11:34 PM

Just a reminder everyone—Part 2 is posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591April 3, 2021 11:35 PM

Untrue, R589. The three rookies WERE the police presence at the scene for a long while before Chauvin arrived. It was that trio who responded to the store. Not Chauvin. The situation had degenerated to the point where they were tussling around in the car trying to get Floyd settled and secure in there, and he was thrashing around shrieking that he was claustrophobic, his stomach hurt, he couldn't breathe and lemme get out and lie down. Chauvin's arrival on stage was to walk up to the car in the middle of that. I suspect he thought he was gonna show the rookies how it was done, and he thought he was also gonna make clear to Floyd that they were calling medics for him but he was still under arrest, that was not gonna go away, and he was gonna be secured and treated like an arrestee who was resisting arrest. Which Floyd was doing. But that still doesn't change the unlawfulness of putting pressure on two air passageway points for one second longer after Floyd was cuffed and down.

by Anonymousreply 592April 4, 2021 1:41 AM

Bad man, very bad man. No decent cop would stand behind this behavior.

by Anonymousreply 593April 4, 2021 11:20 AM

Anyone know if the trial continues tomorrow or is it a holiday?

by Anonymousreply 594April 5, 2021 2:17 AM

I once worked security with a guy who wanted to be a cop. He said he lived for the day when he could just put his knee on the back of someone's neck and squeeze. He wasn't Chauvin, but there is a type that is drawn to being able to use this kind of excessive force and unfortunately, most go on to become cops.

by Anonymousreply 595April 5, 2021 2:22 AM

R594 Tomorrow, 4/5

by Anonymousreply 596April 5, 2021 4:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!