Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Golden Globes Ratings at All-Time Low This Year

Tina and Amy need to go.

The winners are always so predictable.

Nobody cares about celebrities patting themselves on the back anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 7, 2021 2:29 PM

As expected.

There was nothing really new on TV because of the virus. The only really good new show didn't get nominated (I Will Destroy You - HBO). And no one gives a damn about these idiotic celebrities anymore. All the woke crap, the phony crap. And too many shows are just garbage. Its just over for that industry.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 10:48 PM

Am I the only one that is tired of Tina and Amy? Their schtick got old years ago IMO.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 10:53 PM

git rid of them lame bitches that host it.....tired ass jokes omg.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 10:54 PM

Tina and Amy SUCK!

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 10:57 PM

One reason- movies fucking suck right now. Movies have been in a tailspin for years. Nothing really great came out and people are getting tired of antics of stars. It isn’t the wokeness, that narrative is from the conservative world, it is that there is no mystery to stars now. They are always everywhere. We have no true huge stars anymore. Those are the reasons for the low ratings.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 10:57 PM

People are tuned out of the woke baloney....its gone too damn far

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 10:59 PM

The winners weren’t all predicted—Andra Day, Jodie Foster.

I thought there was a strong crop of films this year. It’s just that virtual awards shows inherently have less zest.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 10:59 PM

Most of the appeal of these awards shows is the red carpet and seeing the live speeches and acceptance speeches. The virtual shit isn't the same. Sorry.

I thought there were (and are) many good offerings this past year.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 11:00 PM

Not surprising. People are zoomed-out of Zoom.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 11:01 PM

As soon as an awards show is hit with the complaint that not enough blacks or women are nominated, most of the country is turned off. As long as this continues, the ratings will tank.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 11:02 PM

People know the GG awards are bought and sold like whores...

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 11:03 PM

R10 No, racists care.

What good movies are out there? Don’t say Nomadland it looks boring asf

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 11:04 PM

It's what everyone has said here - the lack of a real red carpet but also people are tired of these overpaid, narcissistic celebrities, the speeches which become mission statements instead of a simple thank you. Everyone trying to be so profound. It's exhausting. I had no desire to watch last night.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 11:04 PM

For me it wasn't Amy and Tina that made it unwatchable. It was wokeness. It's so boring and predictable. Everyone is scared of their mind to piss off the Twitter mob. It needs to stop. And it needs to be stopped by us on the left - not asshole right wingers. It's getting ridiculous. We need to retain all the great things about the left - wide social safety net, fighting for universal health care, decreasing monies spent on the military, women's reproductive rights, minority rights etc, without become pawns in the woke insane rhetoric.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 11:04 PM

R11 All awards are bought. It is all bullshit

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 11:04 PM

There are very few stars anymore. The politics is a turn off. Lectures and scolding ad nauseum. Nobody cares that the GG awards was bought. The show used to be fun. Not anymore.

I don't blame Tina and Amy. The Oscars will tank too. Who's going to watch for 3 hours to see Nomadland win best movie?

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 11:06 PM

The winners were anything but predictable this year, OP. The show sucked because of zoom. Also, in a year with a stressful election/transfer of power and 500,000+ dead from Covid, no one cares about actors getting trophies.

The exposés about the Hollywood Foreign Press leading up to the show certainly didn’t help either.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 11:07 PM

These awards are Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 11:07 PM

Tina and Amy were great. There's only so much they can do with a virtual show, full of mediocre winners.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 11:09 PM

R14 you don't seem to understand that the moral certainty with which you describe your perfect society is exactly the attitude that creates the destructive wokeness that you claim to decry.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 11:09 PM

This is the first year in a loooong time that I haven't followed the whole awards season, in general, and frankly... I'm wondering why I didn't give up on it sooner! I used to always make an effort to watch the top contenders and I just don't care this year.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 11:10 PM

There was a lot of backlash that The Invisible Man wasn't nominated for anything and most people boycotted the show because of it. The Oscars better take heed.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 11:10 PM

The endless white guilt and complaints about everyone not feeling represented enough are dragging down the industry.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 11:10 PM

They're a dumb organization who gave an award to Pia Zadora. But now the woke brigade has them in the crosshairs. I'm more than ready for all award shows to go belly up. Please just stop. They can give their awards in private ceremonies and celebrate DIVERSITY untelevised.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 11:13 PM

Yes, all the wokeness, the nauseating self-congratulatory speeches where everybody tries to outwoke each other and treat winning a GG like it's winning a Nobel peace prize. Thank God Viola Davis didn't win or we would have had to suffer through her kissing her own ass.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 11:14 PM

Viewers have had it up to here with all the woke bs and have tuned out the award shows. theyr ratings will suck till things turn back around.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 11:14 PM

There's too many of these awards shows. Aren't the Oscars coming up in a month or so? Why do we need to watch this one when it's the same fucking thing?

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 11:16 PM

Exactly. I don’t understand the DL caftan queens who live for this pompous horse shit.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 11:17 PM

Tina and Amy are so annoying with their smug act.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 11:19 PM

Zoom awards are embarrassing. I feel uncomfortable watching people on their homes. The ones that dress up in ball gowns and have a mini party going on in the background are among the most cringey. I can't imagine having to sit through a St. Viola speech on there. Day was a refreshing part of the evening. They simply need a better solution for the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 11:19 PM

Someone say “woke,” again.

Just one more time.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 11:21 PM

I predict the Oscars will have worse ratings than the GG. The GG included television which people watch and care about. There were zero popular movies this year.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 11:22 PM

T26 Until things turn back around?

Remember that the next time Republicans are in power and do everything they can to role back gay rights etc.

Woke culture has benefited the gays in many ways. I guess by your mindset, MLK was Woke too. If it wasn't for Woke culture and the civilrights movement, the gays would still be in the damn dark ages.

We owe a lot to black Americans and everything they've contributed to American society.

If it wasn't for them kicking things off with the civil rights movement back in the 60s, the gays would've been eaten alive long ago. I'm not even going to bring up how they saved the countries ass in the 2020 election and giving us two US senators from Georgia. If they don't vote Democrats don't get elected.

Just things to think about the next time you decide to trash Woke culture.

By the way, Stacy Abrams is on television now talking about voting rights.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 11:23 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wokeness yet

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 11:24 PM

I found it fairly entertainting.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 11:24 PM

You know what people love to hear while a deadly virus ravages the world, the working people lose their jobs and aren't able to live the lives they had a year ago? Rich people who have been all over social media in clubs and beaches, mixing and having fun telling them that they WE need to do better.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 11:24 PM

I guess there weren't enough "seats at the table" for viewers.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 11:25 PM

Why could the presenters attend but not the nominees?

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 11:27 PM

Amy and Tina are fun. No one cares about awards shows anymore. Plus, no other hosts could make that stupid shit any better.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 11:29 PM

During trying times this frivolous shit is exactly what people need but, again, movies have largely sucked this year and there has not been enough big movies. One thing about all the streaming platforms is they allow so many actors a chance to act so no real stars dominate anything.

It is just a shitty time for all entertainment mediums except TV.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 11:30 PM

We're only 7-8 years into the Marvel/Disney takeover of cinema. Studios dont care about awards anymore. They spend to get them, but they don't finance movies that will only financially work if they get lots of Oscar nominations. They're out of that business now.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 11:30 PM

Award show ratings have been declining anyway. Add to that no chance for red carpets and ceremony footage of celebs and it makes sense. You really don't need great movies/TV shows to have a great awards show.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 11:31 PM

Movies are like Broadway--horrible. In fact, that can be said for all of the arts: in a tailspin of triteness and mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 11:31 PM

A Best Blockbuster Film award would probably increase the audience immediately.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 11:32 PM

R39 is WRONG on everything!

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 11:33 PM

"Role back gay rights?" Oh dear...

I lasted exactly one minute, heard Tina bashing the Hollywood Foreign Press for having no black members and turned it off. Fuck these silly people.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 11:33 PM

So if we have to have exact representation everywhere, I can assume BET is about to get whiter?

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 11:36 PM

It's not Tina and Amy. It's the state of the world right now. Who really cares about award shows when 2.5 million people have died from the coronavirus worldwide, the economy is in the shitter and people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. Awards just seem really trivial right now and I used to live for this shit back in the day. I barely know what was nominated this year and I can't say that I care.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 11:37 PM

Where the hell is Sandra Bullock? What happened to those days?

She dominated the 90s and 00s. What happened to those types of Mivies? I miss those days.

This is why only watch TCM, but even they need to start adding to their film library.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 11:37 PM

" EVEN I'M TIRED OF THEM AND I'M THE ONE EVERYONE IS THANKING! "

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2021 11:40 PM

Noboday likes celebrity talking about social issues and telling people how to behave. Celebrity should stop with the woke crap.

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2021 11:41 PM

R51 Ricky Gervais literally told them to quit that shit last year, the narcissistic fucks never learn.

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2021 11:43 PM

welcome to woke land....every commerical is ethnic....every tv show is 75% ethnic.....every movie is 60% ethnic....

people are done with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 12:34 AM

R39 Ricky Gervais could. He's the pin that can burst the self inflated importance of these woke celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 12:40 AM

R47, loves a good ‘White Lives Matter’ march.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 12:42 AM

I disagree strongly the ratings are the result of Tina and Amy (though they were pretty lackluster this year), and I also seriously disagree that Ricky Gervais would have attracted a wider audience. His witty nastiness may be beloved by the misanthropes on Datalounge, but he has yet to really connect with a wide American public, and he's as played out as Tina and Amy are.

The problem is that the film industry was already dying and COVID delivered the death blow. No one saw any of the films that were up for major awards this year. TV is still big, but there wasn't much released this year because of COVID that's popular, which is in large part why The Cropwn swept everything in TV (although I was really happy to see Emma Corrin and John O'Connor win--they really deserved their wins).

I think the wokeness is also a big problem: people are really tired of how obscure Hollywood can be in its now-endless complaints about representation. Given how many black nominees there were, and particularly how many racial minorities won, the complaints about representation seem particularly ridiculous. Spike Lee is just not such a consistently great filmmaker that he deserves endless nominations: he has made one or two genuinely great movies (and he should have won both Oscars and GGs for "Do the Right Thing"), but he has not since the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 12:49 AM

R55 so white lives don't matter?

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 10:59 AM

It’s been the trend for decades now and the virus sped it up. I think both lack of diversity in Hollywood and wokeness are the problem. You have a bunch of fake liberals who put on a huge show about being liberals and inclusive but aren’t actually willing to make fundamental changes in the industry. Kids have no interest because it’s so fake. Older tightwad traditionalist are turned off because it’s so fake. Every year some new star gets exposed as a wife beater or sexual harasser and no one in the industry is surprised since they knew and didn’t actually care. People can make their own content and worship whoever looks , talks, and thinks like them on social media.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 11:27 AM

I may be alone here, but perhaps the wokeness is turning people off?

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 11:37 AM

Welcome to the Golden Woke Awards, soon to be followed by the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Woke Awards.

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 11:49 AM

I hope the Tonys are woke!

by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2021 11:49 AM

I've watched these award shows all my life. Always loved movies but the magic has really died without movie theaters. What the hell were these movies ? How many streaming services did I need to see them ? I thought that Billie Holliday movie was on like OWN or something. It's just not the same. When they get back to normal, the Globes will need to reorganize the set up. The TV people should bi in front and these movie people that no one knows should be in the back

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2021 11:59 AM

They gave a bunch of awards to people working in movies and shows that I have never seen or heard of. Most people can't afford to have all the streaming services, and it felt like after each award was given, I said, "They gave it to the British person."

by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2021 12:14 PM

Have they disclosed how many of the 87 HFPA members are gay ? I mean they snubbed "Boys in the Band" starring an all openly gay cast but nominated James Corden for The Prom. Why no outrage for that ?

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2021 12:18 PM

[quote]I disagree strongly the ratings are the result of Tina and Amy (though they were pretty lackluster this year), and I also seriously disagree that Ricky Gervais would have attracted a wider audience.

One of the big problems with this year's ceremony was the lack of reaction shots. Tina, Amy, Ricky... no matter who hosts the Globes, the jokes need those reaction shots from the celebrity audience to keep viewers entertained and keep the energy up (for everyone).

Otherwise, the hosts are telling jokes in a virtually silent vacuum -- no laughs, no skewered celebs laughing at themselves/each other, nothing -- and everything lands with a thud.

by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2021 12:36 PM

R33, argue all you want to, but blacks & minorities not showing up to the polls in 2016 was the reason we had to endure 4 years of Trump's circus. Believe all you'd like to, but showing up late to the party just to say how blacks & minorities are the saviors of the 2020 election is raising a glass to the groups who neglected to be responsible in the first place. Choosing not to get involved simply because of all the nobody-looks-like-me bullshit had consequences for all of us. And woke culture has been good for gay culture? Well, that's just laughable. Your post was a perfect example of the clash between the parareality social media fabrication & reality.

by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2021 12:40 PM

R66.... nailed it!...

by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2021 12:45 PM

Wait the golden globes happened?

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2021 12:49 PM

I didn't and still couldn't give a shit about the GGs

by Anonymousreply 69March 2, 2021 12:51 PM

Why spend my time watching this when I can just look it up the next day?

These shows just aren't all that entertaining even in normal times.

If anything is THAT good, there will be a clip on YT soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 70March 2, 2021 12:53 PM

This is expected. Pretty much all TV is down, and these awards shows are no different, actually they are probably some of the hardest hit because people don’t have the patience to sit through a show like that. When they can just look up the winners or view clips later.

by Anonymousreply 71March 2, 2021 1:02 PM

Get Woke, Go Broke.

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 1:03 PM

R72

Fake narrative.

by Anonymousreply 73March 2, 2021 1:09 PM

Social media has killed awards shows. They used to be special events where you could see and hear from your favorite celebrities outside of their movies and TV shows. Now that they all have Instagrams and Twitter feeds, we see more than enough of them on a daily basis. And I agree that nobody cares much about millionaires congratulating each other anymore.

by Anonymousreply 74March 2, 2021 1:24 PM

There are fewer people into the type of archaic pretentious pomp and glamour showcased at these events. How many young people care About this stuff? It’s so outdated

by Anonymousreply 75March 2, 2021 1:28 PM

When the most popular movies, marvel, don't get a look in unless it's as "diverse" as Black Panther (even though that movie was the opposite of diverse with its 95% black cast) the average person just won't care.

by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2021 1:32 PM

Who even cares about awards shows anymore?

by Anonymousreply 77March 2, 2021 1:43 PM

The woke has cost Hollywood so much.

by Anonymousreply 78March 2, 2021 1:50 PM

The woke don’t watch TV, they don’t watch movies, they don’t vote—when will people move on from the woke?

by Anonymousreply 79March 2, 2021 1:52 PM

Twitter has cost Hollywood so much. The woke movement was started on there and a very small fraction of the entire population of America follow it, we are talking about 1% of the population, and yet Hollywood is terrified of them. We need to start treating the needy attention seekers on twitter as they should be, like a toddler throwing a tantrum, you don't enable and reward the toddler, you punish it and remind the screaming crybaby that is no way to get what you want.

by Anonymousreply 80March 2, 2021 1:59 PM

I like watching award shows, like the GG and the Oscars, because the fashions can be fun, there's a chance for spontaneity and to watch clips of movies and TV shows I'll probably never watch.

by Anonymousreply 81March 2, 2021 3:46 PM

To the point about overexposure, watch this. You can see people in the audience standing, adjusting to get a better look at her. Stars appeared so rarely then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 2, 2021 4:09 PM

1) Zoom awards have no spontaneity, no awkward red carpet interviews, no fashion hits and misses, etc. It's just not the same and people aren't as interested in watching.

2) Movies are terrible now. They're either dumb shit based on comic books that don't actually deserve awards or they're shit like Nomadland and Roma that are boring as fuck.

3) The constant discussion about representation is ridiculous at this point. No matter what these awards shows do, they're criticized for not being diverse enough or being diverse in the wrong way (like Green Book winning best picture). There's also a sense that things are winning/being nominated more for diversity points than for quality (See Green Book again. Or, sorry, any nomination for the totally average Black Panther). Then there's the absurd detailing of every single thing done by a person of color to make it some kind of special achievement. Billy Porter was the first openly gay black man to win an Emmy for lead actor in a drama! Mary J. Blige in Mudbound was the first black woman to be nominated for acting in a movie directed by another black woman! SO GROUNDBREAKING.

by Anonymousreply 83March 2, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] Nobody cares about celebrities patting themselves on the back anymore.

Except people who are not deplorables and TERF enablers. Mainstream media, a deplorable buzz phrase if ever there was one, knows what’s best for everyone, always has, and always will.

by Anonymousreply 84March 2, 2021 4:33 PM

The lack of star power really hurt the globes this year too. There were a few like Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas. But no Bullock, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt. Pitt won last year. He’s filming a movie, but he could’ve announced supporting actress via zoom. It would’ve helped some, but as some posters have said, the US and world are in bad shape right now due to Covid. Just celebrating anything seems in bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 85March 2, 2021 4:43 PM

More people are talking about Disney giving a “special thanks to“ credit to a fucking Chinese concentration camp in the new version of [italic]Mulan[/italic] than anything else coming out of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 86March 2, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]The winners weren’t all predicted—Andra Day, Jodie Foster.

Are you kidding? It was blaringly obvious Jodie was going to win by all the sudden interviews and articles about her the past few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 87March 2, 2021 5:02 PM

LOL the Tina and Amy fan girls are upset people are bored with their act.

by Anonymousreply 88March 2, 2021 5:05 PM

[quote]The winners were anything but predictable this year, OP.

You’re not very bright then if it wasn’t obvious to you.

by Anonymousreply 89March 2, 2021 5:06 PM

That is a pretty massive drop. 6 million viewers is in eye-popping yikes territory, especially when NBC just announced it paid like $27 million for the rights.

Nobody cares about awards anymore. The entertainment landscape is so fractured that nobody knows who the winners even are. How can you possibly keep up with the 500+ original scripted shows on the air? As for movies, without theaters, I've found it impossible to keep up, and I usually see all of the nominees/know what they are. This year, aside from Nomadland, I have no idea.

ABC must be shitting their pants about the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 90March 2, 2021 5:24 PM

The idea of "star power" mattering anymore is laughable. Star power has become democratized. Young people aren't obsessed with Brad Pitt, they're following Aaron Paul or some random Tik-Toker you've never heard of.

When everybody is famous, nobody is famous. These award shows are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 91March 2, 2021 5:26 PM

Golden Globes 1959

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 2, 2021 5:33 PM

Who even cares about awards shows in 2021?!!

by Anonymousreply 93March 2, 2021 5:33 PM

R91 There are some YouTubers that get more views than the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 94March 2, 2021 5:34 PM

If a concern for the underserved viewership is really a serious topic and promoting diversity is real, then the various award shows should limit eligibility to only television shows on network tv and movies which have played in theaters. That way, people wouldn't have to pay for premium cable channels to see nominated content.

by Anonymousreply 95March 2, 2021 6:24 PM

The public wants glamour, which is not being provided. Lots of sub-par talent who do nothing but scold people who just want to be entertained and escape their lives for a little while.

Can you imagine if the current Woke climate had been around in the Depression? We never would've had the Classic Hollywood era.

by Anonymousreply 96March 2, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote]What the hell were these movies ? How many streaming services did I need to see them ?

That's a big part of it. There are 105 different streaming services now and they all cost $$$. Most people aren't going to pay for all of them, and they also don't have nearly enough time to watch all of them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 97March 2, 2021 7:05 PM

No one wants another Zoom meeting. And Golden Globes have been the ugly stepchild lately - the whole Emily in Paris situation with them essentially buying nominations with that admittedly awesome trip just showed how much it did not have to do with merit.

by Anonymousreply 98March 2, 2021 7:16 PM

Tina and Amy are always fun. I agree with those who said it was format and lack of red carpet glamor, however I do think people are getting sick of awards shows and these rich celebs in a giant circle jerk. There should be one award every few years and all the stars have to fight it out Hunger Games style. That I would watch.

by Anonymousreply 99March 2, 2021 8:16 PM

Another problem is that award shows aren't special anymore. There are a ton of them and it used to be that an award show maybe you're only chance to see celebrities outside of the television and movies they were starring in. With instagram, and facebook, and twitter, and everything else, that's no longer the case. You can get an inside look at your favorite celebrity life anytime you want it.

by Anonymousreply 100March 2, 2021 9:03 PM

People have other priorities right now. A Zoom call on movies no one has seen is a waste of time. And how many times do we need to see Dan Levy accept yet another award? None!

by Anonymousreply 101March 2, 2021 9:13 PM

Movies are absolute shit right now. Nothing terribly interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2021 4:08 AM

Has St Viola Davis commented on her being bumped down to the third or fourth slot now?

by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2021 4:38 AM

I believe Steve Martin would have made the best host this year. I know he would have made the same woke points as Tina and Amy but with much more moving and genuine passion and then concluded his monologue by saying; "I therefore intend to donate MY ENTIRE GOLDEN GLOBE (long pause) gift bag to a person of color".

by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2021 4:44 AM

stfu Ms. Day. When you and your pale skin have suffered as much as I have and still remain sexy then you can address me but otherwise back off bitch.

by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2021 5:13 AM

Celebs lost their mystique years ago. Social media has made them all way overexposed. And yes, the public is tired of being lectured by a bunch of overpaid actors. Yawn. Most of us have real concerns.

by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2021 5:28 AM

[quote] Another problem is that award shows aren't special anymore. There are a ton of them

No there aren’t. There’s the Oscars, Golden Globes, Grammy, Billboard, Tonys, Emmys. The end. Those are televised. We used to have shit like Blockbuster Awards, CableAce, American Comedy Awards, TV Guide Awards, and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 107March 3, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote] I believe Steve Martin would have made the best host this year.

What century is this???

by Anonymousreply 108March 3, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote] decreasing monies spent on the military

“Monies”

Gurl.

by Anonymousreply 109March 3, 2021 5:34 AM

I left out SAG.

by Anonymousreply 110March 3, 2021 5:34 AM

r107 there is also the Critic's Choice, BAFTA, the Independent Spirit Awards and they are all crammed in the month before the Oscars. Last year there was an award show every weekend because the Oscars were so early.

by Anonymousreply 111March 3, 2021 5:36 AM

We haven't had TV for a year now so no interest in this . I think a lot of people cut the cord.

by Anonymousreply 112March 3, 2021 6:43 AM

Everybody's streaming now.

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2021 7:32 PM

The other issue is that younger people have NO attention span - they can't even watch a 22 minutes show without doing something else at the same time, so investing in a very boring awards ceremony is borderline impossible. And Tina and Amy are too old now - their dated brand of smarmy comedy is another problem.

by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Jane Lynch was dull and unenthusiastic in the pre show. She seemed like she didn't want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 115March 6, 2021 6:06 PM

The Weinstein Era did a big number on the Oscars, too. There was always a 'fixed' element to them, but it became so obvious around the turn of the millennium that the awards were bought and paid for. Also, the mainstream movies received fewer and fewer awards (when was the last time a mainstream hit like Titanic won best picture)? When people haven't seen most of the movies, they don't care as much. Combine that with social media and the epidemic, and people just don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 116March 7, 2021 4:37 AM

Jane Lynch is charm-free.

by Anonymousreply 117March 7, 2021 12:17 PM

116, and a year or two ago they had the opportunity to nominate a more auteur picture (Uncut Gems) that people were actually excited about, but they passed that opportunity up for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 118March 7, 2021 1:42 PM

When I first read this I thought it said "Golden Girls Ratings at All-Time Low" and I almost had a heart attack!

by Anonymousreply 119March 7, 2021 2:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!