Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indiegays, why didn't you tell me about Australia's Sarah Blasko?

Or, perhaps, judging by her low streaming numbers, you didn't know about her either. After going down a random music video rabbit hole, the YouTube algorithm Gods served me a couple of Sarah Blasko tracks and I am HOOKED. She seems to have had an acclaimed indie/alternative career in Australia since the late 90s (her solo career starting in the early 2000s.) I would say fans of PJ Harvey, Florence and the Machine, Cat Power, Goldfrapp, Earlier Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Nick Cave would enjoy her sound. I haven't listened to music on traditional terrestrial radio in years -- but I imagine she'd be played on the likes of LA's KCRW, Minneapolis' The Current, Seattle's KEXP etc.

The 6 or7 songs I've heard thus far from her most recent album Depth of Field, are gems -- she has a keen sense of melody (these aren't 'difficult' tracks) combining undeniable pop hooks, slinky, atmospheric glam production, a dark melancholy-on-the-dancefloor undercurrent and all surrounding a really captivating, slightly smoky voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 6:02 AM

So good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2021 11:48 PM

Builds and builds and builds...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2021 11:54 PM

This one as an ethereal explosion 2 minutes in. Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2021 11:59 PM

I want to be your man is my fave song of hers

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2021 12:03 AM

OP if you like Sarah Blasko, check out Clare Bowditch, Brooke Fraser and Missy Higgins.

Or better yet, for a sampler, check out “She Will Have Her Way” - an album of NZ and Australian female singers performing songs by the Finn brothers (by Crowded House and Split Enz) including by Sarah Blasko and the names above.

It’s lovely.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2021 1:25 AM

R4 - LOVE it. She sounds so different there. I suppose PJ Harvey has done that -- switched up her vocal style album to album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2021 4:27 AM

Thanks, OP. Listening to her on Pandora now.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2021 4:31 AM

R5...yes so true

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2021 8:03 AM

Still so good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 5:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 5:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 5:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 6:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!