Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends, a lilac Queen Anne Victorian on San Francisco’s Alamo Square

$7.25 million

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 11:13 AM

One block away on Steiner from the world famous Painted Ladies. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 10:33 PM

The location is fabulous as is the house, but they've ruined the feel of it. It should be 3 apartments, not one grand house. And it's too modern and chi chi on the inside. They've lost the SF feel. Maybe it doesn't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 10:37 PM

Ome of my dream home types. It's beautiful

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 10:38 PM

It's lovely, even with the modern updates. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 10:54 PM

It looks like a cake on the outside.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 10:59 PM

R2 is the first time I’ve seen someone complain that a grand old home WASN’T separated into apartments.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 11:00 PM

Wow. I think this is one of the first times someone's posted a 'Tasteful Friends' house, and I actually liked it. Mostly. A few minor tweaks I'd make.

And really, since I live alone, it'd all be waste on me, but if I were in my dream relationship with fantasy friends, it'd be great :-)

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 11:02 PM

That hot tub!

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 11:08 PM

And it's right next to a park!

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 11:13 PM

[quote] It should be 3 apartments, not one grand house.

The listing indicates it was built for "The Hartter Family" back in 1899, so apparently it was originally designed as a single family residence, which is what its current legal designation still is per Redfin - unlike the same style residence right up against it at 814 Steiner, which is designated "duplex/flats" and has fire escapes on the one side (not to mention numerous city garbage cans lining the side walkway .. lol).

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote]The location is fabulous as is the house

I beg to differ. Alamo Square is not a fabulous location, it can be pretty sketchy.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 11:20 PM

I like what they did with the garden space. I would keep the slide, even.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 11:28 PM

I might be somewhat concerned about what could eventually be built on the three vacant lots just up from the house on the same block. The lots are RH3 (e.g. three residential units totaling 7000 sq ft per lot).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 12:18 AM

This rendering got shot down.

The horror!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 12:19 AM

I love love love it and you get what looks to be a part across the street, privacy in the back yard, and views. I love a good jacuzzi and that one was tastefully done. I'd love to fuck under that outdoor shower one night. Plenty of space for a family of 4 and a good price.

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 12:28 AM

A much cheaper, much purpler Victorian for 97% less!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 12:33 AM

Is it attached to the house next door???

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 12:34 AM

R17 From the street and overhead view, it looks like there's about 3" between the two houses. I guess they didn't believe in set-back lines back then.. lol! .. Also, the assessor shows the two houses were built 10 years apart.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 1:02 AM

Beautiful house despite the modern updates. I could live with the kitchen, but everything else I'd want to bring back to 1899, with any and all concessions to modernity concealed as far as humanly possible.

That heinous cheap looking light fitting in the dining room will be first to go, to be replaced with a nice Victorian chandelier on move in day

But the biggest problem is location - San Fran has quality of life issues to say the least, that I wouldnt want to deal with especially after spending over 7 mil

The house at R16 is a far better value, although it too has some heinous modern updates that need correcting, although of a different sort. It has decent garaging/ off street parking too which is unusual for homes of that era

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 1:59 AM

This is the house Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed in! I’d love to own a home that both Sally Field and Robin Williams had been in!

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 2:48 AM

I thought the Mrs. Doubtfire house was in Pacific Heights?

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 3:02 AM

That is NOT the Doubtfire house, you stupid fat whore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 3:06 AM

"And really, since I live alone, it'd all be waste on me,"

Rescue some animals and give them a nice home.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 3:09 AM

OH FUCK NO !!!!! Across the street from a park????!!!! Hell no! Tons of fools hanging out 24/7 across the street! PASS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 3:17 AM

Oh dear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 3:31 AM

Unpopular opinion, but I don't like Victorian houses. I do like Edwardian style houses, though.

Not sure about that neighborhood. There is, indeed, a huge vacant lot located 2 lots to the south. I wouldn't consider proximity to the Painted Lady houses (ugh) a plus. I don't see (on Google maps) that many useful things in walking distance.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 3:33 AM

It's nice. Though, climbing up and down the stairs it not to my likely.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 3:42 AM

It will probably be bought by some property management firm in Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, or London. They are hoovering up everything.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 3:51 AM

The view alone makes it a gem for those who can afford it. The exterior is cute from the front, but kind of an unsightly jumble from the rear.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 3:59 AM

I wouldn’t change a thing, though I’d run out of ideas for decorating each room.

As for the front, that entry is so deep. You’d have to take in a very possessive homeless person to keep people from camping up there as well as the lower landing. That would be the person using your outdoor shower.

That concrete slide(?) next to the stairs would be good for older dogs.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 4:12 AM

I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 5:11 AM

No, I'll take it! Thank you for posting; I absolutely love this. I finally have nothing negative to say.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 6:06 AM

It’s spectacular and I’m thoroughly shocked to scroll through the thread and see that most others agree.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 6:51 AM

[Quote]As for the front, that entry is so deep. You’d have to take in a very possessive homeless person to keep people from camping up there as well as the lower landing.

Aren't spikey wrought iron gates with locks made to keep them out?

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 7:05 AM

My ideal SF apartment is a Baushaus/Streamline low-ceilinged 3-4 room garçonnière with views on top of Telegraph Hill or other foggy hill, and done in impeccable 30s noirish design with chinoiserie accents.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 7:17 AM

I think this may be my favorite Tasteful Friends specimen ever.

Gorgeous. I literally can't think of a thing I'd change except the playroom upstairs (no need for that type of thing) and I'd put seating in the turret that actually lets you look out the windows there.

Swoon! Now where's my checkbook?

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 7:53 AM

[Quote]Baushaus/Streamline low-ceilinged 3-4 room garçonnière

Link please!

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 8:05 AM

$7.25 mill for an attached house! looool

Due to job transfers. a few friends moved out to San Fran about 20 years ago, they hate it there. The homeless are shitting on the streets, running around naked and nothing is being done, they claim the situation is worse than NYC. My friends are native New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 8:06 AM

I normally hate Victorians because of their stifling formality, but this house was able to keep some of it's best Victorian aspects while making it most livable in today's world. Like others have said one of the nicest "Tasteful Friends" to date

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 9:02 AM

I hate when they modernize Victorian homes. Hate it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 9:25 AM

R40 me too. If it has to be done do it as discreetly as possible.

I want a Regency or Victorian home with as few visible concessions to modernity as possible

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 10:17 AM

If Alamo Square is 'sketchy', a gurl better take her purse and bottle of peppermint spray to Marin.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 10:37 AM

What’s with the three locks and what appears to be an alarm on the the door in the last bedroom? What are they keeping out?

Beautiful house though.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 11:02 AM

It reminds me of the home in New York in Rosemary's baby. I just don't like this period of American architecture. People must try so hard to counteract the ponderous original design.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 11:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!