Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Real World Homecoming - Part 2

The original thread has been paywalled since 3/15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2021 4:58 PM

Link to part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote]Shit, they are teaching Becky a lesson and as much as I like her, it’s a lesson that she needs to learn.

She isn’t interested in listening or learning.

What’s happening with Norm next week?

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2021 1:06 AM

Norman is enormous!

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2021 1:31 AM

This episode seemed too edited. It was difficult to get what both sides were saying because the whole argument wasn’t shown. It seems like Becky was trying to say how they were basically saying the same thing back in the 90s and how shes had some experience with other cultures and Kevin was talking about how everyone is racist and we can all grow. I am glad Becky left. It did seem like Kevin was trying to get a good sound bite in. Becky didn’t deserve that.

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2021 3:10 AM

I watched the first season when it originally aired, back when fighting and bitching wasn’t 70% of TV shows and news media. Dredging up these nobodies adds nothing to the current din of reality bullshit programming. Listening to these cunts yammer would just make my head hurt.

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2021 3:37 AM

Becky was obviously telling a story about a group of people she was so familiar with that she didn't feel skin color, which is how it is when it's not an issue or a topic of conversation with friends.

Kevin seems to think it's an issue no matter how close people of different races are, which isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2021 3:44 AM

R5 your head seems pretty hurt as is

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2021 3:44 AM

R484 in the other thread:

[quote]Becky is able to view the subject with nuance. Kevin wants her to see things through his experience and labels her racist since she can’t.

Becky is unable to view the subject with nuance, that’s the problem, she can’t see beyond her own experience.

[quote]At one point in his argument, he said he considered it racist if a white person said they have black friends.

That’s not what he said. He was talking about so-called innocence by association and how people saying they have black friends doesn’t mean they aren’t racist just like someone saying they have gay friends doesn’t automatically mean they aren’t homophobic.

What’s happening with Norm next week? I guess I need to watch the preview again.

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2021 2:22 PM
by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2021 9:31 PM

Kevin should have dropped the subject. He has said he has learned a lot about how to engage with people, but he hasn't learned or chose not to just say, "We agree to disagree" and move on. Becky was high key childish for leaving when Julie and Norman tried to show her there were no hard feelings. To toss off the line about how their friendship wasn't real just because they held her feet to the fire for a bit was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2021 8:01 PM

Becky shouldn’t have responded to the bait. The only way not to lose is just to lie and agree that everything Kevin says make sense somehow. The other cast members understood what they were supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2021 8:27 PM

Rebecca and her IG nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2021 11:58 PM

Who would have guessed that Becky would turn out to be the smartest of the group.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2021 1:22 AM

I didn’t have a favorite during the original run but Becky was definitely my least favorite and after these first four episodes she’s still at the bottom of my list.

I’ve never been able to get a good read on Andre, is he just quiet?

Norman was pissed the fuck off at the end of episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2021 9:48 PM

Those feet are disgusting and make me want to slit my wrists.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]I’ve never been able to get a good read on Andre, is he just quiet?

He's just quiet. I would be the Andre in the house. I'll chime in on conversation but I'm not one to chat away. It's funny how in the first episode of this season he wanted to rectify how he didn't seem to engage much or have his personality more on display, but it's the same this season.

It's juvenile of Becky to toss 29 years of friendship aside because she was told to shut up. It's her right to be mad, but is it really that serious to ignore Norm. It's obvious she responded to Julie because she banked on white woman solidarity.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2021 11:32 PM

Norman fucked Charles Perez on the pool table.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2021 11:55 PM

I don’t remember any of these people. I was over this show around 1996.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2021 11:59 PM

From the other thread:

[quote]Kevin and Becky are truly more alike than either will admit

I disagree, Becky can’t/wont see past herself. Kevin even said it’s not about you, it’s about all of is and she just didn’t get it. I have to watch it again but even Julie was somewhat frustrated with her during their talk but she didn't have the energy to push it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2021 11:50 PM

Kevin is the kind of person you just nod your head and agree with everything he says and then move on to another subject.

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2021 12:35 AM

I thought Norm was sexy and I still do.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2021 1:29 AM

Norm was cute as hell in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2021 1:37 AM

Norm was literally all we had at that time.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2021 1:46 AM

Did episode 5 air yet? i didn't see it on my streaming site.

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2021 2:01 AM

Is that Rita Moreno in Op's link? I'm not following any of this, but she looks like a younger Moreno.

by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]Did episode 5 air yet? i didn't see it on my streaming site.

It aired.

[quote]Kevin is the kind of person you just nod your head and agree with everything he says and then move on to another subject.

I can't believe they have managed to stretch this Becky vs. the house storyline across so many episodes. They gave her too much air. Heather and Andre have the right idea -just let it die. Becky is insufferable and Kevin is also, to a lesser degree. Some people won't ever come around and you have to just let them be.

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2021 2:28 AM

R24 it’s there

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2021 2:28 AM

I think I wrote this on the other thread, but Kevin is the type of person who is always ready for an activist lecture. Not that he's usually right about things and makes some important points, but JFC dial it back, man! People like this have to turn everything into a screed about their particular cause. Sometimes you're just like "for fuck's sake, can't we just talk about Game Of Thrones or Star Wars or something? I just want to relax and drink some booze here and I really don't feel like taking on The Problems Of the World right now."

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2021 3:21 AM

R25 My impression as well! Is that Becky? Jesus, Father Time is a vindictive relative.

by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2021 4:15 AM

I haven't seen ep. 5 on any of my streaming sites yet.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2021 4:16 AM

I want them to do the LA cast next.

They all hated one another with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2021 3:14 PM

According to Jon, it might happen with all 9 cast members r31

by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2021 3:21 PM

I thought Ruthie died, but apparently she's still alive!

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2021 6:07 PM

They're spending WAY too much time on this argument.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2021 12:51 AM

The LA cast is the only other cast I want to see reunite. This reunion series has been fantastic

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2021 8:20 AM

I thought the LA cast mostly hated each other and the blonde guy and the Irish guy wanted nothing to do with reality TV.

(admittedly, I haven’t paid attention to this cast since the 90s so obviously a lot of time has passed and this could have changed)

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2021 1:43 PM

[quote]According to Jon, it might happen with all 9 cast members

Not that Tami wouldn't do it as she's been on reality shows forever at this point, but she would want to be the star. I can see her being insufferable.

Anyway the only person who really made it from that season is David because his small part in Dave Chappelle's HALF-BAKED lives on in gif form.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2021 5:04 PM

Made it? Were they all in the entertainment industry? Most of them were is school for careers not in the entertainment industry. So I don’t know how they wouldn’t have made it.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2021 6:12 PM

The only ones who wanted to be in the entertainment industry as a career in that cast were David, Tami and Beth S.

Tami would be the most successful. She’s still on TV making her $$$ and she has had many memes and gifs go viral from Basketball Wives.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2021 6:49 PM

Becky can be out of touch, tone deaf and elitist, but Kevin can also be a Grade-A asshole. God, everything is a lecture with him. You ask him what the weather is and he can turn it into a lecture. Chill the fuck out, dude!

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2021 4:23 AM

i think Hawaii would be an interesting one. Amaya was a grade A drama queen and then there's Ruthie. Teck was interesting as well.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2021 4:33 AM

Has anyone watched the new season of the Challenge? I have watched the Real World & Road Rules but never any of the Challenge shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2021 10:09 PM

R41 that was on the list but scrapped for now because Amaya went on Twitter and said MTV called her to do a reunion show. So MTV canned it for now because she spilled it.

by Anonymousreply 43April 8, 2021 2:25 AM

Dig up Pedro.

by Anonymousreply 44April 8, 2021 3:40 AM

'The Real World: Homecoming' finale shows how easily a '90s Becky becomes a 'Karen'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 8, 2021 8:48 PM

I used to love the song, Don’t Dream it’s Over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 8, 2021 9:58 PM

From R45’s article sums up the Becky/Karen situation well:

[quote]their antics and feelings about how people respond to their racist behavior ends up taking up most of the attention, rather than the racism itself.

by Anonymousreply 47April 8, 2021 9:59 PM

I like that Kevin said he learned more about the roommates during the reunion than he did during the original show because this time he was listening.

by Anonymousreply 48April 8, 2021 10:02 PM

I loved how deep the convo they had after Kevin and Beckys phone call got. They all were on the same page and all seem pretty over her.

by Anonymousreply 49April 8, 2021 10:31 PM

I wonder what Becky thinks now that they’ve aired? I mean, if she had time to watch them in between jet setting to her next luxury locale.

by Anonymousreply 50April 8, 2021 11:45 PM

Becky was just really tone deaf, talking about her luxury lifestyle (has she ever worked a real job?) in a group of people who really don't have the same opportunities as her. That's a mistake that a lot of wealthy people make.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Agreed, she talked like someone that has never worked unless she was bored or it was something that was her "passion" in life, and her life was pretty much all travel and going to the chateau in the country. That sounds like someone who just doesn't realize her lifestyle is the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2021 12:36 AM

I think Becky had no clue how she was coming off. If she actually has watched the episodes, I imagine she was mortified.

Really sad.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2021 12:44 AM

Exactly r53. She's not a bad person, but bragging about how you can just pick up and spend a month in France and a month in Italy and travel around like the idle rich is only something that should be discussed amongst people who also share your lifestyle, and nobody else. When somebody talks like that with people who work full-time for a living and have other responsibilities that take up their time, it just comes off as so insensitive and elitist. Becky, like a lot of people of her socioeconomic class, can be shockingly clueless about how they come across.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2021 12:49 AM

Completely agree r54 with everything you said. it's one thing to say "i've gone rock-climbing too" and another to say "we decided that we wanted to rock climb in the swiss alps for a week and stayed at the most fabulous chalet there with its own onsite chef."

Match your conversation to your audience.

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2021 1:31 AM

Looking at the flashback scenes, I never realized how attractive Andre was back then. He was really beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2021 2:34 AM

Regardless of what Becky may or may not be, Kevin is exhausting and unlikable. Think the rest just "yessed" the guy so they don't have to get dragged into his rabbit hole to hell.

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2021 3:05 AM

This could have been a 90-minute special instead of six episodes. The great part of the original season was that the cast members were constantly out exploring New York and going places.

Real World Homecoming has them taking a couple of contrived walks with bystanders holding up their phones recording.

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2021 3:27 AM

It was January during a pandemic, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2021 8:24 AM

R59 and....

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2021 2:56 PM

R60 doesn’t live in the real world, apparently

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2021 3:01 PM

R61 this only makes sense to you, apparently

by Anonymousreply 62April 9, 2021 3:02 PM

Still doesn't take away the fact this was completely boring with them sitting around looking at their phones and a TV monitor, and two cast members not around. No need for six episodes of that.

by Anonymousreply 63April 9, 2021 3:04 PM

I didn’t find it boring at all.

by Anonymousreply 64April 9, 2021 3:27 PM

Does Becky come from money or did she marry into it?

by Anonymousreply 65April 9, 2021 3:38 PM

Didn’t realize we have another thread going. Here’s what I posted in the original thread:

An authentic, revealing, and bittersweet return to the show that can be credited with catapulting reality television into the mainstream. It also serves as a reminder of what reality tv can be at its best: a mirror held up to both the shifting times of any era and the people that contribute to those shifts, while also serving as a kaleidoscopic reflection of ourselves.

I really loved this.

Final Grade: A+

by Anonymousreply 66April 9, 2021 4:36 PM

R65 she comes from it and married into it. Both.

by Anonymousreply 67April 9, 2021 4:40 PM

Becky is/was married? I didn't catch that.

by Anonymousreply 68April 9, 2021 5:45 PM

Real World Homecoming - HARD B-

by Anonymousreply 69April 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Does Becky have kids?

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2021 1:44 PM

The ghost of John Lennon should have stopped Becky from her Karen moment. Becky likes drama and probably loved everyone reaching out to her. Total passive aggressive. She seems like she wants people to chase after her. She’s probably stunned they were are all ultimately ok to move on without her.

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2021 1:52 PM

R70 no

by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2021 1:57 PM

r72 sounds about right, she would probably not handle the attention not being all on her very well

by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2021 4:45 PM

Becky and more passive aggressive nonsense on her IG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2021 4:52 PM

r74 omg. Note that she only has 25 likes for that post.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2021 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!