Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Riverdale’ Star Charles Melton on Anti-Asian Hate Crimes: ‘I Failed to Defend My Heritage in Fear of Retribution (Guest Colu

By Charles Melton

Charles Melton

I’ve often been told that I’m not Asian enough. Not white enough. And I question whether I am enough at all. I am conflicted by my racial identities and the trauma that comes with that. In light of the recent horrors, I am compelled to share my story.

My parents met in Korea when my father was stationed there as an Army soldier. My parents fell in love despite the negative connotations attached to their union. Soon after, they welcomed me and my two sisters, Patricia and Tammie. We were born in Juneau, Alaska and spent our childhoods at military bases: Camp Humphreys in South Korea, Fort Hood in Texas, and Stork Barracks in Germany.

For two years, my father was deployed and fought for our country, leading soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. He dedicated most of his life to our freedom. I recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I always thought of myself as a proud American citizen who was grateful for my civil liberties. What could be more American than having a father who risked his life to serve and protect my country?

Over these past few months, I’ve reexamined my roots. With that, I’ve been thinking a lot about my mother. My earliest memories are with her, out in the world among friends and strangers. But there was always pain in these interactions. I remember people talking down to my mother as if she didn’t belong. It demeaned her and in turn triggered something in me that I’ve long buried deep inside. A truth that at my young age, I didn’t know how to protect her, and it broke my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2021 2:06 PM

Comments from friends about my house smelling funny because of my mother’s home-cooked Korean meals and kimchi caused me to carry shame. At school, I never learned about my Korean American history – or Asian American history at all. If you never learn about your own history, how can you really exist? Trying to fit in at school, I chased the American dream by being a star athlete, all the while suppressing my Asian identity. I remember even beating everyone to the punch by making Asian jokes before anyone else would.

All the while, my mother held our collective pain – the feelings of displacement and shame – and carried the burden on her shoulders, blaming herself.

With the continued rise in horrific hate crimes towards my community, I have been in deep introspection by recalling my own experiences, unpacking my past, and trying to understand it all. Through it, I’ve realized that I never stood up for my Korean heritage. I’ve willfully ignored the racism and microaggressions directed towards me and my people. I failed to defend my heritage in fear of retribution. And now I can’t help but wonder what I did to contribute to the violence against Asian Americans.

What did I do to perpetuate these cruel stereotypes?

Could I have done more for my community? Could I have spoken out more? What was I afraid of?

Today, that all changes.

I will no longer remain silent about my lived experience. The hate crimes that have swept the country have forced me to realize how important the platform I have is and the responsibility that comes with it. Domestic terrorism and hate-driven violence have plagued our nation and continue to do so. What’s clear in all of this is the rampant violence against Asian people.

While I’m still trying to figure out how to merge my past and my present, I know the first step is to acknowledge that the problem exists. I intend to do the work in learning my own place. To be honest, I don’t know where my voice lives in all of this, but my new intention is to challenge this very broken system. I do know that I want to use media and entertainment as advocacy. I want to tell inclusive, representative stories. I want to reconcile my identity and come to terms with who I am, despite the pain. I want to uplift the AAPI experience through storytelling, caring, understanding, and kindness that I can share with the world.

This is where I’m at. I am Charles Melton, and I am a proud Korean American.

Charles Melton is best known for playing Reggie Mantle on The CW’s “Riverdale.” He appeared in his first feature in 2019, “The Sun Is Also a Star,” alongside Yara Shahidi and John Leguizamo. Next up, Melton stars in “Swing,” a drama set in an Ivy League school about a former army vet taking over the school’s rowing team.

by Anonymousreply 1March 20, 2021 9:33 AM

"star"?

by Anonymousreply 2March 20, 2021 9:35 AM

It sounds like he senses that he can get more job offers by playing up his Asian side, and of course, in the current environment, he’s right.

by Anonymousreply 3March 20, 2021 10:02 AM

He looks like he gets confused a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2021 10:08 AM

Cry me a river, Chuck. Sorry about your mother's troubles, but no one cares whether you're Asian or not. You're hot, so you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2021 10:09 AM

Mad respect to him For this ✊🏿

by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2021 10:10 AM

Another sanctimonious bore. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 7March 20, 2021 10:12 AM

Never seen him before but YUM

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2021 10:15 AM

It's peer pressure, pure and simple. We rather hide our shame, and obtain self-hate and self loathing, than show vulnerability or stand up for ourselves when our peers demean us (sometimes without even realizing it). All in the name of praise and approval.

by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2021 10:22 AM

From all accounts he seems like a nice guy, but it’s very problematic that one of the primary reasons he got his role on Riverdale was because he was replacing an already Asian American actor who was leaving the show. He got his first big role precisely for being the thing he says he was repressing. Then there’s his movie role in The Sun is Also a Star, which is a prominent Asian American character, but he and the female lead both looked very whitewashed for what the characters in the book called for, though I admit I didn’t see it, but a lot of that was because they didn’t look at all like the picture in my head from reading the book. So it is his Asianness that has afforded him roles, though ironic at first having been born in Alaska, he seemed to look very First Nations to me.

by Anonymousreply 10March 20, 2021 11:19 AM

He looks like such a QUEEN.

by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2021 12:00 PM

Hey, Meghan Markle, another comrade for your biracial liberation front is here.

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2021 12:09 PM

I wonder if he was white passing like Dean Cain, Keanu Reeves or the late Brandon Lee would he be talking about this.

by Anonymousreply 13March 20, 2021 12:26 PM

This decade sucks.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2021 12:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2021 12:33 PM

[Quote]but no one cares whether you're Asian or not

Except when you're on Grindr, Scruff, and other similar apps.

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2021 12:37 PM

R10 I have never read the book. I've seen the movie a couple of times and it's an ok movie to watch to pass the time.

On the topic of YA novels, there is a novel called Eleanor&Park, which featured a half white/half Korean main character. Some critics and readers accused the author Rainbow Rowell of racism because how the character's Korean mother was portrayed. The writer was also accused of racism towards black people with how a couple of minor characters portrayed. The book was optioned for a film. I wouldn't' be surprised if the film project gets shelved,

by Anonymousreply 17March 20, 2021 12:38 PM

He’s hot

by Anonymousreply 18March 20, 2021 1:03 PM

Does he have a white boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2021 5:04 PM

Charles Melton vs. Ross Butler

Which is hotter?

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2021 5:08 PM

He should have a biracial black/white girlfriend and publicize more grievances.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2021 5:09 PM

I thought Charles Melton was the being sued for conspiring to kill Courtney Love's former son-in-law, but that's Ross Butler who Melton replaced on "Riverdale". Melton is the one who had to apologize for his tweets about fat people.

[quote]Charles Melton vs. Ross Butler

Butler. Melton looks like Hot Squidward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote] I’ve often been told that I’m not Asian enough. Not white enough. And I question whether I am enough at all. I am conflicted by my racial identities and the trauma that comes with that.

Well that explains the extensive cosmetic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 23March 20, 2021 5:19 PM

Let me guess...white girlfriend or boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 24March 20, 2021 5:25 PM

That's the hot guy from the Ariana Grande video.

by Anonymousreply 25March 20, 2021 5:33 PM

Both sides were against him since the day he was born.

by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2021 5:38 PM

R23, not everyone who’s handsome has had surgery.

If you’re insecure and envious, get surgery yourself.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2021 5:44 PM

Darren Criss should keep quiet. He was only recently bragging about being “lucky” to be able to pass as white (untrue he can though).

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2021 5:47 PM

Wait, did he think we didn’t know he was Asian? Is he blind?

Take out your cock, boy!

by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] Except when you're on Grindr, Scruff, and other similar apps.

Right, they’re in high demand.

by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2021 5:50 PM

So, um, is BLM going to put up with Asians stealing their thunder? The black community has been at war with Asians in the US for decades.

by Anonymousreply 31March 20, 2021 5:52 PM

R29, no it’s that he didn’t stand up for his being half Asian while growing up. Of course he’s clearly part Asian: he replaced an actor who’s fullly Asian.

R30, r16, is saying people on apps “care” whether someone is Asian because they’ll avoid those people. You’re just dense.

by Anonymousreply 32March 20, 2021 5:52 PM

R31, of course. They’re already attacking Asians on social media.

by Anonymousreply 33March 20, 2021 5:53 PM

I’m going to hump my pillow to his pics now.

by Anonymousreply 34March 20, 2021 5:54 PM

R24, Korean girlfriend now.

by Anonymousreply 35March 20, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] Comments from friends about my house smelling funny because of my mother’s home-cooked Korean meals and kimchi caused me to carry shame.

Kimchi stinks, that's just reality. So now we're not allowed to comment on stinky foods? It's not like they called him names. Get over yourself with this woke shit.

by Anonymousreply 36March 20, 2021 5:56 PM

It’d be nice if BLM truly stood with the Asian community but the hostile history between the two communities go so far back that I don’t think it’s possible, at least not in the long run. It’s sad because so many minority groups are truly under attack.

by Anonymousreply 37March 20, 2021 5:57 PM

R36, he’s saying it caused him to feel ashamed. He’s not saying they were wrong to say it: he’s saying he shouldn’t have felt ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 38March 20, 2021 5:58 PM

He can help by presenting his hole to the community.

by Anonymousreply 39March 20, 2021 5:58 PM

Remember that saying you can’t eat MSG is racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 20, 2021 5:58 PM

MSG in Chinese food isn't unhealthy -- you're just racist, activists say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 20, 2021 5:59 PM

Where’s his cock?

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2021 5:59 PM

R32 Ross Butler is half asian(half White half Chinese-Malaysian).

by Anonymousreply 43March 20, 2021 6:03 PM

My friends said the same about kimchi. They said our ice tasted like kimchi even (it did). I was like “Yup, kimchi is stinky, and we don’t have a kimchi fridge: what are you going to do?”

MSG is great: it’s salt 2.0.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 20, 2021 6:06 PM

R43, thanks. An even better match then.

by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2021 6:06 PM

[[quote] Kimchi stinks, that's just reality. So now we're not allowed to comment on stinky foods? It's not like they called him names. Get over yourself with this woke shit.

That just opens the door for others to return the favor and judge you, your home, and your parents.

A wine bottle on the kitchen counter? Alcoholics!

Not matching furniture? TRASH!

Wall to wall carpet? And you let people in to see that atrocity?

More than three people live in the house? TRASH!

Dad at home watching TV? Trailer, redneck TRASH!

MAGA hat? Get me out of this fucking shithole!

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2021 6:08 PM

He's so coked up at the 1:15 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2021 6:10 PM

R41, activists aren’t saying you’re racist if you don’t like MSG. That’s just CNN’s droll spin. You have to actually read a decent article about it.

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2021 6:11 PM

And as usual this thread is a dumpster fire of old white man racism right from the start.

by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2021 6:14 PM

But it's okay, R 49. It's DL, where ridicule of Asians is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2021 6:16 PM

It’s like Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper talking about BTS on New Year’s Eve in Times Square, R49. Two old farts.

DL is old gay fartdom 💨

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2021 6:17 PM

He looks like a really expensive rent boy.

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2021 6:21 PM

“ I remember even beating everyone to the punch by making Asian jokes before anyone else would.”

Am I cynical to think he may be scared that someone is going to dig up some internet comments he made somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2021 6:23 PM

Any Asians here? Listen to this. It’s excellent. Neither woke nor MAGA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2021 6:23 PM

Is he uncut like most asians?

by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2021 6:24 PM

R52, even more so when he was modeling.

R55, patents are Korean and White American. He’s cut. Most Koreans are not uncut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 20, 2021 6:28 PM

Tell that to his nose and chin, r27

by Anonymousreply 57March 20, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote] So, um, is BLM going to put up with Asians stealing their thunder? The black community has been at war with Asians in the US for decades.

[quote] It’d be nice if BLM truly stood with the Asian community but the hostile history between the two communities go so far back that I don’t think it’s possible, at least not in the long run. It’s sad because so many minority groups are truly under attack.

It would be nice if you weren’t repeatedly attempting to somehow make this about black people. White supremacist continue to attempt to pit nonwhites against each other and that is exactly what you are doing. Because of course we cannot have a conversation about white supremacy and how it is at the root of so much of what is wrong in this country. Instead we have to have these head in ass circle jerk conversations, looking down our noses at nonwhites and affirming idiotic delusional ideas about white superiority. It’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 58March 20, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] It would be nice if you weren’t repeatedly attempting to somehow make this about black people.

Yep, Black Lives Matter has already been blamed for a white man killing Asians.

by Anonymousreply 59March 20, 2021 6:32 PM

I used to confuse him with Ross Butler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 20, 2021 6:33 PM

R57, his nose is busted, what are you talking about?

Again: get surgery if you resent others’ looks. Can’t you afford it? Come to Beverly Hills to do it.

by Anonymousreply 61March 20, 2021 6:43 PM

If R57 thinks Melton’s nose is surgery-perfect, I’m wondering what his own nose looks like. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 62March 20, 2021 6:51 PM

Power bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 20, 2021 6:53 PM

Oh fuck yeah, R63. I’m going to use that pic right now.

by Anonymousreply 64March 20, 2021 6:56 PM

r63, you realize that is completely photoshopped.

by Anonymousreply 65March 20, 2021 7:01 PM

R65, no shit... Whoa... mind blown! /s

by Anonymousreply 66March 20, 2021 7:05 PM

Is he related to hot gymnast Sean Melton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 20, 2021 7:15 PM

What’s with the self loathing Asian here telling people to get plastic surgery, like this actor who went to the doctor and asked the Michael Jackson? Calm down lil dick.

by Anonymousreply 68March 20, 2021 7:35 PM

R68 thinks all Asians in media have had plastic surgery because he’s an ugly resentful fuck who can’t afford any.

by Anonymousreply 69March 20, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote]I’ve often been told that I’m not Asian enough. Not white enough. And I question whether I am enough at all. I am conflicted by my racial identities and the trauma that comes with that.

This reminded me of when Margaret Cho, years ago, told the story about ABC hiring an "Asian Consultant" to make her come across as more "Asian" during her series "All American Girl?"

She, a Korean woman with Korean parents, wasn't considered "Asian" enough to play the role of HERSELF on her own TV show.

[quote]White supremacist continue to attempt to pit nonwhites against each other and that is exactly what you are doing.

Yup, they do it to distract from the fact that the problem for both groups is white supremacy. "If we can get them to fight each other we don't be held accountable!"

by Anonymousreply 70March 20, 2021 7:45 PM

If Asian-americans ever 'woke' up, shed their self-loathing, eagerness to blend into the white majority culture and became a cohesive, unified voting bloc, we'd be VERY worried.

by Anonymousreply 71March 20, 2021 7:53 PM

R71, we don’t care what you think about what we’re doing. We’re earning our educations and building wealth. We’re not whining for either. (We’ll litigate for our rights, for fair play, but that’s actual work.)

We don’t worry about “being disrespected”, discrimination or “headwinds” because we’re crazy busy: we just keep working and building. We’re not whining for daddy to make those headwinds disappear. America is pretty easy. Asia is hard.

We’ll vote how we’ll vote. We’re not a “bloc” because that way sellout “community leaders” can’t even begin to attempt to blind us to our families and our concrete interests.

We’re not worried about “White supremacy” because ****we’re Asian****, and because ****Asia is Asia****. If you don’t know what that means, too bad.

Now go to daddy and keep complaining. Maybe he’ll give you what you want if you throw a tantrum, again and again.

by Anonymousreply 72March 20, 2021 8:21 PM

What happened to his nose?

by Anonymousreply 73March 20, 2021 8:26 PM

R72 just wanted to type his screed, relevance be damned.

by Anonymousreply 74March 20, 2021 8:28 PM

R71 brought it up, R74. Sorry you’re triggered.

by Anonymousreply 75March 20, 2021 8:38 PM

R74 is trying to silence Asian voices. Not cool.

by Anonymousreply 76March 20, 2021 8:39 PM

His nose looks like someone botched a nose job.

by Anonymousreply 77March 20, 2021 8:42 PM

R73, someone ugly here thinks it looks so damn good—not busted, mind you— that it’s the product of surgery.

by Anonymousreply 78March 20, 2021 8:43 PM

I'll get crucified for sharing this on here, but by now I'm used to the trolls on here swooping in and requoting me out of context. My ex is Filipino, and I'll never forget when my parents visited us and we took them to the Filipino market. My mum is naturally very curious, so she was taking her time browsing through the store. So many of the products in the beauty aisle advertised promises of skin whitening. My ex just laughed and said, "Yes, most Filipinos want to be lighter skinned." This was not long after he'd told me he identified as brown-skinned instead of Asian. He can actually pass for Hispanic if he wants to, because of his dark skin and Spanish last name.

The irony of all this is that I just got back from spending an hour at the pool, trying to get darker. (I'm 110% white.) None of this excuses the Asian violence--especially in the last year of Covid--but I think the identity of many 21st century Asian Americans has been to try to fit in with white culture. The examples Charles Melton sites are examples my ex used as well (his mother's home cooking, etc.). My ex also exclusively dates white guys. I'm not making a broad generalization and saying this applies to any and all Asians, because of course it doesn't. But why don't we have more Asian American movie stars? Henry Golding is half white, just like Charles Melton. Whether we like it or not, the actors/actresses mainstream Hollywood uses impacts our perceptions. Kudos to 'Riverdale' for even casting a half Asian guy as Reggie...twice, at that!

by Anonymousreply 79March 20, 2021 9:00 PM

No one has said his nose looks good. People have said it looks like he has had surgery. Which he has. Unsuccessful surgery. Like Jennifer Grey.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2021 3:40 AM

R74 you just know that guy is gonna bust out the N-word

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2021 3:42 AM

I’d eat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2021 4:03 AM

R24 he used to date co-star Camila Mendes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2021 7:32 AM

Good for him. Since we all here stand up against anti-Asian violence, it will be helpful with his platform to call out racism.

by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2021 7:57 AM

R37 Since you've posted TWICE about BLM in this thread, you clearly have something on your mind--besides trolling, I guess?

Care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2021 9:53 AM

Still bothers me that Scruff and Grindr won't allow us to search for others via race. Total bullshit! (Growlr allows you to search by race.)

by Anonymousreply 86March 21, 2021 10:05 AM

I have a question--or an observation.

Do you think people whose looks transcend race--like this guy (e.g. "He's good-looking for a ___ guy"--we've ALL heard that shit) have a different experience with racism than someone who's considered non-descript or average?

In other words, does vanity overcome racism? I'm going with a yes, most definitely, but what are your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2021 10:10 AM

Forgive the hyphen in nondescript

by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2021 10:12 AM

God I hate when people "correct" something immediately after finding a slight error in their previously posted comment. Like wee can't figure that out?!

by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2021 10:14 AM

Sorry, meant "we"

by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2021 10:15 AM

It seem most of Asian men that appear on tv always half-Asian half white.

by Anonymousreply 91March 21, 2021 10:18 AM

Now he’s definitely the kind of Asian I could get with.

by Anonymousreply 92March 21, 2021 10:21 AM

He looks full-blooded Asian to me. I don't see a trace of Caucasian in his looks.

by Anonymousreply 93March 21, 2021 10:42 AM

r89, I believe that's because posters want to correct their typos before they get the "Oh, dear!" grammar and typo Nazi treatment.

by Anonymousreply 94March 21, 2021 10:44 AM

I ain't seent a grammer Nazi in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 95March 21, 2021 10:54 AM

Well, it looks like that nose is a little bit Melton.

by Anonymousreply 96March 21, 2021 11:01 AM

Another half Asian running away from and working hard to erase his Asian roots. Many Asian parents actively encourage their kids to marry white. They're obsessed with assimilating into the dominant character so the wear the quite condescending "model minority" label with pride, only to find out the hard way that the dominant culture only likes them so long as they know their place.

by Anonymousreply 97March 21, 2021 11:06 AM

I knew an Asian-Caucasian mix in college. In the south with the military dad and Asian mom. He constantly announced his ethnicity to everyone and called himself a "redneck Korean." He was actually very preppy and not redneck at all. But I can't understand his actions. God knows how people treated him out in the boondocks.

by Anonymousreply 98March 21, 2021 11:17 AM

Agree with R97. I am Indian and I think America is a great place, where there are opportunities available for people to thrive. If any, Asians and Indians are taking jobs away from other people and the American government is passively allowing it to happen with their lopsided immigration policies, especially democrats. And south Asians judge people based on money, looks, and all sorts of social parameters and discount humanity. My advice is to be very wary of them. And I like Tucker Carlson's commentary about what Chinese diplomats think of white liberals, Baizuo. NYT, WaPo, Buzzfeed, Vox are all staffed by partisans.

by Anonymousreply 99March 21, 2021 11:35 AM

r99, Oh Dee Plorable. I didn't know you are Indian.

by Anonymousreply 100March 21, 2021 11:51 AM

I accidentally liked r99's post. He IS deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 101March 21, 2021 12:09 PM

That's pretty tough talk, r72. We'll believe it when we see it.

And just remember this country only truly became hospitable to the "working and building" of Asians for their own benefit after the Civil Rights victories of its indigenous minority group. Hopefully, all of your hubris and effort can benefit non-Asians just as you've benefited from the heavy lifting done by other minorities.

by Anonymousreply 102March 21, 2021 5:27 PM

“Indigenous” minority groups?

You’re using that incorrectly, R102. Blacks are not indigenous.

And Korematsu and the families of Chinese lynching victims in California also fought for their rights.

You need to learn more.

We’re determined, and not whiners, apart from the bobas. And we’re not scared of people like you.

by Anonymousreply 103March 21, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote] Blacks are not indigenous.

Blacks ARE indigenous to America. African slaves arrived on this continent no later than 1619. America didn't exist until more than 150 years later -- Blacks had built the place by then.

R103, I live in California, I know plenty about Asian migration to this continent. If you are really Asian I don't want to argue. I have no quarrel with Asian-americans and you certainly have no reason to be "scared of people like [me]." However, you do have reason to be fearful of people who are not like me.

As per the 'awakening' of the young actor who is the subject of this thread, we all have some prejudice to overcome.

by Anonymousreply 104March 21, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote] Do you think people whose looks transcend race--like this guy (e.g. "He's good-looking for a ___ guy"--we've ALL heard that shit) have a different experience with racism than someone who's considered non-descript or average?

In a word, yes. He had the privilege of being able to downplay his being part-Asian. Time will tell how his new-found feelings will translate to actions.

by Anonymousreply 105March 21, 2021 6:42 PM

Except for his nose, I think he's gorgeous. Do you think his desire to improve it was driven to fit into the American beauty standard or he just hated it himself? Anyone have a pic of him before the hatchet job?

by Anonymousreply 106March 21, 2021 7:06 PM

He could get it any time.

by Anonymousreply 107March 21, 2021 7:14 PM

r106, somebody posted a pic of a magazine cover upthread (response to "expensive rent boy"), and it appears to be his original nose- full bridge and projection, but It was still a great nose. in the behind the scenes of Ariana's video, it actually looks like it was broken and re-set crookedly- you can see it when he looks down. Actually, he might have gotten two nose jobs (or a nose job and a broken nose)- it appears smaller and straighter with a full bridge in the Camilla pic at r83 from his original nose, but now it's crooked, missing part of the bridge, and upturned.

by Anonymousreply 108March 21, 2021 7:36 PM

Okay, his nose was always crooked, which is interesting that they couldn't fix it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 21, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote] no shit

Then why waste our time by showing us a fake?

by Anonymousreply 110March 21, 2021 7:44 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 21, 2021 7:45 PM

r111, isn't that what the guy who started Lululemon said?

by Anonymousreply 112March 21, 2021 7:48 PM

Charles Melton who I first remembered appearing nude on American Horror Story: Hotel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 21, 2021 8:47 PM

I see nothing wrong with his nose. Super hot and handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 114March 21, 2021 11:48 PM

R89 So...kill yourself. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 115March 22, 2021 9:22 AM

[quote]We don’t worry about “being disrespected”, discrimination or “headwinds” because we’re crazy busy: we just keep working and building. We’re not whining for daddy to make those headwinds disappear. America is pretty easy. Asia is hard.

Well, you certainly seem to be worried NOW as you should. I hate to be THAT guy--and I’m only comfortable being so because you seem like a real TWAT--but you’re about to get your “N-Wake Up Call” as the great Paul Mooney would say.

Welcome to the club.

by Anonymousreply 116March 22, 2021 9:42 AM

That's an Asian nose, assholes. Maybe if you'd date someone besides crackers, you'd be more worldly. He's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 117March 22, 2021 12:14 PM

R117 called it correctly

by Anonymousreply 118March 22, 2021 1:36 PM

r117, look at r109's picture- that's his original nose, and he's still gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 119March 22, 2021 1:39 PM

Reggie kissed a man (Kevin's fiancé) on a recent Riverdale, but apparently it didn't go anywhere...

by Anonymousreply 120March 22, 2021 2:06 PM

R113 thanks for posting Posey as well.

by Anonymousreply 121March 22, 2021 2:20 PM

R104, you're just desperate. I take it verbal didn't go well?

[quote] Indigenous peoples, also referred to as First people, Aboriginal people, Native people, or autochthonous people, are culturally distinct ethnic groups who are native to a particular place. The term indigenous was first in its modern context by Europeans who used it to differentiate the indigenous peoples of the Americas from black people who were brought to the Americas as slaves from Africa. It may have first been used in this context by Sir Thomas Browne in 1646, who stated "and although in many parts thereof there be at present swarms of Negroes serving under the Spaniard, yet were they all transported from Africa, since the discovery of Columbus; and are not indigenous or proper natives of America."[1][2]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 22, 2021 3:02 PM

R108, it's called Photoshop. It's a magazine cover. Don't be a rube.

His nose was busted even as a toddler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 22, 2021 3:12 PM

R123 Were there abuse issues on the home?

by Anonymousreply 124March 22, 2021 3:46 PM

THANK YOU, R122.

R104: Your first sentence is a steaming load of shit. You don't understand the definition of indigenous. The ONLY people indigenous to the U.S. are Native American tribes (Apache, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Comanche, Hopi, Iroquois, Navajo, Seminole, Sioux, Yaqui, etc. etc.), whose ancestors lived here for thousands of years. European colonizers and the black slaves they brought to America by force were immigrants. 400 years of black history and 600+ years of European history in the U.S. are NOTHING compared to the 15,000 year history of Native Americans. Based on genetic evidence, many scientists believe the ancestors of Native Americans settled even earlier in North America: 30,000 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 125March 22, 2021 5:17 PM

^Correction: 400 years of black history and 600+ years of European history in [italic]what is now called[/italic] the U.S. are nothing compared to the 15,000 year history of Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 126March 22, 2021 5:26 PM

Why don't you come by for a cocktail and my caring shoulder on which you can cry. I like them hot and confused.

by Anonymousreply 127March 22, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote] Many Asian parents actively encourage their kids to marry white.

Uh, no they don’t. You have absolutely NO idea what you’re talking about. Asian parents want their kids to marry white as much as black parents want their kids to marry white.

by Anonymousreply 128March 22, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] [R104]: Your first sentence is a steaming load of shit. You don't understand the definition of indigenous. The ONLY people indigenous to the U.S. are Native American tribes...

Oh, God...there's two of you?!

Blacks are indigenous to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. That is clear. I did not say they were indigenous to the CONTINENT or the HEMISPHERE. The economy and infrastructure of the U.S. was built on the slave labor of Black people. Black Americans are not African. It is a culture, language, heritage and unfortunate history distinct from Africans. As a culture and ethnicity Black Americans were "born" in the U.S. and they are indigenous to the soil of America.

On that topic, you can split hairs with someone else.

This discussion is about a mixed-race Asian actor who in 2021 has said he will more fully acknowledge his Asian ancestry and stand up to the violence against others of Asian ancestry. Some folks have (again) seized this thread to unleash racial animus against Blacks. I don't even know if the posters are actually Asian so I will desist from this part of the discussion. Since High School, I have had many Asian and Asian-american friends and colleagues -- YES, I know how that sounds -- and I harbor no ill will against Asians and/or Asian-americans as a collective.

The recent violence against Asians has been perpetrated by white people. The time and energy of the Asian community is best used standing up to them, and standing up for others who are vilified by racism.

by Anonymousreply 129March 22, 2021 7:48 PM

R129 Dude, give it up, you don’t really seem to understand what the word indigenous means.

by Anonymousreply 130March 22, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote]Blacks are indigenous to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. That is clear. I did not say they were indigenous to the CONTINENT or the HEMISPHERE. The economy and infrastructure of the U.S. was built on the slave labor of Black people. Black Americans are not African. It is a culture, language, heritage and unfortunate history distinct from Africans. As a culture and ethnicity Black Americans were "born" in the U.S. and they are indigenous to the soil of America.

There's about to be three people but let me try this approach.

I think what you're saying is very noble. I like the core of it and I appreciate it. This country was built with black labor and also chinese labor and both groups got very little to nothing in return.

However, indigenous traditionally means that the group occurred naturally in the area that they currently reside in. It doesn't matter if people are black or African (yes, both cultures are different) black people are indigenous to Africa.

Native Americans are indigenous to North and South America. Meaning: there was a never a time when they weren't here.

You could take a group of black people in the early 1800s, put them in Japan, fast forward to 2021 and anyone alive and still related to that group who is black, even if they never left Asia, will still not be indigenous to Asia.

by Anonymousreply 131March 22, 2021 8:01 PM

[quote] For 2 years, my FATHER was deployed and FOUGHT FOR OUT COUNTRY, leading soldiers in IRAQ and Afghanistan. He dedicated most of his life to our FREEDOM. I recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I always thought of myself as a proud American citizen who was grateful for my civil liberties. What could be more American than having a father who risked his life to serve and protect my country? Over these past few months, I’ve reexamined my roots. With that, I’ve been thinking a lot about my MOTHER.

Charles Melton is a low-IQ cro-magnon. His dad so-called "fought for Murica's freedom" by flying over to another continent & illegally invading & occupying Iraq's land in ASIA (a far-away continent). That ain't "freedom", that's neo-colonial fascism.

[quote] Riverdale’ Star Charles Melton on Anti-Asian Hate Crimes: ‘I Failed to Defend My Heritage'

[quote] I remember people talking down to my Mother as if she didn’t belong. It demeaned her and in turn triggered something in me that I’ve long buried deep inside. A truth that at my young age, I didn’t know how to protect Her

Afghanistan & Iraq are located in West Asia. It's ironic that Melton is decrying "anti-Asian hate crimes" - but is apparently ok with his own (white) Dad flying over to b0mb two Asian countries. Apparently Melton only cares about people being "mean" to his mom. *Eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 132March 23, 2021 12:24 AM

Dean Cain is another half Asian actor who's always worked hard to erase all traces of Asianess. He presents as a white man; all his relationships and associations have been white. Every single role he's ever played has been white. To the point of identifying with the Republican Party, the real party of whiteness. I'd love to see his face if someone suggests he plays an Asian character. Lot's of self-hate and shame, there.

by Anonymousreply 133March 23, 2021 6:39 AM

[quote] To the point of identifying with the Republican Party, the real party of whiteness.

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 134March 23, 2021 7:01 AM

Dean Cain always mentions, at least in interviews in the 90s, that he hates his Asian dad for walking out on his mom. I assumed that that was also his excuse to reject his Asian heritage.

by Anonymousreply 135March 23, 2021 9:25 AM

R135 bet Dean blames his dad for being a Dump supporter too.

by Anonymousreply 136March 23, 2021 10:12 AM

[quote] Oh, God...there's two of you?! Blacks are indigenous to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. That is clear.

Make that four. My God, you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 137March 23, 2021 10:24 AM

Native Americans came from asia

by Anonymousreply 138March 23, 2021 10:56 AM

I mean...I cannot even imagine looking at a guy THIS handsome and thinking that he needs to do something about his nose. It truly boggles my mind.

Are gays EVER satisfied?

by Anonymousreply 139March 23, 2021 11:31 AM

[quote]Oh, God...there's two of you?! Blacks are indigenous to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. That is clear.

And I really don’t even care about this dumb argument BUT there are theories about Native Americans with African heritage being the first to settle. However, they wouldn't be considered "Black." They'd be considered Native Americans with African heritage.

by Anonymousreply 140March 23, 2021 11:47 AM

KJ Apa may have you hear r34 lol but KJ is said to supposedly have framed picture of Charles in his bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 141March 23, 2021 11:48 AM

[Quote] Are gays EVER satisfied?

You already know the answer to that.

by Anonymousreply 142March 23, 2021 2:11 PM

The thing is that even pretty guys struggle with insecurities and other issues. Most of us, gay or straight / ugly or pretty / rich or poor / etc, are raised to believe that, at best, we are not worthy or, at worst, irredeemably broken. Then we grow into teens and adults who believe something is so wrong with us that we need material things, play petty mind games, cheat, steal, hide parts of ourselves (like being gay), get plastic surgery, etc. to compensate for our flaws, so we might have a chance of getting what we believe we desire (like, approval from our peers).

The sad truth is that most of us live mentally toxic lives where we see ourselves as not worthy, not enough. And we do destructive things to ourselves and others as a result.

by Anonymousreply 143March 23, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote]For two years, my father was deployed and fought for our country, leading soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

No, he didn't fight for this country, you stupid asshole. He fought wars based on lies because cockroach Neocons sitting in DC sent him for special interest. Iraq certainly didn't prevent your stupid ass from "freedumz."

by Anonymousreply 144March 23, 2021 3:33 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 27, 2021 8:00 AM

This guy is amazing looking. He hit the jackpot! WTF is he complaining about?

by Anonymousreply 146March 27, 2021 8:21 AM

I'm hoping in the series finale that Archie, Kevin, and Jughead have a threeway and live as a throuple.

by Anonymousreply 147March 27, 2021 8:31 AM

[quote][R55], patents are Korean and White American. He’s cut. Most Koreans are not uncut.

It is South Koreans who circumcise, and that is due to heavy American influence following the Korean War.

by Anonymousreply 148March 27, 2021 11:06 AM

R146 are you talking about Charles Melton or Christopher Sean @ R145 who has in the past said some similar things like what Charles Melton has said like about how he wasn't considered White enough or Asian enough for certain roles or about his dad serving in the military to defend America.

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2021 4:54 PM

R149 I'm talking about whoever it is in the first photo. I've heard of Riverdale but have never watched it. Just googled Christopher Sean, not familiar with him.

by Anonymousreply 150March 28, 2021 5:21 AM

I can’t believe the number of negative posts here. I expected the racists to show up, but not to see so little support for Melton.

I thought his letter was sincere, authentic, and moving. I don’t know how anyone can read it and not feel something for him and for the entire Asian community.

by Anonymousreply 151March 28, 2021 5:54 AM

Former DL fave Christopher Sean recently once again mentioned about how difficult it has been for him to get roles because like Charles Melton he was being told that he wasn't Asian or White enough for certain roles. Also like Charles Melton his father was in the military and went to war to defend America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2021 5:31 PM

Must be so hard being hot and white passing enough.

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2021 5:36 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2021 6:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 21, 2021 7:22 PM

Has he actually done anything about this situation? Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 156May 21, 2021 7:42 PM

What’s up Shay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 29, 2021 1:46 PM

Most Eurasians/Amerasians are considered to be white.

by Anonymousreply 158July 29, 2021 1:54 PM

"In other words, does vanity overcome racism? I'm going with a yes, most definitely, but what are your thoughts?"

They're not as shallow as yours.

by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2021 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!