Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Silly things you do for your pets

When I'm on the couch watching something on my iPad and my cat hops up to join me/sit on my lap, I adjust the positioning of the iPad to make sure she can watch, too.

You?

by Anonymousreply 121March 27, 2021 1:28 AM

I put in shows specific to entertain my cat. They have them on youtube. She enjoys them!

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 7:00 PM

So many pug accessories, so many. She's even got a raincoat despite refusing to walk in the rain. She has different blankets for different situations. One on my bed so she stays there, one one her elevated mesh dog bed, one for the sofa so she sits there and doesn't shed. Q-tips to clean out wrinkles.

Then the cute stuff - a pink fleece that was a huge hit in Charleston - a bunch of Japanese tourists took her picture. Of course, she goes into any high-end hotel b/c the staff will not ask her to leave. Pink dog collars in a variety of configurations. She's the best-dressed dog in the dog park.

I let her watch Youtube videos with loud dog noises, she howls or whimpers along.

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 7:07 PM

When one of my dogs is sitting on the recliner chewing their chew bone and it slips on the floor, they look at me so I will pick it up so they dont have get down and get it. And I do pick it up, repeatedly, like a slave.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 7:11 PM

I spend all spring, summer and fall taking my two cats to and from the gazebo. There's always one of them that wants to go and one that wants to come back. It's a never ending chore, but I do it. I even bought them a loveseat so that they're comfortable out there and installed new crank style windows because they used to scratch at the old screen ones. They probably go back and forth from the house to the gazebo about half a dozen times a day when I'm home. I've tried to no avail to break their habit. They basically own me.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 7:12 PM

I’m a tad OCD and a stickler for cleanliness. After my Fergie takes a doggie dump (she’s a Pom) I take a baby wipe and clean her little rear end hole. If she’s going to be on my bed sheets she must be immaculate!

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 7:21 PM

When I give my dog a shape biscuit, I always tell him which shape it is, as if I’m trying to educate him (“this one’s a fish...this is a bone...” etc)

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 7:31 PM

Bury them. My cat died Saturday. 😿

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 7:32 PM

I'm so sorry about that R7. You have my deepest sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 7:48 PM

I'm so sorry, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 7:49 PM

Burlap sack for all the unwanted puppies.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 7:51 PM

Talk to them

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 7:51 PM

Thank you. I'm always snarky on here but he was a lovely rescue cat who escaped death twice and finally had to say goodbye at 16 (him...I'm much older). Abused, couldn't be held, but super affectionate on his terms. I'd buy stock market quantities of toys but a shoelace remained his favorite.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 8:00 PM

R7 R12 I'm very sorry about your kitty, you sound like you gave that sweetheart a great home.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 8:06 PM

My dog was found wandering the streets when I got him. Every day before I go to work I play David Gates "Goodbye Girl" for him.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 8:19 PM

Awww, condolences to you, R7.

I forgot to add that I always let my cat know where I'm going/when I'll be home whenever I leave the apartment.

"Just going for my walk. I'll be home in an hour. Be a good girl."

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 9:56 PM

Very sorry for your loss, R7. I hope you find happiness again with a new kitty when you're ready.

I sing a made-up song (the bumblebee song). It's about my cat's favourite toy, a bumblebee on a wire. He comes running when he hears it. I would be mortified if a human heard me singing it (I have a horrible singing voice to boot).

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 10:19 PM

Call their cat friends and hold the phone for them.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 10:21 PM

Years ago, my partner and I had an elder basset who couldn't walk very well but loved to be outside. When the weather was bad, we'd wrap her in a blanket, put her in a little red wagon (or a sled when it snowed) and pull her around the neighborhood. She loved it.

Current hound gets a birthday party every year, balloons, a dog-friendly cake, party hats -- the whole thing. Before we were working from home, we'd leave the tv on for him (usually Animal Planet or the Cartoon Network). We also have little ramps from the floor to the sofa (and the yard to the porch) for easier access.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 11:06 PM

I describe in singsong whatever activity I'm engaged in for my pet (opening a can of good, spooning it into the dishes, cleaning the cat box, giving them fresh water, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 11:12 PM

opening a can of food, not good, although I do try to give them the good brands.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 11:13 PM

My dogs only drink Evian water.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 11:15 PM

Those of you who play videos on YouTube for kitties, or a cat game on your tablet, could you recommend some, please?

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 11:16 PM

Make sure the house is quiet for them. I know 4-leggers have sensitive ears.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 11:25 PM

R22 Here's one mine like. They like to wake up about an hour before I do, so when I hear the meowing at the bedroom door, I grab my phone and cast this or a similar "Bird feeder for cats" video to the living room tv and the meowing stops immediately. They'll watch for about half an hour before getting bored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 11:33 PM

I fill my mug with water before sleeping, because my cat just loves to drink water from my cup/glass instead of the various cat water bowls and fountains I've bought for her over the years...

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 11:35 PM

R22, check out Paul Dinning or Handsome Nature videos on YouTube. Lots of birds, squirrels, chupmunks, etc., often in eight-hour (or longer) chunks.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 11:36 PM

Love you OP!

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 11:36 PM

We adopted a parakeet whose previous owners didn't want him because he couldn't fly. He'd try, but couldn't gain any altitude and would glide down to the floor. I took him to an avian vet, who diagnosed a tumor on his wing that required a partial wing amputation. He had the surgery (to the tune of $300 (with which we could have bought ten new birds).

Even after the surgery, Henry's flying instinct still kicked in at times. He would launch himself into space but land on the floor with a thump. So I rigged his cage so it would be handicapped accessible. I placed the cage on a low table and left the door open so he could climb to the top of his cage, his favorite perch. Then I attached a long bird ladder that reached from the cage to the floor so that he could climb back up by himself. We also trained him to accept finger rides so he could see the rest of the house and look out the window. Henry died in 1997, but we still miss him and talk about him.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 11:38 PM

There’s an app called Catch and Paint Games for Cats that I downloaded on my iPad. It’s either free or relatively cheap.

My two cats love watching and “catching” the mice. I’ve had it a few years and they haven’t damaged my iPad screen while playing.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 11:41 PM

How sweet! Thanks, R24. :)

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 11:53 PM

And you, too, R26. xo

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 11:54 PM

That was so interesting, R24. I watched it with my cat for about 5 minutes. She was lying on me with her back to my face, but I could see her ears perk up and her little head swivel around looking at the animals. Then she got up and looked for them behind the computer screen but couldn't find them. So I felt kind of bad for confusing her. <3

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 12:03 AM

R5/OP gotta work your scat fetish in somehow

You don't have any pets. Can barely take care of yourself. You're just aping others you've known who have long since deserted you when they found out what a CREEP you REALLY are

They're just trying to survive the nervous breakdown years on

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 12:32 AM

He's in my will and is cared for financially in case I die tragically

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 12:51 AM

My cat has a nightly habit of bringing me his toys, one by one. He's been doing it since he was a kitten 12 years ago. Sometimes he delivers them to my slippers, sometimes at the couch if I'm sitting there, and sometimes he brings them into bed. This routine is accompanied by a special meow that's muffled by the toy in his mouth.

Each morning, I'll take the toys and hide them throughout the house, and in very tricky places for him to find. He always finds them, and always re-gifts them to me each night.

We are very much in love.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 6:15 AM

My feel good read of the day. Us gays might hate each other but we love our little ones. My hub & I have had wonderful cats & dogs thru time. It is horrible to say goodbye but each one holds special places in our hearts. Love them all.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2021 6:28 AM

R34’s last will and testament:

“To Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Jennifer Rachel Abergavenny Slocombe II, I leave all real property, attachments and liquid assets. To Bowzer and Sparky, I leave nothing for reasons known to them.”

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2021 6:45 AM

Before turning in for the night I make sure her fleece blanket is properly folded over half the bed, which is her side. She will wait patiently as I do this and then climb her steps up onto the bed. She’s a little bit entitled.

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2021 6:50 AM

R38 here. I’m talking about my dog, a female Maltese mix.

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2021 6:56 AM

What a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2021 10:05 AM

[quote]I describe in singsong whatever activity I'm engaged in for my pet

R19, I do that for my cat's breakfast and dinner, too! She knows the tune and goes to her dining spot (right in the main hallway) to await her meal.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2021 12:25 PM

R24 Great link! As soon as I opened it, the cat jumped onto the sofa with me and was hypnotized. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2021 1:04 PM

R35 - Adorable! I play a similar game with one of my cats. We have a fluffy string-like toy that we take turns hiding. When I leave the apt to run errands or go out for the day, I'll hide it somewhere. When I return home, it's always sitting in front of the front door so I notice it the minute I walk in. If I don't see it in front of the door, I go check where I hid it and it's usually not there. Then I have to play seek while my pretty darling waits patiently for me to find it. When I do find it, she runs over to me with a cute meow. We've been playing this game for over a year and it never gets old. I love her so much. My boy cat just stares at us with contempt from his regal cat tower.

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2021 3:50 PM

^^ Would love to try that with my cat, R43! I used to hide individual kibbles around the apartment before bedtime so she could "hunt" for food overnight, and they'd all be gone by morning.

How did your game first start?

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 4:46 PM

OP: It was started by her. Whenever I returned home from work or from being away from my apt, I'd notice the toy in front of the door. I just randomly started placing it in various places around the apt to tease her, and the game took on a daily life of it's own from there. Now that I'm working at home, she will drag the toy around the room and meow until I take it from her and secretly hide it somewhere when she's sleeping. If I'm not paying attention because I'm busy with work, she will stealthily hide it while I'm not watching and then do a specific type of meow to get my attention. When I look to see where the toy was last, if it's not there, then I know she wants me to play hide and seek for a bit. Little simple joys!

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2021 5:46 PM

Thanks, R43! My cat won’t touch her toys unless I do so first, so I don’t think this would work with her. Alas. She’s also afraid of the kitchen — I adopted her when she was four, and I often wonder what might have happened in her previous homes (two before me) to cause that.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2021 5:53 PM

The animals that have passed through my life were very lucky in that I like to give dogs a good brushing (fur). Beagles are not great for brushing, though, their fur hairs are actually long-ish, but they lie really flat to the body. Anyway, animals have been spoiled by all that physical attention.

Also, my brother had a cat adopted from the ASPCA. That cat was standoffish (but did like stomach rubs, weirdly). I did something to this cat that I saw on TV, which was to pet him on almost every area of his body (entire face, entire length of his legs, entire length of the tail). That cat ended up really liking me. Just a tip to those of you with standoffish cats.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote]R46 She’s also afraid of the kitchen — I adopted her when she was four, and I often wonder what might have happened in her previous homes

My rescue dog wouldn’t go into the bathroom. I wondered if he used to be locked in one.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 7:12 PM

My cat is spoiled rotten and greatly loved. He is a beautiful, affectionate ginger Tom, and I am always trying to find new ways to keep him entertained. He loves YouTube videos of birds and insects.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 7:29 PM

My mother's family served her nuisance pet rooster for dinner without telling her they had butchered it.

She never forgave them. En masse.

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2021 7:31 PM

R50 OMG, that's horrible. I bet they enjoyed the bunny boiling scene in Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 7:35 PM

r48, bathrooms have weird acoustics especially if there is a fan going.

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2021 7:41 PM

[R7] Sorry to hear that. You must have taken very good care of him from the way you write about him.

My cat hates being picked up, also walking. She will walk over to me and meow to be picked up, climb up onto my shoulder, and then down my back, demanding to ride me like a horse. I do it for her.

My previous cat (also a young adult rescue) would not kill anything, but if there was a bug in the house, she would meow in distress until I removed it for her. I took a lot of spiders/lizards/flies out for her over her life.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 7:42 PM

When I finally decided to channel my urge to rescue people into rescuing animals, my life changed infinitely for the better. Plus the animals have something to give back.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 7:43 PM

My dog has his own bedroom that is styled somewhat like a child's room, with two twin beds and a teepee that he likes to nap in. Every morning he sits on the bed closest to the window and watches for deer. I wipe his butt with a wet wipe after he poops (after we're back in the house; god forbid anyone see me doing this), and rinse his paws in the doggy bath it's muddy out. I've been brushing his teeth his whole life and his teeth have barely a trace of plaque, which prompts compliments from the vet like you would not believe.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 7:56 PM

Maybe not silly but, during the pandemic, Cos's favorite food (Fancy Feast Savory Centers) has been sold out most of the time. I've spent well over $300 ordering his food, when I can find it. I've probably spent $200 in gas driving around the various pet stores when I can find his food near me.

Set up my desk so that he can jump on his cat tower, onto the window sill, and then come up behind the monitor so he can sleep on the side of the desk or watch me work.

Put a small couch in the 2nd bedroom so that he can sleep comfortably when the sun hits it just right.

Purposely did NOT have my new kitchen cabinets go up the ceiling. When he's feeling frisky, he'll run down the hall, into the kitchen, jump on the counter, then to the top of the refrigerator, and onto the top of the cabinets. He's an indoor cat so he doesn't get to do much jumping around.

And, finally, make sure I put lightweight and/or fluffy comforters on the bed. When he wants peace and quiet, he tunnels under the comforter to sleep for a couple hours.

I can't imagine why he's so spoiled!

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 7:56 PM

I negotiate with him every time he comes upstairs to let me know he wants to go outside. I'll tell him "just a few more minutes until I'm finished" or "can you wait just one more hour?" I really do think he understands me.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 8:00 PM

He is gone now, and we two shared too many zany antics to list! Here's one:

My little dog and I would watch the Westminster Dog Show every year and, at the conclusion of the final round, I would declare him "Best In Show" and make an even bigger fuss than usual over him for the rest of the evening.

It's been nearly two years, and I don't cry as often now...

Cherish every moment with your beloved pet(s) and enjoy making a fool of yourself over them (you and they will be the only ones who know).

Sorry for your loss, R7.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 8:10 PM

R57, I do that with Cosmo! He eats dinner at 4 pm since the pandemic and I'm working from home. He'll sit in front of me earlier than that and I tell him how long he has to wait. He instinctively knows that I have a team Zoom call at 3 pm on M, W, and F. He always makes sure my team knows when it's getting close to 3:30.

R7, I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't have any pets for over 20 years because I always thought of the end and not the years I would enjoy. When my Mom's Dementia took a turn for the worse (she wasn't eating), I knew my grief would overwhelm me. I decided to adopt a kitten. It will be 5 years this year since we met and I brought him home. He's made me laugh every single day since then.

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 8:41 PM

No, R51. Boiled rabbit, even when dressed, is hideous. But they and we did eat a lot of rabbit. Fried and fricasseed. It gave us a break from squirrel, venison, and pork and beef we knew personally.

But poor Chuck-Chuck. (My mother's rooster.)

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 11:00 PM

R56 my cats favourite cat food has also been scarce since the pandemic. It’s the Dine Perfect Portions, but only the Tuna, Chicken, and Turkey flavours. I always stock up if I see it at the local supermarket cause its quick to disappear and ages to come back into stock.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2021 2:47 AM

I think I would like all you guys.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 2:58 AM

On roadtrips, my Australian shepherd will only ride in front passenger seat (secured in seat belt harness) and raise closest paw to be held on duration of drive

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2021 3:39 AM

R63, I forgot about ass napkins for my dad’s dachshund.

No matter how frequently I cleaned her ass, she’d sit on my lap while I drove and do a wiggle wiggle. A collection of dark gray wash cloths kept her foul cigar marks off my thighs. If it was a specific car, she’d also hit the hazard switch on the center console. I’d have the emergency brake on with the car and a/c running. People would shame me for giving her heat stroke. She thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2021 4:46 AM

Those of you looking for specific cat foods, a lot of pandemic shortages have eased, at least with places like Chewy and Hollywood feed. Some local mom and pop places will try to order stuff for you with a deposit. I overbought like crazy once my kitty's favorites came back in stock, now she's decided she likes other stuff. Oh well, I'll donate it all to the local shelter in a bit if she doesn't change her mind about her former favorites soon.

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2021 11:54 AM

Thanks, R65. What I find weird is that the cheaper Fancy Feast is always well stocked. The Savory Centers is about $1.05 per can. I can't imagine a lot of people are fostering or adopting cats and buying the more expensive kind. It's just weird.

I tried Chewy. Even asked them to email me when the food was back in stock. Didn't receive an email but happened to be looking on their site one day and found it by the case.

I have plenty of food to donate as well. I don't mind since its's for a good cause.

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2021 3:03 PM

I buy my little dog a 4-piece chicken nuggets from Wendy's once a week. He gets one per meal and loves them, whether they're good for him or not.

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2021 3:15 PM

I currently have 3 cats. My oldest is 11 1/2 and he was an only cat for years. I now have a 2 year old and a 10 month year old. Senior kitty despises both these intruders. For his benefit I will sometimes sleep on just a futon mat in another room at night. Only my senior cats goes there to sleep with me. The two youngsters stay in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2021 3:18 PM

When it’s really cold, I put a scarf around my pit bull’s neck because his coat is very thin. It’s adorable.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2021 3:38 PM

I so envy you all you loving and doting over furry, four-footed friends. I'm unfortunately deathly allergic to cats-to the point where I've ended up in hospital on oxygen. Allergy shots didn't work. The dog allergy is less but dogs need a backyard and I'm in a 23rd floor, one bedroom and sleep too long from depression for it to be much fun for a dog. So instead, I live vicariously thorough you great guys and gals who are giving theses little dears so much love and spoiling them rotten. This thread has really mad my day. Thank you, DL pet owners.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2021 4:03 PM

So sorry for your allergies, R70.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 4:33 PM

Since the beginning of the pandemic and working from home for the past year, my cat and I have lunch together every day. I usually have deli turkey or grilled chicken and fix her a plate. If I am having something she can’t have, like a PBJ sandwich, she gets cat food and doesn’t seem to mind. I think she just likes our lunch break together.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2021 4:43 PM

That's adorable, R72! I'm betting you like THIS coworker better than some of your office ones. At least cats don't eat with their mouths open or talk with their mouths full.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2021 4:48 PM

R72, I love it! I imagine you sitting on one side of the table, your cat on the other, both of you eating and trading the latest office gossip.

“OMG, did you HEAR about Ginny in billing?!”

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2021 5:56 PM

I made my horse Incitatus a Consul of Rome.

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2021 6:02 PM

R19 That sounds too adorable!

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2021 6:05 PM

Many allergies to cats are caused by a saliva enzyme, and there are a few breeds that lack that enzyme, R70. Worth investigating! I'm also allergic, but my oriental shorthair doesn't trigger my allergies at all.

by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2021 6:55 PM

[R66] - If I had to take a shot i the dark, I'd say they need different equipment modifications to make that kind with the gooey center injected. Other flavors are just put into a can with a normal filler, but that one probably needs a "gooey stuff injector". That means set up and break down probably take a lot longer, there may only be one retort to pick from instead of a bunch of them because the retort is probably validated differently. Actually are they maybe using a centrifuge to push the meat out to the sides and just add another step on it after retort with a different ratio of broth to meat? But then why is the broth in the center not the top or sides? It's an interesting question. Since it's the most expensive product type to produce there are probably fewer orders, and production managers who want $/minute are keen to schedule something easier, esp. if they're behind on common stock items. You can make 25k pallets of turkey flavor for 30 customers or 5k pallets of Savory Innards for 15, you don't make the Savory Innards very often.

If you call the number on the packaging, they will lodge it as customer feedback, and if you're lucky a salesperson may be able to tell you what stores near you had product shipped to you or you can ask them to send your request to the inventory person at the factory nearest you. Occasionally if you rave about their product they will send you coupons and might even send you product themselves. You could also try emailing, if you do that add cute pictures of your cat looking hungry.

My cats also like mainly broth meals, and will go so far as to lick the broth and leave the meat chunks then beg for more food. They have a "gravy lovers" variety pack that's more readily available. The compliment liquid packs from any brand are treats they love but they're disgusting and hard to open without getting some on you. Sometimes a little squirt of a liquid treat goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2021 7:09 PM

Sing to them, recite stupid raps

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2021 7:11 PM

R78, R66 here. To be honest, the "savory center" doesn't look like it does on the commercial. I suspect the gravy is just shot into the food hard enough to make a divot. Cosmo is strictly a pate-eater. I've tried the flaked and grilled foods. He just licks the broth and leaves the food.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2021 7:16 PM

So sorry to hear about your cat r7. It's so sad when they leave us.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2021 7:24 PM

Sunday bump for the pet lovers...

by Anonymousreply 82March 7, 2021 2:46 PM

I'm just LOVING this thread.

by Anonymousreply 83March 7, 2021 3:29 PM

Every cat that I had had his or hers own theme song. My favorite one was a sea chantey.

by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2021 3:49 PM

We had a similar ROFL thread last year about the "pets seated on the far barstool in the joint." I searched but couldn't find it, please link or "bump" it if you can.

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2021 3:53 PM

That was a great thread, r85.

by Anonymousreply 86March 7, 2021 4:14 PM

I can't find that particular thread, r85, but I did find this thread, which definitely falls under the subject of this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 7, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote]He's in my will and is cared for financially in case I die tragically

I hope you haven't told him. You may end up as tomorrow night's dinner.

by Anonymousreply 88March 7, 2021 4:26 PM

Gave my beagle tastes of foods like ice cream. Really not a good idea to get them liking human food, but this guy (dog) was buff, lean, and in shape!

I had an older dog (mixed breed, part German Shepherd). I'd give her American cheese slices just because she was old and needed a treat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 7, 2021 4:34 PM

Most of my silly pet behavior involves talking. Telling my cat where I'm going when I leave. Telling her to have a good day. I make up nicknames for her and sing silly, made-up songs. It's terrible, but I do answer back for her sometimes. Her so-called replies are snarky and telling me, in one way or another, what a foolish human I am. Also, I talk to her like people talk to their dogs, telling her what a good cat she is. The difference is, she already knows she's The Best. I'm just stating the obvious.

I am very mushy and give my pets kisses. When I first acquired my current cat, she was a stray, and when I tried to give her a kiss, I think she thought I was going to bite her. Now, she expects them. She will be on her way to her food/water bowls or something and will stop next to me so I can kiss the top of her head or her shoulder before she goes on her way.

by Anonymousreply 90March 7, 2021 7:20 PM

I'm wondering if any of you also adopt human pets.

by Anonymousreply 91March 8, 2021 7:50 AM

THis was a long time ago, but when I was very young I had a Pinocchio marionette that I kept hanging in the closet. You have to be careful with these puppets, because otherwise their strings will get tangled.

My parents had a little black poodle named Baudelaire, who was fascinated with yet also wary of the puppet. Sometimes he would come into my room and lurk near the closet looking at me: he wanted to interact with the puppet. I would take it out and animate it, even pet the dog with it. Sometimes he would back up or even run out of the room. THen he would come back after I had put Pinocchio back in the closet. The dog would hunt all over my room looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 92March 8, 2021 8:35 AM

A poodle named Baudelaire. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 93March 8, 2021 1:07 PM

I frequently ask my girl cat how she got so pretty, and my boy cat how he got so handsome. I compliment them on their sleek coats, their beautiful eyes, and ask them to tell me their secrets. They seem to recognize my tone/words because when I start playing this "how'd you get so pretty? Tell me!" game they start to preen or tjhey'll prance around the room as if showing off. I think they're trying to kill me with cute.

by Anonymousreply 94March 8, 2021 2:41 PM

Speaking of songs we made up for our pets...

It's the story Of a boy named Leo Who was living with three very lovely girls First came Baby Moo Then Tiny Zuzu And now Miss Asia, too The Kitty Bunch The Kitty Bunch That's the way they all became The Kitty Bunch!

I'll just show myself out...

by Anonymousreply 95March 8, 2021 2:49 PM

^^Ack! Sorry about the lack of formatting!

by Anonymousreply 96March 8, 2021 2:52 PM

None of these sound especially silly to me.

Glad to know there are loving pet owners on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 97March 8, 2021 2:52 PM

That's a sweet story, R94. I find that cats are very susceptible to tone of voice and seem to have a general understanding of what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 98March 8, 2021 5:38 PM

I'm saddened you lost your sweet kitty R7. It's been a long time since I felt that pain myself. I was out of the pet business for many years until fate brought a thrown away mama cat and 2 of her babies to me a year ago. Now I can't even imagine losing any of them.

by Anonymousreply 99March 8, 2021 5:52 PM

LOL - OP's story is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 100March 8, 2021 6:59 PM

[quote]OP's story is adorable.

Aww, thanks R100! (So's my cat.)

Likewise, so many of the posts in this thread are sweet and charming and funny. Keep 'em coming!

by Anonymousreply 101March 8, 2021 7:33 PM

My late K-9 companion had some trouble getting down from the bed and sofa, so I kept water bowls nearby for him. I would pick them up and offer him a drink every now and again when we were nesting quite awhile.

I also gave him real meat, chicken, and fish regularly. Most things I cooked he was given a taste of. I hope I loved him to death.

by Anonymousreply 102March 8, 2021 8:56 PM

R90, I have a weird habit that I can’t leave the house without saying goodbye to my cat and letting her know where I am going/when I should be back. I also find myself apologizing to her all the time, like if I fill her bowl but get distracted and forget to put it in her spot (Oh, sorry!). Asking her what she wants to watch on TV, etc.

I think about people who live completely alone and how unhealthy not talking for long stretches can be for some.

by Anonymousreply 103March 8, 2021 9:57 PM

The theme to any TV show is replaced with my cats' names. I'm so blessed that my partner plays along and does it too. We sound ridiculous singing the theme to PBS News Hour as "Mister Mister Mooo, Mooo Mooooo! T-Bone too!"

by Anonymousreply 104March 9, 2021 1:42 AM

My 3 kitties have set their own daily schedule. They're up at 5am for a couple hours of raucous play. By 7am they're at each of their lookouts at various windows watching the squirrels and birds. At 10am they go down for their long daily naps. Each one starts off in a separate spot but within a couple of hours they all end up in my bed in a pile where they stay practically comatose until around 5pm. I go in every hour or so and press my face into the pile of kitties and give them all kisses and do the most sickening baby talk to them you've ever heard. I don't care, they love it and so do I.

by Anonymousreply 105March 9, 2021 1:51 AM

This is such a happy little thread. Thank you OP!

by Anonymousreply 106March 9, 2021 2:56 AM

I just adopted a dog from a no-kill shelter. He had spent four years there because he doesn't do well with kids or other pets. And that posed a problem for adoption.

He is the sweetest, most wonderful little guy (a Husky/mix), but he's particular about where he pees and poops. When I first brought him home, he was able to do his business in the yard. But then we got hit by a huge storm, and subsequent ones that dropped a lot of snow. The snow right now is too deep for him.

So I discovered a local park about four miles away with lots of trees. It's where we usually take our afternoon walks and that's where he chooses to go. Three times a day I drive him to that damn park and he finds just the right tree, preferably with low branches to provide a little cover. I guess he's shy about being seen. It could be a conditioned response because the shelter is located in a wooded area and I am guessing that after four years he associates trees with pooping.

I am so hoping we get warmer weather soon and I don't have to be driving him so much. But I love him and I am willing to do anything to make him happy.

by Anonymousreply 107March 9, 2021 3:25 AM

I like the cut of your jib @venezia

by Anonymousreply 108March 9, 2021 3:38 AM

You're one lucky duo, R107. May you have many healthy and happy years together.

by Anonymousreply 109March 9, 2021 3:48 AM

I've trained my human to give me fresh, clean, cold water whenever he does his business in the room of many waters by jumping up on the sink and acting cute and purry. He always turns on the faucet for me. He then follows me to the food bowl in the kitchen where I pretend to starve. But I only want what he is eating because it is mine. I must entertain him as he has few gentleman callers, all of whom I claw.

by Anonymousreply 110March 9, 2021 6:23 AM

I move my elderly pug’s bed around the house to follow the sunbeams all day. He comes and looks at me if I forget. I also make him a cbd peanut butter snack at bedtime and tuck him in each night telling him what a good sweet pug he is.

by Anonymousreply 111March 9, 2021 11:23 AM

I wake up most everyday at predawn so we can play fetch in non-sanctioned dog park undeterred by other dogs, park rangers, etc., except for curious coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 112March 9, 2021 12:17 PM

R103, I do the same thing. When I go for my daily walks, I always tell Cosmo that Mommy will be be back in about an hour.

When I first adopted Cos, I was home all day that first week so he could get used to the sounds and smells of the house. That next week, I had to go to work. He would sit on the kitchen ledge as I walked out the door. In my twisted mind, he was looking at me like, "Where are you going? Are you coming back? You're leaving me??!!" It almost broke my heart. After about 2 weeks, he stopped sitting on ledge. I would walk around the house to find him so I could say goodbye. He'd give me a look like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know the drill. You're leaving for about 9 hours and you'll be back."

by Anonymousreply 113March 9, 2021 12:22 PM

R103 and R113, me too. I do it because my cat was a rescue who had two previous owners before me -- the first (per the shelter files) moved out of the country and didn't take her along, instead giving her to a friend. That friend then surrendered the cat to the shelter, claiming "allergies" (really? you didn't know you were allergic to cats when you agreed to take one in?).

So, as a courtesy, I want my cat to know that I'm not abandoning her, too -- just going grocery shopping or to the dentist or for a walk, etc., and will be home soon.

As an aside, she is the sweetest, cuddliest, most affectionate, floofy little cat, and I'm mystified how ANYONE could have given her up.

As for further silly things: all of her toys have names.

by Anonymousreply 114March 9, 2021 12:34 PM

I hang onto my dog stuffed animals while he humps them furiously. It's much easier than swatting him off my legs.

by Anonymousreply 115March 9, 2021 12:42 PM

Treat them like children

by Anonymousreply 116March 9, 2021 12:48 PM

r107, my friend had a great full-bred Husky guy, Jack, that used to poop in one spot on their backyard deck, like a cat. It was great taking him on long walks/hikes, for he seldom pooped elsewhere (although I did witness one incident where he started doing the hunch, and my friend starting yelling, "Jack! JACKIE!! What are you doing???!!", then started to deny it was his dog. I was telling him to give me a bag and Friend said, "I don't have any! He never poops outside!"

Jackie lived to be a ripe old age of 15, which is hella old for a Husky. I miss his soft howls of "Hello", which he would only do for a few people that he liked.

by Anonymousreply 117March 9, 2021 1:50 PM

Pet bump.

by Anonymousreply 118March 20, 2021 4:46 PM

OP has no pets. Just sits around w/multiple tabs opened on multiple devices

L A Z Y

Just like his mom who had sausage casings hanging off of arm bones.almost wanna post it here He sits around morning noon and night and brings visions of that

Hispanic troll fatty w/moobs who tried to facially disfigure BJÖRK bc she dated a black man

Same type of guy but this pussy won't off himself. Too busy stalking me, Tatum, Hilaria/Alec & now Jon Hamm

Say a prayer

by Anonymousreply 119March 27, 2021 1:09 AM

I walk my 17-year-old dog around the pool (on a leash) at least twice a day since he has dementia and is nearly blind. He gets scared/startled on neighborhood walks. As long as he’s still excited to do this, I will continue to look like an idiot to my neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 120March 27, 2021 1:18 AM

My dog is freaked out by trucks with ladders. I have had him since he was a puppy so I know he had never seen such a thing until he was 4 years old,, but when they were fixing the overhead wires on our street he'd bark and growl at them as if they were monsters.

One day we were out on a walk and there was a truck parked between where we were and the house and he just sat down and refused to budge (he is about 65 lbs.)

I picked him up and carried him past the truck (he growled at it on the way past) and when we got past it, he was fine and walked the rest of the way home.

For the next week he'd pause at the front door on the way out and sniff, clearly looking to errant trucks, and I'd pretend to look around and announce "no trucks" and then he'd start walking.

Fortunately no one was around to hear me.

by Anonymousreply 121March 27, 2021 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!