Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House Passes Landmark Voting Rights Bill, Setting Up First Major Filibuster Fight

Not a single Repig voted for this bill including the supposedly reformed Rep. Adam Kinzinger.

The sweeping reform bill would nullify the new wave of voter restrictions that Republicans are pushing at the state level. The House of Representatives passed a landmark bill on voting rights, elections, campaign finance and ethics reform by a vote of 220-210

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 3:58 PM

Adam Kinzinger is a phony and full of shit. Kinzinger also supported and voted for Trump in 2020 despite what he's saying now just a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2021 3:42 AM

Thank you so much OP. I have been dreading the repigs voter suppression laws, as I live in a red state already decimated by years of this shit. What a relief.

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2021 3:44 AM

[quote]Not a single Repig voted for this bill including the supposedly reformed Rep. Adam Kinzinger.

And retards on here will still act like he’s some sort of martyr.🙄

by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2021 3:46 AM

I hope the Republicans out his sorry fucking ass so that he's defeated in a primary and then the Democrats can take his seat. Fuck that piece of shit so much.

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2021 3:47 AM

[quote]including the supposedly reformed Rep. Adam Kinzinger.

But he never said he was reformed - just an old school Republican.

You know, the obnoxious Paul Ryan type.

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2021 3:50 AM

R2. Well, the bill still has to go through the Senate so the Dems have to stick together. None of this Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema holding out because they live in red states--and yes, Arizona is still red despite electing Dem Sen. Mark Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2021 3:53 AM

R5. I thought with this voting rights bill Kinzinger might be one of those "working across the aisle" Repugs. Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2021 3:55 AM

Arizona is not a red state anymore. You cannot have two Dem senators and have voted for a Dem president. It is purple but leans red.

This is a great bill. It would stop all republican voting bullshit until a crazy conservative judge, out of his ass, says it is unconstitutional. Then the extreme SC will confirm killing it.

It is always about judges.

by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2021 4:02 AM

Do you think people who believed in democracy would try to make voting harder?

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2021 5:31 AM

The Senate Dems must hang tough. This is a chance to defeat the Repigs and their diabolical plans to deny people their right to vote.

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2021 6:26 AM

This may be the most important legislation they'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2021 9:40 AM

This is a correct assessment of Adam’s canned (non)answer.

As GOP so frequently do, he argues passionately based on an unstable premise and then tosses off the rebuttal with a red herring.

I can begrudgingly give him a shred of credit for having principles and ideals around compromise and integrity. But, again, if that is position he wishes to take then he need to actually come correct from the jump and listen when 94% of Black people speak to the crisis at hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 2:54 PM

You mean the house passed a bill to allow voter fraud. There is nothing unreasonable about requiring ID and limiting mail in voting which cannot be properly regulated.

With a PO Box in California you can declare yourself homeless and register to vote. Ridiculous. That is bullshit and needs to be stopped

EVERY vote should count equally. But not every person should vote, felons, immigrants and those who are not registered should not vote.

I can name you six immigrants in Illinois where I work, who voted. How is that not fraud? We need restrictions so that my vote, which is legally isn't overwhelmed by the fraud.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 3:31 PM

Can Mitch keep this from even coming to the floor for a vote? How has he done that in the past, but he can’t with this one?

Is it just too high profile?

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 3:32 PM

It's not a filibuster fight if the Republicans won't vote for it and the filibuster isn't modified. It's just fodder for the media to treat like it's some sort of dramatic event to generate clicks, because otherwise the media would be bemoaning he "inactivity" of the Democrats (never Republicans).

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 3:34 PM

[quote]EVERY vote should count equally. But not every person should vote, felons, immigrants and those who are not registered should not vote.

People who have registered to vote have gone to do so and found republicans have wiped them from the registry.

Felons can’t vote. Remarkably, felons can run for office, however.

And I don’t believe you can truthfully name six immigrant co-workers who were able to vote, R13.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 3:39 PM

Felons should be able to vote, and some can, r16, it is a state-level restriction added by many states to repress votes under the guise of righteousness. Felony disenfranchisement laws should be illegal.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 3:46 PM

R13 you are full of shit. Even logically your gaslighting makes no sense.

Immigrants who don't have the right to vote are not going to attempt to vote and risk getting themselves deported if they're caught. It's the same reason many don't even call the police if someone's committed a crime against them.

Why are you lying? You're either a paid shill or a bad right wing troll.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 3:49 PM

I think this would be unconstitutional. State voting rights are up to states and not the federal government.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!