Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UK Counties as US States

This made me chuckle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 12:02 AM

Odd that Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee bordering California seems weird. Shouldn’t Massachusetts get Cambridge?

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 9:27 PM

Essex has to be New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 9:29 PM

Wales is California? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 9:30 PM

Merseyside is Minnesota? Yorkshire is Arizona? Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 9:32 PM

"Cardiff is LA and Swansea is San Francisco"—I don't see it

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 9:34 PM

Wales is California because it’s big and has nice National Parks.

That is the caliber of thought that went into this.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 9:35 PM

Idaho should be Lincolnshire.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 9:44 PM

Oregon and Oklahoma next to each other makes no sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 9:49 PM

Oregon = Cumbria - there's fuck all there but it's pretty

Oklahoma = County Durham - Totally unintelligible

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 9:55 PM

"The Isle of Wight is Hawaii because it's an island idk"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 9:57 PM

Which state produces tomatoes R10?

Swap it for that. There's fuck all on the IOW apart from greenhouses.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote] There's fuck all on the IOW apart from greenhouses.

We are not amused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 10:07 PM

No Iowa?

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 10:19 PM

Since I'm Californian and love Wales as well, that map makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 10:23 PM

R12 We can upgrade you to New Hampshire then.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] Which state produces tomatoes

1. California

2. Florida

3. Indiana

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 10:32 PM

Arizona is way too big here.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 10:42 PM

The Isle of Wight can be Indiana then.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 10:43 PM

I think I would have made North Yorkshire into Kentucky because of all the horses.

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 10:44 PM

Norfolk is flat, agricultural, and has been heavily militarized since WW2, just like North Dakota. The people talk funny in both places, too.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 10:49 PM

R16, New Jersey. You may be looking at statistics showing largest tonnage of tomatoes produced, but in the northeast, NJ is the state people think of when they think of tomatoes. This is unjustified, in my opinion, as both Pennsylvania and Maryland produce superior 'maters, but New Jersey tomatoes are inexplicably famous hereabouts.

My theory on this curious phenomenon: It's all about NYC. Upstate NY, even the Hudson Valley, is not ideal for growing tomatoes, and the season is short, so NJ is the nearest place that grows them in market-garden style for sale directly to the public or to supermarkets that feature local produce.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] both Pennsylvania and Maryland produce superior 'maters

What's "maters", precious? What's "maters"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 12:20 AM

R22, thank you. That was surprisingly and oddly hot. Very hot.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 12:35 AM

Wales is 1/20 the size of California, and has less than 10% of the population of CA.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 1:57 AM

R21, The southern half of New Jersey is a coastal plain composed of sandy soil that is naturally rich in the mineral glauconite, the main ingredient used in plant fertilizers. The soil conditions in south NJ make it ideal for growing tomatoes, corn, peaches and other valuable crops. Campbell’s Soup began in Camden, NJ using the area’s high quality tomatoes to make its canned tomato soup.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 3:07 AM

Does Cornwall in the Uk really have beaches and warm weather like Florida? If so, I will have to check it out. I thought every region of the UK was rainy and chilly.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote]Essex has to be New Jersey.

Let's just remember that NJ is the US's second wealthiest state (of the contiguous 48). Rates very high in education. In health care. Votes Dem.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 3:20 AM

Oh, and one more fact about New Jersey:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 3:39 AM

So by this, in what state does Hollyoaks fall?

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 3:44 AM

I thought Brighton was the Miami of UK, but it doesn’t look like Florida is covering where it is?

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 3:45 AM

Someone do European coutnries as US states please.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 3:47 AM

countRies.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 3:47 AM

R29 Minnesota or Michigan

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 9:01 AM

R30 I think the person that did the map saw Brighton more as Providence, RI.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 9:02 AM

r26, check these out. Very beautiful, but they are wearing jackets on the beach and folks are swimming! ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 9:07 AM

[quote]Campbell’s Soup began in Camden, NJ using the area’s high quality tomatoes to make its canned tomato soup.

Right. Because when you think of "high quality tomatoes," Campbell's tomato soup is the first thing that pops into your mind.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 9:14 AM

The Isles of Scilly are the nearest we've got to the Florida Keys, and mainland Kernow has a load of people speaking a different language, so not dissimilar to the Sunshine state.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 9:29 AM

Isles of Scilly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 9:29 AM

Scotland, one of the most far left parts of the UK, is Texas? This guy's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 9:45 AM

R39 One word for you. Three letters. Starts with O and ends with L.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 9:50 AM

I'm not sure whoever made this has ever been to either the UK or the US.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 9:53 AM

Beg pardon, but as a lifelong native of Herefordshire, I feel my county and not Worcestershire ought to be West Virginia. Herefordshire is very like WV, from to the valleys, agriculture and forestry down to the family feuds/incest and the potent local alcohol (Worcestershire has none of the aforementioned). I feel kinship and familiarity with Hatfields & McCoys, in a way I don’t with any other American cult figures.

As less apt but still sense-making alternatives, I’d also consider Herefordshire a fairly close cognate for Kentucky (race horse-breeding), Oklahoma or Texas (for beef cattle), Pennsylvania or Washington State (for apples & cyder), or Wyoming (for green hill country). It’s simply nothing like Mississippi, unless one considers the Marcher Lord territory wars equivalent the U.S. Civil War.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree that Gloucestershire is akin to Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 12:12 PM

Tell us more about Isles of Scilly, please.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 12:19 PM

In the US southerners say I RECKON.

I sometimes hear characters on UK tv shows say- I RECKON. I guess whatever region southerners hail from must be the same one that people in the UK still say I reckon.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 12:47 PM

Cornwall would have been better as California. It is where all the surfers and artists go.

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 1:03 PM

R45 Yeah but the average age of Cornwall is like 80, so I get the Florida comparison.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote]Scotland, one of the most far left parts of the UK, is Texas? This guy's an idiot.

Scotland is the whitest part of Britain. There have been more Scottish politicians with Black or Brown in their name elected in the last 20 years than there have been people who are actually black or brown.

A lot of Scottish Nationalists were VERY VERY ANGRY that the new Scottish Labour leader elected this weekend is a British Pakistani Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 1:42 PM

[quote]The Isles of Scilly are the nearest we've got to the Florida Keys, and mainland Kernow has a load of people speaking a different language, so not dissimilar to the Sunshine state.

Cornwall is also a popular holiday destination for the wealthy, many of whom have second homes there, yet the area as a whole remains very deprived.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 1:48 PM

R47 Scotland is whiter than England and yet is the first to have a leader of a major political party be from a minority group, it also took British government hundreds of years to have a female elected leader, took Scotland less than 20 years of having a modern parliament for that to happen. Oh and the majority of Scotland wanted to stay within the EU and is very aware of the positives that immigrants have had on Scotland and yet England and Wales have turned their backs on the EU and have shown what they think of immigrants with the Windrush scandal. So yeah, Scotland is one of the most far left parts of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 1:56 PM

Scotland as Texas doesn't refer to the people there as much as the oil there.

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2021 2:27 PM

What is Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2021 2:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote][R47] Scotland is whiter than England and yet is the first to have a leader of a major political party be from a minority group, it also took British government hundreds of years to have a female elected leader, took Scotland less than 20 years of having a modern parliament for that to happen. Oh and the majority of Scotland wanted to stay within the EU and is very aware of the positives that immigrants have had on Scotland and yet England and Wales have turned their backs on the EU and have shown what they think of immigrants with the Windrush scandal. So yeah, Scotland is one of the most far left parts of the UK.

Let's see how Anas Sarwar fares during the campaign, and just how many Scottish people want a dark skinned Muslim First Minister.

As as for trying to portray Scotland as a beacon of feminism, you do know about the inquiry going on at the moment regarding Nicola Sturgeon's handling of complaints about sexual harassment and assault committed by Alex Salmond when he was First Minister and she was his deputy? Complaints that led to the Scottish civil service ensuring that women staff members were never left on their own with Salmond? This abuse was reported over a period of 7 years yet Sturgeon knew nothing, indeed when she became First Minister she was happy for Alex Salmond to stand as an MP in Westminster. Being a woman doesn't mean you give a shit about other women.

The Scottish Nationalists are more like the Republicans than Democrats. The corruption and racism in Scotland makes Texas a suitable comparison.

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2021 2:44 PM

R27, it's surprisingly hard to find household income data by UK county, but Essex has a relatively high median income - not second-ranked (that would seem to be Surrey, no surprise, after Greater London at #1), but pretty well-off compared to most of the country. The stereotyped "Essex man" or "Essex girl" is not poor, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 12:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!