Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Identifying" as _________

In an NPR interview, the guest, Emma Specter, used the phrase "people who identify as fat". This is at least the third time I've heard this phrase since the beginning of the year. Since when do physical facts not matter? If your BMI is over 30, as discussed in the interview, you're fat. It's a fact, not a concept to be interpreted. Are we collectively just done living in reality? So many people seem to be LARPing their way through the world, and congratulating each other for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 10:28 PM

Hi, I'm Harry, and my pronouns are "retread" and "calcified"

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2021 2:06 AM

Anorexics could identify as fat.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2021 2:40 AM

My BMI Is 22.8 I've been told a better measure is your waist size should be 1/2 or less of your height. And yeah I'm 5'8 or 68 inches and a 30 inch waist.

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2021 3:04 AM

My sister struggled with eating disorders when she was young. She got the point where she looked like a walking skeleton, but was convinced that she was "fat."

I guess she was the OG "Identifying as Fat" person.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2021 4:04 AM

R4 I hope you were able to convince your sister that she wasn't fat, but was instead "pleasingly plump".

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2021 5:58 AM

Didn’t we all have eating disorders, once or twice?

All the best people do.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2021 6:22 AM

NPR is stupid, stay away from it for your own sanity!

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2021 6:25 AM

I identify as a billionaire but nobody cares....I am being targeted and discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 7:02 AM

Transfat is going to be a think before transracial? that’s disappointing

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 10:24 AM

I identify as Matt Dillon's underwear.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 10:33 AM

LMAO classic NPR. Do you think ANYONE involved in this nonsense ever thought to themselves "identify as fat?! Is that really something you identify as?" Followed immediately by their woke colleagues writing to HR about how "unsafe and threatened" they feel. Christ, what next?

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 11:11 AM

If you search for the term "identify as fat" you will find it was basically Roxane Gay and Lindy West using the phrase a few years ago. I know that sounds like a DL joke but I'm serious, I'll link to a transcript.

I don't think the phrase took off. I honestly think the actual impact and influence Gay and West and others of their ilk have is almost nil. Maybe people who write about social issues care what they say, but I'd bet 99.9% of human beings have no interest in this whatsoever. That's why I don't understand why people get mad at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 11:17 AM

[quote]Anorexics could identify as fat.

Yeah, that's the point. You can't become something by simply insisting it's true.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 2:31 PM

accomplishments over IDENTITY, please

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 2:32 PM

That’s an insult to trans folx everywhere r13

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 2:33 PM

I have a BMI of just under 25 and identify as fat. What will the fat acceptance movement do with me?

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 3:12 PM

All of this while the top 1% of Americans controls nearly as much wealth as the bottom 50%.

But sure. Let's indulge the whole "I identify as ..." crowd because identity is what really matters.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 3:17 PM

Also, why does observable reality only trump identity in certain instances?

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 3:29 PM

You could be obese and not think you're fat because you don't see it as a problem...

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 3:30 PM

OP, you might want to calm down. I think context is key here. BMI is controversial and in the context of "identifying" with a specific label, probably not relevant.

I'm sure this will set you off, so carry on.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 4:22 PM

R6 - I mean ROYALTY for crying out loud! How else do you think she keeps so impossibly thin?

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 4:26 PM

I identify as a hummingbird.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 4:32 PM

r22 = Lydia McLaughlin, hovering around your deck feeder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 4:34 PM

Maybe obese is to fat as gender is to sex. Of course trans activists are starting to claim sex doesn’t exist either.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 4:37 PM

I identify as an athlete on the Olympics swimming team, so I can eat whatever I want.

-Says the obese cunt who needs a motorcycle to get from one

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 6:47 PM

"Are we collectively just done living in reality?"

Yeah, and I blame the Transies, who have somehow managed to make their sillier ideas mainstream.

The fact is, for the vast majority of people "identifying as" something they're not is massively counterproductive, and the whole idea needs to be dropped for the good of society as a whole. Identifying as smart doesn't make the wingnuts any less foolish, identifying as rich doesn't put money in my pocket, identifying as good-looking doesn't give anyone else a boner, etc. Not only that, but the vast majority of human beings identify as something they aren't - at baseline! Assholes have always identified as moral compasses, incels identify as superior beings, irritating blabbermouths identify as charming, abusers identify as put-upon, etc. We need to drop the whole "identify as" thing, it does far more harm than good.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 6:56 PM

OP, proper social scientific analysis relies on distinguishing between things like:

*Biological metrics *Behavior patterns *Thought/'cognitive' patterns *Self-identification *Social labeling

For one thing, that NPR guest may have been expressing something that was based on research into... get this, the actual variable of self-identification as 'fat'--research that may not have included assessment of biological metrics like BMI.

For another thing, the biological criteria for categories of 'underweight', 'normal weight', 'overweight', and 'obese' have changed dramatically within our lifetimes. People before/after changing standards who were categorized as 'normal weight' have been moved into the 'overweight' category while having the same biological metrics.

Many people who fall below the federal poverty line do not consider themselves 'poor'. Self-identification is a different variable than using a more concrete metric. Not all research needs to or necessarily can feasibly use biological metrics. That's just a few issues surrounding this research topic that demonstrate why these issues are complex.

Your typical Datalounge anti-intellectual here won't comprehend issues of research design and analysis like this because:

*They're ignorant *They're furiously defensive of their pre-conceived, under-educated views of the world *They associate social scientific terminology with the targets of their prejudices. They actually hate words. The word 'problematic' angers them. The word 'identity' angers them. The word 'marginalization' angers them. WORDS anger them. *They're mainly on this site to shit all over socially marginalized groups that they dislike (fat people, trans people, people of color, bisexuals, lesbians, women, poor people, you get the picture).

The responses in this thread demonstrate all of these things and why it would be a waste of time to explain these things in more detail to people who are *actively* proud and defensive of their ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 8:15 PM

OOZE = Tedious Cunt

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 8:39 PM

R28 is Exhibit A to prove my point.

Look at his posting history.

It's a trail of rage-fueled bigotry and ignorance. Proud and unabashed.

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote] They actually hate words. The word 'problematic' angers them. The word 'identity' angers them. The word 'marginalization' angers them. WORDS anger them.

Lol...it IS a tedious cunt indeed.

Hectoring like schoolmarm. It reminds of Elizabeth Warren, except without Liz’s sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2021 8:53 PM

Oh Ooze...you need to get more fun out of life.

Pay to have someone fuck your Aspie rancid carcass. It will do you, and us, a load of good.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 8:57 PM

Well, most DL members identify as skinny caftan wearers and still look 30ish at age 85. Just saying!

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 8:59 PM

R30

Sweetheart, your R30 posting history is just that one post.

You logged into a sock puppet JUST to call me a schoolmarm?

I'm flattered. Also, thank you for proving my point in R27.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 9:14 PM

Ooze you don’t realize how the post history works on Datalounge. I’ve posted as the OP on several threads in the last two weeks. You just have responded to them or marked on your watch list

You are a tedious AND ignorant cunt.

Maybe you should read the room. No one here is interested on your earnest and hysterical screechings. Go to Autostraddle or to wherever your hopped up on estrogen kind congregates

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]Since when do physical facts not matter?

I have no idea what you’re talking about OP.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 9:36 PM

We all have disabilities. Fat people have one kind. What kind do you have?

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2021 9:38 PM

And then there’s this. It really matters of people are actually obese or if they only identify as such.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2021 9:38 PM

They’re “people with obesity”? Oh that’s rich.

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2021 9:59 PM

R34

Honey, I've had a career being paid to research and to teach courses involving this thread's very topic.

Does someone employ you to spread your nasty ignorance?

Look at your own posting history. You are human filth.

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2021 10:01 PM

I identify as Rubenesque.

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2021 10:04 PM

When did identity become so (excuse the expression) fluid? I know several people who have changed their first names in recent years. One twice. Don't get me started on those who have adopted lowercase names, eg john smith.

I can understand undergoing a full transition from male to female, or female to male, and picking a name of the appropriate gender along with that overhaul. But this seems much less committal. Similar to "my pronouns are she/her and occasionally they/them."

Isn't an unstable sense of self a sign of BPD?

I don't care who you are. The ways you perceive yourself are far, FAR more interesting to you than they are to ANYONE else. That includes close friends and lovers.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2021 10:08 PM

Anorexia is underrated, darlings. Granted, it made my lifespan, what, less than half of what it should have been, but it also made me a LEGEND, something that will never, ever, EVER happen to YOU during your long, pathetic, dreary little lives.

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2021 10:16 PM

Should come to the surprise of no one that Ooze the Cooz is an academic.

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2021 10:26 PM

Ooze...you’re shaking as you realize that you though you had it all figured out...only to realize that you didn’t. Nobody wants what are you are selling.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!