Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Goya Foods CEO to CPAC: "Trump is still the actual President!"

Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue continued to align himself with former President Donald Trump and his election fraud conspiracy theories during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Sunday, bizarrely claiming that “in my opinion,” Trump is still president.

“It’s just an honor to be here. But my biggest honor today is gonna be that ― I think we’re gonna be on the same stage ― as, in my opinion, the real, the legitimate, and the still-actual president of the United States, Donald J. Trump,” he said on the CPAC stage.

Since a July 2020 appearance at the White House, Unanue’s loud adulation of Trump ― who routinely expressed xenophobic views targeting Latinx communities ― has prompted ongoing calls to boycott Goya Foods, a New Jersey-based company that markets Latin American food products.

Goya’s board reportedly voted to censure the CEO in late January after he publicly questioned the legitimacy of the November election, which President Joe Biden won with a majority of the popular vote and 306 Electoral College votes to Trump’s 232. The decision meant Unanue will be prohibited from speaking to the media without the board’s permission, CNN reported.

It’s unclear if Unanue sought permission to make the CPAC address, during which he repeatedly and falsely suggested the election results were fraudulent and that Trump had won.

“We still have faith that the majority of the people of the United States voted for the president,” he said. “I think a great majority of the people in the United States voted for President Trump, and even a few Democrats.”

Goya Foods did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

Prior to the board’s decision, Unanue had faced renewed backlash over cable news appearances in the aftermath of the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection on the U.S. Capitol led by Trump’s supporters.

He claimed on Fox News that media and tech companies want to “cancel” God, free speech, and American culture, history and liberty by blocking Trump from social media platforms following months of his disinformation about the election. Unanue also said there was a “war coming” during a Fox Business appearance on Inauguration Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 11:31 PM

Goya, I will miss your chickpeas!

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 4:59 PM

Nazi food.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 4:59 PM

Is this an elaborate con and they're just trying to bilk the gullible, or do are these nutjobs who really believe what they say?

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 4:59 PM

This guy is a fucking cunt.

I sometimes buy Goya's sazon packets or gandules verdes for cooking, but no more.

I absolutely cannot tolerate this kind of bullshit.

They'll receive no more of my business.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 5:03 PM

I'd say it's a little bit of both R3.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 5:04 PM

He will be fired soon.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 5:12 PM

During the pandemic I've discovered Nuts.com, which has largely freed me from dependence on Goya (lentils, beans, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 5:16 PM

Didn't the board tell him to STFU? I know it's a family owned company, but this is fucked up.

Oh - and remember when he said that sales of Goya went up like 800%? With no proof?

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 5:17 PM

I'm shocked that he's a Spaniard.

They're usually quite liberal and open-minded. And smart.

This cunt is a fucking Nazi. He probably would have supported the Franco regime.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 5:21 PM

His whole family is a bigoted bunch of wealthy assholes. No jews. No blacks. No maricons. Just fine straight Puerto Ricans who come with deep family history in Spain. Not Africa. Not South America.

Avoid Goya products.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 5:26 PM

What a 🤡

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 5:28 PM

These people are literally retarded.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 5:30 PM

My partner and I went to the grocery store yesterday. He was insistent on buying a can of Goya tomato paste. I detest Goya so much that, while I paid for all the rest of the groceries, I refused to pay for the Goya can, so he paid for it with his own credit card.

I just sent him the article about what the CEO said.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 5:30 PM

The family is actually from Spain, R10.

They're not Puerto Rican.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 5:31 PM

Sorry. Here's the link for R14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 5:31 PM

Yes it is weird he's a Spaniard. Spaniards are usually quite liberal.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote] On January 20, 2021, Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue claimed on Fox Business that the novel coronavirus was used by the Democratic party, media, and technology elites to control the American public and steal the 2020 US presidential election: “I think this is mission accomplished — mission accomplished by the union, the partnership, the conglomerate of social media, Big Tech, big media, and government, big government — for ushering in the dawn of a new world order, this Great Reset, with an unverified election.” In the same interview, Unanue also claimed that the coronavirus would disappear soon after the inauguration of Joe Biden and that there would soon be a civil war in the United States: “There is a war coming, now that the president is leaving today, there's still coming after the United States, the working class.”

Fucking psycho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 5:39 PM

Yes, they have Spanish ancestry. But they are not in Spain. Their business is not in Spain. Their products are targeted to the Latinos found in the US. Who overwhelmingly are NOT Spanish.

But look at the Wikipedia page, probably done by their own publicity people. It underscores again and again that they are NOT Puerto Ricans. They market to Puerto Ricans, sell to Puerto Ricans, and get rich from Puerto Ricans. But they do not want to be perceived as Puerto Ricans. And socially they will have nothing to do with Puerto Ricans, UNLESS there is a claim to a fine Spanish family in the background. It's a nasty kind of racism and classism that is pervasive all throughout Latin America. And this family revels in it.

They are a nasty bunch. Robert Unanue's speech is entirely what one would expect from this people.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 5:47 PM

Going to ask Shaw's Supermarket to sell black, red and white beans made by companies other than Goya. If not, I'll find a new Supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 8:20 PM

Start 'dropping' the cans in the aisle. Every trip a little more. Fuck up their inventory. Especially at Publix.

Fuck these fascists.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 8:28 PM

Yeah... I would only rarely buy a Goya product in the past (before all the trump noise).

But at this point, their brand is very memorably linked to Trump in my mind.

I won't ever have trouble remembering whether or not I despise them when seeing the brand on the shelf.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 8:38 PM

I loooooooove the idea of denting their cans! I’m in a bad mood from hearingbthis Goya shit. I’m heading to the grocery store to drop some shit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 8:40 PM

UGH, , what a CUNT

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 8:42 PM

I prefer their olive oil though.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 8:47 PM

If you buy it you're a fucking Francoist, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote] Going to ask Shaw's Supermarket to sell black, red and white beans made by companies other than Goya. If not, I'll find a new Supermarket.

What other companies sell these types of Latin American food products?

It sucks that Goya seems to have cornered the market in this food group.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 9:12 PM

Goya is the 377th largest private company.

The family is worth$1.1 billion, so obviously rich, but not stupidly, fabulously wealthy (ridiculous that $1 billion no longer makes you notable for being wealthy).

Too bad there isn't an outside board of directors to oust him. That he continues to run the company without censure is a sign that his entire family must think as he does...

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 9:23 PM

R26

Specific brand alternatives don't spring to mind. But I know that I've never looked for something at a store and been left in the situation of "Oh, there's only one brand of this and it's Goya."

It's not like finding an alternative source of garbanzo beans is a daunting obstacle

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 9:29 PM

They just care about making money, R27.

He sounds like an arrogant prick, and he knows that he can say whatever he wants with no repercussion.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 9:29 PM

So which companies are going to offer Goya employees a job opportunity when and if their boss goes bankrupt?

I’d start clearing space for them now and advertising that they shouldn’t have to enrich a fascist just because they require steady income. “Don’t wait until it’s too late - jump ship now, and we’ll honor your pensions and seniority.”

I’d buy from that company - after doing a little background check on their affiliations, of course.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 9:36 PM

Aren’t there other brands of garbanzo and black beans or tomato paste where you guys live? I live in California, so I realize that I might have a few more options, but your stores have there own brands or some alternatives probably. The Goya section in the stores around here is very small, if they carry it all.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 9:39 PM

GOYA food products are easy to buy around.

Let's do this, DL.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote] Aren’t there other brands of garbanzo and black beans or tomato paste where you guys live?

Of course.

But it's the specialty foods from Goya that are hard to find in stores.

Goya is pretty much the only brand that sells canned pigeon peas and sazon packets.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 9:50 PM

Maria!!

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 9:57 PM

the company has been trying to distance themselves from him. How much longer do you think he will be CEO?

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 10:01 PM

R33, Ok I get it. There’s Badia products, but I don’t know anything about the company and I wasn’t too impressed with the flavor of their seasonings, it was overwhelmingly MSG. I’m going to go without anything Goya though. I haven’t bought Smuckers, any Koch Brothers products or Barilla pasta in years. I’ve never been to Chik-Fil-A and I never will.

So, if you want to vote with your dollars, find a way to make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 10:03 PM

I buy Unico, a good Canadian company.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 10:07 PM

Badia are Miami Cubans, so there's that. 😕

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 10:10 PM

Thank you r38! Here’s some ideas on the Spruce Eats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 10:45 PM

Dumb Latin guy.

Simples.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 10:47 PM

I will never buy those fucking beans again!

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 10:53 PM

What should I do with the cans of Goya products and seasoning packets that I have on my shelf???

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 10:57 PM

I’m totally denting some cans when I go to the store!!

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2021 12:55 AM

I love nuts dot com, r7! I sound like a shill but it's the truth, I've been buying from them for years.

We also have La Preferida brand in our grocery stores and it's just as good as Goya. The Goya doesn't sell well apparently, at least where I shop, even El Paso and store brands are sold out sometimes but never Goya.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 9:12 AM

Do I have to throw out my bags of Goya beans?

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2021 9:43 AM

You already bought them R45 so throwing them out will serve no purpose.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2021 10:09 AM

I was boycotting, now I think it has to get to delisting. If a store carries that shit, they're boycotted or worse until the brand disappears. Fuck 'em up.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2021 10:09 AM

Good cause I was hoping to make vegetarian pinto beans today.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 10:20 AM

I love their black beans and will never give this piece of shit fascist one red cent, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Some supermarkets have exclusive distribution deals with Goya, and have entire aisles full of only their stuff. Be a Karen, speak to the manager.

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2021 11:12 AM

R42 Food pantries need your help. Make something positive out of this.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 11:14 AM

[quote] but your stores have there own brands

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] Do I have to throw out my bags of Goya beans?

To those saying dent their cans, “accidentally” tearing a bag or two (or three) of their beans would be more effective.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 11:19 AM

I would buy Goya beans from time to time, buy never again. A lifelong ban from now on.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 11:21 AM

You can’t spill the rice...the bag won’t rip so easily. Cans though, can be dropped and nobody wants that dented can.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 12:12 PM

Heh, just checked. I have a can of garbanzo beans and a package of dried ones but they are both the store brand—which is probably Goya.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 12:33 PM

Every time you’re at the grocery store, ‘accidentally’ run your cart into the Goya section. The route drivers for Goya will quickly get the message, and senior management at Goya will force the CEO to shut the fuck up. Simple grassroots protest.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 12:39 PM

Sales up 800%?!?! Sure, Jan. Like the MAGATS could even find the ethnic food aisle much less be caught dead buying anything from it.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 12:56 PM

what the fuck is wrong with these fools?

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 1:00 PM

HEB has a huge variety. Or check Thrive Market for delivery options?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 1:04 PM

Et voila:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2021 1:06 PM

What’s this Goya brand? Is this what them there Spanish peoples eat? 🤡

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2021 1:31 PM

GOYA

oh BOYA

by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2021 1:35 PM

[quote] You can’t spill the rice...the bag won’t rip so easily.

Oh.

I sometimes carry my car keys with me in the store so I don’t lose them. I guess I have to stop picking up the beans with that hand.

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2021 2:15 PM

[quote] voila

That’s my sister’s name.

by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2021 2:15 PM

Walmart has house brand black, red and other beans that are no salt and salted. I’ve used them and they’re fine.

Another favorite is SunVista. I use no salt beans, and both their salted and non-salted versions are fine. SunVista produces a lot of different types of beans. Black, pinto, red and some others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2021 2:31 PM

Heres a grocer that sells Mexican foods online, if you’re looking for sauces or other items you can’t get near home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2021 2:35 PM

My husband is Latino and in this part of New England, there aren't a lot of Latin/Caribbean food choices. Our local supermarket is lazy and Goya seems to monopolize their shelves.

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2021 2:44 PM

That's the real problem, R68.

Caribbean Latinos need to step up and start opening businesses to compete with these GOYA fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 69March 2, 2021 5:30 PM

Why is this "free speech"? The Congresspeople who denied the election results should be purged by the way.

by Anonymousreply 70March 2, 2021 6:37 PM

Maybe r68’s husband can open one.

by Anonymousreply 71March 2, 2021 9:24 PM

I've always used La Costeña. No need for anything made by Goya.

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!