Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hyatt hotels facing major backlash both for hosting cpac in Orlando and allowing nazi-symbol shaped stage

here's the stage pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2021 6:14 PM

more about the odal rune

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 6:46 PM

Hyatt statement that they're inclusive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 6:47 PM

lots of comments on twitter now urging a boycott

I'm all for it

even without the nazi symbol stage, hosting cpac means you are complicit with a seditionist, terrorist sympathizing bigoted party

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 6:48 PM

I guess Hyatt means "inclusive" of Nazi Confederates!

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 6:48 PM

I'd have more respect for Hyatt if they just would have said, "Business has been way down and we needed the money."

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 6:49 PM

I will miss the Park Hyatt Tokyo, but fuck any fascist enablers. Loews made sure to cancel Josh Haw Haw.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 6:56 PM

Did Sitler consult with the stage designers? I'd really love to know whose idea this was.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 7:00 PM

You would, wouldn’t you, R7? Hehe...

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 7:05 PM

Mid Atlantic Leather for January 2022 at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill sold out in 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago, one year in advance. Pretty sure they've been hosting that gay leather orgy weekend for a couple of decades.

So, yeah, they have a documented history of being "inclusive" and would be inviting a shitstorm if they canceled one and not the other.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 7:05 PM

The internet did what the internet does, R7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 7:07 PM

One would think any business founded by a Jewish family would be a little less tone deaf about catering to neo-Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 7:10 PM

I am staying at a Hyatt right now. Ha.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 7:10 PM

They need to be more self-aware and should have ix-nayed this event.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 7:12 PM

You know, at first I kept looking at the star in the CPAC logo...

It was only when r10 posted the tweet that it was the stage itself that was the logo that I noticed.

They're like children hiding their little hand signals and such thinking they're being oh so clever.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 7:13 PM

SURELY THIS STAGE set-up could NOT be pure "coincidence"?! i mean seriously, why would any stage be built so odd? so pointed and discombulated as to where to walk entering or leaving, where to stand and so on?..it's like a damn obstacle course! this has to be made like this ON PURPOSE!

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 7:16 PM

I'm sure that this is somehow my fault.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 7:17 PM

R16, it’s Hilton that you shill for.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 7:20 PM

Speaking of, how do I make this about me?

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 7:33 PM

For perspective:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 7:34 PM

Please tell me why Trump hasn’t started 500 lawsuits against Casler? He must be telling the truth about him, and Trump must be worried about other things he knows and hasn’t disclosed yet.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 7:38 PM

I saw the Nazi emblem at first glance.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 7:47 PM

[quote] I saw the Nazi emblem at first glance.

The flag with the black spider on it makes people nervous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 7:50 PM

Hyatt is a shit hotel anyways.

The SJW doing wordplay on “Nazi” is tactless though.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 8:21 PM

The Mormon Marriotts, I can see, but the Hyatt? What? And in Orlando! I’m shocked!

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 9:50 PM

The Hyatt Hotels Corporation called symbols of hate “abhorrent” on Sunday after the design of a stage at the right-wing Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) at one of its hotels drew comparisons to a Norse rune used by Nazis during the second world war

High-profile Republicans including former president Donald Trump were attending the four-day event in Orlando, Florida, as conflict raged between Trump allies and establishment politicians trying to distance the party from him.

A photo of the CPAC stage went viral on social media on Saturday, with thousands of Twitter users sharing posts comparing its distinctive design to an othala rune, also known as an odal rune, one of many ancient European symbols that Nazis adopted to “reconstruct a mythic ‘Aryan’ past”, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

The ceiling of the conference room featured a lighting display in the same shape as the stage, according to Reuters photographs.

Hyatt said all aspects of conference logistics, including the stage design, were managed by the American Conservative Union, which organized the conference.

The comparisons were “outrageous and slanderous”, Matt Schlapp, chair of the American Conservative Union, said on Saturday. He added the organization had a “long standing commitment to the Jewish community” and that the conference featured several Jewish speakers.

In its statement on Sunday, Hyatt said: “We take the concern raised about the prospect of symbols of hate being included in the stage design at CPAC 2021 very seriously as all such symbols are abhorrent and unequivocally counter to our values as a company.”

Some Trump supporters who launched a deadly insurrection against the US Capitol on 6 January carried Confederate flags, which many Americans see as a symbol of oppression and slavery. Extremism experts said some of the rioters were members of white nationalist groups.

The rune was seen at the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 that saw violent fights with counter-protesters and one civil rights activist killed when a neo-fascist drove his car into the crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 12:08 PM

The people claiming that the stage design is just a coincidence, and critics are imagining things, are the same people who went on claiming that the white supremacist finger gesture was just an "ok" sign long after every deplorable was smugly sneaking it into photos.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 12:16 PM

What

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 12:22 PM

You're right r15, it was certainly on purpose, and I think that ugly golden munchkin statue of Trump was also made to look like the proverbial golden idol. Attention at all costs, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 12:32 PM

Hyatt is still owned by the Pritzker family of Chicago right? They're largely Democratic superdonors although there is that right-wing one who IIRC is a Trans now?

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 12:43 PM

Trans is beautiful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote] anyways.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 1:25 PM

That golden statue of hair furor looks like it needs to be holding up a cheeseburger on a tray...

...and don’t these conservative Christians see the biblical golden calf parallel?...

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 1:29 PM

Hyatt?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

As if.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 1:32 PM

No see, the stage has a bar across the bottom. It's totally different and just coincidence just like all the other Nazi elements that keep showing up in the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 1:50 PM

R23 It's the pun that bothers you?

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 2:18 PM

I don't think I've ever stayed in a Hyatt before and now I have even less reason to.

Love the tears and rage from 'conservatives' who complain about cancel culture. Me being selective in where I spend my money is just capitalism sweetie, I thought you were all for that?

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 2:35 PM

Well, I guess we could see if the designer of the stage is a nazi or enjoys runes. But it seems like a real stretch without more evidence. Is the idea that this will somehow make conservatives more popular? How?

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 2:42 PM

Hey, Republicans, how ya like your party, now?

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 2:49 PM

I heard Bannon had a hand in the design.

Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 2:59 PM

So the gameplan was to have something that looks like a Nazi symbol and then attract votes? How would that work? I think I'll need more evidence about this scheme.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 3:00 PM

I have a feeling they were all giggling when they got a Jewish Neocon up there to speak.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 3:02 PM

R40

It's not a gameplan or a scheme. It's a simple, straightforward dog-whistle.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 3:08 PM

[quote] But it seems like a real stretch without more evidence. Is the idea that this will somehow make conservatives more popular? How?

Think about this from their perspective: They live to "OWN THE LIBS". Nothing is more important to them than making the other side look bad

Proverbially, it's a classic cutting off your nose to spite your face. But, to them and their huckster con-artist leadership, there is no such thing as bad publicity--especially if they an use it to show how weak and cancel-y the left is.

Hyatt, on the other hand, is up to three or four statements:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] Well, I guess we could see if the designer of the stage is a nazi or enjoys runes. But it seems like a real stretch without more evidence.

What’s a stretch is “coincidentally” designing a stage like that. Have you ever seen a stage so convoluted and with the risk of falling off so easily apparent?

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 3:49 PM

You got to be careful around those stages. I know.

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 3:49 PM

I somewhat think that Hyatt deserves a break. Do the have their own reps checking and overseeing stage designs for the conferences and conventions? It defies conventional thinking and normal logic that this kind symbolism would be used in any public function. How could Hyatt have caught it unless they were looking for it? And why should they have thought to look for it.

The best they can do now is ban future CPAC gatherings on their property.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 5:56 PM

I agree with you in theory, R46.

But I also know from personal experience that it had to be built, and the lighting had to be hung, and those plans are submitted weeks, if not months in advance. People from Hyatt absolutely had eyes on this. No production of this scale leaves anything to chance because if a circuit blows or a support collapses then liability and blame (rightfully) fall on the shoulders of the host. Nobody is going to allow a nationally broadcast production team to show up with a "build whatever/wherever you want" attitude. I would suspect that a conference center of this size even has union affiliated in-house technical director(s) and electrician(s).

I also understand from my friends in technical theatre that there is literally an industry standard of configurations to be avoided--and this is at the top of the list. All of that indicates that objections almost certainly would have raised at Hyatt and overruled by someone fairly senior at corporate.

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 6:14 PM

That design was no accident. Hopefully a good journalist is uncovering who designed it and who from crap - I mean cpap - consulted with the designer. It would be interesting if it were Schlapp, who expressed righteous indignation when asked about it...

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 6:17 PM

Thank you for that information, r47. It's a good perspective for people who aren't in the industry

Well, this just drives it home.

[Quote]I also understand from my friends in technical theatre that there is literally an industry standard of configurations to be avoided--and this is at the top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 6:41 PM

I'll add this, R49

If you design a setup and there happens to be a load bearing pillar in the way, or there is an HVAC duct occupying the space where you would need to hang the lighting from, then wouldn't you want someone to tell you in advance? Now, forget about want and think of it from a legal perspective. An exchange of the renderings and a sign off must have been in the contract. Nobody is going to want to take the blame for something going wrong and the former ImPotus looking even worse than he already is.

From what I understand the industry tool is called CAD and would look kinda like this--which both standardizes understanding of every material, bolt, lamp, cable & wattage, etc., and intentionally, eliminates the "oops, I didn't realize it would look like that from that angle" excuse:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2021 7:13 PM

R43 lol you know it's bad when multiple statements are issued.

R46 Hyatt doesn't deserve a break because they should have realized the backlash they'd get just hosting cpac at all following the insurrection and the repub party's enabling/support/gaslighting about it. This stage scandal makes it even worse.

It makes one wonder why they didn't just host cpac at a Trump property

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2021 7:54 PM

Nazi symbols ... Nazi symbols everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2021 9:21 PM

The Olympic torch is also a Nazi symbol.

Shameful and Sinful.

It must be banned!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2021 9:36 PM

Regarding boycotting Hyatt--It's not so much about the stage design, as it is about Hyatt agreeing to host the insurrectionist parties party. Fuck em, I'll keep my hotel business in other chains.

by Anonymousreply 54March 1, 2021 9:43 PM

In its statement on Sunday, Hyatt said: “We take the concern raised about the prospect of symbols of hate being included in the stage design at CPAC 2021 very seriously as all such symbols are abhorrent and unequivocally counter to our values as a company. With that in mind, we are going to do absolutely nothing about it and possibly be grumpy with CPAC at next year's event."

Fixed it.

by Anonymousreply 55March 1, 2021 9:48 PM

A mere coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 56March 1, 2021 9:49 PM

Were the Trump hotels not yuge enough to hold the insurrectionists--er, Nazis--er, I mean, hateful bigots--er, um, Conservatives?

by Anonymousreply 57March 1, 2021 9:55 PM

Theme song for this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 1, 2021 9:57 PM

CuntPAC Fires Back:

[quote] Contrary to Hyatt’s own mission statement of inclusivity, your company just attacked its own customer by caving into the pressures of the politically motivated social media agitators who seek to destroy CPAC.

[quote] Hyatt made a decision to issue additional statements late last night after the conference ended that disparaged and defamed us. These statements appear to validate demonstrably false and malicious claims.

[quote] For months we have collaborated with your team on logistics, including sharing, reviewing, and approving the stage design that was created by one of our subcontractors.

[quote] The fact that no one on the Hyatt staff ever raised concerns during the process shows the ridiculous nature of your statements. Moreover, your statements falsely conceal your oversight role.

[quote] In fact, the Hyatt Hotel, with our organization and subcontractors, approved and worked collaboratively to build this stage. Only after a coordinated far-left assault to destroy our conference arose did you succumb to lies and compound them with your own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 1, 2021 10:06 PM

This is the first I’m learning of the runic Nazi symbol, so I’d like to cut Hyatt some slack. But fuck em for taking Republican money anyway!

by Anonymousreply 60March 1, 2021 10:09 PM

Lmao at Hyatt. Now both liberals and conservatives hate them.

Serves them right for being so stupid as to associate themselves with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 61March 1, 2021 10:10 PM

Booking my vacation at Hyatt!

by Anonymousreply 62March 1, 2021 10:10 PM

That's what they get for doing business with anything Trump is involved in. Everything he touches turns to shit. And nobody gets paid.

by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2021 10:35 PM

Keep Trump, and the racism, and the Nazi symbols, and the QAnon shit FRONT AND CENTER. It's who the Republican Party is.

by Anonymousreply 64March 1, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]The comparisons were “outrageous and slanderous”, Matt Schlapp, chair of the American Conservative Union, said on Saturday. He added the organization had a “long standing commitment to the Jewish community” and that the conference featured several Jewish speakers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 1, 2021 10:40 PM

People keep thinking that there are some sane Republicans. Most of those folks abandoned ship long ago. It is only racists and kooks now.

by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2021 10:45 PM

They don’t even try to hide their hatred anymore. That’s good though. Maybe more people will wake the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 67March 1, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] Booking my vacation at Hyatt!

[quote]—Dee Plorable

Bitch, please. You never stayed anywhere nicer than a Motel 3.

by Anonymousreply 68March 1, 2021 10:49 PM

Illinois governor J. B. Pritzker‘s family owns the Hyatt chain and he is Jewish himself. Wonder what he thinks about this disgusting stage in his hotel.

by Anonymousreply 69March 1, 2021 10:51 PM

[Quote]People keep thinking that there are some sane Republicans. Most of those folks abandoned ship long ago. It is only racists and kooks now.

Don't forget the amoral profiteers without a political bone in their bodies unless there's cash to be made from Dee and her husband, the chronically out of work HVAC guy.

by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2021 11:00 PM

Bullshit. I love Hyatt.

by Anonymousreply 71March 1, 2021 11:09 PM

R59 lol the irony of cpac accusing anyone else of defamation

but still, Hyatt is deserving of all the shit they're getting for hosting this to begin with

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 3:38 AM

They just wanted to get "odal rune" out into the world and into the public consciousness, bad look be damned. Mission accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 73March 2, 2021 5:07 AM

Why didn't they hold this at the Trump hotel? (Actually, is there a single Trump hotel still in business?)

by Anonymousreply 74March 2, 2021 4:06 PM

I don't think Trump hotels have facilities large enough. It used be held regularly in Maryland at some convention facility, but I assume the state Covid restrictions put the kibosh on that. What's so funny is that almost all of the people in the audience pictures look ancient. Previous years crowds looked much younger. The conference used to be known as a bacchanal and fuck fest for young conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 75March 2, 2021 4:18 PM

Was Grindr abuzz all weekend?

by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote] Design Foundry said that the American Conservative Union approved the stage design, which was “intended to provide the best use of space, given the constraints of the ballroom and social distancing requirements.”

[quote] “ACU and CPAC have no interest in promoting antisemitism from our stage, whether it’s what happens on the stage or the design of the stage itself,” Walters added. “It’s clear that the company we retained designed a stage that has become an unwelcome distraction. As a result, we will not be using that company’s services going forward at future events.”

[quote] Design Foundry said it was “saddened and horrified at the accusations that this was a deliberate act. Design Foundry denounces all hate speech and acts of racism, prejudice, or bigotry in all forms.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2021 11:17 AM

And according to Yashar Ali, the design firm's founder is "is very liberal and was so excited for Biden’s victory."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2021 11:26 AM

QAnon expert/conspiracy debunker Mike Rothschild:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2021 11:27 AM

They really dishonored the American flag 🇺🇸 by putting it on that stage.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2021 11:29 AM

Not buying the explanation. It's a bizarre design. Who would design a stage with so many open spaces? There's a literal hole in the middle, right where people enter and exit. Isn't that an unnecessary fall hazard?

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2021 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!