Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. continue to let the sunshine in!

Wholy shit Marilyn still sounds fucking great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 3:38 PM

They are fabulous. Look good, sound great, upbeat, long marriage....what’s not to love? Marilyn is an underappreciated songstress.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 6:57 PM

Love the Fifth Dimension. Marilyn looks and sounds terrific.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 7:03 PM

So underrated!

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 7:06 PM

She still looks fucking fantastic. A beautiful young woman then, a beautiful older woman now.

And yeah, VERY underrated. She had an incredible voice. She STILL sounds great.

Have always loved her.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 7:09 PM

I'm so happy they didn't ruin their faces with surgery that would make them like freakish.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 12:23 AM

Nancy Giles getting down the Let The Sunshine In gave me LIFE!

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 12:25 AM

This segment made me tear up.

It was FLAWESS.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 12:30 AM

sex-ooooooooo !!!!

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 3:07 AM

Marilyn has such clear beautiful tones when she sings. Criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 3:35 AM

Love them! They were on Days of our Lives about a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 3:51 AM

They are such lovely people. Not at all like typical showbusiness people

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 3:56 AM

The Fifth Dimension were so fabulous, I grew up listening to them. One of the best groups ever.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 5:43 AM

They always say eating disorders and coke habits are so dangerous but in hollywood hardly anyone ever dies from them!

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 6:02 AM

Agree, they look and sound terrific. The Fifth Dimension's music is so good and stands the test of time, and yet it is quite underrated.

I also like the albums they did together in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 6:23 AM

I met Marilyn and Billy and then years later worked with them. Lovely people, gracious, professional, talented and friendly. What an absolute pleasure.

The Fifth Dimension: Aquarius/Lat The Sun Shine In. What a great song defining a generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 7:50 AM

Marilyn is right next to Whitney in my book.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 8:25 AM

The Fifth Dimension performed at my college's homecoming concert. They came in the night before to do a sound check. We were stuffing our homecoming float inside a large garage attached to the venue. After they finished, they came over and spoke to us about our float, grabbed some crepe paper, and helped stuff it into the chicken wire. It was a break from their routine, and they behaved like excited children. We laughed and had a great time. Ultimately, we won the float contest and sent them a picture of the finished product, along with our thanks. They wrote back, saying that they had had a great time and to let them know when the next float stuffing party was going to take place. Wonderful people.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 10:24 AM

Just because.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 2:26 PM

Oh R17 that's sweet. You should write them and tell them that memory!

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 2:28 PM

Her voice is pure like an Alpine spring.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 2:43 PM

Love hearing these nice stories. Somehow they're more surprising and gratifying than stories of celebs being awful.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 2:51 PM

Bitch is 77

AND

looks that good

AND

can still sing!

Unlike some other hussies we know *looks at Miss Warwick*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 3:20 PM

Yes, and Miss Warwick was NOT HAPPY when she was replaced by Marilyn McCoo on "Solid Gold'.

I love Miss Warwick but McCoo was much better suited to singing all the very varied and sundry tunes by different artists highlighted on 'Solid Gold'. There are many of the McCoo duets available on YouTube.

If you watch them both, there's no comparison. McCoo sang the song and celebrated the artist with which she was singing. Warwick just highlighted herself.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 3:37 PM

77, wow.

Her vocal on “Last Night I Didn’t Get to Sleep At All” (a brilliant song, perfectly arranged) is exquisite. Zero affectation to her singing.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 3:38 PM

'Black don't crack' are three of the truest words ever spoken.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 3:42 PM

My dad always liked her. She does have a great voice and doesn’t try too hard to belt out notes. They just flow naturally. Plus, I like her version of “Saving All My Love for You” better than Whitney’s.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 3:50 PM

Marilyn is great. Kind woman.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 3:56 PM

What a gorgeous slim figure Marilyn had and still has. She's taken care of herself. Inspiring!

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 4:05 PM

I thought that they were evangelicals?

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 4:36 PM

gorg!!!

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 5:23 PM

R29. They are. They have loved The 700 Club & TBN since the 70s.

They appeared countless times to congratulate Pat Robertson on his many fine accomplishments.

So many "news" segments on his show bashed us with various AIDS issues, being a thereat to children by wanting the right to adopt, join the military, marriage equality etc. but I guess the above posters only care if this gruesome twosome are nice to them "in person". The 700 Club & TBN both wanted the hypocritical sodomy laws to remain for us while heteros weren't charged with them at all. Maybe Billy & Marilyn would be nice to visit the above DLers in prison but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 5:53 PM

Some of us didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 6:00 PM

Didn't Donna Summer also show up on the 700 Club?

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 6:09 PM

Oh, do fuck off, R31 and R33.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Fuck YOU r34. It's a relevant question.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 6:17 PM

Billy has a small, uncut cock. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 6:26 PM

Never liked Dionne’s personality, but the SOLID GOLD producers did stick it to her. And Marilyn stepped right in and quite obsequious from what I understand. I did enjoy some of the Fifth Dimensions music though; ONE LESS BELL TO ANSWER was my karaoke jam.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 6:49 PM

R34 Go onto The 700 Club or TBN websites where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 7:31 PM

r38 we're not religious nuts, just pointing out facts.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 7:40 PM

MARY! me all you want, but I was smiling and tearing up a bit during that whole segment. I was born in 1970, but my parents loved the Fifth Dimension and I grew up with them playing in our house. One of the few musical acts my parents liked that I liked as a kid. Even my older brother, who was into hard rock, thought Marilyn was awesome.

She was so beautiful and chic on Solid Gold...then I remember she was on Days of Our Lives for a while. She looks fantastic now; not all plumped up and no glaring plastic surgery.

Oh, and I remember Nancy Giles from China Beach! Fun to see her now as a reporter/interviewer.

Thank you for sharing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 7:54 PM

R39 What facts are you pointing out?

You're supporting 2 religious nuts like they are some left leaning or even secular do-gooders who have done no harm to our community.

They're NEVER condemned or distanced themselves from any of the religious right for their slander or bigotry against our community in count 'em 40 plus years!

I didn't bother to click on the above interview but I'll go out on a limb that the "reporter" drooled all over these two instead of doing the homework & asking them if they ever regret aligning themselves with bigots who have said the worst things imaginable against us. O'l Pat recently claimed gays had some kind of AIDS rings that gays use to transmit the AIDS virus.

He repeated this on more than 1 occasion starting at least in 2013 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 9:00 PM

Your life must be very sad, R 41.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 9:37 PM

Why R42 Because I oppose anti-gay bigots who come up with the dumbest stuff ever said about a particular group like (AIDS rings & handshakes) on an pro gay website?

I don't think so.

If you're gay you must be one of those log cabin self haters that lurk around here from time to time.

Sad & self hating = R42

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 11:45 PM

I blocked R41's stank ass.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 12:52 AM

McCoo was an anomaly in the music industry and in the African American community at the time. She was a college educated 1% er (parents were both physicians).

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2021 2:11 AM

billy sounds great too/

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2021 3:20 AM

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2021 4:27 AM

Anyone have clips of their short live variety show on CBS? Or the best of Marilyn solid gold?

Too tired to go to YouTube

TIA

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 4:55 AM

Last aging singer with a voice so clear was Ella Fitzgerald. Unfortunately, the Warwick sisters and the Houston family all screwed up their great voices as they aged - all due to smoking (different things).

And Julie Andrews’ voice just disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 5:41 AM

R49 Those voices were in constant high demand.

McCoo's voice not so much.

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2021 8:54 AM

Poor R44 can't deal with the facts of this situation so she has to announce to the whole world

who she is blocking (like people really care about that sort of thing from drama queens in the first place).

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 9:13 AM

It didn't disappear, r49, it was surgically removed.

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2021 4:43 PM

It was a botched surgery R52.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 4:45 PM

I believe I pointed that out, r53. Was I unclear?

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 4:55 PM

Yes you were unclear R54. You said it was removed as if that was the intention.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 4:56 PM

I think most people know one doesn't intentionally have their voice surgically removed, r55. But you do you.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 5:02 PM

It's nice to see "classy" black entertainers from that era. All the black singers now are so fucking ghetto and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 6:12 PM

Wonderful interview — they both look and sound great!

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 6:50 PM

R57 At least a majority of the ghetto or trashy black singers of today are left-wingers

with a few exceptions like 50 cent & some others that I can't even name right now LOL!

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 10:13 PM

Here's the list, R59.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 11:13 PM

R50, voices in constant demand can function properly if well taken care of. That’s what constitutes a professional singer, and though training helps, it’s not necessary. Singing two hours a day hardly puts a big stress on your voice. Talking at noisy events, screaming, making gutural sounds, smoking, drinking, staying up all night, substance abuse, do. I should know because I sang professionally and also did all of those, and was able to enjoy the difference when I didn’t imbibe.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2021 6:50 AM

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 3:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!