Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to buy bitcoins?

Ok I'm a convert. I'm intending to buy some BTC .

Can someone describe the steps to do it?

It's not something that you can buy on Vanguard, is it? So how do I do it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191May 12, 2021 10:51 PM

Step 1: Download the Coinbase app to your phone and create an account.

Bitcoin is already above $60,000, crazy. I think it would be beneficial to buy a little Bitcoin here and there over time.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2021 4:47 AM

COINBASE is a criminal enterprise.

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2021 4:50 AM

OP = Bitcoin Shyster hyping the product he claims to not know how to purchase. ?.....And yet he is a "convert"?.....Nope.....Solved it....What do I win?

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2021 4:50 AM

R3 is an idiot. Hyping btc on datalounge, where the world's finance community meets. Yeah sounds like a genius idea!

Thanks r1. I heard you also need a "cold" wallet. How do you connect your wallet and the exchange? I'm not sure I understand how that works.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2021 4:59 AM

R2, what? Coinbase is simply an exchange. You exchange your USD (fiat) for cryptocurrency. That's it

OP, If you buy Bitcoin on Coinbase, you should move it to a wallet. You can buy a Ledger Nano on Amazon, some people use Gemini, you can do your research.

by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2021 5:02 AM

R4 = DataLounge is where the "world's finance community" meets?......HILARIOUS.....What site are YOU on?........DL should beware "get rich quick" schemes that coincide with the Stimulus Checks release dates. Bitcoin Hooligans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2021 5:07 AM

I still don’t get it. How do you buy Bitcoin and how do you keep it save. More importantly, how do you cash it?

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2021 5:21 AM

"Prepare to lose all your money"........"Investing in an asset as volatile as the cryptocurrency market is always a risk. The UK's Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has warned electronic currency investors that they are in danger of losing all their money. According to analysts, investment risks are compounded by scam activity ."..........Link Provided.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2021 5:28 AM

Buy a Time Machine and go back to 2018. Like when I sat with my money guy and decided NOT to buy Bitcoin. Or Ethereum. Or Tesla (then. I've since bought.).

Otherwise, $60K, really? Look, I know some are predicting $1M, but even so, $60K?!

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2021 6:21 AM

R9, I meant I bought some Tesla, not the others.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2021 6:22 AM

R6 You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2021 7:03 AM

Don't listen to R9. In 2018 he would have said the peak was in 2017 and you missed it.

The best time to buy bitcoin was yesterday. The second best is today. That doesn't mean you have to put your whole portfolio in it but it's smart to have some exposure to it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2021 7:05 AM

Bitcoin is just one of many cryptocurrencies. Find one that's new- maybe you can buy cheap and end up a millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2021 8:00 AM

Cashing out is not easy, and all of it is tracked by the IRS so you will get taxed on whatever you make once you sell it. It's really just a more risky stock in a way that exists only in the cloud. Very, very risky but some will make a lot of money off it, some will lose. And it's not insured like stocks in that if a brokerage did something wrong they could be held accountable. With bitcoin, if the company that sold it to you gets hacked, which has happened to the tune of 40 million dollars just a year ago, you are shit out of luck. Not their problem they got hacked to pay you back.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2021 8:04 AM

You can buy & sell Bitcoin through your PayPal account. Not recommending, it just looks like the easiest way.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2021 8:37 AM

[quote] Cashing out is not easy,

Jesus Christ. You don't even know what you are talking about. You can buy and sell it, like any other stock on Robin Hood. You don't need some wallet. You don't need paypal

Go to Robin Hood. It's free. You will transfer money in and they let you buy immediately. I think they float $1,000. Most other brokerage accounts make a new client wait a few days to transfer the money in

If you want to buy, you buy it when it's low (when it dips). Bitcoin is at $58,100 now, that's high. I wouldn't buy in

You really do need to read up on it. It's not something you have to rush into. It goes up and down. You will be able to see a graph of what it has sold for over the past 5 yrs

If you are hoping to jump in and make money when a stock is climbing and then get out, you have to know what you are doing. The price fluctuates every second. You need to have a strategy for when you are going to get out. You need to have a goal (a number in mind)

I just have a feeling you are thinking you can jump in and make quick money. Don't believe all the hype

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2021 8:53 AM

[quote]Go to Robin Hood.

Oh you mean the same company that put a hold on small users buying and selling Game Stop so the big mega companies would be protected from their own game? That company fucked their customers over. That's your great advice? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2021 9:03 AM

All of you anti- crypto freaks are hysterical.

Take a look at the history.

Crypto is the future. Not just BTC.

And yes, it will be a 5 million dollar coin in 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2021 11:14 AM

[quote] Take a look at the history. Crypto is the future.

Um.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2021 11:17 AM

Um, R19- even though it has decreased over and over----the lows keep INCREASING.

Do some research.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2021 11:30 AM

Why is it worth anything at all? Can one of you converts explain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2021 12:31 PM

R21, why is fiat worth anything?

Its better than fiat as there is a finate amount. Our inflation rate will continue to increase bc the govt just prints money. There is NO printing BTC. It stops at 21 million. Period.

BTC allows us all to take the power away from the banks and back into our pockets. It is DECENTRALIZED.

Oh, and the transactions are amazing. Bank transaction errors? Horrid.

Many more reasons, DYOR.

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2021 12:37 PM

BtW, R21----the ONLY people/companies that continue to find reasons NOT to use BTC are the same that will lose money from it.

Although now, most see its a losing battle. Which is why they are investing in it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2021 12:39 PM

MANA anyone? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2021 12:45 PM

Just because it's finite doesn't make it valuable. Albino alligators and three-eyed fish are rare, but they're not worth $55,000.

BTC investors seem to think that all national currencies can collapse and governments will be forced to adopt BTC as a medium of exchange. Good luck with that. They'll regulate it out of existence first. World government are not going to cede all their power to Elon Musk and the Winkelvi.

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2021 12:46 PM

If you live in NY state, most crypto exchanges won't allow you to open an account. In NY you need a bitlicense, which most of these exchanges don't have. Anchor USD services NY state residents and they have pretty much all of the alt coins that are available on the open market right now. However, like Robinhood, Anchor doesn't sell the actual coin, only shares in the coin but you can still cash out your coins for the current rate. They also offer a very high rate of interest.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2021 12:48 PM

R24, yeah, it has promise. I bought some yesterday and made profit. Gonna move it and get more Theta.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2021 12:49 PM

OP, if you're just looking to invest in Bitcoin and not hold bitcoin itself, the easiest way is through ETFs: BTTC or EBIT are two of them. You buy and sell them like any other stock but their value is based on Bitcoin's value.

Of course, it defeats the whole purpose of holding something separate from cash or stocks, which is why most people buy Bitcoin.

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2021 12:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2021 12:51 PM

R25, you are guilty of a false equivalence argument.

Alligators have no use cases. At least none that the average human can exercise as utility. BTC does. Lots.

Nope. This investor does not see a universal collapse. But, just like those that thought the internet was going to be short lived..they don't see how BTC will be a ubiquitous element in our society. And other alts. LIke Theta.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2021 12:52 PM

DON'T go with COINBASE..I set up an account with them a few yrs ago and bought both some BC and BCL...all of a sudden my account shows ZERO. There's NO way to get a hold of them in real life and forget trying to deal with them online. I feel so ripped off at this point

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2021 12:55 PM

Lol, R29. Apparently, he also speculated that that haircut was a good idea.

Ppl have been saying this since BTC hit 100 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2021 12:55 PM

Robinhood is an easy app to buy through, too

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2021 12:56 PM

Gemini is a good exchange.

Always best to download a wallet (like ATomic--which also has a built in exchange). The wallet lets YOU keep your coins. On an exchange, they have the keys. In a wallet JUST YOU have the keys.

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2021 1:03 PM

Does Gemini have a wallet?

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2021 1:06 PM

Also, R29---he is a SHORTER. OF COURSE he is going to say this. He probably lost MILLIONS shorting BTC already!!!

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2021 1:07 PM

The easiest way to buy is through PayPal. I would advise investing no more than $500-$1,000. Also, don't even think of doing your taxes next year and denying you own cryptocurrency (like a few dumbasses I know).

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2021 1:08 PM

We'll see. 30 years ago the land under the Imperial Palace in Tokyo was worth more than all of California.

This is how manias work. They suck everyone in...

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2021 1:08 PM

R35, no they don't. But, you can download Atomic right on your phone (laptop too).

IF you do, be sure to WRITE down the list of words that you get. That is basically your key to get in if you ever forget your password. NEVER LOSE IT and, be sure to write each word legibly.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2021 1:09 PM

R38, its not mania. Its been around for years now. And, more and more ppl see its use case and project viability. ONly ppl that do not understand it say this.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2021 1:10 PM

R39– am I fine with not having a wallet and only using Gemini?

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2021 1:12 PM

btw Burry is NOT short Bitcoin. He tweeted that in the short term, anything is possible, so it would be foolish to short it.

Don't make shit up.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2021 1:13 PM

R41, yes.Its a good exchange. The wallet offers more security, is all. That is, each coin on the blockchain carries a "key". The key is under the control of the exchange when you leave it there. When you move it to a wallet, only YOU own that key.

Its somewhat akin to keeping money in a bank vs. your own safe at home.

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2021 1:15 PM

R42, my mistake. I don't know anything of him, but the "big short" moniker led me to assume he was a hedge fund shorter. Apologies. I still think he is wrong, nonetheless. As history has dictated.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2021 1:18 PM

Anyone that is new to this and goes in and buys keep these things in mind:

If you download a wallet, NEVER EVER lose the mnemic phrase. That is the key to your kingdom.

If you use the exchange within the wallet, understand that the trade is not immediate. DO NOT freak if it takes awhile. Blockchain is perfect, it does NOT make errors. Only humans do Alway double check and send a small amount to be sure you are doing it right.

It all seems complex to newbies, but it gets much easier as you use it.

IF you want to use a broker to do trades, Caleb and Brown have a good rep.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2021 1:23 PM

Just so you know, OP: Last week Bitcoin went up nearly $10,000 in value...

Today, it dropped about $4,000.

Be prepared for extreme volatility. Buy to hold for at least a few years.

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2021 1:24 PM

Gambling is for The Poors.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2021 1:27 PM

yes, R46, of course. Nobody with a brain will argue its not volatile. However, as I stated earlier- the lows keep getting higher. THAT is why its a LONG TERM investment.

Can it go back down to 4 grand? Yes.

It will then go way back up.

Keep your eyes on the lows, not the highs.

Its a LONG TERM investment. It will reach a million in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote] More importantly, how do you cash it?

There is no way to cash it without EVERYONE taking a fucking cut of your goddamn money.

Which I why I said COINBASE is a criminal enterprise.

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2021 1:30 PM

R47, my father bought me many many BTC in 2010 when I was a kid.

I am not poor. Its not gambling. So frustrating to deal w luddites who cannot see the truth of crypto. Same ppl who said internet was gonna be short term. Or amazon, or apple etc. Its really so myopic and old fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2021 1:32 PM

So what do you do with bitcoin if you don't cash it in and there isn't much you can buy with it? Is there anyone so far who has gotten fabulously rich by selling the bitcoin they bought ten years ago?

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2021 1:41 PM

R50 - so you’ve made a substantial amount since 2010?

by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2021 1:44 PM

I had to sell $200 in Bitcoin last week and only paid $4.00 in admin fees (2%). That's not outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2021 1:44 PM

Yes, R52.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote]There is no way to cash it without EVERYONE taking a fucking cut of your goddamn money.

It’s like this for all of them: Ameritrade, etc.

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2021 1:45 PM

Good for you, R54.

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2021 1:46 PM

Thank you, R56. I have posted many crypto posts and replies here because I want ppl to see that they can be early adopters and find financial freedom. I am usually called a shill. I don't shill, I just want ppl (early adopters) to gain. I posted about Theta and Tfuel awhile back and was called a shill.

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2021 1:49 PM

R46 makes a good point. I’ve been holding much of mine for over a year; in January I sold just enough to recoup my initial investment (which now proves to have been a mistake, but oh well.) In that time it’s had some pretty large swings. You have to have the mindset that you’re holding and not sell it at the first sign of trouble. You have to kind of just forget it’s there.

Like this weekend it hit a new all time high at 61k but just now it fell back down to 57k. You have to be prepared for such things.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2021 1:51 PM

I’m buying just to hold. Retirement.

by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2021 1:52 PM

...when I told my friends about Theta and tfuel (over a year ago), some bought it. Theta was less than 12 cents. Rn its almost 7 dollars and will very very likely reach 100 in a year. Tfuel was fractions of a penny. It is now 34 cents. Many ppl made hundreds of thousands from my suggestion. AN uber driver made literally one million. No, I am not lying.

Crytpo is an early adopter sport.

by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2021 1:52 PM

Yes, R58. It is a store of value.

Long term (at least 10 years from today. At least) hold.

But, many ppl make lots day trading it too (hence its volatility).

by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2021 1:55 PM

There is a lot of FUD (fear, uncertainty,doubt) w BTC-the very thing that made you sell. Just hold it. Or, HODL as the saying goes. And remember the guy that bought that pizza with 10 thousand btc. And the other that sold a few thousand for 36 cents each.

The future awaits BTC and those that hodl.

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote] Um, [R19]- even though it has decreased over and over----the lows keep INCREASING. Do some research.

Are you serious?

One year ago, it was $6,913 today it is $54,330

It's INCREASED by $47,416 in the past year

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2021 4:11 AM

OP here.

It's there a possibility that crypto currencies like Bitcoin will gain adoption by a "big" player? For insurance, someone like Amazon starting you accept payments in btc.

Wouldn't an event like thar permanently seal the fate of that currency? I'd like to be in before that happens.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2021 5:20 AM

R63. You misunderstood the point. Yes it is getting higher. I was pointing out to the naysayers that the lows keep getting higher. In other words, it never loses traction even when it drops substantially. It never returns to its lowest low.

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2021 9:29 AM

R64, it will be adopted in the future. Make no doubt about it.

What many here do not understand is the beauty of crypto and blockchain. Both are pure genius. Absolute genius.

Blockchain is the future. It will be used by all companies, banks, etc.........why? Because its perfect.

And yes, we will be voting on blockchain.

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2021 9:31 AM

Why would anyone SPEND a currency that is supposedly going to appreciate from $50K to $1 million in a few years?

Why would anyone ever BORROW in it?

If it makes sense neither to spend it, or to borrow in it, how is it currency?

by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2021 11:04 AM

R67. It is a currency AND a store of value. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 68March 16, 2021 11:28 AM

That's not an argument.

by Anonymousreply 69March 16, 2021 11:31 AM

R69. One cannot argue w a stated fact. Didn't think your question was posed for an argument. I simply gave you a correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 70March 16, 2021 11:55 AM

R70, that is what they call 'begging the question' in philosophy and logic.

I am trying to understand what BTC is, and no one gives me a straight answer.

I do not see how it can be BOTH a currency and and investment. No one is going to borrow in a 'currency' that is continually appreciating. Also, if it is continually appreciating no one will want to spend it. So it fails a basic test of a currency. What is the maximum theoretical value? Do you imagine a global economy in which there is no debt? Or do you imagine that sovereign governments all over the world are going to cede monetary policy and authority to BTC and it will be the global currency? Why would they ever do this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 16, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote] when I told my friends about Theta and tfuel (over a year ago), some bought it.

Why didn't you tell us at Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 72March 16, 2021 12:15 PM

You can buy theta via robinhood?

by Anonymousreply 73March 16, 2021 12:36 PM

What websites are good for research and reading up on this topic?

I want to invest but am worried about hacking esp personal info.

by Anonymousreply 74March 16, 2021 12:39 PM

R71, believe me. I know what begging the question is. I did not say that it is that way because I said it is that way.

I am saying that BTC is a store of value and currency. I am not your teacher. If you have questions about BTC google it.

You asked how it is one and how it is another. I am simply stating that its is both a currency and a store of value. That is not an opinion. It is a fact.

Do we rid ourselves of books because the internet exists? No. Just as we will not rid ourselves of fiat because of BTC. BTC can exist without Fiat but because of ppl like you-and until they die out- it will not happen. It will once the last BTC is mined. Most ppl that doubt the enormous advantage of blockchain and crypto will probably have died by then. Until then, you can borrow your money, own BTC, invest BTC or not.

by Anonymousreply 75March 16, 2021 12:41 PM

R74, YT is great for learning about it.

Watch crazy4cryptos. Search YT for crypto learning, etc.

by Anonymousreply 76March 16, 2021 12:43 PM

R73, no you cannot buy Theta from RH. I believe Binance has it. Simpleswap.io is a good source to get it, you can swap lots of coins for it.

You HAVE to download the Theta wallet first. PLEASE learn how to receive and send from your wallet and from exchanges. Always send tiny amount first so that you know you are doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 77March 16, 2021 12:47 PM

Should I just buy a little of everything?

by Anonymousreply 78March 16, 2021 12:48 PM

Also, R71- your questions make it abundantly clear that you really do NOT understand crypto. At all. I do not have the time to answer your questions about global debt. However, you can find the answers if you research it.

It IS the future. Learn more about it. Research the questions you have and you will find why.

by Anonymousreply 79March 16, 2021 12:49 PM

R78, you should not buy a little of anything.

by Anonymousreply 80March 16, 2021 12:50 PM

Re this "currency" debate, for tax purposes. the IRS doesn't treat it as a currency (which has its own taxation rules), but rather it treats bitcoin the same way as gold. I think gold is a good analogy, as gold can be used as currency (as it was often in the 70's), but it also can be an investment in itself.

by Anonymousreply 81March 16, 2021 12:59 PM

I ask R80 because on a bitcoin subreddit someone new to bitcoin asked this very question and a poster said “buy everything” and most everyone agreed. Just curious what DL Bitcoin experts thought too.

by Anonymousreply 82March 16, 2021 1:04 PM

R82, if one asks that question, they do not know enough about crypto to buy anything.

There are a lot of shit coins out there (Doge, for instance) and many more. So, if you buy "everything" you already lost.

by Anonymousreply 83March 16, 2021 1:12 PM

R81, IRS treats it as property.

HOWEVER...once you have cashed out, it is a matter of paying cap gains. Short term gains are of course worse- you pay a lot more. Another reason to hold.

by Anonymousreply 84March 16, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote]Doge, for instance

The heavily touted Elon coin?

by Anonymousreply 85March 16, 2021 1:18 PM

R85 exactly

by Anonymousreply 86March 16, 2021 1:24 PM

Because, R72, I didn't really think to. Besides, I have replied and or posted about BTC in the past few years and I was called a "shill" and told to take my "tulips" and shove them. When I mentioned Chainlink (I think it was 7 dollars at the time, I cannot remember) I was told the same. Its now 30.00. So, even if it crossed my mind, it left.

by Anonymousreply 87March 16, 2021 2:43 PM

R87, there are always a dozen trolls on Datalounge who will respond like that. They don't represent the majority. Some of the rest of us appreciate your input.

by Anonymousreply 88March 16, 2021 4:48 PM

You should next time R87. Just plop it in the Bitcoin thread. What people do with it, it’s up to them.

by Anonymousreply 89March 16, 2021 4:51 PM

Thank you, R88, R89.

I actually started a new Theta Fuel thread a couple of weeks ago. And, yes..I was told I was trying to pump and dump, etc. But some were open to it.

by Anonymousreply 90March 16, 2021 5:06 PM

My money is still all tied up in Beanie Babies.

by Anonymousreply 91March 16, 2021 7:10 PM

R73, you don't have answers to my questions, so first you tell me to google it, and then you tell me I'm too old and stupid to understand. That is what is called an 'ad hominem argument' and it is invalid, as I expect you know.

When I go to Datalounge on my phone guess who advertises? Coinbase -- selling BTC. The proverbial shoe-shine boy giving stock tips.

I have no doubt there are true believers, and you may be one; but to simply dismiss reasonable questions about how cryptos will function in this world we live in, not some world of the imagination that has no sovereign governments, is the behavior of a cultist.

Good luck with your BTC. I'll make this prediction: if BTC goes to a million dollars or euros or remnimbi or whatever, we will be living in Thunderdome, and all the BTC in the world won't buy you any bread -- because there won't BE any.

Ta!

by Anonymousreply 92March 16, 2021 7:55 PM

R92, Your questions involve an in-depth explanation, as blockchain is a complex construct. I do not have the time to teach you about it, nor am I obligated to do so. You are accusing me of being dismissive, when the truth is, your questions cannot be answered with a simple paragraph. It is demonstrably complex. Your accusations of "ad hominem" are not at all correct. I simply pointed out that you and others like you are typically resistant to changes as you age. This is not opinion. Nor is it name calling or attacking you personally. If you want an example, look at R91. His attempt at witticism ironically substantiates my point.

Luck is not an element that is needed in regard to the growth of crypto. The passage of time will surely pave the road to its eventual success. The luddites will die out. All systems die eventually. The system that is currently in place will cease to exist eventually,giving way to a better and more perfect system.

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2021 10:05 AM

I can buy them at the Dollar General, right?

by Anonymousreply 94March 17, 2021 10:16 AM

You can buy stuff with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 17, 2021 10:35 AM

No, R94. The only thing you can buy there is a title, for a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 96March 17, 2021 10:48 AM

Have any of you computer geeks tried cryptomining? Basically turning your PC into a workhorse for all the transaction that people make. Been watching a few videos and some of these guys have 10 hard drives linked together or many more generating passive income. Like 5 or 10 dollars a day, but it's every day without doing anything once it's set up. Some are making thousands of dollars over the course of a few months.

by Anonymousreply 97March 17, 2021 10:54 AM

R97, that is the beauty of Theta and Tfuel. One can stake it and gain rewards. I am using EEN to stake my tfuel and GN to stake my Theta.

This is why banks will be obsolete in the future. Well, one reason.

by Anonymousreply 98March 17, 2021 10:58 AM

R97, one reason why so many ppl are going to go nuts w Theta is because one can stake a thousand of them and earn one per day approx. Right now, that does not mean much.

However, many can conceive that Theta and Tfuel will see an exponential rise in the future.

And that is where the passive income comes in.

by Anonymousreply 99March 17, 2021 11:00 AM

You buy? You ten years to party, much late.

by Anonymousreply 100March 17, 2021 11:04 AM

I'm going to start my own cryptocurrency. I'm going to call it Pyramid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 17, 2021 11:16 AM

So what happens if you say buy 1,000 dollars worth of coin, and at some point in the future it's say 3,000. Is that all considered a cash asset like money in the bank? The reason I as is I am not working due to a long term illness. I am on disability and one of the qualifiers is I can not have more than 2,000 dollars worth of assets. Meaning a bank account, stock or bonds. Which I don't. So if I spent that extra money, as it accrued over time over 2K, would the IRS look at it as just 2K at the end of the year or would they count everything and report me for having too much money?

by Anonymousreply 102March 17, 2021 11:18 AM

Yes definitely

by Anonymousreply 103March 17, 2021 11:37 AM

I just bought 1300 Dogecoin yesterday . If it never does a thing, Im only out $75. R102 if you are on disability and get Medicaid, you can have assets, you cant have more than $2000 in your bank account

by Anonymousreply 104March 17, 2021 11:48 AM

Isnt Bitcoin like a virtual bank account though? IRS probably looks at it like that wouldn't they? So there really is no way someone like me could invest in Bitcoin.

by Anonymousreply 105March 17, 2021 12:57 PM

can these apps be downloaded on tablets or laptops? I lose my phone a lot, kind of wary to download on phone.

by Anonymousreply 106March 17, 2021 5:52 PM

"Isn't Bitcoin like a virtual bank account though?"

But isn't all money worthless now since we no longer back it up with gold? It's just paper and a promise.

by Anonymousreply 107March 17, 2021 6:34 PM

who is satoshi nakamoto ?

by Anonymousreply 108March 17, 2021 10:50 PM

I mean, could they have tracked his ip address etc? when he was posting on the forums?

by Anonymousreply 109March 17, 2021 10:51 PM

R108, I suspect he is a physician that lives in Ca. He has a few patents currently that will use blockchain to convey medical pursuits aimed at curing a number of kidney ailments.

Just my finding and only an opinion. I posted on reddit and it was deleted completely. So

by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2021 12:09 PM

R107, fiat is backed by psychology and the gov't. There is no foundation aside from that in terms of his value. The majority of fiat rn was printed in 2020. Inflation will continue due to the absurdity of fiat.

Crypto is different.

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2021 12:11 PM

R106, you can access coinbase et al on line via a laptop.

You can access wallets the same way.

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2021 12:13 PM

R104, you spent 75 dollars on a shit coin.

You could have bought digibye (6 cents) which will rise quite a bit. It is a great project. Or, you could have bought Cardano. Which will rise quite a bit as well.

Elon Musk uses Doge as a pump and dump scheme. And the plebs are banking it for him.

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2021 12:18 PM

Bitbump.

by Anonymousreply 114March 22, 2021 12:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 26, 2021 4:24 PM

R115 that is hysterical. I will tell you what the Govt WILL try to do:

Have their own crypto thru the fed. But, they will first need to buy BTC out bc they will not be able to "outlaw" it. Way too many players involved at this point. And, we know who REALLY runs the govt.

by Anonymousreply 116March 28, 2021 11:04 AM

...oh and this is just another fiat institution predicting that the one thing that will put them out of business will "fail".

Too funny.

by Anonymousreply 117March 28, 2021 11:05 AM

I’m too stupid to understand how this works, so I’ll step back and let everyone else get rich on it.

Ray Dalio and his company are creepy. True story: many years ago, we were driving in Westport looking for a little park/preserve. We went down a driveway and ended up in a kind of office park. There were a few buildings and a parking lot and my fight-or-flight response kicked in. I told my sister “find the exit, find the exit, go back, we have to get out of here”. It was a hot summer day, nothing out of the ordinary but that place gave me the worst feeling. It was that Bridgewater.

by Anonymousreply 118March 28, 2021 11:47 AM

R118, you are not stupid, clearly. Take some time to read about it. You will be astonished at the absolute genius of BTC et all- essentially, blockchain. It is incredulous. Those that make fun of it, or call it all "tulips" or whatever- fear it. They fear missing out on it and therefore decide attempt to diminish it in an effort to assuage insecurities.

The fact is, it is most definitely the future. Just as the internet was years ago. Just as debit cards before that. The huge paradigm shifts one had to undergo to accept those changes, in retrospect, are forgotten. Just as this will be. As it becomes less complex in its conveyance into the mainstream (by way of software changes that will allow mainstream to join with less complexity involved) it will see its aim reflected ubiquitously. Right now, it is an early adopter realm, just as all new tech is, in its embodiment. So, to learn how to get in on the ground floor right now is ones best pursuit.

by Anonymousreply 119March 28, 2021 11:58 AM

[quote] It is incredulous.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 120March 28, 2021 11:59 AM

[quote] I will tell you what the Govt WILL try to do: Have their own crypto thru the fed. But, they will first need to buy BTC out bc they will not be able to "outlaw" it. Way too many players involved at this point. And, we know who REALLY runs the govt.

The Jews?

(You are a lunatic.)

by Anonymousreply 121March 28, 2021 12:02 PM

You want to buy something yet don't know how? Save money, you will only lose it anyway.

Dumb investor is you.

by Anonymousreply 122March 28, 2021 12:03 PM

R121, "The Jews"???? WTF? Eww. Are you wearing a brown shirt?

R122, sounds great. Cool story, Please don't invest anything but your time here on DL. It is all you can do.

by Anonymousreply 123March 28, 2021 12:10 PM

R121, "The Jews" was NOT implied. You simply read it as that because.....well who TF knows.

I meant the multi-national conglomerates.

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 124March 28, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote] "The Jews"???? WTF? Eww. Are you wearing a brown shirt?

Reading comprehension is your friend. I was asking our friend who he meant by the oggety-boogety bullshit he posted.

by Anonymousreply 125March 28, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote] I meant the multi-national conglomerates.

So if multi-national conglomerates really run our government how does that prevent the government from outlawing Bitcoin? Explain the logic there.

by Anonymousreply 126March 28, 2021 12:17 PM

R125, the implication was NOT THE JEWS. WTF????????????????

It WAS the multinational conglomerates. Jesus.

Go back to sleep, brownshirt.

by Anonymousreply 127March 28, 2021 12:17 PM

well, R126, how many huge companies do you think are invested in BTC rn?

If you say none, try doing some research.

by Anonymousreply 128March 28, 2021 12:18 PM

[quote] Go back to sleep, brownshirt.

Again, the point wasn't that it was the Jews. The point was that the poster was being ridiculously vague and illogical.

[quote] how many huge companies do you think are invested in BTC rn?

Yeah, so? How do you think these companies will do if the dollar collapses due to the runaway inflation you insist will happen any minute now? Do you not also think they need world economies to function?

[quote] If you say none, try doing some research.

Try thinking logically. And stop putting words in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 129March 28, 2021 12:23 PM

I will tell you exactly what is going to happen in the next decade:

The fed will buy out BTC because they cannot create their own coin. Why? Because nobody trusts them in crypto. So, they will need to buy BTC out and satisfy the BTC holders. They will have to bend to the will of the future. The future will not bend to the will of the antiquated anachronistic money printing fed.

by Anonymousreply 130March 28, 2021 12:25 PM

R129, inflation: Fed prints money.

BTC: No more than 21 Million.

Try to do research .Dont rely on me to educate you.

by Anonymousreply 131March 28, 2021 12:26 PM

R129, not "vague". You simply have no clue about crypto. You leap to conclusions by virtue of your limited knowledge. You resort to name calling, and you ask questions that you need to find answers to on your own.

Crypto is complex. If you have questions, use google. The "vague" reply you see if vague only because YOU don't get it. So, you leap to "Jews" as the boogey man. WTF?

Go away. You do NOT belong on this thread. I believe Judy Garland is awaiting. Somewhere here.

by Anonymousreply 132March 28, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote] not "vague".

By any rational definition, this is vague: "And, we know who REALLY runs the govt."

[quote] You simply have no clue about crypto. You leap to conclusions by virtue of your limited knowledge. You resort to name calling, and you ask questions that you need to find answers to on your own.

None of this is true. I asked no questions about how crypto works and I called no one a name. You are confusing me with another poster.

[quote] So, you leap to "Jews" as the boogey man. WTF?

Again, you gave absolutely no indication in the post who you were talking about. I could have just as easily used the Illuminati or the Freemasons. But you continue to focus on that to distract from the fact that your conspiracy theory makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 133March 28, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote] inflation: Fed prints money.

This is so ridiculously stupid. You have no idea how economics works if you think in such simplistic and incorrect terms.

[quote] Try to do research .Dont rely on me to educate you.

I did not ask you to. And I certainly wouldn't expect to be educated by someone who believes something as stupid as "Inflation: Fed prints money"

by Anonymousreply 134March 28, 2021 12:49 PM

R133, nobody cares.

Go away.

You are on a BTC thread and you have ZERO clue. So, you ask inane questions. Google if you have questions.

Go away. Spread your gross insecurities somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 135March 28, 2021 12:50 PM

[quote] Go away. You do NOT belong on this thread. I believe Judy Garland is awaiting. Somewhere here.

I belong on any thread I want to be on.

by Anonymousreply 136March 28, 2021 12:51 PM

R136 you don't really "belong". You choose to be here for some ungodly reason.To fight, I guess. Odd. You don't know a thing about blockchain, and yet...here you are here. Not sure you really "belong". But, have at it. lol.

by Anonymousreply 137March 28, 2021 12:52 PM

[quote] [R133], nobody cares. Go away. You are on a BTC thread and you have ZERO clue. So, you ask inane questions. Google if you have questions. Go away. Spread your gross insecurities somewhere else.

I understand Bitcoin perfectly well. I haven't asked any questions. You seem to have me confused with someone else.

I have no idea what you mean by "gross insecurities."

by Anonymousreply 138March 28, 2021 12:52 PM

R138, lol

by Anonymousreply 139March 28, 2021 12:54 PM

Does anyone know why the Theta fuel post was deleted? I was hoping the OP would continue posting there.

by Anonymousreply 140May 1, 2021 6:21 PM

May I interest you in a bridge I have for sale, OP?

by Anonymousreply 141May 1, 2021 7:05 PM

R140, I am the OP from that thread. I suspect it is because Coinbase pays for ads here and Theta nor Tfuel are on Coinbase.

Theta and Tfuel are the BEST projects out there.

by Anonymousreply 142May 2, 2021 11:49 AM

r140, so is Digibyte.

Doge is a pump and dump acting as a personal free flowing ATM for Musk, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 143May 2, 2021 11:51 AM

I'm cool with that r143. I'm just riding the wave

by Anonymousreply 144May 2, 2021 12:16 PM

OP, I followed your advice and got Theta and Theta Fuel, any others you suggest to look into? Thank you again for your help!

by Anonymousreply 145May 2, 2021 12:19 PM

R145, I think Digibyte is a great asset. It is actually one of the best. I bought it a few years ago at .0003 or something like that. Even at its current price of .15 it has far to go because it is a great project. Research it......if. you have Atomic wallet you can exchange coins for it there.

by Anonymousreply 146May 2, 2021 12:25 PM

R145, dont panic sell your Theta or Tfuel.......like some are doing. It has a far way to go.

How much did you buy for?

by Anonymousreply 147May 2, 2021 12:26 PM

No one said you have to put every dime you own into it. Just but a little at a time with what you can afford to lose... That said I wish I bought more Dogecoin when it was a nickel a coin...I

by Anonymousreply 148May 2, 2021 12:33 PM

R148, it will probably reach a dollar. I mean, long shot but maybe. But in the end, it is based on the Greater Fool Theory.

It has not been updated in years, and it has no use case. It pumps when Musk needs (as all addicts do) money. It serves as his money tree.

by Anonymousreply 149May 2, 2021 12:50 PM

R147 Theta bought @ 12.24 and T Fuel 0.44

by Anonymousreply 150May 3, 2021 2:07 PM

Why wouldn't people buy something real instead? Is it because they don't know where to keep stuff? Don't actually want to have to own something that could be clutter? Then wouldn't stocks and bonds be better? I can't believe how many fools are on this site. Trying to convince each other that they are not fools.

by Anonymousreply 151May 3, 2021 4:07 PM

They can R151. But some prefer this.

by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2021 4:09 PM

By the way, R151- aside from BTC being a huge asset that my father bought when it was like 11 cents (and he only sold a few back in 2017)---I have made a lot of money on crypto. For instance, I bought DGB 3 years ago. I spend 5 grand on 25 million tokens.

It is now .15 cents. You do the math. And, this is just ONE investment that has seen great gains over the last 3 years. And DGB has just started.

No, we are not fools.

We know what digital currency and blockchain will mean in a few years.

I think perhaps, you are the fool.

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2021 4:18 PM

R153, you are investing in a scheme. It's what men do instead of MLM companies.

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2021 6:28 PM

Doge is up 13% TODAY. My return today is $789

by Anonymousreply 155May 3, 2021 10:28 PM

Since Dogecoin isn’t easy to unload I’m holding at my original investment made a few weeks ago, but I have made a nearly $200 profit despite buying a good chunk at $0.30.

by Anonymousreply 156May 4, 2021 6:07 AM

In typical stupid, greedy human fashion, it will be imaginary currency that will one day take down real economies. I love is when rich people play with everyone else's lives. Now, they've invented a way to do it with make-believe. And, anyone who argues it's not the rich doing this are full of shit. Those of you who aren't rich will learn your lesson that the game is rigged and you're the suckers soon enough. Welcome to the grand casino of your imaginations.

by Anonymousreply 157May 4, 2021 6:52 AM

R154, R157: Well, you think as you like. Many have made great financial gains and will continue to do so. Millions. And. Millions.

And that "imaginery" currency? Sort of like the paper we use now? Actually, most of our money is never really "seen" at this point. And, it has nothing but govt backing. So, keep up the old timey thinking, and stay in the past.

by Anonymousreply 158May 4, 2021 7:25 PM

My Doge has gone up $855 since midnight (in the last half hour)

by Anonymousreply 159May 5, 2021 4:33 AM

Some of you should study every single economic bubble in history to see what your futures hold.

by Anonymousreply 160May 5, 2021 4:44 AM

[quote]I think perhaps, you are the fool.

I think, perhaps, you are a liar.

by Anonymousreply 161May 5, 2021 5:04 AM

Um, ok R160. BTC was 11 cents when my father bought it. He bought TEN THOUSAND of them. He has more than half left.

If that is a bubble, we sure were treated right by it.

by Anonymousreply 162May 5, 2021 1:00 PM

The problem w R160 ppl is that they have ZERO initiative to adapt to change. Esp when older. So, they become anachronistic. It is the way its always been. This "bubble" has created gargantuan returns for my family and a whole lot of others. Block chain is the future, it is not a "bubble". But, you go ahead and think that way. Really, like whatever lol.

by Anonymousreply 163May 5, 2021 1:02 PM

R163, do you think previous bubbles didn't create gargantuan returns for people? Do you understand the word bubble? There are always lucky people who got in and out of the bubble at the right time and made out like bandits. It's all the people in there when it pops, which it ALWAYS does, who are screwed. And, when those bubbles are so unwieldy and huge, like the last real estate bubble (not to say anything about the current growing real estate bubble), it can take down economies.

by Anonymousreply 164May 5, 2021 6:18 PM

R149. I bought 1800 for $75....right now it’s at .64. If it’s worth nothing tomorrow, I still lost only $75

by Anonymousreply 165May 6, 2021 12:19 AM

“A fool and his money...”

by Anonymousreply 166May 6, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote] It's all the people in there when it pops, which it ALWAYS does, who are screwed

You do know that you can have a stop loss order? Of course you don't know that

I have an order in place to sell my coins and my stocks when they drop to a certain limit. It could drop to zero and I'll be fine

Visa is accepting coins. Fidelity, Ameritrade and a bunch of other trading platforms/brokers are getting into cryptocoin

by Anonymousreply 167May 6, 2021 4:08 PM

R164, name a bubble that has lasted 12 years and grew the way BTC has. You clearly have no idea why BTC is not a bubble, so I will tell you. THE MARKET CAP IS TOO SMALL. AND, it has a great utility, just like MANY coins. There ARE shitcoins out there, sole purpose is a PND. But, sorry. Not a bubble. You are not knowledgeable enough to be taken seriously so I will leave it there. Please do not ever buy crypto.

by Anonymousreply 168May 7, 2021 1:14 PM

Yes, R166. A fool and his money are soon parted when the fool has no idea when a good investment is calling him over. Like you. Don't invest. Nobody gives a shit. But, you are the fool. History and the future are your proof. Now, go back to Liza Minelli.

by Anonymousreply 169May 7, 2021 1:16 PM

R166, I will send your sentiment to my father who bought 10 thousand BTC for 11 cents each.

by Anonymousreply 170May 7, 2021 1:24 PM

Xrp Cardano ADA Doge Polkadot Tron Theta

by Anonymousreply 171May 7, 2021 1:52 PM

R171, those picks are good. Well, all but Doge. But then again, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 172May 7, 2021 3:02 PM

R172 I jumped on the doge train late. Held out this long. Bought some up a few days ago just for kicks.

by Anonymousreply 173May 7, 2021 3:16 PM

Me too R173.

by Anonymousreply 174May 7, 2021 3:22 PM

R172 R173 you should look into coins w good fundamentals, and just hold. But of course, none of us know.....just like any stockmarket.

by Anonymousreply 175May 7, 2021 3:27 PM

Vechain is a great fundamental. Walmart uses them, and a huge list of other partnerships for supply chain inventory etc.

by Anonymousreply 176May 7, 2021 3:30 PM

The cryptocurrency fanatics sound like cult members.

by Anonymousreply 177May 7, 2021 7:41 PM

They R177. I’m a retail investor and stocks are the bulk of my portfolio, but I recently got on the crypto bandwagon so as not to leave any money on the table...

While I’ve made nearly $1,000 in a few weeks (Dogecoin, Bitcoin, Ethereum), I recognize crypto currencies are way too volatile, and the cash grab will end sooner rather than later. But I have a friend who’s into crypto and he quite foolishly thinks countries are going to start tying their economies to crypto, and banks and economists hate them because they exist to solely cater to the wealthy.

I stopped trying to reason with him. He and others like him are too far gone...they need to just acknowledge that they’re desperate to make money or they have gambling addictions .

by Anonymousreply 178May 8, 2021 1:13 AM

How soon before the Millennials start using their newly bought homes as ATMS? Didn't we go through this in 2008?

by Anonymousreply 179May 8, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote] While I’ve made nearly $1,000 in a few weeks (Dogecoin, Bitcoin, Ethereum), I recognize crypto currencies are way too volatile, and the cash grab will end sooner rather than later. But I have a friend who’s into crypto and he quite foolishly thinks countries are going to start tying their economies to crypto, and banks and economists hate them because they exist to solely cater to the wealthy

I don't consider my crypto as a long term investment. If it works out that way, Great

I do know a lot of people are going to get into trouble

by Anonymousreply 180May 10, 2021 9:30 AM

The value prospect lies in the adaptability of blockchain technology for non-currency applications, such as NFTs for artwork and decentralized finance etc. Crypto will never become an 'alternate currency' because governments will never allow it. The regulation train is just getting going, and the BOE, for example, and India, are not making comforting noises.

Dogecoin is just people gambling on inflating a bubble. Same thing as taking a seat at a craps table.

by Anonymousreply 181May 10, 2021 10:52 AM

[quote]I do know a lot of people are going to get into trouble

How do you know?

by Anonymousreply 182May 10, 2021 1:25 PM

He doesn't R182. Because he and the other naysayers here think it just started this year. They know NOTHING. And have regret. And know that they cannot get it bc they have no idea how. They think crypto is a bubble that started a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 183May 10, 2021 3:21 PM

I know one way people are going to get in trouble: not paying their taxes.

You're required to report if you own or sold any cryptocurrency each tax year. I already know one person who got eerily quiet when I asked how he reported his Dogecoin sale from last year.

by Anonymousreply 184May 10, 2021 10:49 PM

R184, of course most ppl that know what they are doing will know of long and short cap gains taxes. Those that don't...well.

by Anonymousreply 185May 11, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote]You're required to report if you own or sold any cryptocurrency each tax year. I already know one person who got eerily quiet when I asked how he reported his Dogecoin sale from last year.

I can never tell what’s fact or fiction on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 186May 11, 2021 3:05 PM

R186 Crypto is considered property if you own it. If you stake it and make. money from staking, those earnings are considered income. Once you cash out, whatever gained is capital gains. If. you held longer than a year, you report as long term, held less, short term. Most ppl w a lot of crypto have accountants do it. Or, use software.

by Anonymousreply 187May 11, 2021 3:13 PM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188May 12, 2021 10:34 PM

The energy usage of bitcoin is the equivalent of powering twenty-eight households for an entire day

by Anonymousreply 189May 12, 2021 10:40 PM

What are you fucking talking about R189? It's as big as Switzerland's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190May 12, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] I already know one person who got eerily quiet when I asked how he reported his Dogecoin sale from last year.

Who in the fuck sold Doge coin last year? It was only worth $0.002

You don't have to report it to the IRS when you earn a nickel

by Anonymousreply 191May 12, 2021 10:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!