Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have You Ever Witnessed Death?

Occasionally I think back to the time I watched an old man die. The poor man must have had a stroke or a heart attack while driving, crash into a parked car, opened his car door, fell out onto the road and after a seconds his body just relaxed and he was gone. I was 14 when I witnessed this and it's always stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 9404/08/2021

I have been with all 3 of my exes when they died. Also my father.

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2021

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2021

I saw someone die in the subway. A very elderly man who was feeling faint. People were assisting him up the stairs and one of them said "he's dead". There was nothing I could do, so I left the scene, as they were asking people to clear the platform so that the ambulance staff could have room. I don't know if he had felt ill and was trying to get to the nearby hospital. It was upsetting more for the location than what actually happened. I wouldn't like my last conscious thoughts to be in a subway station.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2021

I worked in the ER for many years. I've seen far too much death under virtually all types of circumstances. It never gets easier.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2021

Yes. Also bed death, which is worse.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2021

I was present when my brother-in-law died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2021

R4 do you think you have PTSD from witnessing so much death and tragedy in the ER?

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2021

I watched a previous partner die of cancer. He didn't even know he was ill until it was too late. He wasn't feeling great and figured he had the flu, but the "flu" didn't go away. He was sent for tests and one of the tests involved the doctor viewing the interior of the stomach. It turned out that the stomach was seeded with tiny cancerous tumors, and the cancer had spread to the liver. He was hospitalized immediately, and lasted a month.

He had morphine on demand and was kept reasonably comfortable until the end, which was peaceful, and he was unconscious at the time. He suddenly took a deep breath and was gone. One of the nurses who was in the room with us called out the time of death.

When I got home that night, I found that the clock he kept at the side of the bed had stopped exactly at the moment he had died. I took out the batteries and tested them, They were fine.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2021

Watched father die of cancer. Lots of pain - apparently because liver couldn’t metabolize morphine, it couldn’t be delivered. Painful throes of death rattle for 2 days and then dead. Made me think that life force just evaporates into the air. Except for the pain of dying, I’m not afraid of it. I just need to make sure I have some method to deliver enough fentanyl to kill me once the pain gets too much.

I strongly encourage it for everyone. Really helps to understand and clarify life. I find the modern avoidance of it stance and unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2021

I literally got PTSD from watching the footage of people falling out of buildings on 9/11. I had never seen anyone die in real life up to that point.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2021

Yes, five family members over the years. It’s part of life. The thing I can’t handle is watching someone suffer, but I’ve had to do it anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2021

Yea and minutes before they did they opened their eyes and looked around and then focused on me. Why I have no fucking idea.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2021

I was in the audience at the MTV Video Awards when Paula Abdul did “Vibeology”.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2021

My mother and brother. My mothers was peaceful. My brothers was horrifying. But I didn’t want him to be alone.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2021

I've not seen anyone die.

I'm 55.

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2021

R15 You must before you die.

If you don't get the opportunity, please make sure you die in a bed with an overhead mirror.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2021

Dying is as natural as being born. You don't remember either one.

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2021

I've witnessed birth and death many, many times.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2021

If it haunts you op you might take comfort in some of these accounts.

It's you know, probably the closest idea to what that man went through after he died. Instead of just the fade to black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2021

Tell me more R1

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2021

Too often, most memorably in front of the Mexico City Sears across from the fPalacio de Bellas Artes on Av. Juarez downtown.

A guy - 50’s or so - walking on the sidewalk clutched his chest and dropped to the ground. He was about 60 or 70 feet from of us. People closer to him tried to help, but he was dead by the time we got there.

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2021

I was with both of my parents when they died, 47 years apart.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2021

My last husband died of complications from MS on his 50th birthday. I was sitting there beside him ,everyone else had gone home,and he just stopped breathing. No death rattle,no gasp ,he just stopped breathing. It took me a few seconds to realize he was gone. I had seen so many people die at that point I was just numb. I called his mom,called the funeral home ,and waited till they collected him,then went back to our apt where I proceeded to break down. I watche dmy beloved grandmother die,my father ,several friends during the aids years. Im not scared of dying,but I am scared of suffering.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2021

I was with both my parents. So thankful. No questions. They were at peace.

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2021

My grandfather. I had a dr. visit early that morning and decided to stop by the hospital afterwards. Walking up to the hospital entrance, there were several white feathers on the ground. When i got to his room, all my family was already there (no one called me) we were all in the room, and he took his last breath.

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2021

Every time I look in the mirror and think about my career.

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2021

I was with my mother for the last few weeks of her life as she was dying of cancer, and was sitting by her bed when she finally died. The cancer had metastasized to her brain and her last weeks were harrowing. I agree with all those who have said that it’s not death they fear, it’s the suffering.

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2021

Twice.

First time I was on an errand for mom. As I passed my Junior High School's basketball court, I noticed someone lying on the sidewalk up ahead. As I got closer, I could see an expanding pool of dark red blood next to a man in his 20s. It flowed from a huge neck gash. The guy had stopped breathing. His eyes were wide open. I ran to the deli and told the owner who called the police.

Second time I was in my best friend's hospital room just before visiting hours ended. He had lapsed into unconsciousness about 4 hours before then. His pulse and respiration were really slowing down. I was putting on my jacket to leave when the alarm went off. He had suffered so damn much I was honestly glad it was over.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2021

My dad saw an old lady get hit by a train. She was rushing to get to bingo. Her boots went one way, she went the other.

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2021

I'm the "thinking about my Dad's death" poster. He'd had a bleeding episode, but the hospice nurses were there in a quick and for some reason my Mom decided that we needed new towels and sheets because he'd bled all over the bed. We were both in shock and not thinking with clear minds so I said ok. We went to Macy's and then she wanted to stop at Kohls for some reason and I said no, we should get back. When we got back to the house, the hospice nurse said had had maybe a couple of minutes. So we stood there in more shock. Just then two neighbors came to the door and I ushered them in as my dad was taking his dying breaths. It's still so fucking surreal. The nurse was watching his breathing, and then pronounced that he was gone. That's the part it's hard for me to come to terms with. One minute someone is alive and the next they're dead. The most horrible part for me was that I had to call the people at the funeral home to pick him up. He was going to be cremated, but still. I called the funeral home and they showed up in a white Chrysler mini van. They put him in a body bag and off they went. I still am processing that and I've never told any about this. There's something about a funeral where you can mourn and say your goodbyes. When your Dad is put in a body bag to be cremated, it loses something. I threw a memorial celebration for him (catered) but shit. Part of his cremains are in an antique Chinese jar in my china cabinet and I talk to him most every day. OK, I've said too much and am sorry but sharing with DL actually helps, even after 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2021

R29 You've reminded me of that horrible video of the women getting struck by the train and sent flying across a road, her body a blurred, mangled mess. It was crazy how quickly her life was snuffed out and her last thought must've been "I can't be late".

by Anonymousreply 3103/20/2021

Just my elderly pets. I didn’t want them to be alone when they were put down.

by Anonymousreply 3203/20/2021

My father. We were with him when the nurses took him off the ventilator. Nothing visible happened. I thought I’d feel something significant, but nothing.

But at least he wasn’t alone.

by Anonymousreply 3303/20/2021

I’m about to if my partner doesn’t stop with the fucking snoring.

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2021

Went to my Grandmother s when I was 6 with my Mother and she was on the floor dead.

My Dad had a heart attack and died on his birthday in a restaurant when I was 29.

Death is part of life, we sanitise it too much.

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2021

R35 your sentence structure is funny.

by Anonymousreply 3603/20/2021

My mother, my stepmother and my best friend’s 11-year old son.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2021

r30 it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2021

r27 again. It’s okay, r30. I still remember the funeral home attendants wheeling out the body bag with my mother’s body in it. The sun was shining and they took her out through her garden and put her in their van. It’s been years and it’s still strange.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2021

Yes He did not go gently into the good night

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2021

Yes, I was at my mother's bedside when she didn't take another breath. Slower and slower and then not another.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2021

I grew up a block from a commuter rail station in Central NJ. I was in the car with my dad when we saw a train leaving and some asshole trying to jump into a moving train when he made the leap, lost his grip on the door handle, and slid under the train while It was moving. It was a bloody disaster that I still see so vividly.

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2021

My husband is the unluckiest person ever.

He has been present when his Mother, Father, 3 Brother's and Nephew have died.

It freaks him out completely now, he won't even visit people in hospital.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2021

Yes, a neighbor knocked on my door at midnight (1989) and said he was sick (AIDS) and could I drive him the 35 miles to a hospital. He died in the passenger seat midway. And yes, we made it to the ER and I promptly had a nervous breakdown. I was so distraught that the ER physician sedated me. Such a kind, quiet, gentle young man to die like that.

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2021

That’s horrible. @R44 You’re a good person to help him like that. I’m sure he appreciated your kindness in his last moments

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2021

Yes. My father died at home surrounded by his family.

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2021

We all die and go to heaven.

If you think there's nothing else HA you're in for a shock when you die.

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2021

We’re all witnessing death, op, when we look at one another or in a mirror. We’re all dying a thousand little deaths every day.

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2021

Found my brother after he took his life. He was 16. Me 19, home from college. The night before he said "Love you" and went to bed. The next morning, he was gone.

My horrible father, who had tortured this fine boy, had no one to care for him in the end. I hadn't spoken to him in many years, but I did it. Nobody should die alone, right?

Wrong. Many will think me cruel, but I regret the experience. He was the same feckless, useless prick to me in the months leading up to his end. His end was awful, and, I felt, fitting. The whole process left deep, long lasting scars I didn't need.

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2021

Two years ago I was with my aunt when she died in a hospital emergency room. I didn’t realize HOW sick she was until a doctor pulled me to the side and told me to call her son to get there ASAP because she would be gone in a few hours; I went numb with shock. I went on autopilot; I didn’t even feel grief until afterwards.

They let us into a private room off the main emergency room and gave my aunt something for pain so she was quickly unconscious . I took out my cellphone and went on YouTube looking up songs I knew she liked. She stopped breathing while The Platters’ “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” was playing. It was a peaceful end.

by Anonymousreply 5003/20/2021

As a former hospice nurse for about 8 years, I was personally present for the deaths of about 3 to 4 dozen people, men and women, black, white, Asian, poor and rich, gay and straight. Some were surrounded by loving families, some had only me. Some were angry, some delirious, others calm. I never saw any spirits, nor any weird coincidences. I was there for all of them.

by Anonymousreply 5103/20/2021

"Have You Ever Witnessed Death?"

Well, I did watch Bette in Wicked Stepmother, so yes.

by Anonymousreply 5203/20/2021

I think hospice nurses have a load of wisdom. Strong people - curious how they view life since they are so aware of death.

by Anonymousreply 5303/20/2021

Well said, R53.

by Anonymousreply 5403/20/2021

My grandfather. He went home to die. Basically, we had a vigil at the house for 3 days. His children and grandchildren surrounded him as he passed on. It actually was a beautiful thing. He loved his family and it was fitting.

by Anonymousreply 5503/20/2021

R55 That does sound beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5603/20/2021

All people go to heaven.

It's the people on earth who get the shit end of the stick. I think that's why they make us come back. The ones of us who have died for a few seconds. We feel this indescribable love, like nothing you've ever felt peace and we want to stay. Beg to stay but the angels are like, sorry you must go. It will only be for a short while.

It doesn't matter what you have on earth, when you've seen what is over there, you're never going to want to come back. This earth is like wallowing knee deep in molasses, and emotions are heavy compared to the perfection there.

So don't believe me. You'll see for yourself. Those of us who have died know. We know it's the people on earth who suffer and the ones dead are hey, this is awesome. Anyway I wonder if we could know it's awesome without having to come to earth or be an individual creature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5703/20/2021

R57 I believe! Even the Buddhists acknowledge that this is hell. If you’re here, you’ve got karma, baby.

by Anonymousreply 5803/20/2021

I dealt with Hospice Nurses for 2 1/2 years and all they care about is logging in and logging out. They couldn't give a shit about my mom. It was such a medicare scam. We paid 6,000 dollars a month for them to spend 8 hours/per month total with my mom!!! When I realized the scam that was going on, I started cracking the whip with their bullshit!

I couldn't stand the the whole Hospice scam that was going on because it didn't help me at all (the full time care giver) The only benefit was the hospital bed that was covered. Other than that.... total scam! I fucking hate the hospice bullshit scammers.

by Anonymousreply 5903/20/2021

R57 Yes, I was dying and had that scenario from Ghost happen to me. When I saw it in the film it flipped me out. I was going, 'Yeah, that's what happened to me!'.

As for other people, I was witness to a man being run over by a van. When the van went over him his chest made a horrific popping sound. I knew he was gone. I went into some sort of shock and could not even speak for about half an hour seems like. I finally snapped out of it and made a statement to the police. The guy that ran over the man was also in shock in a bad way. I was the only eyewitness. I told the police the driver was not at fault, that the man just came flailing out from between 2 parked cars and there was no way the driver could have seen him. The roadkill guy was wasted drunk I later found out. The driver was not charged with anything.

by Anonymousreply 6003/20/2021

Yes, I watched a career die.

by Anonymousreply 6103/20/2021

R49, I’m sorry about that entire experience. Your brother, then your father. I agree that we don’t owe abusive people help during the end of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 6203/20/2021

Hospice workers are insurance scammers and they know that they are. I had nurses that did "remote visits" where they would ask me to take my mom's vitals and then bill medicare as a visit!!!! Unbelievable. Total grifters!

by Anonymousreply 6303/20/2021

R60 that's terrible. You know the guy who got ran over popped out of his body and floated to heaven probably saying " well, shit, this ain't too bad! Hell I was on my way to get a 40 but this is better!" Then the light poured over him and he went to the better place.

Meanwhile the people on earth who experience it, have to do it over and over as they recall it in their minds. The fear builds. It just really sucks. But the guy up in heaven is totally fine. The angel came by and told him there was a way he could live but the guy saw heaven, thought for a second and was like yeah, I think they'll get over it.

by Anonymousreply 6403/20/2021

I have not really seen someone die, but did did see my mom briefly in the viewing room after death. I was 19. I didn't really feel much until I looked at her and saw the garish makup job someone did on her face, with a bright peach lipstick. I lost it and cried and mumbled to my grandma that she looked all wrong; she never wore makeup. So my grandma wiped off her face with kleenex. I just felt s Ad d and tried to wake her up by calling out to her. They pulled me away and huggeed me. Then I got over it.

The thing I have always wanted to know is ok yeah so, we die, the end, float toward the incredible light and love and stuff, but do we see and communicate with our susters and children and other loved ones left back on earth? This is the thing that bothers me the most as a few people really rely on my love for them. I would miss them terribly.

Other than this, thank god for fentanyl.

by Anonymousreply 6503/21/2021

If heaven were to exist (a concept made up), time wouldn’t matter. Human shapes and ages wouldn’t matter. You will reconnect with everyone you’ve ever known in the form of floating, glowing orbs.

Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 6603/21/2021

My dad, who had an aggressive form of cancer. Multiple major organ failure. The hospital offered "comfort care" (morphine, I guess). A priest administered last rites and the respirator was removed. He lasted several more hours. I think it was helpful to be able to see the cardiac monitor all of that time--it gave an idea of where he stood and sort of paced things. He seemed totally unconscious even before the respirator was removed. A pretty quiet death.

by Anonymousreply 6703/21/2021

My mother. She was old and unwell, but her last day towards death was unexpected and deeply shocking. Ambulance, hospital, uncertainty, nothing to be done. All I could do was hold her hand and find what words I could. No other family around, which in retrospect I was glad about, as only one could have made a dreadful situation more bearable. I'm intensely grateful I was there. The thought of her dying alone is beyond distressing.

by Anonymousreply 6803/21/2021

An elderly man on the sidewalk in front of my house. He was staggering and I though he was drunk. I went outside to help him and realized he was having a stroke. I held him up as he began to lose his balance and I realized he was probably close to his home. I tried to reach into his pocket for his wallet to see if there was ID and he thought I was robbing him, swatting away my hand. (Dumb idea. I wasn't thinking.) Anyway, I stopped immediately, feeling helpless but not wanting to leave him. Someone in a passing car called 911. It took a while for them to arrive and by that time he had evacuated his bowels and was dead on the ground. I felt awful I couldn't find out where he lived and that his family would have to go through the agony of searching for him.

by Anonymousreply 6903/21/2021

As a teen, I worked in a pharmacy that had a Soda Fountain in the back. It was a pretty fun place to work. On one busy lunch, some older man passed out in an isle next to the counter. We could see from his chest up...the color drain from his face...until he turned blue. The ambulance declaired him dead when they arrived.

I was working in a restaurant, on a busy Bruch, when a large family came in...like seven people. All of a sudden the grandfather grabs his chest, and can't breathe. The grandson did what he could. An ambulance was called. I locked myself in the bathroom, and cried and screamed for an hour. Turns out he was having a heart attack, and it happened before. He survived, luckly.

by Anonymousreply 7003/21/2021

Grew up country, so from young I have seen many animals die in front of me—rats and mice, moles, hedgehogs, foxes, badgers, snakes, squirrels, pigeons, chickens, rabbits, deer, sheep, pigs, horses, dogs and cats—from causes both natural and unnatural (cf. bullets). You get used to it, it’s not traumatic. Although the 2000s U.K. foot-and-mouth outbreak was hellish to witness; piles upon piles of stock carcasses wherever you drove, like a living horror film.

Never seen a human kick the bucket, though (suspect I will in the next decade, my grandmother is pushing 90). Can’t imagine how hard it must be when it’s a loved one. I still can’t shake the memory of seeing my cousin emaciated on a hospital bed in the ICU, dying of self-induced starvation, and he actually recovered and lived.

by Anonymousreply 7103/21/2021

I'm sorry, R49. I had a very similar experience with my mother. It does scar you.

by Anonymousreply 7203/21/2021

Yes, two tables away on Valentine’s Day, 1998: Harry Carey’s on a Saturday night at Shame on the Moon in Rancho Mirage.

He hit the tabletop hard and didn’t move after that. Dutchie, his wife, freaked out. The EMT’s were there in less than five minutes, but couldn’t do anything. He was officially declared dead when they got him to the Eisenhower MC, but he looked dead going out on the gurney.

by Anonymousreply 7303/21/2021

Witnessed my mother in law passing. She was surrounded by all her children and their spouses.

A lovely lady, but was her time to go and it was very peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 7403/21/2021

r70 why were you crying and screaming? could you feel his pain?

by Anonymousreply 7503/21/2021

Technically, no.

by Anonymousreply 7603/21/2021

[Quote]I locked myself in the bathroom, and cried and screamed for an hour.

Way to make it all about yourself, R70. And the guy didn't even actually die!

by Anonymousreply 7703/21/2021

My mother and her death rattle lasted for almost a whole day. I wanted to smother her with a pillow just to make the noise stop and to put her out of her misery.

by Anonymousreply 7803/21/2021

I don't have to subscribe to delusions of "heaven" to accept death.

by Anonymousreply 7903/21/2021

My father and my grandmother. It was strange to see how quickly someone starts looking like a discarded Halloween mask instead of a person. All the color drains from their face, their mouths drop as if they went to sleep with their mouth open, and there's no light in their eyes. This is why I believe there's something after this. It feels like a butterfly leaving its cocoon.

by Anonymousreply 8003/21/2021

[R59], [R63]:

[R51] here. I’m sorry you both experienced such misery from hospice.

I worked as what is called a Crisis Care nurse, called to the home when any number of symptoms were out of control, such as pain, nausea, fever, constipation, delirium. We’d monitor the patient, implement orders, provide teaching to families, from one 24-hr. period to the next, with daily RN visits. When symptoms had been managed, we’d leave, a d go to another patient.

Often, one set of symptoms would lead to others as patients declined, resulting in death. Many families were so confident about a patient surviving that I’d have to help them with final arrangements, as there were none.

Families often expected us to be there, 24-7, right up to the end, but that was not how it worked. Some families would get angry about this, but by no means all.

There are many ways to show love to someone you care for, beyond just saying words.

by Anonymousreply 8103/21/2021

We were getting out of an elevator at the end of the workday. The man in front of me, 60ish, seemed in a rush. The doors opened, he took three steps into the lobby and collapsed on the floor. He was having a heart attack. Everyone in the lobby seemed to stand back so I knelt down beside him. He was staring into my eyes and he had such a look of kindness in his eyes. I'll never forget it. He was an executive and his secretary was standing off to the side weeping softly. The EMTs showed up and seemed a bit inept. He went into a second attack. He died there on the lobby floor. Even though I didn't know him, his secretary told his family about his last moments and they invited me to the funeral. I wasn't able to go but I'll always remember him.

by Anonymousreply 8203/21/2021

Does watching the cop murder George Floyd count?

by Anonymousreply 8303/21/2021

I saw Lucille Ball in Mame...so, yes

by Anonymousreply 8403/21/2021

[quote]R80 there's no light in their eyes. This is why I believe there's something after this. It feels like a butterfly leaving its cocoon.

Orrrrrrrr....simpler theory...could just be a side effect of bodily functions ceasing?

by Anonymousreply 8503/21/2021

Yes, darling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8603/21/2021

My father, at home, quietly died surrounded by family; it was peaceful. Afterward, my mother and I washed his body and I slipped a stone from our beach into his pocket.

My husband, who collapsed unexpectedly at work, at the hospital when I said it was time to take him off the machines. His death almost killed me from the grief. Three years later, I still cry a little most days.

My brother-in-law, in Japan, when we were out walking together in 1970. The ground collapsed under our weight and he slid down into a bubbling sulphuric mud pool. I was 17.

by Anonymousreply 8703/21/2021

That sounds horrific, r87. Like a horror film. I have only witnessed people in dying in their death beds. Maybe about 5. Being there for that kind of death is kind of a sacred moment, in the sense that we put thoughts about the finiteness of life out of our minds most of our waking moments in our lives. It's only in a moment of someone else's death that we slow down enough to think about the fact that someday we will also die. It can lead to reprioritizing our lives.

by Anonymousreply 8803/22/2021

Sort of, yes. Sitting outside of a skilled care facility near the window in the parking lot knowing my mom was dying in the room inside of Covid-19 and I wasn’t allowed in to say goodbye. The nurse had held the phone up to her earlier that morning and she had a death rattle and I sang to her and told her I loved her. The RN came back every 1/2 hour to put liquid morphine in her mouth, but her bed was facing the other way so I couldn’t see her or hear her. I remember thinking please don’t go when I’m not here with you (it was cold outside and I couldn’t stay all day/night). At some point I saw a tiny brown bird feather on my jeans and I thought it was important so I saved it. A few hours later, the RN came in the room and looked up at me and shook his head. She was gone. I just remember sobbing with my mask on and having a hard time breathing.

by Anonymousreply 8903/22/2021

Thank you, menluvingguy. It caused a severe mental withdrawal. In order to survive it, my brain blocked the horror. It took me 40 years to face it as my mind finally began crying out for help. I spent three years working with a doctor and even went back to Japan in order to feel it. The anniversary is this Sunday, but it’s never far from my mind.

by Anonymousreply 9003/22/2021

When I was 10, I was walking with my dad on Madison Avenue when a guy whizzed by us on a 10-speed as a bus was turning. We watched as he got sucked under the wheels and crushed. I screamed and my dad instinctively pulled me to his side and wrapped his arms around me so I couldn't see. He spun me around and rushed us around the corner. It was in the paper the next day. The kid was reckless but so young. 19-year old Columbia student.

I can still hear the squelched scream in my head, clear as a bell. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 9103/22/2021

My mom. I once saw a man go into anaphylactic shock when I was about 5 or 6. He turned every color of the rainbow , clutching and clawing at his throat. Horrifying. It was in the a parking area of Fort Mcpherson Army base. My mother grabbed me and turned my face away.

by Anonymousreply 9203/22/2021

My father, mother, brother and I were all in the hospital room when my sister passed away from cancer. She had fought it for 5 years with new medications coming out, hoping one of them would work. None did. What I remember is my sister finally went into sleeping mode and, when the nurse came in to turn her, my sister would moan. She was still feeling pain. Then one day she was turned and no sound was made. She was still breathing but I knew then that her soul had left her body if she was no longer feeling pain. Then we were with her as we watched her take her last breath. The body goes into automatic cool-down mode. No life. One never forgets that. I miss her to this day, she was my best friend and I wonder what would her life would have been like had she lived. Marriage? Kids? Great career? Ah, we'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 9303/22/2021

I watched my mom take her last breath when I was 18. She lost her battle with ovarian cancer. It’s not like it is on tv or in the movies . Her eyes didn’t shut. My dad tried to shut them but they wouldn’t. She just stared off in the distance.

I too remember the body bag as others have said. That was one of the worst parts. This beautiful , amazing woman was now just stuffed in a bag and ready to be taken away from us.

I lost something inside of me the day she died that I never got back,

by Anonymousreply 9404/08/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!