Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Georgia activists call for Coca-Cola boycott over ‘deafening silence’ on voting rights

Push to get major corporations to oppose significant voting restrictions Republicans in the state are on the verge of approving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438November 8, 2021 4:35 AM

[quote] Relocate our Columbian death squads to Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2021 7:29 AM

I wouldn't trust anything from that propaganda-machine called Guardian.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2021 7:55 AM

This is the real deal. Coke is the most powerful American company based in Georgia. It really is up to them to do something. Up until now, they have played the game normally but there's nothing normal about the disenfranchisement happening down there right now.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2021 8:12 AM

I am glad that they are changing these voting laws. All of the propaganda platforms (CNN, NYT, WaPo) are going crazy over these laws.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2021 8:15 AM

Oh Coca Titania!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2021 8:19 AM

I was tempted to get a can of Coke today at the post office.

This makes me glad I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2021 8:44 AM

Good for Georgia activists. It's about time they realized mega corporations should dictate laws and policies to the government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2021 10:56 AM

I was always a Pepsi gal anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2021 11:01 AM

I enjoy an occasional Coke, so hope the company gets on board and puts pressure on Georgia Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2021 11:32 AM

Boycotting a blue Biden state. So funny.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2021 11:32 AM

Why do these idiots not realize having social issues sponsored by corporations is fascism?

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2021 11:38 AM

good, but I haven't drunk the stuff since I was a kid forty years ago . . . .

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2021 11:44 AM

Remember, their brands include Minute Maid products and Dasani bottled water, so non-soda drinkers can also boycott those.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2021 12:00 PM

Switch to Pepsi. Loudly.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2021 12:25 PM

Plenty of other companies to boycott, too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2021 12:52 PM

I only drink Coke imported in glass bottles from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2021 1:19 PM

[quote] Why do these idiots not realize having social issues sponsored by corporations is fascism?

Actually, it isn’t. “Fascist” is just another deplorable buzzword for rules and regulations stupid people don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2021 1:22 PM

By all means, let the engineers of the obesity epidemic have a say in how we do things.

Coca-Cola was founded by a Confederate soldier who was addicted to heroin. That was before they hired a rapist to do their commercials.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2021 1:25 PM

What’s wrong with ID requirement ?

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2021 1:26 PM

Marvel prominently advertises for Georgia in their film credits because they film there.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2021 1:30 PM

Of course, Disney owns Marvel.

If Disney had any fear of money loss or any moral considerations they'd have left Florida decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2021 1:32 PM

Boston Globe: The 91st MLB All-Star Game is scheduled to be played in Atlanta this July. But on Thursday, in the wake of voting-restriction legislation signed into law by the Georgia governor, the executive director of the MLB Players Association said the players are ready to discuss moving their annual midsummer exhibition out of Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2021 1:32 PM

[quote]What’s wrong with ID requirement ?

The GOP is on record saying there's no need for an ID for absentee voting. Then young people and people of color started voting by mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2021 1:35 PM

[quote] good, but I haven't drunk the stuff since I was a kid forty years ago . . .

It's not like it used to be. Back in the day you would take that first sip and hold it in your mouth enjoying the brief burn it produced. You didn't get that from Pepsi or RC. That sensation disappeared at least a generation ago. I don't know why or how they changed it..

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2021 1:40 PM

Does anyone put some salt in their coke ?

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2021 1:43 PM

Disney thanked a fucking concentration camp in the credits of the remake of [italic]Mulan[/italic]. They have reached the point where they would shit on Walt’s grave for a book.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2021 1:45 PM

A buck

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2021 1:45 PM

Uh Joan sweetie, your weren’t ALWAYS a Pepsi fan.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]I was always a Pepsi gal anyway.

Always, R8?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2021 1:55 PM

You got the wrong one, baby!

Uh-uh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2021 1:59 PM

Judd Legum = peanut farmer in GA

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2021 2:04 PM

To vote you need an ID. If not there will be mass rigging of the election. Democrats don't want ID because they know that it will stop them from rigging elections in their favor and winning. They are desperate and are cloaking their desire to rig elections as civil rights. Total BS. People can get IDs. It is not that difficult. And democratic party propaganda platforms are messaging the same.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2021 2:40 PM

I agree without ID, it opens the way for fraud.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2021 2:45 PM

You can't drive without ID, you can't get a library card without ID, you can't open a checking account without ID, you can't board an airline without ID, you can't pick up prescription medicine without ID, and you can't enter a federal building without ID. I'm not terribly impressed with arguments they are too difficult for citizens to obtain.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2021 3:19 PM

“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini

Wanna try again, you woketivist totalitarian trash? Or are you now openly embracing Mussolini as a role model?

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2021 4:02 PM

The new Georgia law allows the state legislature to nullify votes in individual counties and voting precincts. This takes control away from the Secretary of State. The Georgia legislature is controlled by Republicans. This is a bad move which allows overturning a vote much easier based on political preferences by a party.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2021 4:14 PM

It is what Trump wanted. It now will act on a lie.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2021 4:16 PM

It is plain wrong to make it illegal to give someone in line a drink of water (or a Coke). God is not mocked.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote]To vote you need an ID. If not there will be mass rigging of the election.

Odd, there's never been mass rigging of an election in states that don't require an ID.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2021 5:58 PM

This country is so over.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2021 6:03 PM

ID requirement is useful in my country. I was on the polling booth and one intending voter providing 3 IDs.

Their name was variously spelled as Hsu Su Le, Pseu Su Li and Seu Se Liu.

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2021 5:22 AM

France requires a voter ID.

Israel requires a voter ID.

Mexico requires a voter ID.

Iceland requires a voter ID.

Canada requires a voter ID.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2021 5:31 AM

Do the assholes on this thread touting the benefits of ID for voting realize that they're making no contribution to the discussion? The criticism of these Republican laws is that they make it hard just to get the ID, by ruling out some kinds of ID and allowing others, then closing down most of the places you can get the latter. And of course their inane "argument" has nothing to do with restricting or abolishing early voting, closing down voting places in majority black areas, or making it illegal to give water to someone waiting to vote.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2021 12:03 PM

I doubt I can quit Coke, but I have been enjoying calling Delta Airlines and asking them to help book me in the “Whites Only” section of the plane.

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2021 12:34 PM

Most normal folks have an ID, at least a driving lic.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2021 8:23 PM

Yeah, R45, and what if you need a driver's (American usage) license plus some other kind from a narrow list, like a gun license? And the DMVs in your county have been closed down "for budgetary reasons" and it's a two-hour trip to the nearest one? And so on and so forth. Don't pretend these laws are reasonable, or anything but Jim Crow racism.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote]Most normal folks have an ID, at least a driving lic.

• Millions of Americans Lack ID. 11% of U.S. citizens – or more than 21 million Americans – do not have government-issued photo identification.1

• Minority voters disproportionately lack ID. Nationally, up to 25% of African-American citizens of voting age lack government-issued photo ID, compared to only 8% of whites.6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2021 9:48 PM

I was in Home Depot today and could not get myself to buy anything.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2021 9:59 PM

I don’t buy from any of those companies anyway.

I sure as hell don’t drink coke or go to Home Depot.

The director of the new Indiana Jones movie has already said he won’t set foot in GA to film the new film.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] Minority voters disproportionately lack ID

Some of you talk as though these people don't want an ID.

I didn't want one when I was a young anarchist millennial but I'm now a member of society and I have nothing to fear.

I am not an illegal person and I don't commit illegal acts

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2021 12:07 AM

Without ID, how do you know the real identity of the voter ?

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote]Without ID, how do you know the real identity of the voter ?

You check their signature against the one on record. If it doesn't match, they don't vote.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2021 1:52 AM

"No Coke, only Pepsi."

And shove a peach pit up your left nostril while you're at it, Georgia

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2021 2:01 AM

I too don't get what's the big deal with requiring a picture ID to vote. If you really wanted to vote, you would get an ID. It's not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2021 2:15 AM

Everyone saying "I too don't get what's the big deal with requiring a picture ID" is a disingenuous troll. We've already answered this strawman.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2021 2:17 AM

[quote] "I too don't get what's the big deal with requiring a picture ID"

Brazil is switching to fingerprints for secure elections.

The Superior Electoral Tribunal (TSE) launched the consultation, having collected biometric records from 119 million people in Brazil since it began capturing biometrics into a single database in 2008. The agency plans to enroll the fingerprints of 150 million by 2022.

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2021 2:25 AM

I think Georgia should make a law that you can't vote unless you are married to a person of the opposite sex.

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2021 2:30 AM

Good. I already don't use almost any of the products in R15's post. Thank you for the list R15 and I already decided to switch to Diet Pepsi and boycott Coke. I didn't know they had their racist hands in so many other products. Boycott is the only way to go. If not for boycotting buses in the south at great suffering to black people, mostly women who had to walk miles to work and back home in some cases, black people would still be riding in the back of the bus.

#Boycott

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2021 2:36 AM

Just a bunch of white SJWs being outraged in this thread. I'm Latino and I agree with photo ID.

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2021 2:56 AM

R52 Signatures can be forged

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2021 3:05 AM

I just did my part, I poured a half drank can of Diet Coke down the sink.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2021 3:15 AM

My to do list this week: Buy some Coke.

God, these left-wing nuts are idiots. They are calling on Rafael Warnock to lead the boycott of the state he represents.

by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2021 3:32 AM

Eres un pendejo, entonces, R59.

Not everybody has the money to spend on an ID card.

Or the time to take off work to get a fucking ID card.

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote][R52] Signatures can be forged

What an excellent plan for stealing an election. First identify people in your area who are registered to vote but definitely don't plan to do so and won't realize it/pursue the issue if somebody steals their mail-in ballots or votes in person in their places. (How will you identify such people? Who knows?) Find out what these people's signatures look like (again, who knows how you'll do this) and practice copying them until you get them right. Swipe their ballots/show up at their polling places and vote fraudulently as them. Through these efforts, you might be able to cast two, three, or even tens of fraudulent votes. Woo hoo.

Seriously, does no one recognize the sheer impracticality of trying to affect the outcome of an election by casting fraudulent votes in the names of real voters?

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2021 6:03 AM

Those who can’t be bothered to even obtain an ID to vote most probably are lacking the political conviction anyway. Their votes shouldn’t count then.

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2021 6:14 AM

Jamie Dimon this morning & Delta yesterday...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2021 6:58 PM

R55 applies proleptically to R59 and R65.

by Anonymousreply 67March 31, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] “There is no middle ground here,” Mr. Chenault said. “You either are for more people voting, or you want to suppress the vote.”

[quote] “This impacts all Americans, but we also need to acknowledge the history of voting rights for African-Americans,” Mr. Chenault said. “And as African-American executives in corporate America, what we were saying is we want corporate America to understand that, and we want them to work with us.”

[quote] The letter was signed by 72 Black executives. They included Roger Ferguson Jr., the chief executive of TIAA; Mellody Hobson and John Rogers Jr., the co-chief executives of Ariel Investments; Robert F. Smith, the chief executive of Vista Equity Partners; and Raymond McGuire, a former Citigroup executive who is running for mayor of New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2021 9:06 PM

R14 But Pepsi tastes terrible.

by Anonymousreply 69March 31, 2021 9:34 PM

Regarding the photo ID argument, it isn’t just the requirement of an ID, it is the requirement of certain types of Government issued IDs that can be cost and distance prohibitive to poor voters, older voters, and young voters. Whereas a library card, social security card, student ID or employee ID could be valid, now they are not. This is an access issue and the GOP wants to ensure access is limited enough so that they can win.

by Anonymousreply 70March 31, 2021 9:52 PM

Thank you, R70, for the accurate and cogent summary, but you don't seem to realize this is a thread about covertly bashing poc. Take your decency and common sense elsewhere!

by Anonymousreply 71March 31, 2021 11:26 PM

All of this stuff is basically sweetened roofing tar with carbonated water in it.

by Anonymousreply 72April 1, 2021 6:33 AM

Kemp & Georgia GQP say "no water".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 1, 2021 7:13 PM

Every fucking moron commenting how easy it is to get an ID need to have their face set in fire. If you're that unbelievably stupid you really should just die.

by Anonymousreply 74April 1, 2021 7:28 PM

R71 I come for pointless bitchery, but sometimes decency and common sense win out.

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2021 8:37 PM

Bye, bye Baseball!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 2, 2021 7:04 PM

story on All-Star Game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 2, 2021 9:48 PM

With the GA Legislature voting to punish Delta and now things like this move from Duncan and Roy, the GQP might accidentally expose themselves to those in the middle who are trying to stay neutral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 2, 2021 10:12 PM

And then there's this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 2, 2021 10:27 PM

Dominos falling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 3, 2021 1:41 AM

The worst issue is taking away certification from counties and only letting the state control it. The IDs and drinks and ballot boxes are overblown as concerns. There are much more insidious elements to the legislation. Georgia never had drop boxes until this year. You can have tables with drinks. The IDs... well, I'm not going to fight with people about that.

by Anonymousreply 81April 3, 2021 2:16 AM

my only thing on ID's. I just went thru hoops here in Missouri trying to get my and my mothers REAL ID's which included two trips. And this from a stable 95 yr old living in same house of 50 years and files every legal document away. i could see someone who moved around a bit or didn't have all their documents readily available to have considerable trouble getting this level of ID. God forbid voting becomes that difficult

by Anonymousreply 82April 3, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] I can't forget facts I've never known. Thanks for the history lesson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 3, 2021 3:02 AM

The Georgia GOP is willing to risk the relationship with the state's largest private employer.

Delta employs 33,000 people and they pay a good wage. That's rare in Georgia

99% of the GOP have absolutely NO regrets about the Jan 6th Insurrection. That was just the beginning

The GOP wants to burn the country down and start all over to a time when slavery was legal. They want blacks and poor white people to be slaves and to have the corporations & the 1%, do whatever they want

by Anonymousreply 84April 3, 2021 3:12 AM

I have a big problem with the IDs. I honestly don't know how anyone can function without an ID

My license was expired and when I went to my bank because there were false charges on my debit card, they wouldn't even talk to me because my license was expired.

They said it had to be current ID. Which is bullshit. I didn't stop being Miss Patsy Stone just because my license expired. I'm still me

I wasn't asking them to tell me anything about the account. I just wanted to tell them, there were false charges. I asked them to call the phone number on the account and they refused

That happened at a lot of places, they would not accept expired ID. But ID is ID

by Anonymousreply 85April 3, 2021 3:22 AM

And the pharmacy did the same thing. They wouldn't accept expired ID

The dr's office asks for ID too

by Anonymousreply 86April 3, 2021 3:24 AM

Curious thing about MLB and Delta.

Delta and China Eastern Airlines have signed an agreement to expand their partnership and better connect Delta's global network with China Eastern, one of the leading airlines in China. The agreement will include a $450 million investment by Delta to acquire a 3.55 percent stake in China Eastern.

Over the last decade, MLB’s Development Center in China has been focused on academics, baseball, and the social and cultural development of each of the participants to come through the doors. The aims of the Development Center in China is to be recognized as a baseball program with an academic component of the highest caliber at each of the local, provincial, national and international levels, producing student-athletes who aspire to careers in the game.

MLB China’s focus is to nurture the needs of those student-athletes, and produce well-rounded and well-prepared individuals for opportunities that might include the continuance of their academic pursuits or a playing career upon the graduation of high school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 3, 2021 7:14 AM

R43 You do know that Georgia has a free state provided ID? You need an ID to get a vaccine. Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 88April 3, 2021 7:37 AM

I went through the same shit with my dad. His drivers license expired and he stopped existing. It was one of the lies I gave him for why he couldn’t drive after the age of 80.

It turns out that we had to re-certify his identity with Social Security (He was born in 1925) with an original birth certificate (thank god I found that) and go through three visits to obtain an ID card JUST so he could sign documents at the county clerk’s office.

Anyway, Boycotting Coke is convenient. They’re the biggest polluter, their Diet Coke no longer mixes with weed or scotch, and they’re rich and powerful in a bigot state. Let Oscar fuck Coke up the ass for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 89April 3, 2021 7:39 AM

R84 Do Georgian's need an ID to get a vaccine like they do in my state?

by Anonymousreply 90April 3, 2021 7:42 AM

R81 Don't most states require you to show and ID in order to get vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 91April 3, 2021 7:44 AM

R70 What kind of ID do Georgian's need to get a vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 92April 3, 2021 7:45 AM

R47 So how will they get vaccinated without an ID?

by Anonymousreply 93April 3, 2021 7:51 AM

[quote] You do know that Georgia has a free state provided ID? You need an ID to get a vaccine. Any thoughts?

I'm not R43, but I wonder what you need to get that free ID? Knowing the republicans, they'll make it harder to acquire. It will be something the governor can just silently implement to make it harder to get that ID

by Anonymousreply 94April 3, 2021 8:03 AM

R94 Do you always sound this paranoid? How do people get vaccinated without IDs? How do people live without some form of ID?

by Anonymousreply 95April 3, 2021 8:08 AM

R81 People are allowed to bring their own water and receive food or water as long as it's not a 'gift' from a political organization because that's considered electioneering.

by Anonymousreply 96April 3, 2021 8:20 AM

R34 and you can't get vaccinated without an ID!

by Anonymousreply 97April 3, 2021 8:30 AM

R39 What states are those that don't require an ID?

by Anonymousreply 98April 3, 2021 8:33 AM

R43 you know it's not illegal to give someone standing on line to vote water or food as long as it doesn't come from a political organization as a "gift'. that would be considered electioneering. And black people don't have jobs, drive cars, fly on airplanes, have SS numbers, bank accounts . . .? It would seem odd to me that someone of voting age didn't have some form of ID. When I was younger I was sometimes asked for proof of age in order to purchase liquor at a store, bar or club.

by Anonymousreply 99April 3, 2021 8:42 AM

R95 , are you high. I think you are. You think it's paranoia to think the republicans would make it harder to get ID? That's hilarious

Where have you been? the repugs are the ones who ACTUALLY MADE IT HARDER FOR EVERYONE TO GET ID. It was part of the Patriot Act and it's called The Real ID Act of 2005, and became effective in 2008. They've been working tirelessly for the past 6 decades to suppress democratic votes. Don't you know that

And I've NEVER shown ID for vaccines. I got 2 shingles vaccines at Walmart (this year). A measles and hepatitis vaccineS at the NYC Dept of Health - all without showing ID

by Anonymousreply 100April 3, 2021 8:53 AM

From 538

Americans Oppose Many Voting Restrictions — But Not Voter ID Laws

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 3, 2021 8:54 AM

I noted my thoughts on voter ID in R70, but I want to echo what R81 stated:

[quote] The worst issue is taking away certification from counties and only letting the state control it.

While voter ID targets access and preventing people from handing out water encourages discomfort, the above is straight up voter disenfranchisement, authoritarian and a violation of our rights under the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately due to the court packing of the previous administration, there is a strong possibility these types of laws will be upheld.

If you want to focus on voter ID, fine. However, if you think these laws are trivial because you have your ID and “what is the big deal?”; the big deal is you can do everything “right” and still not have your vote count because the state doesn’t agree with the outcome of an election. Democracy shemocracy.

by Anonymousreply 102April 3, 2021 9:23 AM

[quote] While voter ID targets access and preventing people from handing out water encourages discomfort, the above is straight up voter disenfranchisement, authoritarian and a violation of our rights under the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately due to the court packing of the previous administration, there is a strong possibility these types of laws will be upheld.

this is a great example of the republican's multipronged strategy to suppress democratic votes. Unfortunately the democrats have not had any strategy in place to fight this. Every election, we have this problem. And the repugs make a little more headway, each election

by Anonymousreply 103April 3, 2021 9:40 AM

Yep R103. What Republicans have done over the last 40 - 50 years is akin to a very slow moving tsunami. There has finally been pushback and they decide to go fully autocratic. I hope the “across the aisle” Dem senators now realize there is no such thing - the John Lewis Voting Rights Act must pass and the Dems cannot capitulate.

by Anonymousreply 104April 3, 2021 10:18 AM

I stopped buying Coca Cola products after they started requiring their employees to take critical race theory training courses.

by Anonymousreply 105April 3, 2021 10:30 AM

R100 I do think someone is trying to make it easier for mail in voters to have no proof of citizenship in order to vote in our elections. Who's being turned down when trying to get an ID? Seems to me that someone who has lived to be an adult without getting some form of ID could care less about voting.

by Anonymousreply 106April 3, 2021 3:17 PM

Are the people who feel mail in voters don't need to show proof of citizenship the same people who were so concerned about Russian interference in our elections?

by Anonymousreply 107April 3, 2021 3:23 PM

[quote] Who's being turned down when trying to get an ID? Seems to me that someone who has lived to be an adult without getting some form of ID could care less about voting.

Ok. I'll bite:

What about college students (who overwhelming vote liberal) who live most of the year in one state and part of the year in another state(s) but, as minors and transients, don't really have the credentials to establish residency in either?

But they do have a student id (which is legal for voting in my state).

by Anonymousreply 108April 3, 2021 3:40 PM

Just wait.

They’re coming for something you care about.

by Anonymousreply 109April 3, 2021 4:06 PM

R108 How do they party at bars or clubs without an ID? Doesn't sound reasonable that they wouldn't have ID does it? And when you move to another state and want to vote you need ID from that state. I've gone through that process 3 times People in the earliest days of the pandemic were arriving at motor vehicle at 4am to secure a place in line to renew their drivers' license!

by Anonymousreply 110April 3, 2021 4:34 PM

R102 Can't adults bring their own water? Sounds like you are talking about pre school children. Grow up! Ever hear of electioneering? Look at R99 and get sound, educated talking points.

by Anonymousreply 111April 3, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] Relocate our Columbian death squads to Atlanta.

Why would an Ivy League university need a death squad?

by Anonymousreply 112April 3, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] —Has a libray card

Yet you obviously don’t use it.

by Anonymousreply 113April 3, 2021 5:16 PM

Odd that the the White House wants sports to boycott Georgia for being undemocratic but still supports the US participating in the Bejjing Olympics considering that Biden stated that the 'Chinese President doesn't have a democratic bone in his body'

by Anonymousreply 114April 3, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote](He was born in 1925) with an original birth certificate (thank god I found that)

Wow!

I can’t even imagine what that would look like after almost 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 115April 3, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] How do they party at bars or clubs without an ID?

They don’t. Where in the constitution does it say they have a right to party?

This is what I’m finding so infuriating about this discussion. Most people seem to be unwilling or unable to look at issues outside of their framework. The right to vote is fundamental to democracy and we should make every effort to make it as easy as possible for everyone to participate. Instituting laws based on options some exercise (partying, flying, taking out a mortgage) rather than promoting the general welfare of the most vulnerable is indicative of a failing democracy.

by Anonymousreply 116April 3, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote] Every fucking moron commenting how easy it is to get an ID need to have their face set in fire. If you're that unbelievably stupid you really should just die.

Then make it easier for people who are homeless to get IDs. All in person voting already requires ID.

by Anonymousreply 117April 3, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] All in person voting already requires ID.

Where?

by Anonymousreply 118April 3, 2021 5:48 PM

R116 Have you ever had any difficulty voting or getting an ID or seen anyone pass out from dehydration while waiting to vote?

by Anonymousreply 119April 3, 2021 5:51 PM

I will never purchase another Coca Cola product again.

by Anonymousreply 120April 3, 2021 5:55 PM

I grew up eating Goya products, my mom used the products all the time. I will be boycotting Goya's product indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 121April 3, 2021 5:58 PM

R116 My point is that they do party and you need ID with proof of age to do so or to purchase liquor or get served at a bar or club? Who are these people without any ID?

by Anonymousreply 122April 3, 2021 5:58 PM

R116 You need proof of residency in order to enroll a child at a public school. CPE is a right and many rights need some form of ID in order to exercise them. How are people getting vaccinated who don't have ID?

by Anonymousreply 123April 3, 2021 6:02 PM

R122 The only ones I can think of are homeless people who have had their documents lost or stolen. Even then, there are ways for them to get sponsored by an organization. Even homeless people need an ID to buy cigarettes and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 124April 3, 2021 6:03 PM

Coke PAC political spending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 3, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] Even homeless people need an ID to buy cigarettes and alcohol.

Where do you people live where an ID is required for each of these transactions?

If you look over 25 you’re not “carded.”

by Anonymousreply 126April 3, 2021 6:07 PM

Missing the point. Anti democratic measures have closed polling stations, making the wait to vote unreasonable. The USPS has been hamstrung making it harder to get your vote counted. These measures make offering water to citizens waiting on line to vote a crime.

They really hate Americans and hate the democratic process.

by Anonymousreply 127April 3, 2021 6:10 PM

R126 and what did they do until they looked over 25? Some places routinely ask for ID to stay out of trouble from the ABC commission.

by Anonymousreply 128April 3, 2021 6:13 PM

Coca-Cola, Google, and various other companies all do business with and in China, where the government is cracking down on civil rights and liberties everywhere, but particularly in Hong Kong, and is committing genocide, so I'm a tad cynical about companies showing outrage over this.

It's far better for people to use the ballot box to vote those who enacted these new laws out of office.

by Anonymousreply 129April 3, 2021 6:20 PM

R127 Ever hear of electioneering? Georgia and other states laws ban political organizations from bringing gifts to people who are standing in line to vote but there is no prohibition preventing people from getting food or water from anyone other than a political operative and they can bring their own water. Your talking points are wrong and misinformed.

by Anonymousreply 130April 3, 2021 7:14 PM

This was posted in another thread but I figured it's more suited here. These kindhearted liberals sound downright racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 3, 2021 7:22 PM

R131 Joe Biden has also said that black people don't know how to use the internet.

by Anonymousreply 132April 3, 2021 7:28 PM

R132 I doubt Joe Biden knows how to use the internet!

by Anonymousreply 133April 3, 2021 8:06 PM

So you would vote for someone just because he gave you some water ? How stupid ?

by Anonymousreply 134April 3, 2021 8:36 PM

Russia speaking at r134

by Anonymousreply 135April 3, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] Then make it easier for people who are homeless to get IDs. All in person voting already requires ID.

Tell that to the democrats. But they'd rather focus on the handing out water to voters bullshit

the dems are world class champions at failed messaging. That's why 40% of the country is poor and votes against their own interests, every election

That's why we have ID problem, every single presidential election, for at least 50 years

by Anonymousreply 136April 3, 2021 9:37 PM

R136, Dems keep winning elections and there are more registered Democrats than Republicans. Come up with another one.

by Anonymousreply 137April 3, 2021 9:52 PM

R130, you really think someone is going to check the credentials of someone handing out shit? It opens up the door to buying votes. Democrats are completely clueless on this issue and would go aprshit if a Republican did this.

by Anonymousreply 138April 3, 2021 9:54 PM

Trolling, trolling, trolling, keep that paypal rolling. Yeah, liberals are the problem. Sure, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 139April 3, 2021 9:57 PM

And now Ted Cruz and Mike Lee are calling to end the antitrust exemption for Major League Baseball. All the news stories I found were on conservative sites, so no link.

by Anonymousreply 140April 3, 2021 9:58 PM

Good luck with that, Cancun, er, I mean Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 141April 3, 2021 10:00 PM

Louisiana has had voter ID laws since the 90s and minorities never complained about it before

by Anonymousreply 142April 3, 2021 10:28 PM

R134 It goes back to a time when gifts sometimes in the form of money were given to voters to influence them. In most states political operatives must keep a certain distance from polling sites as well as those taking exit polls.

The idea of water as a talking point was brought up when Biden erroneously said that you can't bring water to people standing in line waiting to vote which is the point I was clarifying.

Also Biden was wrong when he talked about voting ending at 5 o'clock 'when working people are getting off work'. Georgia polls close at 7pm and if you are in line by 7pm you are allowed to cast your ballot. And yes people can bring their own water or have it brought to them by a family member or friend. And no a bottle of water from a political operative would not sway my vote. The law is not specifically about water but Biden brought that up.

by Anonymousreply 143April 3, 2021 11:19 PM

R142 Georgia is a swing state so Dems want to make it easier for all those people crossing the southern border to vote without an ID. I don't live in Georgia like most of the people commenting here so I don't know how concerned Georgian's are but, Dems are and seem to be using something akin to cancel culture to force the issue.

by Anonymousreply 144April 4, 2021 12:27 AM

R127 Who said handing out water to people waiting on line to vote was a crime? Political operatives and those who do exit polls must in most states keep a certain distance from polling places but as long as political operatives are not bring food or water or anything considered a 'gift' to those standing on line. And people can bring their own bottled water just like they do everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 145April 4, 2021 4:46 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 4, 2021 5:06 AM

R146 When voter suppression focuses on whether people are allowed to have water while waiting, something's wrong!

by Anonymousreply 147April 4, 2021 5:52 AM

Good Morning, R146:

[quote] Thanks for noticing that NY’s voting laws are bad! Like GA, many of NY’s restrictions on the right to vote are rooted in racism and xenophobia and need to change. “So, why aren’t you suing NY over early voting and no-excuse absentee balloting right now?” Glad you asked.

[quote] Unlike GA, the NYS legislature has been removing longstanding racist, xenophobic barriers to the ballot since 2019. Why so recently? Before 2019, a gerrymander and a deal made by Gov. Cuomo gave the NYS Senate to the GOP, which blocked all efforts to fix voting in NY.

[quote] Since 2019, among other important reforms, NY has enacted early voting and automatic voter reg, and is in the process of amending its constitution to enable no-excuse absentee ballots and election-day registration. Those amendments will be ratified by the voters this year.

[quote] When Black and Brown voter turnout increased in 2020, NY didn’t roll back those reforms. In fact, the state continued to expand opportunities to vote. Is NY law perfect yet? No, but it takes time to undo retrograde laws and practices and NY’s going in the right direction.

[quote] GA ran screaming in the opposite direction. After making some strides to expand voting opportunities, GA saw record Black turnout in November and January immediately responded with a bunch of unjustifiable restrictions aimed at reducing opportunities for Black voters.

[quote] So why not sue NY over early voting and no-excuse absentee ballots? We don’t have to. The NY Legislature is working with civil rights groups to continue reforms. If the GA legislature fixed its unjustifiable new restrictions, Black voters wouldn’t have to go to the courts.

[quote] In a functioning democracy, the government’s elected branches should enable voting rather than suppressing votes because greater participation builds public confidence in democracy, which increases participation. A virtuous cycle with which NY is finally engaging.

[quote] The groups and businesses putting pressure on the GA and TX legislatures to repeal their voter suppression laws are strengthening the foundation of democracy and encouraging racial justice. We’ll keep working to hold NYS account for doing the same here.

[quote] Oh, and anyone saying NY law prohibits folks from giving water to voters on line at the polls hasn't read NY Election Law s.17-140, which expressly allows anonymous give-aways of food or water with a value of less $1 (e.g., bottles of water or snacks bought in bulk)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 4, 2021 1:47 PM

R148 And the Dems aren't concerned with NY or any state that votes democratic. What about Biden's home state Delaware?

by Anonymousreply 149April 4, 2021 2:48 PM

HYPERCRIMINALIZATION: Georgia's new law codifies mass disenfranchisement and further expands criminalization policy in the voting process.

POWER GRAB: Georgia's new law removes significant power from the Secretary of State and gives the GOP-led, gerrymandered state legislature majority control of the State Election Board

COUNTY ELECTION TAKEOVERS: GA's new law removes judicial oversight from the county intervention process & grants a GOP-controlled body the power to replace county BOEs & local elections officials w/ significant voter access & election certification responsibilities.

SANCTION POWER: Georgia's new voting law allows the State Election Board to sanction counties that don't accept unlimited challenges or fail to hold mass challenge hearings within 10/days.

PROVISIONAL BALLOTS: Georgia's new voting law bans most out-of-precinct provisional ballots. Over 20k provisional ballots were counted in the general & runoff elections and these were nearly 70% dem voters

DROP BOXES: Georgia's new law completely eliminates over 300 hours of drop box availability relative to 2020. The law also significantly reduces the total number of drop boxes, using "uniformity" as an excuse to race to the bottom in voter access.

VOTE-BY-MAIL: Georgia's new law adds several new VBM burdens including: restrictions to absentee ballot applications that would have impacted 75K voters in 2020/2021 elections and new ID requirements that could impact over 200K Georgians.

RUNOFFS: Georgia's new law cuts runoff elections by 5 weeks, reduces minimum early vote required for federal runoffs, & likely eliminates vbm options. [Note: Reducing participation in already racist Jim Crow relic runoff elections is next level. See vox.com/21551855/georg…]

MORE BAD: GA's new voting law also bans counties from accepting grant $$ to fund elections, limits voting resources, & more. While I'm sure there are provisions I missed, these 50 clearly show that SB202, at its core, is a bill meant to restrict access & criminalize voting.

why do some claim it’s not all bad? it allows early tabulation, ends signature match, +1 Sat early vote day (no diff 4 larger counties) & lets more ppl be poll workers (precinct splitting is complicated tf w/holding here).

So while the full text shows SB202s true IMPACT... 11/13 The actual INTENT of this bill is clear from its origins. The same lies that fueled an insurrection. The same policies first introduced at disinfo filled hearings held by the GA senate (12/3) & GA house (12/23) that led to death threats & doxxing of black election workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 4, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] how concerned Georgian's are

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 151April 4, 2021 3:50 PM

R151 Not as concerned as you.

by Anonymousreply 152April 4, 2021 8:57 PM

Besides China, Major League Ball is also friendly and supportive with Cuba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 4, 2021 9:01 PM

R131 that was GREAT!

by Anonymousreply 154April 4, 2021 9:11 PM

I live in a state that has required an ID since I voted for the first time in the early 2000s. Seems reasonable to me.

Now - If I couldn’t vote unless my signature matched?! I’d be FUCKED. I write like a serial killer and my signature NEVER looks the same - especially on the digital pad that you have to use to vote here...

by Anonymousreply 155April 4, 2021 9:53 PM

^^Madison, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 156April 4, 2021 10:25 PM

So, the Democratic Party line now is that no one should need ID to vote but everyone should need vaccine passports to participate in civic life? Does that make sense?

Do any other classic liberals, remember when the Democratic Party was actually liberal? And stood against Big Business, Big Pharma and for Free Speech?

by Anonymousreply 157April 4, 2021 10:47 PM

R132 I wonder if Biden realizes that Atlanta, Georgia is known as 'a modern-day black Wall Street'! And boycotts would take jobs and money away from citizens many of whom are black.

by Anonymousreply 158April 5, 2021 2:48 AM

Fuck off with your ignorant bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 159April 5, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote] And boycotts would take jobs and money away from citizens many of whom are black.

It's all right. Think how good those people will feel knowing their sacrifice made us look noble.

by Anonymousreply 160April 5, 2021 3:34 AM

Tell Coca Cola to put cocaine back in and all will be forgiven - and maybe even forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 161April 5, 2021 5:53 AM

Lindsey Graham continues to try to mess in Georgia's business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 5, 2021 10:04 AM

Biden supporting county most heavily punished.

2020 Trump 164,436 ... Biden 221,847.

The Georgia county that was set to host the 2020 Major League Baseball All Star Game said over the weekend that it will lose more than $100 million after the league pulled the game and draft out of the state.

“This event would have directly impacted our county and the state, as visitors spend their dollars on local accommodations, transportation, entertainment and recreation, food and retail throughout the county,” Cobb County Travel and Tourism said. “This would have been a big boost to Cobb businesses and help with recovery after the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The Atlanta Braves released a statement following the league’s announcement, saying that they did not support the decision and that they were “saddened that fans will not be able to see this event in our city.”

“Unfortunately, businesses, employees, and fans in Georgia are the victims of this decision,” the team added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 5, 2021 10:55 AM

[quote] —The most dangerous part of the Georgia voting law is that it removes from the State Election Board the vote of the Secretary of State—even though under Georgia Constitution, the Scty of State oversees elections. It also puts the board under the control of the legislature. 2/17 And the election board can suspend and replace any local election official basically anytime they want, for just about any reason—like having an honest election.

[quote] If that had been the law in November, a state board controlled by the Republican legislature would have been able to do exactly what President Trump illegally wanted—firing election officials in counties, like Clayton, Dekalb and Fulton, that voted big for Biden...

[quote] ...And then sending in carpetbaggers to declare fraud where there was none, and fraudulently throw out thousands of African-American votes.

[quote] And yes there are even more ways that the new voter suppression law is designed to make voting harder in Georgia: You can still vote absentee for any reason, but now it’s illegal for officials to send absentee applications to every voter.

[quote] The law also reduces how much time a voter has to request a ballot, and blocks any organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires every absentee voter to jump through extra hoops that a voter at the polls does NOT have to.

[quote] The new law sets up requirements for early voting—like not allowing it after 5 pm—that make it harder for working people to vote. It also eliminates mobile voting stations, except in an emergency—like hurricanes or alien invasion—and only if the governor says to do it.

[quote] Also puts huge limits on local officials allowing extra “drop boxes” for absentee ballots, another way of increasing the odds of long long lines at the regular polls.

[quote] Altogether, the law’s discourage absentee voting and make early voting less effective. The intent seems to be causing much much longer & slower lines at the polls, which, again, will mean large numbers of working class, elderly, and sick voters who just give up and go home. 10/17 And if anybody who comes along to offer a battle of water or a Ritz cracker to a voter getting thirsty or tired? Well, as everyone has heard, now that simple, kind gesture will be a crime, thanks to our state elected officials.

[quote] Bottom line: Georgia had an incredibly close & fair election, in which officials—most of them Republicans—did a great job encouraging every legal voter to vote. Almost 5 million people voted—the most ever—and Joe Biden surprisingly won by a tiny <12,000 margin.

[quote] There was NO evidence of voting fraud, and barely even any apparent human error. The only thing that supposedly “went wrong,” was that the losing party was sore that it lost the presidential election and two US Senate seats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 5, 2021 12:42 PM

btw: Let's not forget about Iowa

[quote] Lawsuit filed on behalf of the League of United Latin American Citizens of Iowa challenging provisions of an Iowa voter suppression bill. The case claims that the bill’s voting restrictions—including shortening the absentee voting period, reducing the number of days a voter can request and return an absentee ballot, shortening the time polls are open on Election Day and more—create an undue burden on the fundamental right to vote in violation of the Iowa Constitution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 5, 2021 1:06 PM

R148 Delaware Biden's home state didn't have early voting in 2020!

by Anonymousreply 166April 5, 2021 8:23 PM

I'm not sure why that is relevant, R166.

Delaware has fewer than a million residents and is 1/10 the population of Georgia and 1/20 the population of New York. It is also less than 1/25 the size by square miles. Arguably, it is not a problem if they don't need it (especially if they have provisions for mail in ballots). Equality is not the same as parity.

by Anonymousreply 167April 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Why are fucking cunt Republicans allowed to call for a boycott of the NFL over someone silently taking a knee along with the asshole orange "president" pile of shit calling for that someone to be fired (ie. violating his 1A rights), but these same cunt Republicans scream about "cancel culture" when people are trying to fight for their right to vote without barriers being put up? And that includes literally trying to take the final choice away from every county if a few GOP Klansmen disapprove of that choice,

White Southerners are trash. They just are.

by Anonymousreply 168April 5, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote] 39% of U.S. adults, 48% of MLB fans and 62% of self-described “avid” MLB fans said they supported the league moving the All-Star Game and draft out of Atlanta.

[quote] 65% of Democrats supported MLB’s decision, compared to just 14% of Republicans.

[quote] Yet Americans were slightly more likely to support than oppose Georgia’s new voting law, 42% to 36%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 5, 2021 9:24 PM

R167 Ironic not irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 170April 5, 2021 9:40 PM

Citizens for Ethics

[quote] Today Mitch McConnell told CEOs to "stay out of politics" now that they are coming out against voter suppression.

[quote] Mitch McConnell doesn't want to talk about how he got more donations in 2020 from Fortune 500 CEOs than any other member of Congress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 5, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote]White Southerners are trash. They just are.

Good post until you reached the end. There is "trash" all over the U.S, r168. Your travel experiences must be limited, and you have your own bigotry to address.

I am am white Georgia Democrat btw, and also have lived in NY, PA (the longest), MS, SC, and Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 172April 5, 2021 10:03 PM

R172-- Thank you. I am a white southerner as well as a lifelong democrat. We worked our asses off in the last election, but then we have worked most of our lives to vote these reptiles out of office. News flash-THEY FUCKING CHEAT IN EVERY ELECTION! I am so sick of people saying we are trash and vote against our best interest. That is just no longer true. The majority of people here want them out.

by Anonymousreply 173April 5, 2021 10:14 PM

I apologize. I should've been more specific because I know there are good, white, liberal southerners fighting the good fight.

White CONSERVATIVE southerners.

And yes, there is trash everywhere, but the entire south still has a long way to go.

by Anonymousreply 174April 5, 2021 11:24 PM

R174-- Yes, now that is true. I still have no idea why they are allowed in politics at all after what they have done. But yes, we do have a long way to go. My fear is that I am seeing it now in so many other states. It should be going away but it is spreading.

by Anonymousreply 175April 6, 2021 1:06 AM

R169 and what of Georgians who will lose 100 million dollars in revenue over the move? And a Gallup pole showed that 80% of all Americans favor some form of voter ID! And how do Americans feel the US participating in the Bejiing Olympics when a coalition of 180 human rights groups is urging governments to not send delegations over human rights abuses in China.. And is the MLB an instrument of the government any more than the Olympic committee?

by Anonymousreply 176April 6, 2021 2:48 AM

^ Gallup 'poll' Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 177April 6, 2021 2:56 AM

Pass me my Coke please. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 178April 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Part of what the GQP and, apparently, the agitators on this thread, don't understand is the difference between community and capitalism. Shrieking about $100million in the face of an assault on voting rights is one thing. But doing so as a justification for allowing a law that disrespects communities of color by mirroring the hateful Jim Crow past is even worse. The Right thinks of themselves as a coalition of independents united against the tyranny of the Left. Civilized human beings care about other human beings, $100 million be goddamned.

China has fuck all to do with this conversation.

by Anonymousreply 179April 6, 2021 2:58 AM

R179 m

'mirroring the Jim Crow laws'

Stop the nonsensical talking points. Give me what you see as comparable and how the Georgia voting laws are specifically racist.

by Anonymousreply 180April 6, 2021 3:04 AM

R180

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 6, 2021 3:22 AM

Bullshit like screaming CHINA is a talking point. There is not a single blessed thing "nonsensical" about comparing this bill to Jim Crow.

Creating obstacles for voter enfranchisement was the essence of Jim Crow. Including, but not limited to: poll taxes, literacy tests & id requirements.

Creating a loophole wherein partisan APPOINTED--not elected--officials determine election administration is a relic of Jim Crow

Creating special conditions to accommodate rural members of one party over city dwellers of the other reeks of Jim Crow.

Unnecessary stipulations which even Lindsey Graham admitted are foolish but are designed strictly to humiliate people are a demoralizing tactic of Jim Crow.

Signing the bill behind a locked door, in front of a portrait of a slave plantation while arresting officers drag a Black woman out and charge her with two felonies for knocking on the door might as well have been pulled directly from the time capsule of Jim Crow.

But nothing says more about the authoritarianism of Jim Crow than slamming it through on strictly party lines because the last vote went against the majority party.

The consequences of this bill are disgusting. The intent is even more damning.

by Anonymousreply 182April 6, 2021 3:28 AM

R182 How is it specifically racist? Are minorities unable to get or have IDs, more likely to become dehydrated or less likely to bring their own water or food? Your talking points are tired old rhetoric.

by Anonymousreply 183April 6, 2021 3:31 AM

Tired old rhetoric from Biden who in 2007 referred to Obama as "...the first sort of mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

by Anonymousreply 184April 6, 2021 3:39 AM

You ability to be obtuse is tired, R183.

In fact, yes, minorities are at greater disadvantage for obtaining the TYPE of id required by this bill as it does not accept student id or work id. Hospital records can be difficult to come by, for one thing, and relatively costly in a state where minimum wage is still only $7.25/hour ($15,080/year) for another. Do I think the number of people effected is overwhelming? No, I don't. But statistically we know for a fact that minorities are overwhelmingly the ones who will be impacted.

More importantly, something that is a fundamental basis of our democracy should not have ANY impediments.

The stupid bottled water issue isn't about water. It's about a disdainful majority flexing their hegemony over others. Anyone paying attention last year saw people waiting in line for upwards of five hours to vote. To make it literally illegal to provide comfort for another human being is a sin, if you believe in those, and just plain fucked up even if you don't.

I'll say this one more time: We live in the most prosperous country in the history of civilization and our system of governance is based on the notion that EVERY one of us is allowed to participate in selecting our representatives. As recently as two generations ago, groups of people have not honored that. We made the appropriate changes and were on the way to living up to our potential.

To pass legislation which imposes unnecessary, regressive restrictions on any one of us should be an insult to all of us.

by Anonymousreply 185April 6, 2021 3:59 AM

R185 And speaking of obtuse look at what Biden said @ R184! You seem to view minorities like tired old Joe. It's demeaning and condescending and so out of touch! A lot has changed since Jim Crow but, not Biden who thinks Comma-La Harris is President. Obama responded to Old Joe's comments as . . .' historically inaccurate . . . Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisolm, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton . . no one would call them inarticulate'

by Anonymousreply 186April 6, 2021 4:17 AM

NY Times

𝐂𝐨𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐅𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐬 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐀𝐥𝐥-𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞

The home of the Colorado Rockies replaces the Braves’ suburban Atlanta stadium after M.L.B. pulled the game out of Georgia in response to a voting law.

-----------

However not only does of Colorado require voter proof of identification, but it also has fewer early voting days than Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 6, 2021 5:19 AM

R187, but it's not as if Colorado suddenly decided to make changes when the state changed from one color to the other. GA's decision to do what they are doing is literally based on a lie. It's so transparent what they are doing and why. Their state election was completely valid and safe and the abrupt changes they are making show they didn't like the outcome. Even Kemp's own election is suspicious. He threw out thousands of valid votes. Abrabs should be the governor, not that dirtbag.

by Anonymousreply 188April 6, 2021 6:35 AM

R187 Colorado is a blue state not a swing state like Georgia so Joe has no beef with Colorado and since it's population is 84% White and 4,16% Black I guess their voting laws can be called racist.

by Anonymousreply 189April 6, 2021 6:35 AM

^ 4.16% Black r189

by Anonymousreply 190April 6, 2021 6:37 AM

R188 Nice try at diversion The hypocrisy is absurd and punitive to an entire state. And involving franchise and big corporations to sway political action is unacceptable especially when big corporations are invested in China and no one is boycotting the Bejiing Olympics despite their history of civil rights violations.

by Anonymousreply 191April 6, 2021 6:45 AM

R191, the fact that Raffensberger said there was NO fraud and part of the new law immediately takes power out of that position's hands all of sudden IS punitive. The fact that a county could have their votes voided if the outcome is not to the liking of the minority who have power in the legislature IS punitive. The water and food thing is idiotic. It doesn't look insane that all of the years they had no issue when the GOP and now all of a sudden, they're punishing people for actually voting?

And cut the bullshit with "China" as a defense for this. A corporation isn't supposed to suddenly become all pious all over the god damned world before they can do at least one GOOD thing here.

by Anonymousreply 192April 6, 2021 6:50 AM

when the GOP won*

by Anonymousreply 193April 6, 2021 6:51 AM

R192 'A corporation isn't suppose to suddenly become pious all over the god damned world before they can do at least one GOOD thing here'

So do nothing about years of human rights violations until you do something good at home first?

Sorry, but you sound like one dumb motherfucker! Do you even realize how ridiculous what your saying is? I suspect not.

by Anonymousreply 194April 6, 2021 7:46 AM

"Set intent aside?" It's "missing the forest for the trees while the forest is on fire."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 6, 2021 1:57 PM

Even India requires a photo ID for voting and a voter ID card. I am from India and the vast majority of them do not register births or have papers. But the government verifies their stats and issues voter IDs. So if India can do it and secures elections, a rich country like America can do it. So not sure why Democrats are opposed to it when it makes elections prone to rigging. Maybe that?

by Anonymousreply 196April 6, 2021 2:17 PM

Coke, please.

by Anonymousreply 197April 6, 2021 2:19 PM

You answer your own question, R196

[quote] But the government verifies their stats and issues voter IDs.

If that were the case here this conversation would be moot.

This bill is about setting up a hurdle and then framing the conversation such that honestly confused people like you question the problem. Watch the video at R195 for a perspective on how one party has historically sought to winnow the voting pool

by Anonymousreply 198April 6, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote] Even India requires a photo ID for voting and a voter ID card.

Oh, do they have the same Constitution we do, where voting is a right?

[quote]So not sure why Democrats are opposed to it when it makes elections prone to rigging.

Never in the history of federal American elections has one been “prone to rigging,” nor has there ever been any fraud that would have any impact on an election if not caught.

There’s no there there. There’s no evidence because none exists because it didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 199April 6, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote] Never in the history of federal American elections has one been “prone to rigging,” nor has there ever been any fraud that would have any impact on an election if not caught.

::: giggle :::

by Anonymousreply 200April 6, 2021 2:32 PM

Um, giggling Daly, what part of federal election did you misunderstand, hon?

by Anonymousreply 201April 6, 2021 2:41 PM

We have people here trying to defend something that was done where there was NO problem and only someone willfully ignorant can pretend they don't know precisely why it was done. They can't explain why GA felt compelled to do this now all of a sudden after decades of the GOP winning. They can't actually defend many of the specifics.

And the few examples of fraud were committed by Trump voters - one asshole trying to vote for his dead mother. And guess what? He was CAUGHT.

by Anonymousreply 202April 6, 2021 4:27 PM

R187, Daniel Dale would like to have a word with you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 6, 2021 4:33 PM

R199 The right to vote like the right to bear arms are constitutional but there can be stipulations such as age and ID in order to exercise those rights. And an ID would seem to be 1 way to show proof of age.

by Anonymousreply 204April 6, 2021 5:25 PM

R204, again, why are you ignoring that GA never felt compelled to do this until NOW? And they have no evidence of it having even been necessary. You know what's illegal? A presidential candidate calling the AG and telling him to "find" votes - that's fucking illegal. That is what should outrage you. That is what Gov. Kemp should actually be outraged by, but he isn't, is he? Nope.

This comes down to one thing: Republicans can't win a damned thing without gerrymandering or laws that make it harder for certain people to vote. They can't fucking win based solely on people using their right to vote and so they have to pull this shit and you know it. This is solely about suppressing votes.

by Anonymousreply 205April 6, 2021 5:45 PM

R205 Are you from Georgia? How are they suppressing votes and according to whom? Other states have similar requirements. How does all this affect you?

by Anonymousreply 206April 6, 2021 5:49 PM

R206, you keep avoiding the biggest question: Why was this done in the first place when they never felt it necessary before?

by Anonymousreply 207April 6, 2021 6:32 PM

Differences between Colorado and Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 6, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote]Are you from Georgia?

I wouldn't know about it except for the people FROM GA.

by Anonymousreply 209April 6, 2021 6:33 PM

Question:

[quote] you keep avoiding the biggest question: Why was this done in the first place when they never felt it necessary before?

Answer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 6, 2021 6:57 PM

R206 I think your missing the point. Are you concerned about states changing laws and requirements regarding quarantining, pot, vaccinations, gun ownership regulations ? Don't states have a right to do that? Do they have to answer to you? When did Georgia become your concern and why? Are you concerned that Colorado which requires voter proof of identification and has fewer early voting days than Georgia will gain from what will be a 100 million dollar loss for Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 211April 6, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] And yes there are even more ways that the new voter suppression law is designed to make voting harder in Georgia: You can still vote absentee for any reason, but now it’s illegal for officials to send absentee applications to every voter.

You mean prevent unsolicited ballots? Preventing issues that arise from voter rolls not being updated? Absentee forms can also be filled out online.

[quote] The law also reduces how much time a voter has to request a ballot, and blocks any organizations that help people get absentee ballots. It also requires every absentee voter to jump through extra hoops that a voter at the polls does NOT have to.

You mean prevent ballot harvesting? Those extra hoops are necessary in my opinion.

[quote] The new law sets up requirements for early voting—like not allowing it after 5 pm—that make it harder for working people to vote. It also eliminates mobile voting stations, except in an emergency—like hurricanes or alien invasion—and only if the governor says to do it.

Wrong.

[quote] Altogether, the law’s discourage absentee voting and make early voting less effective. The intent seems to be causing much much longer & slower lines at the polls, which, again, will mean large numbers of working class, elderly, and sick voters who just give up and go home. 10/17 And if anybody who comes along to offer a battle of water or a Ritz cracker to a voter getting thirsty or tired? Well, as everyone has heard, now that simple, kind gesture will be a crime, thanks to our state elected officials.

You mean by allowing even greater access to early voting? Also preventing electioneering? People can supply their own food or drink.

[quote] Also puts huge limits on local officials allowing extra “drop boxes” for absentee ballots, another way of increasing the odds of long long lines at the regular polls.

You mean increasing surveillance of drop boxes to insure chain of custody?

by Anonymousreply 212April 6, 2021 7:49 PM

R212, again. everything you've mentioned was NEVER a god damned concern until the GOP lost; That is the part you omit. Not a single one of the changes you mentioned was a concern BEFORE the Dems took the state.

There was no mass confusion, there was no mass voter fraud. People weren't being poisoned by food or water or suddenly decided to change their vote because they were given a damned bottle of water.

You don't make changes to a system unless there were massive issues. In GA, the only "issue" was that the DEMS finally won after decades. That's the only thing that was different this time.

by Anonymousreply 213April 6, 2021 8:13 PM

R209 Most people I'm sure heard about it from President Biden who made 3 erroneous claims regarding the voting laws in Georgia during a televised event.

by Anonymousreply 214April 6, 2021 8:13 PM

R213 You are angry and uninformed. There's nothing unconstitutional in what Georgia is doing for those voting laws regarding ID and electioneering already exist in most states.

by Anonymousreply 215April 6, 2021 8:16 PM

R214, why do you keep avoiding the question: WHY WAS THIS DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Point to the reason for the changes.

If someone sets fire to the house and someone erroneously reports that there was cash in the house, that doesn't make the fire itself a lie. The Republican Party these days does nothing that is not specifically to benefit THEM. Every move they make is about grasping onto power because demographics are not in their favor. You're trying to pretend the south in particular does not have a long history of suppressing the black vote. Kemp isn't doing this to for altruistic reasons; that he is doing this at all shows how desperate the GOP is to hold onto power.

by Anonymousreply 216April 6, 2021 8:18 PM

R215, and you keep avoiding the question. You can't point to the reason any of this needed to be done when there were no issues except that the Dems finally won.

by Anonymousreply 217April 6, 2021 8:20 PM

BTW, you guys can now drop the Colorado analogy because that one as a cudgel didn't workout so well, did it?

by Anonymousreply 218April 6, 2021 8:22 PM

Republican Big Lies are easily debunked. But they keep telling them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219April 6, 2021 8:24 PM

This is what happens when nepotism is how you got your job. He's just so bad at this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 6, 2021 8:28 PM

R216 Georgia is doing it for the reasons that other states have enacted laws regarding ID and electioneering to reduce the potential for voter fraud. And in order to enact legislation those states didn't have to produce evidence of voter fraud. It's a measure to reduce the potential for voter fraud. Isn't that obvious? And what's wrong with that? And gain why are you getting your panties in such a wad over it?

by Anonymousreply 221April 6, 2021 8:33 PM

Why do you need legislation to reduce something that doesn't happen?

by Anonymousreply 222April 6, 2021 8:34 PM

This is a joke. Colorado has more voting restrictions than GA does. Nobody read this fucking bill.

So, the woke squad managed to get the game moved from a 75% African-American city to a 10% African-American city.

Good going, assholes! You deserve it!

by Anonymousreply 223April 6, 2021 8:36 PM

R220 She neglected to mention that CO has HALF the available voting days that GA does.

by Anonymousreply 224April 6, 2021 8:39 PM

R221, if you had to bet your life that GA would've done this had Purdue/Loeffler/Trump won the state, I doubt you would take the bet that yes they would - that's the point. None of this was done for innocuous reasons. You do things like this when you can point to actual problems with how your election was run. There were no problems from an objective standpoint.

Even Kemp's only election was spurious. He had control over his own election and took advantage of that fact.

by Anonymousreply 225April 6, 2021 8:39 PM

R223, you must've just woken up - that CO bullshit has already been debunked. Maybe pay attention to the update, right-wing talking points.

by Anonymousreply 226April 6, 2021 8:40 PM

R224, you neglect to mention that CO has HALF the population of GA.

by Anonymousreply 227April 6, 2021 8:41 PM

R223, check your fax machine -- I assume you still use a fax -- to get this afternoon's revised RNC talking points.

by Anonymousreply 228April 6, 2021 8:43 PM

R228, and their ideology itself is "pony express" in nature.

by Anonymousreply 229April 6, 2021 8:45 PM

R222 It's preventative. In the last 4 election cycles there has been a significant increase in people voting by absentee ballots. Sounds like a smart move for that reason to proof of ID for mail in ballots. And why are you so fired up regarding something that does not affect you directly? How do you feel about Arizona and Texas and the thousands of Covid infected immigrants being detained with our tax dollars?

by Anonymousreply 230April 6, 2021 8:45 PM

I'm disappointed you couldn't work Hunter Biden into that, R230.

by Anonymousreply 231April 6, 2021 8:48 PM

R230, now you're conflating another issue with this. And this absolutely affects me as an American. What we need to actually prevent is scummy, corrupt presidential candidates and their scummy flying monkey minions like Graham calling states and interfering in their elections. Why aren't you angered by that? That is where we actually have a problem. That actually DID occur to the point that those officials got death threats. How about a law that if you're a candidate, you immediately get removed from the ballot if you try and interfere with that state's process? You know, a problem that actually occurred?

by Anonymousreply 232April 6, 2021 8:53 PM

Looking forward to Georgia enacting "preventative" legislation against time travel, robbery by light saber, and human-alien coitus.

by Anonymousreply 233April 6, 2021 8:58 PM

R233, that last one will certainly make GA incel-free. You know that's the only hope for that lot.

by Anonymousreply 234April 6, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] Are you from Georgia? How does all this affect you?

[quote] And why are you so fired up regarding something that does not affect you directly?

You do realize we live in the [bold]United[/bold] States of America, right?

By your logic, why should I give a shit if South Carolina makes homosexuality illegal? Or enacts a law that enacts the death penalty for public urination? Hell, I’m thousands of miles away, why should I care? Jesus, it’s a good thing you weren’t around for the Civil Rights Movement. “Aw, hell, it ain’t even my state. What do I care?”

“Injustice to one is injustice to all.”

—MLK

by Anonymousreply 235April 6, 2021 9:07 PM

R234, thanks for bringing a chuckle in to this increasingly heated conversation. I got a kick out of it.

by Anonymousreply 236April 6, 2021 9:08 PM

Here's another one, R236

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 6, 2021 9:12 PM

R231 My point is if you are so suddenly concerned about the state of Georgia and you are not a resident why not concern yourself with what's happening in Texas and Arizona or for that matter NYC.

by Anonymousreply 238April 6, 2021 9:13 PM

R235 Are you concerned with illegals spilling into the US on our southern border?

by Anonymousreply 239April 6, 2021 9:14 PM

This is such bizarre reasoning: "You can't voice an opinion on Georgia voting laws unless you simultaneously render a judgment on the Arizona border!"

by Anonymousreply 240April 6, 2021 9:16 PM

R239, I'm concerned about many things. I can actually walk and chew gum at the same time. Being concerned about one thing, doesn't mean you ignore everything else.

by Anonymousreply 241April 6, 2021 9:20 PM

R240 Calm down granny. No one said you can't voice and opinion on Georgia voting laws unless you simultaneously render a judgment on the Arizona border but I'm curious if you are worried about our country, why concern yourself with Georgia when they are enacting legislation that already exists in other states and ignore as Biden does a potential threat occurring at out borders which could negatively affect all Americans.

by Anonymousreply 242April 6, 2021 9:22 PM

Busted!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243April 6, 2021 9:30 PM

R242 = Hey folks, look at that shiny over there!

by Anonymousreply 244April 6, 2021 9:31 PM

R242 Or just repeat Biden's erroneous statements and accept that it's about racism while the same laws exist in other states. And maybe Biden is focusing on Georgia so as to divert attention from the border which he doesn't address and diverted that task to Hyena Harris.

by Anonymousreply 245April 6, 2021 9:41 PM

R244 Well Georgia enacting legislation that exists in other states and saying its sick is a good diversion from the crisis at the border for Joe who has assigned that task to President err I mean Vice-president Hyena Harris.

by Anonymousreply 246April 6, 2021 9:58 PM

Atlanta Mayor Bottoms is taking steps to improve communications and facilitate constituent services

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 6, 2021 10:04 PM

R233 If I live in my mother's basement surrounded by the stench of crotch rot I'd probably look forward to those things as well

by Anonymousreply 248April 6, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote]Why would an Ivy League university need a death squad?

To kill anyone who thinks Dartmouth ranks higher than them

by Anonymousreply 249April 7, 2021 12:42 AM

Will Delta and American Airlines allow people on flights without identification?

by Anonymousreply 250April 7, 2021 1:41 AM

[quote] NEW: Mayor Bottoms has issued an administrative order calling for "a series of actions to mitigate the impact of new voting restrictions"

Might be more productive if she did something for all those people who lost their jobs or at least a major chunk of income thanks to the woke grandstanding of out of state millionaires and mega corporations.

by Anonymousreply 251April 7, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]Will Delta and American Airlines allow people on flights without identification?

When you can point to a significant amount of voter fraud that occurred in GA in 2020 (since GOP GA didn't give a fuck before when they were winning), get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 252April 7, 2021 2:19 AM

R251, I suggest you watch Rachel Maddow's show tonight. Corporate involvement in voting rights is not new. 2006.

by Anonymousreply 253April 7, 2021 2:20 AM

[quote]woke grandstanding of out of state millionaires and mega corporations.

Christ, fuck off. We are talking about elections that affect the whole country. If GA fucks with voting and we end up with Trump or Senators who are regressive shits, that affects us all.

You sound like such a tool using this argument, particularly the mega corp. nonsense when Republicans have only ever served corporations and you people never gave a damn when they fought against regulations and paying their fair share. You suddenly have an issue with them? Such a dumb argument.

by Anonymousreply 254April 7, 2021 2:23 AM

Who can hear about all the fizzing at the factory?

by Anonymousreply 255April 7, 2021 2:23 AM

R252 Why do you keep harping on proof of voter fraud as being necessary to change legislation? It's not and never has been and no other states that have similar laws needed to prove fraud. It's your issue and Georgia nor I cares what you think. It's a good idea as more states are seeing an increase in mail in and absentee ballots. it's a moot point. Is your name Eve? Who's 'us'?

by Anonymousreply 256April 7, 2021 2:53 AM

R256, here's what it comes down to: When you're on the same side of an issue as Trump, Kemp, McConnell, Graham, McCarthy, Cruz, Hawley, QAnon, etc...you're the one who is on the wrong side of an issue.

You will never look good when those are with whom you are aligned. You're attempting to rationalize what comes down to trying to discourage people from voting because the Republican party cannot win based on their putrid platform of regression, bigotry, racism and lies.

by Anonymousreply 257April 7, 2021 3:17 AM

R257 And how are people being discouraged from voting? An words like regression, bigotry, racism, lies and suppression aren't explanatory.

by Anonymousreply 258April 7, 2021 3:38 AM

R258, enough.

Accept that you're on the wrong side of this. You know damned well why you are and you're doing everything possible to dismiss why this happened in the first place. It's obvious your goal is solely to rationalize it and to pretend it didn't happen specifically after an ignorant scumbag named Donald Trump lied about the US election system - as he did back in 2016. The only reason the GOP dd something now is because Trump owns the party and they are playing into the lies.

And those words I used are specifically why a genuinely stupid man like Trump became the GOP nominee. The Republican party is run by Trump now because he expressed -out loud- the actual beliefs of the GOP. They did not gravitate to Trump because he was some magnificent orator. He was a limited idiot who played into the prejudices of even bigger idiots and that's all it took for him to take over the party.

by Anonymousreply 259April 7, 2021 3:55 AM

R259 Accept I'm on the wrong side? I'm not aligned with any group or organization. I think states should be allowed to change legislation without being accused with feelings not facts and MLB or any corporation is punishing the people of that state. You are concerned with Trump Qanon . . .that's how you filter information and characterize people who hold different opinions. But you haven't made anything like a cogent argument.

by Anonymousreply 260April 7, 2021 4:11 AM

Washington Post gives Biden Four Pinocchios over Georgia law misstatments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261April 7, 2021 4:15 AM

R259 there's some facts re some recent disinformation disinformation @ R261 Continually repeating something doesn't make it true or actual.

by Anonymousreply 262April 7, 2021 4:22 AM

Biden needs to acknowledge his 'mistake' On national television Biden was asking MLB to boycott something based on his disinformation costing a $100 million loss in revenue for the state.

by Anonymousreply 263April 7, 2021 4:38 AM

R261, over a SECTION

by Anonymousreply 264April 7, 2021 4:39 AM

Washington Post has turned full-on deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 265April 7, 2021 4:47 AM

R265 How perceptive of you and original!

by Anonymousreply 266April 7, 2021 4:49 AM

Some people really need to quit Trump.

by Anonymousreply 267April 7, 2021 5:03 AM

[quote] Washington Post has turned full-on deplorable.

Not entirely. President Biden misspoke and every major conservative commentator from Cernovich to Kirk to Shapiro used that "Four Pinocchios" headline, verbatim, to announce it. They know their base either can't read the article behind the paywall or won't read WaPo on principle. Thus, they use the clever gimmick to spread his error far and wide without addressing how relatively innocent Biden's mistake is relation to how heinous the intent of the legislation is.

by Anonymousreply 268April 7, 2021 11:35 AM

R249, FWIW, you’re why I come here.

😂

by Anonymousreply 269April 7, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] and MLB or any corporation is punishing the people of that state.

Major League Baseball is a business. Moving the All-Star Game out of Atlanta was a [bold]business[/bold] decision after Georgia passed these laws. For years Repigs have been saying “Let the market decide!”

Well guess what? The market decided.

by Anonymousreply 270April 7, 2021 4:42 PM

R270 and how was 'the market' a factor in that decision? It was the franchise's decision.

by Anonymousreply 271April 7, 2021 5:00 PM

R270 and where the citizens of Georgia part of that decision to lose revenue and jobs that will ultimately hurt the middle class?

by Anonymousreply 272April 7, 2021 5:02 PM

R271, you’re damn right it was the franchise’s decision. Businesses make decisions all the time, usually with their bottom line in mind. Were you this upset and worried about all these “middle class” people when Amazon opted not to build in Queens?

R272, since when are the citizens of any area in on the Board Room meetings when a corporation makes a corporate decision, whether that be to relocate their headquarters or lay off workers or close plants? Were the people of Detroit consulted when the auto industry opted to close plants? Were the people of Pittsburgh consulted when the steel mills closed?

by Anonymousreply 273April 7, 2021 5:08 PM

No charges for Representative Park Cannon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 7, 2021 5:12 PM

I know the lights went out there.

by Anonymousreply 275April 7, 2021 5:19 PM

^^Bitch

by Anonymousreply 276April 7, 2021 5:20 PM

Damien P. Williams, MA, MSc, Angry Black Person

[quote] Yeah maybe we could give people some kind of literacy test, or like, test their lineage, or, ooh ooh! I know: have them pay for peerage research right there at the voting booth! That way we'll make sure we get the "right quality" of voter.

[quote] Jesus fucking christ who lets you write

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 7, 2021 5:38 PM

R273 So who has benefitted besides Colorado? Georgia loses revenue but has the 'market' decision stopped the changes to voting requirements? So specifically how did the market decide as you said or was the franchise running scared because of talk of racism and voter suppression instigated by Dems? Are the people of Georgia satisfied with the result?

Delta and American Airlines are on board to require vaccine passports when traveling which will affect people who have had inequity of access to the vaccine and vaccinations are a personal choice and this would result in a two-tiered society and has privacy implications as well. The White House has left the decision to the private sector. Will the 'market' address this issue?

by Anonymousreply 278April 7, 2021 5:42 PM

Morning Joe thinks Biden screwed up.

After MSNBC’s Willie Geist pointed out that it is “impossible to square” Biden’s argument, Scarborough suggested the league and others, including the president, “jumped the gun” before actually reading Georgia’s law and comparing it to other states’ election laws.

“To listen to the president speaking right there, it’s impossible to square his argument,” Geist said. “One week ago, he was calling for the All-Star game to be moved out of Atlanta, and then shortly thereafter, it was. Now, he’s expressing concern about the idea of moving the Masters because of the impact it might have on working people in and around the Masters.”

Joe continued "when you line this bill up with what the laws were before the pandemic and what the laws are in states like New York, it is not Jim Crow 2.0.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 7, 2021 5:53 PM

R274 Can't stand that guy's smug face or his tweets.

by Anonymousreply 280April 7, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote] So who has benefitted besides Colorado? Georgia loses revenue but has the 'market' decision stopped the changes to voting requirements? So specifically how did the market decide as you said or was the franchise running scared because of talk of racism and voter suppression instigated by Dems? Are the people of Georgia satisfied with the result?

You’re either trolling or being deliberately obtuse. I suspect the latter.

I own Billy Joe Bob’s Widget Factory. The state I have my factory in has suddenly passed laws that I neither like nor agree with. I therefore decided Billy Joe Bob’s Widget Factory will no longer do business in that state. I’ve weighed the pros and cons, discussed it with my Board and we’ve decided a move would have no significant impact on our bottom line. Hence, I move. Did that change the laws I didn’t like? Probably not, but that state is not getting my tax revenue anymore. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll think in the future before passing these ridiculous laws so the next Billy Joe Bob’s Widget Factory won’t move away also. That’s the market deciding.

For years republicans have passed laws that benefit corporations all while deflecting criticism by saying the market will decide. Think about the baker refusing to bake a cake for the gay couple’s wedding: they said, “let the market decide. If people aren’t happy with that bakery’s decision, they’ll go elsewhere.” That’s exactly what MLB did. And now, and only now, suddenly you and your ilk are worried about “oh, but, but, the middle class! Whatever shall they do?” FOH.

by Anonymousreply 281April 7, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote] you’re damn right it was the franchise’s decision. Businesses make decisions all the time, usually with their bottom line in mind. Were you this upset and worried about all these “middle class” people when Amazon opted not to build in Queens?

Yes, and this case illustrates how a company's bottom line has nothing to do with the people they allegedly answer to. Amazon is a different case altogether. They have put millions of small businesses out of commission through predatory pricing and shit working conditions.

[quote] since when are the citizens of any area in on the Board Room meetings when a corporation makes a corporate decision, whether that be to relocate their headquarters or lay off workers or close plants? Were the people of Detroit consulted when the auto industry opted to close plants? Were the people of Pittsburgh consulted when the steel mills closed?

Corporations would employ immigrants and outsource jobs even it mean hollowing out the local economy. They don't even have to serve the American market if they don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 282April 7, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote] Delta and American Airlines are on board to require vaccine passports when traveling which will affect people who have had inequity of access to the vaccine and vaccinations are a personal choice and this would result in a two-tiered society and has privacy implications as well. The White House has left the decision to the private sector. Will the 'market' address this issue?

How you can compare protecting the health of their other customers while they’re using that company’s services with blatantly racist voting overhaul laws, I don’t get.

And yes, the market will decide. If Delta and American are the only airlines to do that (they won’t be) and the market says “I didn’t get a vaccine, I’m not flying either of those airlines,” their profits will either suffer or not. In the same way they can require you to keep your shirt on through the flight, or not be intoxicated, they have every right to determine whether they want to do business with you or not.

Inequities in getting the vaccine in the United States is not an issue if you want the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 283April 7, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] Yes, and this case illustrates how a company's bottom line has nothing to do with the people they allegedly answer to.

The only people a corporation answers to are its stockholders. Period.

by Anonymousreply 284April 7, 2021 6:08 PM

R284 Right, these companies do pay attention to market forces but on a global scale. We no longer live in a society where corporations can be held accountable by American market forces. Instead, you have mega corps like Amazon competing with countries that employ slave labor and sell cheap knockoff products.

by Anonymousreply 285April 7, 2021 6:14 PM

R283 Not everyone who wants the vaccine can get it or has equal access to it. And airlines were flying passengers before there was even a vaccine. I don't agree that the changes to Georgia's voting requirements are racist and those requirements are no different than many other states where it isn't considered racist and you haven't proven that it is racist. We simply don't agree.

by Anonymousreply 286April 7, 2021 6:15 PM

These companies have become aligned with PACs and special interests. That's where the majority of their investment is tied up. Meanwhile, without the ability to vote with their dollars, the middle class is being denied their voice and being scapegoated as racists whenever they rail against the system.

by Anonymousreply 287April 7, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]I don't agree that the changes to Georgia's voting requirements are racist and those requirements are no different than many other states where it isn't considered racist and you haven't proven that it is racist. We simply don't agree.

But let's be honest -- if the governor of Georgia went on television and said, "The truth is, we want fewer black people to vote," you still wouldn't agree that it's racist.

by Anonymousreply 288April 7, 2021 6:19 PM

R288 I actually think telling black people they are too stupid or poor to vote, which is essentially what Democrats are saying, is much more racist.

by Anonymousreply 289April 7, 2021 6:21 PM

Well, bless your heart, R289.

by Anonymousreply 290April 7, 2021 6:24 PM

R289 Biden said 'Not everybody in the Hispanic and African-American community . . .know how to get online to determine how to get in line for that COVID vaccination at Walgreen's'

Sounds like his attitude toward minority voters in Georgia is just as condescending and demeaning.

by Anonymousreply 291April 7, 2021 6:30 PM

R281, the Republican reaction is always "cancel culture!" and "woke!" and "liberal snowflakes can't handle a different opinion!"...until it's a Starbucks 'red cup' or a "War on Christmas." Those are 'serious' issues that call for boycotts.

[quote][R288] I actually think telling black people they are too stupid or poor to vote, which is essentially what Democrats are saying, is much more racist.

God, do you EVER change the fucking script? How many years have you people been using this disingenuous crap to justify attempts at voter suppression? Now tell black people Dems are trying to "keep them on the plantation." Your "concern" for black people is about as relevant as neocons justifying the Iraq war by saying "Saddam is killing his own people." In other words, it's merely a talking point and there is not a shred of sincerity behind it.

by Anonymousreply 292April 7, 2021 6:31 PM

You are both wrong, R289 & R291 Please stop listening to Candace Owens and Fox.

Not everyone buys into the mentality of victimization as you do. When you focus on an ideology of self-reliance/sufficiency, what you assume is that someone is always your enemy until tested and proven otherwise. And they you apply that to every situation where you think you can score points against your opponents to divide and conquer.

On the other hand, what is the single greatest common denominator in the Black Southern community? So as challenging as it may be, try to imagine how the fight for protection, compassion and equality is being received by individuals raised in faith as their brothers' and sisters' keepers.

Related: once you understand that, you will begin to see why the relatively small act of providing water is, in fact a massive insult. Also, you will then understand how President Biden was misquoted out of context for that internet stupidity.

Both are related to his faith and ensuring "the least" are provided for rather than generalizing or demeaning any.

by Anonymousreply 293April 7, 2021 6:47 PM

People are allowed to have and be given water on line as long as it isn't from a campaign operative. Campaign operatives in most states are required to be150 feet from the polling site. And when did bottle water become an issue of race and voter suppression?

by Anonymousreply 294April 7, 2021 8:34 PM

Not true, r294.

Only poll workers are permitted to hand out water.

[quote] Under the new legislation, it is illegal for anyone except poll workers to provide food or water to voters in line for polls. According to Eric Segall, Ashe family chair professor of law at Georgia State University College of Law, this means not even friends and family can bring snacks to voters in line.

See link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295April 7, 2021 8:42 PM

I'd give up my straw hat and my new cushiony Crocs flip flops before I'd give up my ice cold Coca Cola.

by Anonymousreply 296April 7, 2021 8:52 PM

Look atchoo!

New crocs? You livin’ high on the hog now, ain’t ya?

by Anonymousreply 297April 7, 2021 8:56 PM

R294 And I assume people can bring their own. SO WHY DID BIDEN MAKE IT SUCH A TALKING POINT?

by Anonymousreply 298April 7, 2021 9:10 PM

Maybe because it was completely unnecessary to codify who could bring food and water to those waiting in line?

by Anonymousreply 299April 7, 2021 9:12 PM

R295 People can bring their own water, yes? So what's the issue? Never saw anyone on line with snacks or heard of anyone dying from dehydration while waiting to vote.

by Anonymousreply 300April 7, 2021 9:13 PM

So why was it necessary to write it into a law if it doesn’t make a difference?

by Anonymousreply 301April 7, 2021 9:24 PM

HEY! I have a great idea!

Instead of repeatedly trying to convince the willfully ignorant why unnecessary laws about food and beverage are historically demoralizing, contextually inappropriate and capriciously discriminatory...let's focus on the hyperpartisan restructuring of the state election management, which is wholly antithetical to the express stated purpose of this unethical and disenfranchising legislation!

by Anonymousreply 302April 7, 2021 9:27 PM

So the rightwing is boycotting Coke and now the leftwing is too. Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 303April 7, 2021 9:29 PM

R283 Since vaccine passports are not in place it seems that the 'market' has decided and airlines are doing brisk business. And if it is such a health issue are you suggesting that the airlines were endangering our health? And like the question of Georgia voting, when did the airlines decide that vaccination passports might be necessary and why? Is there proof that flying on airplanes is dangerous? I assume that you haven't taken a commercial flight during the pandemic.

And aren't vaccination passports unfair to those in " . . .the Hispanic and African-American community who don't know how to get online to get inline for that COVID vaccination at Walgreens" according to our President?

by Anonymousreply 304April 7, 2021 9:32 PM

it should be boycotted for being unhealthy in every form.

by Anonymousreply 305April 7, 2021 9:43 PM

R305 'unhealthy in every form'

And when you can point to evidence of significant health problems related to commercial flights get back to 'us'

by Anonymousreply 306April 7, 2021 9:55 PM

[quote]And when you can point to evidence of significant health problems related to commercial flights get back to 'us'

Flying with riff-raff makes me ill!

Business/First is not far away enough.

by Anonymousreply 307April 7, 2021 10:25 PM

R307 Maybe you should use a private jet like Biden's top environmental policy advisor, John Kerry.

by Anonymousreply 308April 7, 2021 10:37 PM

The Republican Secretary of State

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 8, 2021 1:31 AM

R309, this is one of the stipulations our resident DL Jim Crow defender ignores...

by Anonymousreply 310April 8, 2021 1:47 AM

Jim Crow like Nazi are used by people who usually don't understand history and who use hyperbole instead of facts.

by Anonymousreply 311April 8, 2021 2:02 AM

Whatever, R311. Same mentality. You don't actually have to be blocking the black people from the registrar's office or sending people into ovens to have that same mindset.

by Anonymousreply 312April 8, 2021 2:05 AM

Texas

[quote] 1. In an angry, rambling press conference yesterday Texas Lt. Gov @DanPatrick claimed SB 7 doesn't limit early, Election Day or mail-in voting.

[quote] Then he listed all the ways SB 7 restricts early, Election Day or mail-in voting.

[quote] freely admitted that the bill targeted Harris County, home of Houston and many Black voters.

[quote] He described Harris County as a crime-ravaged hellhole.

[quote] 3. @DanPatrick ticked through all the ways SB 7 would prevent Harris from continuing to offer options that makes voting easier, like drive-thru voting

[quote] He claimed this was doing people of color a favor because most don't own cars. (Seriously.)

[quote] 4. @DanPatrick admitted that he did not have any evidence of voter fraud in Texas (which already has the nation's strictest voting laws) but that further restrictions were necessary because people have lost confidence in the election.

[quote] 5. @DanPatrick didn't acknowledge that some Republicans have lost confidence because of people like Patrick who, before the election, said the only way Democrats could win PA is to steal it.

[quote] 6. After the election @DanPatrick was so convinced there was a coverup that he offered a $1 million reward for people to come forward with evidence of voter fraud.

[quote] 7. @DanPatrick also promised payback for @AmericanAir because the company spoke out against the bill. Patrick warned the company not to "come to us with their hand out" because "that’s just not going to be the way we do business"

[quote] 8. @DanPatrick took a few questions at the end but ended the press conference after a reporter asked a question he didn't like.

[quote] "I didn't come here to take stupid questions from the media"

[quote] It was actually a great question.

[quote] 9. The next two weeks are critical. SB 7 is NOT guaranteed to pass. It's already losing some GOP support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 8, 2021 2:08 AM

I wish airlines, Coke and Target would take their headquarters out of Georgia and move to a state that won't try to ban minorities from voting. Once hundreds of thousands of jobs are lost, the Republicans in Georgia will be voted out and all southern states will change their laws. Will businesses do this?

by Anonymousreply 314April 8, 2021 2:14 AM

We choose truth over facts.

by Anonymousreply 315April 8, 2021 2:16 AM

"Jim Crow on steroids" Joe Biden the great unifier!

'President Biden is very adept at race baiting' 'He's not telling the truth" Dr. Alveda King Niece of MLK and Former Legislator in the Georgia House of Representatives

by Anonymousreply 316April 8, 2021 2:44 AM

[quote]'President Biden is very adept at race baiting' 'He's not telling the truth" Dr. Alveda King Niece of MLK and Former Legislator in the Georgia House of Representatives

She's a self-loathing Trumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 317April 8, 2021 2:51 AM

I prefer to listen to Bernice King, DAUGHTER of MLK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 8, 2021 2:55 AM

72 Year old Alveda King actually lived during the time of the Jim Crow laws unlike most DLers who merely repeat what they've heard.

by Anonymousreply 319April 8, 2021 2:57 AM

Alveda King voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.

For the 2020 presidential election, King was an advisory board member of Black Voices for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 320April 8, 2021 2:58 AM

You know who else lived through Jim Crow? Coretta Scott King

You know who supported gay rights? Coretta Scott King

You know who believed in a woman's right to choose? Coretta Scott King

You know who raised Yolanda, Bernice & Dexter? Coretta Scott King

And, do you know who was the Senior Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church at the time of the death of Coretta Scott King? Raphael Warnock.

by Anonymousreply 321April 8, 2021 3:12 AM

Anyone born before 1968 lived through the Jim Crow era R319. Alveda King is 70, nor 72 R319.

by Anonymousreply 322April 8, 2021 3:12 AM

Lived it as a black in the South? There's a difference between living and lived through.

by Anonymousreply 323April 8, 2021 4:00 AM

'. . . Obama is the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy' Joe Biden

I beg to differ

by Anonymousreply 324April 8, 2021 4:08 AM

R323 I was responding to R319. If you read their comment they said she "lived" during Jim Crow.

by Anonymousreply 325April 8, 2021 4:08 AM

Poor kids are just as smart as white kids.

by Anonymousreply 326April 8, 2021 4:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 8, 2021 11:19 AM

Kentucky

[quote] Establishes three days of in-person early voting.

[quote] Keeps in place some of the emergency features implemented due to the pandemic, including an online portal for absentee ballot registration, absentee drop boxes and voting centers where residents from any precinct can vote. It establishes a process to cure deficient absentee ballots and requires a gradual switch to equipment that can process paper ballots.

[quote] The law gives state officials more authority to remove individuals from voter rolls if they have moved away and registered to vote in another state.

[quote] It prohibits and penalizes ballot harvesting, among other provisions.

[quote] Beshear also said that while he wanted more in the bill, the legislation is a "win for Kentucky." "While some states have stepped in a different direction, I'm really proud of Kentucky."

[quote] Kentucky Secretary of State Michael Adams, a Republican, added, "While other states are caught up in partisan division, Kentucky is leading the nation in making it both easier to vote and harder to cheat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328April 8, 2021 12:11 PM

[quote] 72 Year old Alveda King actually lived during the time of the Jim Crow laws unlike most DLers

72 is spry young whippersnapper around here!

by Anonymousreply 329April 8, 2021 2:35 PM

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that most of these laws are being pushed by white, Southern Republicans...not known for their racism. Just ask John McCain's black child.

This is all about "voter integrity" from a group known for their openness to allowing people of color to vote.

God, the desperation to pretend we don't all see why any of this is being done. Fucking pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 330April 8, 2021 5:12 PM

...rats...sinking ship...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331April 8, 2021 6:04 PM

A couple of people in this thread want you to believe that these people are doing what they're doing for perfectly good reasons. Nothing untoward and ignore that the very people within their own party know it's wrong:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 8, 2021 6:32 PM

Making election fraud harder will make it harder for Democrats to win elections. That is what this entire debate is about, only the Dems refuse to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 333April 8, 2021 6:44 PM

You're a fucking idiot, R333. The only cases of fraud have been TRUMP voters, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 334April 8, 2021 7:31 PM

The only reason the GOP can win at all is gerrymandering and the EC. MILLIONS more people vote for Dems. Most people vote Dem in this country because no normal human with a modicum of decency could look at that pile of shit known as the GOP and think that you're anything but putrid supporting a bunch of terrorists who can't win fairly, so they try to burn it all down.

Trash.

by Anonymousreply 335April 8, 2021 7:35 PM

At least Corn Pop didn’t bomb Syria illegally.

by Anonymousreply 336April 8, 2021 8:08 PM

Go page by page through Georgia’s new voting law, and one takeaway stands above all others: The Republican legislature and governor have made a breathtaking assertion of partisan power in elections, making absentee voting harder and creating restrictions and complications

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:

[quote] Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.

[quote] There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.

[quote] It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.

[quote] Drop boxes still exist … but barely.

[quote] Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.

[quote] Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.

[quote] Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.

[quote] If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.

[quote] If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.

[quote] With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.

[quote] Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).

[quote] With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.

[quote] The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.

[quote] The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.

[quote] The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.

[quote] Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337April 8, 2021 8:10 PM

If 2020 was indeed the most secure election in history, then that is all the more reason why we need voter integrity reform because half the country don't believe that Joe Biden is the most popular presidential candidate of all time.

by Anonymousreply 338April 8, 2021 8:24 PM

Because he fucking isn’t. He stole the nomination from Bernie Sanders outright while those billionaires who supposedly can’t buy him did and bought his silence.

by Anonymousreply 339April 8, 2021 8:26 PM

I love Coke and two slices of pizza, one plain, one pepperoni, cheese all messy and Oregano on top, but ...it's horrible for you

by Anonymousreply 340April 8, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote]because half the country don't believe that Joe Biden is the most popular presidential candidate of all time.

I couldn't give a fuck what they think. They're too stupid to live because they bought into a lie told by a stupid man because they themselves are trash. And yeah, I'm allowed to say that when those same scumbags were a part of January 6th or supported it. Fuck them and fuck anyone who normalizes them as they whine about millionaire asshole Sharon Osborne losing a talk show, but spreading feces on walls and beating this shit out of cops because they don't actually believe in what this country stands for, is perfectly reasonable.

I literally need to bathe just reading anything from a parasite who defends any of this.

by Anonymousreply 341April 8, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote] because half the country don't believe that Joe Biden is the most popular presidential candidate of all time.

[quote]Because he fucking isn’t.

You’re right. But trump was so reviled and was the worst president in history that I proffer had a stray cat run against him that cat would’ve been the most popular presidential candidate in history.

by Anonymousreply 342April 8, 2021 9:14 PM

Just because Biden got the most votes in presidential election history doesn’t mean what you think it means.

This election also had the most votes cast in history. Biden won by 8 million of those approximately 150 million (+5.3%).

by Anonymousreply 343April 8, 2021 9:17 PM

That reminds me. Run to the drugstore and get me a lemon-coke with plenty of chipped ice in it!

by Anonymousreply 344April 8, 2021 9:18 PM

Democrats are the most popular party in this country and have been for years. The overwhelming majority of people vote for Dems at every level - including the election lost by Dems in 2016 and including the fact that 12 Million more people vote for Dems than Reps, yet we have some horseshit 50-50 divide because a putrid state like MS gets the same power as NY.

The Republican party is a shit party with no actual platform beyond being an aggrieved, whining, white person who screams about things like affrim. action as they vote for people who aren't qualified to run a lemonade stand, are genuinely stupid and had everything in life handed to them.

by Anonymousreply 345April 8, 2021 9:24 PM

affirm*

by Anonymousreply 346April 8, 2021 9:24 PM

[quote] You’re right. But trump was so reviled and was the worst president in history that I proffer had a stray cat run against him that cat would’ve been the most popular presidential candidate in history.

Yet he got more votes than any sitting president in history which is also weird.

by Anonymousreply 347April 9, 2021 12:16 AM

His mistake was only counting the votes of the living.

by Anonymousreply 348April 9, 2021 12:26 AM

Fucking Texas, again

[quote] In a leaked video of a recent presentation, a man who identifies himself as a GOP official in Harris County, Tex., says the party needs 10,000 Republicans for an “election integrity brigade” in Houston.

[quote] Then he pulls up a map of the area’s voting precincts and points to Houston’s dense, racially diverse urban core, saying the party specifically needed volunteers with “the confidence and courage to come down here,” adding, “this is where the fraud is occurring.”

[quote] The official cites widespread vote fraud, which has not been documented in Texas, as driving the need for an “army” of poll watchers to monitor voters at every precinct in the county.

[quote] The video, recorded in early March, comes as the Texas Legislature considers a set of voting changes that would expand the role of poll watchers and limit other election officials’ ability to oversee those volunteers.

[quote] Republicans have proposed a raft of such legislation in dozens of statehouses across the country, insisting they are necessary to shore up confidence in voting systems. But nationwide, as in Texas, critics say these voting bills would only tighten access to the ballot box, particularly for voters of color and other marginalized groups.

[quote] The Texas state Senate last week approved Senate Bill 7, which has been deemed a priority by Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) and which would prohibit drive-through voting and limit extended early voting hours.

[quote] The bill would also allow give poll watchers — volunteers who are appointed by local party officials — the sole power to film and photograph inside the state’s polling locations, for the purpose of sending footage to the Texas secretary of state’s office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349April 9, 2021 12:42 AM

We had an office lunch this week and I made sure not to order Coca-Cola for our group.

by Anonymousreply 350April 9, 2021 1:10 AM

If this gets those deplorable fatsos into shape, it'll be worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351April 9, 2021 1:19 AM

Why in the hell would we want them in shape? I prefer early deaths for those parasites.

by Anonymousreply 352April 9, 2021 1:22 AM

JET BLUE is now on the boycott list along with Delta airlines.

by Anonymousreply 353April 9, 2021 2:02 AM

R293 I'm responding to comments made by Biden. I don't need Candace Owens or Fox or CNN or MSNBC or the NY Times . . . to tell me how to think. It's called independent thought. And I don't see the relatively small act of providing water as a massive insult, but rather as a snowflake creating an avalanche. And there are no restrictions about people bringing their own water are there? And 'his' faith is irrelevant to me.

by Anonymousreply 354April 9, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote]And there are no restrictions about people bringing their own water are there?

And yet there are restrictions to the point of being arrested for bringing someone water - you seem to think that's perfectly reasonable. Why is it you get to decide that others should bring their own water but I don't get to think it's abnormal to be arrested if I brought someone water?

by Anonymousreply 355April 9, 2021 2:31 AM

At least it’s safer than the water in Flint, MI.

by Anonymousreply 356April 9, 2021 2:38 AM

R355 It has to do with the rules of electioneering and Biden magnified a small and moot point. And what does water have to do with mail in ballots and early voting ?

by Anonymousreply 357April 9, 2021 2:41 AM

R357, why are you so invested in acting as though any of this needed to be done? Why are you so invested in pretending that had Ossoff, Warner and Biden not won, none of this would've happened? Why do you keep acting as though the GOP does anything these days that isn't about grasping onto power? Southern, white Republicans don't do things for the betterment of anyone who isn't them. They are scum and anyone who defends this is scum.

Now do stripping the SoS of his role all of a sudden. And do one person getting to throw out a county's votes for no other reason than they didn't vote Republican.

Someone could bring water and I could bring them water if I want. Why is it up to you to decide? This is sick and you are sick for trying to rationalize it.

by Anonymousreply 358April 9, 2021 2:48 AM

R358 Are you from Georgia? Why are you so concerned? Are you aware of voting procedures in your state? If you are a Georgian just know that you should bring water unless you plan to vote early or by mail in which case there will be no major dilemma concerning water. How do you feel about these major issues? Toilet seat up or down? Should you refrigerate peanut butter or not?

by Anonymousreply 359April 9, 2021 2:56 AM

The people FROM Georgia know this is bullshit. Who the fuck are you to decide anything? You think it's normal to suddenly ARREST someone for handing out water when it was a never an issue before? You think it's normal to strip away the powers of the SoS to oversee the integrity of an election all of a sudden because a scumbag orange clown couldn't get the SoS to "find him votes."

There's something seriously wrong with you that you pretend any of this has happened for any other reason than Republican assholes after a couple of decades of NOT doing any of this, suddenly do it when Dems win.

by Anonymousreply 360April 9, 2021 3:01 AM

R360 You are over reactive and since you haven't addressed any of my questions I assume you are ignorant and just ranting. Everything you said is based on feelings not fact. Why not do a study of the effects of thirst on voting?

by Anonymousreply 361April 9, 2021 3:11 AM

R359, I'm not R358, but:

I'm a Black American.

My family is from Alabama.

To watch a group of so-called public servants in the year 2021, reconstitute the filth which my parents and grandparent marched and boycotted and prayed to have removed is infuriating to say the least, Each response I have addressed to you has sent me into a rage. You may think it's about water or some abstract notion of winning an electoral pissing match, but stealing authority to run the election cuts to the core of enfranchisement of over 40 million Americans who carry the legacy of being disrespected. You refuse to address that because you can't. You can only be snide about water and regurgitate digs at the legitimately elected President of The United States. Your quips about the toilet seat and peanut butter may seem cleaver to you, but, as I said in R293--which you comically dismissed by skimming the key phrases without absorbing any of the content--at the heart of the matter here is a group of bullies refusing to accept their loss of power.

Good luck to you.

Good luck with your rage, your dogmatic opinionatedness and your broken moral core.

Good. Luck.

by Anonymousreply 362April 9, 2021 3:15 AM

R362 How do you feel about the 6,740 unaccompanied minors being detained at the border? Do they have adequate food, shelter, water to drink and shower in. Are their physical and psychological needs being met? Unlike voters who are adults and can fend for themselves these are children many of whom don't speak English. You have such high morals and concern this must be keeping you up at night!

by Anonymousreply 363April 9, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote]Then he pulls up a map of the area’s voting precincts and points to Houston’s dense, racially diverse urban core, saying the party specifically needed volunteers with “the confidence and courage to come down here,” adding, “this is where the fraud is occurring.”

The media keeps repeating, correctly, that there is no "widespread" election fraud. However, that's a strawman, because everyone agrees that there is no "widespread" election fraud. The people who believe that election fraud exists always point out that its localized. If you want to swing an election, do it in places with the most votes, to have the biggest bang and to be able to better hide any shenanigans within the large volume of votes.

by Anonymousreply 364April 9, 2021 3:52 AM

A fucking idiot not worth acknowledging least of all arguing with.

Let's be clear, "they" hate America and the democratic process.

by Anonymousreply 365April 9, 2021 4:12 AM

R363, that response was such a cop-out. You didn't have the guts to specifically address R362, so you said "look over there". What exactly do migrants have to do with what Kemp did by suddenly stripping the SoS of their responsibilities? What do migrants have to do with making a law which states your county's votes won't count based on the whim of a minority? You keep using migration as a deflection as if one has to do with the other; it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 366April 9, 2021 4:20 AM

R366 Since you get your moral panties in a wad over the ability for adult voters to be given water while waiting on line to to vote it seemed natural that you would be concerned with a true humanitarian crisis. It has to do with you and your concerns especially since you think white southerners are trash and this is happening at out southern border and the potential for abuse is there. And were all Americans aren't we? Get a good nights rest.

by Anonymousreply 367April 9, 2021 4:35 AM

R367? Again, one has nothing to do with the other and as I pointed out the first time you mentioned it: You don't care about the migrants. You use it as a cudgel. It's a red herring to deflect from your defense of Southern white Republican trash ideology where even other Republicans know how fucking racist all of them are because it was Karl Rove who knew to use John McCain's "black child" to win them over for Dubya.

You're defending something despicable. That someone as stupid and odious as Trump is hugely popular down there says nothing good about southern Republicans. Absolute troglodytes and everyone knows it.

by Anonymousreply 368April 9, 2021 4:48 AM

*Posting about a local primary from Slovenia*

by Anonymousreply 369April 9, 2021 4:57 AM

R368 You care about getting people to admit they're wrong and your right. I did answer what you repeatedly asked: Why this was done in the first place? With increasing numbers of people voting early or by mail in or absentee ballots the potential for voter fraud is greater. The change regarding ID affects those people who DON'T vote in-person. And Granny, 'cop=out'?

by Anonymousreply 370April 9, 2021 5:18 AM

Let's hear it for Kentucky Fried Communism!

by Anonymousreply 371April 9, 2021 5:34 AM

I don't want to make a link to this deplorable website, but there's no other way to prove how deep and wide the depravity is with the Repigs.

The free food comment exemplifies their brazen hypocrisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372April 9, 2021 6:04 AM

[quote] JET BLUE is now on the boycott list along with Delta airlines.

Yet racist CNN keeps its headquarters in Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 373April 9, 2021 6:04 AM

[quote] And I don't see the relatively small act of providing water as a massive insult,

I’ll ask again, why, then, did they find it necessary to codify it?

I know, I know, “Look at that shiny over there!”

by Anonymousreply 374April 9, 2021 11:34 AM

[quote] Two Saturday mornings a month, I would help the ministry’s poor or homeless clients navigate the bureaucracy of acquiring government identification. For most people, replacing a lost driver’s license or other ID is an inconvenience but not an ordeal. For Foundry’s clients, however, the path to an ID is more like a high-stakes test of endurance and resourcefulness.

[quote] Brown, 61, a former receptionist, had taken three buses from Northeast Washington to the church at 16th and P streets NW, but it was clear she had been on a longer journey. After her mother’s death in April 2014, Brown lost the apartment they had shared. She returned from the grocery store one day to find her belongings on the sidewalk. She had been evicted.

[quote] “I tried to ... salvage what I could, but I was by myself,” she said. Her Social Security card and birth certificate were among the things lost that day. Since then, she had been floating from couch to couch among acquaintances, paying her hosts what she could and trying not to overstay her welcome. When I asked about her current housing, she said only, “It’s not a good situation.”

[quote] Brown had spent a month visiting D.C. government agencies, looking for guidance on how to regain her identification without success. A nonprofit steered her to Foundry, where she hoped to secure the trinity of documents she needed: her birth certificate, a Social Security card and a valid, government-issued photo ID. Like many of the other people who visit Foundry, she was, by the time she arrived, frustrated and desperate.

[quote] Washington isn’t the only place where acquiring identification can be difficult. As of 2006, according to New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice, up to 11 percent of U.S. adults had no government-provided photo ID. Since then, federal requirements for IDs have grown tougher, contributing to a loop that can help keep people trapped in poverty. For poor Americans, IDs are a lifeline — a key to unlocking services and opportunities, from housing to jobs to education. And in states with strict voter ID laws, the lack of an ID can hinder voting. “This is a huge issue for people who are homeless and poor in general,” says Maria Foscarinis, executive director of the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty. “Without an ID, basically you don’t exist.”

[quote] Each month, Foundry assists about 130 people...

[quote] Families with infants come in, and so do couples who need IDs to get married. Last year, 66 mothers sought help for themselves and, in total, 90 children. Without a way to prove kinship, parents can’t enroll their kids in child care or school, or apply for housing, nutrition assistance or health care. Some fear, wrongly, that they will be arrested on the street without proper identification.

[quote] While working on this article, I interviewed dozens of people trying to get their nondriver ID, or “walking ID,” as many call it. The poor and marginalized can easily disappear, and they often do. Phones get disconnected; people move unexpectedly, leaving no forwarding address, or they become homeless altogether; often, they’re swallowed up by the criminal justice system.

[quote] Paying for child care or public transportation, or taking time off from an hourly wage job, can prolong the process or stop it altogether. Roberts wants more coordination among city offices and notes, as an example, Virginia’s practice of including birth certificate services at its DMV locations. “At this point, you’re getting your identity verified at three, maybe four different places, one of which is a doctor’s office,” he says. “How in the hell is a doctor supposed to know?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 9, 2021 3:28 PM

R374 Granny, since you want to show the world that you can use a word like "codify" try adding the word "electioneering" to your vocabulary. You type thirsty. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 376April 9, 2021 4:57 PM

So the governor can just throw out legal votes if he wants to?

by Anonymousreply 377April 9, 2021 4:58 PM

R377 Ask the governor.

by Anonymousreply 378April 9, 2021 5:03 PM

The governor can't, R377, but the governor's handpicked stooges can.

"The State Election Board also gained the power to temporarily suspend county or municipal election "superintendents." In Georgia, the county boards of elections, and sometimes probate judges, are the "superintendents." This means the board could suspend the people responsible for certifying election results and transfer all of their legal responsibilities, including decisions over election personnel, to a temporary replacement."

by Anonymousreply 379April 9, 2021 6:08 PM

R379 What are you going on about? And why?

by Anonymousreply 380April 9, 2021 6:53 PM

Missouri.

Also of note: on Tuesday Tishaura Jones was elected St Louis’s first black female mayor

[quote] The Rev. Darryl Gray, a coalition member, sees the GOP effort as a direct response to recent Democratic success at the polls, with the help of Black and brown voters.

[quote] "It is deliberate. It is strategic. And it's all about securing and maintaining political power," he said, before leading the crowd of about 30 activists in a chant. "No more Jim Crow! No more Jim Crow!" they shouted before entering the Capitol.

[quote] Inside, the partisan split was on clear display. Democrats were the ones wearing masks; Republicans did not. And while the protesters were outside chanting, Republicans were hearing from gun rights activists in the Rotunda. They included Patricia and Mark McCloskey, the armed St. Louis couple who were criminally charged after they confronted Black Lives Matter protesters outside their home last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381April 9, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] Granny, since you want to show the world that you can use a word like "codify" try adding the word "electioneering" to your vocabulary.

Dodged the question again I see.

by Anonymousreply 382April 9, 2021 7:30 PM

R382 You argument has dwindled down to water. You're like a leaky faucet . . .drip . . .drip . . .drip

by Anonymousreply 383April 9, 2021 7:39 PM

You need i.d to vote, fly, et al.

by Anonymousreply 384April 9, 2021 7:45 PM

R383, yup, just as I thought...look over there!

by Anonymousreply 385April 9, 2021 7:50 PM

To reiterate, R384:

1) flying is a not a protected constitutional right

2) You can fly with a military id (or a passport)

by Anonymousreply 386April 9, 2021 7:59 PM

R386 drip . . . drip . . .dribble!

by Anonymousreply 387April 9, 2021 8:30 PM

Thank you, R150, for the info. It's even worse than I'd thought.

by Anonymousreply 388April 9, 2021 9:13 PM

How do people without proof of citizenship or IDs get stimulus checks, unemployment, welfare, vaccines, Medicare and social security?

by Anonymousreply 389April 9, 2021 11:49 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 10, 2021 12:06 AM

R389 I don't know. I know the website ID.me asks dozens of security questions and instructs recipients to take picture and video selfies, etc. It's amazing that we have such state of the art technology that can literally match peoples faces to their drivers license photo, yet we don't use even the most basic security measures for voting.

by Anonymousreply 391April 10, 2021 12:27 AM

R385 No! don't look at the thousands of undocumented migrants and unaccompanied children crossing our borders without masks and not social distancing, worry about the people who will be on line to vote in Georgia who won' be allowed to get bottled water come Election Day. Stop worrying about today and think of tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 392April 11, 2021 12:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393April 11, 2021 12:25 AM

R393 The border crisis is a viable, filmable fact. The rest is opinion. conjecture and supposition. Any proof to Russian interference in out elections? Try dealing with an ongoing reality. Kamala Harris hasn't had a press conference in 17 days since that old coot in the White House put her in charge of the border.

by Anonymousreply 394April 11, 2021 12:34 AM

Kamala Harris hasn't had a press conference in 17 days. Talk about a deafening silence!!

by Anonymousreply 395April 11, 2021 12:39 AM

GQP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396April 11, 2021 12:42 AM

R396 Political cartoons are nice but they're not facts.

by Anonymousreply 397April 11, 2021 12:44 AM

Boris, shoo from DL r397 r394.

by Anonymousreply 398April 11, 2021 12:47 AM

Russian trolls

by Anonymousreply 399April 11, 2021 12:48 AM

R398 R399 Anti democratic.

by Anonymousreply 400April 11, 2021 12:50 AM

Let's get rid of dissenting voices.

by Anonymousreply 401April 11, 2021 12:53 AM

Facts are stupid things

by Anonymousreply 402April 11, 2021 1:06 AM

We need to seriously start the process of dismantling all of these white trash southern hick states altogether.

by Anonymousreply 403April 11, 2021 1:10 AM

R403 Any real ideas?

by Anonymousreply 404April 11, 2021 1:13 AM

R403 Do you always blame you unhappiness, failure on groups of people and feel your life would improve if something could be done about them. I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 405April 11, 2021 1:34 AM

More than 100 corporate executives hold call to discuss halting donations and investments to fight controversial voting bills

[quote] Executives from major airlines, retailers and manufacturers — plus at least one NFL owner — talked about potential ways to show they opposed the legislation, including by halting donations to politicians who support the bills and even delaying investments in states that pass the restrictive measures, according to four people who were on the call, including one of the organizers, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, a Yale management professor.

[quote] While no final steps were agreed upon, the meeting represents an aggressive dialing up of corporate America’s stand against controversial voting measures nationwide, a sign that their opposition to the laws didn’t end with the fight against the Georgia legislation passed in March.

[quote] Now, it is voting rights. Many of the corporate leaders who joined the call seemed to view the voting restrictions as attacks on democracy, rather than as a partisan issue, according to people who listened in.

[quote] Mike Ward, cofounder of the Civic Alliance, a nonpartisan group of businesses focused on voter engagement, said he felt there was a broad consensus at the end of the call that company leaders plan to continue working against voting bills they think are restrictive — “to lean into this, not lean away from this.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406April 12, 2021 12:45 AM

I read that earlier R406, thought it was quite a rebuff of Republicans/Trump in general, and Mitch McConnell specifically.

by Anonymousreply 407April 12, 2021 12:50 AM

TexASS, again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 12, 2021 1:39 AM

Wasn't Georgia the place where they set the signature scanning software to approve ballots with signatures that matched only 10% with the one on file for mail ins?

by Anonymousreply 409April 12, 2021 1:47 AM

Corporations should stay out of politics.

(Except for the donations, of course!)

by Anonymousreply 410April 12, 2021 10:28 AM

R403 projecting troll trying to trigger social media racism.

by Anonymousreply 411April 12, 2021 2:09 PM

Democrats siding with multimillion dollar corporations and fighting against free speech, while the Republican base become anti establishment and revolt against their own party is something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 412April 12, 2021 3:16 PM

That’s because freedumb of speech only creates more Rethugs. And what’s worse, many of them are racist transphobic cisf@gg0ts like you, R413.

by Anonymousreply 413April 12, 2021 4:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414April 12, 2021 4:31 PM

R414 Hopefully they'll still be able to afford a bottle of water to drink while they are waiting on line to vote!

by Anonymousreply 415April 12, 2021 10:11 PM

A group of major law firms formed a coalition “to challenge voter suppression legislation.”

[quote] And a film starring Will Smith and financed by Apple pulled its production out of Georgia on Monday in protest of the state’s new voting law, a warning shot to other legislatures.

[quote] “Corporations are always reticent to get engaged in partisan battling,” said Richard A. Gephardt, a Democrat and former House majority leader who is in conversation with corporate leaders about their responses. “But this is about whether we’re going to protect the democracy. If you lose the democracy, you lose capitalism.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416April 13, 2021 12:59 PM

No way . . . Diet Coke is all I drink.

by Anonymousreply 417April 13, 2021 1:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418April 14, 2021 9:23 AM

R414 Will Smith can do what he wants as long as he doesn't make any more movies that subject audiences to those hideous. freaks he and Jaded produced.

by Anonymousreply 419April 17, 2021 1:44 AM

And Minnesota will take away your student financial aid if you protest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420April 20, 2021 12:28 AM

Stacey dogwalks Senator Kennedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421April 21, 2021 5:06 PM

It's fantastic to see all the racist cunts being given red tags today.

Nice work webmaster and a long time coming. More red tags please!

by Anonymousreply 422April 21, 2021 5:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423April 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Mail in ballots so EZ. From the comfort of your home and no worries about getting food or water or lines. Drop in a mailbox in your neighborhood or make a trip to the post office.

by Anonymousreply 424July 7, 2021 6:36 PM

Things go better with Mail In ballots.

by Anonymousreply 425July 8, 2021 3:59 PM

Did the activists achieve anything beyond losing jobs for the people they were trying to help?

by Anonymousreply 426July 9, 2021 6:18 PM

Requiring a form of ID is racist?

by Anonymousreply 427July 20, 2021 12:09 AM

R224 Try Robert Wise's Audrey Rose (1977) instead.

by Anonymousreply 428July 22, 2021 8:53 PM

Were Joe and Jill invited to Obama's birthday celebration?

by Anonymousreply 429August 9, 2021 9:05 PM

Found the fraud!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430August 10, 2021 1:47 PM

Thanks to Joe's double fuck up, terrorists can now exploit the migrant surge and enter the US at the Southern border.

by Anonymousreply 431August 17, 2021 5:27 PM

R18 She went to El Paso once in June but she didn't go to Del Rio the most current Biden Administration fail. Where was the border Czar during the most recent crisis?

by Anonymousreply 432September 28, 2021 12:09 AM

R431 Thanks Uncle Joe!

by Anonymousreply 433September 28, 2021 12:13 AM

What happened to the Hollywood Georgia boycotting?

by Anonymousreply 434September 28, 2021 1:15 AM

R434 More to the point did the cries of racism, threats of boycotts and concerns of the availability of water for those on line to vote have any effect? Georgia passed a new voting law SB 202 which will require those who use mail-in-absentee voting to have ID. And though food and drink distribution to voters in line by non-poll workers is banned the law provides an exception to allow poll workers to set up "self-service water" so people in line can stay hydrated. I suspect the over reactive SJWs quietly moved on.

by Anonymousreply 435September 29, 2021 3:42 AM

R50 how do you get social security, medicare, unemployment benefits, stimulus checks, and at least initially get vaccinated without some form of ID? People started lining up at 4am at motor vehicle agency's during the pandemic to renew licenses at the height of the pandemic in the spring of 2020. Do those who've lived without ID even interested in voting?

by Anonymousreply 436November 8, 2021 3:56 AM

Thursday I got my Covid booster shot. In addition to initialing and signing the forms I had to present my prior shots card AND my ID. My human rights suffered more than my arm.

Weep for me Georgia activists

by Anonymousreply 437November 8, 2021 4:06 AM

and people in NYC have to show proof of vaccination and accompanying ID to enter restaurants, clubs and Broadway theaters.

by Anonymousreply 438November 8, 2021 4:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!