Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Biden Backs Amazon Warehouse Workers' Union Drive

Without naming the massive e-commerce company specifically, President Joe Biden said in a video posted late Sunday that he supports the organizing drive in Bessemer, Ala.

"Today and over the next few days and weeks, workers in Alabama and all across America are voting on whether to organize a union in their workplace," Biden said in a video shared to his Twitter page. "This is vitally important — a vitally important choice, as America grapples with the deadly pandemic, the economic crisis and the reckoning on race — what it reveals is the deep disparities that still exist in our country."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77Last Thursday at 7:16 PM

Do you support the labor union? I am not a big fan, but I find myself fully support the workers at Amazon warehouse to join the union.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2021

I was a part of that system for years. The people of the union start our saying they want to help the members. But, in the end, they're like leaders in communist countries. They start looking our for themselves and coming up with ways to service the union not its members.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2021

R2 as opposed to the company, which makes every decision based on how it will affect its workers! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2021

We should have private sector unions much more significantly.

We won’t get them. How much big tech and Wall Street money went to Ds and Rs in 2020?

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2021

Companies get the unions they deserve. Amazon should get Jimmy Hoffa’s Teamsters.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2021

R3 if you think a company doesn't want happy workers, you've never run a company. Having unhappy or disgruntled workers are one of the quickest ways to destroy a business. Just ask the automakers of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2021

It's not about workers being "happy", unless by happy you mean getting a larger cut of the profits they create with their labor.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2021

Um, if Amazon workers were “happy” and the company was looking out for them they wouldn’t be attempting to form a Union.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2021

[quote] if you think a company doesn't want happy workers, you've never run a company.

If you think they give a fuck you’ve never been in a corporate environment.

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2021

This is the single greatest thing he’s done so far

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2021

check the dirty tricks Amazon is using here, they installed a new "mailbox" in front of the warehouse just to collect the votes so they can video record who has voted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2021

and Amazon changed the timing of traffic lights so union supporters can't canvass workers during the stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2021

good for him

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2021

Expect negative stories about Biden to now start popping up in Bezo's Washington Post.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2021

r5, you've reminded me of when I worked in Michigan in 2010, and the Teamster Captain had a bomber jacket with the legend on the back:

(at top) "Teamsters Local XXX (I don't remember)"

(at bottom) "Friends of Hoffa"

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2021

Bezos could improve the lives of workers by forfeiting some of his wealth. What is he planning to do with it? That is why McKenzie Scott is a personal hero, she gave half of it away.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2021

To each, according to need

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2021

R14 Brazos has actually been pretty hands off with the Washington Post. It's not a Murdoch company who seems to think he is the reincarnation of Randolph Hearst.

by Anonymousreply 1803/01/2021

Yeah, he's too busy getting swole and banging old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2021

For the proletariat!! 💪💪

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2021

Is that going to mean higher prices?

I wish we’d drop all the tariffs on imports. Stuff could be so much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2021

They have to automate everything. Zero worker exploitation that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2021

The robots are getting better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2021

Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2403/02/2021

r21 considering Amazon makes billions in profits each year it doesn't mean higher prices unless Amazon wants to make their prices higher. They could easily treat their workers better AND still be a highly profitable company.

Amazon definitely wants to move away from humans, like Uber - they both see automation as the best way not to have to deal with stuff like this. But in the meantime they should definitely be treating their workers better. Workers are treated as machines or cogs in a greater machine and easily replaceable if they aren't meeting the ever-increasing goals. They will wring blood from that stone.

I swear we have some anti-union propagandists here. There are posts like this that immediately get responses that all sound the same across the threads.

by Anonymousreply 2503/02/2021

I want low prices and fast delivery. Tariffs, sanctions, and unions seem to invite higher prices for consumers. I agree in free association: if they want to unionize, so be it. But I could see Amazon closing unionizing warehouses/fulfillment centers.

I hope as more things automate more and more, they'll toss consumers some of the savings in the form of lower prices.

by Anonymousreply 2603/02/2021

r26 no one is talking about tariffs and sanctions and it's unrelated to this. While that's great that you want low prices and fast delivery, as do most people, that does not mean unions are the cause or that they interfere with your ability to get a bargain. They are a means of collective bargaining that puts workers more on par with the giant company than any one worker can do alone. And they are allowed and protected by laws. Of course those laws have been progressively weakened over the past decades due to Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2703/02/2021

Good. While unions *can* be fucked up, they’re better than not having any.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2021

R27, I mentioned tariffs and sanctions because they're among high-profile things driving up costs for some consumer goods; I was trying to relate them with unions because unionization may have the same effect. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 2903/02/2021

r29 this is one warehouse out of many. It will have no affect on the prices you pay through Amazon, but it will likely improve working conditions for thousands of people.

by Anonymousreply 3003/02/2021

R30, the media are arguably championing the unionization effort because it could ripple outwards to many warehouses.

IF Amazon wants to stop it quickly, they should just shut down the warehouse entirely. Not saying that's good (lots of angles to consider), but that could be something they might want to consider doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3103/02/2021

I couldn't be more pro-Union - especially for workplaces such as Amazon. Makes NO sense to not have one. Amazon will - and has - fuck over their employees every single chance they can if allowed to do so.

by Anonymousreply 3203/02/2021

[quote]Good. While unions *can* be fucked up, they’re better than not having any.

Unions are the only way to take on employers as unscrupulous and manipulative as Amazon.

But some of the unions are run by men as dishonest, greedy and power hungry as Bezos. Their influence is poison.

by Anonymousreply 3303/02/2021

r31 Amazon will take a massive PR hit if they do that. Amazon facilities in Europe are already unionized, they know how to work with them. The press is just reporting on it as well as the techniques Amazon has been using (quite a lot) to discourage the unionization. Of course unionization is part of the fabric of the US. You sound like a concern troll.

r33 to whom are you referring?

by Anonymousreply 3403/02/2021

[quote][R33] to whom are you referring?

Ever heard of Len McCluskey, the most malevolent man in Britain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2021

[quote] R31 Amazon will take a massive PR hit if they do that.

75% of consumers won’t know that it happened, or won’t understand what it means.

20% will be upset but will forget in about two weeks, or won’t change their shopping habits.

Maybe 5% will be upset for a longer duration. Half of those will bother to buy less from Amazon. The others will continue shopping but will tell their friends they’re boycotting.

Cost-benefit analysis: 2.5% buying less stuff vs. the threat of nationwide unionization?

by Anonymousreply 3603/02/2021

R35 this is an American union, but nice try.

R36 Amazon is in danger from Congress, not a boycott. They are a monopoly at this point and it's not a matter of if they are broken up, but when.

by Anonymousreply 3703/02/2021

These anti-union people in this thread are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3803/02/2021

[Quote] Expect negative stories about Biden to now start popping up in Bezo's Washington Post.

Why do you think Biden came out with this video message in the first place? Bezos' paper spent the last three weeks trashing Neera Tanden and working to sink her candidacy for OMB director. I'm glad they did, but this is the opening salvo of the revenge that Ron Klain is about to exact upon Amazon. Of course, this means that now the press is going to war with the Biden administration. This is going to get nasty fast. No more Honeymoon period.

[Quote] I hope as more things automate more and more, they'll toss consumers some of the savings in the form of lower prices.

LOL Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2021

I’m looking forward to Amazon satellite Internet service. No more cable Internet.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2021

R38

Omfg, I know. Reading R2, I almost laughed.

What a cliché. Right down to the "they're like leaders in communist countries".

Yeah, the real enemies of workers are the organizations representing workers! It's not the people trying to pay you as little as possible while extracting as much as possible from you! The unions are the enemy!

There are really not enough eye-rolls in the world. I want to sincerely ask how many lead-based paint chips they ate as a child.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2021

What's going on with this?

by Anonymousreply 4203/31/2021

so, amazon will raise its fees hurting customers and small businesses that use its platforms while ultimately reducing the amount of people it hires?

a bad review doesn't particularly hurt amazon but those that sell through it when employees go on strike

but perhaps we can ditch them and take in border caravans because keep hearing no one else will work these kind of jobs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2021

They need to automate everything ASAP, and pass down some of the massive savings to customers.

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2021

Unions are awesome --- for the bottom 20 percent of underperforming workers. Don't we have enough labor laws in place to eliminate the need for unions?

by Anonymousreply 4503/31/2021

Jesus Christ there's a lot of anti-union concern trolls.

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2021

This is amazing. Bidens doing more in two months than Obama in 8 years. RESPECT.

by Anonymousreply 4703/31/2021

I was part of an effort to unionize a workplace, the amount of effort the company spent to shut us down was breathtaking.

One of the managers in charge of the anti union effort was running for local office as "union friendly", so I made sure his potential constituents knew about said union busting for management, and he did not succeed. The actual friend to unions won.

by Anonymousreply 4803/31/2021

[quote] The counting of votes that will determine whether a union can form at an Amazon warehouse in Bessemer, Ala., begins Tuesday. But the results of the union election, one of the most consequential in recent memory, may not be known until later this week or early next week because the vote can often involve a painstaking process that will be closely scrutinized by representatives from the union and Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4903/31/2021

NLRB is counting the votes. Should take a bit of time. I saw 2 weeks in an article yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5003/31/2021

r44 feminists are calling for robot rights from sex toys that don't focus on female pleasure thereby creating unrealistic standards for men and causing rape to drones and warehouse machinery because it's slavery. and they still have ptsd from the brave little toaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5103/31/2021

Tariffs and unions make goods more expensive. Not into either. Unions scare me. I guess I’ve fallen for the propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 5203/31/2021

Yes, you and the 90 other anti-union propagandists in this thread.

There's far too many of you that show up whenever anything "union" is mentioned for it to be anything but paid trolls intended to sway discourse against unions.

by Anonymousreply 5303/31/2021

[quote] Amazon is fighting the union. The company argues the warehouse created thousands of jobs with an average pay of $15.30 per hour — more than twice the minimum wage in Alabama. Workers also get benefits including health care, vision and dental insurance without paying union dues, the company said.

Sanders spoke at a union rally in Birmingham on Friday, saying a labor victory against the tech and retail giant owned by the richest person in world — and in a historically anti-union state — would resonate across the country.

“What you are doing here is historical, historical, because all over this country people are sick and tired of being exploited, sick and tired of not having the dignity that they deserve. And your message to people all over this country is stand up and fight back,” Sanders said.

“This country belongs to all of us, not just a handful of billionaires,” the former Democratic presidential candidate said.

Ahead of Sanders’ visit, Amazon CEO Dave Clark tweeted that they “actually deliver” a progressive workplace with a $15 hourly minimum wage and good health benefits that Sanders said he supports.

“So, if you want to hear about $15 an hour and health care, Senator Sanders will be speaking downtown. But if you would like to make at least $15 an hour and have good health care, Amazon is hiring,” Clark tweeted.

r53

[quote] According to BAmazonUnion.org, workers are fighting for “dignity and respect” along with safer working conditions. Theirs is both a civil rights and a labor struggle. They are part of the proud history of the Bessemer-Birmingham area’s Black community, from the independent, interracial unionism of the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers in the 1930s and 40s to the 1963 Children’s March against racist segregation.

Amazon’s system is entrenched in racism, as revealed Feb. 26 by Vox/Recode. Review of internal data and interviews with workers and diversity managers showed that Black Amazon employees are underrepresented in decision teams, promoted less frequently and assessed more harshly than non-Black peers.

With Alabama’s history of enslavement of Black people, and legal segregation a living memory, it’s guaranteed that racist discrimination is present inside Amazon’s BHM1 warehouse. The warehouse opened in March 2020; by May, workers were so outraged at their treatment they sought out RWDSU, beginning the fight for union representation. Profit is what a company pockets after costs of labor and overhead are subtracted from sales revenue. In Marxist terms, profit is the value that workers produce, but are not paid for in wages — our unpaid labor. The lower the workers’ wages, the more profit capitalists keep for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5403/31/2021

r54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5503/31/2021

I want maximum productivity. Robots everywhere. No more labor exploitation that way, too.

by Anonymousreply 5603/31/2021

I swear one of my customers has ptsd from working in a warehouse for a few months. They make you work hurt, coronavirus spread all over the place, everyone getting "trucker bladder" from not being able to pee, infected paper cuts made from cardboard boxes shitty hours and pay and then at the end of the shift they had to get in a line for hours while security checked them for stolen merchandise. I'm shocked there hasn't been a mass shooting there yet.

by Anonymousreply 5703/31/2021

Yes, anti-union troll, we are familiar with the ad hominem attacks you use against anyone who is in favor of unions.

by Anonymousreply 5803/31/2021

It is true that unions lead to higher prices. Each GM car or truck made this year will carry about $1,900 in pension and retiree health care costs. That's up from about $1,300 last year. It's fine and great that all the Dataloungers want to pay an extra $2,000 for retired union workers, but I'll stick to buying imports.

by Anonymousreply 5903/31/2021

R58, I think it's quite the opposite. See R53. Some people can't imagine anyone being against unions, and so they accuse such people of being paid trolls.

by Anonymousreply 6003/31/2021

R60 there are far too many of them with little "factoids" that swarm these threads for them to be anything but. There may be a few who aren't in favor of unions but the amount and what they post is too trollish to be anything but paid agitator. It's transparently obvious.

by Anonymousreply 6103/31/2021

The thing that's funny is that this thread was pretty dead but the anti union trolls resurrected it.

by Anonymousreply 6203/31/2021

Also not mentioned is that Amazon's warehouses run just fine with unionized labor in Europe and elsewhere. It's hardly a death knell for the company.

by Anonymousreply 6303/31/2021

R62, the vote occurred, thus the inquiry as to whether the vote count had been completed.

by Anonymousreply 6403/31/2021

R64 you're reading a lot into "what's going on with this?"

by Anonymousreply 6503/31/2021

I would rather be in a union than not. Yea...unions can be corrupt and out for themselves, but they do offer some protection and negotiate raises and benefits. Without a union, a company can do pretty much do whatever they want...abuse, no raises, fire at will, lousy or no benefits. I don't know of any company that ever does the right thing, unless they have to by a contract, or law.

by Anonymousreply 6603/31/2021

Oops...excuse the clumsy text^^ *a company can pretty much do whatever they want...

by Anonymousreply 6703/31/2021

Companies can be corrupt too, r67. That's why a strong federal labor board is useful. Trump tried to dismantle it.

by Anonymousreply 6803/31/2021

Yes, of course...companies can be very corrupt. I know that.

by Anonymousreply 6903/31/2021

55% of workers voted. Results imminent. CNBC.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Thursday at 7:29 AM

Please please please !

by Anonymousreply 71Last Thursday at 7:49 AM

It's going to be a while. Amazon is challenging hundreds of ballots.

Good sign for the union effort, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72Last Thursday at 7:54 AM

Re 55% turnout figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73Last Thursday at 7:55 AM

They can't just shut down the warehouse if the union vote goes through. Many of the workers are POC.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Thursday at 7:58 AM

They could unleash a deadly virus in the warehouse!

by Anonymousreply 75Last Thursday at 4:20 PM

R74 hard to say now, but if this was 10 or 15 years ago, Amazon definitely would choose to shut down that warehouse. They have done that, not because of the union drive, it was taxation at the time. Some states passed the law to levy sales tax on Amazon because Amazon had the warehouse in those states, Amazon just chose to close the warehouse and opened a new one in the neighbor states. But now Amazon needs warehouses in almost all parts of the country to maintain a fast delivery network, it might cause some problem if they don't have any warehouses in Alabama, but whether they choose to keep or close that fulfillment center, an issue of POC workforce losing their job will never be their concern, the only things mattered to Amazon are profit and efficiency.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Thursday at 6:42 PM

Oh dear. Link isn't updated but links to this :

Alabama warehouse workers on track to reject forming Amazon’s first US union

Results have not yet been finalized, but workers so far have voted 1,100-463 against forming a union at the Bessemer facility

The Amazon fulfillment warehouse in Bessemer, Alabama. Ballots in the vote can be challenged based on several factors, such as the eligibility of the voter in regards to job classification or dates of employment.

Michael Sainato and agencies

Thu 8 Apr 2021 21.32 EDT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77Last Thursday at 7:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!