Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BAFTA 2020 Nominations

Yikes! Use this thread instead of the 2029 one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 3:55 PM

This list really made me realise how little attention I've paid to cinema since the pandemic started. I don't think I've heard of a single one of these.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2021 1:45 PM

Entire categories of unknowns

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

NIAMH ALGAR Calm With Horses

KOSAR ALI Rocks

MARIA BAKALOVA Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

DOMINIQUE FISHBACK Judas and the Black Messiah

ASHLEY MADEKWE County Lines

YUH-JUNG YOUN Minari

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2021 1:57 PM

I guess white peoples aren’t allowed to win awards any more.

This will backfire

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote]This is going to be the lowest rated Oscars in history.

Finally, an edge!

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2021 2:29 PM

R3 BAFTA is in the UK and they nominate who they feel deserves it. Most of their nominations look nothing like ours. If they nominated black actors, it’s because they genuinely felt they deserved it.

Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2021 3:07 PM

Even after last year, this seems really extreme. However I do wonder, racial diversity aside, whether the era of award nominations being uniform across the board is coming to an end? It hasn't always been like that anyway, but Regina King winning the GG and Oscar a couple of years ago but not even been nominated for the SAG award or Bafta may have been a sign of things to come.

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2021 3:16 PM

R6 she’s hardly the first person to win an Oscar and not be nominated for one of the other major awards etc.

And because movie theaters were closed. Most of these films were streaming only. And streaming services release many films with good roles for black actors.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2021 3:19 PM

r7 Yeah but look at this year. Jodie Foster, Andra Day and Rosamund Pike all won the GG for their respective categories and none were nominated for a SAG award and the Baftas really do seem all over the place this year. I'm not staying it's definite, but it could be a sign of things to come

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2021 3:42 PM

r3 the BAFTA nominations(and winners) are usually very similar to the Oscars, SAG awards and GG. This year is totally different

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2021 3:46 PM

I didn’t like it when the BAFTA voting body started genuflecting to Hollywood and anticipating Oscar voters’ taste. Prior to the early 2000s, they had so many inspired winners and nominees...would love to see them go back to that permanently.

by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2021 4:27 PM

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote]I didn’t like it when the BAFTA voting body started genuflecting to Hollywood and anticipating Oscar voters’ taste. Prior to the early 2000s, they had so many inspired winners and nominees...would love to see them go back to that permanently.

David Oyelowo has said something similar. Though his focus was on changing the date to give distance from the Oscars so that the BAFTAs can stand on its own as a vital award.

"What Bafta needs to do is to not be so closely tied to the Oscars. It needs to happen at a different date.

Bafta cannot be like the Golden Globes and everything else, just a precursor, and therefore a self-fulfilling prophecy – basically a road trip for Hollywood to hit London on the way to the Oscars.”

“We have a very specific identity as the British film industry that should be independent [of the Oscars],” he said. “That’s something to also be thinking about in this moment: who are we as the British film industry, not just a stop on the way to the Oscars.”

“That will bring about real change,” he said, “because when you think about the Grammys, it’s independent of the Mobos. The Emmys has its own identity; the TV Baftas is not a stop on the way to the Emmys. Change that date! You are not Oscars’ poor cousin; change the date, and be something that is truly autonomous of that.

“Take back the power, Bafta – I’m just saying!”

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2021 8:25 PM

Who is going to watch this?

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2021 1:44 AM

What the hell is Rocks?

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2021 2:47 AM

R7 SAG voting took place before The Mauritanian and I Care A Lot were available to be seen or sent out. That happens sometimes as it does for Golden Globes. This year especially movies qualified til Feb 26 and some of those nominations had already been voted on. I remember The Wolf of Wall Street or The Revenant missed out on one of the award shows because it wasn't seen early enough.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2021 2:59 AM

They snubbed Viola and Glenn. Tears.

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2021 3:04 AM

Frances cutting her own hair with a kitchen knife as usual.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2021 3:05 AM

After Weinstein no one cares about awards anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2021 3:14 AM

My favorite nods are Frannie McD and Clarke Peters for Da 5 Bloods.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2021 3:17 AM

Sorry R6 rather

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2021 3:23 AM

OMG!!! All the SNooZe-athons and Wokeramas are well-represented here.

by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2021 3:33 AM

How is Mank an original screenplay, I thought his father wrote it long ago, and died, and he then adapted it?

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2021 5:06 AM

Winners announced tonight

Nomadland, Chloe Zhao, Anthony Hopkins, Frances McDormand, Daniel Kaluuya, Yuh-Jung Youn

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2021 10:00 PM

Does McDormand's BAFTA win make her a frontrunner for the Oscar now?

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2021 9:18 AM

I didn’t realize Alfre Woodard was still working, or really even alive. Did Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer basically absorb her career and displace her?

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2021 10:23 AM

Alfie was very good in her film. I’m still haunted by the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2021 11:43 AM

R26, did Dionne Warwick sing the theme song over the credits?

"What's it all about, Alfre?"

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2021 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!