Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amanda Gorman's white nonbinary Dutch translator forced to quit because they is not Black!

Crazy woke-ists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 11, 2021 4:22 PM

LITERAL VIOLENCE

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 4:48 PM

Just don't translate it then, stops any bridges being built between races. Win for the right wing and for the extreme left wing.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 4:51 PM

This is just weird.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 4:51 PM

I am shocked too. We need to put more money into black Dutch translators.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 4:52 PM

Gorman actually selected the translator herself. Apparently that doesn't cut any ice with the Twitter mob.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 4:53 PM

It's almost as if the twitter lot are given far to much influence, especially considering how easily it is to manipulate what is tweeted to follow an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 4:55 PM

Correction, OP: they ARE not Black, you racist sinner!

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 4:56 PM

And the translator is non-binary, That didn’t matter either.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 4:56 PM

Way to put the trans back in translator.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 4:57 PM

Omg, is it really 'they are' even if it denotes a single nonbinary individual?!

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 4:58 PM

I don't understand. Gorman selected this individual, who has won the International Booker Prize, to translate her work, so how does an activist have a problem with this? Isn't there a lesson here about staying in your own lane and policing Gorman's choice or something? Has Gorman commented?

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 5:01 PM

[quote]Omg, is it really 'they are' even if it denotes a single nonbinary individual?! —GermanGayGuy

They are two people, that’s why they are they.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 5:02 PM

So Gorman chose the translator personally, then someone with 2,700 people tweeted at the right combination of people. Why even pretend this person exists, let them tweet into the wind and throw a temper tantrum alone.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 5:03 PM

I recently cleaned out my ignored file and had forgotten all about the existence of noted shitstain GermanGayGuy.

Read the article, idiots. The translator was not forced to quit.

I guess I could spend all day on DL writing fake headlines just like our fake German asshole here, but not sure what point there is to it. The few people fooled by this nonsense will have forgotten it happened within 24 hours, tops, and the trolls pushing this lie will be trolling about something else within 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 5:04 PM

‘Translator’ by Amanda Gorman

In a world of change how can you hate her

I have to say I really like her

I like the power I get when I masturbate her

Here’s a secret I’m a Dyke for her

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 5:05 PM

We should really start using ‘they IS’. Otherwise it’s so confusing.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 5:06 PM

You might as well say “they be.”

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 5:07 PM

This is literal reverse racism.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 5:08 PM

“They’s be” r17

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 5:09 PM

First I stub my pinky toe on my bed frame. Now this!

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 5:10 PM

R18 Nope, it's straight up racism. No such thing as reverse racism.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 5:10 PM

R21 point taken

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 5:11 PM

(S)he should not have backed down.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 5:17 PM

R14 You should brush up on your reading comprehension. Yes, the translator was pressured into quitting because of the hue and cry over her not being black. That's exactly what the article says.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 5:20 PM

There are black Dutch people?

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 5:22 PM

Ever heard of Zwarte Piet, r25?

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 5:26 PM

r25 Virgil van Dijk, famous black Dutch soccer player.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 5:30 PM

Gorman should be taken to task just for choosing a white person in the first place. Doesn't she know how hard black people have it? How dare she.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 5:49 PM

Amanda Gorman is a de facto racist

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 6:12 PM

What don’t y’all understand? It’s called “racism”. Conservatives aren’t the only bigots. We are fucked as a society with all of these assholes on both sides arguing over skin color and sexuality. That shit shouldn’t matter, but to them it does.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 6:16 PM

That article is poor. Intentionally or otherwise, the author waited too long to mention that Gorman chose the translator; that's shitty writing.

I was reading the article and wondering what Gorman thought... wondering... wondering.

And, finally, along came the bombshell.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]This is literal reverse racism.

Reverse racism is redundant.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 6:24 PM

Germangayguy, Surviving Angel and Defacto are what's known as incendiary trolls. They are rightwing. Surviving angel is Anti Sussex trolling , Defacto Pro trump and Germangayguy anti trans. They all posted threads within a short time frame. They all have signatures. They all cross post without signatures in each others posts. You do the math. Go to Surviving Angels latest thread about playing the city. Post 18 on that thread is what it's about. The Sussex interview. These trolls read as professional.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 6:27 PM

R33 Victim not city. Sorry

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 6:27 PM

I don't think this level of segregation will help any race in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 6:32 PM

OP is a Trumpster who is probably busy trying to get Liz Cheney fired for standing up to Trump

And thanks for calling out these trolls, r33! Hate these hypocritical right-wing assholes who bitch about cancel culture while trying to cancel Democracy

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 6:37 PM

It's not like translators are growing on trees in the Netherlands. It does take a certain talent beyond just being able to read both languages. I doubt there is a black translator with the poetic abilities to translate a book of poetry, which is more difficult than prose translation, in the Netherlands. So, basically, they are going to get a worse translation now.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 6:39 PM

It won't matter if the translation is worse. All that matters here is that the translator will NOT be a white person!

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 6:40 PM

Like you couldn't just use Google Translate for her slop anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 6:51 PM

Dutch people who might take any interest in Amanda Gorman's "poems" are perfectly able to read her in English. Their English literacy is better than 90% of Americans.'

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 7:11 PM

Why are they even translating that bland poetry? Black led guilt doesn't exist outside of America.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote]Dutch people who might take any interest in Amanda Gorman's "poems" are perfectly able to read her in English.

This is, unfortunately, true. The Dutch make us all look stupid. And anyway it's not like Gorman uses big words in her "poetry" either.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 8:00 PM

OP = obvious racist.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 8:03 PM

The only time I’ve seen anyone stand up to the Twitter woke mob were JK Rowling and Trader Joe’s. JK has to endure actual death threats (not the “I hope you die” kind either) but commercially she’s still a major success. Trader Joe’s doesn’t give a fuck and is doing fine.

When will other follow suit and say “fuck off” to the dumb social media crowds?

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 8:04 PM

[quote]So, basically, they are going to get a worse translation now.

No they're not. One of the criticisms of choosing Rijneveld was that they had poor experience as a translator and poor English, but they (I'm tryin' here) won the International Booker so it was young literary celebrity + young literary celebrity.

However, they are a lovely writer in Dutch (better than Gorman) and Amanda should have interceded if there really was a connection. Jammer.

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote}I don't understand. Gorman selected this individual, who has won the International Booker Prize..

In other words, "merit"?

How quaint!

It's all about filling quotas now, no matter what. Get with the left's program!

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]I don't understand. Gorman selected this individual, who has won the International Booker Prize..

In other words, "merit"?

How quaint!

It's all about filling quotas now, no matter what. Get with the left's program!

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 8:10 PM

I don't know xer.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 8:11 PM

De kutwokeheuvel die we beklimmen.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 8:13 PM

Verbazend... moedig

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2021 8:18 PM

R14 and R33 are correct.

This is a rightwing troll thread started by a rightwing troll. Bizarrely, OP also pretends to be german and liberal for some reason that's beyond me. And with this particular rightwing troll, I doubt he's actually gay. This is a fraud that's already been thoroughly exposed repeatedly on this site. Here are some choice quotes from past posts by GermanGayGuy:

"Woke people are the worst. I hope covid mutates and kills all the perma-triggered snowflakes from Wokeistan!"

"Democrats and deplorables just suck equally!"

"Liberal, white Americans are so exhausting. I never thought I'd say that, but I think I hate them as much as I hate Deplorables, maybe even more, because I am more attached in culture and thought to liberals."

He has also promoted an 'influencer' for the homophobic, neo-nazi 'educational institution' PraegerU.

It's probably not a coincidence that over a half dozen different threads devoted to trashing transgender people have been bumped all morning (when usually it's two or three threads at a time being focused on for that are devoted to hate-mongering around that particular group)

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2021 8:27 PM

R25 Yes, they live in Aruba.

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2021 8:31 PM

Actually, they live in Rotterdam.

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2021 8:35 PM

“Dey’s be”

by Anonymousreply 54March 1, 2021 8:35 PM

Twitter wants to divide society

[quote] If you cannot achieve equality of performance among people born to the same parents and raised under the same roof, how realistic is it to expect to achieve it across broader and deeper social divisions?

by Anonymousreply 55March 1, 2021 8:43 PM

Can't Amanda copy and paste her own poems into Google Translate? Or get an intern to do it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 1, 2021 8:49 PM

Thanks, r51

I always felt GGG was suspect (and certainly not German) but I couldn't put my finger on exactly why

by Anonymousreply 57March 1, 2021 9:10 PM

R57

My pleasure

by Anonymousreply 58March 1, 2021 9:15 PM

I am really German and really gay and I am not transphobic. How can I prove that to you?

And that user Ooze hates me!

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 3:25 AM

So who would have an interest in pushing the false story that Amanda herself fired the Translator because he's not Black???

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 3:41 AM

Look who’s trying to stay in the news, and the media facilitating that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 6, 2021 7:10 AM

That poor skinny Black girl!

by Anonymousreply 62March 6, 2021 7:43 PM

Apparently there is a young black female native Catalan speaker just out there waiting to be found!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote]forced to quit because they is not Black!

"Oh my!" a la puissance treize!!!

by Anonymousreply 64March 11, 2021 1:12 AM

Ok people. This isn't "the Aleph" or some deeply complex work. There aren't deep historical allusions or rhyming patterns that need to be realized and perfected in a different language.

It's getting ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2021 12:36 PM

She just seems like a fraud to me. There's nothing there. Her work sounds like anything you can read on Twitter, strung together.

by Anonymousreply 66March 11, 2021 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!