Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Our Lady of Fatima

What does DL think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 5, 2021 10:06 AM

wasn't there some movie about this?

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 4:06 AM

Yes r1. Fatima is on Netflix right now. I tried to watch and lasted about 5 minutes.

Didn’t Pope John Paul II have a visitation from one of the kids after he was shot? And the whole story was supposed to be revealed after his death? Was it?

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 4:14 AM

I don't think she's as popular as Our Lady of Lourdes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 4:29 AM

Or Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 4:30 AM

That movie freaked me out because they epilogue said 2 of 3 kids were snatched by god!

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 4:36 AM

This poor unphotogenic Portuguese kids were publicised across the world because their "secrets" mentioned Russia.

An enormous publicity campaign was mounted because at that time everyone was terrified of Communism invading half the planet.

The statue was taken to every Catholic country across the world and led to mass hysteria as crippled and blind people lunged themselves at the statue.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 4:40 AM

Our Lady of Lourdes? I don’t know her.

It’s all Fatima in SE Massachusetts — sometimes on the half shell; sometimes not — and she’s usually surrounded by Dr. Seuss flowers grown from seeds smuggled in from the Azores.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 4:55 AM

Meh. She's no Infant of Prague.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 5:01 AM

She's a Jewish lady with a Muslim name who happens to be worshiped by the Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 5:01 AM

The Virgin Mary appeared to the 3 kids in Fatima, Portugal. She said two of them would soon be with the Lord, but the other would remain on earth for a long time. Which was in fact the case with two of them dying within a short period of time, while the other lived to be an old woman. She also predicated the future assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 5:03 AM

The name is an ugly name.

I had assumed it would be pronounced to rhyme like 'Tina'.

But they insist it be be pronounced 'Fatty-ma'.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 5:05 AM

Didn’t she take the kids to hell?

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 5:09 AM

Her hat is a little much.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 5:11 AM

She truly put the FAT in Fatima!

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 5:12 AM

I've done the pilgrimages to both Fatima and Lourdes. The cathedral in Lourdes looks like a Disney castle.

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 5:13 AM

Judge not, R12. Judge not.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Fuck Fatima. Fuck Lourdes. Fuck Guadalupe.

Veronica Leuken, the seer of Bayside, Queens, is the real prophetess. Her visions of Mary appearing at the World's Fair Grounds in Flushing Meadow Park were real. The other claims made by grifters in other locations are all lies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 5:17 AM

R10 The 'Virgin Mary's prediction about a future assassination attempt was the so-called "Third Secret of Fatima".

But it's hard to get an accurate wording of the 'Virgin Mary's' words because the kids were speaking in another language and the Catholic Church shrouded the words with their usual pious mumbo-jumbo.

But Wiki says they are— [quote] 1. A vision of the souls in Hell. [quote] 2. A Prediction of the end of WWI and a prediction of the beginning of WWII as well as a request to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. [quote] 3.A vision of the Pope, along with other bishops, priests, religious and lay people, being killed by soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 5:17 AM

Tub Marys!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 5:18 AM

As a protestant, I have an issue with Marian apparitions, but it’s hard to argue with an apparition that can make the sun dance in the sky.

I think Francisco would have been a hottie if he has lived to be an adult instead of being called home so young.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 5:19 AM

The Virgin Mary has made a few appearances in various parts of the world through the centuries.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 2:41 PM

R20 I'd pay good money to see a Marion Ross apparition.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 8:32 PM

See, she's talkin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 8:37 PM

Supposedly there was also the Fourth Secret of Fatima. It was rumored to be Catherine Zeta Jones' real date of birth but that whore Lucia died before revealing it to the world.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 8:42 PM

Jesus appeared on my toast this morning.

What does it mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 8:45 PM

I think it was something like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 8:49 PM

I see MARY! several times a day on DL, so it may be true.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 8:50 PM

Chalk it up to mass delusion, like CPAC Orlando.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 8:52 PM

What, no warning about pedophile priests?

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 8:55 PM

R1 It was lousy movie. It was impossible to compete with that one starring Dame Gladys Cooper and co-starring Phyllis Isley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 9:15 PM

I’ve got married at Our Lady Help of Christians, Cheektowaga NY.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 11:01 PM

You can MARY me all you want but I cannot make it through Song of Bernadette without crying. It’s a beautiful film and every single performance is perfect. And Bernadette not being allowed to marry but sent to a convent instead is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 11:13 PM

The Virgin Mary hit the nail on the head when in 1917, she told the peasant children that the bother and sister would soon be with the Lord, but their cousin would remain on earth. They each then died in 1919 & 1920, but the cousin lived a long life, dying in 2005 at 97.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 4:16 AM

I am Catholic and I find this particular apparition of the Virgin Mary to be creepy and frightening.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 9:54 AM

The "Miracle of the Sun" part was kinda cool. In the Netflix movie, I thought Harvey Keitel's philosophical exchanges with the nun worked.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 10:02 AM

It sounds very erotic

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 4:03 AM

Is this where someone sees Jesus in a piece of toast?

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Mass delusion doesn't explain why thousands saw the sun dancing in the sky. Many who reported seeing the phenomenon were not religious or prone to magical thinking.

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2021 4:24 AM

[quote] Is this where someone sees Jesus in a piece of toast?

Ask R25.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2021 4:41 AM

Wtf does the “sun dancing in the sky” mean anyway?

I bet the RCC just played up the whole thing and people were afraid to go against anything the church said, perhaps thinking they were bad Catholics or would go to hell.

It’s not like anyone is around today who saw it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2021 5:12 AM

Since R40 seems to suffer from a lack of imagination, I have provided some eyewitness accounts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2021 5:49 AM

Does this halo make me look Fatima?

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2021 6:27 AM

What’s perhaps even stranger is the Catholic Church’s attempt to bury the entire thing in the latter half of the last century and onwards. It is something that they are very afraid of and it is speculated that the real last secret is still unknown.

by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2021 10:23 AM

[quote]I don't think she's as popular as Our Lady of Lourdes.

All I’m saying is that Madonna named her daughter Lourdes, not Fatty-Ma.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2021 10:32 AM

"Fatty-Ma" is incredibly ugly.

Why couldn't they change the name?

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2021 10:48 AM

No one has love for our Lady of Spain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2021 10:48 AM

Little scammers!

We had Catholics (CATHOLICS!!!!!! ) on one side of us as neighbours. I know: not something readily admitted to! And they were always called ROMAN CATHOLICS, which made them seem even more alien, and bottom of the rung. (Other minorities might as well have lived on some outer planet, so this one lone Catholic family served as the underdogs for the entire neighbourhood.) My mother told us in a lowered voice, with barely concealed contempt, one day when it came up, that Fatima had been “a big thing next door” at the time. i.e. Popery!!! More satanic Roman idolatry!!!! The daylight horror!!!

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2021 10:50 AM

All the Catholic women I have known(and I've known a few being raised a Roman Catholic)who prayed ardently to our Blessed Mother have had nothing but disaster after disaster in their lives. The lady will kill you I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2021 10:55 AM

Who remembers when nuns looked like nuns? Fantastic and terrifying. I remember being on trams as a small boy and when they climbed on (in brown robes with side chains swinging what seemed enormous dark wood crosses, they were like murderous wraithes! A catholic female friend tells incredible stories. For example they had to shine their shoes, but not TOO shiny, lest their upskirt reflection be glimpsed when on the street by a man!

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2021 11:00 AM

“sun dancing in the sky” -- on a rather rainy-rainy day with what looks like thousands of umbrellas ... when "the lady" appeared, the skies cleared. the sun shone and then The Sun [get it — son of god....?] came speeding towards the masses -- who thought it was a falling meteor or something kray-kray. the photos of that day are kinda interesting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2021 11:01 AM

This gal saw her chance for a little fame and power couched in piety — and RAN with it. At a time and place when women had few options. It’s like those little girls who claim to have seen fairies in the woods. People who believed went nutso.

Also, r47’s comment was wonderful. I’d read your stories.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2021 11:01 AM

That shoe story pertains to schoolgirls.

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2021 11:02 AM

[quote] I am Catholic and I find this particular apparition of the Virgin Mary to be creepy and frightening.

The only creepy thing about it are the faces of the visionaries. Young Lucia looked like a baboon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2021 11:02 AM

R49, I do!

There is an order somewhere here on the Upper East Side. Maybe on 72nd? Sometimes you’ll catch a glimpse of some of those sisters. And I think there are some brothers. They wear sandals! There’s also a guy who dresses like (what I imagine to be) some sort of Greek or Russian orthodox. He’s got fabulous robes and a hat, and a bushy beard. I’m imagining Russian because he looks like Rasputin.

Such wonderful costumes.

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 11:05 AM

I was a boy before Vatican ll and went to parochial school. Those nuns were the most unhappy group of people I have ever known with faces of such bitterness and anger. I ascribed it to sexual frustration. The priests were smug arrogant queens.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2021 11:08 AM

Cut your nails!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2021 11:11 AM

Did you have religious instruction in primary school? I did. On Friday mornings on the parade ground, after saluting the flag and honouring “our country and our Queen”, we had to divide up into religions.

Of course the vastest rank was Church of England, then a smaller group of (in the schoolboy lingo of the time), Baptists, Methos and Press-buttons, then a very small group of RC’s (Irish scum!), and then, the most damned of all, in which I was placed, a group of 14 called “Non-denominations and Atheists”. All the clergymen of the other groups took turns to instruct us. I remember an RC priest looking upon us with particular horror.

He picked up a piece of chalk, turned to blackboard and drew a small circle, labelling it ‘Earth’. He then drew a giant encompassing circle. This he labelled in large letters: SATAN. He then turned back to us. The lesson didn’t get any better!

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2021 11:18 AM

"No Fatimas or Fems"

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2021 12:53 PM

"The Virgin Mary hit the nail on the head....."

That's a bit of an awkward statement.

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2021 3:47 PM

Mary has spent her entire life trying to upstage Jesus.

My mother is like that.

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote]The only creepy thing about it are the faces of the visionaries. Young Lucia looked like a baboon.

These are dirt poor kids from 100 years ago. Your ancestors were probably no oil painting either.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2021 4:39 PM

I feel sorry for people who are taken in by these cons.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 5:10 PM

Juanita, you HAVE been missed, r60.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote]Many who reported seeing the phenomenon were not religious or prone to magical thinking.

You know this how, R38?

[quote]Mass delusion doesn't explain why thousands saw the sun dancing in the sky.

It is important to first verify that something really happened before making efforts to explain it.

R34, when you read 1 Corinthians 15:6 ('𝐴𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝐻𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑏𝑦 𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒 ℎ𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑛 𝑎𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑐𝑒, 𝑜𝑓 𝑤ℎ𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑒𝑛𝑡, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑛 𝑎𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝'), of how many is that testimony? Over five hundred? No, it is the testimony of only 𝑜𝑛𝑒 - the one who wrote that interpolated addition to the passage.

We don't have the testimony of 'thousands' who saw the sun dancing. It comes back to those few - or even one - who originally reported it that way. The original statement was embellished and then propagated in such a way that the credulous have since assumed that it had been verified as fact.

Claims about 'the Miracle of the Sun' took time - years, in fact - to build, and didn't really take off until they were set down in print, which is when what was expected of the 'vision' became standardized. From that point onward, there was religious participation pressure, a little like getting people to admit that they couldn't or didn't see the Emperor's New Clothes. In Catholic culture, particularly that of the cult of Fatima, to admit that one didn't personally witness what a religious wave of people were claiming to have seen tended to brand one as an outsider, tantamount to admitting to spiritual blindness, something none of them wished to do. Claiming that one witnessed it - or professing belief in the claim that 'thousands' witnessed it - has since become an important part of a culture of acceptance in the Church.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2021 5:25 PM

^^ Sorry, R38, not R34.

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2021 5:26 PM

R57, what shithole (and what century) did all that take place in?

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2021 6:18 PM

Ignore the terrible stories of Lucia murdering little Jacinta and Francisco so she could have the glory for herself.

Please.

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2021 6:49 PM

Join me! If you believe with enough faith, the Science of God will give you eternal Life!

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2021 6:50 PM

The 3 1/2 secret of Fatima:

A Whore in the House of White will not care do U.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2021 6:52 PM

Well, little girls are known to harbor dark secrets and deadly desires. I wouldn't put it past this little "Lucia" to scheme and plot to eliminate her betters.

One can't turn one's back on a devious little minx on the come-up.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2021 6:57 PM

Miracle of the Bells has more showbiz pizzazz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 7:19 PM

I work with a bunch of Filipina nurses, otherwise nice...

But they’re all cunty Catholics who would do anything or say anything to get a leg up on one another to prove they’re the best Catholics on earth.

So I’m sure every person in that crowd at Fatima wouldn’t dare say anything different.

by Anonymousreply 72March 4, 2021 1:57 AM

It has been over 100 years since the Virgin Mary made these appearances in Fatima. She should make new appearances soon.

by Anonymousreply 73March 4, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote] “Non-denominations and Atheists”

R57, were you non-denominational or atheist? And were you brought up as such or did you declare yourself to be either non-denominational or atheist in school?

by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2021 4:11 AM

r3/4r, You are correct at r4, but not at r3.

Guadalupe is the single most popular of the religious pilgrimages sites involving supposed Marian visitations, drawing in 10 million visitors per year; but Fatima is actually #2, with 6-8 million pilgrims per year. Lourdes is third, with 5 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 4, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote] "The Virgin Mary hit the nail on the head....."

[quote] That's a bit of an awkward statement.

Well she WAS the wife of a carpenter! Something practical had to rub off.

by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2021 4:19 AM

Tallulah once attended a Catholic Mass. As a priest walked past her swinging a container of burning incense, she whispered to him "Darling, your dress is divine but your purse is on fire!"

by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2021 12:16 PM

R77's story was old when I was a boy.

by Anonymousreply 78March 5, 2021 10:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!