Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

REPORT: X-Men Reboot 'The Mutants' in Development at Marvel Studios

If Marvel wants to do this right this time, the first film of the reboot should focus exclusively on the original five X-Men. The second film should be an adaptation of Giant-Size X-Men #1, properly introducing the “second genesis” of the new X-Men. They can also do a solo film for Wolverine based on and titled Weapon X. Finally, they need to do a proper adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga, remaining as close to the design and writing of that masterpiece as possible. In fact, I would go retro with X-Men and maintain the most iconic iterations of the characters, which were from the 1970s through the 1990s. They can then move into Jonathan Hickman’s brilliant new reboot. Of course, they can also start with Hickman’s version, adapting House of X and Powers of X, but I would prefer the aforementioned buildup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 23, 2022 8:22 AM

Vanessa Kirby for Emma Frost.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2021 11:51 PM

R1 Emma wouldn’t appear until the DP Saga and only as a supporting character.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2021 11:57 PM

Can't stand wanda stans claiming her more powerful than jean, hope jean incinerate wanda and her puny powers when she debuts in the mcu. Hope she kills the entire avengers roster too. Who needs avengers anyway when x men are the superior group in marvel.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote] claiming her more powerful

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2021 12:22 AM

I fucking hate Emma Frost. I liked her when she was Headmistress of the Generation X school with Jubilee and Husk and M, but she's soooo tired with her lame "diamond shifting" power and her stupid white/gray lipstick. She should fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2021 12:26 AM

:scans and waits:

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2021 12:30 AM

Will Bryan Singer be directing again?.....I assume Elliot Page will sign up if so---Elliot loves working with her friend, no matter how many REAL males accuse BS...She also said she felt sorry for BS for what he was "going thru" when accusers came forward....Such "compassion"...

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2021 12:33 AM

Jean would only be able to take on Wanda if she was the Phoenix, but any other time and Wanda would wipe her out.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2021 12:44 AM

Jean is an Omega Level mutant and that’s [italic]without[/italic] Phoenix’s help. She could easily snap the coattail turncoat’s - Wanda is only popular because of the films and is a traitor, after all - feeble little mind like a brittle twig before her first hex or reality warp or whatever magic show she does.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2021 12:50 AM

Didn't Marvel rewrite Wanda so that she's not actually a mutant, but the result of the High Evolutionary altering both her and her brother?

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2021 1:09 AM

In media res is the only appropriate adaptation. X and his school, with dozens of students and a core of X-men.

The first episodes should show him in a summit hosted by the Hellfire Club leaders, with Apocalypse, Mystique, Callisto, and a representative of a missing Magneto, working together (even if antagonistic) to stop persecution.

Let it grow organically.

I would be happy with a season that slowly unfolded as they compete with Emma for Kitty, and her first meeting with Jean triggering “Days of Future Past”, setting up past and future.

End the season with Warren losing his wings, Hank being so severely injured that Sage risks her undercover status to save him by triggering his beast form, X paralyzed, a young Rogue permanently imbued with powers from Mimic, and the quartet of Bishop, Shard, Rachel and Fitzroy transported from DoFP to the present day.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2021 1:10 AM

r10

yep and made MAgneto not her father

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2021 1:10 AM

R11 What is “res”?

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2021 1:19 AM

R13

Setting it in the middle of the action.

Media - middle.

Mediterranean means “middle of the terrain” AKA earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2021 2:10 AM

R14 You missed the “s,” but thank you for explaining, love!

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2021 2:12 AM

Fuck that ginger hussy Wanda.

She has no place in the X-men mythos. Her sociopathic, abusive, obsessive brother is no better.

(Ginger ≠ Jean. Jean is more of a rusty brunette.)

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2021 2:13 AM

R15

Consider the “depth” of education today. An honest question deserves a concise and honest answer.

Sarcasm requires Fonts!

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2021 2:18 AM

R17 Muriel will not have that revealed.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2021 2:19 AM

Magneto wasn't the Scarlet Witch's father to begin with, so they've just retconned the retcon. She was always a mutant though, recognised as such by Magneto, Prof X, the Sentinels..

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2021 1:06 PM

r19

well she had at least 3 dads

1. Django

2. The Whizzer

3. Magneto

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2021 2:40 PM

Some deep cuts in that image. What's with baby Havok?

by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Jean Grey is Omega level in her Telepathy but not her Telekinesis and as far as the Phoenix force it has determined that Jean Grey is its perfect host.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2021 3:31 PM

R22 She’s it’s perfect host because she has the potentiality to withstand and match its unrestrained power. Also, Hickman has, perhaps temporarily, classified her as an Omega Level telepath, but her telekinesis has always been unmatched as well. She was even able to shield Cyclops from one of Black Bolt’s blasts, which can crack a planet in half.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2021 3:44 PM

R5

How DARE you talk about my favorite X-Man like that!

Emma, take it from here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2021 3:58 PM

r23

always unmatched? She barely used to be able to move a book but it has definitely increased starting with Claremont.... to be fair I've always assumed her lower power set was a Stan Lee thing with the women always being weaker

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2021 4:04 PM

R25 True, 😂 I meant the height of her telekinetic power is unmatched. She had to start somewhere, though!

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2021 4:22 PM

After 2 bad DP movies, I dont think Jean s gonna be front and center. They will go for Storm and Emma as female leading ladies. Joss Whedon Astonishing era as the line up.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2021 4:36 PM

R27 That makes the most sense, apparently prior to the whole Whedon/Charisma thing he was meeting with Feige about directing the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2021 4:39 PM

I’m so tired of Jean. Give us more Emma, Storm, Dazzler, Psylocke, Polaris.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2021 4:47 PM

They’re really going all-out on the X-Books, too. Disney buying out Fox was a great thing for mutants (though Disney was guilty of sabotaging them as well when Fox owned them).

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2021 4:58 PM

R27 Jean was never front and center, though, and they’ve picked the worst actresses for her.

As I wrote in op, they need to start the reboot with the original five members. That’s what Marvel got right with the Avengers: they were extremely faithful, with some variation, of course, to the origins of the individual members and team as a whole.

Focusing on characters like Emma, Psylocke, and Dazzler too soon is a mistake. They are not core X-Men. Although they eventually became popular to some degree, it was long after the mythos of the team had been established.

Storm should receive a proper introduction and extensive focus in the second film, which, again, should be an adaptation of Giant-Size X-Men #1. After the first two films, they can go to town introducing members.

They’ve already made X-Men films focusing on the most popular characters and rearranging the mythos as they saw fit. For this putting, if they want it to be new and successful, they need to remain more faithful to the source material and not stray further away from it.

Eventually, they should work toward Hickman’s reboot, which is excellent, especially the House of X and Powers of X, both which I can visualize being adapted.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2021 5:11 PM

putting = *outting

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2021 5:13 PM

Emma is incredibly prominent in the comics right now. She is a core character. Waiting to bring her in is a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2021 5:28 PM

R33 Again, they’ve already done the whole “let’s focus on who is popular now” to middling success. Besides, Emma isn’t really all that popular.

They need to focus on pleasing the hardcore long-term fans. If they do this, the fans will make sure to spread the word, generate excitement, and bring laymen into the fold.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2021 5:33 PM

Cyclops always seems to have a large bulge.

by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2021 5:38 PM

Yeah Disney really played to the hardcore fans with WandaVision and introducing Mephisto, Magneto, recast Quicksilver and calling Wanda a mutant... oh wait. Disney will do what they need to do, Jean and the Phoenix saga has been soured by Fox and Emma is a strong, female character compared to Jean's quieter more introverted character. I expect Emma, Storm, Rogue, Kitty and Psylocke to play big roles in the MCU.

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2021 5:55 PM

As long as we aren’t burdened with a Wolverine jerk fest like Singer foisted on us. My goodness he’s interesting but not that damn interesting. Could they not have done a side movie on Storm or he 100s of other characters? Since when is Wolverine the center of the X-Men universe?

by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2021 6:03 PM

R34

The only reason she isn’t as popular is because she hasn’t had the mainstream exposure of other characters. The MCU will change that. She will be a fan favorite.

If she isn’t popular, why are the comics literally doing a whole Hellfire Gala, with Emma front and center? Why has she become one of the biggest leaders of the mutants, along with Magneto and Professor X?

You really underestimate her.

And, besides, the Avengers in the MCU were not the original Avengers in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2021 6:03 PM

R7 probably defends Armie Hammer

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2021 6:04 PM

Do we need a million "reboots" for all superheroes? Enough.

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2021 6:05 PM

r38

True about the MCU Avengers not being the founders of the comics but Hulk, Thor, Iron man (plus CAP came 4 issues in) were pretty close... I do wish they introduced Hank and Janet earlier so they could have been in it

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2021 6:10 PM

If they're going to do it, which they obviously are, the most important this to do is NOT try to recreate the previous movies.

The Marvel movies all have a particular look and feel which are different than the older X-men movies.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] Yeah Disney really played to the hardcore fans with WandaVision and introducing Mephisto, Magneto, recast Quicksilver and calling Wanda a mutant...

Um, all of these characters go back to the 60s and are part of core mythological fabric of the X-Men and Avengers. Emma is a side character in a Jean Grey story.

Besides, Disney was able to do what they did with WandaVision because they had already properly established the Avengers mythos with the film.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2021 6:14 PM

*with the films

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2021 6:14 PM

Remember when Disney tried to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans? Lmao

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2021 6:35 PM

r45

They weren't bad on Shield but horrendous on their own show

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2021 6:37 PM

R42 I agree. The Marvel movies did not shy away from recreating the characters’ costumes as they were in their most iconic iterations in the comics. Of course, they modernized and streamlined them a bit, but they didn’t put everyone in black.

One thing I liked about the second trilogy of X-amen films is that they started dressing the characters more colorfully and giving more overt nods to the comics.

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2021 6:43 PM

I just had a flash of an idea that played before my mind’s eyes like trailers to a series of films.

[bold]X-Men: First Genesis[/bold]

In the grips of Krakoa, a living island that has gained sentience due to atomic bomb testing, the five original X-Men - Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast - battle for their lives while recalling their early years as a team.

(This film, which would start in medias res, would be an adaptation of both the first few years of the X-Men comics and the flashback in Giant-Size X-Men #1. How the team arrived at Krakoa Island, along with their origins, early history, and battles with previous enemies - e.g., Magneto, Juggernaut, the Blob, etc. - would be captured in flashbacks. The film would end on a cliffhanger, with Cyclops escaping Krakoa and a hint at the recruitment of the newer X-Men - Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Warpath, Havok, Banshee, Sunfire and Lorna Dane, aka Polaris - to lead up to the core story in Giant-Size X-Men #1. I think this is a great way to cover the mythos of the original five while immediately connecting them with the other members.)

[bold]Solo Films[/bold]

A bunch of solo films could be introduced at this point, obviously one centered on Wolverine, but also maybe on Storm and Nightcrawler, both whom I can see carrying solo films.

[bold]X-Men: Second Genesis[/bold]

Professor X has recruited a new and eclectic team to help save the original members of the X-Men. As they battle the deadly island Krakoa, we learn about their origins and idiosyncrasies while they struggle to get to know and grow to trust one another as a team.

(The bulk of Giant-Size X-Men #1, which would make a great adaptation, would be covered here. It would be an easy way to properly introduce characters that have not already appeared in solo films [see above], instead of reducing them to quick, often inaccurate, cameos. Also, I think it is essential that they not modernize anything - the costumes, the timeframes, etc. I say, go retro and keep all of the costumes as accurate as possible [think of how brilliantly they did this with Watchmen]. Integral to the success of these reboots will be being able to recognize and refer to these characters’ iterations in comics from years - even decades - past. Their ability to remain young will be, in part, attributed to Krakoa, and also adapted from Jonathan Hickman’s work.)

[bold]Other Storylines[/bold]

They can either jump off into other storylines they’ve already attempted, such as the Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of the Future Past, or a number of others, but being much more faithful to the comics, or they can jump right into John Hickman’s reboot, adapting:

[bold]House of X[/bold] and [bold]Powers of X[/bold]

Mutants from all over the world accept Professor Charles Xaviers’ invitation to a new life and a new home in the island of KRAKOA.

It dawned on me that they should use Krakoa as the throughline connecting all the eras of the X-Men. It is in these films that they can go to town introducing as many characters in as many cameos as they’d like. I think I would probably nix the “other storylines” idea - or do them as separate films (think Guardians of the Galaxy) and not sequels - and just jump right into adapting House of X and Powers of X.

:Phew: I can’t believe I wrote all of this out, lol.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]Didn't Marvel rewrite Wanda so that she's not actually a mutant, but the result of the High Evolutionary altering both her and her brother?

But the MCU Wanda apparently already had latent abilities (according to WandaVision) and the mind stone enhanced them in her and Pietro.

So technically in the MCU she could still be a mutant.

[quote]The only reason she isn’t as popular is because she hasn’t had the mainstream exposure of other characters. The MCU will change that. She will be a fan favorite.

They did it with Guardians of the Galaxy so I'm sure they'll do it with Emma here too.

[quote]always unmatched? She barely used to be able to move a book but it has definitely increased starting with Claremont.... to be fair I've always assumed her lower power set was a Stan Lee thing with the women always being weaker

Jean as Phoenix could destroy and entire star system without breaking a sweat ... and Wanda can erase reality entirely.

MCU Wanda has been established, with WandaVision through dialogue, as more powerful than Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel. She is the most powerful human in the MCU as of now.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2021 9:24 PM

Below is a great discussion about the two, R49, in which some posters back up your claim, though they admit to preferring Jean, while others dismiss it.

[quote]Jean was revived some hundred years into the future in a post apocalyptic timeline where a sentient virus called Sublime wiped out much of the world’s population. Jean, as the White Phoenix, not only retconned this apocalyptic timeline, she also absorbed it into the White Hot Room. Outside of time and space, Jean stood among countless other Phoenix Avatars (possibly from different dimensions), and held the Earth 616 universe in the palm of her hands. The entire universe. She then healed her universe and changed the timeline completely simply by willing it.

[quote] So, when it comes to the Phoenix-empowered Jean Grey, Jean ends up being infinitely more powerful than Scarlet Witch. Connecting to the Life Force was too much for Scarlet Witch. It not only drove her insane, but it also prevented her from fully controlling her reality warping abilities. It is very much the same case with Jean. The Phoenix Force is an impossibly strong cosmic entity. However, when it comes down to it, even if Jean loses control, she is still of two minds—hers and the Phoenix. Thus, Jean is still competent with her Phoenix abilities even when her mental stability is at its worse. Add to the fact that Jean can travel back and forth through time on a whim, and manipulate reality with less side effects than Scarlet Witch.

The problem is, as many times before, Jean is currently stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rock: Due to the popularity of the Avengers films, many people have noted - and it is obvious - that they are trying to turn Scarlet Witch into the next Jean/Phoenix. Just look at WandaVision, which borrowed swathes from the Dark Phoenix Saga. (However, I don’t have much confidence that this will hold any weight in the X-Men mythos.)

The hard place: The X-Men comics are currently in the middle of a shift started and led by Hickman’s brilliant reboot, which, outside of classifying her as an Omega Level telepath (more powerful than Xavier, btw), has pretty much remained mum about the rest of her capabilities.

Even still, as an unrivaled - and maybe even the most powerful - telepath, Jean really does not need anything else to stop and destroy a foe, no matter how powerful and deadly they may be. Her prescience allows her to see a thought, never mind an attack, before it even happens, giving her the advantage of being able to shutdown an opponent before [italic]they[/italic] even consciously know what that they are going to do.

At present, Scarlet Witch’s magic may overpower Jean’s telekinesis - though not necessarily if Hickman reveals that Jean is also an Omega Level telekinetic, too - but she’s still no match for Jean’s telepathy. Wanda literally cannot think faster than Jean, and that would be her downfall. In fact, Jean could easily shut down the part of Wanda’s mind that uses her power, literally making her forget how to do so or, even, that she has any powers at all. After all, Wanda needs to use her mind to use her powers.

[quote][Jean] is known as the first female cosmic hero as well as the sole female member (Omega level mutant) of the original X-Men. When transformed into Phoenix, Jean's powers escalate to a considerably higher level, allowing her to rearrange or disintegrate matter at a subatomic level, fly unaided through space, survive in any environment (even the core of a star), and manipulate electromagnetic and cosmic energies for various effects and atmospheric disturbances. She has the ability to "re-born" again, so she is sort of immortal...

My money is on Jean - and that’s while only taking into consideration her Omega Level telepathy and [italic]without[/italic] the help of the Phoenix force. With it, however, [italic]fuggedaboutit[/italic]..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2021 11:35 PM

Clarification: The discussion I mentioned and quoted from is in the Quora link above.

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2021 11:37 PM

There is no place for puritans in the MCU.

Where is the diversity in the O5 & X vs Mags?

Movies are out of the question. The Avengers have a relatively small cast. The X-Men is far more diverse and interesting. You need “Big TV” that focuses on the shifting relationships and alliances, with their powers often proving to be burdens.

Change the ages to meet experience. Bring in characters like Gambit and Rogue slowly.

Just make it fun.

by Anonymousreply 52March 23, 2021 3:32 AM

If you are referring to me, I would hardly call myself a puritan - I embrace and love all iterations, past and present, of my favorite superhero team - but the studio and film creators that were already had their way, completely transmogrifying the mythos of the X-Men to cater to what was popular and perceived to be best back then, and, at most, to middling success. The good news is that, as the saying goes, everything old is new again.

The X-Men film reboot is happening, so a television series, at least right now, is out of the question. Much like they did with The Avengers, Marvel needs to go back to the roots of this team with reverence and nostalgia, and develop it with one foot immersed in the past, the other firmly planted in the present, and eyes intently set on the future. A film focused on the original five members, like the one I a gave a very short synopsis of above (“X-Men: First Genesis”), would get hardcore fans excited, which, in turn, would lead to excitement generating and percolating across the board. It would also generate interest in the entire X-Men mythos and not just what is or was in fashion now or twenty years ago. Finally, it would be a bold move on Marvel’s part and one that, if done right, would be welcomed by many, and could be extremely successful.

As for the diversity of the original five members - there is none; they are all white. (That did not stop them remaining pretty faithful to The Avengers, did it?) However, they could incorporate the civil rights movement into the first film - which was on Stan Lee’s mind when he created the team - especially since the first five core members were most active together during that period. It could be a thread that runs throughout the whole film. An adept writer would be able to weave the racial discord and inequality of the 1960s through the story in a subtle but effective manner. As I envisioned it, the first film (“X-Men: Genesis”) would be set in the 1970s, with flashbacks to the 1960s. The 1970s would cover the team being dispatched to investigate Krakoa, while flashbacks would cleverly take us through their lives prior to and after becoming X-Men. These segments could include references to the racism of that time, which would be extremely relevant to Xavier’s plight.

(It is at this point that I would consider doing solo films for characters like Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler, before introducing them in the next film.)

The second film (“X-Men: Second Genesis”), also set in the 1970s, would effortlessly and faithfully introduce all of the diversity anyone could want, considering that it would continue with adapting Giant-Size X-Men #1 - with one slight variation: Beast would still be a part of the team (he had left) and Havok and Polaris would be new recruits (they were established members by then) brought on board to help save the original X-Men who remained on Krakoa after Cyclops was able to escape. The remainder of the story would stay the same and the new recruits would also include, as originally written, mutants from across the world: Storm (African), Nightcrawler (German), Colossus (Russian), Sunspot (Japanese), Warpath (Native American), Banshee (Irish), and, of course, Wolverine (Canadian). That is a lot of diversity, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 53March 23, 2021 6:57 AM

cont’d.

What Jonathan Hickman has recently done with the X-Men, incorporating Krakoa and making it their current homebase, is brilliant, especially since Krakoa is what led to the introduction of some of the team’s most iconic members. “X-Men: Third Genesis” - of course, these aren’t meant to be official titles - would be an adaptation of Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X and would be set in the present. Either new actors could be hired to play the aforementioned members a bit older or, taking a page from Hickman’s work and reworking it a bit, the same actors could be used, and we would learn that the all of the team members exposed to Krakoa have had their aging slowed down. They are not immortal - though Hickman’s work certainly introduces the possibility (I won’t ruin it for those of you who haven’t read the storyline mentioned above) - but they do not age as ordinary humans do, hence how they’ve remained pretty much as they were in the 1970s.

The rest of the Hickman’s reboot could remain the same because it does a great job of tying X-Men’s vast mythos together and would make an excellent film or series of films in which other members like Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Jubilee, Emma Frost - and the list goes on and on - could be introduced. Perhaps before “X-Men: Third Genesis,” they could do another series of films focusing on characters like Rogue, Gambit, and Psylocke, all characters whose rich histories I could see carrying solo films, too.

What I envision for this reboot could be so epic and thrilling while remaining faithful to the comic books, but, alas, I am tempering my excitement. I have been disappointed with the films too many times already, though I have enjoyed them for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 54March 23, 2021 6:58 AM

R50, this is surely a completely pointless argument? If a writer wants to say Wanda's chaos magic makes her resistant to Jean's telepathy, this is what happens. If s/he wants to say Jean is also an omega telekinetic, that happens. Nothing is absolute or set until the story exists.

by Anonymousreply 55March 23, 2021 9:40 AM

R55 Exactly, it's up to whoever is writing at the time. The next writer could come along and make Wanda an uber god that can destroy Jean.

by Anonymousreply 56March 23, 2021 9:43 AM

[Quote] apparently prior to the whole Whedon/Charisma thing he was meeting with Feige about directing the reboot.

CC has great timing 😆

by Anonymousreply 57March 23, 2021 10:20 AM

Wow I can’t believe so many of you think another origin film where they go back in time is needed.

Newsflash. Nobody cares about the original cast of 5 white people. Are you kidding me? The XMEn was actually cancelled when it was just the original boring ass cast. And now you guys want that movie? And you want it in the past just like FOX did it?

Marvel will play this smart and there will be no origin. Individual films can capturer the whole Xavier Magneto history without reliving it.

The new team needs to have Storm and Wolverine on it from the start. Add Jean and Cyclops. And two/three other popular members (Emma, Rogue, Nightcrawler) including more minorities like Iceman, Bishop, and Kwannon/Psylocke.

Nobody cares about Angel (his only good story is him becoming the opposite of who he is) and everyone hates Beast.

So Hell no to the boring original five. Marvel isn’t that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 58March 23, 2021 12:39 PM

R58 Chiiile...

I’ll have to deal with you, point by point, later.

by Anonymousreply 59March 23, 2021 3:10 PM

R53, this is why Jean fan is so insufferable. NOBODY CARES ABOUT BORING MOM JEAN. It's 2021, there is no way marvel will put on an all white casted movie. They want Storm to lead diversity and are rushing to make it happen. They want more Cyclops focus to distinguish themselves from Fox. Since Jean is incredibly overplayed, they will most likely go for Emma as Cyke's GF. Wolverine, they will save the best for last, and put him in a later film. Rogue is definitely IN.

by Anonymousreply 60March 23, 2021 3:57 PM

The Mutants - Prof X, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler, Psylocke and Kitty Pryde. Wolverine will probably get his own Disney+ series before joining the X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 61March 23, 2021 4:03 PM

R61, change Kitty Pryde with Jubilee and I’m in. Also, by Psylocke hopefully you mean Kwannon and not Betsy.

I’d also include Forge and Cecilia as behind the scenes/ doctor role.

by Anonymousreply 62March 23, 2021 4:08 PM

I get the distinct feeling that the extent of knowledge of the X-Men of a few posters on here comes exclusively from the cartoons and Fox movies.

by Anonymousreply 63March 23, 2021 4:19 PM

R63 Well, yeah? It's almost as if most people don't read the comics.

by Anonymousreply 64March 23, 2021 4:22 PM

R64 So why should Marvel give a fuck about what they think the reboot of the X-Men should be? You see, that’s why The Avengers films and the introductory solo films that preceded it were so successful: Marvel was faithful to the comics and catered to the hardcore fans first and foremost. The rest worked itself out.

Then again, Marvel learned their lesson with the Fox X-Men films, which is what posters like R58, R60, and R61 seem to want a rehash of.

by Anonymousreply 65March 23, 2021 4:27 PM

R60 Honey, please, your Emma troll slip is showing. You’ve brought her up enough on this thread and yet no one wants to focus on that soiled-panty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 66March 23, 2021 4:34 PM

R65, are you truly having a mental breakdown because nobody wants to see the original 5? Isn’t there a KKK film you can watch instead?

by Anonymousreply 67March 23, 2021 4:38 PM

R65 Because they're the one's paying to see these movies. You talk about the Avengers as if that's the standard that Marvel have stuck to over the past 12 years, plus I'm pretty sure Black Widow wasn't on the team originally and Ant-Man and the Wasp played a role. Age of Ultron was vastly different to the comics, as was Infinity War and Endgame. Guardians of the Galaxy was the new team and not the old, judging by your urge to stick to the past and comics it would be the og team Marvel should've gone with as that's the only key to making money. Ant-Man featured the second Ant-Man, with an older Hank Pym and almost no Janet until the sequel, by which point Hope, an entirely original character, was the Wasp. Captain Marvel featured the third character take on that mantel, I think she was third, and had a gender changed Mar-Vell, who was basically that character in name only. Thor: Ragnarok destroyed almost all of the characters connections and it was the most successful Thor movie and is considered one of Marvels best. Spider-Man lives in the shadow of Stark, again very different from the comics.

You parade this line as if being a comic book fan is the only way that Marvel should listen to you, I think by your obsession of strictly adhering to the books and not realizing film is a different median, that you should be ignored. Phoenix failed under Fox, twice, Jeans character is tainted by that, she is also a largely dull character who's most interesting aspect is her powers, not a great character. Marvel will be looking for diverse and strong female leads, Wanda has the broken female part down and so they will go for the head strong ones such as Emma and Storm.

by Anonymousreply 68March 23, 2021 4:39 PM

R67 Nice try but no dice, dear.

And R68, I’ve already summarized what I would do with the reboot and it hardly can be summed up as focusing exclusively on the original five members, though that is what I would do with the first film. I also never suggested that they shouldn’t make some modifications, just that they shouldn’t change things so completely as to make it unrecognizable. My idea incorporates the entire X-Men mythos.

In fact, I’ve suggested giving characters like Storm and Nightcrawler - one an African goddess, the other a German Jesuit monk - their own solo films, which ideally would be released either concurrently or right after the first X-Men film introducing the original five. (A solo film focused on Storm excites me, especially on the scale of Black Panther.)

As for Jean being “largely dull,” that is your opinion, one quickly discredited by her mythos and the focus and attention she has received throughout the years and continues to receive to this day. Her origin story is rich and her overall trajectory as a character is both legendary and of mythical proportions- literally. The fact that she’s inspired the creation and development of lesser, more diluted characters, like Wanda and Emma speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 69March 23, 2021 4:58 PM

*concurrently with

by Anonymousreply 70March 23, 2021 4:59 PM

R69 Honey, just because you got the crab from that firecrotch, it does not mean everyone else does. Storm is strongly circulating a cloud among the MCU rumor mill; going so far as the NEW Marvel forefront to replace Black Panther. Phoenix is the only thing Jean got going for her and Fox bombed that, Feige is not going to touch that radioactive mess.

by Anonymousreply 71March 23, 2021 5:25 PM

R71 Emma, dear, your reading comprehension, amongst other things, is severely lacking. Please do not come to my defense. I have already been honored by better followers of mine on this thread.

By the way, the only things you have going for you are a blood and shit-stained thong and bodice.

by Anonymousreply 72March 23, 2021 5:43 PM

I'd give you Emma, R70, but Wanda is hardly a lesser figure in the Marvel Universe than Jean Grey. Wanda is more her Avengers equivalent, though without the two extended periods being dead

by Anonymousreply 73March 23, 2021 5:50 PM

R73 Wanda started off as a second-tier villain in the X-Men back in the 60s. I like her somewhat, though.

by Anonymousreply 74March 23, 2021 5:52 PM

Oh, come on, R76: she was created as literally Jean's opposite number in mutant terms in X-Men 4 (March 1964); a year later in 1965 she was the only active female Avenger; in the 60s Avengers was a much bigger deal, as it greatly outsold X-Men and never got cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 75March 23, 2021 6:00 PM

R75 Fair. Are you a big Wanda fan?

by Anonymousreply 76March 23, 2021 6:18 PM

I wonder if the film will have a director who will allow Ben Hardy to reaudition for his role on the casting couch rotating between spreading his legs, being on his knees or pushing his ass into the air to secure the role?

by Anonymousreply 77March 23, 2021 7:18 PM

What do you think, R76. Actually I was an original 60s-70s fan and haven't read current comics for years, but I loved those early Avengers and X-Men issues. I was devastated when X-Men was cancelled (hey, I was a kid).

by Anonymousreply 78March 23, 2021 7:24 PM

R78 That’s too cool. I’m currently making my way through the Marvel and DC back catalogues (specifically X-Men and Batman) via their respective apps; it’s been overwhelmingly great. I have been reminded of how engrossing and well-written those comics are.

by Anonymousreply 79March 23, 2021 7:32 PM

R78 P.S. I just might start The Avengers because of you.

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2021 7:35 PM

If you do, R80, the first one I owned was I think issue 14, which showcases early Wanda.

by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2021 7:41 PM

R81 You are too cute! And wow to owning that!

I might jump ahead and read that issue tonight ;)

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2021 7:48 PM

[quote]Marvel will play this smart and there will be no origin. Individual films can capturer the whole Xavier Magneto history without reliving it. The new team needs to have Storm and Wolverine on it from the start. Add Jean and Cyclops. And two/three other popular members (Emma, Rogue, Nightcrawler) including more minorities like Iceman, Bishop, and Kwannon/Psylocke.

We didn't need one for Deadpool to work. We didn't really even have on in the first X-Men movie. Wolverine joined them. They had already been together.

And I know some people here will groan about diversity but the X-Men have been traditionally diverse for years. Most of their lineups have featured, in some way, Storm and Psylocke (when she was Asian).

They should make it similar to the Days of Future Past team with Storm and Bishop. I'd rather have Jubilee (who was originally pitched as being part of that group) than Shadowcat. They made Blink Asian twice but the character is Jamaican and had afro puffs because of it, last check. If they did use her they'd have to fix that and keep her background the same.

Why no one has ever capitalized on the fact that Jubilee was the character that 90s kids who watched the animated series grew up with, I'll never know. Wolverine is a mainstay. I'd rather have Jean and Emma around from the start to set up their conflict as much as I would rather it just be Emma. The whole point of Emma's relationship with Cyclops was that she made him more interesting and disrupted his otherwise stern and straightforward manner while also actually being in love with him.

As much as I think Kwannon/Psylocke made herself a vital part of any presentation of the team, it would be hard to tell their story unless you just keep her Kwannon from the start but Kwannon herself wasn't that interesting. She was only interesting because she had Psylocke's past and connections.

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2021 8:00 PM

I do want an MCU remake of the 90s cartoon theme in a similar fashion to what they did with the spider-man theme from the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2021 8:18 PM

Characters like Bishop and Jubilee have rubbish powers, though (to this day, I don't really know what Bishop's power actually was). It was the variety of the revived X-Men's powers as much as anything that made them such a hit.

by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2021 10:27 PM

Oh, and Bishop has a stupid name. If you have a superhero called Bishop, he needs a purple cape and an atomic crook or something.

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote]Oh, and Bishop has a stupid name.

His name [bold]is[/bold] Lucas Bishop.

He doesn't have a code name. He literally just goes by his last name which isn't that uncommon.

[quote]Characters like Bishop and Jubilee have rubbish powers, though (to this day, I don't really know what Bishop's power actually was).

Lucas Bishop is a battery that absorbs and expels energy. He was mostly created by Whilce Portacio who was inspired by billiard player Efren “Bata” Reyes. He was supposed to be Pilipino but then Marvel Editor Bob Harras (now editor and Chief at DC) asked if he could be black because they had been getting a tremendous amount of fan mail at Marvel from black kids who suddenly were into the books. Bishop's presence inspired countless stories over the years.

Jubilation Lee = Jubilee = Chinese New Year = Fireworks = blowing things up and blinding people. "Actually, my name is Jubilee! 'Cause with me, every day's a celebration!" Her powers aren't "rubbish" but sometimes they were depicted that way because she was a child up until the past few years when they finally let her become an adult who has a kid of her own.

There aren't any other characters that have either of those powers in the way that they do.

It's not that complex nor is it hard to understand.

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2021 11:35 PM

Scott is back with Jean, who is also, it seems, having a little fun with Wolvie again.

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2021 11:37 PM

R72 at least I am not delusional enough to dream Marvel will put out an all white team in 2021

by Anonymousreply 89March 24, 2021 1:47 AM

The only team that might be all white are the F4, but I reckon Reed will be Latin, it's an acceptable diverse choice rather than the diverse mess of the 2015 team. The studio really didn't want a black, female lead.

by Anonymousreply 90March 24, 2021 1:50 AM

Marvel can get away with either putting out an all-white film of the original five, if they concurrently or immediately after release a solo Storm pic, or just making Bobby Drake black.

by Anonymousreply 91March 24, 2021 2:39 AM

Marvel couldn't get away with an all white cast in 2021 and beyond for an X-Men film. It's also bad business so they wouldn't. They know that the Black Panther was successful because it had crossover appeal. The same thing is happening with Falcon and The Winter Soldier. Their first episode was the most watched ever on the platform. Not that there is a whole lot to compare to but it did already beat WandaVision's premiere which was the most watched streaming show in the world at one point and both seasons of The Mandalorian.

by Anonymousreply 92March 24, 2021 2:53 AM

This made my cunt tingle (and I have to wait three fucking months to read it because the Marvel apps three-month delay):

King in Black Proves Jean Grey is Earth's True Champion

Earth's Mightiest Heroes seem to have fallen, but King in Black #4 reveals the greatest champion is still standing - the X-Men's Jean Grey.

King in Black proves the X-Men's Jean Grey is Earth's true champion. Knull has come to Earth - the ancient god of the symbiotes, implacably opposed to light and life, and easily the greatest threat the planet's heroes have ever faced. He ruled the cosmos in the days when the universe was young, striving to prevent the evolution of life, even forging a blade that can kill Celestials.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes fell before him. The Sentry was torn in half, Doctor Strange was captured an contained, and even the mutant nation of Krakoa was conquered. A handful of heroes have survived to carry on fighting, going to incredible lengths - but even that didn't seem to be enough. And then, in King in Black #4, a single mutant superhero stepped out of the shadows - and did more damage to Knull's plans than anyone else.

Jean Grey is an Omega level telepath, a mutant whose dominant power is deemed to register or reach an undefinable upper limit of that power's specific classification. In King in Black #4, she uses her telepathic abilities to coordinate an offensive against Knull, helping Venom's son Dylan disrupt the symbiote hive - and freeing the heroes who had been imprisoned within the hive. She instantly downloads what Doctor Strange describes as "a rather... intense plan" to drive Knull and his forces back to the center of New York - and unleash all the armies of Atlantis upon him, swiftly followed by bombardments of lightning courtesy of Storm and Thor. For the first time, Earth's heroes are actually on the offensive, and it's all thanks to Jean Grey. Jean is even able to press the advantage, raiding Knull's mind and discovering his one weakness - the Enigma Force, the yin to Knull's yang, the light to his darkness.

The modern X-Men comics have actually reduced Jean Grey's power, retconning it so that she is an Omega telepath but that her telekinetic powers do not operate on the same scale - despite the fact she has previously been able to knock down Galactus even without the Phoenix Force. Still, though, Jean is clearly still Earth's greatest champion; she may not possess the brute strength of Thor, but her telepathy allows her to coordinate others in something akin to the "Battle Meld" seen in the old Star Wars Expanded Universe. Thor may have been able to break Knull's jaw, but Jean is the one who leaves him shaken, who even penetrates the god of the symbiotes' psychic defenses and discovers his secrets.

There is a sense in which the X-Men left Earth vulnerable; they provided only a handful of heroes, and then retreated to cut their losses, only to find Krakoa itself conquered when the King in Black bonded with a mutant. But Jean Grey is not one to stand idly by, and her dialogue suggests she's had to get to New York the long way round, arriving in time to telepathically evaluate the state of play and quickly put together a remarkably effective plan. There is rich irony in the fact that, although mutants are typically hated and feared, Earth's foremost champion in King in Black is one of the X-Men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 24, 2021 7:57 AM

Oh shit! Watch out, Wanda.

[bold]It's Time The X-Men's Jean Grey Joined The Avengers[/bold]

The X-Men's Jean Grey has proven herself to be one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes - which means it's time she joined the Avengers.

It's time the X-Men's Jean Grey joined the Avengers. There was once a time when the world's premier team of superheroes worked alone, but then there came a day like none other, when even the Earth's Mightiest Heroes needed some backup from all of earth's champions to face a common threat.

There have been countless different incarnations of the Avengers, and they really have included some of the most powerful superheroes of all. Thor has gone from God of Thunder to All-Father of Asgard, the Sentry wields the power of a million burning suns, and they've even included a Captain Universe or two. And yet, with all that being the case, Earth's most formidable superhero has never been a member of the Avengers at all - at least until now.

Jean Grey is an Omega level mutant, which means her natural telepathic power is limitless in scope. What's more, she's also learned how to synergize her telepathy and telekinesis in a devastating telekinetic attack that draws upon all the psychic energy around her. This ability was so formidable that she was once able to knock down Gladiator of the Shi'ar. On one occasion she went even further, striking down Galactus himself. King in Black #4 saw Jean Grey prove herself Earth's greatest champion, because she used her telepathy to accomplish what none of the Avengers had managed; to orchestrate a pushback against Knull and even raid his memories.

Marvel would be wise to see this as Jean Grey's audition for the Avengers, as she proves she has the right to stand among Earth's Mightiest Heroes. What's more, in the modern Marvel era, she would serve as an extremely useful recruit; she would be a bridge between the Avengers and the mutant race, helping to prevent conflict between the two groups. The X-Men and the Avengers have a complicated history, and it would be good to see both sides try to repair that relationship.

Several other X-Men have joined the Avengers in the past, most famously Beast and Wolverine. What's more, at times the Avengers have indeed attempted to rebuild relationships with the mutant community by forming a dedicated "Unity Team." The time of such a Unity Team is long past, but Jean Grey - one of the greatest X-Men, with a proud history and experience leading Krakoa as a former member of the Quiet Council - would be the perfect ambassador going forward. With the mutant race now stronger than ever, it's time for Jean Grey to join the Avengers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 24, 2021 8:02 AM

I am hyperfuckingventilating! So, a some weeks ago, I exchanged a few emails with Russell Dauterman - who is amazingly sweet and totally approachable - after I emailed him to compliment his work and ask when he would be restocking a Jean Grey print he drew that I wanted to buy.

Well, we ended up geeking out about Jean being our favorite Marvel character and I further complimented him on his tweaking of Mahmud Asrar’s costume, which he switched to green and gold. He thanked me and admitted being grateful for the compliments he’s received on it because he wasn’t sure it worked. I gushed that of course it did, especially because it echoed her classic Phoenix costume, to which he replied, “Really? Hm... I’m getting ideas.”

Now, I just caught a peek of his further tweaking of the costume and he’s totally Phoenix-ed it up. I can’t. She looks DIVINE. 😭 (The new tweaking is not the pic below, but you can view it in the link.)

He’s also reworked Storm and Rogue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 24, 2021 8:22 AM

Correction: the pic above is of the new design, but its beauty is largely obscured. You get a better pic of the costumes in the article.

I feel like I’m twelve again. Okay, I’m shutting up about Jean now.

by Anonymousreply 96March 24, 2021 8:42 AM

P.S. Emma fan, though I give you shit, you should know that he’s designed a pretty badass avant-garde costume for Frost, too, harkening back to her original look. It’s in the article above.

by Anonymousreply 97March 24, 2021 8:47 AM

Jesus, someone is obsessed with Jean and the OG team.

by Anonymousreply 98March 24, 2021 8:49 AM

I LOVE gay nerds - where were you all when I was looking for love on Grindr/Scruff?

by Anonymousreply 99March 24, 2021 8:57 AM

R99 We’re all yours in here, baby.

by Anonymousreply 100March 24, 2021 9:02 AM

Oh hell no 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 24, 2021 9:07 AM

Biiiiitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 24, 2021 9:09 AM

EW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 24, 2021 9:10 AM

Emma fan, Russell blessed Frost with three costumes. (I hate you right now but am consoling myself with the fact that Jean is his admitted favorite.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 24, 2021 9:21 AM

r88

scott and wolvie may be fucking as well

by Anonymousreply 105March 24, 2021 10:23 AM

[quote]Okay, I’m shutting up about Jean now.

Liar.

by Anonymousreply 106March 24, 2021 10:35 AM

R106 That would be hot.

Jean and Logan just made out too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 24, 2021 10:42 AM

A few of the Omega (ω) level mutants are Jean Grey,Elixir,Franklin Richards,Storm and David Haller.

by Anonymousreply 108March 24, 2021 1:19 PM

Franklin isn't a mutant anymore.

by Anonymousreply 109March 24, 2021 1:22 PM

Another one? Is Hollywood really that desperate?

by Anonymousreply 110March 24, 2021 1:24 PM

R110 Oh, please. The films that have come before have been utter shite. X-Men, even with the recent success of The Avengers, is still Marvel’s signature property. Of course they’re itching to do their own proper version of this team, and the fans, both casual and hardcore, are hungry for it.

by Anonymousreply 111March 24, 2021 1:48 PM

R110 After covid? Hollywood is begging for superhero movies right now.

by Anonymousreply 112March 24, 2021 1:52 PM

Russell Dauterman needs to be the costume designer and illustrator for this reboot, especially since he already has film experience, having worked as a costume illustrator on [italic]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/italic] and [italic]Captain America: The First Avenger[/italic]. His designs and illustrations are sick.

by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2021 2:03 PM

We appreciate the, uh, passion...

But, like it or not, most want some iteration of the ‘90s cartoon team, complete with the Jim Lee costumes.

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2021 2:35 PM

I don't watch any of these but it seems like Hollywood is running out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 115March 24, 2021 3:38 PM

We appreciate the, uh, 90s...

But no.

by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2021 5:50 PM

I'm happy to announce that my schedule is wide open!

by Anonymousreply 117March 24, 2021 5:54 PM

R117 You're old as shit now January, just accept the grandmother roles and move on.

by Anonymousreply 118March 24, 2021 5:56 PM

Sonequa Martin-Green for Storm, please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 24, 2021 6:02 PM

R114 Exactly, give me the 90s suits and feel. Rogue in her green and yellow jumpsuit with the jacket is a must!

by Anonymousreply 120March 24, 2021 6:05 PM

Something like this would work very well in the reboot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 24, 2021 6:13 PM

Sadly, the 90s were not considered the best time creatively for the X-Men titles even if that's what your nostalgia is for, r120.

by Anonymousreply 122March 24, 2021 6:16 PM

R122 True but the cartoon gave the X-Men a massive boost in exposure, most people will associate X-Men either with the Fox movies or the 90s cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 123March 24, 2021 6:18 PM

R123 Look, I love that era - I started collecting in 1990 as a preteen - and I absolutely adore Jim Lee (he, John Byrne, and now Russell Dauterman are my favorite artists), but this simply won’t do. Either start pure and fresh from the very beginning, maybe incorporate a nod to this era along the way to Hickman’s masterful reboot, or just start with Hickman’s reboot, which is extremely cinematic, for the film reboot.

Also, I can’t wait for this. Coming this summer (hence the new costumes posted upthread).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 24, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]Look, I love that era - I started collecting in 1990 as a preteen

That's the point. Doesn't matter what happened creatively. Start the team off with what people who are millennials and GenX that have kids of their own would have started reading and watching the animated series and they will go and see it.

Marvel proper seems to know this. That's why they keep creating new titles utilizing those 90s teams and outfits. They did it previously with X-Men '92, and they're doing it right now with X-Men: Legends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 24, 2021 9:20 PM

R125 You bitch! You inadvertently brought up a weakness and favorite of mine: Chris Claremont. They started Legends years back so that Claremont, who I absolutely love, could continue and, in some cases, finish his story arcs. Love Legends. Nonetheless, it’s outside of the established continuity, and they’re not going to do it.

The artwork is also a HUGE homage to Jim Lee’s work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 24, 2021 11:08 PM

R125 Exactly, it's the era gen x, millenials and some of gen z most associate with X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 127March 24, 2021 11:12 PM

Hullloooo. Fox already catered; Marvel will be serving.

by Anonymousreply 128March 24, 2021 11:13 PM

Daniel Radcliffe for Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 25, 2021 11:43 AM

I feel prescient. So, this leaker has apparently revealed some things that have turned out to be true before. This is what they had to say about the upcoming X-Men reboot:

[quote]The leaker claims that Marvel’s big X-Men project is codenamed “The Mutants,” and it includes a movie with that name along with plans to introduce other characters into the MCU via various shows and movies leading up to the actual The Mutants film.

[quote]Apparently, the first mutants could show up in the MCU in 2021. The leak also notes that “there may be a mention about mutants feeling free to reveal themselves to the world and fight crimes after Tony Stark reveals himself as Iron Man.” Additionally, it claims that The Blip (aka, the Snap) could play a major part in turning regular humans against their mutant brothers.

[quote]As for the actual first X-Men film, it may be directly connected to Eternals and focus primarily on Charles Xavier and Moira MacTaggart. It could also feature the Brotherhood of Mutants (Magneto, Mystique, Sabertooth, Toad, Pyro, the Blob, etc) as the main villains, and include an [bold]X-Men team inspired by the “First Class” comics (that’s Angel, Jean Gray, Cyclops, Iceman, and Beast).[/bold]

[quote]Finally, @mainmiddleman claims that the first MCU [bold]X-Men movie will focus on “social issues about minorities,” which makes sense since Mutants have always served as a metaphor for minorities and the way society mistreats them.[/bold]

Also, I haven’t watched The Falcon and the Winter Soldier yet, but apparently they’ve already started dropping Easter eggs specifically tied to the Wolverine solo series from the 80s.

We’ll see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 2, 2021 11:33 PM

A pray we get a Storm this regal and commanding ! It's all I ask. Please :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 2, 2021 11:40 PM

The Storms in the Fox films were so bad. Awful casting.

by Anonymousreply 132April 2, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote]Also, I haven’t watched The Falcon and the Winter Soldier yet, but apparently they’ve already started dropping Easter eggs specifically tied to the Wolverine solo series from the 80s.

Madripoor featured heavily in the most recent episode. They'd done press beforehand stating that the show went to a location they weren't able to previously, and the nerds creamed themselves thinking they meant Latveria.

I was pretty sure it was going to be Madripoor. It's a good location for a spy story.

by Anonymousreply 133April 3, 2021 12:23 AM

Some of you in here need to check out Invincible on Amazon Prime. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 3, 2021 1:24 AM

R90

It seems fandom didn’t object to the race of the Storm sibling, per se, and more to the awkward shoehorn backstory.

Just make both kids black and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 135April 3, 2021 3:25 AM

Polaris won and is part of the new team. Love this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2021 11:39 PM

I can’t wait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 17, 2021 5:01 AM

The new team lineup is so quirky yet perfect, and the cover for X-Men #1 is sublime (check EW article):

Cyclops

Jean Grey

Rogue

Polaris

Wolverine (Logan’s daughter)

Sunspot

Synch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 17, 2021 5:09 AM

I’m so in love with this account 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 17, 2021 6:05 AM

Jean is his fave and he’s a cutie, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 17, 2021 6:07 AM

I had to post this sublime piece Alex Ross shared for later fangirling. They look stunning.

Red is perfection in this portrait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 19, 2021 7:20 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this done well. The last few X-films have been so disappointing.

The best adaptation of the Dark Phoenix saga so far was from the 90s cartoon - the Dark Phoenix film was so, so bad and completely messed it up in every possible way.

by Anonymousreply 142April 19, 2021 8:36 AM

[quote] Wanda has no place in the X-men mythos. Her sociopathic, abusive, obsessive brother is no better.

Well, I don’t know about that. Pietro’s worth hanging on to, if only for some nice....assets.

If he needs new sweatpants, he can always come to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 19, 2021 9:09 AM

R142 Ugh, right? I recently watched the X-Men episodes of The DPS on HBO Max and enjoyed it. They really did do a fairly decent job of adapting it.

I’m excited for MCU X-Men too.

by Anonymousreply 144April 19, 2021 9:18 AM

You bitches pining for 90s designs for the reboot will love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 19, 2021 9:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 19, 2021 9:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 19, 2021 9:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 19, 2021 9:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 19, 2021 9:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 19, 2021 9:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 19, 2021 9:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 19, 2021 9:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 19, 2021 9:26 AM

Not keen on the Ross image in R141. Cyclops looks about 50 and Jean has a porn star face.

by Anonymousreply 154April 19, 2021 12:23 PM

So, typical Ross, then.

by Anonymousreply 155April 19, 2021 12:26 PM

The actress that plays Ayo would've made a fantastic Storm, she has the right presence for the character.

by Anonymousreply 156April 19, 2021 12:35 PM

Is that Bonnie Parker to the right of the bald guy in the front?

by Anonymousreply 157April 19, 2021 12:50 PM

No Storm on that X-men team? Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 158April 19, 2021 2:11 PM

At the risk of triggering the Klan Grannies, the X-Men movies all completely fucked over their non-white characters.

None so bad at First Class, wherein all the non-white mutants turn evil or die, but still...

by Anonymousreply 159April 19, 2021 2:15 PM

Am I the only one absolutely TIRED of Jean Grey and Cyclops?

by Anonymousreply 160April 19, 2021 2:15 PM

I'm fucking exhausted from Wolverine and Mystique, personally.

by Anonymousreply 161April 19, 2021 2:16 PM

Although in the current X-Men run, Jean and Scott are in a throuple with Wolverine, and they've dropped a bunch of hints that Scott and Wolverine are fucking each other.

by Anonymousreply 162April 19, 2021 2:19 PM

Yes you are r160.

by Anonymousreply 163April 19, 2021 10:04 PM

lol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 22, 2021 10:23 PM

Dream Jean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 22, 2021 11:18 PM

R165 I like!

I also like this choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 22, 2021 11:55 PM

r166

me too

by Anonymousreply 167April 23, 2021 12:08 AM

omfg. This is the cutest fucking thing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 23, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote]Polaris won and is part of the new team. Love this!

She was their choice from the start. Unlike the rest of the people they listed she's popular and has actually had the spotlight on her occasionally. She was always written horribly but at least she was written about.

[quote]It could also feature the Brotherhood of Mutants (Magneto, Mystique, Sabertooth, Toad, Pyro, the Blob, etc) as the main villains, and include an X-Men team inspired by the “First Class” comics (that’s Angel, Jean Gray, Cyclops, Iceman, and Beast).

They won't do an all white team and all white villains. Also that team, from 1963 got that book cancelled.

The 1971 X-Men, at the earliest, would be a better jumping off point if they must do this.

That international lineup featuring characters who were all completely different but managed to work together is what kept the book going until this day. That would be a better team to act as a metaphor for the civil rights movement.

They got away with that lineup in X-Men: First Class, 10 years ago but only barely. That wouldn't fly now.

by Anonymousreply 169April 23, 2021 4:26 AM

Man! Magneto looks like one helluva muscle dom top daddy in OP's first pic.

by Anonymousreply 170April 23, 2021 4:31 AM

R170

Yes, he does!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 23, 2021 9:51 AM

I just caught this on HBO Max and loved it. I can’t believe it was so trashed by critics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 24, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote] The New Mutants comics co-creator, Bob McLeod, expressed his disappointment with the film for inaccurately depicting the characters, including whitewashing Roberto, who is dark-skinned with Afro Brazilian heritage in the comics. He also criticized the film for misspelling his name in the credits as "MacLeod".[107] The spelling was corrected for the home media release.[108] Criticism was also directed to Braga, a Brazilian woman, playing Dr. Cecilia Reyes, a Puerto Rican character.[109]

Okay, well this is some valid shit to hold against the film.

Still loved it though.

by Anonymousreply 173April 24, 2021 12:04 PM

I thought it was pretty decent, as well, R172. Certainly better than the Phoenix monstrosity and probably one of the top three X-Men movies.. My only real issue was them removing the canon gay character (Karma) and then making Mirage and Wolfsbane gay instead. They could have done it to Berto and Sam!

by Anonymousreply 174April 24, 2021 12:06 PM

R174 Better than both Phoenix monstrosities (and Jean is my favorite mutant) and I agree, I would rank it highly as well. Berto was so fucking hot, pun intended.

Anyway, I liked it so much, I’m going to watch it again later this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 175April 24, 2021 12:26 PM

I thought the film sucked and I live that comic. Have the first 20 issues.

It was ok for a dark teen drama, I guess. But the action parts were crazy lame. Especially Sunspot. Idk - that one bit at the end with him whimpering and cowering like a pussy. So irritating.

And I love Cannonball but hated the Stranger Things guy. That casting was just off.

by Anonymousreply 176April 24, 2021 12:38 PM

R176 You really liked nothing about it?

by Anonymousreply 177April 24, 2021 5:46 PM

Can you all post more pics of muscle dom Magneto please?

by Anonymousreply 178April 24, 2021 6:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 24, 2021 6:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 24, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote]Certainly better than the Phoenix monstrosity and probably one of the top three X-Men movies

I suppose it would have been an okay movie if I didn't know anything about comic books.

Either way, I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top three X-Men movies. That's just silly. It was nowhere near Logan, X-2 or even Deadpool quality.

The biggest problem these movies always seem to have is that they never just do the damn plot. You have everything laid out there for you. If you want to do demon bear then just do demon bear.

Their original idea of setting it in the 80s with Storm and Professor X watching over the children made a lot more sense than randomly pulling out some bad version of Cecelia Reyes just because someone saw her name in a book and didn't do any research.

by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2021 7:36 PM

I thought the movie was pretty good. The casting was great, except for the junkie they had playing Sam. Not sure why they didn't use Karma, though it could have been that her power is not exactly "visual." The inclusion of Reyes was really random, though I didn't like the twist of who she was working for.

by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2021 7:45 PM

R181 I thought the plot was great and would not have worked had either Professor X or Storm been the caretaker. Also, I love [italic]Logan[/italic], and now that you mention it, I think they briefly used a flashback scene from that film.

However, I have to agree with you about Cecilia Reyes. When I realized that was the character they were using, I had a big WTF moment and thought, she’s nothing like that! I was so engrossed, though, that I was able to overlook it.

Admittedly, I went into The New Mutants with low expectations and knowing nothing about the plot. I knew Magik and Wolfsbane would be characters, but that’s about it. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2021 7:46 PM

If they want to do the Dark Phoenix Saga, they need to A) allow the audience to get to know Jean, and B) spend some time with her as Not Dark Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2021 8:05 PM

I love the character of DR. Cecelia Reyes and always have. I didn’t appreciate how this half-ass New Mutants film portrayed her. That’s not Dr. Reyes.

by Anonymousreply 185April 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Thank you R179 and R180

by Anonymousreply 186April 24, 2021 8:09 PM

R185, Rosario Dawson was a much better choice in terms of casting but the character was written all wrong here.

R183, It would have worked with Professor Xaiver and Storm if they stuck to the original plot involving the demon bear. Throw out all that Mr. Sinister stuff. Be open about them potentially being the next X-Men team. Use Storm to replace Stevie Hunter (or maybe just use Stevie). Have Dani terrorize that group, if not the rest of the school, with the bear. Then the adults can be happy when the kids can handle themselves impressing everyone. I don't know if you have any interest in comics, but the original "Demon Bear" saga was a good read and pretty unique as far as comic books go. I'm sure you can find the trade paperback somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 187April 24, 2021 8:43 PM

Can’t wait for the Emma Frost domination coming to the MCU.

by Anonymousreply 188April 24, 2021 8:56 PM

R184 To do it properly, they would need to treat it the way they did the Infinity Wars, dedicating at least three films to it.

by Anonymousreply 189April 24, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote][R184] To do it properly, they would need to treat it the way they did the Infinity Wars, dedicating at least three films to it.

Exactly. I think you'd need a Jean solo film as well, just because any character that's not Wolverine is going to get lost in a team film.

by Anonymousreply 190April 24, 2021 10:01 PM

They'd have to bring in the Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard, which would be cool, but also expensive as hell.

by Anonymousreply 191April 24, 2021 10:05 PM

R190 I’m dying for this but not sure it would happen. Her recent solo series - “Jean Grey” - was surprisingly fantastic. I also loved and was quite enthralled by the recent “X-Men: Red” series, in which for the first time she was the leader of a team. It was so damn good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 24, 2021 10:08 PM

X-Men: Red. It had a killer roster:

Jean Grey

Nightcrawler

Storm

Namor

Wolverine

Gambit

Gentle

Honey Badger

Trinary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 24, 2021 10:09 PM

R190 I will say this, they might do a Jean and Cyclops solo film, which could be just as good.

by Anonymousreply 194April 24, 2021 10:13 PM

I don't know why people keep trying to cast these tiny women to play Storm, but it's frustrating. She's meant to, literally, stand shoulder to shoulder with the male leaders of Marvel. She needs to be tall.

I'm thinking that the MCU will either use a team similar to the original Ultimate X-Men team or do some adaptation to Giant-Sized X-Men #1 and open the movie with the more diverse team rescuing the O5. For the past few years, Marvel has really been trying to be more diverse with their movies, so I don't see them going with an all white team like they did with the Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 195April 25, 2021 3:02 AM

Casting Storm really isn’t that difficult, but they always managed to fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 196April 25, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote] do some adaptation to Giant-Sized X-Men #1 and open the movie with the more diverse team rescuing the O5.

This is what I want!

by Anonymousreply 197April 25, 2021 3:43 AM

Always thought Angela Bassett would have been the ideal Storm

by Anonymousreply 198April 25, 2021 4:17 AM

R198 Same. That was such a missed opportunity. Thankfully, we have Sonequa Martin-Green, who should be like the top candidate for Ororo.

by Anonymousreply 199April 25, 2021 4:24 AM

I could go for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 25, 2021 4:56 AM

No. More. Jean.

by Anonymousreply 201April 25, 2021 5:04 AM

R201 Chile, please.

by Anonymousreply 202April 25, 2021 5:07 AM

And no more ‘Chile’ either. For fucks sake Gretchen, ‘fetch’ isn’t going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 203April 25, 2021 5:14 AM

R203 Mira... ya!

by Anonymousreply 204April 25, 2021 5:16 AM

They need to adapt Storm: The Arena for the first movie: - Subtle Lesbotastic

- Strong female POC lead

- cool Japanese setting (Japan setting is all the rage these days)

- Potential for tranny inclusion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 25, 2021 5:21 AM

Bassett and Martin-Green are both far too small. It was supposed to be Vanessa Williams in the FOX movies, but she was pregnant at the time and couldn't take the role.

by Anonymousreply 206April 25, 2021 7:41 PM

I always thought that someone that looked like Iman would have been perfect in the original trilogy. (She was already 45 when that first one came out though.) Naomi Campbell (who people forget can and has acted for years) would have been great back then too.

[quote]It was supposed to be Vanessa Williams in the FOX movies, but she was pregnant at the time and couldn't take the role.

They even considered Mariah Carey at one point. They were casting a wide net.

The funny thing about "Storm" is that David Haytner (the writer of the first two X-Movies) said, "Angela Bassett was our first choice for Storm, but her agents wanted more money than we had at the time," but Angela herself has said they never asked her to do it.

Seems like they couldn't meet the threshold for something she'd consider so they never brought it to her. (Especially with comic book movies not being a thing yet and people having no idea how well it would do.)

The same thing that happened with Rob Lowe being the first choice for Nip/Tuck over Julian McMahon. Rob said he told Ryan Murphy how much he loved the show. Ryan said he actually wrote it for him, asked his people back then and they turned it down. Rob said that never even made it to him.

by Anonymousreply 207April 25, 2021 8:05 PM

Bitch, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 26, 2021 6:02 AM

God, I love the fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 26, 2021 6:07 AM

i'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 26, 2021 7:19 AM

We’re getting closer…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 3, 2021 8:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 4, 2021 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213May 4, 2021 6:03 PM

Russell 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 15, 2021 4:29 AM

Pepe 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215May 15, 2021 4:31 AM

So I hear that Jonathan Hickman is going to stop writing the flagship book X-Men and write a Reign of Mutants related secret book.

by Anonymousreply 216May 31, 2021 4:17 AM

Namor is going to be introduced into the MCU in Black Panther 2 and this time instead of being from Atlantis will be from a splinter Aztec tribe that worships the Jaguar God possibly Tezcatlipoca. Actor Tenoch Huerta is rumored to be playing Jamie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217May 23, 2022 5:04 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218May 23, 2022 5:04 AM

Naomi is a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 219May 23, 2022 5:31 AM

That would be a terrible retcon of Namor if true. I find it hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 220May 23, 2022 8:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!