Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It’s Meteorological Spring!

The treetops are alive......with the sound of r g blackbirds & grackles. There are literally hundreds of these blackbirds standing in the treetops calling & singing. The song sparrows are singing, too. I’ll link to their song below. RWBB & grackles are the first birds back from winter migration here in the Northeast coast of the US. But most people — even most birdwatchers — have no idea that they are.

Unfortunately I was in the hospital for the past week & I asked my husband to feed my last remaining guineas fowl. He said he did bit when I got home there was no evidence of any seeds on the ground & in fact the ground had been well dug up by birds using their claws looking for food. My guinea is nowhere to be found. He needs to be fed in winter because there are no insects for him to eat. And yes, my husband claimed he fed him every day. Claimed. Obviously, he didn’t and the bird probably died since it was down in the 20s last week and he needs suet & seeds to build up fat to burn in the cold.

Here’s the song sparrow...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 3:25 PM

Here’s the r g blackbird song/call. Scroll to “songs & calls” on lower right of page. You’ve heard this one before, especially if you go for walks along water in summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 2:58 PM

Here’s the grackle, looking like an insane shiny muppet, making its “rusty gate” sounds. They also make a short sound like a mean duck quack, I always call it “casting spells.” They just remind of a bunch of witches casting spells at the smaller birds at the feeder.

Meteorological spring is good for us humans because it means seasonal spring is getting closer & gives us hope for nicer weather in a few months. But for backyard birdwatchers who put out seed it’s the end of “little bird”:season. Small birds like chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, juncos, white throated sparrows take over feeders in winter (although plenty of blue jays & cardinals for competition). The little winter birds are cute & less mean than the aggressive black it’s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 3:06 PM

Your husband sounds like a real beauty.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 3:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!