Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blithe Spirit — are you bitches THERE for the new film version????

Starring “Downton Abby’s” Dan Stevens ... WELL????

Judi Dench or Judy ... Stench?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 6:10 PM

No one (and I mean NO ONE) cares.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 2:58 AM

I was just thinking of the 1945 version, because of the Margaret Rutherford thread. It completely underwhelmed me. I had read so many glowing reviews of it and it didn't live up to them at all. Can't imagine why they're reviving it in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 4:17 PM

This piece has a great concept but it’s not really that fab, overall.

And I really wonder what mental gymnastics were necessary back then to buy Noel Coward as a much married, straight catch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 4:27 PM

Oh, please....it's like that pathetic remake of "The Importance of Being Earnest" from years ago....It's been DONE, and VERY, VERY WELL....Just forget it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 5:00 PM

Saw Angela Lansbury’s 2015 LA run. The play was creakier than her performance — and that’s saying something!

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 5:09 PM

Dame Judi can rot in hell with Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 5:18 PM

Since this was the only version I have seen of BLITHE SPIRIT, I enjoyed it. I've read the synopsis of the play and this version has some marked differences, but it's a fun romp. Stevens is great and Mann isn't as annoying as she usually is. It's glad to see Isla Fisher doing something besides being Mrs. Sacha Baron Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 5:22 PM

Covid escapism at best. Just about passable as diversion for a rainy afternoon. Otherwise, life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 5:31 PM

boring

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 5:46 PM

Betty Bacall is fun in the 1950s TV version.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 5:53 PM

Leslie Mann continuing to get work despite lacking beauty or talent is one of Hollywood's greatest mysteries. She must work cheap.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 6:01 PM

R10 You rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 6:01 PM

[Quote] Leslie Mann continuing to get work despite lacking beauty or talent is one of Hollywood's greatest mysteries. She must work cheap.

Isn't she married to Judd Apatow?

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!